Metagame Ubers Metagame and Set Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Zacian good
Which Zacian form are you referring to? I will try to answer your question on both formes.
Zacian-C: Is definitely "good", if not top tier. Along with Shadow Tag Gothitelle, it warps the entire metagame around itself, into defensively/offensively checking it as much as possible. We are temporarily stuck with using OU mons with 5 Uber worthy mons (Zacian-C, Zacian, Eternatus, Zamazenta, Shadow Tag). Want to know why there is an extreme usage of Ditto, 252 HP /+252 Def Heavy Duty Boots Arcanine, Sand Rush teams, and Quagsire? It's because Zacian-C exists (and most are taken care by Shadow Tag Gothitelle) and this is what we get until Pokemon Storage Hostage comes out. No, seriously check the usage stats under Gen8ubers ( https://www.smogon.com/stats/2019-11/), and while this does not correlate to viability (see the Landorous-T (not banned) and Zygarde-50 (banned) debate in Gen7 OU) l, you can conclude who is centralizing. Later, we will get better checks with Reshiram and Necrozma-DM.
Zacian-Hero: Is noteworthy for being able to 2HKO Unaware Quagsire with a Choice Band, which Zacian-C cannot. It also avoids the OHKO from a STAB Earthquake from Excadrill, which makes it fare better under the sand. However, given the stat boosts and better STAB, you should primarily use Zacian-C. Like always, you must consider opportunity costs for team building.

Last edited:
Is Zacian good
There is another niche for Zacian Hero Form. On ladder, I've seen the following Scarf variant being used:

Zacian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intrepid Sword
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Wild Charge

The niche of this set is it can outspeed everything upto +2 Jolly Gyarados meaning that you have a great form of speed control and can revenge kill many things. This set is usually used on Balance teams as a way of beating Galarian-Darmanitan which can be otherwise annoying to deal with.

Which Zacian form are you referring to? I will try to answer your question on both formes.
Zacian-C: Is definitely "good", if not top tier. Along with Shadow Tag Gothitelle, it warps the entire metagame around itself, into defensively/offensively checking it as much as possible. We are temporarily stuck with using OU mons with 5 Uber worthy mons (Zacian-C, Zacian, Eternatus, Zamazenta, Shadow Tag). Want to know why there is an extreme usage of Ditto, 252 HP /+252 Def Heavy Duty Boots Arcanine, Sand Rush teams, and Quagsire? It's because Zacian-C exists (and most are taken care by Shadow Tag Gothitelle) and this is what we get until Pokemon Storage Hostage comes out. No, seriously check the usage stats under Gen8ubers ( https://www.smogon.com/stats/2019-11/), and while this does not correlate to viability (see the Landorous-T (not banned) and Zygarde-50 (banned) debate in Gen7 OU) l, you can conclude who is centralizing. Later, we will get better checks with Reshiram and Necrozma-DM.
Zacian-Hero: Is noteworthy for being able to 2HKO Unaware Quagsire with a Choice Band, which Zacian-C cannot. It also avoids the OHKO from a STAB Earthquake from Excadrill, which makes it fare better under the sand. However, given the stat boosts and better STAB, you should primarily use Zacian-C. Like always, you must consider opportunity costs for team building.
Interesting that Zamazenta-Crowned is in Top 5. I assumed people would use the Hero form more LOL

Interesting that Zamazenta-Crowned is in Top 5. I assumed people would use the Hero form more LOL
Maybe people are still experimenting with it with Metal Burst sets, or they are hoping that it will work better one day (it can, but the metagame needs to change and it needs buffs, NOW)
They should run Solar Blade to beat Quagsire
Solar blade isn't viable on Zacian-C, as it is gimmicky. It takes two turns to charge, forgoes important coverage like Wild Charge, Close Combat/Sacred Sword, and Substitute, and Zacian-C can't hold any other item other than Rusted Sword (so no Power Herb to lure it). However, if you have fun using solar blade zacian-c under a sun team, have at it!

