Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
voting for BackAtYouBro, I really really like the team. I uses almost to nowhere to be seen mons like Chandy and Gengar with a little interesting twist. Maybe I'd make the Gengar SubSplit instead of sub + 2 stabs with max hp but I really like the synergy it has with defensive prima.

With only small number of votes, it would appear as if Sp00ky Señor Sabbio has inched out on top this week!

So as you probably already knew, we've got Bisharp on the table this week. Returning from the land of UU one year ago, Bisharp is back in the tier after a somewhat one sided suspect test, ready to make just about anyone think twice before adding a passive Defog user to their team. Its nifty Dark/Steel typing on top of its monstrous attack stat and ability Defiant secures its spot among UU's top offensive threats. Unfortunately it is often held back by its mediocre Speed and overall bulk; and thus a reliance on Sucker Punch to break faster teams. The prolific Fighting-type Pokemon in the tier also hinder its capabilities often, as most of them have the means to retaliate against a +2 Sucker Punch. Submissions due Saturday!

1540940227819.png
1540940245409.png
1540940261268.png
1540940284183.png
1540940303534.png
1540940315495.png

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Protect

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Slack Off

This is a team that I originally built for Latios/Bisharp Meta and it was insane when it had the Latios but even switching the Latios for Latias it's still pretty powerful. I got fairly far on some of my reqs attempts with this team, and it seems to work very well in general. Shark is EQ/Ice Fang coverage so that it can deal with Bisharp but not be totally helpless against things like Chesnaught and Amoonguss (Though both of the above become harder without psyfangs.) Next up is my Bisharp. It needs no introduction, we know how powerful Bisharp is, we know what it does. it's a great mon, really. Being a defog deterrent and possible SD cleaner makes it very valuable to this team. Next up, Latias. Latias is a big assist by pressuring a number of defoggers Bisharp struggles with like Gligar and Rotom-H, while also pressuring some of the spinners like Tentacruel. It's also a fantastic wincon with dragonium. Next up, is Klefki. Its an effective Latias check. It resists it, paralyzes it, and hits it with a few play roughs. It, Bisharp, and Shark are also more than enough speed for a team like this. It sets spikes as Shark+Spikes is a solid wincon against a number of teams. It's magnet rise to make the likes of Mamoswine and Krook less obnoxious to this team. Next up, we have Nidoqueen. It's the team's rocker, the Terrak check, Coba check, Scizor backup check, and the Zera check. I love Nidoqueen, it's a fantastic option in this meta. Lastly, we have mixed Infernape. It can break against a number of teams with mixed attacking prowess, and slack off lets it heal on switches. This is especially important since it's the team's primary Bisharp check and also one of my Scizor checks. This team has served me fantastically in the battles I've used it in. It has some clear defensive weaknesses, but those are usually off-set by the fact that this is an offense and it can pressure most things it's weak to on paper with strong offensive backbone.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This is the squad I used to get reqs. I basically wanted to build bish webs as soon as I realized it was a possibility due to many months of having Tornadus as the only semi viable Defiant user for webs. I decided to go with the Z Sucker Punch set which I think is pretty neat. Araq was my webber of choice. Mamo was my rocker of choice because of it's ability to pressure common defoggers as well as flying dragons and birds like Mega Aerodactyl and Hydreigon with Ice Shard. Nidoking is another option here that would be viable to improve the Zera matchup but I felt Ice Shard was to important here so I plopped sash onto the Mamo and it's worked out nicely. I went with Lucario next mainly because of Bisharp, but it also just abuses webs so well and improves the stall m/u immensely with the NP set. LO vwave is cool vs TR as well oo. I went with Latias in this slot because I needed a ground immunity and something that could reliably check shit like Moltres. CM Tbolt Lati sounded like the move so there's that. Gengar was the last mon to be put in place and it's there as a spinblocker, webs abuser, taunt user, and a fairy resist on a team w/ 2 steels and no fairy resist lmao.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Mienshao @ Assault Vest
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Latias @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

This is for you Cake. So Bisharp, there is a webs team, a spikes team, and now neither of the above. So, started with a core of latias+bisharp as they both have similar checks in steel types, and latias can beat most fighting types of the tier. Next is mienshao, which is a dark resist, general switch-in to some special mons and overall good utility to the team, fast, priority along with bisharp, volt turn with rotom, yee. Latias is Calm mind, giving me another breaker but the set is still in decision, for now i decided CM 3 attacks with Electrium. Next, Steelix, fairy check, dragon check, check to a lot of things, rocks, its good. Next is Prim, fairy type of the team, defensive to better take on the likes of kommo-o and scary dragons along with steelix. Rotom is the last mon, flying check, secondary scizor check, defog, floating mon, lots of good things. I know this isnt very detailed but this is last minute so screw it. Here ya go.

