Unpopular opinions

Yes, I like the SM and even USUM, but only looking at it individually. USUM is an improvement over SM's content, but does pale somewhat in comparison to B2W2, HGSS, and so forth. Not including gameplay, I love the music and Pokemon designs in the modern gens as much as the classic gens.

Hello everyone, I'm glad I can post here again! Sorry for the delay (I was in charge of making this banner for AG) but here is all of the data complied by the bingo game! This is from the 12 people who took the Google Survey, and 5 of those who posted their thoughts on the Unpopular Forums. Here is the spreadsheet results. If you feel if your opinion has been incorrectly been counted (especially to those who didn't take the survey), PLEASE privately DM me. I value your thoughts and accuracy!

TimestampWhat is your username on Smogon Forums?ORAS and Let’s Go are inferior to HGSS and B2W2 in follow-ups.Battle Frontier needs to be brought back.Zacian-Crowned, Mega-Rayquaza, and Dynamax are examples of power-creep. For those not in competitive, power-creep is defined by something that obviously and extremely overshadows everything else in viability, especially when compared to its formal niche (i.e. Ubers, Natdex, Game-Gimmick-Mechanics, etc.) and past options.Possible remakes of Diamond/Pearl are not looking/optimistic.Gen5 and/or Gen8 have the worst Pokemon designs.Megas should be brought back as a mechanic and a creative opportunity.You prefer the Zamazenta-Hero of Many Battles form instead of the Zacian-Hero of Many Battles form.The pre-3D games were the best in quality.The box art of the video games sucks in art direction in comparison to the TCG artwork.Regional variants are cool and should be explored.The franchise is on shaky ground (Quality-wise, fan reception-wise, the future, not sales-wise).The XY rivals and friends were bland, poorly written, and forgettable.There should be an official way to transfer mons for free.Post-2D-games can suffer from corridor syndrome.Defog and the Stall archetype suck.The full Pokedex, aka the Natdex, needs to be brought back.Tedious mechanics, like egg breeding and soft-resetting for natures, encourage hacking, whether it's legal or illegal.BW was underappreciated.SwSh's QoL changes should have been implemented in previous games.Gamefreak makes lifeless 3D models and is better at sprites.The Battle Tower mechanic (in general) pales in depth.Pokemon like Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and other Gen1 pokemon are used too frequently.XY or SwSh are the least in quality.Gamefreak's trust has been eroded in the past year-and-a-half
5/24/2020 16:09:07Yung DrampsMixedDisagreeMixedDisagreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeMixedAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeMixedDisagreeDisagreeAgreeMixedAgreeDisagreeDisagreeDisagreeDisagreeDisagree
5/24/2020 16:21:54AlliDisagreeMixedMixedDisagreeDisagreeDisagreeDisagreeMixedAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeDisagreeMixedN/AN/AMixedMixedDisagreeDisagreeDisagree
5/24/2020 17:01:22Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)AgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeMixedMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeMixedAgreeMixedDisagreeAgree
5/24/2020 17:11:08Pikachu315111AgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeN/AMixedN/AAgreeMixedMixedAgreeMixedN/ADisagreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeMixedAgreeAgreeMixedAgree
5/24/2020 17:31:30sg pokemonN/AMixedAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeN/AAgreeN/AAgreeMixedN/AAgreeN/AMixedAgreeMixedAgreeAgreeMixedMixedAgreeMixedN/A
5/24/2020 18:27:53Sultan of SkookAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgree
5/25/2020 0:29:30pokemon4evaAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeMixedAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeMixedMixedMixedDisagreeDisagreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgree
5/25/2020 11:27:00Suspicious DerivativeMixedDisagreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeMixedAgreeAgreeMixedMixedMixedMixedN/AAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedDisagreeAgreeDisagreeMixed
5/25/2020 12:34:01J1mm1PAgreeAgreeDisagreeN/AAgreeAgreeN/AMixedDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeDisagreeAgree
5/25/2020 14:03:32Blue glassMixedN/AMixedAgreeDisagreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeN/AAgreeDisagreeDisagreeDisagreeAgreeN/AAgreeDisagreeN/ADisagreeDisagreeDisagree
5/27/2020 2:19:34SpecsAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedDisagreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedAgreeDisagreeMixedAgreeDisagreeMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgree
ForumSigguMixedDisagreeMixedDisagreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeMixedMixedAgreeMixedN/AMixedMixedDisagreeMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeDisagree
ForumBull of HeavenN/AAgreeAgreeMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeDisagreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeDisagreeAgree
ForumDreamPrinceAgreeMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeN/ADisagreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedMixedDisagreeMixedAgree
ForumgreentyphlosionAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeMixedAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeAgreeN/AAgreeAgreeAgreeN/AAgreeMixedN/AAgreeAgree

