Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this guy do like just some simple Focus Sashed Stealth Rock lead set, or is it just better to use Mamoswine/Tyranitar/Aggron/Ferrothorn etc for that?

He may not be very good from what you guys have said, but he could be a thing in Wi-Fi at least since he's one of the very few things with SR obtainable pre-Pokebank in X/Y. I'm tempted to use one on-cart because he'd be one of the few low-effort Stealth Rock pokemon you can get right now.

Last edited:
Man, I'm given up on trying to make this guy work. Just too slow to outrun his bad typing I feel, which makes me really uneasy about using him. If I'm treating him as a liability, I probably shouldn't be using him in the first place.

Best luck I've had with him is switching in on Stealth Rock setup and catching ferrothorns by surprise with a Jolly Life Orb'd Fire Fang. He also discourages Gale Wing from entering 3v3 single rotations, too.

Has anybody tried using this guy with scoliopede? After two speed boosts or so, this guy could be a real wrecking ball.

This is a very strange set, but in right situations he can be a good set upping pivot, since he can take 2~3 hits from everything physical that isn't super effective, thanks to his 110ish Defense.

252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Atk, Leftovers.
Head Smash
Dragon Claw
Crunch (or other coverage move, I use Crunch to exterminate Aegislash)
Dragon Dance

Let him Dragon Dance and then kill everything. Tbh his only big threat is M-Lucario and Azumarill, and maybe M-Scizor. You can switch Head Smash to put Thunder Fang with Tought Jaws to hit flying types (mostly Skarmory) and Azumarill, but you will lose great power and coverage from Head Smash. He can get a set up or two on Talonflames really easily.

I think you might want to switch out dragon claw for another move. Sure, it's more powerful than the fangs, but it is ONLY SE against dragons. Ice fang might be a better bet if you want dragon coverage-dragonite, garchomp and salamence are all hit for 4X damage with it, making it superior to dragon claw if that's what you're aiming for.

I think we should all just agree that, except for the possibilty of outrage, dragon moves on Tyrantrum are very lacklustre. Edge/Smashquake with fangs is his best chance alongside Ddance if you want a boosting move. Offensively, that's as good as he gets, and it's pretty good.

Not that I would ever try, but how is a defensive Ttrum? His HP and Def are respectably high. he might do ok on a sandstorm team with Assault Vest, Stealth rock, Dragon tail, Toxic, and a coverage move of choice, no?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think we should all just agree that, except for the possibilty of outrage, dragon moves on Tyrantrum are very lacklustre. Edge/Smashquake with fangs is his best chance alongside Ddance if you want a boosting move. Offensively, that's as good as he gets, and it's pretty good.

Not that I would ever try, but how is a defensive Ttrum? His HP and Def are respectably high. he might do ok on a sandstorm team with Assault Vest, Stealth rock, Dragon tail, Toxic, and a coverage move of choice, no?
That set wouldn't work very well since Assault Vest can't be used with status moves at all, sadly, so using an Assault Vest would make Tyrantrum completely unable to use either of Stealth Rock or Toxic :/.

In general i kinda dislike the idea of running a defensive Tyrantrum of any form, while its physical bulk is respectable you have to remember that Tyrantrum's defensive typing is kind of lackluster, at least imo. That Rock subtyping leaves Tyrantrum with quite a few weaknesses to at least somewhat common/potent attacking types such as Fighting, Ground, Dragon, and Ice, which hampers its potential defensive capabilities a lot imo. Given that, i'd much rather use Tyrantrum in an offensive role than a defensive one, instead using that physical bulk to set up Dragon Dances and such, and if/when Rock Head gets released, a recoilless 150 BP STAB move that can be freely spammed would simply be too good to pass up.

Has anybody tried using this guy with scoliopede? After two speed boosts or so, this guy could be a real wrecking ball.
I`ve tried it with Scolipede as my lead. Do 2 swords dance alongside the speed boost and when tyrantrum comes with those boosts there`s little that can stop him.

Tyrantrum has been doing some work for me in pokebank on a sticky web team. Basicly the set is just EdgeQuake Dragon Claw and Fire fang, but he really makes use of that sticky web support.

