Undiscovered Types [PLAYABLE on Galaxy Server!]

Jajoken said "playable in OU" :P
I said "playable in OU," not "remotely viable in OU." Some unique typings were just sent out to die...

RIP

So this isn't a completely pointless post, I've noticed that the thread goes fairly dead in the latter half of the week (understandable, as everyone has already posted submissions). Though people are still totally free to submit until Sunday, I'd like to shift discussion to theorymonning how the past submissions will effect the OU metagame as it stands. If you need a refresher, the second post of this thread has an archive of previous winners.

I think Yanmega is going to be a game-changer for sure. As was noted, Tinted Lens Draco Meteor is... Scary. I've had firsthand experience with it via Universal. Nothing to scoff at. Besides that, the only other thing that I think will have significant impact will be Eelektross. It already has pretty decent stats, and now that it has a secondary STAB that it can use to really lay the smack down on Fairies, I think it might be a good 'mon now.

Yanmega (by The Reptile)

Bug/Flying -> Bug/Dragon
+ Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Outrage, Dragon Rush
- Air Slash (Yanma also loses this)
Pros: Loses x4 Stealth Rock weakness, gains additional resistances/neutralities, Tinted Lens Draco Meteor (!!)
Cons: Has more trouble with Fairy types, no longer has an immunity, still struggles with Steels
Tinted Lens Yanmega isn't actually that bothered by Fairies, unless they're doubly resistant to Bug, and even then it's pretty easy for coverage to let it push through, if only thanks for Tinted Lens. (eg Giga Drain is functionally neutral against Mawile) It doesn't necessarily need Speed Boost to have a usable Speed tier, either, as it has Tailwind. While its bulk is overall bad, it's not so bad it can't pull off a bulky Whirlwinder set, now that its typing is no longer complete garbage.

Overall I doubt it will have that much of an impact on the meta. Tinted Lens Draco Meteor is cool and all, but it lacks the oomph to really accomplish anything amazing, even when backed by something like Choice Specs. It could be a decent Baton Pass recipient, maybe, though that has problems now that you can't Baton Pass Speed at the same time as other stats. It can make up for that with its own Speed Boost access, but then you don't have Tinted Lens.

Dunsparce (by Eevee General)

Normal -> Normal/Dragon
+ Dragon Tail, Draco Meteor, Dragon Rush, Dragon Pulse, Outrage
- Ice Beam, Blizzard
Pros: Gains actual resistances, now has 2 STAB options, can possibly pull off a bulky phasing set

Cons: Has 2 more weaknesses, new STAB doesn't benefit from Serene Grace, stats are still underwhelming
Dragon Rush does benefit from Serene Grace, and after one Coil you'll never miss either. Body Slam (Or Glare), Coil, Dragon Rush, in that order, will paraflinchhax a lot of stuff very reliably. It can even Roost off damage! Fairies, Ghosts (If using Body Slam for Paralysis), and Electric types all present issues, though.

Also it has three more weaknesses: Ice, Dragon, Fairy. It doesn't lose its Fighting weakness.

The paraflinchhax potential places it in close competition with Togekiss, but they might actually be decent partners for each other, at least if their shared weakness to Ice doesn't hold the combo back too much.

Scrafty (+Scraggy)
(by Stitch98)

Dark/Fighting -> Dragon/Fighting
+ Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Earthquake (Scraggy doesn't get Earthquake)
Pros: Bulky Intimidate sets appreciate new resistances, Earthquake lets it muscle through checks
Cons: Misses STAB Knock Off, struggles even worse against Fairies, doesn't benefit from new Special moves

Here's the bad news: there is no good news. Scrafty has been pretty much directly downgraded. It lacks the Special to get any use out of the Fire Blast access -it will do almost as much damage to Physically Defense Skarmory with +1 Drain Punch as with an uninvested Fire Blast- while the resistances don't really do anything for it and the loss of an immunity hurts a lot in terms of getting switch-in opportunities. Also, no STAB Knock Off. Also, for Dragon Dance sets it's now weak to Ice Shard, which sucks, and resistance to Aqua Jet isn't much consolation when Aqua Jet mostly means Azumarill and Azumarill still explodes you. Gaining access to Earthquake... I'm sure there's things it helps against -it would help against Mega Mawile if it was still legal- but it's not really a brilliant combination with its STABs.

Cloyster (+Shellder)
(by Slawth13)
Water/Ice (+Water)-> Poison/Ice (+Poison/Water)
+ Poison Sting, Sludge, Sludge Bomb, Cross Poison, Sludge Wave
- Clamp, Whirlpool, Brine
Pros: Has a STAB options for hitting bulky waters, breaks Fairies easier, immune to Toxic, absorbs Toxic Spikes, neutral to Fighting
Cons: Gains new weaknesses including Fire, can't utilize Hydro Pump on mixed sets very efficiently
I won't be surprised if Cloyster runs Special sets here.

Poison/Ice isn't the best combination in the world, offensively, but it's not the worst either, and supported by Water is actually pretty decent.

The vulnerability to Psychic and Ground aren't so bad, actually, as Cloyster's Physical bulk is impressive and most Ground is Earthquake while a lot of Psychic offense is Psyshock. (Not all of it, but a lot of Pokemon run it over Psychic)

Not a lot to say, honestly. I think it will be a little more flexible than in Standard, but not necessarily any better.

Eelektross (+Eelektrik, Tynamo)
(by Swagodile)

Electric -> Electric/Poison
+ Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Poison Jab, Poison Fang
Pros: Gains additional resistances, has new STAB options, immune to x4 weakness
Cons: Has an actual weakness now, Mold Breaker Earthquake will destroy it
Basically a straight improvement on Eelektross. It likes to run Poison moves anyway, in Standard.