For reference, a majority will be deemed if at least one option has over a 50%, a supermajority will be deemed if 67% or greater of any option prevails, and a mixed opinion will be deemed if at least two answer choices are both 33% or higher or a majority can not (not including N/A) be deemed.

1591803694739.png
1591803725794.png
1591803888105.png
1591803988261.png
1591804449266.png
1591804502429.png
1591804595702.png
1591804651402.png
1591804865729.png
1591804929161.png
1591804976795.png
1591805369226.png
1591805457763.png
1591805546608.png
1591805638956.png
1591805710272.png
1591805795690.png
1591807721417.png
1591807825853.png
1591807885503.png
1591807976773.png
1591808108978.png
1591808167239.png
1591808235175.png

Attachments

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and share my personal answers to each of those questions:

Mixed. BW2 > ORAS > HGSS. As for Let's Go, I have neither played it nor have any interest in playing it.

Mixed. If they're going to bring one of them back, I'd rather it be the one from Platinum/HGSS. Looking back at Emerald's Battle Frontier, it was plagued with all sorts of bullshit; the Battle Pike was entirely dependent on pure dumb luck, the Battle Pyramid was a 7-story labyrinth in the dark that felt more like a test of patience than courage, and the less I say about the Battle Palace not allowing you to pick what moves your Pokemon use the better. Meanwhile, the Battle Tower and Battle Factory were brought back in the Gen 4 frontier, and the Battle Dome was essentially brought back in BW2 as the PWT (which is far superior). So about the only facility from Emerald that I come anywhere close to missing is the Battle Arena.

Agree. And it's probably going to continue to get even more ridiculous in future generations. Hell, pretty much every generation since 4 has raised the bar in one way or another. Might as well brace for whatever asinine mechanic Gen 9 gives us now while we still can.

Mixed. Keep in mind, Pokemon's 25th anniversary will be next year, so it wouldn't surprise me if they give us new games sometime then. I can certainly go over various things I would want to change or keep if remakes do happen (and I've written a whole post talking about one thing I would want to change).

Disagree. Gen 5 is my favorite generation (and here's another post with my thoughts on several Pokemon from it). Gen 8 isn't as good as 5, but it's far from my least favorite.

Agree. While you could debate whether or not some Pokemon needed Megas (e.g. Scizor, Garchomp, Salamence), whether or not they could have gotten regular evolutions instead (e.g. Mawile, Pinsir, Banette), or whether they needed more than one (e.g. Charizard, Mewtwo), it's still an interesting mechanic that breathed new life into several Pokemon that really needed it (e.g. Beedrill, Pidgeot, Altaria).

Agree. In their Hero forms, I prefer Zamazenta. In their Crowned forms, I prefer Zacian.

Mixed. I don't usually judge games on 3D-ness. My favorite generation is Gen 5 (pre-3D), with Gens 3 (pre-3D originals and post-3D remakes) and 7 (post-3D) being my second and third favorites. I guess I should have said N/A instead.

Disagree. Give me box art over Play-doh or knitted models any day.

Fully agree. Alolan forms breathed new life into a lot of Gen 1 Pokemon that needed new life (e.g. Sandslash, Raichu, Muk) and made already-solid Pokemon even better (e.g. Marowak, Ninetales), and Galarian forms' evolutions gave me a previously-rare incentive to catch a Zigzagoon, Farfetch'd, and Corsola. I think this needs to be a mainstay of the series from now on. Hell, if we get DP remakes, let's add some Sinnoan forms of Pokemon from Gens 5-8.