I've been trying out Tyrantrum on pokebank and dd eq dc and hs is amazing. I can't believe how good it is. I have a free switch into any talonflame set and proceed to sweep.

I've been trying out Tyrantrum on pokebank and dd eq dc and hs is amazing. I can't believe how good it is. I have a free switch into any talonflame set and proceed to sweep.
I wouldn't try that, given that most Talonflame are beginning to run Will O' Wisp just to cripple the rock pokemon that get a free switch in against them.

I think Choice Band MaxHpAtk is the way to go, and just to have fun with this mon becouse its like a joke for the OU meta this gen. Anyways... Im thinking in:

Adamant /176Hp-252Atk-80Speed / ChoiceBand
StoneEdge/Earthquake
FireFang/ThunderFang
IceFang
Crunch/Earthquake

It have great movepool, great attack and solid defense, but Dragon and Rock are bad together, add low bases at SpDef and Speed and we just get another cool looking Fossil which is bad for battles.

Last edited:
I wouldn't try that, given that most Talonflame are beginning to run Will O' Wisp just to cripple the rock pokemon that get a free switch in against them.
This Guy IS a good check to Talonflame, most people hate to lose their Talonflame so they run away as soon they See Tyrantrum.

Also most Talonflames I've seen go with

- Flare Blitz
- Acrobatics/Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- U-Turn.

Tyrantrum can easily get in on any Talonflame STAB and set up DD or just plain kill it.

The Set I've run:

Tyrantrum / Life Orb / 252atk/252Spe/4hp
Adamant
Ability: Strong Jaw
- Ice Fang/Earthquake (For T-Tar)
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide (Power or accuracy)

Most Talonflames HATE this guy and after a DD he is a good late sweeper, he also can 2HKO Azumarril with Stone Edge and he doesn't fear Aqua Jet.

Some Calcs

252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Azumarill: 243-289 (60.1 - 71.5%) Guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 164-195 (49.1 - 58.3%) Guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 343-406 (97.4 - 115.3%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 403-476 (56.4 - 66.6%)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Dragonite: 247-292 (63.9 - 75.6%)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Dragonite: 322-380 (83.4 - 98.4%)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-D: 172-203 (56.5 - 66.7%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 203-239 (50.2 - 59.1%)

Yeah, this guy has the power.

I've been running the DD/Headsmash/Firefang/Icefang set on Pokebank Showdown, and he hasn't been pulling his weight so well, I really gotta say. Pretty much the only time I've found him to be particularly useful has been against Talonflame (which is getting increasingly less common, it seems), and even against Talonflame it has trouble switching in and THEN setting up.

It's certainly possible that I'm using him wrong, but he just hasn't been doing it for me.
I think instead I'm going to now try him as a Scarfer with EQ over DD, and see how that does.

After some testing it seems (for me) that Tyrantrum just do it well while its Scarfed, his SpDef and Speed are very low, so even with a "good" defense its very fragile, not worth running with DD.

Until Rock Head gets legal this is the best way to use it, (at least i think so) :

Tyrantrum /ChoiceScarf / 252atk/252Spe/4hp
Jolly
Ability: Strong Jaw
- StoneEdge / Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- FireFang / IceFang / ThunderFang

And I have in mind some type of Mixed Tyrantrum...

Tyrantrum Nature:Rash Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs:176Atk-252SpAtk-80Speed
Item:WeaknessPolicy
Moves:
-RockSlide
-DracoMeteor
-DragonClaw
-RockPolish

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Tyrantrum has some of the worst 4MSS I've ever seen. Anyways, I've put together two semi-unusual sets together; do you guys think it will work?

Gleaming Dinosaur@Leftovers/Weakness Policy
Strong Jaw
Impish
212 Atk / 252+ Def / 44 Spe
Rock Polish/Dragon Dance
Stealth Rock/Ice Fang/Crunch
Stone Edge/Dragon Claw
Earthquake/Fire Fang

Forget about special defense; don't even try to pretend that you can take a special hit. The idea behind this set is to set up SR in the beginning, switch out, do stuff, switch in when there's a physical attacker who doesn't have STAB super effective moves, then make yourself gleam or do a jig. Making yourself gleam makes you outspeed positive nature base 122 (Greninja). Doing a jig allows you to outspeed positive nature base 100.
I've been running this set, and I made an account just to post how damn amazing it is!
I'm using Weakness Policy and DD/Ice Fang/Stone Miss/EQ with Sticky Web support.
Running calcs, neither Garchomp or Dragonite can OHKO this set unless they're running Outrage.
Meanwhile, a Max HP/0 Def Dragonite at 100% gets OHKO'd by a +2 Ice Fang.