Weezing (+Koffing)
(by The Reptile)

Poison -> Poison/Fire
+ Overheat, Solar Beam
Pros: Immune to both DoT status effects, x4 resists Fairy + Grass + Bug, immune to x4 weakness (again)
Cons: Gains Stealth Rock + Scald weaknesses, Mold Breaker Earthquake will destroy it (again)
Honestly, I suspect it will tend to compete too much with Heatran, with Heatran coming out ahead. On the other hand, it's arguably a decent partner with heatran, due to its resistance to Fighting and immunity to non-Mold breaker Earthquake, leaving only Water as a shared weakness. Its access to Paint Split also lets it keep going for longer than you might expect, even if it lacks true healing.

The biggest point in its favor, though, is how much this hurts (most) Steel types trying to wall it.

EDIT: Man, quoting hates non-left-centered text.

So this isn't a completely pointless post, I've noticed that the thread goes fairly dead in the latter half of the week (understandable, as everyone has already posted submissions). Though people are still totally free to submit until Sunday, I'd like to shift discussion to theorymonning how the past submissions will effect the OU metagame as it stands. If you need a refresher, the second post of this thread has an archive of previous winners.
I'm glad this was introduced. :]
I was going to mention sooner or later that because the new slate starts exactly as the old one finishes, there is literally no time to properly discuss the new type changes, but I guess there's no need.
I hope it's fine giving a bit more discussion than asked.

Yanmega was pretty much explained already so far, haha.
Dunsparce gets a nice gimmick with Serene Grace + Coil + Dragon Rush, but I doubt with those stats it would do well in OU at all. NU, if anything.
Scrafty / Scraggy... in all honesty another Pokemon getting this type may have been more beneficial for both this family and the other Pokemon. Or maybe there was a reason we don't have a Dragon/Fighting yet. Anyway, I doubt I'd see much of this Pokemon at all. At the least it loses is neutrality to Bug and gains a 4x resistance, but that's about it. For Scraggy, it too is pretty much worse in LC, losing its Psychic immunity.
Cloyster / Shellder: since Cloyster was again explained, I'll go for Shellder. Shellder is weird in the fact it goes from pure Water to Poison/Ice. Debatably Shellder becomes better, as many LC sets for Shellder tend to use Ice type moves, gaining STAB Ice Shard and STAB Skill Link Abuse. However, it is still walled by Steel-types most of the time, and I guess Cloyster too, unless they run Water-type moves, which are no longer STAB, unfortunately.
The Eelektross family is debatably better, however, Excadrill seems like a hard counter. Sure, it gets Flamethrower, but if the opponent predicts right Excadrill can be a real problem. Heck, Flamethrower / Fire Punch might have to be run on every set because of it, which limits it options, and even then you might have to have another Excadrill stop on your team. Tynamo gets more moves, but in general is still bad. Eelektrik doesn't have much change.
I think Weezing / Koffing are explained pretty much too. Not sure about giving Solar Beam to the pollution Pokemon, but yeah.

All-round nice type changes so far, I'm interested to see how things go in the future. :]

canno

formerly The Reptile
Not sure about giving Solar Beam to the pollution Pokemon, but yeah.
I was thinking of not giving it Solar Beam despite all Fire-types learning Solar Beam, but Weezing naturally learns Sunny Day because lolGen1, so it would be more odd for it to not learn Solar Beam. Think of it as a Gen 1 quirk ;)

Yanmega is kind of cool, although ultimately its stats hold it back. Tinted Lens Draco Meteor is really cool though - not as cool as it would of been in Gen 5, but its still really neat. Meanwhile Speed Boost is alright, although I think Specs or Scarf Tinted Lens is probably going to be the main thing. Something to note is that it has some nifty resists, including a resist to Keldeos STABs. Sadly, its SpDef is too low to truely capitalize on this, but at the very least it can switch in on Keldeo on the RK and smack something with a Draco. I don't know how good Yanmega is going to be, but it is much better than it used to be imho, having the very small niche of Tinted Lens Draco Meteor.

I don't see Dunsparse being good either, honestly. Its stats are still horrible, although now it has a lot more options that it used to thanks to Dragon's new resists - which greatly outweigh its new weaknesses. It's movepool is still fantastic - Coil sets are probably going to be the most used. Overall it might see some use but I don't think its particularly great

At first glance it might seem Scrafty is worst than it used to be, but I disagree. Offensively it did get nerfed (rip Knock Off), but from a defensive spectrum this is a buff imho. It now has more resistances, which greatly helps it considering that it has big bulk and low speed. Most of its "issues" are basically the same that it used to have before its Dragonic change. Overall I think its new resists help it out a ton

I feel like Cloyster is unchanged, which means I don't think its very viable in OU. It can't use Hydro Pump to smack Skarmory, but it will probably be running HP Fire in OU anyways for shit like Ferro and the aforementioned Skarm. It's new resists might seem that it can set-up on things like Clefable, but Clef is probably going to either Thunder Wave or Fire Blast you to oblivion. Poison Jab might force a switch, but Clefable can always take an unboosted Poison Jab because Cloyster is piss-weak pre-smash

Eelektross is really cool - now it has more useful resistances, and it gains a weakness to Psychic and Mold Breaker Ground-types (so Moldy Excadrill). Keep in mind that Eelektross completely walls non-Mold Breaker Excadrill, as Excadrill has basically nothing to touch Eelekross. It also has really good coverage, and can run a variety of sets from AV to Coil to Specs. It's low speed and lack of recovery hamper it, but this is nothing but an upgrade to our eel friend.

Weezing is a cool wall now, with Poison / Fire typing and an immunity to Ground. It also has a cute toolbox of moves, such as Wisp, Toxic Spikes, and Pain Split for pseudo-recovery. This thing can now completely wall Clefable, and Clear Smog its Calm Mind boosts away. It does compete heavily with Heatran, as Heatran also does the same thing, but Weezing has its merits over Heatran (the biggest being the Fighting resists).

