Unpopular opinions

Some Pokemon could use an overhaul, especially ones stuck with field abilities like Illuminate and Pickup that serve no purpose in battle (or at least give them a battle mechanic along with the field mechanic).

Pickup does have an effect in battle, as I found out the hard way in my Pokemon White solo Simisear playthrough. When Pansear ate an Oran Berry during the 1st Gym Leader fight, the enemy Lillipup automatically used Pickup and got one.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of Mega Magcargo...
Not suppose to really talk about fanmade stuff, but jeez is that bad. Though for some reason they only increase its stats by 20 and dropped its Defense to 10 so that's probably why. All that said, think Magcargo would probably really like to have Solid Rock as an Ability.

Well Ultra Necrozma kinda has that, since Ultra Burst is its special variation of Mega Evolution, and then Z-Move next turn. I'm guessing it doesn't get a 100 point increase like Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion is because of that Z-Move.
Well I thought of three ways they could combine Mega & Z-Moves:

Mega Z-Move: It's a more powerful Z-Move, with what Mega Stone used affecting its Power, giving it a secondary effect, increasing priority, etc.. However the move used to initiate the Z-Move would be all used up (move doesn't have to have full PP to use Mega Z-Move, just when it's used does all the remaining PP get used up).
Mega Z-Evolution: Mega Pokemon will be stronger with different Z-Crystals effecting different stats. However Mega will have less HP (not sure how much, would by half be too much?).
Mega Z-Combination: Pokemon Mega Evolves and then uses a Z-Move. However it'll receive recoil damage (equal to half the damage it does or is that too much?).

And if they just so happen to have a Mega Stone and Z-Move for a specific Pokemon (like let's say they make a Z-Crystal for Lucario, Lucarium Z), since it's a matching pair it lessens the negative effects of whatever one you do (Mega Z-Move would only use half the remaining PP, Mega Z-Evolution won't lose as much HP, Mega Z-Combination will have recoil damage be less).

An Opportunity cost could balance it out. Instead of being able to Mega Evolve right away, you have to wait a few turns as in building energy for Mega Evolution? Pokemon with a higher BST will have to wait longer than Pokemon with a lower BST. That way, there's a higher opportunity cost for using the stronger Megas like Salamence.
Maybe? Though I think my point still stand that I think they should find a way to have multiple Mega Pokemon and Z-Moves, especially for Mega Pokemon if we'd like to have more of them be made.

But the casual games never have this kind of prediction. It doesn't matter if the Xerneas KOES you with Moonblast or Critically KOES it doesn't matter. All you can do is use a revive for the former or a full Restore for the latter. Now you can check that Primal Groudon when that Xerneas is gone. That kind of privilege rots any desire to play conservatively, making predictions without any caution, and respond to RNG and that badly prepares someone for the competitive scene.

And that's another reason why the battle facilities are a poor thing for the casual players. The game suddenly transitions from use potions when in trouble to now you need to conserve. If there's a mishap, too bad you can't use the potions we taught you so far. This is why battle facilities are a problem and discouraging for the casual player, since it takes everything from the casual side and throws it out the window.

And the potion problem isn't that hard to fix. Simply make it that Potions and healing items can't be used in-battle: Only outside of battle. I'm guessing in GF eye's, its balanced since it takes a turn and the AI use it. But being able to revive a Pokemon is a small opportunity cost for a turn. Not to mention the AI only hits certain threshold and then they use it, this can be played around. The AI only has two Potions and 0 revives as well, so its very weighted in the player's balance.
I always thought that when challenging a Gym or the Pokemon League you should be given a "Battle Bag" where you could only put a certain amount of Potions, Medicine, Revives, Ethers & Berries in (and it goes by a point system where the better items cost more points) and those are the only healing items you can use throughout the challenge (they would also have to make it so that you're unable to leave the Gym/Pokemon League unless you forfeit, but you won't get the experience and money you normally would have gotten and the whole challenge resets including Gym Trainers). While not completely preparing a player for competitive play, it does introduce that element of cautious and conservative play as you don't have access to those 99 Full Restores and Revives in your bag, you only have the 2 or 3 Full Restores or Revives (or more of a lesser Potion or Medicine which then brings its own level of cautiousness as you'll only heal for a certain amount of HP or a specific kind of status ailment). Would also make Ethers useful as, if they also make it so you can't leave the Gym without forfeiting, that means running out of PP for your strong moves might also be an actual factor. Also obviously the Gym Leader, Elite Four, Champion would be restricted to the Battle Bag limits (or maybe be allowed to have a little extra as they are the boss...).