So yeah, really nice! Though if you tank those strong hits, you are priority bait.

Man, I'm given up on trying to make this guy work. Just too slow to outrun his bad typing I feel, which makes me really uneasy about using him. If I'm treating him as a liability, I probably shouldn't be using him in the first place.

Best luck I've had with him is switching in on Stealth Rock setup and catching ferrothorns by surprise with a Jolly Life Orb'd Fire Fang. He also discourages Gale Wing from entering 3v3 single rotations, too.
Until we get Rock Head, Head Smash, Choice Scarf as a legitimate option, I don't think Tyrantrum is going to work. Certainly not as a reliable Stealth Rock supporter.

what do you guys think about an all fangs set with a flinch ratio boosting item in a trick room team? Perhaps plus sandstorm to deal even more damage in between flinches and status?
I mean something like :

Tyrantrum
Adamant/Brave
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Def/ 4 HP
Thunder Fang(flinch or paralysis)--->covers water types
Fire Fang(flinch or burn)---> covers grass/steel types
Poison Fang(poison)---> covers fairy types
Ice Fang(flinch or freeze) ---> covers dragon types

Do you think it could be any good?

Last edited:
what do you guys think about an all fangs set with a flinch ratio boosting item in a trick room team? Perhaps plus sandstorm to deal even more damage in between flinches and status?
I mean something like :

Tyrantrum
Adamant/Brave
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Def/ 4 HP
Thunder Fang(flinch or paralysis)--->covers water types
Fire Fang(flinch or burn)---> covers grass/steel types
Poison Fang(poison)---> covers fairy types
Ice Fang(flinch or freeze) ---> covers dragon types

Do you think it could be any good?
No, all fangs are bad, and king's rock does not on moves that can already flinch. And never invest in a defense over Hp unless you are like snorlax blissey etc.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To be fair, the fangs aren't terrible on Strong Jaw Tyrantrum. With Strong Jaw's boost taken into consideration, you've got 97.5 Base Power Fire, Ice, and Electric moves at your disposal, so they can actually be legitimate coverage options on him. That being said, a set with all three of the elemental fangs as well as Poison Fang would be bad because they aren't very strong as main attacking options, and Tyrantrum doesn't get STAB on any of them. More or less 100 Base Power attacks are great, but when you've got Stone Edge, which has 150 Base Power after STAB, Dragon Claw, which has 120 Base Power after STAB, and Head Smash, which has a whopping 225 Base Power after STAB, eschewing some of them in favor of STAB options is always going to be your best bet.

It's also important to note Poison Fang is only a 75 Base Power attack that does little more than hit Fairy-types. Even on a super effective hit, it will still only have effective 150 Base Power as opposed to a STAB Head Smash, which has more Base Power, or a STAB Stone Edge, which has the same Base Power. Instead of using it, you're usually better off with Thunder Fang anyways, as it hits two of the more prominent Fairy-types, Togekiss and Azumarill, for super effective damage. Plus, most other Fairy-types aren't very physically bulky, which means that they probably won't want to tank a Head Smash or a Stone Edge anyways.

I could maybe see a weird set such as sleep talk, rest, dragon tail and poison fang (+leftovers) being a decent set due to its ability to shuffle and spread status while dealing damage. He has the physical bulk to survive 2 hits vs a few physical attacks although his special defense isnt exactly ideal.. however for a wall he would have actually decent-ish speed at 71, and a strong attack even when not heavily invested. Strong jaw helps boost the damage of poison fang. This set struggles badly against steel types but it has the advantages of already scaring steels who may expect a super effective EQ, as well as having a chance to outspeed generally slow steel pokemon and pick dragon tail to switch them out when sleep talking.
Sorry if this already got posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)