New Scrafty
Resistances: Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Bug, Rock, Dark
Weaknesses: Ice, Flying, Psychic, Dragon, Fairy (x4)

Old Scrafty
Resistances: Psychic (x0), Rock, Ghost, Dark (x.25)
Weaknesses: Fighting, Flying, Fairy (x4)

Basically, Dragon/Fighting has more switch-in opportunities, but also more scenarios to be forced out. The real sticking point for me is that while both types struggle immensely with Fairies, old Scrafty could at least throw out a Knock Off on the switch, getting off 10-30% and removing an item. You'd be forced out, but at least the Fairy didn't get in for free. Now, Knock Off is a much less spammable move, and while Fairies still lose their items, they also get away with taking less damage. That's even if you're still running Knock Off -- if you want to run Dragon STAB, you only have one open slot for DD, Bulk Up, Rest or a Fairy-killing move assuming you run STAB + Knock Off. If you don't use Dragon STAB, only your Fighting STAB will hit especially hard.

canno

formerly The Reptile
More switch-in opportunity and resists is much more important than being forced out more. I'd say this is even more true in Balanced teams (where Scrafty is probably going to find himself if he's used at all). The lost of STAB Knock Off really sucks - Scrafty will probably never use Knock Off and will opt for either Earthquake or Poison Jab (potentially even Toxic to cripple Unaware Clef) over Knock Off. Granted, knocking off Lefties of a Fairy is cute and much better than not doing much, it's not really that big. It would be much more relevant if they didn't have reliable recovery, which the relevant Fairies in OU do. Plus, STAB Knock Off matters a lot less when you're suppose to be a bulky Pokemon like Scrafty is - resistances is much more valuable in Scrafty's case, and not only does it have resists but it has relevant resists (Water, Fire, Electric, Rock, and Dark are very good to resist). This hugely outweighs its cons - remember, Scrafty is not an offensive behemoth, its a bulky set-up / wall-ish mon. Not like its hugely important - Scrafty itself wasn't viable in OU at all. New Scrafty might have at least a tiny niche thanks to its resists, although I doubt that because of its bad stats (65 HP is terrible)

EV

Banned deucer.

Tinted Lens Yanmega is really underrated from what I can see. Bug/Dragon is only resisted by a few Pokemon after the Tinted Lens boost: Klefki, Togekiss, Mawile, and Aegislash.

Here's what Specs does to Heatran
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 204-240 (52.8 - 62.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

To Clefable
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

To Registeel
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Huge chunks of damage. Fairies remain the best checks because they only take a STAB 90 base power attack whereas Steels have to eat a 110 base power move (bar Klefki/Mawile.)

Coverage options include Giga Drain, HP Ground, and Ancient Power. Giga Drain is really only there to try and get HP back. At least it only loses 25% vs 50% with its new typing.

Last edited:
[Yanmega hype placeholder for when I can get to comp for calcs]

Y'all are waaaaay underselling it.
It can't boost, it's fairly fragile, especially on the Special end, its Speed tier is painful (And correcting that with Speed Boost means giving up Tinted Lens), and its Special Attack is... OK, not amazing. As a wallbreaker it has some decent potential, thanks to Tinted Lens Draco Meteor

252+ SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Yanmega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 195-229 (50.5 - 59.3%) -- 77% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Which is a lie because your second hit is -2 252+ SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Yanmega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 99-117 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery. The two rolls being max won't be a 2HKO, before Leftovers)

and it can do things like Draco Meteor and then U-Turn out for some additional chipping damage/scouting out what they do, but it's very sensitive to offensive pressure, it can't do jack to the premier Special wall (It's not like it learns Taunt, which otherwise it could combine with Roost to horribly screw over Chansey), it's weak to Stealth Rock, its fragility makes it extremely difficult to take advantage of Roost even against very passive teams (Which, in conjunction with Stealth Rock weakness and its most powerful move essentially demanding a switch, makes it very difficult to lean on Life Orb for damage, while Choice Specs running Roost at all is very questionable and even a Choice Specs Giga Drain is fairly weak), and a lot of the things it theoretically brings to the table are done by other, better Pokemon, such as being able to set Tailwind and then U-Turn out.

Basically the only thing it does all that well to give it a niche is Tinted Lens Draco Meteor, and I'd argue that Focus Energy Kingdra is superior as a wallbreaker abusing Draco Meteor. (Albeit Yanmega has the advantage of not needing a turn to get set up)

It's better off than Standard Yanmega, absolutely, but I have a hard time seeing it have a notable impact on the OU metagame.

EDIT: That calc against Clefable is just depressing, given that you're running Choice Specs and it only barely has a chance of getting the 2HKO. That's not even a fully Specially Defensive Clefable, and Clefable has Calm Mind/Cosmic Power and recovery. I'd sooner drop a Toxic on it...

Last edited:
Sorry if this was mentioned in the first post somewhere- can you post the same pokemon + typing as someone before you, if you have a different idea for other changes (different movepool, ability, whatever)? I saw people reserving so I wasnt sure

SLATE 3 WINNERS
(Mega) Banette (+Shuppet) (by The Reptile)

Ghost-> Ghost/Normal
Pros: Gains an immunity without any new weaknesses, only weak to Dark, appreciates great new STAB
Cons: No new move additions

Cofagrigus (by The Reptile)

Ghost -> Ghost/Rock
+ Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Power Gem
Pros: Rock type that's immune to Fighting, great bird check, new STAB for offensive sets
Cons: Gains three fairly common weaknesses, wishes it had Stealth Rock

Mismagius (+Misdreavus) (by Da Pizza Man)