But to give a player a taste of competitive play, I think they should have the Battle Facility available during middle main game and put some emphasis on it (maybe even outright mentioning that the rules of the Battle Facility are the same as professional battles). With the Move Tutors and able to buy some stronger battling items for BP would at the very least encourage even new players to try it out and showing them what to expect and that could very well mold their strategies to try and use less healing items, thinking about what held item their Pokemon should have, and take a second look at those Status moves they've been overlooking or weaker moves with useful secondary effects.

Grass types in general have problems, mostly due to so many other types resisting it and coming with a lot of weaknesses. The best single turn Grass attacks in the first two generations had 60 base power at best, and Leaf Blade was exclusive to the Treecko line in the GBA games. Grass types are supposed to counter Water, but Water types can have Ice moves, and some common ones have a secondary Flying or Poison type to make Grass attacks neutral.

Even with the improvements like Energy Ball and Grass Knot in the later games, my solo Roserade still had trouble with all the Flying, Poison, and Bug types in Pearl.
Another issue with Grass-types is that they're supposed to have a gimmick of passively healing/curing thanks to moves like Leech Seed, Ingrain, Aromatherapy or stronger healing in general like in Synthesis. But the problem with that is that you need to use up a move slot for each one they want to have. Also there's an issue with a lot of their Abilities and some moves being stronger in Strong Sunlight... which power-up Fire-type moves that they're weak to.
If this passive healing is a route they want the Grass-types to use they really need to add/change a few things: Give them an innate trait (like how Fire-types are immune to Burn, Ghost-types can't be trapped, Dark are immune to Prankster, etc.) to just heal 1/8th of their max HP every turn if the weather is strong sunlight or raining. Chlorophyll & Leaf Guard gives the user Fire-type resistance when Sunny Weather is active (thus countering the Fire-type move boost used against them). Similarly also have Synthesis, Solar Beam and Solar Blade grant the Pokemon that use it Fire-type resistance in Sunny Weather for at least the turn it's used on.

Absolutely. I don't even necessarily think that upping the maximum to 4 is necessarily the way to go (albeit I'm not against it), but boosting all FE Pokemon to 3 and making hidden abilities less restrictive to get. Some Pokemon could use an overhaul, especially ones stuck with field abilities like Illuminate and Pickup that serve no purpose in battle (or at least give them a battle mechanic along with the field mechanic).

I also think it's time for GameFreak to break their Levitate and nothing else clause officially. It's a great ability but good grief, give Flygon something else. Bronzor/Bronzong being the only Pokemon to break the trend after all this time is so weird.
But you see, that's the issue. GF can certainly address the 4 moves & 2-3 Abilities issue in various ways that gives more options to Pokemon and letting players use more content... but they don't want to. Don't know whether it's because they feel it's too much of a risk (I can see something like this being a fanbase splitter), it might become too overwhelming, and/or they're just not interested and prefer to focus on the newer features & mechanics even if they're going to drop it next gen. Infact many problems we have can be easily addressed with simple solutions, but GF for one reason or another don't see a reason to go back to it because they're already "done" with it and want to move on.

I feel like it's now a popular opinion to really hate Kanto and gen I in general.

No the games aren't good in terms of balance, and do have a lot of flaws, it would be hypocritical to say the games are perfect, as I do prefer other Pokemon games to the original. but I do not hate the gen I games. Red and blue where Pokemon first started. I love to look back and play the origInal games to see how far Pokemon has come as a franchise. I am by no-means a genwunner as there are titles I prefer, but I enjoy the original games for what they are.

I feel like it's now a popular opinion to really hate Kanto and gen I in general.