Ay sorry for the late post, I might be retarded
Anyhow, vivalospride has pretty clearly won this week, congratulations!

Next on our slate will be Chesnaught. The big spikey boi can provide solid defensive counterplay to many current metagame threats like Krookodile and Terrakion. Unlike its hazard laying counterpart Klefki, it often finds opportunities to lay Spikes down against more passive Pokemon such as Suicune, Amoonguss, and Mega Aggron, thanks to its massive bulk and unique typing. However, Chesnaught's typing leaves it equally vulnerable to equally popular meta threats, and a proper team must support it to ensure it doesn't get run over by big contenders in UU such as Latias and Moltres. As per usual, get those teams in by Saturday!

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost

Cobalion @ Steelium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Pain Split

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Toxic

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Crunch

This is a BO team I built a few weeks back near the beginning of the Bisharp suspect and have had success with on the ladder, when building I decided I wanted to build around Mega Altaria and ended up incorporating Chesnaught into the squad. So I started with your standard DD Malt set but opted for an Adamant nature as I don't see the merit of running Jolly as you are still slower than Mega Bee. Standard stab + EQ coverage for Pokemon like Tentacruel, Cobalion etc. Next member of the squad was Steelium-Z Cobalion to lure and remove Amoonguss and other fairy types for Malt while being my offensive SR and acts as an important switch-into Scizor and Mega Sharpedo. Next up is Chesnaught as both these offensive threats enjoyed Spikes support while being a valuable check to Zera, Cobalion, Terrakion and secondary Bisharp answer.

Rotom-H was the next addition as the team was in need of a flying type check especially in the case of Moltres and a Mamoswine switch-in. Pain split to keep healthy to check said treats. Then I added Tentacruel which provides me with a more secure Scizor, Infernape and Lucario answer which are so prominent right now especially the NP sets as on preview I can straight up lose to them after a boost. Very standard set Haze to deal with set-up sweepers like Suicune and ones mentioned above. It also allows me to remove hazards without removing the ones I set, Toxic to help vs Pokemon like Latias. The reason for using these bulky water types was because a Scald and Primarina switch-in was greatly needed. The final member is Scarf krook which acts as speed control and secondary wincon. I opted for Crunch to ease the match-up against Latias and Slowbro, also helps playing around Chandelure better.

The team has been pretty solid and from testing I'd say the biggest issues I came across were Mega-Aerodactyl if it is carrying Wing Attack so you have to scout for that, otherwise it isn't a threat. Latias can also be pretty scary but Malt is a soft check and Krook pretty much always revenge kills it, Latias also can't freely set up on Coba but still need to be careful around it.

Hydreigon @ Groundium Z
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic

I decided to make a team with Hazard Stacking because it's a really strong archetype in the current Underused. Chesnaught is my Spiker and deals with some major threats in Underused like Krookodile, Zeraora, Crawdaunt or Bisharp while Diancie is my Stealth Rocks setter and paired pretty well with Chesnaught thanks to its typing. It can checks Hydreigon and Latias to some extent. Then we have Tentacruel with Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin. It has a good synergy with both Chesnaught and Diancie and can checks some threats which tears appart Ches/Diancie Core (like Cobalion, Infernape or Lucario). Groundium Z Hydreigon is an amazing pick for the team because it helps my Hazards Setter by removing Pokemon like Tentacruel, Empoleon or Defog Klefki. Thanks to Roost, it can checks Volcanion which is a pain for my defensive core. Finally, Scizor and Manectric-Mega bring Momentum to the team thanks to U-Turn and Volt-Switch. Scizor also acts as a Late Game Sweeper with Swords Dance and a Latias check. Manectric-Mega can RK Pokemon like Scizor and pressures most of Water Types in the tier. I opted for Toxic over smth like T-Bolt or Signal beam because it helps vs Stall and most of the time, it's a good pick in the long run.

Altaria-Mega (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 44 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect / Knock Off

