Tournament Ubers Premier League IX - Finals (Won by DaReal Drizzlers)

DugZa

Carpe Diem
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion

(Banner by Lauriane)
Welcome to the ninth edition of Ubers Premier League, an all-Ubers team tournament where managers draft from the pool of players to compete in a seven-week round-robin battle for Ubers supremacy. The top four teams will then advance to the playoffs, where the winning team will be crowned the premier of Ubers battling. This is Uber’s largest and premier team tournament, providing an opportunity for Ubers powerhouses to display their dominance, veteran players to return, and for new talent to emerge.
Here's a few things to remember:
- A replay / log must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.
- General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default simulator for all metagames unless both parties agree. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must save a log of the match. All matches are best of one, except for the best of three slot.

Tournament Standing & Records

Defiant Durians (2) vs. DaReal Drizzlers (7)

SS: TonyFlygon vs. Lunala
SS: Cam vs. Luna's Banned now
SS: Skysolo vs. TJ
USM: GO lucario vs. Gondra
ORAS: obii vs. Thiago Nunes
BW: watashi vs. Evuelf
DPP: Chill Shadow vs. SoulWind
ADV: Triangles vs. Heysup
GSC: d0nut vs. M Dragon
BO3: Garay oak vs. Fardin

Deadline is Sunday at 9:00 PM EDT

Last edited by a moderator:

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Defiant Durians (0) vs. DaReal Drizzlers (0)

Defiant Durians (6) vs. DaReal Drizzlers (4)

SS: TonyFlygon vs. Lunala - Lunala's been doing great this tour, but I think Tony will take it here. The mental game has already been won, as Lunala will now have Ice Shard on every mon in fear of the teapot so I think Tony can take advantage of that for the win.

SS: Cam vs. Luna's Banned now - Cam has been solid so far this tour, being undefeated in SS. LBN hasn't been doing too bad either with a positive record, but I think Cam's more recent streak and great support from Skysolo and Tony will give him a slight edge here, close game though.

SS: Skysolo vs. TJ - TJ has been incredibly consistent so far, with a great 7-1 record to show for it. Skysolo's still been solidly positive, though, and with TJ's only loss coming from the Durians earlier this season I think Skysolo will take it.

USM: GO lucario vs. Gondra - Gondra's had an incredible tour so far, with I think the best sm record overall by a good bit. GO Lucario has definitely been a surprise this tour, doing alright for a breakout tour, but I think Gondra's success will continue here.

ORAS: obii vs. Thiago Nunes - Obii's been the more solid player record wise through the tour so far, while also starting in oras more. I think that gives a slight advantage, but this game is one of the closer ones that I was less sure of.

BW: watashi vs. Evuelf - After SuperEpicAmpharos was sacrificed to watashi when these teams played in the regular season I think Evuelf will have the boost he needs to win.

DPP: Chill Shadow vs. SoulWind - Chill Shadow has done a bit better overall this tour, and if SoulWind brings stuff like lead don I think Chill Shadow will take it, but its SoulWind so this can probably go either way.

ADV: Triangles vs. Heysup - I think Heysup will take this one, he won last time these teams met and has been more positive this season overall. Triangles is definitely solid though so it'll be close (my trademarked predictions format) but I see Heysup winning this.

GSC: d0nut vs. M Dragon - M Dragon didn't have the best start to the season, but he's been on a small streak recently and I think if he fully regained his footing in the tier he'll take this, but d0nut has been doing very solidly so this will be a good one despite it being gsc.

BO3: Garay oak vs. Fardin - As long as Garay has showed up to his games this tour he hasn't lost, I don't think that'll change here.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
I can’t wait for the series to be 5-4 where a final, likely messy GSC game decides the fate of UPL.

The Durians have had tremendous SS success and innovation. Specs Zekrom and Banded Buzzwole are very fun, and had incredible debut games this UPL. Looking for some good/clean games in this last series, perhaps ones where Calyrex-S is not a broken autowin.

Also in any case, never did I expect LBN to be here in a UPL finals. Then again, my ass went 1-4. Luna's Banned now ITS COMING HOME

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
I can’t wait for the series to be 5-4 where a final, likely messy GSC game decides the fate of UPL.

The Durians have had tremendous SS success and innovation. Specs Zekrom and Banded Buzzwole are very fun, and had incredible debut games this UPL. Looking for some good/clean games in this last series, perhaps ones where Calyrex-S is not a broken autowin.

