Resource Union Street - Casual Discussion Thread

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
it (and trapping) say this now
The subject can't be declared for manual switching during Switching Phases.

edit: to clarify, the effect of the switching/phazing markers can't work as effects on those markers, due to the plethera of arena effects that say something like of "the effects of X pokemon are ignored" — it would ignore the markers on them due to effect inheritence (r3.4)

Last edited:
it (and trapping) say this now
The subject can't be declared for manual switching during Switching Phases.

edit: to clarify, the effect of the switching/phazing markers can't work as effects on those markers, due to the plethera of arena effects that say something like of "the effects of X pokemon are ignored" — it would ignore the markers on them due to effect inheritence (r3.4)
Soooooooo this means a Pokemon with a Switching Marker under the effect of Partial Trapping will still be switched out (not manually). Thanks for the clarification!

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
sleepless day? that means it's time for an "on our radar" post for june:

Awful Pokemon
Work targeting them will continue. We're seeing what parts of the game are hard to interact with (like backpacks) and deciding if there's any way they can be meaningfully interacted with, without being un-interactable themselves. For example, an effect that steals an item from backpacks actually secretly says "You have to buy two of an item if it's important for your strategy," so it fails the prompt in several ways.

Such work will probably only see the light of day when it can pair an lackluster mon or set of mons with a job in the metagame that needs doing, going forward. We can only staple power bonuses or rank increases to so many abilities before they become hard to track.

And frankly, some existing "fanfiction" power bonuses or rank increases are being looked at to see if they couldn't be doing something more intentionally designed. Feel free to sound off with any thoughts.

Accuracy
No, this isn't ability nerfs. We've played with the idea of making Accuracy calculations additive so you don't have to divide by 3 so many times, every time. This would probably involve some kind of pass through the existing Accuracy-modifying effects in the game.

We're not really looking to mess with any move parameters sourced from in-game — Air Slash will retain its charming and enjoyable 5% default miss chance. But it would be nice if modifiers raised or lowered this chance in nice, clean multiples of 5, wouldn't it?

Numbers Work
It's time to rework numbers, overall, as a concept.

(Kind of.)

When referring to numeric values, throughout the handbook and DAT, there's a lot of sloppy usage of terms like "base", "final", "original" and so on. This is not great for a lot of reasons, because people aren't all on the same page as for what they think these terms mean in a vacuum, much less when they're used together.

Defining these terms would require a slow, manual review of most instances of numeric modifiers in effect text and rules. Blissfully, power bonuses and penalties are both plentiful and are the exception — They already have their neatly defined home in damage calculation, making them a good model for what other such terms would be like.

Circuit Time Rules
We're aware that too many of you are busy with non-BBP activities (for some reason) to sign up for Circuit, and have been looking into alternative time rules in search of one that we don't hate. Crucially, it has to leave some degree of leeway for our refs.

If one should exist, it may be experimented with as early as July Circuit.

that's all i can think of, right now. have fun guessing which facility is closest to release!

Last edited:
How would people feel about forcibly ending all outstanding Harvest Usurper's Arrogance runs? There's a few of them out there that are still going and just need to be finished so the full set of 30 achievements can be tallied.
Being one of the final runs would it be ok to wait until me/spea finish this wave? It shouldn’t take too long and I want the counters

How would people feel about forcibly ending all outstanding Harvest Usurper's Arrogance runs? There's a few of them out there that are still going and just need to be finished so the full set of 30 achievements can be tallied.
I'd prefer to play out Gold's and my run; it would be difficult for us to survive for longer than another few waves. We would need a subref though, as Ooraloo's been missing from the forums for a couple of months.

By the way, has anyone kept track of the community's achievement progress this year?

Last edited:

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
frankly i've been waiting for you guys to finish before i do any tallying (or ask others to do any tallying)

edit: and I was content to let you guys cook up to the year mark while we figure out what we want to do to replace "high-effort events that we throw away after one use"

Very late but honestly weirdly enough i was thinking about that one buff that was considered for non-native huge power where it was a 1.5 boost rather than just +3 attack rank

In comparison to choice band it only lasts 6 turns (which is still pretty huge) and you have to also run a mon with huge power (most of them are pretty alright though).

