Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Roost
- Defog
- Ice Beam

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- U-turn​

I decided to build around Choice Specs Volcanion due to its sheer breaking power and strong STAB and coverage moves. It benefits from having entry hazards present on the field, so I decided to add Stealth Rock Empoleon to reliably set them up especially against some defensive Defoggers due to its typing and access to Scald and Toxic, and it also helps in the Moltres matchup with Protect + Toxic to stall out Fire Blasts. The Stealth Rock weakness and Breloom matchups were a problem, so I added Defog Mega Altaria to provide removal, and I used Ice Beam to help the team beat Gliscor, which can be problematic. Breloom provides a strong setup Pokemon that can act as both a breaker and a cleaner with Mach Punch, and it can pressure defensive teams with its STAB moves and Spore. Mach Punch also provided some speed control. Aside from one priority move, the team was looking slow, so I added Choice Scarf Krookodile to help revenge kill faster Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Pidgeot and also provide utility with Knock Off and particularly Pursuit so Latias and Gengar don’t become too much of a problem. Crobat provides a much-needed Ground immunity after Altaria has Mega Evolved, and Infiltrator helps in the Serperior matchup a lot. Flyinium Z + Taunt and U-turn utility helps power through bulkier Pokemon too.​

Death Whilst Standing

Hello guys, this is my first uu team in a while in one of my favorite tiers. My english ins't that good so i'm not going to give you long descriptions. Volcanion is a good wallbreaker if you run 3 special + ZSpower to baitkill things like Blissey, Empoleon, ecc... that can block in a easly way (especially the first) canion. In this team i'm running the SolarHerb set because i wanted to weaken or kill in a easy way pokèmons like Swampert, Seismitoad, Alomola, MegaSlo ... so i can sweep in a easy way with AgilyMetagros. Meta is a really cool cleaner, his coverage breaks a ton of mons in the tier after all the bulkywaters are eliminated.
I added Gliscor and Latias to give me more chance to beat stall and to beat setupsweepers that can be dangerous like Kommo-shit ecc...
Mega altaria is the second cleaner and check of dragons. Swampert is a good defensive pivot, set rocks and helps vs mega aerodactyl giving me a good electric immunity too.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
1527217189781.png
1527217170041.png
1527217144440.png
1527217216168.png
1527217260632.png
1527217269458.png
http://pokepast.es/8005e67f8fe043e0

Building Process
In my opinion, Volcanion's most effective set by far is Choice Specs and that is what I opted to go with when putting together this team. I knew right away that I wanted some sort of Pursuit, as Volcanion's #1 answer is the ever-present Latias, and it's simply a great tool to have in general. Krookodile was the Pursuit user that immediately jumped out to me since it also offered a Ground-type, speed control, and a soft Mega Aero answer right off the bat. Defog Rotom-C was my next choice. It provided the hazard control necessary to pull off a successful Volcanion team, as well as providing a sturdier answer to bulky Water-types like Suicune, Swampert, and Seismitoad that may give my first 2 mons trouble. Rotom-C can also get Volcanion and Krookodile in favorable positions against Grass-types and Latias respectively. At this point I liked what I had but hated my matchup against a number of threats. Bulky Ice Beam Mega Altaria is one of my favorite glue mons on these types of teams, as it let me deal with Hydreigon, Serperior, Gliscor, Breloom, Infernape, and even Latias more effectively. Next up was Nihilego. It gave me rocks, a bit more speed, and a solid special sponge which is always nice in dealing with stuff like Hydreigon if Mega Altaria has yet to mega evolve. In the last slot I added Doublade. It was pretty much the perfect fit, offering a set-up sweeper and extra insurance against huge threats like Mega Aerodactyl, DD Mega Altaria, Cobalion, Latias, Scizor, and Breloom.

