Project Ubers Player of the Week #8: Highlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Nayrz with idea from Arii Stella
Banner by my good friend Six

Welcome to Ubers Player of the Week! I'll be interviewing top Ubers players that have had success and are respected in the community. You will be able to ask questions to the player I interview by commenting on this post. Everyone cannot be interviewed but you can VM me or DM on Discord suggestions, hope you enjoy!

:calyrex-shadow: Highlord :zacian-crowned:

Favorite Pokemon?

:infernape:

Most known for?

My UPL VI and VII runs

How did you get into competitive Pokemon?

Back in DPP days, I used to battle friends on local wireless using some pretty garbage teams. I usually lost those games, so I tried to research a bit on teambuilding and found Marriland’s Youtube videos which were pure gold for me at the time. I distinctly remember trying to build a Electivire team because that was apparently the hottest shit back then. At some point during BW2, I grew tired of the tedious grinding surrounding breeding and training, so I found PS while looking for online simulators. From there, I just copied people’s RMTs, laddered OU, and crushed my friends on wireless obviously. Eventually, I found Lance’s Blazing Glaciers and could not escape Ubers after that because that team was so fun to use.

Any backstory on your name ?

I'm sure there are a lot of interpretations regarding what my name is supposed to mean, but I actually just named myself after High Lord, the strongest unit in a flash game called Miragine War. Unfortunately, I forgot there was a space when I made my name.

Could you tell us a little about yourself?

Sure, I’m a 20 year old engineering student from NJ. Aside from ‘mons, I play Smash, Yugioh, and tennis. Recently, I’ve become more interested in 3D printing and writing.

Favorite and least favorite Ubers generations?

My favorite is DPP, and my least favorite is USM. I’ve also been playing more SS recently, and I think it’s a lot of fun.

What are your thoughts on the Farceus ban? How do you feel about the DPP meta and why is it your favorite generation?

I was against its ban because while Farceus was a potent sweeper and a versatile support, it did not take away from the competitiveness of DPP Ubers, and I don’t particularly care for the reluctance to touch old, “classic” metagames. In fact, the competitiveness probably increased with the inclusion of Arceus. But with or without ban, my thoughts about DPP Ubers have not changed in that it is my favorite metagame on Smogon. I think the way you pick what ‘mons you want to trade when advancing the game state is unique, and no switch really goes unpunished. I also really love the aesthetic and lore of generation 4.

Do you feel the playerbase for DPP ubers will improve due to the recent Farceus ban?

Yeah, I think a lot of great older players seeking to play standard DPP will be returning. Also, I think people who started to play DPP extensively during Farceus will continue to do so even after its ban, and the playerbase is looking better now than it has in the last few years.

What is your favorite type of team to use in DPP? Favorite lead and could you describe the significance of lead matchup to someone who is not very familiar with the meta?

My favorite team is definitely lead/support Dialga/Giratina-O/sweeper/sweeper/revenge killer because its matchup spread is incredible. Like any offensive metagame, leading is significant portion of the game where you can gain a or lose momentum, and DPP amplifies that because there is no team preview. Generally, this means the leads will be trying to get hazards up to drive the rest of the game or act as anti-leads against hazard leads. Currently, my favorite lead is Scarf Deoxys-S because it's so reliable at setting up Spikes while potentially dismantling teams early game with Trick and Thunder Wave. Some other great leads are Darkrai (Scarf, Lum, Sash), Tyranitar (Sash, Lum), other Deoxys variants (Colbur, Kasib, Sash), Deoxys-A (Sash), Kyogre (Lum, Scarf), Tentacruel (Lum), and Forretress (Occa, Lum, Leftovers). All of these leads in some way or another attempt to have a good matchup vs Deoxys-S, which is the lead to beat.

Is there any overrated or underrated Pokemon or sets in DPP you would like to share?

