TV & Films Recommendations

1682362188851.png

TV Show:
Severance
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
iMDB Synopsis: Mark leads a team of office workers whose memories have been surgically divided between their work and personal lives. When a mysterious colleague appears outside of work, it begins a journey to discover the truth about their jobs.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of April 23rd to April 29th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Evil Under the Sun (1982)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: Trying to find how a millionaire wound up with a phony diamond brings Hercule Poirot to an exclusive island resort frequented by the rich and famous. When a murder is committed, everyone has an alibi.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Prisoners
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
Description: A dark mystery/thriller from my 2nd fav. director, Prisoners follows a distraught vigilante father following the disappearance of his daughter and her friend during a dinner gathering. Acting is top notch from the whole cast, but the less you know about the plot events and characters going into it, the better!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
El Cuerpo (2012)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A detective searches for the body of a femme fatale which has gone missing from a morgue.

Television

%pluralist
Show:
Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003)
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: The events and battles of the Galactic Republic's last major war are recounted.

(If you like Genndy Tartakovsky’s other work, I think you might enjoy this one too!)

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Beef
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Two people let a road rage incident burrow into their minds and slowly consume their every thought and action.

1682499771904.png

Film: Rye Lane
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Synopsis: Dom (David Jonsson) and Yas (Vivian Oparah) have a chance encounter at a mutual friend's art exhibition. At first, they seem to only have one thing in common – both of them had recently gotten out of terrible relationships. But after a day of mischief and mayhem, the pair realise they're more in tune with each other than with anyone they have ever been with.

Last edited:
1683155908447.png

Film: Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
Genre: Adventure, Comedy
Synopsis: After being mistaken for terrorists and thrown into Guantánamo Bay, stoners Harold and Kumar escape and return to the U.S., where they proceed to flee across the country with federal agents in hot pursuit.

SHOW: Transformers Animated
GENRE: Sci-fi, Animation
SYNOPSIS: The Autobots and Decepticons arrive on Earth in a futuristic Detroit, where they befriend Sari Sumdac and her father Isaac, who is a famous robotics manufacturer. The Allspark grants Sari a Key with a myriad of useful powers, (including healing Autobots and even reviving a temprorailly-dead Optimus Prime), and she comes to discover her own origins are linked to the Cybertronians, all the while being caught up in the Autobot/Decepticon war.
Sari Key 2.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of April 30th to May 6th

Movies

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Genre: Drama, Horror
IMDb Synopsis: A young couple trying for a baby moves into an aging, ornate apartment building on Central Park West, where they find themselves surrounded by peculiar neighbors.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Better Call Saul
Genre: Crime, Drama
Description: The prequel spinoff to Breaking Bad starring Jimmy McGill, which chronicles his road to becoming the infamous legal personality Saul Goodman.

BCS is a fantastic extension of the Breaking Bad universe, but also an excellent show even when viewed on its own. I would be very curious to see new fans of the franchise view the 2 chronologically and give their takes on both but I only just wrapped up the finale episode this morning so I'm a little torn myself on which I like better. Regardless, there are some fantastic characters making their BB universe debut in BCS whose actions affect goings-on in Breaking Bad before it ever fully ramps up. A truly fantastic television experience!

+Zipzapadam
Show:
The Owl House
Genre: Action-Adventure, Animated, Comedy, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: Accidentally sent to the world of the Boiling Isles before a trip to summer camp, a teenage human named Luz longs to become a witch, with the rebellious Eda and pint-sized demon King at her aid.

1683293289374.png

Film: Ready or Not (2019)
Genre: Comedy, Horror, Thriller
Synopsis: A bride’s wedding night takes a sinister turn when her eccentric new in-laws force her to take part in a terrifying game.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 7th to May 13th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Ghost World (2001)
IMDb Synopsis: With only the plan of moving in together after high school, two unusually devious friends seek direction in life. As a mere gag, they respond to a man's newspaper ad for a date, only to find it will greatly complicate their lives.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Mask of Zorro (1998)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Thriller, Western
IMDb Synopsis: A young thief seeking revenge for his brother's death is trained by the once-great, aging Zorro, who is pursuing his own vengeance.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Colombiana (2011)
Genre: Action, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A young girl in Bogotá witnesses her parents' murder and grows up to be a stone-cold assassin.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Some Like It Hot (1959)
IMDb Synopsis: After two male musicians witness a mob hit, they flee the state in an all-female band disguised as women, but further complications set in.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Final Space
Description: One of my favourite modern cartoons which was unjustly cancelled late last year in the wake of the WarnerMedia/Discovery merger BS. This week I highlight it following a very recent announcement by creator Olan Rogers who has revealed he was given license to produce a graphic novel to wrap up the show's story, and it is currently available for pre-order now! With some luck, perhaps the series may be revived to animate the final chapter in the future, but there are still 3 full seasons out there somewhere that are full of fun action, characters and humour!

