Project Ubers Player of the Week #5: Staxi

Status
Not open for further replies.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Nayrz with idea from Arii Stella
Banner by my good friend Six

Welcome to Ubers Player of the Week! I'll be interviewing top Ubers players that have had success and are respected in the community. You will be able to ask questions to the player I interview by commenting on this post. Everyone cannot be interviewed but you can VM me or DM on Discord suggestions, hope you enjoy!

:eternatus: Staxi :zacian-crowned:

Favorite Pokemon?

:klinklang:

Most known for?

Being a jack-of-all-trades, being a PS! room staff and hosting Ubers tournaments (and if this is relevant idk, #1 atm on championship sheet)

Any backstory on your name?

13 years old me typing 5 random letters on his keyboard.

What got you into competitive Pokemon?

10 years ago I read many french guide, about competitive Pokemon, EV, IV, breeding etc but I was only 9 years old at the time so I was just too young to put everything in practice and DPP weren't the easiest games to breed and really get into competitive Pokemon (I didn't know about Shoddy Battle and Pokemon Online). 7 years ago I used to hang out on a french website named jeuxvideo.com on a Pokemon subforum (XY at the time) and I saw a thread talking about an online pokemon simulator, I was intrigued and I gave it a try, 7 years later i'm still around.

Favorite and least favorite Ubers generation?

Favorite: Sm, because this is the first Ubers tier where I really get into competitively. I really like the tier because it is very balanced, Necrozma-Ultra is maybe a bit too powerful but there are many ways to check it. I also like that fact that many playstyles are viable and stall teams are not too good. Thought I have to say that I preferred more 2017-early 2018 Sm because we didn't have Marshadow and Necrozma-Dusk-Mane (and Necrozma-Ultra) which are a bit boring to deal with.
Least favorite: Oras because I don't like the fact that the Deoxys-Speed hyper offense is one if not the best team of the tier, giving little room(s?) for other playstyles besides stall. I think things like Xerneas, Mega-Salamence and Ekiller are just too powerful and there is no reason to not play them which makes the tier kind of boring due to the fact that every non-Oras players (and even Oras players) play the same teams.

With USM being your favorite generation do you agree with others saying its a near perfect gen? Do you think we will see any further development in the tier and can you give us your overall thoughts on the generation?

Yeah I totally agree with others saying that, nothing is really broken and it's an enjoyable tier to play. Since Z-moves are a great option, I think we will maybe see further development in the tier. From my personal experience (and not many people agree..) I prefer early SM, before marshadow and Necrozma-Dusk-Mane because I don't really like those Pokemon and I miss using Z-hypnosis Lunala.. but otherwise the tier has always been cool to play for me!

What are your overall thoughts on SS and what do you think about the upcoming DLC?

I don't really like the metagame atm, screens, sun and rain are just too good. I think the way to go is to either ban dynamax as a whole or allow every Pokemon to dynamax, but the most reasonable decision is probably to ban it entirely. Concerning the upcoming DLC, I hope it will changes the weathers + screens metagame but since both groudon and kyogre are returning I doubt. I also like the galarian birds but they will probably be bad in Ubers.

Recently the discussion about Baton Pass/Evasion in BW Ubers has been brought up and seems many people have strong opinions on it. Do you have a stance on rather it should stay or be banned?

I think it should be banned because it's really uncompetitive, there is no skill required to use this kind of teams, just have to pray for some good mu or luck.

Favorite game you've witnessed?

I don't have a favorite game but here is a game I recently watched and liked, UPL finals between two great SS Ubers players. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-515788

Do you have a favorite playstyle to use in Ubers?

Yes, Bulky Offense, because I don't like the fact that hyper offense is all or nothing and i'm not really great with stall.

Do you think Farceus should stay in DPP?

Yes, I think Farceus should stay in DPP. Farceus is a great addition to the tier, except Ekiller which can be pretty boring to deal with sometimes, it makes the tier more enjoyable to play than the previous Toxic spikes + pressure metagame.

You participated in Most Wanted, Ubers newest team tour with the Behemoth Blades. Did you like the style of the tournament? Any thoughts or critique you would give?

Yeah I liked the style of the tournament, i'd like to participate in the next edition. The only critique I can give is that I don't like the fact that 2-3 players can win the whole tour by themselves (for example: Garay and Dovah in the first edition). Thought I don't know if there is a reasonable way to avoid that.

You got to play for the iconic Dareal Drizzlers this UPL! What are your thoughts on the team and overall season?

