Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1529577903536.png
1529577968304.png
1529577994886.png
1529578018285.png
1529578060259.png
1529578085966.png

Necrozma @ Groundium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Roost

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin

I wanted to remake an old team that used SD Necrozma with a couple of fast cleaners (Including Starmie) to compliment its fat matchup with an offense matchup. The original team was from Rotom-Wash format in the days of Voltturn, and was more balance-like then. But I've reworked the team to be much more offensive. For example, Rhyperior is standing in for the Seismitoad that was on that team, adding a flying resist and a much more offensive approach, as its able to pressure defoggers. Togekiss is here to stand in for the Klefki of the old team as the Dragon resist, which I'm able to do since Rhyp is now my flying answer. I went with NP babiri berry to help me check steels like Megaggron and Scizor while also bolstering my matchup vs fatter teambuilds. Beyond this, its also a solid mach punch resist and a draco soaker. Next up is Serp, which is a subseed set to lure A-muk so my Starmie handles it better later in the game. It also gives me a solid speedy mon to handle offensive squads with while further fortifying my matchups vs fat squads in the same blow, Scizor is up next, I needed a Lati check, and an Aero check that didn't care if it was running Aqua Tail, I also needed a teensy tiny bit of speed control. So Band Sciz pretty much knocks all that out in one singular slot. Lastly, Starmie is here to be the spinner, and a fast, hard hitting cleaner to compliment Necrozma's wallbreaking. Its also both a mach punch resist and a bullet punch resist, being able to revenge kill the respective users of those moves in an emergency. There aren't really any glaring weaknesses with the team, a point could be argued that Aero is kinda hard to switch on, but it can still be played around as its hard to get in vs this team and is pressured to click certain moves lest whatever is in front of it KOs it, this can lure it into a predictable state. And of course, Scizor still kills it with Banded BP. Also non Aqua Tail Aeros get checked by Rhyp. DD haxorus also isn't as annoying as it looks on paper considering nothing here lets it set up, and if it DOES somehow get that DD Scizor's banded BP kills it from quite some high ranges. Same with Scizor, nothing here gives it free moves and I have ways to revenge it fairly reliably. Overall, I think the team has a lot of good matchups. The stall matchup here is disgusting because I have SD Necro, NP Kiss, and Subseed Serp all sharing a team, in addition to this even, Rhyp rocks on most of Stall's non-Scizor defoggers. This can leave defensive teams extremely hard pressed in this matchup. But Offense doesn't have the best matchup here either, as Starmie and Serp can outspeed many offensive options and KO them with strong attacks, and Scizor puts in work vs more offensive matchups as well.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Aqua Tail

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 176 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

The idea is to use multiple pivots and various role compression tactics to make the most out of Hippo's ability to function as a defensive tank, toxic staller, phaser, while granting the actual rocker (Cobalion) many opportunities to find itself to employ quick hit-and-switch tactics with its offensive partner Hydreigon. Anything these two have a hard time breaking are well supported by Hone Claws Aero and the special wallbreaking nuke/lure Gengar. A fully special hippo can be used to take +1 Dracos and Z-draco moves better. Since Hippo continuously pressures the opponent via sand, toxic, phasing, and tanking, it needs to be able to aborb all kinds of hits. Double switching into your pivots will be important since both Hippo and Gengar are very effective at luring specific types of offensive mons that are shut down by Coba + Hydrei. While most teams of those sort benefit from a cleric or wish support, Hippo genuinely serves a good enough backbone to ensure the rest of the team has opportunities to break through before it's whittled down too much. I know the focus needs to be on Starmie and what it does, but that's the magic - because of the simplicity and overall use of Starmie's set, this combination is possible.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Looks like Euphonos and his webs team win this round!

Euphonos - 6
Kink - 5

--------------------------------------------

Our next week is gonna be pretty simple: Mega Manectric! Build yourself some VoltTurn or just plain offense with one of UU's most popular Mega Evolutions. There's not really much to say about this Pokemon, since it's essentially the most one-note 'mon on the higher end of the VRs.

Good luck building, and submissions are due by Saturday!

Jade

why are girls?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
manectric-mega.gifkrookodile.gifcrobat.gifsuicune.gifserperior.gifdiancie.gif

I actually built this prior to the teambuilding competition, but I thought it was cool and wanted to share. This was built around the double Intimidate core of Manectric + Krookodile. Offensively, they cover each other well. Krookodile also gave me Pursuit, a Ground type, and speed control. I decided on Crobat next, as it covers Grass-, Fairy-, Bug-, Fighting-, and Ground types for my core and also helps with the matchup against fatter teams with Taunt + Super Fang. It also provided a revenge killer for non-Scarf Latias. Next, I wanted an Ice and Water resist, a wincon, and a secondary stallbreaker since I generally prefer 2 instead of 1. I decided on broken mon Suicune, which destroys most offense teams that are unprepared and smashes fat along with Crobat. The EV spread outspeeds positive speed 70s which allows me to optimize more bulk. Next, I decided on Defog Meadow Plate Serperior. It provides me with a more reliable check to opposing Suicune, hazard removal, and the aforementioned fat matchup. Lastly, I had to decide on either a Steel type or a Fairy type. I also lacked a Flying resist. Most people who know me know how much I love Diancie, so I decided on everyone's favorite pixie rock. It also provides me with rocks and a reliable Hydreigon check.

