Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not like what I read about the bold part, but at the same time I know why Pika Xreme would be quite strict about it.

I don't wanna have my submission disqualified just because people would transform it into the Holy-type. Instead I can simply allow a few holy-themed moves but we should still focus on elemental light. Best compromise is to allow around 5 holy/paladin-themed moves at maximum for the voting result of Light-type (if it wins that is), so that we will not get too many of them to the point of losing the significance of the "elemental Light-type". The Z-Move should not be holy/paladin themed, and the match-up should not be too much about holiness flavorwise, and mutual weakness between Light vs Dark is not recommended. Pokemon that would get Light-type should be based on rainbow, illumination, and other actual light sources instead of holiness. Remember that there is Noble and Hero types who haven't won yet.
...I don't understand what you're saying. My whole point there is that a concept is more important than a name. You made a concept and slapped a name on it. A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet, but something foul going by the name of "rose" is no good at all. If someone reworked it into holiness, it would, as far as my philosophy goes, no longer be your submission, but theirs.

I only ever liked the Light-type concept at all because it avoided the pitfalls that other versions of the type fall into, and existed solely as raw, elemental light. If the Light-type picked up significant elements of holiness, it would no longer be the type I was voting for. In fact, it would become a type I would have most likely mocked you relentlessly for. For the rest of your life. And most likely into our next lives, or the afterlife, or whatever happens after you die.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
...I don't understand what you're saying. My whole point there is that a concept is more important than a name. You made a concept and slapped a name on it. A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet, but something foul going by the name of "rose" is no good at all. If someone reworked it into holiness, it would, as far as my philosophy goes, no longer be your submission, but theirs.

I only ever liked the Light-type concept at all because it avoided the pitfalls that other versions of the type fall into, and existed solely as raw, elemental light. If the Light-type picked up significant elements of holiness, it would no longer be the type I was voting for. In fact, it would become a type I would have most likely mocked you relentlessly for. For the rest of your life. And most likely into our next lives, or the afterlife, or whatever happens after you die.
Ah. Fine then. It will be my responsibly to make sure people will not turn my Light from raw element to holiness with a reminder and warns those who are making holy-based stuff to change them.

For those who insist to have holiness on Light-type, please don't force me to change my Light type concept. I intend it to be light elemental, not holiness, since the first time I submitted it. Plus Noble and Hero are intended to be the "Generally Good" type and I do not want to compete with these either. My apologies, but Pika Xreme and Jpixelcube and a few others liked my concept not just because of the name.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Light
Off topic but I'm happy that I can finally join in on this after lurking in this thread for a long while, felt like joining in during discussion would be confusing for me.

If fire can just be fire, why can't Light Just be light?
Funny you’d say that, cuz you’re wrong. It’s also magma, which isn’t fire at all. Hot, sure, but molten rock is anything but fire, just really pressurized rock in its liquid state, yet we have Magby/mar/mortar and Slugmacargo as well as Lava Plume. Also heatwave, which is hot wind is not actually fire.

If it’s the concept itself and not the type that matters, why would anything matter beyond how said type effects the type chart?

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Funny you’d say that, cuz you’re wrong. It’s also magma, which isn’t fire at all. Hot, sure, but molten rock is anything but fire, just really pressurized rock in its liquid state, yet we have Magby/mar/mortar and Slugmacargo as well as Lava Plume. Also heatwave, which is hot wind is not actually fire.
I might be misunderstanding, but fire is literally related to lava and shit, but holiness is "figuratively" related to light. It works for Fire, but since I guess we're going for a more literal sense with Light, then it's okay.[/quote][/QUOTE]

If it’s the concept itself and not the type that matters, why would anything matter beyond how said type effects the type chart?
Okay but you know what is usually seen as a form of fire in most if not all games that have it? magma. And heat in general is usually put in fire because fire is the epitome of "heat". I mean, if you want to get that technical, "blaze kick" isn't fire but a kick, so it's not really fire, is it? but they're all considered fire as an element. Fire is also seen as holy, but we don't have Holy heat or anything like that, do we?
Also, he's talking about how the concept relates to everything else. He's not saying that the only thing that matters is the concept, it's that the concept is what the heart of the type is, and to change that fundamentally changes what the type is supposed to be. That's why we don't want to let light be turned into holy stuff, because it changes the concept from an elemental type to essentially a morality type that we already have two types that are trying to work together to get. I think light should just stay as light.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Y'all are bums. Someone submits a move / ability / item that y'all don't like, ignore it. Someone's view of what the Light typing should be might not be y'alls, but that's OK. From what I have seen, once a typing wins, it's no longer what the submitter says it is, and it purely up to whoever jumps in and subs a move / item / ability for it. If a newbie jumps in and submits twenty angelic moves for Light, who gives? Just like, don't vote for them. Y'all really making a big deal out of something with a simple solution.

