Underrated but effective sets in the BW2 overused metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do NOT OHKO Jirachi with no investment. You need at least 200 Atk EVs (neutral nature) to have a better than even chance to OHKO 4/0 Jirachi after a Dragon Dance.
Indeed you are correct. I meant to type 2HKO.

+1 0- Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 231-273 (57.17 - 67.57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The main benefit, however, is beating Genesect and Terrakion. This set is really meant as a late-game cleaner anyway.

To my knowledge, Scarf Mew can't use Transform or it has to immediately switch out, since it would be locked into Transform.
You can pick moves after you transform so you are not forced out and you get the speed boost from the scarf. So i can see that mew set working

Actually I've used scarf transform Mew on my team before with a set of Transform/Trick/Ice Beam/Psychic and it has such incredible utility to fit into a lot of teams. It works as an incredible revenge killer, can cripple walls with trick, and can use transform to steal from set up sweepers for your own countersweep. It's also probably one of the most fun pokes you can use that's also pretty effective!

Blissey (F) @Leftovers
252 SpDef / 120 HP / 136 SpA
Trait: Serene Grace
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Charge Beam
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled

Blissey sweeper right there.

Blissey (F) @Leftovers
252 SpDef / 120 HP / 136 SpA
Trait: Serene Grace
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Charge Beam
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled

Blissey sweeper right there.
I once met a "last pokemon sweep" blissey very similar to this - it had Defense Curl and Rest instead of Softboiled and Aromatherapy.

Caught me completely off guard.

I run a Timid Hydreigon set with Max Sp.Atk and Speed EVs, and it has Charge Beam, Dragon Pulse, Flamethrower, and Earth Power. Is that weird, or any good?

I run a Timid Hydreigon set with Max Sp.Atk and Speed EVs, and it has Charge Beam, Dragon Pulse, Flamethrower, and Earth Power. Is that weird, or any good?
It could possibly clean late game, but I can't see it doing much outside of that. Its awkward base speed stat means that it's revenge killed by a host of things and what's the use in boosting your SpA if you're not quick enough to use it? Maybe Sub+CB/DP/EP could work, giving you a chance to hit faster threats before they can outright OHKO you. Even then, CB is weak and it's side effect is pretty unreliable. If you want to boost, a mixed Work Up set would probably...ahem, work better.

If you want to boost, a mixed Work Up set would probably...ahem, work better.
YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

If we're talking mixed Work Up, what about a Sub set with Work Up/Dragon Pulse/Superpower? None of the Pokémon that can take a Dragon Pulse want to take a boosted Superpower (Jirachi, blobs, Tyranitar). If you've cleared out their special walls already, you could just go straight for the Dragon Pulse sweep, there's not a lot that can take Hydreigon's STAB in the first place.

EDIT: Okay, just ran some calcs, and my initial thought of 4 Atk / 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe would NOT work because Jirachi and Chansey don't give a fuck about uninvested Superpowers, even after you boost. I gotta go to work, but if anyone would run some EV calcs for this (how much to get a guaranteed 2HKO or something with Superpower on Chansey and Jirachi) you'd be super awesome.

Ran some calcs for you on Hydreigon,

64 att Hasty Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252/252/ Bold Blissey 72.83-85.71%
Guaranteed 2HKO after rocks.

64 att Hasty Hydreigon Superpower vs 252/0 Careful Jirachi does a max of 41.83 even with rocks.

BUT if you put FireBlast on the set, you can cleanly 2HKO Blissey and 252/252 max Spec Def Jirachi , though SpecDef Jirachis have EVs all over the place, I made it simple.

So with rock support, you can run

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Hasty
EVs: 64 att/188 SpA/252 Sp
Moveset:
-Work-Up
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor

Without Sub you need leftovers for recovery, which I calculated in anyways. This is to catch people off guard. If you predict switches even half ecently, this set is really cool.

So I have been working on a set recently inspired by choice scarf deoxys s. Taking a super fast pokemon and making them faster is certainly an interesting idea when the metagame is concentrated on hyper offense. So I started using agility Tornadus-T.