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
Do signature Z-Moves now cost 1 Tech per use, the same as generic Z-Moves? If so, this means that Mimikyu, Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, and possibly some others have no reason to be using their signature Z-Crystals rather than the generic type equivalents. The BAP of their signature Z-Moves is at most 2 more than the BAP of their best generic Z-Moves of that type, and they lose out on the final damage bonus that the generic crystals provide.

EDIT: To be clear, in 11.5c of the Handbook it specifies that generic Z-Moves cost 1 Tech per use, and for signature Z-Moves does not specify anything. Elsewhere, it says that using Advanced Techniques typically costs 1 Tech, but this is the type of situation where something else could plausibly apply. I don't feel like I know what RAW is, and I also have trouble believing RAI is that lots of mons that get sig Z-Moves will never have reason to use them.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
posting this here to get all my thoughts out so i can think of some other stuff. here is my definitive level 1 realgam guide

items
oran is excellent and i always bring it. the muscle band/wise glasses you start with are generally decent but suboptimal in my experience. if your mon has a high attack or special attack rank, shoot for choice band or specs. if you have low attacking stats but high defenses, go for leftovers or attack-boosting berries (kelpsy/hondew). berries are hella cheap so you should be spamming them early game (sitrus/enigma are good), plus consumable spam is generally a lot of fun cause it leads to exciting games where you find opportunities to switch out. if all your stats are low then get lucky egg.

besides that you don't really need much else, eject button/red card are good for regen users and matchup control (which i will elaborate on later) and you can also play around with stuff like shell bell ebelt exp share, these are good in certain situations but obviously you need a way to get into those situations. make a plan, it's your game not mine

general strategy
try to make sure that you have a mon that matches up well into every possible opposing slot. additionally you don't want any of your mons to be overloaded. if you have 1 mon tasked with answering two threats then you will often just lose. your ideal situation is that each of your 3 mons can go equal to better against an opposing mon. when building i like starting with a mon that matches up generally well vs everything, cause then it's very easy to fit in more niche stuff.

for example against shauna here i started with drapion who wins vs the fairy, is slightly better into the starter, and only really loses to furfrou-diamond, then sawk was added to trade into the furfrou/goodra slot and i could fit non-imposter ditto, a generally ridiculous mon who's slightly worse into most things and terrible into any taunt mon, as the third.

you get second send always which is a pretty sizable advantage in level 1. at team preview you should be assigning each of your mons an appropriate role in the game (who do i want this in vs?), ideally with some flexibility so opposing red card or hax don't completely throw you off.

inevitably you will lose control of the matchup at some point. the most straightforward way for this to happen is you knock out a mon and the next guy comes in to take you out, or the ref has red card. if this is too threatening for your team, bring your own eject button/red card and hard switch to a mon with it so you can take back control. this is resource-intensive though so it's best to just go with the flow and slowly maneuver your way to good control again if you can.

hard switches from the ref are almost never threatening if you have an answer to the mon coming in. just counterswitch and they're back to square one.

sim overview
tierno (talonflame/oricorio, roserade/lilligant-hisui, mr. rime/crawdaunt) is one of the scarier sims primarily due to sleep powder grasses, who are hard to answer at level 1 unless you bring chesto berry, and also have other tricks in the form of hustle lilligant/poison point roserade. i think the best strategy is to spam grass answers so you can never get forced into an awkward position by these two. the dances are generally not scary post-nerf. talonflame/oricorio struggle in most neutral matchups although talon can burn you which is a little annoying. the rime/daunt slot is whatever.