Now please announce Light as the winner so I can submit Angel Wings as a lit item.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Y'all are bums. Someone submits a move / ability / item that y'all don't like, ignore it. Someone's view of what the Light typing should be might not be y'alls, but that's OK. From what I have seen, once a typing wins, it's no longer what the submitter says it is, and it purely up to whoever jumps in and subs a move / item / ability for it. If a newbie jumps in and submits twenty angelic moves for Light, who gives? Just like, don't vote for them. Y'all really making a big deal out of something with a simple solution.

Now please announce Light as the winner so I can submit Angel Wings as a lit item.
You are right over here. If we don't want something, we should as well not bother voting for them. As much as I prefer Light as an elemental, a few would go for another direction. Ultimately, though, I will do anything in my power to make it elemental as I intended it so (do my stuff, no voting for stuff I do not want), and don't try to convince me otherwise.

I don't usually open up a new phase here, as it is Gravity Monkey's job to announce a winner(s) and to move on another phase.

Last edited:

this is where i would do a strikethough AAAAAAAA if we weren't being so serious right now. Honestly, the fact that the typing falls out of it's submitter's hands is one of the main potential problems that i can see with this pet mod, as it could easily turn things we were able to find a way to have as differing types (noble and hero, for example), and then make one them just completely overtake the other. using my example, if hero-type was then taking over those with heroic intentions and just anything slightly heroic, it would take away what noble-type was supposed to be. But yeah, it is ultimately up to what voters say, so we just have to hope they agree with the submitter's vision.

Also, I'm interested in the Angel Wings. Are they just like Air balloons? they likely don't fit with elemental light-type but I just want to know what they are going to do.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
At the moment, Light have now 10 votes, making it a winner by a landslide. I guess AquaticPanic is right for asking for the voting phase to end sooner.

All left is for Gravity Monkey to come and confirm Light as the winner, and then the big submission part for one type (my favorite) will begins.

That's not what I was saying at all. The concept, and not the name, is what what determines what the type is.
And I think it’s the type chart that is most important. Remember, this is smogon. We’re not some 5 year old kids with no clue about game mechanics farting around on a game boy trying to catch them all and thinking Charizard is the best because a cartoon made it look cool.

And I think it’s the type chart that is most important. Remember, this is smogon. We’re not some 5 year old kids with no clue about game mechanics farting around on a game boy trying to catch them all and thinking Charizard is the best because a cartoon made it look cool.
No, but this isn't "Make a completely balanced type chart: the mod", it's about the typings themselves and how they would work in the game. I don't think we should focus all of our effort on only just making typings that balance everything, because that would make most of our typings not unique. Yes, balancing is important, but i think that the typing itself should be about it's concept more than anything else. Otherwise, why even submit a concept if nobody actually cares about what the concept is and only wants to use it to balance the matchups or to nerf a specific pokemon or type.

You're one to talk, Mr. OU Marshadow Man. Once you're designing types just to counter one specific 'mon, one that is doing fine in Ubers as is, you really have no right to talk about game balance, or about not being a 5-year-old for that matter.

Not to mention suggesting restricting natures for certain types, and literally not understanding the concept of "coverage moves" and "secondary STAB".

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
As much Pika Xreme had a point alongside Jpixelcube, there's need to tone down toxicity and stop being pushy about the situation right now. There is a difference between being reasonable when arguing and the less-than-desirable way to do it; being desperate and just want to get what one wanted, and being snarky in an argument.

This Pet Mod, like all Pet Mods, is just for fun and to discover so many potentials. We really need to tone down the argument, lest this thread will get locked if this goes out of hand.

Look, I may come of as blunt, but I do not join this Pet Mod just to witness the argument of "What type should be about" instead of following the concept. "Let people do what they want", I get it, but don't change a concept just so you will indirectly nerf something in Uber; it will ultimately backfire as it might end up being either limited or even OP.

Clearly, if this ever get locked just because of all (admittedly) pointless argument about Light-type, I could as well just make a future Pet Mod with that stars Light and another Type (most likely another one that haven't won yet) and at the same time a typical "make manier things viable in OU" in my style.

Last edited:
Yeesh, I never said specifically for Marshadow, I said to stop the dominant capacity for Ghost/Fight coverage to be so strong. Although, I bet if Marshadow were Bug/Grass though, it wouldn’t be in the tier it’s in now.

There is no need to be so crass though, I haven’t done any personal attacks on anyone as rather than striking down eac other until you try and make them go away, build up each type until it finds its place in the meta and collaborate. This is a team effort is it not?

Aslo, I wasn’t callling anyone a five year old, I’m just saying I don’t want this mod to become less than balanced and didn’t mean to come across as an Attack.

I’m curious though, has anyone created their own typechart before? Because I have tried to balance one out, I’d post a link but I’m Gonna warm ya, it’s got wood in it.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Official post​
(Honestly, I had no other ideas)

Typing: The Mod {Slate #5 (Light Type) - Submission phase}

Congrats to Samtendo09 for winning this phase with his space type. Now that everyone has (hopefully) calm down a little, we're entering in the long, fastidious but really exciting submission phase. As always, here are the rules:

In submission phase, you can submit for any of these:
- Matchups (complete list, one per user)
- New moves (with healer typing)
- New abilities
- New items
- Modification on older of those things
- Pokemon modifications (you have to give the healer type to the pokemon you modify, but you can modify other things as well if you want the pokemon to be usable in upper tiers)

When doing modification on pre-existing stuff, or when creating a new ability or item, be sure to have a maximum of explication so we can clearly understand how it is linked to the new type. It will be refused if it's not relevant enough.