Also in any case, never did I expect LBN to be here in a UPL finals. Then again, my ass went 1-4. Luna's Banned now ITS COMING HOME
my team is actually cracked i'd team with all of them again in a heartbeat lets get it

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Defiant Durians (5) vs. DaReal Drizzlers (4)

SS: TonyFlygon vs. Lunala - 60-40 | i don't have any problem saying tony is the best ss ubers player of this tour. his inventions (specs zekrom, bu groudon, etc) are absolute fucking heat and his teams are always on point, but luna has also done a very good tour so it's absolutely not one sided. still think tony is the ss goat.
SS: Cam vs. Luna's Banned now - 60-40 | lbn is lowkey terrible and is only known because of his awful nickname and his tendancies to shitpost for no reason and making everyone cringe, but i guess he didnt do such a bad tour. cam isnt a ss main but he's good so cam should win this.
SS: Skysolo vs. TJ - 40-60 | tj is actually crazy good when he doesnt get swept by caly-s O_O nah seriously he's probably the ss player with the most success this upl, but while he's very solid, i don't like the fact that he only uses generic shit, but it always works fsr, so oh well. i also don't like solo's ss, but he has the possibility to win this on preview if he builds correctly and he's good at doing that
USM: GO lucario vs. Gondra - 30-70 | go lucario is kinda bad, he uses bad teams, and gondra destroyed everyone in the sm pool besides hunter (the goat...), so it should probably be an easy W for gondra
ORAS: obii vs. Thiago Nunes - ??-?? | oras
BW: watashi vs. Evuelf - 55-45 | while evuelf is the best french player and has the power of claude, he's not on a great streak this upl, and i think he just recycles rain ho every week so... flcl is good at bw, so this game will probably be tight
DPP: Chill Shadow vs. SoulWind - 45-55 | soulwind is soulwind so yeah it's hard to predict against him, but he just started recycling shit like evu so if he continues to do that cs will probably win this, idk honestly
ADV: Triangles vs. Heysup - 40-60 | heysup did better than triangles until now, and he already won against him week 6, so i'll favor heysup here
GSC: d0nut vs. M Dragon - 60-40 | d0nut is clearly the best gsc player this upl with conflict, and m dragon uses questionable teams, so d0nut is probably just gonna keep winning
BO3: Garay oak vs. Fardin - 65-35 | i love fardin, but at this point i don't think you can even predict against garay anymore, he just seems to always win, idk what to say lol. fardin still obviously has a chance because he's crazy good at building, so if he can get a win in ss with his teambuild skills, it will be in god's hands in garbage oras, because he will most likely lose sm imo

well i did promise an appearance if drizzlers made finals... hello everyone, im alive and well.

i've heard many things through the grapevine during retirement and it seems things have been pretty busy around here - ss looks very different to when i left and im proud to see that it happened with such a large backing of the community. at first i was a little worried how things would go but it seems i had nothing to fear.

hope everyone is taking care of themselves. it sounds easy to say from my retired position, but do remember to find the fun and joy in what you do here.

as for the drizzlers, wow. you guys are killing it and seeing my old team do this well makes me pretty happy. keep at it. i'll always be cheering for you and for the success of ubers... they say you never truly leave after all. bring it home!

Defiant Durians (2) vs. DaReal Drizzlers (3)
(UNBIASED PREDICTS , NO HATE , NO LOVE.)
Predictions based on performance in UPL Semifinals for most of part.I only know about SS and USUM.

lunala faced a team which was weak to yveltal + caly s core after opposing yveltal gets tricked and and own yveltal gain momentum by u turning on it hence not allowing to freely come in after rocks are up , since opposing team did not have any yveltal switch besides own yveltal , it becomes very hard for opponent to comeback and lunala used that info to her use very impressively.
In Tony's game he was using a Ogre + Vish core to pressure eternatus and his opponent did not have any ogre switch in + on top of that , nothing fast to even revenge kill and just groudon + necrozma as strong mons who gets stopped by Tony's Zarude and he used this info to his use very well and won the game.
Both lunala and tony seems to know what they're doing in game and what are mons in their team which can help vs opposing team so this game is going to be close and going to depend on what type of team they bring so if we look at team support for ss , i think lunala can win this.

I cant see Cam playing any other game besides bouff and aber so dont know much but luna last week game was RNG'ed a lot on both sides ( him burning nora mons and nora crits blissey ) so i cant imagine whos actual winner without these things.
Cam reused garay's team ( i guess ) and piloted it good also ! while Luna used a team which was kinda defensive with one or two offensive mons which i think he didnt utilised well enough to pressure opponent team.(refering to those offensive mons)
From all these factors ( which are just my opinion and cud be wrong) , i'll go with cam here.

TJ last Semis match did not impressed me much because icemaster brought kind of a defensive team with no proper breaking mons ( i could be wrong about saying this and maybe it wasnt ) and TJ capitalize on that pretty well. Skysolo semis game was really really close and solo could have lost them too ( they were 50/50) but ray saved the game but against TJ i dont think he'll let himself put in a situation where he get sweep by one last mon so i think TJ will win this.