trevor (raichu/florges, clawitzer/dragalge, aerodactyl/aurorus/tyrantrum) has the fossil slot (aero/tyrant/aurorus), so you'd think you can just bring a water or whatever but in practice this doesn't work because they get chewed up by tyrantrum and also lose to the other slots, and having a dead slot in realgams is generally very, very bad. the fossils generally have a fair bit of sauce and can overpower your answers with stuff like weakness policy aurorus. i think it's best to focus on exploiting the first two slots and going even vs the fossil.

shauna (furfrou/goodra, aromatisse/slurpuff, chesnaught/delphox/greninja) has a fairly sauce-less fairy-type that you can trade into if your mon has a poor matchup vs other things, but said other things are also scary. furfrou/goodra is actually extremely strong and will put up a fight even in a type disadvantage. delphox has fire gem flamethrower which hits for a billion and takes your item after, gren is gren. the two main strategies here are 1) have slot 1 and slot 3 covered, then trade your worst mon into the fairy, and 2) overwhelm the fairy with a steel or poison then frantically try not to die to the other two (see this match).

team star (2 of dark + klawf, fire + bombirdier, poison + orthworm, fairy + brambleghast, fighting + veluza) makes you learn doubles. matchups are mechanically different here so you will have to adjust your play accordingly, but the core principle of having a punish for each opposing mon holds. also important to note that first order can actually be very annoying here unlike in singles, although the ref's gen 9 mons don't have too many tricks. status such as burn and paralysis is extremely strong into team star, who has no clerics and no immunities besides schedar into burn.

leveling up bad mons
some people (myself included) choose to get a little silly with their mon selection. the question of how to make these mons meaningfully participate in the game is an age-old one, but at level 1 not exceptionally hard to answer because mons mostly do the same thing within their type. so i will just list every type and where you should bring the mon.

normal: absolutely take these into shauna. they can take their chances with furfrou/goodra if they have a decent attacking stat, but more relevant is the fact that they actually do very well into gren. the strongest attack with protean is the unconvincing brick break, meaning you can go for an even trade with even mediocre mons such as pre-toxic boost zangoose or lucky egg linoone/bibarel (who will be using thunder wave + tbolt). of course if neither of these pan out you can always just go for the fairy.

fire: even the most humble of fires generally have an attacking stat sufficient for melting tierno's grasses. bring life orb if you want for extra power. mons that risk a bad matchup such as the heart guy into roserade or pyroar into lilligant can still generally get it done. you can also try bringing these guys to team star to wisp everything, just watch out for schedar + rocky payload bombirdier and veluza. veluza is always scary

water: as i discussed earlier don't bring these into trevor with the sole idea of beating the fossil (though if you can fight the other slots they do fine, i'm bringing gorebyss with the idea of beating slot 2 for instance). they do generally well into team star; brambleghast is typically one of the less scary opponents, and you can dish out damage with rain dance into surf even if you're literally lucky egg luvdisc. the 2 things to note are 1) bring damage-boosting if you can so you aren't a passive loser that slowly dies to poison 2) have a teammate who can eat surfs so you aren't reliant on water pulse to deal damage. physical waters will struggle more due to high def on starmobiles/orthworm/etc but liquidation is a good move, you'll be fine

grass: stay away from tierno. if you have sleep powder you can take on shauna (beware team star, starmobiles have overcoat and are immune), if you don't have sleep powder just try to beat trevor's first slot. razor claw leaf blade will hurt florges and raichu struggles to do anything. of course dragalge and some of the fossils just own you so don't expect to get much better than a 1-for-1.

electric: paralysis is broken in level 1. even extremely unserious mons like pachirisu can either outright beat tierno's bird or stay around forever vs team star paralyzing everyone while an aggressive partner simply feasts. thunder shock is there for even more fun. i would say mostly leave shauna and trevor alone as they have clerics to ruin your fun.

bug: these are good into tierno as long as you can withstand fiery dance. you beat slot 3 unless you're bug/flying or bug/fire, in which case you just go for the grasses, or you're bug/rock, in which case you beat the birds.

