Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time's up! Smallsmallrose is our winner this week by a fair amount of votes, congratulations!

Keeping with our streak of thicc Ground-types and since we're kinda running out of ACTUALLY good mons, Palossand will be on the board this week. Despite its niche status, Palossand can actually keep up in the current metagame with its unique typing that allows it to be one of the few physical walls that can easily stand up to the monstrous wallbreaker Terrakion. Having access to Stealth Rock and instant recovery in Shore Up also means that it's not painfully awkward to fit onto a team. However, sand castle thing is slow, not very strong, and exploitable by many common types and top threats in UU like Hydreigon and Celebi. In addition, its signature ability Water Compaction doesn't do it much good when Hydro Pumps from Starmie and Scalds from Slowbro are among the tier's most common Water-type moves. Get those teams in by Saturday guys!

Wow this early Smallsmall you should get some sleep

I wanted to build around Palossand and Chesnaught, since Chesnaught provided a vital water resist as well as justifies Palossand's place on the team by helping it with a number of mons that other grounds generally handle better, such as Zeraora and Bisharp. Next up, was Tentacruel. I wanted assistance with waters that would be detrimental to Chesnaught, namely ones like Primarina and the less common Volcanion. Tentacruel also gave me a sturdy check to pokemon like Scizor and Cobalion and provided hazard removal for the team. Latias looked extremely threatening at this point, as did Mamoswine, so I went with a Bronzong to check both of the above. Next up, I needed a stallbreaker, and some kind of Hydreigon check, so Togekiss fit very well in this slot. Lastly, I needed speed control, and a flying check. I chose Nihilego for it's ability to solidly check pokemon like Togekiss and Moltres, and it also has dazzling gleam to defeat taunt Hydreigon, a set that my Togekiss struggles with. Knock off is there to lure various grounds and steels like Gligar and Empoleon to make them easier to manage by removing their extremely valuable items. I hope you enjoy the team!

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
The Team
Bewear.pngTentacruel.pngUmbreon.png
Palossand (1).pngScizor.pngMega_Altaria (1).png

I started with SD Bewear and TS Tentacruel bc fuck stall. Umbreon's wishes and heal bells make this even easier, and umbreon patches up the latias weakness. At this point, Terrakion looked hella scary, so I plopped everyone's favorite sand castle. Palossand does a nice job of spreading toxic (particularly crippling rotom-h) and setting up rocks too. Now I lacked speed control and a steel, so CB Scizor was a nice fit. 3 Attack Malt rounded out the team rather well. Umbreon could take dracos before malt megas, heck even scizor in a pinch, while malt smashes things with the coverage.

Last edited:

click on the team to see the export
Salazzle is a Pokemon I wanted to try since a long time. It's a really fun Sweeper which can threaten a lot of teams thanks to its great coverage Fire + Poison. I decided to play Protect on it to Scout Choice Lock Pokemon like Terrakion, Hydreigon, Scizor or Krookodile. Then we have Palossand which paired really well with Salazzle, by being able to deal with Terrakion, Krookodile or Hippowdon. Hydreigon brings a lot of Speed to the team thanks to its Choice Scarf and gives a Ground immunity and a Water resistance to the team which is really useful. Blastoise-Mega acts as my Rapid Spinner and can break through Ground Types while Salazzle deals with Grass Types. Sylveon helps its teammates (especially Hydreigon & Blastoise-Mega with Wish and Palossand with Heal Bell). I opted for Moonblast over Hypervoice because Soundproof Kommo-o is a pain in the ass instead. Finally, Bisharp brings a priority to the team as well as a strong Physical Sweeper which is really good vs Pokemon like Blissey that counters most of team otherwise.

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Tsareena @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Power Whip

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Shore Up

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Pursuit

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Psychic

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Flamethrower

Yo! This is an anti-offense offense team I built for laddering. CB Tsa + Colbur Palo is a nice anti offense core because Palo hard walls/checks Terrakion, Mega Aerodactyl, Cobalion, Infernape, and the occassional physical Lucario and Mega Beedrill with Colbur to soak up a Dark-type attack and Toxic to pressure anything that floats, and CB Tsareena which forces out a low health Scizor and any health Bisharp with High Jump kick and most Stealth Rock setters with Power Whip. CB Tsareena also plays a key role in the stall matchup because it can OHKO both Blissey and Alo and U-Turn on Mega Altaria and Mega Aggron. Next I added Mega Aerodactyl for the speed control and I also desperately needed a switch in to Moltres and something to help remedy the Latias matchup. I gave Mega Aerodactyl roost so it can consistently switch in on all of the offensive birds and to add a bit of longevity to this team. Since I had a Ground-type, Stealth Rocker, breaker, Hazard Removal, and speed control my next two steps were a Fairy- and Steel-type. For the Steel I went with Scizor for two reasons: first it, with the help of Mega Aerodactyl, can deal with Latias second it can provide the team with a sweeper. I chose Bugium Z because that set has the ability to OHKO Amoonguss, do 96%+ to Swampert, and 87.8+ to Hippowdon which is nice for any offense team. For my Fairy I went with Primarina because I already had a Mega which meant no Mega Altaria and I needed a switch in to Crawdaunt with meant no Togekiss. I went with Specs just to have another breaker and make this team very threatening. Finally I selected AoA Kommo-o as my last slot to act as a secondary scald switch in, if for some reason Primarina is dead, and to provide more breaking power for the team as well as a much better stall matchup. The idea of this team is to have as many breakers as possible while at the same time having a good matchup against offense. This team does an excellent job of that and I consistently ladder above 1650 with this team for fun. Enjoy!