1683773041245.png

Movie: 3 Idiots
iMDB Synopsis: Two friends are searching for their long lost companion. They revisit their college days and recall the memories of their friend who inspired them to think differently, even as the rest of the world called them "idiots".

PenQuin

!dice 100
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

Film: Slumdog Millionaire(2008)
Genre: Drama, Crime, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: Jamal Malik is an impoverished Indian teen who becomes a contestant on the Hindi version of ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’ but, after he wins, he is suspected of cheating.

PenQuin

!dice 100

Film: Parasite (2019)
Genre: Drama, Thriller, Comedy, Korean
IMDb Synopsis: Greed and class discrimination threaten the newly formed symbiotic relationship between the wealthy Park family and the destitute Kim clan.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 14th to May 20th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
In the Loop (2009)
Genre: Comedy, Satire
IMDb Synopsis: A political satire about a group of skeptical American and British operatives attempting to prevent a war between two countries.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Demolition Man
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Description: On the surface, I would describe Demolition Man as a "pretty good action/sci-fi flick", but beneath that it is an incredibly witty satire set in a dystopian future. Sly Stallone plays a cop suspended in cryo sleep for an operation gone wrong who is reanimated in a peaceful and idyllic future to match wits with a loose criminal from his original time. The dialogue and worldbuilding outshine the action but that's not to say there isn't plenty of that as well.

Despite doing well at the box office, critic reviews weren't glowing (big surprise), though it has since become a bit of a cult classic and is still one of my favourite Stallone films of all time.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Lorenzo's Oil (1992)
Genre: Biography, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Lorenzo Odone, a Virginia 5-year-old, develops a degenerative nerve disease so rare that nobody is working on a cure, so his parents decide to immerse themselves in research and tackle the problem themselves.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Mars Needs Moms
Genre: Animated, Action, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: A young boy named Milo gains a deeper appreciation for his mom after Martians come to Earth to take her away.

SHOW: Ben 10 (original)
GENRE: Animation, Sci-Fi
SYNOPSIS: Ben Tennyson finds a watch-like alien device called the Omnitrix while on a summer road trip with his grandpa Max and cousin Gwen. With this device, he can transform into 10 (and later more than 10) different alien species to battle various enemies from both Earth and space.
Ben 10.jpg

1684453485608.png

Show: Arcane
Synopsis: Set in Utopian Piltover and the oppressed underground of Zaun, the story follows the origins of two iconic League Of Legends champions and the power that will tear them apart.

PenQuin

!dice 100

Show: Kitchen Nightmares(2007-2014)
Genre: Reality
IMDb Synopsis: Gordon Ramsay visits struggling restaurants across America and spends one week trying to help them become successful.

I love Chef Ramsay in this series. Seeing him holding these people accountable gives me a rush of happiness.

Last edited:
FILM: Ant-Man
GENRE: Superhero, sci-fi, action, adventure
Synopsis: A man who wishes to re-connect with his daughter gets his hands on a super-suit that let's him shrink down to insect size, and undertakes a daring heist mission to keep the suit's inventor's former employer from using the size-changing tech for malicious purposes.
antman.jpg

1684812320962.png

Movie: Red Notice
Genre: Action, Comedy, Thriller
Synopsis: An Interpol agent successfully tracks down the world's most wanted art thief with help from a rival thief. But nothing is as it seems as a series of double-crosses ensues.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 21st to May 27th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Ninth Gate (1999)
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A rare book dealer, while seeking out the last two copies of a demon text, gets drawn into a conspiracy with supernatural overtones.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Three Days of the Condor (1975)
Genre: Crime, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A bookish CIA researcher in Manhattan finds all his co-workers dead, and must outwit those responsible until he figures out who he can really trust.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Invincible
Description: Trust me, bro. Also, don't miss the post-credits scenes. Season 2 coming Soon™!

