Unpopular opinions

Thing is Farfecth'd has a really cool design imo. I can't exactly pin point why, but I really like the leek and the design. Same goes for Delibird, Dunsparce and other "useless" Pokemon, why do they all have such good damn designs?

I started off with Gen 3, so it holds a place in my heart. I know a lot of people who started off with Gen 3 as well. It may have lost a lot of old people but I remember a pretty big influx of new people to the series. It has its flaws such as an underdeveloped story and some of the characters were meh but it is one of my favourites in the series.

Reading back I'm not sure who started it but, did someone imply that Delibird's design isn't popularly considered "good"?

I love his design... combat prowess is unfortunate...

Unpopular opinion: Ash's greninja deserved to lose against Alain's Charizard. It's payback for his Charizard beating Gary's blastoise...

How popular actually is Ash-Greninja? I absolutely hate it completely and I don't know if this would be unpopular or not, but I just hate it. Everything about it screams off, not to mention its appearance in places it absolutely should not be has only fueled my hate for this thing further.
I'de deffinatly rank that unpopular... the only thing i hate about Ashninja is that its not Tibninja..

Ash-Greninja as a concept doesn't annoy me, it's the inexplicable anime reference. Why not have it be [Player Character]-Greninja or something?
The funny thing with Ash Greninja is that it happened in the past but was treated as just a myth, when it resurfaced the first to name it was actually Bonnie and the name stuck.

In real life this is quite accurate on how species get their name, even if it was recorded in an ancient writing, even if it is a bond phenomenon, the name that stuck is the one that was formally documented with Ash Greninja.

Taxonomy can get weird with their names as there is the name locals use, science use to describe its family to avoid lenguaje hiccups, and the popular name spread among the population.

Ash Greninja for better or worse is the official name, bond phenomenon is the occurrence and the first name it received was discarded or added as part of the folklore just like it happened with other cryptid species.

Chicorita is the best starter in HG and SS. It's still not great, but it's the only starter that has something going for it that common wild pokemon can't do better.

Reflect and Synthesis makes Maganium very hard to kill in-game. Body slam and a grass STAB of choice have decent coverage and deal decent damage. It's mostly the reflect plus heal that make Maganium worthwhile. It can actually deal with Withney, wich is definitely saying something. It's also phenominal on nuzlockes since it never dies.

Totodile is fairly solid but just about every water type in the game can do what Feraligatr can do just as well or better. I mean, you get a shiny gyarados so picking totodile is kind of pointless.

And then there's cyndaquil who has the most shitty movepool out of all the starters. It's only coverage moves are focus blast (which is really bad in-game) and some physical moves. I swear, I'd rather use Magcargo simply because it gets a better movepool.

I wish incineroar was fire fighting. Not that I want another fire fighting starter, but just look at him. He obviously looks like a fighting type, if you asked anyone who didn't know they would guess he's fire fighting. I don't care if he's a heel wrestler or fights dirty or whatever, the only reason they gave him the dark type is because they couldn't have 4 fire fighting starters. I think his design is fine, but Nintendo should've either changed his design to legitimately make him a fire dark or just given him fighting as a secondary type instead of dark. This seems like a cop out on their part. Anything that is described as a wrestler should be part fighting.

I'd honestly rather type variety in Incineroar. Yes it may look like a Fire/Fight but Pokemon has had strange types before and it does make sense. Diversity is good imo.

I appreciate Incineroar's Fire/Dark typing, but I love how it resembles a Fighting-type.

I don't mind Decidueye's lack of Speed. Archers weren't exactly fast in the real world, right? Also, stilt owls were more known for their stealth. Game Freak has shown a lot of their work this time around.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I appreciate Incineroar's Fire/Dark typing, but I love how it resembles a Fighting-type.
I'm of the opposite opinion. It's as if the designers only have one single idea for what a Fire starter should be like, and designed Incineroar as a run-of-the-mill, humanoid Fire/Fighting type. Then they remembered that fans have become vocal against Fire/Fighting starters, and changed the design from Tiger Mask to Tiger Mask's heel, slapped a Dark type on it, and pat themselves on the back for variety.