Tornadus-T @ life orb
modest
EVs: 4hp/252spatk/252spe
Moveset:
-air slash
-hidden power (fighting)/focusblast
-hurricane
-agility

This set in my admittedly short experience using it is phenomenal. After agility you beat every chlorophyll sweeper in the sun with just airslash, airslash get the OHKO on standard venusaur without hazards. Hidden power fighting does 80 -95% to mamoswine on the switch and CB scizor is OHKO'd by hurricane. hidden power fighting does 45-54% to specially defensive t-tar in a sand storm and does at least 95% to 252hp/0def/spdef t-tar. Standard Ferrothorn is taking 48 -57% from hurricane and 65 - 77 % from focus blast. Genesect can't catch you after an agility even with rock polish and you do 97% with hurricane. Focus blast can be used for more immediate power but because this torn-t is a late game sweeper you want to limit missing as much as possible. rocks and 1 layer of spikes guarantees the 2HKO on spdef T-tar with hp fighting so hazard support is very much appreciated. Because you are so freaking fast some speed EVs could be moved to hp for better bulk, the only benchmark that really needs to be beat is rock polish terrakion which isn't too hard. Thundurus-T is a problem and while you can run cell battery to absorb it's thunder and beat it 1 v 1 with rocks up losing life orb is too much power down the drain. This thing is a monster though and it can beat almost all powerful priority on the switch and gives you a powerful sand rush/ chlorophyll counter.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hmm, Tornadus-T already carries high speed, and it doesn't actually have amazing power to abuse it really. I would put agility on Torn-I if you wanted to run any agility set since it's stronger and could benefit from the speed boost more. Also, Air Slash is redundant alongside Hurricane unless it is outside of rain, in which case you're doing it wrong. It gets grass knot so use that over Air Slash for Gastros, and HP Ice has more offensive use, use something like Terrakion instead of FB since hurricane hits most steels and its usually on there for TTar.

GL with the set

The main reason I ran air slash is because alongside agility it lets me beat chloro sweepers, venusaur in particular 1 v 1. If sun is up Torn-T can outspeed at +2 and OHKO with air slash. The main reason I started running it was because 1. I need a check to +2 speed boosters and 2. I am crap at winning weather wars and this set lets me beat the most prominent sun threats outside of rain.

Ran some calcs for you on Hydreigon,

64 att Hasty Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252/252/ Bold Blissey 72.83-85.71%
Guaranteed 2HKO after rocks.

64 att Hasty Hydreigon Superpower vs 252/0 Careful Jirachi does a max of 41.83 even with rocks.

BUT if you put FireBlast on the set, you can cleanly 2HKO Blissey and 252/252 max Spec Def Jirachi , though SpecDef Jirachis have EVs all over the place, I made it simple.

So with rock support, you can run

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Hasty
EVs: 64 att/188 SpA/252 Sp
Moveset:
-Work-Up
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor

Without Sub you need leftovers for recovery, which I calculated in anyways. This is to catch people off guard. If you predict switches even half ecently, this set is really cool.
I'm kinda questioning the necessity of running max speed. You're just outsped by Genesect, and no Haxorus runs Jolly. You could change the nature and maybe even some speed EVs and get more power.

Heatwave has imperfect accuracy and air slash KOs everything it needs to KO outside of rain when hurricane isn't an option. Running heatwave is really just an unnecessary 10% risk I'll miss and end up KO'd or crippled.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
heat wave hurt ferrothorn, and opposing steel types like bronzong. that 10% is not that bad as Focus Blast, which you're using, or the (lol) SUPER WEAK hp fighting.

Also, Torn-T too weak to abuse agility, try it on Torn-I

lead raichu
ability: lightning rod/ static
@focus sash/lum berry
nature: timid
EVs: 4hp 252sp.atk 252speed
moveset:
thunderwave
encore
thunderbolt
focusblast/hp-ice

the set works like a charm. use thunderwave to paralyze a foe that you know that wont attack then encore so it locked in that move of they used like stealthrock, toxic, protect etc.. then use t-wave again to paralyze their switch-in. lightning rod helps you stay alive longer while static paralyze ground types or other foes that have l.rod or voltabsorb.
So I feel like a fool. Raikou doesn't learn Encore. :(

I'm kinda questioning the necessity of running max speed. You're just outsped by Genesect, and no Haxorus runs Jolly. You could change the nature and maybe even some speed EVs and get more power.
Thats true, its was just for simplicity's sake Since Sub isnt too viable in order to beat alot of threats, id just use the lefties like i used in calcs, and invest what speed I dont need in HP

Okay, I've been using this Tornadus-I set on my rain team:

Tornadus-I @ Flying Gem
Modest | 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Trait: Prankster

Tailwind
Hurricane
U-Turn
Taunt

The main point of this set is Prankster Tailwind, which lets me revenge kill a lot of speed boosting things. For example, if I somehow let a Dragonite get two DD's, Tornadus can get off a guaranteed priority tailwind so my scarfer can revenge kill. The rest of the moves are basically filler. Hurricane + Flying Gem lets me seriously dent something if I need to, Prankster Taunt takes out a lot of walls, and U-Turn does some damage while switching out of something. Any thoughts?

