Project Ubers Player of the Week #2: Skysolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Nayrz with idea from Arii Stella
Banner by my good friend Six

Welcome to Ubers Player of the Week! I'll be interviewing top Ubers players that have had success and are respected in the community. You will be able to ask questions to the player I interview by commenting on this post. Everyone cannot be interviewed but you can VM me or DM on Discord suggestions, hope you enjoy!

:eternatus: Skysolo :zacian-crowned:

Favorite Pokemon?
:infernape:

Most known for

Playing and managing a number of Ubers Tournaments such as UPL, Most Wanted, Exhibition, CPL, etc. Won UPL 6 with the Defiant Durians and on the Ubers council.

Any backstory on your name?

The Reasoning behind my name is factored within three reasons (:clown:) . Sky means the first Pokemon game i played was Pokemon Dungeons of Sky (lit fucking game btw), Solo is the first 4 letters of my irl name, and 14 was the age i made my account on Showdown. I used to go by Skysolo14 but i ditched the numbers to get a clout boost with just Skysolo.

How did you get into competitive Pokemon?

Despite joining this site in 2014, I only hung out in rooms and chatted but never really entered into any rooms until late 2017. (Cringe alert ahead) I was apart of a Monotype server at the Wisp Server (known as Azure rn) and I was a RU Frontier in Leagues, which were very popular back in the day. From there, I met some friends that I still keep this day such as Alpha Rabbit, Bitana, Bluxio, Wincon, and you yourself HG :). From there, me and my best buddy Rabbit decided to venture to compete in new tiers and we came across Ubers at the time Ubers Premier League was starting and we both tried out to multiple teams.... and luckily we both got drafted onto the same team and had a great time.

Favorite and least favorite Ubers generation?

My Favorite Ubers Gen is USM, its the gen I first started playing ubers in and I've grown a massive liking into the tier through playing and building throughout the majority of the generation. My least favorite ubers generation would have to be ORAS because of my lack of experience in the tier and the massive usage in Hyper Offense.

Thoughts on the current state of SS? Excited for the next DLC?

I had a blast playing and building in SS. There was so much room for innovation due to all the new mons and certain mons being left out. Im really excited to see what the next DLC has to offer as we're expecting to receive a bunch of new mons.

What do you think about the current Dynamax restrictions? Do you think it should be altered ?

In my own personal opinion, I believe dynamax should be banned as a whole because of the massive number of users being able to dynamax and punch through holes such as Excadrill, Volcarona, Dragapult, Kyurem-Black and etc or even use it as a defensive mechanic such as Corviknight, Tyranitar, Quagsire, and etc. I understand that there is a list of mons that can't be able to dynamax but how long is that list gonna be expanding? Especially with the Ctown Tundra DLC coming up as there will be a bunch of old mons coming in.

Since you really made your breakout in USM, what are your thoughts on the tier?

USM is in my opinion, the most complete tier. It has a plethora of choices in terms of play style ranging from Hyper Offense to Stall, The metagame itself is super balance and playable for any new player who wants to play it. However, Creating new innovations can often be a pain in the ass as there is so much threats and utility to cover.

Do you think SS will grow to be as a complete tier like how you think USM is?

I believe with the upcoming dlc coming soon, the tier will start to look a lot like USM with mons like Xerneas, Yveltal, and regular Kyogre coming back. However, the metagame will most likely become overly offensive due to the missing mons such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus that had massive roles in the metagame which allowed the tier to stay as balanced as it was the previous gen. For now, we can wait and see.

Do you have a favorite playstyle to use in Ubers?

Offense or Bulky Offense is the way to go for. Can't ever let my opp know what my next move is :smiling_imp: :gun:

Favorite game you've witnessed?

(Wcop XII -Tsunami- vs Nintendi)​
I was at least 17/18 when I watched this game and it hasn't left my memory yet. Watching Nintendi play gave me inspiration to implement into my own game play. He got like the majority of plays right that game and ended winning this in fashion. There was a lot of similar games he's played in this style but this one sticks out the most in my head.

Do you look up to any Ubers Players?

I look up to a number of players. Pohjis, Hack, Astounded, Enzo Gorlami(Gunner Rohan), Level 56, and Mr.378 are a couple of people I look up to and still chat with to this very day. I've bonded with Pohjis and Enzo the most as I've teamed with them in my first UPL and they passed their experience into how I can approach the builder or the game itself and they are very outgoing people to speak with so I thank them for making me the player/person I am today.

How was managing the Durian dynasty? Were you content with the draft and what were your overall thoughts on the season?

Managing and playing with the durians was a blast, Regardless of the result. Unfortunately, I was unable to show up in the actual draft.... due to irl reasons. However, we got the majority of people we wanted on the team and that's all a manager could ask for. The season itself wasn't the best I expected from us as we struggled to get wins out of either from rng or just misplays and we couldn't come together as a team and that's on us. Although, I had a pleasure watching guys like TonyFlygon take interest in the new tier and play as well as he did without previous experience, shoutouts to him.

You managed the Slaying Sirfetch'ds in Ubers newest team tour, Most Wanted. How was the experience? Overall thoughts on the tournament format?

