Ubers is now a tier; a new Metagame called Anything Goes is added; M-Ray is banned from Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-187758544
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-187761736
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-187762285

So I'm just messing around with 6 Scarf Ogres with Sheer Cold / Scald / Sleep Talk and it's been pretty fun.

I am opposed to adding species clause or any other clause apart from endless battle. It's pretty obvious this is meant to be a joke 'metagame' with a bunch of stupid, broken, ridiculous shit so adding any more rules would be pointless.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-187758544
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-187761736
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-187762285

So I'm just messing around with 6 Scarf Ogres with Sheer Cold / Scald / Sleep Talk and it's been pretty fun.

I am opposed to adding species clause or any other clause apart from endless battle. It's pretty obvious this is meant to be a joke 'metagame' with a bunch of stupid, broken, ridiculous shit so adding any more rules would be pointless.
If it's a joke meta, why even have endless battle clause?

If it's a joke meta, why even have endless battle clause?
Well endless battle is basically the same thing as timer stalling which, I assume, is against PS rules. Also, dumb things like swagger and OHKO moves can be played around, unlike endless battle strategies.

I'm sure this needs at least some clauses. Yeah, I understand it's... completely against the "tier"'s name (Anything goes lol) but... seriously, this is a mess, I know some fun stuff can happen but really, it's very messy and I'm sure most of the time I won't be playing it.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/anythinggoes-187777248

When I read AG I thought of the "rules" they give you in-game, not... just using whatever is possible in game, I think species and sleep clauses would be okay. I also know this is kind of a joke metagame but really, there are sometimes ridiculous situations in which you just can't simply enjoy the game without either be on the losing side with an average team or on the other side humillating someone with a cheap strategy, I think for that we could leave this thing or battle with friends without rules.

I'm sure this has been asked many times elsewhere but would Mega Rayquaza be manageable in Ubers if it couldn't hold an item? I didn't play much Ubers so I actually don't have a strong idea how broken it really is other than the idea of 780 base stat monster with great ability and can even hold an item. It seems it's the last bit that really pushes it over. Not trying to argue for a complex ban or whatever, just genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Another long-time lurker here chipping in. Very surprised (and pleased) that Smogon had the balls to do this. Since I discovered Smogon in Gen IV, people have been discussing Ubers as something closer and closer to a tier, and the fact that now it's officially defined as one may give me the confidence to finally try it out, which I've been hesitant to do so before.

I have complete confidence that Chaos and the rest of the Ubers leaders will guide the tier to a better place.

I'm shocked that things turned out this way, but I'm not against it at all. This is pure speculation, but I think (and hope) Game Freak will nerf Mega Rayquaza, resulting its return to Ubers in the next gen either by nerfing its ability, method of mega evolving (most likely this)... something. I don't even want to know what madness will come in the AG battles, but hopefully the players enjoy it. Anyways, this is just me. (If something like this has already been said, I apologize for the redundancy.)

For those who are saying a species clause would make AG more like the actual pokemon games, I'd like to point out that Free Battles on cart play don't have a species clause. So having no species clause in AG would actually be more accurate to cart if you wanted to go that way. And I think having no species clause would appeal to a lot of the casual players that AG will most likely attract. This isn't exactly a metagame that really needs balancing as it should just be for fun and not taken seriously. Even if you add sleep clause or species clause it will still be an awful broken mess.

tldr Don't add any more clauses.

I'm shocked that things turned out this way, but I'm not against it at all. This is pure speculation, but I think (and hope) Game Freak will nerf Mega Rayquaza, resulting its return to Ubers in the next gen either by nerfing its ability, method of mega evolving (most likely this)... something. I don't even want to know what madness will come in the AG battles, but hopefully the players enjoy it. Anyways, this is just me. (If something like this has already been said, I apologize for the redundancy.)
Game Freak doesn't care about the Ubers metagame at all since official tournaments don't allow these Pokemon. They also really hyped up Rayquaza's unique method of mega evolving prior to release, so I doubt they would adjust such a core mechanic and especially not because it was banned on Smogon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we see equally overpowered stuff next gen (Mega Arceus/Dialga/Palkia).