Also, remember that distribution for custom moves and abilities will be discussed in the distribution phase next week, but feel free to post examples.

With that in mind, I think we are ready to go on!

Matchup
Offensive:
2x against: Ice, Water (Intense light can make water evaporate and Ice melt), Ghost (Ghosts usually don't come out during daytime, so why not), Bug (light can usually trick a bug)
1/2 against Grass (Grass LOVES light.), Fairy (Fairies usually control light), Ground (light can't pass through the ground), Light (light + more light = more light. most elemental types are light this so light makes sense)
0x against Fire (Heat Creates light, and Light Creates heat. so using those types of attacks on each other would only really give the other more power.)
Defensive:
2x from Grass, Ground (See above), Electric (Electricity can create artificial light that can last when real light can't)
1/2 from Water, Ghost, Bug, Light (See Above)
0x from Fire (See above)
Explanation/Niche: Have you ever wanted grass to be good against something that water and (Somewhat) fire aren't? Here's Light type. Since Grass uses light to, you know, live, it makes sense that it'd be really good against it, and if you really don't want to deal with a light-type, bring Torterra. Also, a fire immunity in both directions because it's interesting and fits logically. I didn't put dark-type as the only reason I could think of was that "Evil always comes to light" and I didn't think that was good enough, personally.

Light Absorb
Effect:
If hit by a light-type attack, it does no damage and buffs ATK.
Explanation/Niche: Fun fact, I based this off of necrozma base vs necrozma-ultra stats, and the stat it buffed the most was it's normal attack, so I decided to make it that. This is basically your "I don't want to deal with light anymore" ability, essentially made just for necrozma.

Shineiate
Effect:
All normal moves become Light-type, and do 1.2x Damage
Explanation/Niche: your average -Ate move. added an I as shineate didn't sound as good.

Light Burst
Effect:
If it uses a light-type move, Sharply increase ATK.
Explanation/Niche: It's basically to allow Ultra-Necrozma to have an ability that fits it's regular form while also fitting it story-wise.

Shining Plate
Effect:
Light-type Plate
Explanation/Niche: that's pretty much the only reason it's here. if you haven't noticed I use "light" and "shining" too much.

Heliolisk
Normal/Electric > Light/Electric

Necrozma-Ultra
Space/Dragon > Space/Light

Last edited:
Matchups:

Attacking
SE: Steel, Ghost, Fairy, Dark, Dragon?
NvE: Poison, Electric, Ice, Space, Bug, Light
0x: Grass

Defending
SE: Poison, Space, Time
NvE: Fire, Electric, Ghost, Light, Fairy,
0x: Dark

Rather than Light being Anti-Dark, I've wanted to create the trinity of Dark > Psychic > Light > Dark... but I feel like I'm not gonna be allowed to ever have my dream be anything more than a personal spreadsheet.

Anyway...

Steel burns under light and Ghosts shudder to the lack of shadows, and Fairies too tend to prefer the moon and the dark. Many come out at night to commit mischief. Water evaporates rapidly, seriously, shine a fuckton of light on water, it'll disappear, and darkness also fades from light. Dragons also tend to horde treasures in dark Caves.

The whole psychic thing is about Psychics being enlightened by their open minds and thus can see with their minds and not with light. Unfortunately psychic has like 4 SE hits and 1 resist and immunity, meaning its scary as hell right now and a go to attack type as STAB or coverage.

Smog traps light and Electric makes its own light, Ice reflects it with its Albedo Effect, and space bend it away. Bugs just dgaf. When the sun kills us all with radiation, most bugs will be here long after we disappear.

Grass however absorbs sunlight, and again Psychic is beyond Enlightened, but the type chart... is it too late to beg for some big changes to better fit my dreams? Please?!

As a defensive type, Poison traps light for endless Greenhouse effect, and Spacetime bends and contorts light. Light is a good type to get use of your new type coverages! Did bolding help attract you to the idea? The resists should be obvious, I hope. Darkness has trouble penetrating light. (Heroes on the other hand can be corrupted by greed or fel magic, but heroes aren't light and the yinyang of good vs. evil is not this.)

What does this do? Well, using a Light type version of Fire Blast with 100 SpAtk and STAB produces this.

252 SpA Light Type's Light Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 328-388 (101.2 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And this Light Type physical Quick Attack, same stat situation...

252 Atk Light Type's Flicker vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 156-184 (48.1 - 56.7%) -- 30.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Are you interested yet? What about 4xing Magerna or Greninja (without Protean)?

A new lease on life for bug and grass types? Brush off the Old Exeggcutor after a few years? Maybe use that Dhelmise or Mega-Sceptile you forgot existed? Or some of the bugs with good stat spreads will find new lease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)