I had a fun experience. It was my first time managing a team tour in ubers so I felt pretty determined to try to draft the best I could and go from there, the draft overall went great I got the majority of guys I wanted. The tour itself went well, we managed to get to semifinals and managed to keep FIVE players alive which was the most on one team. However, it wasnt enough to win the tour sadly :(. I honestly believe that the team that has the most players alive should be the tournament winners, that's like the only thing I believe should change.

Do you think Ubers is on the right path to get back into officials?

I believe Ubers is currently on the right path to get back into officials. There has been no cheating/alt scandals as of recent, we have a fresh and new SS playerbase that are flourishing in the scene; players like Icemaster, fc04, crucify, cromagnet, and Truenora have been recent new names that have a huge passion for the tier. It's honestly just a matter of time for when someone suggests the idea of it being included in the next major teamtour (SPL).

Any advice to new players looking to break into Ubers?

suck my dionk be friendly and outgoing with others. They will see that you're a kind user and someone who isnt afraid to take risks, also PLAY PLAY AND PLAY the more you play, the more comfortable you'll be able to understand what moves to go for during certain situations and what moves not to go for during certain situations. Play in tours like Seasonals, ladder tour, Pentathlon, Ubers Majors; these tours are a good opportunity for you to showcase yourself as a player or even a builder. Remember, you are the seller and the audience are buyers. Speak with people who have massive experience in the tier and ask them what their go-to thing is and they'll be glad to answer.

Could you provide us with a team you've made and explain the thought behind it?

:hippowdon: :tyranitar: :excadrill: :skarmory: :eternatus: :marshadow: (click for import)
This was a SS team i used in upl for week 1 vs Royal. I didnt really know what to expect from him to bring so i decided to bring sand which was good vs any offense that might've potentially been brought so I decided to pair Excadrill with Band Ttar which could help weaken mons that could take Excadrill on such as corviknight, rotom, quagmire, and skarmory. I had another sand setter in the form of eject button hippo incase things get wary with Zacian/Lunala. Skarmory serves as an defensive spiker that has enough speed to taunt corviknight from defoging. Eternatus and Marsh provide additional wallbreaking and the former provides a water resist.

Personal Question: Your life depends on winning a bo3 consisting of monotype, ubers and ou but you have to pick a Rebel member to play for you. Who you picking?
Well its definitely not gonna be Alpha Rabbit, fucking noob. Im picking Bitana any day of the week

=

Thanks for your time answering these questions Skysolo! Feel free to ask questions below in the thread!

Last edited:
Least favourite mon to play against and why?
Most underrated or underused mon in your opinion?
Thoughts on the current usability of quagsire since the rise of kyurem black?
Also congrats on becoming tiering council!
1. Volcarona. That thing requires you to play your checks to it correctly and if you mess up, its gg.
2. LO Dusk mane. That thing is a menacing breaker with coverage to hit the whole tier with.
3. I believe Quag has dropped down in usage because people have figured out to expose it in teambuilder by building teams that good vs the mon.
4. Thank you!

Time to marry/kiss/kill game. Hs, Pietro and me. Choose. :clown:

More seriously, what do you think of the meta rn ? Since we discovered in UPL some broken HO screen/rain, is it the strongest playstyle in your PoV, or do you find BO/balance more consistant ?

Time to marry/kiss/kill game. Hs, Pietro and me. Choose. :clown:

More seriously, what do you think of the meta rn ? Since we discovered in UPL some broken HO screen/rain, is it the strongest playstyle in your PoV, or do you find BO/balance more consistant ?
Marry you kill hs and kiss Pietro

The metagame is leaning towards more offensive oriented teams to expose the standard balances people run. I do believe BO teams to be the most consistent playstyle.
418-4183978_pensive-clown-discord-emoji-pensive-discord-emoji-hd.jpg

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Who is your dad? Who is your mum?
Who's the worst teammate you've ever had in an Ubers tournament and why is it me?
Would you rather be French or Indian?
TREYWAY! y/n?
Would you rather schedule with an Australian or someone from Alaska?
UPL or MW?
If you could (un)ban one mon from any OM, what would you choose and why?
Will I ever make my triumphant return to PiC?

gratz on getting interviewed, btw my boy!

Who is your dad? Who is your mum?
Who's the worst teammate you've ever had in an Ubers tournament and why is it me?
Would you rather be French or Indian?
TREYWAY! y/n?
Would you rather schedule with an Australian or someone from Alaska?
UPL or MW?
If you could (un)ban one mon from any OM, what would you choose and why?
Will I ever make my triumphant return to PiC?

gratz on getting interviewed, btw my boy!
1. Level 56 and Astounded (in that order)
2. Probably you and LucosDICampos
3. French
4. TREYWAY
5. Alaska
6. UPL but MW was fun
7. Lunala in gen8 mnm. I think its pretty good but not good enough to get banned as of right now
8. Maybe one day in om snake VIII...

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
1.) there have been rumors that you hail from the glorious nation of india, can you confirm or deny? and if you deny, why would someone spread such slanderous rumors?
2.) are you an ass man?
3.) wats ur profile pic and why lol. on here and on discord

Last edited:
1.) there have been rumors that you hail from the glorious nation of india, can you confirm or deny? and if you deny, why would someone spread such slanderous rumors?
2.) are you an ass man?
3.) wats ur profile pic and why lol. on here and on discord
1. Deny. People like Staxi just want my downfall but im on my purpose :fukyu:
2. If its clean then yes
3. Search up Madison beer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)