No the games aren't good in terms of balance, and do have a lot of flaws, it would be hypocritical to say the games are perfect, as I do prefer other Pokemon games to the original. but I do not hate the gen I games. Red and blue where Pokemon first started. I love to look back and play the origInal games to see how far Pokemon has come as a franchise. I am by no-means a genwunner as there are titles I prefer, but I enjoy the original games for what they are.
I think a lot of the "hate" the originals have received has more to do with how poorly Red/Blue have aged than anything else. Let's Go has received plenty of praise despite being a glorified Red/Blue, and the same goes for plenty of people enjoying Leafgreen/Firered.
The originals have a lot of issues and poorly explained mechanics, alongside terrible balance. Most of this has been fixed in later games, though looking back at the originals is... not pretty.

I think a lot of the "hate" the originals have received has more to do with how poorly Red/Blue have aged than anything else. Let's Go has received plenty of praise despite being a glorified Red/Blue, and the same goes for plenty of people enjoying Leafgreen/Firered.
The originals have a lot of issues and poorly explained mechanics, alongside terrible balance. Most of this has been fixed in later games, though looking back at the originals is... not pretty.
It's also residual from the backlash against Genwunners. The games don't deserve to be hated because the most obnoxious segment of the fanbase insists on defending them at the expense of (IMO) objectively superior games. After all, the franchise and fandom owes the most basic yet substantial of debts to RBY, that of its very existence. Buggy and unbalanced messes though they are, everything that came after them would not be possible without them.

(That said, they're still buggy and unbalanced messes.)

I like gen 1 for how much of a buggy mess it is. There are glitches everywhere at it's rather interesting to research them. It's interesting to see people obtain mew by the second gym or even completely change a pokemon's sprite through in game means. My favorite glitch pokemon is RB hex FA. I remember becoming very interested in it after first seeing it on Bulbapedia. Ever since it's become my favorite glitch pokemon, and one of the 4 I can remember off the top of my head.

I like gen 1 for how much of a buggy mess it is. There are glitches everywhere at it's rather interesting to research them. It's interesting to see people obtain mew by the second gym or even completely change a pokemon's sprite through in game means. My favorite glitch pokemon is RB hex FA. I remember becoming very interested in it after first seeing it on Bulbapedia. Ever since it's become my favorite glitch pokemon, and one of the 4 I can remember off the top of my head.
I agree. I find Red/Blue to be a lot more memorable to me than Fire Red/Leaf Green precisely because of the glitches.

I even tried to exploit as many as I could to reach Cinnabar Island quickly in the 3DS VC version. Especially because I accidentally pressed A on the wrong glitch item and ended up deleting my save. Twice.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think a lot of the "hate" the originals have received has more to do with how poorly Red/Blue have aged than anything else.
It's also residual from the backlash against Genwunners.
I think the hate mostly comes from GF itself pushing Gen I nostalgia HARD around the original SM's release leading up to Let's Go. Only Kanto Pokemon had Alolan Forms, the numerous references to Gen I in those games & Ultra (like the RR episode, though they had the other villain team bosses it was still Team Rocket with Giovanni in charge), at this time Gen I Pokemon were only available in Pokemon GO, and then we had Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee being a Gen I remake with ONLY the Gen I Pokemon.

Hopefully Gen 8 has moved on from Gen I pandering... though that could very well mean we'll now start seeing Gen II pandering but that remains to be seen, just preparing myself.

NEW UNPOPULAR OPINION: So... I think the idea behind Let's Go being a game for younger kids is a complete and utterly failure.

Well, at least seeing how my youngest cousin has progressed through the game. Now he had completed it and even caught Mewtwo... but turns out he barely used or fully understood any of the game's major mechanics. Now he probably use another team to beat the Elite Four & Champion as his Eevee was nearing level 60 but the current Pokemon in his party was four in their 40s (Venusaur, Articuno, Zapdos, & Aerodactyl) and the sixth being the post game Mewtwo.

After a tricky battle with Green to get the Mewtwonites, we then tried battling Blue but even with Mega Mewtwo he beat us fairly easily (though maybe with some strategy we can overcome the level issue). However I did say may be a good idea to Level up a bit and he asked me where he could find Rare Candies.