Incineroar's design follows the same principle - "Let's make it like a human in a costume!" - that has been around since Blaziken (although arguably Infernape is an exception - shame it shares the same typing). Incineroar does nothing really new, the Dark typing is merely a "flavour variant" of the fighter archetype. Straight fighter, dirty fighter, fighter nonetheless. Gen VI had a fighter using magic, which was at least slightly removed from the archetype, so it's sad to see them revert so far back in Gen VII. Charizard and Typhlosion prove that a Fire starter doesn't have to be a fighter to be beloved, and as there are hundreds of animals the designers can "set ablaze" to create a Fire Pokémon design, I find their use of human hybrids for four of the past five generations to be outright lazy.

Agreed. Incineroar has a poor design. If they really wanted it to be dark type, I'd say keep it on all fours, make it less humanoid. If it's dirty fighter, I think having it more resemble an animal is best, since it's not like tigers follow any specific rules in terms of fighting or are civilized. They're wild creatures. Instead, its design and typing creates an almost awkward dissonance.

What I really can't stand is that they've teased us for the last three generations by making the base form a quadruped only to have it become bipedal. Delphox makes some sense, but Emboar and Incineroar gain nothing from being bipedal.

I don't care about the past starters. My issue is with Incineroar only. It's the only starter design I've ever been legitimately disappointed by.

I think it's because the water starters don't really share the same principle behind them? Like Codraroll said, from third generation on, they were all fighters in some way, and bipedal as well, even if they weren't necessarily fighting type. Whereas with the water or grass types, the concept behind them is a bit more varied.

Maybe it's still just me, or I'm still one of the few who appreciates something about every Pokémon ever. I can't get myself to hate any of them, since they all exist in the Pokémon world (why doesn't the planet have an official name?) for a reason. If I had to choose a group of least favorites by any means, it would be the dog monsters of this franchise. I still love Rockruff, Lillipup, and related stages.

Charizard gets too much credit for being the first Fire starter, but its Mega Evolution X was intended to be a physical attacker, allowing it to fully embrace a secondary Dragon typing. Too bad it's quite painful for the human-sized lizard to do such a thing.

I don't get people's obsession with wanting the Fire starter to be a quadruped instead of a biped. I understand not wanting more Fire/Fighting-types but this is a weirdly arbitrary grievance.
Especially considering that literally no final evolution of a Fire-type starter is a quadruped. And only a few of the final evolutions of any starter are quadrupeds.

Even Serperior and Primarina, which do not fit in either, have a pose that makes them look as if they were bipeds (moreso the former).

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
z-moves are near-unviable as a whole and this generation's biggest disappointment
two of the starters have embarrassingly bad hidden abilities ("coincidentally" the only starters with signature abilities..)
primarina is a less impressive blastoise adorned with weak design/move/ability gimmicks
rockruff-normal is generic, and accelerock would've been much better on either midnight forme or almost any other rock-type mon
i'm not near as mad about the lack of new megas as i thought, and i dont think we need any more this generation
The Tapu Trio are the most impressive legendary duo/trio/quadruplet in which all members aren't mascot legendaries
Beast Boost is much less exciting and flavor-adding than individualized abilities for each ultra beast, and screws some over hard
I don't find Ash-Greninja important enough to care about

Currently Zygarde-complete gains 108 HP, gains 10 Special Attack, and loses 10 speed
If he had gained 108 HP, gained 35 attack, gained 15 speed, and lost 50 special attack, the xerneas/yveltal/zygarde trio wouldve been the coolest legendary group literally ever
aka Z-complete underwhelms me

Last edited by a moderator:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Especially considering that literally no final evolution of a Fire-type starter is a quadruped.
That's kind of the point, isn't it?