Here's a set I've been using since very long time ago (Or, to be more exact, since Prankster Sableye was released)

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
248 HP | 252 Def | 8 Spd
0 Attack IVs
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

(I use 8 Speed EVs instead of 4 for Speed Creep - Setting up a Sub before another Sableye Taunts/WoWs is important)

This Sableye demonstrates that changing a single move can turn Sableye from a stallbreaker to a general-purpose annoyance to physical-attacking pokémon (And a sizable number of physically frail special attackers)

While Substitute does not stop pokémon from setting up, something Taunt does, it has some advantages over it: First - it allows Sableye not getting statused with a move that is NOT affected by Magic Coat/Magic Bounce; Second - it gives Sableye free Foul Play turns if its Substitute isn't broken in the same turn; Third - at early game, Sableye becomes a reliable scout for Choice users thanks to Substitute, as it won't lose more than 25% health while scouting moves (Particularly useful against Outrage users), something Taunt Sableye completely fails to do (Substitute, when combined with residual damage, even allows Sableye to KO weakened Life Orb users)

The other three moves are still the same as Taunt Sableye

This Sableye is particularly weak to Volt-Turn teams, as they don't allow it to keep its Substitute up. Everything else, bar multi-hit users and physically bulky special attackers (Such as CM Reuniclus, that has absolutely no problems with this Sableye, unlike its matchup with Taunt Sableye), will end up hating Sableye if they let it set up a Substitute

Dragonite

@Dragon Gem
Multiscale
252Att 252Spa 4Spe
Quiet Nature
~Draco Meteor
~Extreme Speed
~Thunder Wave
~Superpower

This is an ungodly lead. Dragon Gem is so you dont break your own Multiscale and it is suprisingly effective for people who are good at predicting. Thunderwave cripples alot of things and most ground types can be OHKO'd by Draco Meteor. Extremespeed is always useful in the lead position and Superpower rounds out the perfect coverage.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Wouldn't an offensive Dragonite like that prefer another coverage move, like Fire Blast? While Thunder Wave spam is very good in this metagame, Dragonite usually likes all the offensive power and coverage he can get. He also loses a lot of his wallbreaking power when Steels like Skamory/Bronzong/Jirachi can come in and tank pretty much everything he has and wall with impunity. Also a lot of the offensive threats he is going to be Thunder Waveing can most likely be OHKO'd by the appropriate coverage move spammin Draco Meteor also works. But anyways just my thoughts on the set. Wallbreaker Dragonite is incredibly potent atm.

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SAtk / 184 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Thunder / Bug Buzz

This is a pretty cool Genesect set that I've been toying with on rain teams. Although it's essentially just the standard EBelt set with HP [Water] slapped on, it can do things the original could only dream of - namely break apart most its standard checks, e.g. Heatran, Terrakion, Volcarona, Chandelure, etc - with only one "stone". What makes it work is the surprise value - when was the last time you expected Genesect to have a Water attack? In BW2, any surprise KO on the opponent can shift the momentum in your favour greatly.

In case you're wondering, Expert Belt HP [Water] is better than Douse Drive Techno Burst. Whilst it has 1 less BP when it hits SE (70*1.2=84), it also grants benefits to the other moves, whereas Douse Drive solely benefits Techno Burst.

U-turn and Ice Beam are obligatory. The final moveslot depends on what you're more interested in hitting harder - bulky Waters (especially Jellicent/Gyarados) or bulky things that resist Water/Electric such as Ferrothorn/Kyurem-B etc. Bug Buzz also allows you to 2HKO most Jirachi when you have an +1 boost in SAtk.

Although I haven't slashed it on this particular set, I think an EB set with U-turn/Thunder(bolt)/Ice Beam/Flash Cannon also might be viable in this metagame - especially considering Kyurem-B is quite popular at the moment due to being newly sent into the OU metagame. It also hits Terrakion very hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)