Other Options

As far as different choices go, there isn't much. Ice Beam can be used on Suicune over Protect if you want to hit Grass types and hit Gliscor harder, but I generally prefer Protect for scouting and PP stalling easier. Glare on Serperior and Defog Crobat is another option if you don't want more reliable hazard removal and instead prefer for Serperior to snowball late-game, but it does this well enough anyway and I generally dislike Defog Crobat. No hazard removal is also an option due to my only Rocks weak mon having longetivity. However, the rest of my mons are grounded and generally dislike hazards, especially Suicune. If you're worried about status, Heal Bell on Diancie is an option, but generally I prefer Toxic for pressuring things like Hippowdon and Mantine.

Threatlist

Scizor is the obvious threat that comes to mind. The general way to deal with it is to not let it come in. It doesn't come in on anything safely aside from Diancie, which can deal some decent damage with Diamond Storm. If it does get in, generally your best bet is Manectric. Calm Mind Latias can be a nuisance if it sets up. If it kills a mon, you should go Crobat or Krookodile (if it's low enough) to revenge kill. These are the two biggest threats. Other threats include Suicune if Serperior goes down, any Hydreigon with Flash Cannon, opposing Manectric, and probably more I'm forgetting.

Overrall, I've had fun using this team. Enjoy!

Import

Okay, so I started with Manectric obviously. I paired Manectric with Scizor, since he provides me priority, trapping and momentum with U-turn. I added Swampert because he is an Electric Inmunity, can set up Stealth Rock and helps the team versus set up sweepers with Roar, he can spam Scald burns so is a great mon for sure lol. I wanted another Serperior Check and some power so I added CM Latias with Z Psychic, he provides the team ground inmunity. I wanted then an status absorber and a Krookodile check so i added Gliscor into the team, he can set up and break a lot of mons with eq+facade. Finallly, I wanted a good Scarfer and Hydreigon fits well imo cause he can spam powerful moves and keep the momentum on my side too.

Haxorus @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Play Rough

This is a standard hazard stacking voltturn team designed around the tried and true core of hydreigon + manectric. This core has an amazing matchup vs the majority of offensive team comps given the correct support. In this case the support comes in the form of the notoriously annoying spike stacking klefki. Due to the goal of the core of chipping down the enemy and gaining enough momentum to clean up the game with either manectric or hydreigon, spikes were the perfect (although completely unorigional) support for the goal of the core. I have reflect on klefki inorder to make setting up on haxorus slightly easier as finding oppourtunities to setup vs non stall matchups is often difficult. Swampert is on the team to aid in the hazard stacking as well as soak hits from opposing scarfers that would otherwise threaten the team such as infernape and krookodile. Haxorus is on the team to aid in patching up the weakness of the hydreigon manectric core of being god awful against stall, as well as provide an extra cleaner vs balance and offense. At this point in the team building process I realized that latias, specifically scarf latias, gave the entire team a run for their money and thus the easy fix of alolan muk is here to solve that problem as well as to provide a solid pivot and trapper in general.

1530370026558.png
1530370042190.png
1530370089395.png
1530370134579.png
1530370148211.png
1530370158087.png

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch

Tsareena (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Wish
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Only I could take one of the most offensively geared mons in the meta in Mega Manectric and attempt to build a balance around it. So we of course, start with the Mane man of this show, Mega Manectric. Its pretty self-explanatory, it can check stuff like Scizor, handle flyings Rhyperior isn't fond of, be a fast and annoying mon, etc. To compliment this, We have a Tsareena for wallbreaking, and spinning whenever a ground tries to farm Mega Manectric for free rocks, making it an extremely complimentary partner. Next we have Rhyperior to handle most flyings, some Aeros, and opposing electrics. Its also a very effective offensive rocks setter that can set against many teams. Now, we have Doublade, one of 3 parts of a steel/fairy/dragon core I tried to build with. Its a typical SD set, it does stuff like check Coba, Lati, Terrak, etc. Its still an exceptional mon even with the punching mushroom gone. Next we have Sylveon, to pass around some wishes. It has hidden power fire to avoid letting Scizor in for free, as depending on a lone Mega Manectric to check Scizor can be sometimes shaky. (For this reason, you'll notice that nothing here in particular lets Scizor in for free, and I even have an emergency check in Tsareena, which is a BP immunity that can HJK right through a chipped Scizor. So the matchup isn't too bad.) Lastly, we have Hydreigon, to be a sturdy revenge killer and compliment both Tsareena and Mega Manectric as part of the voltturn core. It's typing is also very valuable to the overall balance of this team, providing a dark to offensively handle other darks and some ghosts, as well as a dragon to complete the delicious steel/dragon/fairy core that me and I'm sure a few others like using on balanced teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)