Ghost -> Ghost/Fairy
+ Moonblast
Pros: Neutral to Poison and Dark, has four immunities, Fairy and Ghost are great STABs
Cons: Can't revenge kill Mega Metagross anymore? (I'm reaching here)
Feel free to discuss the impact of these new additions to the metagame below, or wait until around Thursday where I will officially initiate the discussion. Overall, this was an awesome slate. Ghost/Normal Mega Banette is nothing but a buff, and a big one too. It's the only typing that's immune to both of its own types, with a bonus Fighting immunity to neutralize that Normal type completely. Even with no new moves, STAB Return coming off of a massive 165 Attack even makes heavy Normal type hitters like Diggersby blush. Maybe now people will now have a reason to use one of the scariest Prankster users in the game. Cofagrigus is less of a straight buff, but still an interesting type regardless. No birdspammer can get past this thing outside of EQ Mega Pinsir, and having a Rock type that's immune to one of its primary weaknesses is pretty cool. And now: Mismagius. Again, Ghost/Fairy is pretty much an exclusive buff outside of the Steel weakness and Poison neutrality (lol). Very few things can switch in to both a Moonblast and a Shadow Ball, and with immunities to Normal, Fighting, Dragon and Ground, Mismagius itself has a lot of switch-in opportunities. It has 105 base stats in all the places that matter, and with scary options like Nasty Plot and WoW, I can see this thing having fun in OU.

SLATE 4 VOTING

Time for the fifth voting stage! PM me (don't post it in the thread please) three choices for each of the type combinations, and then give each choice 1-3 points. You have one +3, one +2, and one +1 to give for each type. Just list the submission name under the type, and give it the points in parenthesis like so:

Bug + Ice: Avalugg/Bergmite (+3), Forretress/Pineco (+2), Masquerain (+1)
Bug + Psychic: Vespiquen (+3), Ledian (+2), Butterfree (+1)
Bug + Dark: Accelgor (+3), Drapion (+2), Ninjask (+1)

What you're actually voting for is subjective, but try to focus on things that are actually fitting first, then consider which ones a particularly cool and/or viable.

Here are the valid submissions by type:

Name: Vivillon (Icy Snow, Tundra, and Polar Patterns) [JAJOKEN NOTE: This isn't actually possible on the client so this is for all Vivillon]
Type:
Bug / Ice
Justification: Vivillion's patterns make it very unique. What about type changes? Bug/Ice fits for these ones.
New Moves: Blizzard, Ice Beam, Hail, Icy Wind, Frost Breath, Ice Shard, Earth Power (Tundra only)
Removed Moves: None.
Altered Abilities: None.

Name(s): Bergmite, Avalugg
Type: Bug/Ice
Justification: Bergmite is named after the mite, and both Avalugg and its pre-evolution look like some sort of creepy-crawly, with the large flat back resembling the shell of various types of beetles and serving a similar purpose. Don't let the number of legs fool you: most Bug types in the series only have four (look it up).
New Moves: Bug Bite, Struggle Bug, Sticky Web, U-turn, Megahorn
Removed Moves: None
Altered Abilities: None

Name(s): Masquerain
Justification: This one is more difficult. First of all, it comes from a Bug/Water type and for me it makes no sense that such a great type is wasted upon evolution, so at least I would give Masquerain a type related to Water and its head looks like a frozen drop of water. Also, the main color of its artwork is white/light cyan, often associated with Ice type. In addiction, it already learns some Ice-type moves.
New Moves: Powder Snow, Freeze-Dry, Frost Breath, Aurora Beam, Hail
Removed Moves: Gust, Air Slash, Air Cutter
Altered Abilities: Unnerve -> Snow Cloak

Name(s): Pineco -> Forretress
Justification: Imagine a winter forest area. Pineco's similarity to pinecones makes me think of how they are evergreen trees that survive intact in winter, and suddenly I could see an image of Pineco living within an Abomasnow and it sort of works when you think of evergreen forests. Actually Pineco has a few visual similarities with Abomasnow and the color scheme is dull enough that it looks like it can be in a frigid area. As for when it evolves to Forretress, all I can think of is a snowball fortress! Its shape looks like a compact, hardened snowball and it looks like a 'cold' pokemon. Imagine icicles or snowballs shooting out of those 'guns'. A cool thing with the type change though is if it has Overcoat, it will still be immune to Sandstorm while preventing powder moves. It still retains Gyro Ball because of round shape and Flash Cannon because Vanilluxe line can learn it.
New Moves: Aurora Beam, Ice Beam, Icy Wind, Mist, Hail, Frost Breath, Blizzard, Haze, Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear
Removed Moves: Heavy Slam

Name(s):
Vespiquen
Type: Bug / Psychic
Justification: I think Bug / Psychic fits well, tapping into the whole "hive-mind" thing - something I feel resonates with Psychic. Of course, this causes a huge influx in its movepool and a change in its ability. Most of them are Psychic-type moves, however, there are two that do not fit at first glance. While not all Psychic-types get Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, it is very common among them - Thunderbolt being more common than Focus Blast. I want peoples opinions on this though - I'd be happy to remove them if people think that its a stretch. As for moves removed, I basically just removed most of the Flying-type moves, bar the ones Combee learns (as I think it should probably stay Bug / Flying - afterall, it is merely a drone and not the queen bee). Finally, to tie in the whole hive mind thing, Unnerve is replaced with Telepathy. In other words - a useless ability was replaced with another useless ability (Doubles not withstanding - its actually kind of really cool there).
New Moves: Calm Mind, Psychic, Psyshock, Zen Headbutt, Stored Power, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast
Removed Moves: Air Slash, Aerial Ace, Acrobatics
Altered Abilities: Unnerve --> Telepathy

Name(s): Venomoth
Type: Bug/Psychic
Justification: This may sound weird, but it may fit more of a Psychic type. Moths can be seen with psychic powers in some storys and the fact it has some Gen1 weird moveset syndromes.
New Moves: Calm Mind, Psyshock, Future Sight, Confusion, Stored Power, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast

Name(s): Butterfree
Justification: Butterfree already learns several Psychic moves via level-up and TM, learning Confusion as soon as it evolves and Psybeam later on. Compared to other butterfly Pokemon like Beautifly, it looks more ethereal and otherworldly, and its French name incorporates the word "illusion". Like many Psychic types, its highest stat is Special Attack, followed by Special Defense.
New Moves: Psyshock, Calm Mind, Stored Power, Reflect, Light Screen, Trick Room
Removed Moves: Gust, Air Cutter

Name(s): Volbeat and Illumise
Justification: They have Prankster, that is very rare to be seen on Bug types, but less rare in Psychic type (Meowstic), and also they have a very poor amount of status type moves to use. Giving them priority Sleep would give them the possibility to find a spot even in OU.
New Moves: Psychic, Psybeam, Confusion, Calm Mind, Hypnosis, Psyshock, Dream Eater, Extrasensory, Cosmic Power, Trick, Heal Pulse, Ally Switch, Mirror Coat

Name(s):
Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus
Type: Psychic/Bug
Justification: Alright this one's a bit odd but hear me out. The Solosis line are all based on single-celled organisms, harmful ones of which are referred to as "bugs." In fact Reuniclus is capable of learning Infestation, indeed suggesting that these Pokemon are in fact capable of infecting others! They can also learn Signal Beam, which is admittedly not a rarity among Psychic-types, but still. And even if one considers the pun on bug to be silly, I would like to point out that Game Freak isn't above using puns and bad jokes when designing Pokemon; Heatmor, an aardvark, learns Bug Bite through level-up.
New Moves: Bug Buzz, Silver Wind, Powder
Removed Moves: N/A
Altered Abilities: N/A

Name(s): Ledian
Justification: Ledian's Dex entry mentions how its power is connected with the stars in the sky (starlight as energy), and as we see with Pokemon like Beheeyem, Deoxys, Lunatone, Solrock and Gothitelle, usually stars/space-related Pokemon are more likely to be Psychic type so it seems plausible for Ledian to be one. It also has a an alien-inspired face design and since Beheeyem the alien-inspired Pokemon is Psychic type. A quick look at Ledian's current movepool also shows a lot of screen-related moves such as Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard which seems pretty Psychic-related. It can already learn Agility as a Psychic move and Psybeam as an Egg move. I added the usual moves Psychics get from TMs/Move Tutors like Psychic, Trick, Trick Room, Psyshock etc. and also some flavour-related moves like Cosmic Power and Barrier/Mirror Coat/Magic Coat to expand to the screens theme of the current movepool. To also expand on the Baton Pass-directioned movepool I also added Stored Power. Stat-wise it is also more specially-orientated with a strangely huge Special Defense stat. For some reason Iron Fist was given as a hidden ability which boosts its lowest stat of Attack (base 35!?) and since Psychics aren't known for their fists, I changed it to something more Psychic-related. It didn't really have any useful Flying STABs before anyway so they were omitted. I want to give it Magic Guard to go with its Baton Passer movepool (space-themed Clefairy has it and Psychics like Sigilyph/Alakazam also get it) but if that's too wishlisty maybe Levitate works as a slight nod to its old typing. (Let me know if Magic Guard ain't okay)
New Moves: Psychic, Cosmic Power, Barrier, Trick, Stored Power, Trick Room, Psyshock, Mirror Coat, Power Split, Magic Coat, Gravity, Extrasensory, Hypnosis, Calm Mind, Zen Headbutt
Removed Moves: Aerial Ace, Acrobatics
Altered Abilities: Iron Fist -> Magic Guard/Levitate

Name(s): Elgyem, Beheeyem
Justification: ALIENS! With their exoskeletons and bizarre alien powers and general alien-ness!
New Moves: Bug Bite (No exceptions), Struggle Bug (No fully evolved exceptions), Bug Buzz. (No fully evolved Specially-oriented Bug lacks it)

Name(s): Dustox
Type: Bug / Dark
Justification: Bug / Dark fits Dustox as it's a moth and they are nocturnal, or only active in the dark and is the same in its pokedex entries. It doesn't look like a poison type to me, and also this doesn't cause any changes to its ability. It looks like the "dark" and ugly counterpart to Beautifly, being spiteful. The dark moves are standard, and the poison moves are poison moves. Venoshock is kept since non-poison types like Butterfree can learn it. I'm considering not removing Sludge Bomb and adding either Competitive or Moxie. Competing with Beautifly or adding Moxie because its a bit common on dark-type mons. For now, Competitive. Still probably shit
New Moves: Dark Pulse, Snarl, Pursuit, Nasty Plot, Switcheroo, Embargo, Taunt
Removed Moves: Sludge Bomb, Poison Powder, Poison Sting
Altered Abilities:Shield Dust ---> Competitive

Name(s): Mega Beedrill
Type: Bug / Dark
Justification: This bee is extremely evil looking, especially in it's mega.
New Moves: Sucker Punch, Night Slash, Dark Pulse, Quash, Snatch, Megahorn.
Removed Moves: none.