Random Details
I opted for Stone Edge as the last slot on Krookodile since I felt like Mega Aerodactyl insurance was more important than for Hydreigon or Scizor. As for Rotom-C, Nihilego really wants the Z move and Rotom is just fine without it, so I just went Meadow Plate which allows me to still bluff Z if needed and do even more respectable damage with its most powerful attack. I made Mega Altaria super bulky since it really helps with many of the threats mentioned above, maximizing Altaria's effectiveness as the team's defensive glue. Electrium Z rocks is Nihilego's best set and it's generally what I default to when using it. However, deciding on the 3rd attack is always kinda tough. Grass Knot and HP Ice are both feasible on this team but I have Volcanion + Rotom-C for bulky Ground-types, as well as Ice Beam bulky Altari + Gyro Ball Doublade for Gliscor. If both make sense but neither is needed, I usually just go with the extra Gliscor coverage so I did just that here. Gyro Ball is generally the best option on Doublade so I went with it on this team.

1527286299134.png
1527286323438.png
1527286375105.png
1527286416098.png
1527286464751.png
1527286484929.png

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Avalanche

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Recover

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Tsareena @ Rose Incense
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis
- U-turn

I started with Volcanion. And since I do rather dislike stalls, I went with focus blast/sludge wave. As focus blast can 2hko Blissey with modest specs and sludge wave deals with Mega Altaria, who otherwise resists my Volcanion's other 3 moves. Focus Blast also lets me nab Hydra, a mon I don't like letting in for free. I DO however, like luring in Scizor on teams with Volcanion. And I like giving Volcanion recovery where it lacks it. So all in all, Sylveon was a fantastic choice. I wanted to be more assured against Dragons Sylveon couldn't handle, as well as ease the Gliscor matchup and further help with the Scizor matchup as well as have a rocker, so I went with Aggron-Mega. Next up is Latias, to complete Dragon/Fairy/Steel with Sylveon and Aggron, as well as act as an additional wincon with CM Dragonium, it also annoys Tentacruel, a mon my current Volcanion set isn't too prepped for. Next, I decided to go with Krook, as opposing CM Lati looked like a real issue. It also helps me soft check Aero and revenge flyings with stone edge. Lastly, I needed a spinner. And bulky waters still looked annoying for Volc, and also Breloom looked annoying, so Tsareena happened.

Pak once again proves his ALPHAness and edged out against martha by a single vote this week! Big thanks again to everyone participating for the massive resurgence of activity in this thread! I'm glad that I've been able to keep this thread going for what's going on the better part of an entire year and still seem to be going strong. :blobnom:

Anyway, without further ado, (as per request) we'll be throwing Bewear on the slate this week. It's unique typing coupled with monstrous Attack and HP make it a powerful wallbreaker that can bust open unprepared teams with ease. It's Ability, Fluffy, also halves the power of all contact moves at the slight drawback of being weak to Fire-type moves, turning Bewear into an incredibly bulky physical tank and allowing it to laugh at the pitiful damage of Scizor's dreaded Bullet Punch and Mega Aero's Wing Attack. While powerful, it's held back by its disappointing Speed and weak Special Defense, as well as a somewhat limited pool of effective coverage outside of its STAB combination, most notably a lack of Knock Off.

Get your teams in by Saturday! Voting will go up earlier than normal (probably) because I don't have work (xD)

hello

1527608776413.png1527608693398.png1527608709481.png1527608799288.png1527608809542.png
1527608818630.png

so i started with bewear. a good core i got from my good friend wuhoodude is mega altaria + bewear. bewear pressures steels and some fairies like sylveon that mega altaria hates, while mega altaria checks dangerous fire-types, fighting-types, and some dragons that bewear hates like hydreigon and latias. immediately i wanted a good check to opposing mega altaria and a fairy resist, so i decided on bronzong. it also provides rocks and a togekiss check. rotom-heat gives defog (isn't really necessary but hazard support is nice for suicune), another scizor check alongside bewear, and functions as a sort of lure with hp grass to catch things like rhyperior and swampert. i wanted speed control, a ground type, and another non-pursuitable mega aerodactyl check. krookodile fit perfectly and also provides pursuit support for things like gengar and chandelure. lastly, i wanted a semi-scizor check as well as another wincon. a breloom lure would also fit nicely, so i added ice beam cm suicune. so many teams rely on breloom to check it, only to be KOed by ice beam and swept.

a big thank you to Sage for helping me out!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)