Two random cores, put together

Introduction
I built this team because I was bored and I had a stroke of inspiration. Forretress and gengar make up a good spinner/hazard/spinblocker core, and magnezone, and two dragons make up a good dragmag core. Why not combine them together? I then added mamoswine to revenge dragons, which could already by revenged by salamence, and to provide a solid physical attacker. Pretty much this team relies on luring steels like ferro (with mamoswine and dragons), and scizor(they are forced to BP gengar, mence, or mamo), and trap them with magnezone. Surprisingly, it got my decayed alt to 1450 rating, #25. So then, here's the team.

Team at a Glance

In Depth

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Forretress is part of the hazard+ghost core I was talking about. Its also a kind of defensive pivot against stuff like gengar and latios, which explains the SpD evs. I run gyro ball (0 speed IVs), because I needed it to hit gengar too. SR+TS, theoretically does amazing when their tyranitar switches into my latios, but I haven't been getting them yet. Using toxic spikes kind of hampers forrie's ability as a spiker when the opponent has a tentacruel though. Other notable stuff it can do is spinning on ferrothorn, too.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Mamoswine is the basic physical attacker of my team, and I usually lead with him if I don't suspect a scizor or rotom-w lead (partly because it can 1HKO ttar). So people will ask, why not the lead SR set? Well, I say that I need more power, and its a somewhat safe bet that the opponent won't have bronzong or rotom-w (Which still takes a lot from damage from stone edge). It's also one of my non-choiced attackers, giving it a fair amount of versitality, and its my only priority user, which is helpful. It also gets scizor to bullet punch, making it magnezone bait.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

Latios is pretty much the wall breaker of this team. I can spam draco meteor, switch to magnezone on a steel, and then recommence draco meteor spamming. Its dragon typing allows it to switch in on various electric type including rotom-w, and it gives tyranitar and blissey hell with stealth rocks and toxic spikes. Moveset is standard. Psyshock for secondary STAB, and trick for jirachi and blissey/chansey.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Pain Split

Gengar is the spinblocker of my team, and it has the ability to switch in on many physical threats like gliscor, landorus, and terrakion, given the prediction. I chose a pain split set because I wanted a offensively oriented set, and I wasn't getting wish support anyways. Its also one of my few terrakion checks and it is very versatile with life orb and its two move coverage. It also takes advantage of scizors and jirachi's magnezone traps.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Salamence is my favorite for a drag mag team, and for a good reason. With choice scarf, it always starts off with +1 speed, revenging key threats like dragonite and gyarados. With moxie, it does both of the things it does best in one turn: Getting kills, and setting up. Once steels are gone, it has a solid offensive pressure on the team and can sweep the opposing team easily.

Magnezone (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magnezone is pretty much what makes this team works. With specs, it can put a large dent in threats like jirachi, and it can easily revenge scizor. The set on the analysis has a bulkier variant, but I don't know why I'm actually using this offensive variant. Volt switch is there for momentum, especially when I'm killing off scizors. Thunderbolt is for power, and flash cannon is for ground types switching in. HP fire is for ferrothorn and scizor, which is pretty annoying. I don't run sub charge here because I want to be offensive and make sure that ferro doesn't get any hazards up, anyways, these guys should already be running stuff like fire punch, bulldoze, or superpower anyways.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Pain Split

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Magnezone (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

anyhoo, being a huge fan of dragmag, gonna test this team, looks solid

i dont think fire blast on mence is necessary with zone on the team.

if you use volt switch on forry over gyro ball, thats 3 cores. (volturn with zone)

forretress doesnt look like it fits the team, i would go for a deoxys-d lead to give you more momentum.

deoxys-d can prevent hazards setup with taunt also

forretress doesnt look like it fits the team, i would go for a deoxys-d lead to give you more momentum.
Using Deoxys-D means there isn't a spinner on the team, which means Salamence won't have the ability to keep switching because of SR, and due to Choice Scarf, switching is inevitable.

I actually agree with Razza in that Deoxys-D fits this team better. Salamence may have a Stealth Rock weakness, but this specific Salamence doesn't really switch that much like you said. This set is meant to come in lategame when everything on the opposing team is weakened into 2HKO range of Outrage and also in OHKO range from +1 Outrage. Salamence should then come in on something that is OHKOed by unboosted Outrage, and then everything will guaranteed be KOed by its attacks.
Deoxys-D also helps here as it gets up Stealth Rock + Spikes much easier than Forretress, and those entry hazards leave the opponent in KO range from +1 Outrage.

You can't have Outrage with Moxie, due to Outrage being a 4th gen move tutor move I'm afraid, and I'd personally stick with Forretress :P But that's just me! Haha, but everyone has different styles of play right? :)

Jets, why do you think Taylor edited it out of your post? Outrage + Moxie is in fact legal. The only illegal combination with Moxie is Dragon Dance + Outrage + Moxie, just Outrage is perfectly fine.

I don't really know about having forretress yet. Forre is a good defensive pivot against stuff like latios and gengar, and my team doesn't have any safe switch-ins for those threats if I replace it.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I think Deoxys-D fits this team much better, and I'm talking from my experience since I run a really similar team 1 month ago (the only difference was latios, lol). To be fair, rapid spin doesn't matter that much on teams like this, as the offensive pressure is usually too high so it doesn't really let the opponent many chances to set up hazards.

Good Job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)