When I was drafted, I didn't know at all MM2 and I didn't know how Nayrz manages so I was skeptic but they helped me a lot for my preps and they were pleasant to talk with so it was a great tour for me overall. I'm of course disappointed that we didn't make it to the playoffs but I only won 2 matches so I can't really complain. Outside the competitive aspect of the tour I got to know more some cool people on my team like you, MM2, Nayrz, Nora, Perry, DNNP, BallFire, Fireburn and 64 Squares, iirc we ended up 7th but at least it was a blast.

Congratulations on being number 1 in circuit standings! Most of your points are from older generations, does this have anything to do with the current generation?

No, besides Oras I like to play every generations, this is mainly due to the fact I played old gens more than I played SS (this will maybe change after the upcoming DLC).

What do you think are grounds for banning in Ubers? Do you think Ubers should stay true to its original tiering philosophy?

I think dynamax should be banned in SS Ubers and evasion pass in BW Ubers. Yes I think Ubers should stay true to its original tiering philosophy, if something is not really really broken it shouldn't be banned.

With you being staff in RoA do you have an overall favorite non-ubers old gen meta?

Yeah I like to play Sm and Adv OU a lot, I started playing seriously during SM days and I like to play Adv in some tournaments when I can, thought I have no great results in those tiers, I reached semis of the last SM GC and I am qualified for the SM circuit but that is it.

Any advice to new players looking to break into Ubers?

Use the samples if you are new in Ubers then try to build your own teams, sign up to the forum tournaments and don't hesitate to ask for advices!

Could you provide us with a team you've made and explain the thought behind it?

:latios: :skarmory: :arceus-ground: :Blissey: :groudon: :dialga: (click for import)
(DPP) I used this team during the 3rd week of the last UPL against Lord Thorx, I chose to put a latios lead because I expected him to bring either tentacruel or kyogre as a lead and it worked. Psychic is here to Ohko Lum tentacruel, Thunder for kyogre and DM as a strong stab. Dialga as my SR setter because it's a strong setter and spreading Twave is great for Groundceus. Groudon as a late game sweeper, this set is really good and I noticed my opponent was a bit weak to this. Skarmory because EH are really strong in DPP and I didn't want to be weak to Ekiller. Blissey as my Lati@s/Darkrai/Kyogre check, it also runs Twave to prevents darkrai to sweep my team after a NP and is also useful for Groundceus. Finally Groundceus because I wanted to test it, Swords Dance + Recover seemed strong, EQ + Shadow Force have a great coverage if the opponent doesn't have Skarmory.

Personal Question: Who would win in a fight Itachi or Pain?
I don't know who would win between these two but I know Sasori would beat them.

=

Sorry for the delay, thanks for answering these questions Staxi! Feel free to ask him more questions in the thread!

Gman

Stay kind, stay compassionate
Hello Staxi, big fan!
1. What is your favorite food, besides chicken sandwiches?
2. Since Mix and Mega is basically Ubers but better, what has prevented you from playing it and smacking all of us? :blobnom:

3. Why is Italy the best country ?

4. If you had unlimited cash for a month and the virus didn't exist, what would you do?

5. Have a nice day!!

(Dear Ubers community, please don't stone me alive, #2 it's merely a joke and I got permission from my sexy bodyguards Terracotta, Skysolo and Lasen, whom I admire a lot :blobuwu: )

Staxi

Staxoat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Why are you french?
Why are you indian?
Hello Staxi, big fan!
1. What is your favorite food, besides chicken sandwiches?
2. Since Mix and Mega is basically Ubers but better, what has prevented you from playing it and smacking all of us? :blobnom:

3. Why is Italy the best country ?

4. If you had unlimited cash for a month and the virus didn't exist, what would you do?

5. Have a nice day!!

(Dear Ubers community, please don't stone me alive, #2 it's merely a joke and I got permission from my sexy bodyguards Terracotta, Skysolo and Lasen, whom I admire a lot :blobuwu: )
1. Chicken sandwiches are by far my favorite but I also like strawberry cakes

2. You know how much I don't like OMs :psycry:

3. Because you and Lambovino are part of it

4. I'd fly all around the world and buy expensive clothes I think

5. Likewise :heart:

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
1) What is less funny? LE CHOUINAY or Tag if you're stupid/French?
2) What is your favourite tier to play outside of Ubers? What draws you to it?
3) Will RoA staff ever realise that you're French and thus demote you?
4) If you could be on any past roster of Most Wanted or UPL, which one would you pick?
5) Waffles or crepes?
6) Rank these users from best to worst (overall): Ismakhill, Royal1604, Exiline, SiTuM, Ciel
7) If you could speak any one language in the world, what would you pick?
8) Zarel's magic time machine allows you to bring one old-gens mon to a previous gen with every Gen 8 gimmick it has, besides Dynamax (eg. Icicle Spear Kyurem-White). What's your pick?