"Just go on a catching spree, then send the extra to Oak for Candies" I told him... much to his confusion. I then had to explain to him that all his Pokemon gain experience with every catch. Then I explained you then send all those extra Pokemon to Professor Oak (showing him how to do so) to get candies that then can be used to increase his Pokemon's stats. Now, he did have some candy so probably did do this at some point, but it just never clicked that the candies were meant to be used to make the Pokemon stronger. He pretty much went through the whole game just relying on experience he gained from casual catches he did and trainers he fought without using any candy.

So, yeah, ALL those changes they made to Let's Go because they wanted to give new younger players an easier time to get into the game... is complete and utter nonsense and possibly a massive underestimating of their target audience as my cousin just played through the game as if it was a normal Pokemon experience. And no, he had no Pokemon for GO either, it was all with Pokemon he caught in-game.

That all said, he does like the Pokemon following you and riding on his Aerodactyl, you know, two features they're probably not going to be including in Sword & Shield. *Heavy sigh*

I think the hate mostly comes from GF itself pushing Gen I nostalgia HARD around the original SM's release leading up to Let's Go. Only Kanto Pokemon had Alolan Forms, the numerous references to Gen I in those games & Ultra (like the RR episode, though they had the other villain team bosses it was still Team Rocket with Giovanni in charge), at this time Gen I Pokemon were only available in Pokemon GO, and then we had Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee being a Gen I remake with ONLY the Gen I Pokemon.

Hopefully Gen 8 has moved on from Gen I pandering... though that could very well mean we'll now start seeing Gen II pandering but that remains to be seen, just preparing myself.

NEW UNPOPULAR OPINION: So... I think the idea behind Let's Go being a game for younger kids is a complete and utterly failure.

Well, at least seeing how my youngest cousin has progressed through the game. Now he had completed it and even caught Mewtwo... but turns out he barely used or fully understood any of the game's major mechanics. Now he probably use another team to beat the Elite Four & Champion as his Eevee was nearing level 60 but the current Pokemon in his party was four in their 40s (Venusaur, Articuno, Zapdos, & Aerodactyl) and the sixth being the post game Mewtwo.

After a tricky battle with Green to get the Mewtwonites, we then tried battling Blue but even with Mega Mewtwo he beat us fairly easily (though maybe with some strategy we can overcome the level issue). However I did say may be a good idea to Level up a bit and he asked me where he could find Rare Candies.

"Just go on a catching spree, then send the extra to Oak for Candies" I told him... much to his confusion. I then had to explain to him that all his Pokemon gain experience with every catch. Then I explained you then send all those extra Pokemon to Professor Oak (showing him how to do so) to get candies that then can be used to increase his Pokemon's stats. Now, he did have some candy so probably did do this at some point, but it just never clicked that the candies were meant to be used to make the Pokemon stronger. He pretty much went through the whole game just relying on experience he gained from casual catches he did and trainers he fought without using any candy.

So, yeah, ALL those changes they made to Let's Go because they wanted to give new younger players an easier time to get into the game... is complete and utter nonsense and possibly a massive underestimating of their target audience as my cousin just played through the game as if it was a normal Pokemon experience. And no, he had no Pokemon for GO either, it was all with Pokemon he caught in-game.

That all said, he does like the Pokemon following you and riding on his Aerodactyl, you know, two features they're probably not going to be including in Sword & Shield. *Heavy sigh*
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. I think the issues with candies is that it requires too much grinding. Which is a big part that baffles me. This game was designed to be easy to speed up because of all the mobile games, yet the inclusion of candy makes it required to spend some time to grind. I'm guessing candies were added due to trying to keep the Original Go players motivated to play the game, yet younger players fail to seem to miss the point....

Kind of related, when discussing with my brother on IVs, EVs, and natures, my brother comments on how impressive they are for being so complicated and having so much depth. He's right. Look at catch rate: See what a complicated Algebra it is? Actually, no there are several formulas. complicated formulas.

