Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem as if CB DARM has Flare Blitzed its way through this week and won, congratulations to vivalospride!

This week we've got Snorlax on the slate. While Snorlax has mostly gone under the radar in recent times, it's Curse + Recycle set can prove a deadly threat with Snorlax's massive bulk in combination with the pseudo-instant recover that an Iapapa Berry can provide. It's classic mono attacking Curse sets have also seen a small, albeit impressive resurgence, as status spreading moves such as Toxic and Will-o-Wisp are more prevalent than ever. Unfortunately, Snorlax also faces a lot more pressure in SM UU, as its stallbreaking powers are essentially null with staples such as Quagsire and Mega Steelix blocking its path to victory. In addition, newcomers to UU such as Togekiss, Latias, and Primarina all have somewhat flipped Snorlax's conventional Specially Defensive capabilities on its head with raw power. With a dwindling amount of threats in the UU metagame that Snorlax can truly take advantage of, it has far, far less of a stranglehold on the tier as it did in the days of BW and ORAS. Regardless, it can still prove to be a great pick for teams needing a bulky sweeper or a solid special sponge, so get to building! Due Saturday as per usual.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 Def / 148 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Pursuit

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Hyper Voice

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Bullet Seed

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 84 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Swampert @ Icium Z
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 132 Def
Impish Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Counter

Description:
I'm sure a lot of you have seen me use this team (or losing with previous variants, as there were many) on the ladder and I think this is about as good as it'll get for Snorlax in UU. At first I tried to build around the CurseLax set mentioned earlier aaaand.....yeah its not great. The current metagame just isn't kind to that Lax at all, with the likes of Breloom, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Cobalion all running around to ruin its day. Most of the time it just ended up getting a few hits off on specially based Pokemon before dying and rarely got set up effectively even with team support (then again I'm not a great builder so I'm sure someone more creative could make it work). So instead I played to Snorlax's strengths as a team supporter itself by making it Assault Vest and taking advantage of the abundance of status in the tier and it's good offensive movepool.
AV Snorlax does an excellent job at trapping or otherwise handling the most common checks to SD Scizor and/or SD Breloom, the duo the team was built around. These include but are not limited to threats like Latias, Celebi, Starmie, Gengar, Chandelure, Tentacruel, and Empoleon. And because I'm running an unexpected amount of coverage in both EQ and Fire Punch, this Snorlax has the immediate power to punish its prior checks upon switch in (Breloom, Doublade, Cobalion, Scizor, etc.), taking some heat off of the team's main physical tank Swampert. In return, the two SD mons beat down the physical walls that shut Snorlax down such as Slowbro, Hippo, and opposing Swampert.
The Swampert set is the Icium Z lure set from the creative sets thread with a bit more attack to OHKO Serperior with rocks up. It also utilizes Counter to punish pesky U-turn Pokemon like Scizor and Darmanitan, and in general lets it be less passive against the tier's powerful physical attackers that could dent Snorlax.
The Snorlax spread itself lets it survive +1 Z Focus Blast from CM Cobalion and easily put it in Psychic or Mach Punch range with EQ. 44 EVs are put into Speed to outspeed Doublade, and the rest gets put into Defense since its HP is already great as is. Scizor runs enough speed for 4 Spe Suicune and the leftover EVs go to Special Defense to always survive +2 HP Fire from NP Celebi, a mon Snorlax actually kinda struggles with due to it's bulk and how much it recovers with Giga Drain. The rest is pretty self explanatory.
You usually open with Swampert or Altaria to threaten the most common Rocks setters, play the hazard game a bit there, then start playing one of your SD users early to punch holes into the team, utilizing AV Snorlax as necessary, then clean with Latias or the other SD user.
Feel free to put Defog on Altaria instead over Ice Beam to ease the hazard game, I just found that being able to bop Togekiss was too good since thats another Pokemon the entire team struggles with especially if its the Babiri variant. I also just never found myself using Trick or Healing Wish on Latias all that much.

Last edited:

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 188 HP / 128 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Frustration

Infernape @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Vacuum Wave

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Mow @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

People more or less know how effective Snorlax + Mega Altaria is, so not much to say there as far as the mons go. I opted for the regular CurseLax, since I find it more consistently useful in more matchups due to it not being reliant on keeping its item. EVs on Snorlax are enough to take +2 Devastating Drake from Latias and not get 2HKOed by Specs Primarina's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. I didn't like dropping either Ice Beam on Fire Blast since 3 attacks Mega Altaria is really nice in this meta. I wanted a solid Scizor answer so opted with fat Infernape; I could just run Scarf but realistically Scarf Infernape is not a good Scizor answer. The EVs on Infernape are enough to outspeed Heracross. Vacuum Wave is kinda just there because why not, but you can really substitute it for anything you want. It's come into handy for things like weakened Krook, though. Bronzong more or less covered things very well as far as defensive synergy goes, taking on threats like Nidoking, opposing Mega Altaria, etc. Heal Block is an option over Protect if you're really worried about certain things, but Protect lets it really wear down stuff like Scarf Krook that tries to Pursuit trap it and scout against foes in general. I needed a better Ground immunity than Bronzong, something to pivot in and pressure Water-types, as well as hazard removal (since I didn't want to slap Defog on Altaria unless necessary), I went with Rotom-Mow. Swords Dance Gliscor was looking annoying, so I went with Hidden Power Ice over something like Thunderbolt. The Nidoking set is a little off, but I did need Speed control to revenge kill threats like Cobalion and to ease the Manectric matchup if I'm able to catch it off guard. Sleep Talk is there because I didn't see myself needing other moves that much and doesn't hurt to have another countermeasure for Breloom. I used this team in UUPL week 4 against blunder for anyone that's interested in seeing it used (I had mach punch over vacuum wave on infernape for some reason).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-373836