More than two thirds of all Fire-type starters have a humanoid or human-like design in their final evolution (slightly fewer if you don't count Infernape). Arguing that there should be a quadruped Fire starter isn't an argument based on precedence and traditions, it's an argument that they shouldn't keep repeating the same old thing over and over and over. Many fans, myself included, are tired of every Fire starter having an entirely animal design base for the first one or two stages, then mixing that animal with a human profession in its final stage. Why the constant need to make the final evolution humanoid? They're taking it far, too. It's not even like the starter is a human-like animal, it's more of an animal-like human. Or a "human in a costume", as you could describe them.

Litten could have stayed feline, no need for it to become a (human) wrestler. Fennekin could have stayed a fox, no need for it to become a (human) magician. Tepig could have stayed a pig or a boar, no need to make it a (human) sumo wrestler. Arguably, Infernape is fine (but for the typing), it is decidedly more animal-like than human-like. And Blaziken, well, gets a pass for being the first to start the trend. Fire/Fighting was original in its first inception, it didn't get stale until it was repeated.

Worst of all in my opinion, it seems like the trend is spreading. It was fine enough in Gen V, where the other starters were a snake and an otter, with little to no "human touch". But in Gen VI, suddenly the other starters turned into a knight and a ninja, both of which are human professions. And in Gen VII they're an archer and a mermaid/singer. At this rate, I'm expecting all the Gen VIII starters to also become human-like upon evolution, no matter what their first stages look like.

I prefer that at least some starters stay beastly, rather than always resorting to a human design basis. The number of legs isn't important. Sceptile, Charizard and Empoleon are all bipedal, and they are perfectly fine. Their designs are diverse, with different postures, design bases and abilities. The world is full of bipedal creatures that aren't humans, and the designers have done a good job of utilizing them when it comes to starters in the past. But lately, it's as if they want them all to have an upright posture, opposable thumbs, cheeks and eyebrows. The only excuse I can come up with is that it'd be easier for kids in play to pretend that they're Pokémon. The posture of the Gen I starters didn't stop us in the late nineties, though.

I think this whole designing issue is coming from the fact that, as of gen 5, Game Freak has been basing the starters around a specific theme. I can't really pinpoint gen 5 atm, but gen 6 seems to be rpg classes, gen 7...looks like more rpg classes, though you could make the argument that they're all based on circus performers. In fact, this was the theory I saw the most on Tumblr when the starters were first released. A lot of fanart for the starters final evolutions follow this concept. Rowlet was the ringmaster, Litten is the lion or tiger that jumps through flaming hoops, and Popplio is the seal. There's even an official picture of Popplio playing with a bubble like it's a ball and doing tricks. Though even if Primarina is not what most people expected, its still a performer in some sense. Incineroar is a wrestler, also a performer. Decidueye is the furthest from the concept, but archery is a sport, and I'm sure there are people who look to it for entertainment.

Having a theme amongst the starters seems to be something that the fans generally like, which is why I think Game Freak continued it. They dipped their toes in the concept before (like how in gen 1, all the starters are reptiles) but gen 5 is when they started taking it the extra mile. I personally like it as well, and I can see them continuing to do this into gen 8.

Last edited:
Sinnoh's starters were arguably based around Indian, Chinese, and Greek mythology, as they are based on the World Turtle, Sun Wukong, and Poseidon, respectively. It might be a bit of a stretch, but themes have been running in Pokémon's starters since 2006.

I don't know, this is all sounding like the "painting the target around the hole" fallacy. The only confirmed stater theme was the Kalos trio (due to the developers admitting it). The rest of these sound more like bending evidence to fit a theory.

It's Gamefreak, they do what they want.

Gen V starters were based off of different cultures, more or less. Serperior was to have a European feel to it, more specifically French (Ken Sugimori mentions the anime The Rose of Versailles as inspiration here). Emboar is meant to represent Chinese culture, even coming from the same myth that Infernape came from. And of course Samurott is meant to be Japanese, being a samurai.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)