Unpopular opinions

What frustrates me is that we have 25 years of competitive Pokemon to reference when making sets. It isn't even hard. STAB that use the stronger attacking stat good. Coverage good. Setup moves good. Stuff like Ground + Ice, Boltbeam, or Dragon + Fire has near universal coverage. Like 5 minutes on Google is all they need to find passable movesets. Either they want the games to be easy or they're completely ignorant to their own game mechanics.
It's more ironic given they outright hosted tournaments gen 1, which Hal used data from for Stadium. Then Gen 5 they had data of past comp winners scrapped

People that hate the chibiness yet were fine with Gen 4/5 OW sprites are hypocritical
Granted I like none of those, nor the chibi styles this and Lets Go did, but when it's noticeably built the same....
Personally if I were remaking 4 I'd base models on art for everything. Including not being tile based for map design glances at ORAS and LetsGo
but I'm no game designer, so meh
Yeah, I don't have a problem here either lol. Kinda like that Zelda game, right?

Tagging to get your opinions on the remake.
I think I said most I wanted in the respective threads. But I try to repeat what I said. I am not looking forward for the remakes:
- it's artstyle is kinda off putting and feels like a step back from ORAS
- Masuda is involved, so that's not good news for me
- "Faithful" sounds like we aren't going to get the Battle Frontier and a limited Dex. I miss you Platinum improvements. Also how faithful will they be? No megas? No Fairy Typing? That kind of "faithful"? I am afraid it may be too literally. Will that be Let's Go "faithful" without having Go mechanics? Not to mention, lack of fire and ice types. Flint and Candice will be screwed.

As someone who doesn't like Sinnoh but is interested about potential improvements, it seems rather disappointing. What I loved about remakes in Pokemon is that we are experiencing our childhood games with modern mechanics rather than just visual upgrades and HD enhancements.

Apparently there seem to be some stuff from Platinum that may be in the game like Porygon-Z who isn't obtainable even in the post game and an NPC that may give you the item to change Shaymin's form.

But I guess having Chibi artstyle is better than having DP run on SwSh engine as it is now. But that is just me trying to make it less disappointing to myself than it actually is. Tho I would not mind Dynamax of all mechanics to disappear.

Not sure to what extent we are allowed to discuss the upcoming games outside of their respective threads and the presents thread (if we are supposed to talk about them outside of these threads at all), so I'm putting this in a spoiler.
People that hate the chibiness yet were fine with Gen 4/5 OW sprites are hypocritical
Can't speak for anyone else, but this is how I feel about this: Back during Gen 4/5/6, having chibi overworld sprites/models was the standard, so I was fine with it back then. But in S/M, they started using full-scale overworld models instead, making it the new standard. Thus, using chibi models again feels like a step backwards to me. I was never super fond of how they used chibi models in LGP/E, though now I didn't play these games so I don't really care in the end. I was happy when S/S continued using full-scale models just like the Alola games, but now when they are using chibi models again in BD/SP, it feels like another step backwards. From that perspective, I don't see how it is hypocritical in any way. And I wouldn't go as far as to say that I hate the chibi models in BD/SP (in fact, I think the are pretty cute) I just prefer the full-scale overworld models.

I also wanted to say something about the wild area since it was mentioned recently. I agree that the concept of a wild area in the games is great, but I think the execution (so far) has been average at best. There are a lot of things I'm missing regarding the wild area, the most notable is other trainers that you can battle (more than just one breeder who shows up at a random place every time). I also wish it was more clear which Pokémon are stronger than average in the grassy areas, and that there was more to and with the wild area on the whole. Despite everything going on in the wild areas, they just feel so empty to me. Especially the one in the main game. That said, I think the IoA and CT both improved upon the concept of the wild area a little bit, so that's good. I think the wild area as a concept has the potential to be amazing, but in its current state, I feel that it is average or slightly above at best. Though I really hope they keep it and improve upon it in future games and generations.