Don't know where to post this. It doesn't annoy me nor do I believe people would disagree if I put it out there but isn't it weird that some of the merged Pokemon we got in recent games which you can't catch during your early encounters who suppose to get weaker when you meet them when they are seperated again and "weakened", have for some reason a higher level than previous encounters?
I am speaking of course about Kyurem from B2W2 and Necrozma from USUM.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Don't know where to post this. It doesn't annoy me nor do I believe people would disagree if I put it out there but isn't it weird that some of the merged Pokemon we got in recent games which you can't catch during your early encounters who suppose to get weaker when you meet them when they are seperated again and "weakened", have for some reason a higher level than previous encounters?
Maybe as they're being hastily separated the first time, Kyurem and Necrozma absorb some of the energy either from the Pokemon it's being separated from or the residual energy of the combined being (while may not take as much energy in order to fuse, I imagine it still requires a lot of power to split up again) increasing their strength just enough to survive on their own. However once you catch them you can properly fuse and split them so both Pokemon keep the energy they had when they fused.

Kyurem has an excuse - between the first encounter and when you can catch it, you have the whole Victory Road, Elite Four, the ruins of N's Castle and the battle with Reshiram/Zekrom to deal with, so clearly some time passed to allow Kyurem to grow up in levels.

Necrozma doesn't have such an excuse though. You can immediately head on to Mount Lanakila as soon as you defeat Ultra Necrozma, so it doesn't have enough time to recover strength.

Well, at least seeing how my youngest cousin has progressed through the game.
I can't really conclude it's an utter failure because of the experience of one person struggling. That child got by pretty well relying on just casual catches and rare candy. I'm not sure if the game does a really good job explaining rather than babying (that kids might want to skip over as well as giving players a good difficulty curve. This makes me wonder, is the rare candy thing even all that necessary if someone can progress through that game so far without using a single one?

I'm not sure if you even disagree with the Gen 1 haters to begin with. Sure, there are those that are vocal and extreme in their hatred for Gen 1, but I'm sure most people who "hate Gen 1" are those who find it really overrated in every term: they find the designs the worst and often use Gen 1 designs to defend claims of the latest generation being "uninspired"; the gameplay is absolute rubbish, I'm sure we can all agree on that; the spritework is ugly as hell; there is no experience point progress; the item bag is a total mess being that it carries every single item you pick up, no sorting, and it has a LIMIT on how much you can pick up stuff; you walk everywhere; the text scrolls slowly and is just hard for me to read it without it feeling interrupted every few phrases. The region itself is pretty nice and laid out okay, but even so, it doesn't have the scenery variety the later games offer, especially after Ruby and Sapphire, and scenery variety I'd imagine is important if you catch a variety of animals that live in different places. Gen 1 is probably still fun to play today and it's probably fun to see how terrible it is compared to the future games, but I just find the complaints about Gen 1 valid. Honestly. it's like saying the original Super Mario Bros. is better than New Super Mario Bros. U; you can't back up that claim with anything really maybe except challenge but challenge usually isn't a defining point for what people's favorite games are, at least not in the Pokemon or Mario franchise.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem has an excuse - between the first encounter and when you can catch it, you have the whole Victory Road, Elite Four, the ruins of N's Castle and the battle with Reshiram/Zekrom to deal with, so clearly some time passed to allow Kyurem to grow up in levels.

Necrozma doesn't have such an excuse though. You can immediately head on to Mount Lanakila as soon as you defeat Ultra Necrozma, so it doesn't have enough time to recover strength.
Actually, you don't head to Lanakila immediately after defeating Ultra Necrozma. It isn't a whole lot between then and when you encounter Necrozma again, but after the Necrozma episode of USUM you still have a bit more of the Poni Island part of the Island challenge to go, more specifically, Totem Ribombee as well as the final kahuna battle (Hapu). And in the case of Totem Ribombee, it also requires you to travel across all four islands and get petals from all of the Trial Captains from the other three islands, battling most of them in the process as well before you take on Ribombee. So you have that, then the last Totem, then a final showdown with Hapu to get your fourth and final island symbol. So there's still a bit more of stuff to finish off the island challenge that is a decent amount of time between when you defeat Ultra Necrozma and when you see the weakened Necrozma again at Mount Lanakila (plus you challenge quite a few Trainers there before you see it).