Rotom-Heat @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

EVs: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Taunt

Latias @ Adrenaline Orb
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

The Pokemon i wanted to start from was Doublade since I feel like is an underrated threat both offensively and defensively despite the amount of Water-types and Knock Offs that litter the tier. I though that this "lure" Latias set could work wonders with Doublade, baiting Krook and OHKOing it with +1 Ice Beam as well as setting up on non-Toxic Manectric and other Water-types that worry Doublade like Tentacruel, which can only spam Haze. Altaria was added next as both of my mons really didn't like Knock Off or Dark-Types in general. Since I needed it as a bulky pivot that could dish out damage on opposing Steels that trouble this particular Latias set I decided to go for an Impish set. Credits to Twilight for this one, its his same spread besides the Relaxed nature since I feel like being able to outspeed Crab/Primarina is very nice: this choice turned out to very useful throughout many games. Rotom was added next since I absolutely love the synergy it has with Altaria, being able to check a slew of threats like Scizor, Mega Lix, Mega Aggron, Amoonguss and Nidoking. Initially Wiki Berry was the item of choice. Next up was Chester, since I felt like the team could really appreciate a proper Stone Edge switch-in, another Zeraora as well as Krook, Cobalion and Bisharp check to alleviate some pressure from Altaria. Spikes looked very good for the team too as both Doublade and Lati appreciate the extra chip. Taunt with 16 Speed EVs allows Chesnaught to outspeed all base 65 mons like Empoleon and Alomomola even if they decide to run 4 Speed. This lets me cripple more passive teams and not let Empo Defog on me, thus being able to keep up Spikes longer. Empoleon was added to round off the Fire Water Grass core and provide me with a solid rocker, as well as an additional Moltres check and an initional Latias switch-in in the earlier stages of the game in which Altaria wouldn't be able to mega evolve yet. I'm undecided as to use Protect or Knock off as the former gives me the ability to scout in which moves stuff like CB Terrak, Specs/Scarf Hydra and Scizor are going to lock themselves into as well as giving me much needed extra Leftovers recovery and being able to Toxic stall mons like Celebi easier, while the latter helps me remove passive recovery items such as recovery berries from Rotom formes, which is pretty cool for an Altaria team, Black Sludge and Lefties which gives me the upper hand along with Spikes passive damage against fatter teams. Later in the process I gave Rotom-H Firium Z w/ Pain Split since I felt that I had enough immediate tools for Scizor and Moltres, as well as Dragons that come in on Volt. It's useful to knock out stuff like Celebi/Nidoking, both of which can be really threatening, and in general mons that normally live an Overheat and don't expect to be knocked out, like a half HP Hippo or a Mega Aggron w/ wish support that stays in certain to be able to heal later with Wish.
Overall I really like this team and I'm glad that I managed to build something around this particular Latias set.

Last edited:
They tell me to stop building balances but they forget it's Chesnaught week (pokepaste)

Anywho, I wanted to take a crack at building one of those fancy Blissey balances that's been running about. I don't think I did too well, but I'm posting it anyway. Here we have Chesnaught, we know what it does, we know why it's here. Its Chesnaught week, its a physical wall with spikes, it can check Zeraora and Bisharp, its a darn good mon. Next up, we have the Big Blissey. It checks special attackers for my team and gives me rocks, I also gave it wish to pass wishes and keep the team up. Next up, is Gligar. Every team needs a Terrakion check nowadays, and still needed an electric immunity for the likes of Mane and Rotom-H that my Chesnaught isn't keen on taking. and I put Gligar here as my main scorpion for the job, it also defogs if my opponent's hazards are more important than mine. Now I needed a Lati check, but I also wanted a Mamoswine check. Bronzong to the rescue in this scenario. Since Blissey has stealth rock, I could give this Bronzong all 4 of the move it needs! 4MSS syndrome, begone! I really did need a Scizor check at this point, and some kind of stallbreaker. So I whipped out the rare Chandelure to try and fight against it. But even with this Chandelure, I still felt Infernape weak, and needed speed control. So to be a little better off I used Latias as my last mon and scarfer. It has it's STABs to revenge kill and trick and healing wish to give a lot of utility to the team as well!

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
7FAE4D4F-DF0F-4EE4-8698-E017888FBBED.gif
5B26A96C-6561-41A4-9FB7-413B2B60C4B9.gif
B42BA47F-688E-4C32-BA1A-C987E574775E.gif
70210D93-D557-4017-B232-38C36FCA4AE6.gif
8D19A1C1-892A-4287-8C5F-DAFD65040128.gif
9AE51AF7-899E-4191-9C4F-6A4440B5BAD3.gif
Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Pursuit

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

EVs: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Taunt

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
I didn’t plan on making a team for this week and this one is a bit odd with two Eviolite users but it has Chesnaught so w/e lol. I started with aero + jellicent since jellicent tortures fatter squads while aero can annoy offense with its crazy speed. Chesnaught has been blessed with bulletproof, and has a pseudo ghost immunity because of it. Chesnaught takes care of Zeraora, most darks, and could be a neat additional taunt user to bother Fat even more, synergizing well with jellicent. At this point, I lacked a ground immunity, steel, rocks, and removal. Big yikes. Ended up going with an interesting Dragon-Fairy-Steel core in the form of Hydreigon-Cleffairy-Doublade. Doublade can tear up offensive teams with +2 Shadow Sneak, loves the hazards, and can eat a fair amount of hits. Cleffairy handles hydreigon with ease and is a nuisance spreading paralysis while not being able to be worn down with toxic. Hydreigon is a reliable defogger and pivot that can wreck havoc with the foes being paralyzed. Hydreigon, Chesnaught, and somewhat aero can take knock offs for the Eviolite duo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)