I think Bulk Up Dialga, Sub CM Giratina-A, and support Jirachi are overrated because in a lot of match ups they don't really help advance the game state. Here are some underrated sets:
Deoxys-Speed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Trick

It's actually nutty how consistent Scarf Deoxy-S dominates so many leads while also spreading paralysis. Against Colbur or Sash Deoxy-S, the advantage you gain using Trick is sometimes game winning.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Void
- Pursuit
- Thunder
- Brick Break

Pursuit is great because it makes sure low health sleep sacks die on switch and kills Latias on switch. Brick Break breaks through Blissey, and Thunder is just a all around good move in rain catching Skamory and Kyogre. I think Darkrai is a far more versatile Pursuit trapper than Tyranitar or Scizor.(edited)
[4:03 PM]
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Hypnosis
- Stealth Rock

Bronzong teams tend to be weak to Forretress. and a lot of the time you'll be running your Bronzong in rain meaning you can't just HP Fire on the switch in. Hypnosis solves this issue sort of because it prevents Forretress some spinning, and it's not completely useless elsewhere either. For example, you can just blind hypnosis after tanking something's Draco Meteor or after switching into Groudon that lacks fire coverage. Obviously, 60% accuracy is pretty shit but I think the risk vs reward pays off in the matchups that need it the most.

Qwilfish @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic Spikes

The other Swift Swimmers like Kabutops and Kingdra are great sweepers, but Qwilfish is very good as a support. I listed just one combination of moves, but it also has some other good moves like Destiny Bond and Spikes. I usually use Lum just to switch into Darkrai one time, but you can try bulkier sets like Chilan to revenge kill +2 Lucario or Wacan with a bulkier spread to get more hazards up against Dialga.

It seems to be an unpopular opinion, why is USM your least favorite generation of ubers?

I just don't like how Toxic centralizes the metagame and switching feels too free.

How do you feel about the BW evasionpass discussion? You brought it in Ubers Live finals, were you trying to prove a point?

I think it should be banned because any evasion ‘mon can instantly become a win condition out of the blue even without Baton Pass. I brought it in Uber Live finals because I thought it might win but you know: play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Its said your prep for tour games is very intensive, how would you describe your preparation? Would you say its a key to your success?

I don't really prep for individuals that much because it's harder to prep alone, and the amount you prep is proportionate to how much you want to win. And, when you're playing for a team, you have to make sure you don't let them down despite how much you personally care about winning, so naturally I prep more for team tournaments. When I do prep though, I'd describe it as practice in order to play the actual game flawlessly, and if you somehow still make mistakes that means you didn't practice hard enough. Of course there is time spent on scouting and team building, but I think focusing on the gameplay is more important. So yeah, prep is key to my success and I'd imagine a lot of other people's too.

Thoughts on the current state of SS? What do you think about the ongoing Dynamax suspect and potential of other suspects?

A lot of Dynamax forms exceed the power bracket for the tier and force a lot of matchups to be sacrificed at a builder level, so I think the mechanic should be banned. After the Dynamax suspect, I think it is reasonable to look at Calyrex because that speed, typing, and power again forces a lot of matchups to be sacrificed at builder. But those two aside, I think the way tier gravitates towards offense in conjunction with how it offers several win routes in gameplay makes the tier enticing.

Do you have a favorite playstyle to use in Ubers?

Not really. Although, I tend to stick to more offensive structures simply because I think it's the best.

Do you have a favorite team to use in Oras Ubers? Do you follow the hate train for the tier?

My favorite team in ORAS is that mags tentacruel I spam even though it loses to stall. Being completely honest, I don't hate ORAS; I just meme it for fun, but that doesn't dismiss from its pretty significant flaws. Namely, the sweepers in the tier are pretty linear and don't offer a lot of utility against other top threats. Also, the reliance of inaccurate moves on Xerneas and Groudon is comical.

How would you describe your 8-0 UPL run? How was the UPL experience like for you and why didnt you participate this previous UPL?