Not to mention, the amount of levels both of them go up between those respective times makes sense anyways: Kyurem goes up a grand total of 20 levels between the Ghetsis fight and then, while Necrozma only goes up by 5 (you battle it at Level 60, while it's Level 65 when you see it at Lanakila). Necrozma still being weakened after a relatively short amount of time is also reflected in that it's catch rate in USUM is very high: 255 (which is basically as easy to catch as a Pidgey or any early-game Pokemon), as opposed to the usual 3 for legendaries, reflecting that it's still relatively weak.

Not much else to say right now, but I just wanted to set the record straight there.

Unpopular opinion of mine: I hate the Pokemon Anime. OK I'll admit a one line post is lazy, but I can't think of much to add onto that.
That's really not an unpopular opinion. Honestly, this thread should have its named changed to "Complains about Pokemon"because that's what it has become. Anyway the anime's purpose is not to tell a good story, but to sell the Pokemon Franchise- which is why it has become quite stale.

That's really not an unpopular opinion. Honestly, this thread should have its named changed to "Complains about Pokemon"because that's what it has become. Anyway the anime's purpose is not to tell a good story, but to sell the Pokemon Franchise- which is why it has become quite stale.
You want more complaints, I will give you more complaints!

I love Fearow and I find it cute and it is better than Pigeot. :3

I also like Unown because it's useless.

I also like the idea of objects being Pokemon because why not? It's not them running out of ideas, it's them exploring outside the box from animals to other real-life objects. Also, we need a car Pokemon, like the roids from YuGiOh (think Rescueroid or Expressroid).

Klingklang looks awesome and I like the concept of taking existing Pokemon and adding to them as evolutions.

Vanilluxe is also awesome. I just love the idea of ice cream becoming scoop and then a sundae.

I don't know what people think about Palossand and Sandygast, but I like them for the same idea of being "objects". That rotting seaweed anchor Dhelmise mon is great too. Same with Aegislash and Chandelure. Funny, seems like we got quite a bit of ghost Pokemon being objects. Heck we got Rotom formes, and I think that lawn mower Rotom is the closest thing to a proper car Pokemon.

You want more complaints, I will give you more complaints!

I love Fearow and I find it cute and it is better than Pigeot. :3

I also like Unown because it's useless.

I also like the idea of objects being Pokemon because why not? It's not them running out of ideas, it's them exploring outside the box from animals to other real-life objects. Also, we need a car Pokemon, like the roids from YuGiOh (think Rescueroid or Expressroid).

Klingklang looks awesome and I like the concept of taking existing Pokemon and adding to them as evolutions.

Vanilluxe is also awesome. I just love the idea of ice cream becoming scoop and then a sundae.

I don't know what people think about Palossand and Sandygast, but I like them for the same idea of being "objects". That rotting seaweed anchor Dhelmise mon is great too. Same with Aegislash and Chandelure. Funny, seems like we got quite a bit of ghost Pokemon being objects. Heck we got Rotom formes, and I think that lawn mower Rotom is the closest thing to a proper car Pokemon.
On Fearow, Chuggaconroy used one on his FireRed playthrough, and even justified why its better than the Pidgey lines. So I'll give you that.

I also enjoy the idea of inanimate Pokemon. After all its not like inanimate objects who can walk and talk in other media are frowned upon, such as:
Image result for lumiere disney

Regardless, I don't like Klinklang because I find it too similar to Magnezone, but I agree with Vanilluxe. I love Vanilluxe because the lore around it and the fact that ice cream is something totally new. I don't get how its anymore stranger than floating magnets and living fecal matter.

I'm guessing the idea behind Chandelure, Palossand, and Aegislash is that there Pokemon who are inanimate objects possessed by a spirit.

On the topic of Pokemon based on inanimate objects, as much as I hate the Rotomdex, I do like its features. Specifically, the Roto Hatches and Catches. The former makes it a lot easier to hatch eggs, while the latter makes it useful to catch legendary Pokemon in Apricorn Balls: That's how I caught my Thundurus and Zekrom in Fast and Heavy Ball respectively.