Name(s): Accelgor
Type: Bug/Dark
Justification: Ninjas associate themselves with the darkness, and the boss ninja himself Greninja is Dark type. That aside, just look at this guy! Tell me it doesn't look shady -- its true face is obscured in shadow. It also bothers me that Escavalier gets a dual typing and Accelgor doesn't.
New Moves: Dark Pulse, Knock Off, Nasty Plot, Night Slash, Pursuit, Thief

Name(s): Ninjask
Justification: It's based off a ninja, often associated with the Dark type (see Greninja), and already learns some Dark-type moves. Also, black is one of the main colors of its artwork.
New Moves: Pursuit, Dark Pulse, Knock Off, Shadow Sneak, Memento, Taunt, Switcheroo
Removed Moves: Gust

Name(s):
Spinarak, Ariados
Justification: In the generation they were first released in, Spinarak and Ariados were only available at night, suggesting they are nocturnal. In addition, both can learn a variety of Dark-type moves, including Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Night Slash, AND Foul Play. Bug/Poison is a horribly common type, and Bug/Dark would actually be a somewhat better combination for it, with Bug neutralizing two of Dark's weaknesses instead of just one of Poison's.
New Moves: N/A, Ariados already has a great Dark-type movepool.
Removed Moves: N/A
Altered Abilities: N/A

Name(s): Pinsir
Justification: I don't know about you guys but back then, Pinsir had the meanest and fiercest design for a Bug type and with those intimidating horns and sideways mouth, it's very plausible to see Pinsir as a part-Dark type. Crushing something between the pincers until they're cut in half sounds very Dark type to me. It already learns a few Dark type moves like Knock Off, Thief, Feint Attack and Fling and STAB Knock Off is always welcome. I'm actually surprised it doesn't learn Crunch- those pincers could definitely crunch something into pieces! By extension, I'd give it Bite as well just because look at that mean mouth and tell me a bite from that won't hurt! The added type will also be an interesting opposite to its beetle counterpart Heracross and even if loses initially, it's Mega Evolution can quickly turn the tides against the Bug/Fighting enemy! That's right, I think I might keep Mega Pinsir Bug/Flying as it is since its wings are so prominent in the design. I supposed it will be a nice surprise when the opponent wants to go for a super effective Bug move only to be thrown off by the Flying type switch during the Mega Evolution.
New Moves: Bite, Crunch, Assurance, Foul Play, Hone Claws, Payback, Night Slash, Pursuit, Sucker Punch

Name(s):
Drapion
Justification: Honestly, it's always bothered me that Drapion abandons the accouterments of its prior form's Poison typing (The stinging tail becomes, essentially, a third arm) while remaining very Bug-like (Shell, claws, resembles some kind of mutant scorpion), and yet it retains its Poison typing rather than its Bug typing. Really? The only thing particularly Poison-ish about it is its coloration, and there's a decent pool of Pokemon that fall well outside the usual range of colors for their typing.
New Moves: None.

Name(s): Mothim
Justification: Mothim is one of the few Bug-types with black coloration, and dex entries state it hunts around at Night, both being associated with the Dark-type. It is also known to steal honey, and the move 'Thief' is Dark-type.
New Moves: Dark Pulse, Knock Off, Pursuit, Snatch
Removed Moves: Air Cutter, Aerial Ace, Acrobatics

The deadline is one week from now, Sunday September 6th.

SLATE 5: "FIRE EMBLEM"

The fifth submissions slate has started! Submit Pokemon for the three following type combinations:

Fire + Ice
Fire + Grass
Fire + Fairy

Read the guidelines if you haven't already. If you missed the submission template, here it is:

Name(s):
Type:
Justification:
New Moves:
Removed Moves:
Altered Abilities:

The deadline is one week from now: Sunday September 6th at midnight.

Name(s): Ninetales
Type: Fire/Fairy
Justification: Ninetales is based on a kitsune, and from what I see Fairy-type are commonly assosciated w/ youkai and mythical creatures, so yeah.
New Moves: Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Misty Terrain, Play Rough

Name(s):
Gourgeist
Type: Grass/Fire
Justification: It's a Jack-o'-lantern, duh. It also learns a lot of fire-type moves naturally, and good thing Trevenant shares its typing :P
New Moves: Fire Blast, Overheat, Fire Punch
Removed Moves: Phantom Force, Shadow Sneak

Name(s): Octillery
Type: Fire/Ice
Justification: Octillery is about the closest I can think of to be a Fire/Ice type, It's a cannon, which justifies the Fire-type, and there's an octopus species called Pareledone charcoti which happens to live around Antartic.
New Moves: Overheat, Ice Shard, Freeze-Dry, Frost Breath, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Flame Burst
Removed Moves: Waterfall

Hmm, interesting combinations this time. Also congrats to the winners of the last slate, MegaBanette sounds real good right now! I wonder how much of a lead Mismagius had against other Ghost/Fairy nominations, the stat nerd in me would love to see vote counts for all the slates become a regular thing just because I like some other unexpected/creative nominations. :)

Name(s):
Victini
Justification: Victini's appearance is very fairy-like and the concept of it being a rare being that helps you bring victory sounds like a rare fairy to me. I actually think if Gen 5 introduced the Fairy type, it would replace Psychic because the Psychic part just seems random and tacked on to me because all the other pixies (Mew, Celebi) are Psychic. It also already learns Dazzling Gleam.
New Moves: Moonblast, Play Nice, Disarming Voice, Play Rough, Baby Doll Eyes
Removed Moves: Confusion, Zen Headbutt, Stored Power, Psyshock
Altered Abilities: +Competitive, +Defiant (fits with the striving for victory idea)

Name(s): Sunflora
Justification: The whole Sunflower theme features the idea of the Sun which in this game Sunny Day equals Fire so Sunflora with it's Sun-shaped heads makes sense. It also evolves from a Sun Stone! I think Sunkern is best left as a Grass type as it's when it gets the power of the Sun that it will harness the Fire type powers.
New Moves: Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Ember, Flame Charge, Overheat, Incinerate, Will-o-wisp, Heat Wave

Last edited:
I'm updating the OP with new rules and clarifications. Here's what changed:

-Your Pokemon submission cannot have been banned from OU unless you believe your changes would make it OU legal (argue this point in your submission)
-If a Pokemon you want to change has a unique typing when not considering Ubers Pokemon, they are not a valid submission (ex: Mega Charizard X is invalid because Reshiram is the only other Dragon + Fire Pokemon)
-You can only change an ability if the old ability is no longer fitting the new type, regardless of how fitting the new ability is (this was always the case but now I'm making it clearer)
-If a non-Mega Pokemon has fewer than 3 abilities, you may freely add abilities fitting the new type until it has 3

The first three are just clarifying existing rules. The fourth, however, is a pretty big change. My issue with changing abilities before was that people were removing abilities that still fit just because another one fit slightly better. That's a dangerous road, and it risked eroding a Pokemon's existing identity. It can also do a lot more for ruining balance than moveset additions. However, if you simply add an ability, you aren't changing anything that already exists. Because of this, I will allow previous winners to add abilities to their winning submissions if they so choose. Just send me a PM and I'll add it to the second post.