Game Freak doesn't care about the Ubers metagame at all since official tournaments don't allow these Pokemon. They also really hyped up Rayquaza's unique method of mega evolving prior to release, so I doubt they would adjust such a core mechanic and especially not because it was banned on Smogon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we see equally overpowered stuff next gen (Mega Arceus/Dialga/Palkia).
No, I get that. That's why I worded it "resulting in" rather than "to," but I guess that didn't work. I don't even know if Game Freak knows Smogon exists. But they might because it may be allowed in Nintendo tournaments like VGC 2010, where you could use 2 normally unallowed pokemon (e.g. Kyogre and Giratina), and I know there are a few tournaments coming up that will do the same. Also, they did change the HA of Chandelure from Shadow Tag to Infiltrator (even though Shadow Tag was never released).
And Mega Arceus? No. Mega Dialga/Palkia? I don't know. Just saying. Game Freak does change stuff between generations, some which are major.

Between 6 Klefki spam, 3 Smeargle spam, Assist Liepard, and the legalization of marijuana Double team, Anything Goes is hands down the most entertaining tier ever

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I'm sure this has been asked many times elsewhere but would Mega Rayquaza be manageable in Ubers if it couldn't hold an item? I didn't play much Ubers so I actually don't have a strong idea how broken it really is other than the idea of 780 base stat monster with great ability and can even hold an item. It seems it's the last bit that really pushes it over. Not trying to argue for a complex ban or whatever, just genuinely curious.
Yes and no. It DOES become more manageable, but the problem is that it can still rip teams apart after an SD. I posted two calcs on an earlier page, but you can run the calcs Chaos posted & just adjust them to not include Life Orb.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think this is a fair compromise, but I think it should be emphasized that Smogon doesn't make official Nintendo tiers from now on. I still see a lot of people following Smogon OU rules on Wi-Fi and just randomly disconnecting when they see a proper team of built ubers.
I don't understand this post. Smogon has never had an effect on the official Nintendo tiers and has never pretended to be. People confuse the two often as Smogon is the center of the Western competitive Pokemon scene and the actual official metagames are less popular. It is important to distinguish official actions by Smogon staff and "fans" of the tiering system. Also, most ubers are banned on the regular rated ladder on Battle Spot, including Mega Ray.

Mega Mence on the other hand.....speaking as a representative of the Battle Spot community, I wish I could give GF an earful about that one.

This was quite a surprise, but I really like the decision made
AG will be filled up with moody baton pass smeargles and Mega rayquazas

I am really happy with the creation of AG. I never wanted M Ray to be banned from everything except hackmons, so its a relief. I can finally use other not-so-broken Megas in Ubers now. :-)

I am really going to enjoy AG as a tier. There is something very fun about doing anything you want and not have your opponent shout abuse at you. Interestingly Articuno might be good in AG due to it KOing everything in 2 moves (mind reader + OHKO move). Its a big lol that a PU mon could be viable in AG.
Why? Shedinja has always had niche viability in Ubers to abuse Ubers movesets being tailored to combat specific types Ubers tend to share. [The most infamous being Shedinja walling Kyogre]. Shedinja is probobly below even PU.

Also I legitimately thought this day would never come. But I can see why it happened too. Enough people play Ubers that the teir needs to be more than 'Who's Mega Rayquaza wins the speed tie?'

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, to be fair, as one of Smogon's biggest critics, I'm not happy with the fact that everyone seems to adhere to Smogon's word like God and just disconnects when they don't like something (especially with a properly built team of ubers like mine, I'm not a kid), it's really wrong and disrespectful in my opinion. That's not to say I think GameFreak should have official VGC ladders and ubers rated ladders online, but that's a small gripe.

And also, I haven't got around to building a competitive team on Wi-Fi yet. The Legendary shakedown has been quite frankly, a lot (I'm trying to catch passable things as quickly), and I'm going back to work soon, so my time has been cut by 3/4 about (I'm desperately trying to finish while I can). I haven't even tried things like Mega Mence or Mega Quaza due to just sheer time and I'm hearing about bans and it feels wrong.

Maybe a bit more accentuation that you don't create official tiers and even Nintendo tier ladders outside of Battle Spot would be nice, even if they're hardly played. If I'm going to try something out I'd like it to be accurate to the cartridge and not relegated to some of the clauses.

-James
Nobody gives two shits about how well built your Ubers team is, especially since even casuals can identify that they are broken and don't want to get crubstomped. People on random WiFi expect some common decency and I support their decision to immediately DC on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)