There is another niche for Zacian Hero Form. On ladder, I've seen the following Scarf variant being used:

Zacian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Wild Charge

The niche of this set is it can outspeed everything upto +2 Jolly Gyarados meaning that you have a great form of speed control and can revenge kill many things. This set is usually used on Balance teams as a way of beating Galarian-Darmanitan which can be otherwise annoying to deal with.
Adding that it's faster than Excadrill in sand and cancels out the webs too!

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Maybe people are still experimenting with it with Metal Burst sets, or they are hoping that it will work better one day (it can, but the metagame needs to change and it needs buffs, NOW)

Solar blade isn't viable on Zacian-C, as it is gimmicky. It takes two turns to charge, forgoes important coverage like Wild Charge, Close Combat/Sacred Sword, and Substitute, and Zacian-C can't hold any other item other than Rusted Sword (so no Power Herb to lure it). However, if you have fun using solar blade zacian-c under a sun team, have at it!
You can run Torkoal + Zacian-C, it's a bit tricky to build but it can work, as Torkoal is pretty good at checking Zacian, and not only does Sun help Zacian kill Quagsire and 2HKO Corviknight, but it also helps Eternatus OHKOing Zacian with Flamethrower. I've tested Ninetales webs but it wasn't good so Torkoal is probably the better choice. On top of that, Tyranitar struggles to come into Torkoal as it destroys it with Body Press : 252+ Def Torkoal Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 376-444 (93 - 109.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Hippo is a problem but it usually isn't paired with Quagsire, so SD Zacian should do the job against these teams (but makes you weak to Ditto).

Last edited:
To add on to the Solar Blade Zacian-C discussion, I've been using it on a 4-Attacks set on my own Sun team w/ Play Rough/Fire Fang/Psychic Fangs/Solar Blade and it's been putting work. Play Rough in to Solar Blade in Sun kills Pyukumuku as it comes in on Play Rough, while destroying Quagsire and physdef Rotom-W in one shot. Granted, I have to agree that it's niche because it can be played around by opposing weather or proper prediction, but it's still a fun option on Sun teams and I recommend giving it a shot!

My thoughts on the meta + some sets [WILL COMPLETE LATER; ITS ALMOST 1AM AND IM TIRED]

On Stealth Rock not being mandatory

Dynamax sweepers (
/
/
)
Spikes (
/
/
)
when are you finishing this it has been a year

In order to make this not a one-liner, I'm going to post my first team for this meta.

The Xatu Squad

Zacian-Crowned @ Rusted Sword
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Behemoth Blade
- Play Rough
- Psychic Fangs

Eternatus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dynamax Cannon
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Toxic Spikes

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Transform

there is no peak i haven't even played with this team that much

The Xatu Squad formed when I decided to build my first Ubers team. Naturally, I added Zacian-C, because it's broken. I then added Scarf Eternatus in order to revenge kill fast mons and set TSpikes. I then wanted a Screens setter to support Scarf Eternatus, because I wanted defensive prowess to make up for the loss of power with Life Orb. I chose Xatu, as it allows Eternatus to come in safely, as well as packing a Ground immunity which prevents the opponent from using a ground move on the switch. Thunder Wave is also useful, due to the free turns. Paralyzing Ditto is especially important.

Now I needed a way to beat Zacian-C in case I couldn't get screens up. Flamethrower wasn't going to cut it. Therefore, I added Sand Rush Excadrill, who also provided me hazard control to aid Xatu. This naturally meant I could put a rocks setter in the team too. I went with Hippowdon, because it beat Zacian-C, which gave it the edge over Tyranitar. Although using Tyranitar meant that I obtained a better matchup vs Gothitelle, the standard Scarf Trick set lost against the entirety of my team. Finally, the team I was using didn't necessarily have any huge holes remaining, so I added Ditto in the last slot, because Ditto is always useful against miscellaneous threats.

Then, I came up with the Xatu Squad. It sits proudly in my teambuilder as the first Gen 8 Ubers team I have ever built.