I mean considering I was a random 3k from the end of the draft, I had no idea I would be that successful. After Lord Outrage forgot to show up one week, I got subbed into ORAS for my debut and snuck into DPP the following week. My first DPP win was my big break, so we began doing an inhuman amount of prep easily playing over a hundred games every week with the finalized team choice just to figure out optimal variations in every matchup. Like if I lost once, we just grinded that matchup until I won assertively or decided it was unwinnable. And, it goes without saying that we did a lot of scouting beforehand to look for holes in my opponents' team structures.
But yeah, I’d say my UPL experience was pretty good all around; I just didn’t sign up for the most recent one because it was a new meta, Farceus, and I had not achieved the same level of caliber in the tier to uphold my previous records. Plus, it felt like a temporary meta until the vote took place, so the motivation was a bit lacking.

You had an impressive Ubers Live run, do you consider yourself solid in all generations? Do you build in any of the tiers or get teams from another source?

Absolutely not, I only consider myself competent in DPP, and while I do build for all tiers, I prefer using teams from another source unless it's DPP because they're usually better. My prep wasn't anything crazy, I kind of just looked at a few replays and picked out some 'mons that might have a decent matchup.

Favorite game you've witnessed?

My favorite game is my G1 against Fardin for a round robin AG Open finals in 2018. It is an absolute train wreck of a game with misplays and hax sprinkled throughout.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-704171439
Shortly after this, Fardin dropped out of the tour, and I brought a Bulk Up Dialga against HamHamHamHam which unsurprisingly lost me the tournament.

Do you look up to any Ubers players?

Iris. A lot of my DPP teams are inspired by his stuff plus he carried the metagame for several years.

Could you provide a team and explain the thought behind the build?

:tentacruel: :groudon: :bronzong: :latios: :kyogre: :dialga: (click for import)
The idea behind the team is to control the game with Thunder Wave Kyogre and Groudon because nothing really deals with them reliably. For instance, Palkia/Latios can't stay alive long enough to deal with both. Toxic Spikes keep Groudon and Blissey at Bay, Latios pokes holes into support Dialga teams, Bronzong switches into Dragons while setting up rocks, and Scarf Dialga makes sure faster 'mons like Mewtwo or Darkrai don't gain too much momentum. The HP Fires on Bronzong and Tentacruel are specifically to deal with Forretress stall, which is otherwise an impossible matchup. The Tentacruel is also important for absorbing opposing Toxic Spikes because they diminish the effectiveness of your Kyogre and Groudon. Another thing you have to keep in mind is knowing when it's okay to trade your Groudon because often you need Groudon alive to deal with Rain offenses in late game. I think it's a pretty solid team overall, but you have to play carefully knowing what 'mons will be important in the matchup, and certain lead matchups like Psycho Boost Deoxys-S are complicated.

Personal Question: Top 5 DPP Uber players of all time?
Not sure, but I can say Iris, BKC, M dragon are top 3 in no order.
=

Thanks Highlord for answering these questions! Feel free to ask more in the thread below!

Last edited:

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Do you think an AG main could do better in Ubers than an Ubers main in AG? If so, why/why not?
Will you ever stop paralyzing all of your opponent's mons as a win-con?
Why does your state have the worst twitter account known to man?
Is TCOT cute?
Is pazza real?
Will you ever stop using Ubers' cringe-ass emotes?
Did you forget your abdominal father in your top 3?
Mary fuck kill: Bed, Bath and Beyond.

congrats on the interview, ofc!

Was dpp Uber ur favorite meta game even before that goat run u had in upl?
According to room logs, I probably started playing DPP sometime in late 2015, but I was still mostly focusing on the ORAS Ubers ladder. DPP probably became my favorite around late 2016 or early 2017 when I started to play forum tours. However, I also began grinding Mix and Mega in mid or late 2016, so it seems for a while that was my favorite tier.

Do you think an AG main could do better in Ubers than an Ubers main in AG? If so, why/why not?
Will you ever stop paralyzing all of your opponent's mons as a win-con?
Why does your state have the worst twitter account known to man?
Is TCOT cute?
Is pazza real?
Will you ever stop using Ubers' cringe-ass emotes?
Did you forget your abdominal father in your top 3?
Mary fuck kill: Bed, Bath and Beyond.

congrats on the interview, ofc!