I dislike humanoid Pokemon for the most part. But I feel it's most annoying when that applies to your starter where you are usually inserting your personality.
Each generation the starter final evolution feel like an actual character like Inciniroar will always be a wrestler and Cinderace will always be a soccer player.
It seems like the trend started with Gen 5, but there you can still argue if they are more humanoid or more the animal they are based on.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Rowlet is one of the ugliest first form starters and you cannot change my mind on this
Not even after seeing this:

As my my choice of "ugliest" Starter, hmm, it's all subjective of course and generally I have no problem but if I gotta pick:

Base Stage: Grookey (it looks like it's wearing a green morph suit, the arms and feet should have been brown like its tail and ears)
Middle Stage: Combusken (the face could have been done better), Quilladin (it's just a really awkward design), Thwackey (the morph suit got worst!)
Final Stage: Delphox (it's fur robe just looks drab), Inteleon (way too slim)

I dislike humanoid Pokemon for the most part.
(really, the humanoid starter trend needs to end. 3 gens in a row...)
I agree, I don't mind humanoid designs but they've overdone it with the Starters. GF thinks it gives them relatable personalities but if that's the intention that if you're meant to pick them by which one you relate with more doesn't that limit your choice? Let me decide what I imagine my Starter's personality is, or at the very least don't make the personality trait part of the design.

Meanwhile I'm mad they made Chikorita green cuz the anime based colors off of the old SW SGB color, and the anime rep was too strong...

Fusion Flare

Living in a TANGster paradise
is a Tiering Contributor
I think I said most I wanted in the respective threads. But I try to repeat what I said. I am not looking forward for the remakes:
- it's artstyle is kinda off putting and feels like a step back from ORAS
- Masuda is involved, so that's not good news for me
- "Faithful" sounds like we aren't going to get the Battle Frontier and a limited Dex. I miss you Platinum improvements. Also how faithful will they be? No megas? No Fairy Typing? That kind of "faithful"? I am afraid it may be too literally. Will that be Let's Go "faithful" without having Go mechanics? Not to mention, lack of fire and ice types. Flint and Candice will be screwed.

As someone who doesn't like Sinnoh but is interested about potential improvements, it seems rather disappointing. What I loved about remakes in Pokemon is that we are experiencing our childhood games with modern mechanics rather than just visual upgrades and HD enhancements.

Apparently there seem to be some stuff from Platinum that may be in the game like Porygon-Z who isn't obtainable even in the post game and an NPC that may give you the item to change Shaymin's form.

But I guess having Chibi artstyle is better than having DP run on SwSh engine as it is now. But that is just me trying to make it less disappointing to myself than it actually is. Tho I would not mind Dynamax of all mechanics to disappear.
Just pointin out, you CAN get Pory-Z before you challenge the champion, or even fight Cyrus in Spear Pillar. The Upgrade is found in Eterna City in the Galactic base, and the Dubious Disc is found in the Galactic base in Veilstone. Of course this does require not one but TWO trades, so there is a sort of limitation.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Just pointin out, you CAN get Pory-Z before you challenge the champion, or even fight Cyrus in Spear Pillar. The Upgrade is found in Eterna City in the Galactic base, and the Dubious Disc is found in the Galactic base in Veilstone. Of course this does require not one but TWO trades, so there is a sort of limitation.
You also need to get lucky and have Backlot fill his Trophy Garden with Porygon.

Fusion Flare

Living in a TANGster paradise
is a Tiering Contributor
Yes. But this was under the assumption that it was the Platinum Pokédex in the first place. I have HEAVY doubts that they’d show a Pokémon unusable until postgame. Of course, it could be likely that GF could pull a fast one on me, but I’m just gonna go with the mindset that it will be available as a gift pokemon in BD/SP

Yes. But this was under the assumption that it was the Platinum Pokédex in the first place. I have HEAVY doubts that they’d show a Pokémon unusable until postgame. Of course, it could be likely that GF could pull a fast one on me, but I’m just gonna go with the mindset that it will be available as a gift pokemon in BD/SP
Oh I was under the assumption that you were referring to the original DP for some reason

That's on me haha

Sorry about that :psynervous:

While most people would probably say they prefer Kabutops over Omastar, because it "looks cooler" or "bro, it literally has sword arms man" (this is how striaight people speak I assume), I actually prefer Omastar.