Sorry if this was mentioned in the first post somewhere- can you post the same pokemon + typing as someone before you, if you have a different idea for other changes (different movepool, ability, whatever)? I saw people reserving so I wasnt sure
Yes, you technically can, but I've shot down all attempts in the past. The reason I have that option in the first place is so someone can't nab an obvious idea early but flub the submission. Like, if someone submitted Yanmega for Bug/Dragon but gave it Dark Void and Fire Punch, removed Bug Buzz and changed Tinted Lens to Huge Power. That hasn't really happened yet, but I'll allow re-submissions from new people if basically the only similarity between your entries is the type.
I wonder how much of a lead Mismagius had against other Ghost/Fairy nominations, the stat nerd in me would love to see vote counts for all the slates become a regular thing just because I like some other unexpected/creative nominations. :)
I plan to make it regular, I just had to leave after I posted the winners and didn't have time to upload. Here is the document. The answer: Mismagius won in pretty much the biggest landslide we've had. Second place was 17 points away.

I'm updating the OP with new rules and clarifications. Here's what changed:
-If a non-Mega Pokemon has fewer than 3 abilities, you may freely add abilities fitting the new type until it has 3
Ooh well that's an interesting addition. Would be interesting for all the currently Levitate-only Pokemon like Weezing and Eelektross, although Levitate is a nice ability for them as it is.

Is this also the case for single-ability only legendaries like say Mew/Regigigas/Victini/Keldeo as well?

Also I guess it's too late to add abilities for the current Bug voting right now and just wait for the winner to add abilities if they win?

Ooh well that's an interesting addition. Would be interesting for all the currently Levitate-only Pokemon like Weezing and Eelektross, although Levitate is a nice ability for them as it is.

Is this also the case for single-ability only legendaries like say Mew/Regigigas/Victini/Keldeo as well?

Also I guess it's too late to add abilities for the current Bug voting right now and just wait for the winner to add abilities if they win?
Since there are also multi-ability legendaries, I'll allow it. Cases like Regigigas are a little shady so I'll say if a Pokemon's identity revolves around having one ability (Archeops, Aegislash, etc.) then you probably shouldn't add others. And yeah, its a little too late for Bug. Winners are free to add abilities next week.

I'm also submitting.

Name(s):
Cryogonal
Type: Ice/Fire
Justification: I included the shiny form because it makes it clear that the glowing bits inside Cryogonal are not merely a part of its icy exterior -- they're glowing balls of light (red in the shiny form, like fire). You might think that's a stretch until you realize that Cryogonal learns Solar Beam...via level-up. No other Ice type can claim this, and the only other ones that learn it at all (via TM) are Snover and Abomasnow, two Grass types. Solar Beam is almost exclusively learned by Pokemon that associate themselves with light, which is in turn represented by fire. This all makes more sense when you realize that in order to drain the temperature to -148 it as its dex entries describe, it's probably absorbing energy (or heat) into itself. Beyond merely representing cold, Cryogonal represents temperature, so Ice + Fire is the perfect fit.
New Moves: Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Ember, Will o' Wisp, Fire Spin, Sunny Day, Overheat
Altered Abilities: +Flash Fire, +Solar Power

Name(s): (Mega) Venusaur (+Ivysaur, Bulbasaur)
Type: Grass/Fire (Ivysaur and Bulbasaur are pure Grass)
Justification: Oddly enough, most of Venusaur's recent dex entries reference gaining great power from sunlight, but nothing about poison. This is represented by Chlorophyll and Weather Ball as well. As a Pokemon so tied to the sun, Fire is a better fit than Poison.
New Moves: Fireblast, Ember, Flare Blitz, Flamethrower, Overheat, Flame Charge
Altered Abilities: None (starters traditionally only have two, didn't want something unfitting for pre-evos)

Name(s): Delphox
Justification: Magic and mysticism are just as fair game for Fairy as they are Psychic, as fellow witch Ghost/Fairy Mismagius just proved. It's "signature" ability Magician is also found on Klefki, another Fairy type. It keeps much of its Psychic attacks simply because a lot of other Fairies still have them, but the utility typically seen only on Psychics is gone.
New Moves: Moonblast, Moonlight
Removed Moves: Psybeam, Skill Swap, Zen Headbutt, Wonder Room Magic Room

Last edited:

Name(s):
Rapidash
Justification: Rapidash is obviously partially based on the mythological Unicorn, which has connotations to Fairy Tales, thus suiting the Fairy-type. It is also based on various fiery mythological steeds.
New Moves: Dazzling Gleam, Moonblast, Play Rough

Name(s): Bellossom
Justification: It evolves with the sun stone, and the sun is associated with Fire. It also has red colouration which most Fire-types tend to have. Its dex entries also mention how it dances to bring out the sun. It is also, so far, the only Pokemon to lose one of its types apon evolution, and giving it the Fire-type will remove it of that unlikeness.
New Moves: Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Ember, Flame Charge, Overheat, Incinerate, Will-o-wisp, Fiery Dance, Fire Spin
Altered Abilities: +Drought, -Healer