Mixed. There are some features of recent Pokemon games that I like (e.g. regional variants, lack of HMs, more memorable and interesting characters), and some that I don't (e.g. microscopic rosters of new Pokemon, simultaneously flooding games to the brim with older Pokemon, villainous teams that are jokes). Hard to say whether I would consider this a net positive or negative.

Agree. I barely remember any of them despite being the largest collection of rivals a game has had at one time.

Agree 100%. This is basically Pokemon's version of microtransactions.

N/A. Uh... I never really noticed this. I don't really care about it one way or the other, so I'll just move on.

Mixed. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Agree. This should have been implemented when Pokemon HOME came out.

Agree, albeit begrudgingly because shiny hunting, nature hunting, and IV breeding are arguably all easier than ever in Sword/Shield. Especially now that Mints exist and Bottle Caps seemingly fall out of the sky. You don't have any excuses anymore.

Agree. Pardon my bias, but while I think their sequels did nearly everything else better, BW are still my favorites when it comes to main story.

Agree. I primarily say that because I think Mints could have been introduced 4 or 5 generations earlier, when Natures were still a fairly new concept.

Mixed. I think it really just depends on the Pokemon. Drapion for instance looked great in BW, but I don't care for either of its 3D models. On the other hand, the Switch finally made Shiny Espeon and Claydol look good. Meanwhile, I've seen Smogon's attempt to make BW-style sprites of later-gen Pokemon, and the results have been... mixed.

Disagree. See my response to Question 2 to know what I think of many of the "depth" additions other battle facilities added.

Agree. Even if they are more popular than other mons out there, that doesn't mean we have to see them shoved in our faces all the time. There comes a point where even the most "awesome" things can turn stale. Also, I would add Eevee, Mew, Gengar, and the Bulbasaur and Squirtle lines to that list.

Disagree. That title belongs to Gen 2. Fleeing wild Pokemon, shitty level-up movepools for way too many Pokemon, abysmal level curves, lackluster characters, Lance being a pathetic champion if you had a decent Ice- or Rock-type attack on your team, and a boring postgame slog through an empty Kanto region with nothing besides a few glorified exhibition matches against that region's gym leaders is not exactly my idea of a quality Pokemon game. This isn't helped by what is IMO the weakest new Pokemon roster in the series (not to mention the inability to get a lot of the better ones until you reach Kanto), a criminally overrated day/night feature, and Red being beatable even when my entire team was 20 levels lower than his. HGSS at least fixed some of these issues and are much better games, but I'm still not all that big a fan of them. The only reason I even went back to this generation a couple of years ago was to get a Celebi transferred into Gen 7. XY were generally forgettable and SwSh had a lot of missed opportunities, but I'd take either of those sets of games over GSC any day.

Agree, albeit begrudgingly. I'll wait until I've played both DLC areas before I weigh in on this any further.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Nice stats! Gotta be honest, I'm majorly surprised at the community response at some of these. Question 23 in particular I'm shocked how few people consider either XY or SWSH to be the worst seeing as people on this forum seem to be quite vocal about their shortcomings. Something similar applies with the mixed responses to Question 20, was expecting more people to be vocal about disliking models. That said, the sample size here wasn't the biggest so who knows.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Nice stats! Gotta be honest, I'm majorly surprised at the community response at some of these. Question 23 in particular I'm shocked how few people consider either XY or SWSH to be the worst seeing as people on this forum seem to be quite vocal about their shortcomings. Something similar applies with the mixed responses to Question 20, was expecting more people to be vocal about disliking models. That said, the sample size here wasn't the biggest so who knows.
I think it's more because one or two generations before XY and SWSH have much less quality. I would think Gen 1 would have the least quality because of having shortcomings very severe, even for the first games, or Gen 2 for similar reasons despite ironing and fixing many parts of what Gen 1 established. Even XY and SWSH didn't have that many shortcomings, as those also comes with many much-needed improvements (even if a few of them should be done earlier).