Kabutops "objectively" looks cool; it is bipedal, has gigantic scythe arms, is menacing, etc. As a result, most people would probaby prefer it over Omastar. But Omastar is a genuinely interesting take on the contemporary image of an ammonite. It's a much more nuanced design because while it follows basic ammonite anatomy to a T, its drawn in a style that is instantly recognizable as "Pokémon". When I think of Pokémon, Omastar is one of the first things that comes to my mind.

tenor.gif

It's also the more terrifying one of the two.

While most people would probably say they prefer Kabutops over Omastar, because it "looks cooler" or "bro, it literally has sword arms man" (this is how striaight people speak I assume), I actually prefer Omastar.

Kabutops "objectively" looks cool; it is bipedal, has gigantic scythe arms, is menacing, etc. As a result, most people would probaby prefer it over Omastar. But Omastar is a genuinely interesting take on the contemporary image of an ammonite. It's a much more nuanced design because while it follows basic ammonite anatomy to a T, its drawn in a style that is instantly recognizable as "Pokémon". When I think of Pokémon, Omastar is one of the first things that comes to my mind.

View attachment 319514
It's also the more terrifying one of the two.
Also it's a killer dancer, as shown

a unpopular shiny opinion. I like gen 2 purple shiny charizard more than later gen black shiny.
Current Shiny Charizard is IMO the better shiny for me because come on black is such a cool color, but Gen 2 Shiny Charizard is literally just Ridley from Metroid and I love it for that

While we're on the topic of unpopular Shiny opinions, I don't get why so many people dislike green and pink Shinies. Sure some of them ae actually downright vomit inducing (looking at you Ursaring), but there are a lot of green and pink Shinies that people hate that I love. Probably the biggest example of this for me is Espeon. It's such a nice, deep shade of emerald green, yet everybody compares it to snot. Same goes for Sharpedo; I love that shade of deep magenta, yet everybody hates on it for being pink.

Personally, the worst Shiny color for me is yellow. It's ironic because yellow is my favorite color, and there are some great yellow Shinies (Azumarill and Luxray come to mind). But there's this specific shade of yellow that looks like piss to me, and they slap it on some of my favorite Pokémon. Arcanine, Lucario, and Floatzel had so much potential for cool Shinies, and they literally made them look like they've been drenched in piss. If they had just given them the same deep gold color that they had given Azumarill and Luxray, I would love them. But no; they had to go for piss yellow.

Current Shiny Charizard is IMO the better shiny for me because come on black is such a cool color, but Gen 2 Shiny Charizard is literally just Ridley from Metroid and I love it for that

While we're on the topic of unpopular Shiny opinions, I don't get why so many people dislike green and pink Shinies. Sure some of them ae actually downright vomit inducing (looking at you Ursaring), but there are a lot of green and pink Shinies that people hate that I love. Probably the biggest example of this for me is Espeon. It's such a nice, deep shade of emerald green, yet everybody compares it to snot. Same goes for Sharpedo; I love that shade of deep magenta, yet everybody hates on it for being pink.

Personally, the worst Shiny color for me is yellow. It's ironic because yellow is my favorite color, and there are some great yellow Shinies (Azumarill and Luxray come to mind). But there's this specific shade of yellow that looks like piss to me, and they slap it on some of my favorite Pokémon. Arcanine, Lucario, and Floatzel had so much potential for cool Shinies, and they literally made them look like they've been drenched in piss. If they had just given them the same deep gold color that they had given Azumarill and Luxray, I would love them. But no; they had to go for piss yellow.
Yeah, when I was tweaking shiny colors, I noticed green was a good highlighter
Christmas tree Chansey and Clefable come to mind
Weird how dark brown is never used for shinies outside Chestnaught....who'd look better if the normal was the shiny

Weird how dark brown is never used for shinies outside Chestnaught....who'd look better if the normal was the shiny
There's also Alolan Raichu, which is also a great Shiny

But yeah, I don't think there are any other brown Shinies aside from those two. I think it's because they used to pick Shinies from computer-generated color palettes, and since dark brown is a mixture of all other colors, it very rarely shows up on computer-generated color palettes.

...Or they want to avoid having Shinies compared to poop :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)