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The people seem to like my previous posts in these threads quite a bit, so I'm going to dump some random mons that have been on my mind recently..

Whatever Nature
- Play Rough
- Behemoth Blade
- Protect
- Wild Charge

This is a cool set. You basically hit everything you want to hit for the most part with 3 moves with Zacian, so your remaining moveslot is pretty flexible. Protect is neat mainly because you can scout Ditto (and Darm!). In particular, it's a cool set when you pair it with Corviknight and a Ground type. Ditto comes in, you scout the moves it's gonna use, and then you can react easily. If he uses a STAB move, just go into Corviknight and he'll get Rocky Helmet damage. If he Wild Charges, you can switch to any Ground type (especially Dugtrio for the free trap!). Protect is also useful for the off-chance you gotta stall for some turns. Ferrothorn walls this but just play it off like you can kill him and most players won't know better tbh

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: Figure it out!
Nature.... cmon now
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

This thing can destroy Balance/Stall teams single-handed. Absolutely broken dumb mon. You think Corv is safe with U-Turn? Hell no. This Goth doesn't fuck around trying to set-up like a pansy, it goes right for the kill.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt / Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

Almost all stall and some balance teams need a Dark type just to deal with the threat of a Cosmic Power Goth sweep, and sometimes you just don't want to run Tyranitar for the thousandth time. Enter Umbreon. It's basically inferior to Clefable since Clefable gets Rocks and Aromatherapy as well as Wish, buuuuut Clefable isn't Dark type. It's also not particularly Dugtrio weak which is major for those Dual Trapper teams. The difference between this and the one other users have talked about is that this one has Taunt. Taunt is pretty key because some pretentious Gothitelle will think they're smart and try to PP stall your ass, so Taunt deals with that issue. Besides that, there is some general nice utility, you can, for example, stop Eternatus' Substitute and Corviknight's Defog with Taunt. Baton Pass is indeed a viable option because slow Wishpassing is super good but Taunt gives you some unique utility. also watch out for toxic.

Clefable @ Shed Shell
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock / Moonblast / Baton Pass
- Aromatherapy / Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect

This set is good. It's pretty underrated. You just eat anything Eternatus can throw at you and set up rocks, heal status, and Wishpass to whatever you want. The role compression here is seriously crazy, not to mention it's pretty much the only viable Cleric in the entire tier. The no attacks set works pretty well on stall and frees up your teambuilding quite a bit, meanwhile you can run a version consisting only of Rocks or Aroma with Moonblast to make for a pretty solid Etern check on balance teams. Slow wishpassing is possible too; actually, Baton Pass is neat since it also allows you to run Leftovers, as you can BP out of Goth.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast

This set looks exactly like the one I posted before. What's different? With these specific EVs, you can always tank a +1 Behemoth Blade from Zacian-C:
252 Atk Intrepid Sword Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade (100 BP) vs. 172 HP / 84 Def Reuniclus: 342-403 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(yes the calc automatically includes the +1 from Intrepid Sword now)
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zacian-Crowned: 161-191 (49.5 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
(yes Focus Blast sucks but you can dynamax to help with the luck factor, or just use Shadow Ball if he's weakened enough)
This gives this set some appeal over Hatterene, you become a kinda bulkier version of Hatt without recoil/random hazard damage and ability to deal with Zacian-C better in exchange for not sweeping as well and not having Magic Bounce an Fairy-type utility.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

This is the standard Ferrothorn set, except it has the ability to deal with Cosmic Power Goth. Just Leech Seed it if it comes in and Curse up; then you can spam Knock Off and Max Darkness to kill Goth eventually. Leftovers are worth the moveslot loss for Curse, IMO. The main reason to use Ferrothorn is for spikes and being generally bulky, he's also not a guarenteed switch-in to Dracovish but a pretty good one considering how strong that thing is. Knock Off is also pretty solid utility for stall teams, and can catch a Choice Goth on the switch if you predict right. Make sure you have a method to eventually beat down Corv.