GO lucario used garay's team and unlike cam ( who piloted it very good ) , GO luc was unable to do that and didnt used team to full potential or atleast close to full.
About Gondra semis game , his opponent did not used resources very well and hence made it very tough to not just win but to hold the game and gondra did not choke and use this opportunity in his favor and took the win.
I think from these factors its a win for Gondra but if GO lucario test the team hes going to use in finals a lot ( not on ladder though ) , he can win.

SS game can be fun to watch here since both are good at it
USUM can be hella one sided on garay's side.
ORAS is something i dont know about at all. I havent seen garay playing oras either.
So if garay fails to defeat fardin in ss and usum ( 2-0) than Fardin can win this game as ORAS might be crucial for garay. ( I dont really know how good they play oras. )

Last edited:

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Shoutout to MMII and all my other fans that so desperately needed the return of my predictions so here they are...

Defiant Durians (5) vs. DaReal Drizzlers (5)

SS: TonyFlygon vs. Lunala - I was very very close to predicting for Lunala here because I think she has been nothing short of exceptional during this tour but I think Tony's prep is the best out of all the SS players, he has great ideas and he can translate them perfectly into winning teams so I expect him to roll up with something that Lunala just doesn't have an answer for and ultimately take this one. Big highlight match though~

SS: Cam vs. Luna's Banned now - Despite Cam's 3-1 record (3-0 if you only count games he didn't come up against yours truly and the demon no recovery MCoat fairyceus), I actually have a feeling that LBN will silence all the "haters" and win when it matters most. He's not bad and for god knows what reason I have a weird feeling he takes this one

SS: Skysolo vs. TJ - As much as I love Solo, he has yet to really show up to this tour in terms of SS, his games in this tour have been slightly underwhelming to someone who believes in him so much, and last week's win didn't exactly inspire confidence, considering he only ended up winning off of a last turn choke. On the other hand, TJ has been absolutely lights out when it comes to SS play and I think he'll just keep it going this week and send Solo back to his Durian brothers empty handed

USM: GO lucario vs. Gondra - Haven't really understood what the hype around GoL is about, hasn't really impressed much at all in SM and is now at a below average 3-4 record. Meanwhile, Gondra has been taking UPL USM by storm and stacked up impressive performances week in and week out. Garay + byron USM prep is not something you can ignore but I think Gondra is just the better player and should not have much troubles with the ladder hero

ORAS: obii vs. Thiago Nunes - As much as I believe in Thiago Nunes, obii did hand me my only loss and has probably the best ORAS support in the whole tour in Garay Oak + Gunner Rohan, so I'll lean towards him on this one even though Thiago has all the tools to pull off the mini upset

BW: watashi vs. Evuelf - Ah yes, the battle of the 2019 BWandits :blobuwu: Neither have had a particularly great UPL so far but I think Evuelf's confidence is a bit wounded at the moment and he hasn't seemed like himself when he has played (might be the lack of BW support on the Drizzlers or maybe he just doesn't hate Staxi enough). I truly hope he bounces back and I'm absolutely rooting for him here but I think watashi takes it at first glance

DPP: Chill Shadow vs. SoulWind - Soulwind is absolutely capable of winning this and should theoretically do so but he's just been lazy and hasn't switched up his DPP teams at all for the past like 4-5 weeks. Chill Shadow is blessed by the Pokemon gods and always finds a way to get lucky + I think he'll have a positive matchup here due to SW's tendencies so he's the easy pick here. Hopefully Soulwind proves me wrong and switches it up, in which case I could absolutely see him winning this

ADV: Triangles vs. Heysup - Triangles hasn't been impressive at all and I'm a massive fan of Heysup's ADV: he blends creativity in teambuilding with excellent execution and roughly 2700 weekly test games (I have to play about 600 of those). As long as he doesn't go too far with his heat he shouldn't have problems winning this one, making the Englishman fall just short like they did in other recent tournaments

GSC: d0nut vs. M Dragon - Even though d0nut has had a great UPL (5-2 overall and 5-0 vs every team other than the Bandits) and M Dragon hasn't really lived up to the pricetag, the former is coming off a bad loss while the latter won last week when it mattered most to clinch finals for his team and I think he does it again. M Dragon is on the rise while the pixie dust is starting to wear off of d0nut and the spaniard will take full advantage and do his part in potentially winning his 5th straight UPL title

BO3: Garay oak vs. Fardin - Not much to say here honestly, Fardin is very good but I will never predict against Garay Oak in Bo3: most complete Ubers player participating in the tour and he should take this one as long as he prepares properly and isn't massively weak to stall

Tiebreak:

ADV (Drizzlers pick 1st): Chill Shadow vs Heysup
Bo3 (Durians pick 2nd): Garay Oak vs SoulWind
SS: TonyFlygon vs TJ - decides UPL since Tony always schedules to play last so it'll be 1-1 by that point, and I have no idea who wins this

I hope all of you enjoy this final week and may the best team win!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)