I think top players won’t have too much of an issue transitioning to their respective non-native tier, but I’ll give AG players the edge because when you’re coming from land ruled by absolute nonsense, the crackhead level creativity is unparalleled.
No
Phil Murphy interns
Very
Yes
No
No
????????????? Kill bed, marry bath, fuck beyond

being you've played many untiers like myself
Toughest opp across upl,ompl,agpl etc?
favorite cheese build you have conjured up?
oras overall or dpp? take into account all metas.
do you have a focus yet for engineering?
OMPL: in the hills (although I barely remember any games), AGPL: Chloe, UPL: M Dragon
Back in ORAS, I used Block Xern set with Kee Berry so you win vs lead Excadrill turn 1. It was pretty bad but fun when it worked.
DPP easily
I’m doing mechanical engineering but not sure what concentration and stuff to go after yet.

Last edited:
Do you hate me ?
Are you French ?
How/why did you find smogon ?
Why didn’t you put Iris as undisputed #1 ?
Do you love me ?
Favorite ubers discord emote ?
Who is worse/ more cringe cynara or dream ?
Why do people call you dollar store Lavos when you are 18x better than him ?
Rank ubers generations from most based to most cringe
Favorite color (do not say white)
When will you quit smogon ?
Why didn’t you play in UPL ?
Are we managing UPL ?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are your five favorite DPP move animations?

What is the greatest DPP Ubers game of all time and why is it Marriland vs. Untouchable?

If you were the champion in DPP, what four players would you pick to be your Elite 4?

Top three favorite yugioh cards not named thunder dragon or its sequels.

Can I expect you to delete your signup post in Most Wanted?

Do you hate me ?
Are you French ?
How/why did you find smogon ?
Why didn’t you put Iris as undisputed #1 ?
Do you love me ?
Favorite ubers discord emote ?
Who is worse/ more cringe cynara or dream ?
Why do people call you dollar store Lavos when you are 18x better than him ?
Rank ubers generations from most based to most cringe
Favorite color (do not say white)
When will you quit smogon ?
Why didn’t you play in UPL ?
Are we managing UPL ?
No
No
I was looking for sets for wifi battles and the first thing that comes up is smogon.
Iris is a people’s champ; we’ll never witness his true power until he stops using Gliscor and crap… which is never.
Yes
:wazowski:
Dream is unfathomably more cringe lol
idk you get what you pay for? my bitch levels and trash talk aren't there yet.
SS, DPP, ADV, USM, GSC, ORAS, BW, RBY..... although everything after SS and DPP doesn't really matter
Red
When I lose interest or become considerably more busy, but even after leaving the game I will probably lurk.
Didn’t feel like throwing games in metas I didn’t know and Farceus felt temporary.
That would break all sorts of barriers and probably requires some sort of bribery but yes.

What are your five favorite DPP move animations?

What is the greatest DPP Ubers game of all time and why is it Marriland vs. Untouchable?

If you were the champion in DPP, what four players would you pick to be your Elite 4?

Top three favorite yugioh cards not named thunder dragon or its sequels.

Can I expect you to delete your signup post in Most Wanted?
To be honest I don’t remember too many but Sketch, Draco Meteor, Thunder, Taunt, and Close Combat were cool.
Something about our hero, Marriland, fending off a guy who didn't play by wifi etiquette was pretty hype. Untouchable was also using the Darkrai that every 10 year old theorized to be unbeatable.
The Immortal, Benbe, Pazza, and Cynara. The synergy looks a little bit questionable, but it would probably be fun.
Never really thought about it but probably Dark Magician of Chaos, Dark Armed Dragon, and Apprentice Illusion Magician.
If I sign up, I will delete it.

Last edited:
top 3 favorite dpp ubers games you've played?