Gratz on the interview and on losing in RoAlympics!

Staxi

Staxoat
1) What is less funny? LE CHOUINAY or Tag if you're stupid/French?
2) What is your favourite tier to play outside of Ubers? What draws you to it?
3) Will RoA staff ever realise that you're French and thus demote you?
4) If you could be on any past roster of Most Wanted or UPL, which one would you pick?
5) Waffles or crepes?
6) Rank these users from best to worst (overall): Ismakhill, Royal1604, Exiline, SiTuM, Ciel
7) If you could speak any one language in the world, what would you pick?
8) Zarel's magic time machine allows you to bring one old-gens mon to a previous gen with every Gen 8 gimmick it has, besides Dynamax (eg. Icicle Spear Kyurem-White). What's your pick?

Gratz on the interview and on losing in RoAlympics!
1/ both options are really cringe
2/ I love DPP NU and I started playing it when I reached semis of last DPP NU cup, I also played it in NUPL when Kiyo drafted me :heart:
3/ I'm waiting for you Rage
4/ idk
5/ crepes by far
6/ royal > exiline > rest
7/ probably spanish or german
8/ nasty plot rotom

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Congrats on the interview!
1. You play a lot of old gens and did well in even the lesser played ones like gsc, but what's your opinion on the very underplayed rby ubers?
2. Why is klingklang you favourite mon?
3. With farceus being voted on now, what's your favourite type to use and which one is your least favourite to play against?
4. With how much you like using z-moves, which was your favourite user of them? Was it z-hypnosis lunala like you mentioned or something more consistent?
I don't have a favorite game but here is a game I recently watched and liked, UPL finals between two great SS Ubers players. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ubers-515788
ty :)

Staxi

Staxoat
1) Is Lasen a great user?
2) Did you have to think longer than 3 seconds to reply to #1 ?
3) If Farceus gets banned, will you keep a similar interest in DPP or will it lower it?
4) Most underrated ceus in dpp/bw/sm ?
1/ sometimes
2/ Nope
3/ It will obviously lower it but I think i'll still play it
4/dpp -> Groundceus (with a paraspam it can be really good) / bw -> Darkceus / sm -> Darkceus

Congrats on the interview!
1. You play a lot of old gens and did well in even the lesser played ones like gsc, but what's your opinion on the very underplayed rby ubers?
2. Why is klingklang you favourite mon?
3. With farceus being voted on now, what's your favourite type to use and which one is your least favourite to play against?
4. With how much you like using z-moves, which was your favourite user of them? Was it z-hypnosis lunala like you mentioned or something more consistent?
Thanks dude!
1/ I didn't play rby ubers much but I don't really like the tier.. i'm a bit cursed so I avoid rby as much as I can
2/ I love its design and its name in french (Clicticlic)
3/ I like to use fighting and normal, and I obviously don't like to play against ekiller..
4/ z-hypnosis lunala was my favorite during early sm days, but now my favorite is light that burn the sky

Cynara

Banned deucer.
1) thoguhts on fried calamari?
2) How would you rate the area of lyon? my brother was working there recently
3) what is the worst political quadrant and why? (hint: Its Right Liberatarianism)
4) Socks or no socks to bed? idk why im asking this tbh maybe im too drunk.
5) Want play fall guys sometime? I'm lonely :blobsad:
6) whats youur shoesize

sorry im so awfully drunk

e: corrected my typing, oh my word

Last edited:

Staxi

Staxoat
1) thoguhts on fried calamari?
2) How would you rate the area of lyon? my brother was working there recently
3) what is the worst political quadrant and why? (hint: Its Right Liberatarianism)
4) Socks or no socks to bed? idk why im asking this tbh maybe im too drunk.
5) Want play fall guys sometime? I'm lonely :blobsad:
6) whats youur shoesize

sorry im so awfully drunk

e: corrected my typing, oh my word
1/ never ate that
2/ never visited lyon but I heard great things about this city
4/ no socks :psywoke:
5/ if it's crossplatform / you're on ps4, sure
6/ 40

hi Staxi, how are you ?
pantalons en feu

Cynara

Banned deucer.
ça va bien et toi ?
je vais bien aussi

I've always been a huge fan of the generation 2 games, I still play Pokemon Crystal to this today on occasions, Its probably my favourite Pokemon Game, It's probably an age and nostalgia thing, but I love the mechanics of generation 2 gameplay, the story and the soundtrack. The introduction of Day/night and Days made the game feel much more realistic idk why they scrapped it in gen 3. of the first pokemon games I fully understood, I started with Gen 1 but it didnt click as well with me at the time.

DPP Is my second fav though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)