For the record, I also have another version that did have Scarf Infernape + Sub LO Nidoking, but this means you'd have to run Recycle Snorlax with Fire Punch to have a better insurance against Scizor. Both sets work just fine.

Last edited:
1526083284185.png
1526083233514.png
1526083211523.png
1526083059780.png
1526083105718.png
1526083130973.png

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Facade
- Recycle
- Earthquake

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Roar

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roar

Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

So naturally, I wanted to start with Snorlax, cause y'know, Snorlax week. I made it the curse recycle set that I've found to be pretty fun when building Curselax, and I also I wanted to be EQ to reliably check Gengar. I had return but Juuno noted that facade would help with the suicune weakness the team originally had. As for teammates, I didn't want to use Mega Altaria because we already know how good Curselax is with a Mega Altaria partner. I tried to find other dependable teammates. I decided that I wanted to build with Hippowdon and Empoleon, as I didn't like Rhyperior in previous renditions of this team but still wanted to check flyings and electrics, so I split Rhyperior's role in two. And Empoleon + Hippo checks a lot more together than Rhyp does on its own. Empoleon is shuca so I actually have a genuine Haxorus switchin, or can handle an SD Gliscor in an emergency. It can even handle some Nidoking variants that happen to bust Lax like taunt or superpower. While Empoleon can check only one of the above once with shuca, the ability to check any of the following mons is more than worth it. Next, I wanted to handle Breloom, and I wanted speed control. Might as well kill two Mushrooms with one stone and run sleep talk scarf Latias. With ice beam to further buffer the Gliscor matchup. Sylveon is very effective on this team, as it passes wishes to maintain Latias and Empoleon who are very bulky, maintaining my stallbreaker against passive teams, as well as completing one of them steel/dragon/fairy core that the kids like these days. Lax also appreciates its heal bell support. Speaking of my stallbreaker, I chose Chandy because I wanted a Scizor check, and I wanted a stallbreaker. Flame body is on this Chandelure to help it as a Scizor check as lefties makes it less susceptible to chip and overall more reliable, another suggestion from Juuno.
Shoutouts to Juuno for the suggestions!

Eyan is extremely handsome so he wins this week with ease lmao

Next week is Crobat! Not much to say about it except it manages to be a breloom check without being completely destroyed by Pursuit, so it can be a pretty nice addition to a variety of teams. Its speed combined with its somewhat strong Flying STAB, unique dual typing, and above average set of utility moves can make it a pain to deal with against teams lacking strong Flying checks like Mega Manectric and Aerodactyl. Get to posting, voting will go up Saturday as per usual.

blastoise-mega.gif
crobat.gif
doublade.gif
hydreigon.gif
rhyperior.gif
sylveon.gif

So Mengy wanted me to build Blastoise + Doublade + Wish. Originally, I had Umbreon > Sylveon and Sleep Talk Latias > Hydreigon, but it was very weak to Primarina, so I made it into the version you see today. The core is pretty self-explanatory: Doublade and Sylveon have good type synergy, Blastoise spins and (sorta) takes care of Ghosts. I wanted Rocks, a bird check, and an Eletctric immunity, so I used our lord and savior Rhyperior. I wanted speed control since I looked rather slow, so I added Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Lastly, I wanted a stallbreaker and another Fairy resist. Shoutout to Sage for giving me the cool set. Hope you enjoy!

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Super Fang
- Roost

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 20 Def / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Last edited:

Felixx

I'm back.

I built this team around the VoltTurn core of M-Manectric and Crobat. M-Mane is running Toxic over Tbolt because it's a good lure for things like Pert, Hippo, and Rhyp that think they can switch in for free, I don't end up clicking Tbolt that much anyways, and it relieves pressure from Tsareena. I added a Rhyperior to the team as a Stealth Rocker and also to deal with Moltres and M-Pidgey that can take advantage of Tsareena and Klefki. Speaking of those two, CB Tsareena provides offensive pressure for the team, a Spore switch-in, and hazard control in Rapid Spin, while Klefki provides a Latias and Hydreigon switch-in, while also taking advantage of utilizing Spin over Defog by stacking Spikes and crippling threats with Twave. Finally, CM Z-Thunder Latias rounds out the team by being able to heavily damage Steel-types like M-Aggron, Empo, and Klefki, supporting Crobat even further. PS Hippo can be used over Rhyp to improve the Krookodile, Scizor, and Aqua Tail M-Aero match-up, but Molt, M-Pidgey, and Glis all become more annoying to deal with.

Manectric-Mega (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Crobat (M) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Tsareena @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

Latias @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)