What do you think of this of the community:
Screenshot_20200610-195111.png

I don't think the overall opinions of this thread are as unpopular or controversial as we think we are :psysly:

Depends on what you base the "unpopular" on: I point very often that this community tends to have warped opinions compared to like, 99% of the actual playerbase, so they would still count as unpopular :mad:
Good point! :bloblul:. I said the "I don't think the overall opinions of this thread are as unpopular or controversial as we think we are" in a satirical manner, because honestly, I think we have more stuff in common within the thread than we think, as much as the thread users debate, agree to disagree, and so forth. That's what makes it nice here. We share unpopular ideas, and we also believe in popular ideas. There's no black-and-white in terms of "oh, I believe only entirely /all unpopular opinions/trends". It's like a spectrum of beliefs.

Last edited:
Sorry if no conext [if context of an already existing opinion, or consistent answers, is the point than good for you], but..
I think question 1 flawed because I could consider LGPE flawed, but ORAS as not (or vice versa). The justification probably be if you liked the radical, super easy departure that LGPE was
Question 3 is a little flawed bc we should be talking about the games itself, not any smogon tier (also the 3 different options)
Question 4, using "not" is not recommended in questions
Question 7 is biased because you are asking Zamazenta first; it should be a choice between Zacian and Zamazenta, preferably (if the format makes this off ig i understand)\
Question 9 has the same problem as 7 but "sucks" provides a greater scale so i'll take it
Q14's can makes it amigious, of course they can but its if they do (this is really based on context bc i dont understand?_
Q15, again separate or combine both subjects to Defog sucks | stall sucks, or defog makes stall suck. bc i personally like defog change but indepent thoughts on stall
for the consistent agree/disagree you would just use the "agree" equiv (like zacian) as the agree

Very unpopular opinion but I really dislike Typhlosion and I can't really explain why...

Is it because his design doesn't differenciate much from Quilava, and even loses the flames of its tail?

Is it because its stats are just a lazy ctrl+c of Charizard?

Is it because I find ilogical how many people don't like its XY 3d model and use it as example to bash all Pokemon 3d models, despite that it does fire up in its attacking animation, the Pokemon doesn't have the flames ignited 24/7, and Stadium/Battle Revo also did this and no one said anything?
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
2c6.gif

Or is it because yesterday it costed my Factory streak when I was so close to reach Gold Print? :smogthink:

Last edited:
I feel like 80% of pokemon design criticism i see forgets that they’re talking about fun cartoon mascots for 5 year olds and acts like this is biology class
To be fair, Pokemon design is taken very seriously according GF during the GameInformer interviews. The designers have to provide an explanation for every aspect of the Pokémon’s design, like if it has horns, thery can’t be there for the sake of having horns, they must have a functioning purpose. There also some pretty complicated designs like Dialga and Palkia and Xerneas/Yveltal that would require months to finalize. So yeah, even though that Pokémon are designed for children, that doesn’t mean design they do not have any logic or thoughts or planning when doing the designs, I think it is perfectly acceptable for us to critique designs based off Biology.

To be fair, Pokemon design is taken very seriously according GF during the GameInformer interviews. The designers have to provide an explanation for every aspect of the Pokémon’s design, like if it has horns, thery can’t be there for the sake of having horns, they must have a functioning purpose. There also some pretty complicated designs like Dialga and Palkia and Xerneas/Yveltal that would require months to finalize. So yeah, even though that Pokémon are designed for children, that doesn’t mean design they do not have any logic or thoughts or planning when doing the designs, I think it is perfectly acceptable for us to critique designs based off Biology.
Reminds me how after Gen 3 Bulbasaur and Charmanders heads got ballooned
And after Gen 6 it really set in for new starters. Fennekin is unbalanced as heck compared to Vulpix

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They still had the show at the time though.
I mean I doubt the designers had the show in mind when designing the line (weren’t they developing G/S prior to the show as well?). But still better than having them walk around with that much fire all the time.