uncertain:

Tyranitar @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: Do it yourself
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Sleep Talk ???
- Stealth Rock / Sleep Talk ???
- Rest

A set I just theorymonned and haven't tested out, but the basic idea is that you become untrappable to Dugtrio now. Since you don't have lefties, you definitely are gonna need Rest so that Eternatus can't wear you down.

meme set:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

This set is a meme but also kinda not bad? It's basically the Mold Breaker Suicide Lead set from past gens, but instead of Mold Breaker you run Sand Rush like a man. You can actually get some random kills by popping a Max Rockfall out of nowhere. The main thing about this set is that Corviknight just sits on it, due to Pressure you can't just spam rocks against it since he'll have more Defog PP than you (althought most ladder trash will just kill you), so you have to use it with something that can deal with Corv easily. Watch out for Hatterene too.

also PSA: Arcanine is bad don't use it

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think the meta is really starting to show it's true colors with the new team tour going on atm. trappers have really shown their worth with gothitelle being used on 50% of the teams and dugtrio being very common as well, shed shell items are being thrown around everywhere (my shed shell ttar prediction came true), and a ton of mons run baton pass and u-turn to compensate. as you guys know I like to post on the forums since no one else posts on here so I'd like to think this is my way of helping the community grow a bit through this way
anyway here are some cool sets:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

If you aren't in the loop, there's a big speed creep war going on between Specs Gothitelle and Corviknight. Specs Goth typically wants to run some bulk so it can deal with Eternatus better, so they try to speed creep Corviknight just enough, with Corviknight in turn speed creeping the speed creep to outspeed and U-Turn out, and so on and so forth. The main thing is that Gothitelle can afford to run way more speed than Corviknight ever could, as the bulk EVs for Gothitelle are way less important. In my opinion, dumping the speed creep EVs into Corviknight is a waste, since thats a war you're always going to lose, so this set is a way to try and minimize the damage from Gothitelle. You could just run Shed Shell, but you are making yourself less bulky and you're vulnerable to Knock Off pokemon as well (plus U-Turning out of a Gothitelle when you have Shed Shell makes you feel really dumb). With this set, you have a good amount of Special Defensive investment, so that Gothitelle cannot OHKO you (does like 60-70 iirc with Tbolt), and the recovery from Leftovers helps to compensate for the loss of physical bulk. The recovery from leftovers also lets you be more loose with Corviknight, as chip damage won't add up nearly as much, you'll be able to U-Turn out more and keep momentum. The main thing about this set is that, since you lose Rocky Helmet, you aren't a very good Zacian-C check, so you have to run this spread with a super solid Zacian-C check like Quagsire. The IVs are to get a slower U-turn vs. opposing Corviknights which is major.

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Wild Charge
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

This is the best Zacian-C set right now atm. Why? There are actually so many teams that get absolutely swept by this mon and many players aren't even aware of it. Many teams run a combination of Corviknight + Dugtrio and think Zacian is dealt with, and this thing is designed to take advantage of that. At +3, Wild Charge OHKO's Corviknight, and Quick Attack also always OHKO's Dugtrio. Fairy + Electric is resisted by pretty much nothing in the tier besides Ferrothorn. You have to watch out for DItto with this set, of course, but the moves are perfect for that as well, since Zacian will often be at too high HP for Ditto to OHKO with a resisted Play Rough, and if they go for a Wild Charge, you can give your own Dugtrio or Excadrill or whatever a free turn to do whatever they want. Thinking about it now, Ferrothorn is actually a great partner, you can get Spikes up so next time you come in you can 2HKO Quagsire, and it provides you with a great switch-in for Quagsire and Ditto who transformed into this set, you can even Knock Off Corviknight or Quagsire or something like that to get it vulnerable for Specs Goth and then sweep.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Counter
- Baton Pass
- Recover

A bit memey but this Pokemon is actually legit, hack even won with it in his tour game. In general, it's not as good as Quagsire but this mon has it's uses. It's biggest advantage is for momentum, you can come into Zacian and baton pass out of whatever they're switching in. With Quagsire, you'd have to sit there and recover and lose a ton of momentum. It sounds weird, but your goal with this mon is to basically not have it on the field for as long as possible. It can only do things with Toxic and Counter, and its dynamax also sucks ass, meaning that while it can check a lot of things in the meta a lot of things can set up on it for free. The pure water typing in comparison to Quagsire is great specifically for Darmanitan, among other things. Give it a shot by replacing Quag with this thing sometime.