+Zipzapadam
Show:
The Middle
Genre: Sitcom, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: The daily mishaps of a married woman and her semi-dysfunctional family and their attempts to survive life in general in the town of Orson, Indiana.

PenQuin

!dice 100

Show: Spartacus(2010-2013)
Genre: Action, Historical Drama, Sword and Sandals
IMDb Synopsis: The life of Spartacus, the gladiator who lead a rebellion against the Romans. From his time as an ally of the Romans, to his betrayal and becoming a gladiator, to the rebellion he leads and its ultimate outcome.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 28th to June 3rd

Movies

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: In late 1950s New York, a young underachiever named Tom Ripley is sent to Italy to retrieve Dickie Greenleaf, a rich and spoiled millionaire playboy. But when the errand fails, Ripley takes extreme measures.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Wind River (2017)
Genre: Neo-Western, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: A wildlife officer, who is haunted by a tragedy that happened because of him, teams up with an FBI agent in solving a murder of a young woman on a Wyoming Native American reservation and hopes to get redemption from his past regrets.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
The Princess Diaries
IMDb Synopsis: Mia Thermopolis has just found out that she is the heir apparent to the throne of Genovia. With her friends Lilly and Michael Moscovitz in tow, she tries to navigate through the rest of her sixteenth year.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Reacher
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
Description: After being wrongfully arrested and roped into a small town conspiracy in the middle of the day, the stakes get higher and higher as we, the viewers, torment ourselves wondering just one thing: will Jack Reacher ever get to taste that first bite of Georgia peach pie?

My guy Alan Ritchson (of Blue Mountain State fame, among other things) shines in the lead role of this surprise hit first season on Prime Video last year. It's got action, style and good writing, and I'm excited to see what a potential season 2 looks like.

@ Buffy
Show:
The Vampire Diaries
Genre: Supernatural, Drama, Action, Adventure
Description: To my surprise, this show is incredibly well written. The intricacies of how things connect in the story, even as things get more complicated and seemingly more disconnected, certain ends are tied together so well and the parallels are done beautifully. There is so much thought put into the development of all the characters and they all work so seamlessly together, with a couple of big standouts--none of which are even the main character is fantastic.

FILM: The Bad Guys
GENRE: Heist, Mystery, Adventure
SYNOPSIS: A gang of criminals comprised of a wolf, a snake, a shark, a piranha, and a tarantula struggles to reform while also plotting a heist and ending up trying to foil someone else's heist and subsequent evil plot.
funcard bad guys.jpeg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 4th to June 10th

Movies

%Zipzapadam
Film:
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Genre: Action, Adventure, Animated, Comedy, Superhero
IMDb Synopsis: Miles Morales catapults across the Multiverse, where he encounters a team of Spider-People charged with protecting its very existence. When the heroes clash on how to handle a new threat, Miles must redefine what it means to be a hero.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson
Genre: Comedy
Description: Season 3 dropped just a few days ago, so go catch up on the best sketch comedy show still ongoing!

How to describe the show... Have you ever had an obscure joke or thought that you felt COULD be funny, but the idea was only half-baked, so you either decided against saying it out loud or just didn't know how to polish it before throwing it out in a group conversation? Well, Tim Robinson and his writers/regular cast are superb at taking those scraps of comedy and magically stretching them into a full scene in a goofy and absurdist way. It's full of nuanced performances and fantastic misdirects, and I know my fellow fans are prone to sneaking references into casual conversation whenever they can.

@ The Benz Mafia
Show:
Veep
Genre: Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Former Senator Selina Meyer finds that being Vice President of the United States is nothing like she hoped and everything that everyone ever warned her about.

Last edited:
ie_100751-1.jpg

Show: Fear The Walking Dead
Genre: Horror
Synopsis: Living in the same universe as The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead is a gritty drama that explores the onset of the undead apocalypse through the lens of a fractured family. Set in a city where people come to escape, shield secrets, and bury their pasts, a mysterious outbreak threatens to disrupt what little stability high school guidance counselor Madison Clark and English teacher Travis Manawa have managed to assemble. The everyday pressure of blending two families while dealing with resentful, escapist, and strung out children takes a back seat when society begins to break down. A forced evolution, a necessary survival of the fittest takes hold, and our dysfunctional family must either reinvent themselves or embrace their darker histories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)