I mean I doubt the designers had the show in mind when designing the line (weren’t they developing G/S prior to the show as well?). But still better than having them walk around with that much fire all the time.
The first episode of the Pokemon show first broadcast in 1997. This episode had Ho-Oh in it, so Gold and Silver were being developed at the time. Indeed, we've seen what Gold and Silver looked like in 1997, and the Cyndaquil is nowhere to be seen. This suggests that the Cyndaquil family was designed after they already knew that these Pokemon would be depicted as more than just still images in an action pose, and yet the designers still decided it would be a great idea to make a Pokemon that literally only looks good in a still action pose. Cyndaquil at least has a cute face and snout, and Quilava has a cool tube-like weasel body. Typhlosion is just a fucking triangle with arms.

They could have also easily made the flames a permanent feature. They did it before with Ponyta. But even then, while Typhlosion is no longer as bland as white bread, it still looks worse than its prevos. Cyndaquil's fire covers its back and makes it look like a hedgehog. Quilava has it on its head like a cool crest, and on its butt as a tail. Typhlosion has a big collar on the back of its neck. It doesn't give off a royal vide that would make a big collar feel appropriate. It's just got a big collar for some reason. Yeah, honey badgers have thick neck skin, but 1) that isn't very analogous to a fire collar and 2) making something that doesn't look stupid should take precedence over a half-assed animal reference.

Very unpopular opinion but I really dislike Typhlosion and I can't really explain why...

Is it because his design doesn't differenciate much from Quilava, and even loses the flames of its tail?

Is it because its stats are just a lazy ctrl+c of Charizard?

Is it because I find ilogical how many people don't like its XY 3d model and use it as example to bash all Pokemon 3d models, despite that it does fire up in its attacking animation, the Pokemon doesn't have the flames ignited 24/7, and Stadium/Battle Revo also did this and no one said anything?
View attachment 254351View attachment 254352View attachment 254350

Or is it because yesterday it costed my Factory streak when I was so close to reach Gold Print? :smogthink:
As my first Pokemon (well technically Cyndaquil but shut up) I love Typhlosion but recent games really have failed to do it justice. In GSC it looks mean and menacing and tough.

1592237533922.png
1592237540742.png

In later games... it's gotten less and less so (its RSEFRLG sprite gives it a big derpy grin in place of GSC's slight sneer), and its post-XY sprites are just awful since without the flames it just looks like an overgrown weasel.

It's not a terrible Pokemon, but it suffers the same fate as the other two Johto starters in that being a single type, it's overly dependent on fire for its design, and it hasn't received much in the way of new toys for many years. It's not enough to have the same stats as Charizard when Zard gets Belly Drum and Dragon Dance in addition to Mega Evolutions and the like. It occasionally gets a decent new move whenever egg pools update, but it's not enough. Any lingering hope it would get a Mega Evolution has gone and if it ends up getting a Gigantamax form in a future DLC upgrade I'll be very surprised.

Imo this is the biggest issue with 3d models of old pokemon. People often mention that new pokemon look better in 3d, which I attribute to the fact that the design team is actually making them with simple idle animations in mind, when the old sprite standard meant you could always "spice up" a simple design with a cool static pose. They could also often play with proportions and perspective in sprites in a way that you just can't get away with when you need to build a 3d skeleton. Blastoise sprites always "cheated" a pose but the current tiny t-rex arms of the 3d model just don't allow much range of movement.

Typhlosion isn't on fire all the time, we get the lore (although it was in-battle in gen 5 :P). But it would still be much better off if they made it, like, turn the flames on and off as part of its idle animation cycle, instead of only during attack animations.

So effectively make it like HAL did Quilava's idle anim in Stadium, got it
Also, it's totally a Quadruped mon. Where's my quad tackles? Only Stadium (and Mystery Dungeon 1/2, but that's based off of Stadium anims anyway for Typhlosian) shows this

Typhlosion isn't on fire all the time, we get the lore (although it was in-battle in gen 5 :P). But it would still be much better off if they made it, like, turn the flames on and off as part of its idle animation cycle, instead of only during attack animations.
So effectively make it like HAL did Quilava's idle anim in Stadium, got it
From what I can tell, Quilava doesn't flare during its idle animation, just its intro. In any case, I've expressed my distaste for Gen 5's battle sprites, so I don't think having the flames periodically erupt would look very good. I think it would look better if the ignition regions were constantly crackling, either with sparks or with weak flames.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)