Eternatus @ Haban Berry
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Agility
- Sludge Wave / Recover

Tell Ditto to go fuck himself. A great lure for Ditto, and you can also set-up on opposing Eternatus which is always fun. You might want to run more speed than this, enough to outrun Choice Band Darminitan in case your team is weak to that.

Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
Guys, not every team has to run Corviknight and Tyranitar! This is a good alternative mon since you can now check off ground immunity and dark type for goth on your teambuilding checklist, not to mention a defogger. This mon is also great for momentum, Knock Off and U-Turn are some of the best moves in the game, and I think Knock Off tech is going to be something teams will have to consider more and more as this meta keeps going on. There's a lot of defensive mons who would hate having their Shed Shell taken off for them to be eaten easily by Gothitelle or Dugtrio.

there's other sets I wanna post on here eventually but I'm tired and have to wake up early for 2 interviews tomorrow so I'll post sometime in the future

First Look at Uber's for the generation here, but I have found some success with this team:
https://pokepast.es/92997fea8c9a7ee4

I personally enjoy the more offensive side of the meta game, and have found some success, and heres a bit of an explanation

248.png+530.png

First off is the standard Sand Rush pairing that is always pretty good. Ttar is mainly a stealth rocker and sand setter, with flamethrower to threaten Ferrothorn if its low. Excadrill is a full attacking set, with EQ for the number of ground weak uber pokemon right now. Iron Head for fairies, and then Rock Slide for flying types.

890.png

Eternatus is the main special attacker, and with sub seems to be quite annoying for several walls to deal with. Simple standard set that wrecks quite a few things.

888-c.png+555-g.png

Zacian-Crowed and Darma combined are a good clean up pairing, few things ive found have been a pair for neither of them to deal with.

823.png

And finally Corvinight was added after realizing after a few battles that I also need a good ground type attacking check, and giving it my hazard remover role lets my excadrill run more attacks for wider coverage

Overall Ive had success with it I think, but I am open to suggestions. Along with if i should add either of these to my team and who to drop for them

450.png Hippodown instead of Ttar for my Sand/Rocks setter. Hippo seems about as good as Ttar, but both have strengths and weaknesses
576.png I did run a trick Shadow Tag set in the original version of this team, but I found it hard to find an opportunity to send it in and clean up.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
why do some people say zacian is better than crowned zacian?
Normal Zacian can hold items, such as Choice Band, that allow it to perform some things Zacian-C can't.

For example, Band Zacian's Play Rough achieves a 2HKO on Quagsire, something which Zacian-C only dreams of doing.

+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Zacian Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO (so basically, have SR and it's guaranteed)
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

there's also the more uncommon Scarf variant which I have faced, which reaches 618 Speed, allowing it to outspeed even Jolly Excadrill under sand, which reaches 604 Speed only, and (potentially) OHKO it with Fire Fang

+1 252+ Atk Zacian Fire Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 352-416 (97.2 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Zacian Fire Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 322-380 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

There might other reasons people consider base Zacian better, but these are the ones I have experienced myself.

e: forgot to specify, you outspeed Jolly Exca with a Jolly nature yourself; Adamant only outspeeds Adamant nature. I've included other calcs to showcase this.

Has there been any kind of speculative meta that we can get ideas of what's good from, now that Home is out?

I'd imagine Necrozma-DM will be as massive a threat as ever, and Dynamaxing legendaries are now very much a thing, but beyond that I have no idea what the major players in this meta are likely to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)