Yeah, I think the Spearow line is better than the Pidgey line in-game. Pidgey's learnset is just worse. It has gust, but that works off its special attack stat, which is weaker than its attack stat (and its attack is 45). Gust also used to be a normal type move back in the older games. If you leave it unevolved, it can learn Wing Attack, 60 BP, at level 33. Its final two flying moves are special attacks being Air Slash with 75 BP and Hurricane which is wildly inaccurate and at 110 BP and 70 acurracy. Pigeot learns these two extremely late, at the 60s. Spearow, on the other hand, gets a physical flying stab right off the bat, Peck, has 60 attack and it learns Aerial Ace, 60 BP, at level 15 and that's before it evolves (though in Gen III it gets it at level 25). And after it evolves, it can learn 80 BP Drill Peck at level 41. In later gens, Fearow can also learn 80 BP Drill Run to hit those pesky rock and steel types.

It's too bad Fearow doesn't get a mega though, and I think it's overall overshadowed by Pidgey because it doesn't get caught as early as Pidgey, but I feel its utility as a flying type is better.

People treat Vanilluxe as "just an ice cream cone" but when you get super reductive on Pokemon you don't like, it's easy. Rattata is "just a rat". Noctowl is "just an owl". Aegislash is "just a sword and shield". There's more to Vanilluxe than just an ice cream with a face, imo. Its main structure, for instance, isn't just a cone, it's also stalacites! And its design in general, I wouldn't argue is generic. It looks like... Pokemon. I've seen bad fakemons, Vanilluxe doesn't look like one.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
It's too bad Fearow doesn't get a mega though, and I think it's overall overshadowed by Pidgey because it doesn't get caught as early as Pidgey, but I feel its utility as a flying type is better.
When it comes to megas, it made a lot more sense to give Pidgeot one than Fearow. Pidgeot is both more popular and less strong, so it made sense to buff it as they did. It'd be quite redundant if they gave a mega to another gen 1 early route flying type. At the time, it also wouldn't really help Fearow that much, since it'd most likely be Physical oriented, unlike Pidgeot, and thus have to compete with Talonflame.

When it comes to megas, it made a lot more sense to give Pidgeot one than Fearow. Pidgeot is both more popular and less strong, so it made sense to buff it as they did. It'd be quite redundant if they gave a mega to another gen 1 early route flying type. At the time, it also wouldn't really help Fearow that much, since it'd most likely be Physical oriented, unlike Pidgeot, and thus have to compete with Talonflame.
I still somewhat wish they went a different direction with Pidgeot's mega though..

Making it go from a phisical attacker to a special one is already weird enough (well, at least you don't really get the Mega during ingame main story anyway), and Pidgeot itself doesn't really get many attacks to use No Guard either...
If they at least bothered to make him learn an extra attack or two, even phisical... :|

I like the idea of Pigeot being a special attacker. Pigeot doesn't have as polarizing offenses as Fearow and it has some special Flying type moves, and there aren't much special normal-flying types. Pigeot should get more special attacks to work from, though, as movepool seems to be a constant problem for our feathered friends. Anyhow, I don't think Mega-Pigeot is any real slouch, as No Guard was probably given JUST SO it can use Hurricane.

I know it makes more sense that Pigeot gets one rather than Fearow as Pigeot is simply more immediately recognizable by appearing as one of the first Pokemon you can get. I'm just wishing Fearow got something, and I do hope Dodrio gets something because Dodrio got hit by the power creep pretty hard. And also... same with Tauros.

I know it makes more sense that Pigeot gets one rather than Fearow as Pigeot is simply more immediately recognizable by appearing as one of the first Pokemon you can get. I'm just wishing Fearow got something, and I do hope Dodrio gets something because Dodrio got hit by the power creep pretty hard. And also... same with Tauros.
Dodrio got Swords Dance, Jump Kick and an increase on its Speed stat. Sure, it's no mega, but it's better than most cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 8)