Name(s): Weavile
Justification: I would've possibly added Sneasel, but the Ice/Dark dual typing must stay alive! This may seem like an odd choice at first, but here me out. Sneasel and Weavile are the only non-legendary, natural Ice-types that learn Sunny Day (apart from Glaceon, which I won't type-change). Weavile also has red-ish colouration, more so than Sneasel, which is associated with the Fire-type.
New Moves: Blaze Kick, Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Fire Fang, Fire Punch, Flare Blitz, Overheat, Will-o-Wisp
Removed Moves: Assurance (not sure I can remove any more because of Sneasel)

Last edited:

Name(s):
Rapidash
Justification: Rapidash is obviously partially based on the mythological Unicorn, which has connotations to Fairy Tales, thus suiting the Fairy-type. It is also based on various fiery mythological steeds.
New Moves: Dazzling Gleam, Moonblast, Play Rough

Name(s): Bellossom
Justification: It evolves with the sun stone, and the sun is associated with Fire. It also has red colouration which most Fire-types tend to have. Its dex entries also mention how it dances to bring out the sun. It is also, so far, the only Pokemon to lose one of its types apon evolution, and giving it the Fire-type will remove it of that unlikeness.
New Moves: Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Ember, Flame Charge, Overheat, Incinerate, Will-o-wisp, Fiery Dance, Fire Spin

Name(s): Weavile
Justification: I would've possibly added Sneasel, but the Ice/Dark dual typing must stay alive! This may seem like an odd choice at first, but here me out. Sneasel and Weavile are the only non-legendary, natural Ice-types that learn Sunny Day (apart from Glaceon, which I won't type-change). Weavile also has red-ish colouration, more so than Sneasel, which is associated with the Fire-type.
New Moves: Blaze Kick, Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Fire Fang, Fire Punch, Flare Blitz, Overheat, Will-o-Wisp
Removed Moves: Assurance (not sure I can remove any more because of Sneasel)
Why don't you give Bellossom Drought? It would be a way of giving it a place in OU.

Name(s):
Arcanine
Justification: Arcanine is said to be "legendary" and "majestic", and its design draws basis from two mythlogical creatures.
New Moves: Play Rough, Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam

Last edited:
I'd like to point out, in regards to Cofagrigus lacking Stealth Rock, that literally every Rock type in the game gets Stealth Rock, no exceptions.

Why Ice? Well first of all, it is said Solrock came from outer space, which is a really cold place.
The biggest problem for an active spacecraft is overheating, actually. Space isn't cold in any meaningful sense, really. You need mass to suck away heat.

Name(s): Moltres
Justification: There are numerous Pokemon that fly -or even are bird-like Pokemon- without being the Flying type, as well as many Pokemon that are Flying, another type, and are missing out on some third type you'd expect them to have. Moltres, more specifically, is likely based off one or more myths about Phoenix-esque flaming birds of rebirth. (Possibly including the Phoenix most Westerners think of) While its trio are all Flying birds, there are Legendary trios with oddballs -such as Tornadus being the only member of its trio that is a pure type, and it's not even the leader of its trio. (That's Landorus) Myths=Fairies, to some extent.
New Moves: Dazzling Gleam, Moon Blast.
Removed Moves: None. (Blaziken has Brave Bird, among other moves, in spite of not being Flying type)

Name(s): Cacturne (Cacnea remains pure Grass)
Type: Fire/Grass
Justification: It's a dried out desert plant that loves to hang out in the blazing sun. Sure, it's also a creepy stalker cactus, but I can see it as a Fire type readily enough.
New Moves: Fire Punch, Will O Wisp (Castform-Sunny is the only exception), Flamethrower, Fire Blast (Previous two: Rotom-Heat is the only exception), Flame Charge (Heatmor is the only always-a-Fire type case that lacks it), Heat Wave (Only Groudon-Primal, Castform-Sunny, and Rotom-Heat lack it, none of whom is baseline a Fire type), and Incinerate. (Again, Rotom-Heat is the only exception), Overheat (Rotom-Heat and, again, Heatmor are the only exceptions)
Removed Moves: Sucker Punch, Switcheroo, Dark Pulse, Foul Play.

Name(s): Inkay, Malamar
Justification: Because Malamar is contrary as all get-out! It's all about upside-down, that's-not-how-things-work logic. It's already an undersea squid that isn't a Water type -now it's an undersea squid infused with the freezing temperatures of the deepest sea, ready to lash out with fire and ice to protect itself. Or just to screw with people, because it's still the closest the series has ever come to an actively malevolent Pokemon.
New Moves: Will O Wisp (Castform-Sunny is the only exception), Flamethrower, Fire Blast (Previous two: Rotom-Heat is the only exception), Flame Charge (Heatmor is the only always-a-Fire type case that lacks it), Heat Wave (Only Groudon-Primal, Castform-Sunny, and Rotom-Heat lack it, none of whom is baseline a Fire type), Incinerate (Again, Rotom-Heat is the only exception), Overheat (Rotom-Heat and, again, Heatmor are the only exceptions), Ice Beam, Blizzard, Avalanche (Nearly universal, and Malamar gets Rock Slide), Hail, Icy Wind, Ice Shard.
Removed Moves: Psycho Cut, Psychic, Calm Mind, Psyshock, Reflect, Hypnosis, Power Split, Psybeam, Psywave, Role Play, Dark Pulse.

Yeah Fire types have a lot of "gimme"s.

I'd like to point out, in regards to Cofagrigus lacking Stealth Rock, that literally every Rock type in the game gets Stealth Rock, no exceptions.
I'm probably planning on doing a final pass before I code this to give the winning submissions moves they literally have no reason not to have. Maybe I can find a list of moves that (mostly) every Pokemon of a type get, we'll see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)