So I decided to start with Palossand on this BO squad and sort of worked around that. So Palo absolutely hates the dark types in the tier if it lacks Colbur so I decided to partner it with bulky Primarina. Primarina checks the tiers prominent dark types like Hydreigon and Krook as well as being a status absorber for Palossand. I then added the offensive core of Hydreigon + Celebi. I ended up using LO Mixed Hydra to lure in Blissey which the team ended up finding annoying and opened up the door for Celebi. Ghostium-Z Celebi was opted in order to make the Latias match-up less shaky but still breaking through the usual bulky walls pretty effectively. So Scizor was then added as my Latias check plus gave me a strong priority as the team lacks a scarfer. Finally Rotom-H was added as the team lacked an answer to Moltres and other flying types, works nicely with Palossand as it checks Maero. Will-O-Wisp to punish Pokemon like Gligar and Bisharp.

As for the EV spreads:
  • 44 Spe on Primarina to outspeed uninvested Alomomola and Chesnaught.
  • 240 SpA Hydra to garuantee OHKO Mega Bro, so the bonus Atk may help slightly with Superpower roles to 2OHKO Blissey.
  • Scizor has enough speed to outpace other bulky Scizors running 96 Spe or so for Klefki.
  • Rotom-H enough SpA to OHKO Celebi after SR.
I've had quite a lot of success with this squad from testing, hope ya enjoy!

Pretty much last week’s team but with a Bewear

Bewear this semistall! So what I really like about Bewear is how good it is at scaring slower builds shitless. Facade over Double Edge is an option if you really want to fuck with stall’s status antics but I prefer immediate damage. I have it paired with Palossand because Fluffy doesn’t really save it from the Fighting-types in the tier. Now instead of Sylveon I made Florges my wish passer just due to Bewear’s powerful offensive pressure and for that higher SpDef. I also have 96 Speed EVs on Florges to creep Adamant Crawdaunt. You saw Moltres and Empoleon last week and they’re the same sets so nothing else to say. Finally, I have a Latias this time as a secondary soft check to Fighting-types and to be another breaker. I have Soul Dew over Life Orb mainly because I don’t want my two main breakers to be racking up recoil damage throughout the match and that would just make my Florges’s job a little more difficult. Psyshock can be used over Psychic but it really just depends on how much you hate Blissey.

Hope you enjoy the team as always!

Edit: Had to change the link. Didn’t realize that my Florges had a Serious nature LMAO.

Last edited:

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
https://pokepast.es/b101211b577cb232

Originally I thought "yo easy build I'm just gonna take a build with physdef Gligar and replace it with Palossand" but then I thought that if I were to have Palossand in a build I would want a build were it has to be Palossand and not another mon. That's why I decided to pair it with Choice Band Bisharp, which really appreciates the fighting immunity since it would be otherwise really dangerous to click Knock Off. Then I added Empoleon because it forms a really great defensive core with Palossand. With this really solid defensive core in the back I thought I could add some offensive presence and especially a mon that could pair well offensively with Bisharp, so I added Infernape, which really appreciate the pursuit support and helps against sd superpower scizor and bisharp that would otherwise be huge threats to my team. Then I wanted a mon that could create opportunities for Bisharp to come in so I added Hydreigon because it invites in bulky fairies and Blissey and can U-Turn into Bisharp, on top of that it helps against threats I was weak to. Finally I wanted something to help against Hydreigon, Mamoswine, Moltres and Mega-Ataria so I figured bulky Primarina would be the perfect pick. And here is the team, it struggles with mons like Bolt Beam Latias and Zeraora but if you bluff corectly you can bring Bisharp and click Pursuit, since they'll most of the time switch out not wanting to be in an annoying situation. So to use this team you'll have to determine with the match-up if you have to keep Bisharp in the back and wait for the right moment to bluff sucker punch or not. All details regarding the sets are in the pokepaste.

I've personally used Phobic's team and its actually fantastic so my first vote goes to him, I think I'll use it a bit to ladder too lol

I've been recently smashed by Moutemoute's team too and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it's a good team. I've also used it myself, it's a really solid so I'll use my second vote for him
Salazzle is also very underrated, both moute's set and the subtoxic one, I encourage you to try it out

Drew's team is really really good too but I can't vote for three :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)