I noticed the scarf dialga on the team you posted was timid, which is definitely fair there. on teams that can deal with non-lead deo-a with other methods (mostly gira-o, sometimes scizor/swift swim), do you believe in neutral nature scarfed dialga/kyogre, given the rarity of non-lead deo-a to begin with, dd ray's inclination to run +speed anyway, and the upside of the power boost?

do you think, in addition to the seemingly like dynamax ban, ubers would also need to remove calyrex-s in order to be added to snake again?

how can one feasibly bypass the focus on toxic in usm?

how can one feasibly bypass the reliance on inaccurate moves in oras?

would you ever consider playing ou (any gen) in high level tournaments?

top 3 favorite dpp ubers games you've played?

I noticed the scarf dialga on the team you posted was timid, which is definitely fair there. on teams that can deal with non-lead deo-a with other methods (mostly gira-o, sometimes scizor/swift swim), do you believe in neutral nature scarfed dialga/kyogre, given the rarity of non-lead deo-a to begin with, dd ray's inclination to run +speed anyway, and the upside of the power boost?

do you think, in addition to the seemingly like dynamax ban, ubers would also need to remove calyrex-s in order to be added to snake again?

how can one feasibly bypass the focus on toxic in usm?

how can one feasibly bypass the reliance on inaccurate moves in oras?

would you ever consider playing ou (any gen) in high level tournaments?
UPL VI: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ubers-376493
Somewhat of an anticlimactic game and I perhaps the only reason I like it is because it was my first major win, but the game also demonstrates great prep. Going into the game I expected a bulky lead ttar and a team that loses to cm mewtwo; fortunately, both happened granted I was virtually unknown at the time making it harder to prep against me than vice versa.
Weekend Tour: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ubers-452863892
Nowadays, I would never bring teams like this but the fact that this worked was kind of funny even given the hax. Hell, I don’t even know how I came up with this sort of stuff.
Random Friendly: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ubers-523399
Okay so not a lot of weight to this game and frankly I have trouble finding memorable games in general, but sometimes you wonder why all games can’t go like this; I mean it looks straight up choreographed.

I realize it’s best not to rely on speed ties, but scarf dialga vs scarf dialga comes up more often than not which is why I generally run +spe. Obviously, if your team handles opposing scarf dialga and deoxys-A reliably, then modest is not a bad choice because the power difference is noticeable. However, for kyogre, I’m more willing to go for the power boost simply because the speed tie is less important.

I think calyrex-S is manageable with dynamax banned, but I’m not completely sold yet and will need to play more games to form a sophisticated stance. As for returning to Snake, I have no idea what that entails.

I’m not a USM expert by any means, but I’d imagine offensive cores based around Z marshadow, glare zygarde, Z naganadel, kyogre or any ‘mons with similar breaking power won’t need to wait to whither down support arceus via toxic.

One option is straying from mindless HO (even though that’s what peak ORAS feels like) because it’s usually only potent when you manage to actually land your focus blasts, thunders, pblades, dark voids, and stone edges. Bulkier teams get more leeway because their momentum doesn’t die after small instances of misfortune; I myself am a fan of the dialga + scarf xern structure for this reason. The other options are running less risky options like eq pdon or the mono geo xern that’s very popular.

I’ll probably play DPP OU next year because I like the tier more with dugtrio banned.

what do you think about bp in dpp?

do you think there are still unexplored mons or sets in dpp?

do you think usage represents viability?
BP is viable but will never be consistent enough to be considered a good team. I myself have lost quite a few tour games using BP.

Qwilfish and pursuit darkrai are the main ones, but I was also using clefable recently with a passable success rate so maybe someone could optimize that. At first glance it seems like a worse jirachi/blissey but in hazard heavy games the magic guard carries you to victory.

Usage does not represent viability because usage is based around metagame trends and not what is necessarily “intrinsically” good. A good example of this is when gira-a tspike teams seemed unstoppable for a bit even though standard dialga offenses slaughter them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)