Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Right, and with the tiebreaker vote, Adaam wins the round! I quite enjoy Adaam's team, as it actually caters to bee's strengths and covers its weaknesses quite nicely thanks to the team composition, and I'm a sucker for a good terrakion team.

Adaam - 4
Juuno - 3
Sabbio - 2

--------------------------------------------------------------

Our next week is going to be on the rare but interesting Mega Blastoise! This Pokemon may have fallen from grace (and in usage) a long while ago, but since the removal of Azumarill from the tier, it has had slightly more of a niche as a strong and bulky Water-type wallbreaker. It may inhale the Mega slot, but it can bring its ability to soft check many of the tier's top Pokemon such as Scizor and Gliscor with it to support the team.

Get your teams in by this Saturday!

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Pain Split

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes
So I built this team like a week or two ago with my pal Sage and we started with Tflame + a spinner. The spinner was originally Starmie but after a lot of testing, I liked Blastoise more becuase it fit the Bulky Offense feel better. Obviously this core struggles heavily with Mega Manectric and electric types in general so it was decided that Scarf Krook would work well because of the electric immunity, and the ability to chip electric types w/ Pursuit so that Tflame could nuke it late game owo. Nihilego was added as our rocker of choice because we didn't need an elec immune rocker because of Krook, and Nihilego gives a great stall matchup due to most of the common stall foggers being unable to fog on it and it being immune to Toxic. Breloom was added for the stall m/u and just bulky waters and bulky grounds in general, it has great type synergy with Nihilego as well due to Nihilego being able to reliably check the majority of flying types in the tier. The lati matchup is lookin rough right now and honestly Klefki was really the only option to secure a good Hydreigon and a good Lati matchup, luckily spikes looked disgusting on this team anyways because of the chip that things like mblast, breloom, nihi, and tflame all appreciate so much :].

blastoise-mega.gifdoublade.gifflorges.gifrhyperior.gifhydreigon.gifcrobat.gif

This team was built around Mega Blastoise + Doublade + Wish. I think 4 attacks without Spin is its best set, so I decided to go with that. Originally I had Sylveon over Florges, but it was a huge momentum drainer and suffered against things like Swampert and Empoleon. Rhyperior comes in as a rocker, bird resist, Manectric check, and Ground type. I was looking rather slow and wanted a floating mon and Ghost resist, so I decided on Choice Scarf Hydreigon. I removed Fire Blast for Defog because I rarely find myself clicking a Fire move anyway, and most things that Fire Blast hits are handled by Blastoise or Doublade. Lastly, I wanted a stallbreaker, secondary floating mon, and another Togekiss check in an emergency. I decided to use stallbreaker Crobat, as it provides good glue for the aforementioned things.

Other Options

Fire Blast > Defog and Rapid Spin > Ice Beam on Blastoise are valid options, as things like Mega Altaria are handled decently enough. Defog over Heal Bell and Fire Blast on Hydreigon is an option if you want to keep 4 attacks on Blastoise and be able to retain coverage against Cobalion, but I personally think Defog Florges is bad, as it can get pp drained rather easily and can't Defog on Steel-type rockers. Fire Punch over Ice Punch or Stone Edge on Rhyperior can be used for Scizor, but you either lose out on hitting Gliscor/Altaria or rely on Ice Punch for hitting birds.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I'm lazy so this'll just be a direct copy paste from the bazaar thread. Worth noting that at least a couple of people I've seen have been using this team on the suspect ladder and it's been performing well there too. I also peaked 1810 on the ladder with this before the suspect came along.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 152 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 64 Def / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

This is a fun team I made for ladder, I wanted to make smth with Mega Blastoise because it obviously sees next to no usage now and I think it still has smth to offer. I think going all out 4 attacks is it's best set, dropping any coverage can be annoying and a lot of the time when I've got stoise into the game, I want to be firing off attacks rather than spinning. Nothing on the team is hugely bothered by Stealth Rock and I have Spikes to pressure my opponent into removing hazards themselves. I didn't really come into this with any major concept alongside Blastoise other than I wanted Spikes, so there's no great building process to document here, other than just filling all of the necessary roles for a bulky offense team in this metagame: Stealth Rock, bird check, speed control, Breloom and Scizor checks, potential win conditions. The result of this is a pretty fun little bulky offense that hasn't had any hugely horrible matchups from playing with it so far.

Potential Changes

Ice Fang > Facade on Gliscor and Grass Knot > Hidden Power Ice on Nihilego. This change is something I've messed around with a little bit, the option to immediately pressure 4x grass weaks that Nihilego often comes up against can be nice, and changing Gliscor to Ice Fang helps keep the matchup against opposing Gliscor decent due to how fast this spread is at current. I'm just a bigger fan of running Facade > Ice Fang on Gliscor where possible, as I think it makes it much more threatening.

Magnet Rise can be run on Klefki and you can run alternative Water STABs on Blastoise if you're not keen on Hydro accuracy, these are mostly personal preference.

Last edited:
Damn, this one is tough. Both Juuno's and Freeroamer's team are very very good, with the first one being very creative to the point of being innovative for the tier.
Hmm... I'm really just conflicted, but I'll vote Juuno for the reasons I stated.

Hi everyone, because of the tie between the teams Freeroamer and Juuno posted, there needs to be a tiebreak. While I would rather not take this into my own hands, I'll be breaking the tie myself, giving the week to Freeroamer after a bit of consideration with Cake. Congrats!
I would hope to avoid doing this again, so everyone throw your votes in - don't be afraid to vote for whichever team you think is best though, the trouble it causes me is just an afterthought in the end!

Anyway, next on the board is Starmie. Much like Blastoise, Starmie is most notorious for its offensive prowess stacked on top of the ability to clear hazards with Rapid Spin. Unlike Blastoise, Starmie trades raw power for a higher Speed stat that can give it the edge over UU staples like Latias, Hydreigon, and Cobalion. Coupled with an additional Psychic typing, as well as defensive tech like Recover, Reflect Type, and its less common ability Natural Cure. Unfortunately, with this comes and unfortunate weakness to common moves like Knock Off, Pursuit, and U-turn. Team submissions end on Saturday as per usual!

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Good day, everyone! This Starmie team is somehow one of the most unorthodox among all other teams people would potentially submit here due to its unparalleled uniqueness -- some users with the likes of vivalospride have gotten inspiration from here. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to showcase: "Onomatopoeia".

The reason for this team's unparalleled uniqueness is that Starmie runs Gravity; no other Pokemon has a movepool enough to take advantage of such field effect (plus its added Z-effect of raising its Special Attack by one stage is not a shabby one either). Since Gravity grounds all flying and levitating Pokemon, literally everyone gets stuck by Sticky Web, hence Slurpuff becoming one of the most integral Pokemon in this affair. Chandelure is then added to block Rapid Spin, and Agility Tornadus is there to punish Defog users and to serve as an answer against Serperior as it is one of the Pokemon that made Sticky Web teams obsolete. With Starmie shifting its role to a Gravity sweeper, Tsareena is then included to delegate as the Rapid Spinner for the team. Finally, Krookodile provides Stealth Rock for the team, integral for Starmie and Tornadus to pull off a sweep whenever possible.

(Note: Putting Slurpuff at Level 85 with all other IVs taken away apart from its Speed and Special Attack is intentional; it is inspired from its earlier versions with Swirlix in there -- Slurpuff at that level makes its bulk on par with Swirlix's at Level 100, while at the same time outpacing Mega Aerodactyl that Swirlix fails to outrun even with Unburden activated.)

How I wish Braviary could learn Agility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)