fighting: it's very very hard to find one of these that isn't at least decent at punching things. these do alright vs the trevor fossil and shauna's slot 1 but generally require more thoughtful building. they win less hard vs things but also lose less hard. they're generally unfavorable vs star but if you need a counter to giacomo in particular they got you covered, and they're good at clicking rock slide.

psychic: if you have twave you can send these into tierno's grass and slap on a choice specs and this will work even if you are grumpig or chimecho. these also go well into trevor especially if you have good physical attack for florges, dragalge, hitting aurorus with fighting moves, and flinching clawitzer. generally too frail for star and don't have a clear niche into shauna though

ground: go to trevor and click eq. make sure to sub for counter. gets tricky vs everything else (watch out for team star orthworm) but vs trevor it's remarkably straightforward

rock: if you have a clickable rock slide you can fight trevor, though beware of slot 1's energy ball florges/surf raichu. most rocks should go neutral vs the fossil slot due to aero and aurorus being silly. if you have someone like carbink or stonjourner and are concerned about losing damage races, go beat up tierno's bird and get some extra damage in on rime.

dark: on paper these actually don't have any outright winning matchup spreads. looking at some of the mons you might be using like twave liepard fc persian-a and intimidate mabosstiff, these mons seem to do best in doubles especially vs star's high amount of physical attackers. as always you will have to leverage the mon to get decent consistent damage against the starmobiles.

poison: very very strong vs shauna fairy, but you get owned by diamond furfou/extrasensory gren/delphox so proceed with caution. have a ground resist for furfrou if nothing else. i observed that black sludge poisons are really annoying to kill for star cause they sit around poisoning everyone so that's another idea. of course you can always try your luck vs tierno.

flying: near-ideal matchup into tierno grasses. even someone like pidgeot or ledian will hold their own here.

steel: hard to say as there are many steels that do different things, but nearly always you should be good into trevor, you do well vs the fossils and even better into florges/dragalge if those are rolled. corrosion from dragalge is really not scary you can just switch out. if you have a double weakness like scizor or bastiodon you can consider enigma berry to increase survivability. these are surprisingly bad into shauna as you own the fairy but lose to everyone else.

ghost: if you have wisp go fight star. otherwise go to any singles sim, send out your ghost with second order, and click curse s1 so they have to take all 60 damage. curse is so good dude

ice: snow boosts your defense to surprisingly good levels vs star so if you have counterplay to schedar you're literally bing chilling. if you don't like this idea you can go fight shauna slot 1, even if you are physical you should do fine vs furfrou, and most ices also do decent vs gren

dragon: if you're special fight shauna and try to fish chesnaught delphox or furfrou (even noivern can beat all of these except specifically furfrou-star). if you're physical i don't even know who you're using, there are no bad physical dragons. the only arguable exception is cyclizar, who still does well into shauna thanks to regen + stab facade beating delphox if they burn you.

fairy: generally these are too physically frail to handle star or trevor's fossils. almost definitely best into shauna, your only outright bad matchup is delphox (and hilariously goodra if you have no play rough and can't take sludge bombs). greninja can't hit you super effectively outside of toxic combos, you own chesnaught.

alright thats all i got

Last edited:

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
i don't want to bury a really good guide any faster, but i gotta know if people are keeping up.

Would people be too confused if patches were effective "in all future rounds, except competitive matches?"

It somewhat undermines the previous thinking that everyone should be playing on the same patch with the same rules, and means we have to leave the DAT unchanged until the current Circuit matches end. But at the same time, rules should probably not change mid-Circuit match.

All thought welcome.

I think that's clear enough Lou, and I also think it makes sense. Circuit it would feel bad to potentially lose or gain a disadvantage from rules changes.

I think leaving the DAT unchanged can be a bit confusing, but luckily with the pace of circuit it doesn't take too long for them to end.

TheEver

It's beauty and rage!
is a Pre-Contributor
If I’m being honest, if it is much worse (in terms of ordering first against) than like Gallade or Gengar or anything in that ballpark, then I’ll probably just try to avoid it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)