- [TR84] Scald
- [TR85] Work Up
- [TR98] Liquidation
- [TR99] Body Press
Armor Tutors:
- Coaching

New Moves.
Surging Strikes:
Always results in a critical hit. Hits 3 times.

Pros.

Cons.

Possible Move Sets.
-

View attachment 255787
Urshifu Rapid Strike.
100/130/100/63/60/97

ABILITY: Unseen Fist.
Unseen Fist:

[00] Surging Strikes
- [01] Surging Strikes
- [01] Aqua Jet
- [01] Rock Smash
- [01] Leer
- [01] Endure
- [01] Focus Energy
- [12] Aerial Ace
- [16] Scary Face
- [20] Headbutt
- [24] Brick Break
- [28] Detect
- [32] Bulk Up
- [36] Iron Head
- [40] Dynamic Punch
- [44] Counter
- [48] Close Combat
- [52] Focus Punch
TMs:
- [TM00] Mega Punch
- [TM01] Mega Kick
- [TM03] Fire Punch
- [TM04] Ice Punch
- [TM05] Thunder Punch
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM15] Dig
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM22] Rock Slide
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM26] Scary Face
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM33] Rain Dance
- [TM36] Whirlpool
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM40] Swift
- [TM41] Helping Hand
- [TM42] Revenge
- [TM43] Brick Break
- [TM45] Dive
- [TM48] Rock Tomb
- [TM55] Brine
- [TM56] U-turn
- [TM63] Drain Punch
- [TM75] Low Sweep
- [TM76] Round
- [TM78] Acrobatics
- [TM79] Retaliate
- [TM94] False Swipe
TRs:
- [TR01] Body Slam
- [TR07] Low Kick
- [TR13] Focus Energy
- [TR16] Waterfall
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR21] Reversal
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR37] Taunt
- [TR39] Superpower
- [TR46] Iron Defense
- [TR48] Bulk Up
- [TR53] Close Combat
- [TR56] Aura Sphere
- [TR57] Poison Jab
- [TR64] Focus Blast
- [TR69] Zen Headbutt
- [TR74] Iron Head
- [TR75] Stone Edge
- [TR84] Scald
- [TR85] Work Up
- [TR98] Liquidation
- [TR99] Body Press
Armor Tutors:
- Coaching

New Moves.
Surging Strikes:
Always results in a critical hit. Hits 3 times.

Notable Moves.
-Surging Strike
-Aqua Jet
-Close Combat
-Taunt
-Bulk Up
-Thunder Punch
-Zen Headbutt
-Substitute
-Drain Punch

Pros.
-Great Movepool allowing it to super effectively hit every type In the game.
-Surging Strikes.
-Good physical defense allowing it to set up on physical attackers.

Cons.
-Serious 4mss. It has to choose which mons it can check, either it looses
-Frail Spdef wise. This allows special attackers to revenge kill urshifu. It also stops it from setting up on some mons
-97 base Speed is not bad, but not great either. It's almost always forsed to run Jolly because of base 90 and 95 threats in the tier.

Possible Move Sets.
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch/Aqua Jet

Choice band 2hkos most of the tier excluding a few Pokemon. It has to choose between Zen Headbutt for Pex and Amoongus and Thunderpunch for Slowbro/Jelliecent/Pelliper.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Zen Headbutt/Taunt/Thunderpunch/Aqua Jet

This set allows Urshifu RS to sweep more defensive teams. It's also not forsed into one move giving it more versatile.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Zen Headbutt

Choice scarf allows Urshifu RS to be a good revenge killer. Unfortunately it doesnt hit as hard as the other sets.

ps. If there is something I missed I will update this daily.

I do think a Sub-Bulk Up-Drain Punch-Surging Strike set can work. Coverage is ok, fast enough to set up and tanky enough too. It needs support to remove Special threats and Toxapex + Slowbro but that is not exclusive and this can set up on defensive pivots like Mandibuzz and kill some checks with sub up.

That being said, Choice Band seems real good.

I think both forms are crazy when it comes to always get hit by a critical but my main problem with this pokemon is that ingame it seems theres no way to tell the forms apart or is there something im missing? Like if i think its the water type and go for a psychic move and im wrong im screwed. Dont think thats fair.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think both forms are crazy when it comes to always get hit by a critical but my main problem with this pokemon is that ingame it seems theres no way to tell the forms apart or is there something im missing? Like if i think its the water type and go for a psychic move and im wrong im screwed. Dont think thats fair.
Rapid’s pants fold down and his headband flows forward.
Single Strike’s pants fold up and his headband flows backward.

ill have to remember that, i had like every stat maxed with magearna but was afraid to use stored power and it lived the aura sphere and i almost lost. thanks

Ok i got used to telling them apart now is there away to tell the line up b4 battle sprites apart? they both look same to me, thanks.

dont know about others but i pretty much consider that uber, always getting criticals and cant protect against it seems a bit much.

dont know about others but i pretty much consider that uber, always getting criticals and cant protect against it seems a bit much.
From my experience, Rapid strike isn't too hard to handle since there are a lot of different pokémon it struggles breaking, while also being easy to revenge kill if it isn't scarf. I've personally had a ton of success with Rocky helmet Slowbro, which heavily punishes it for clicking any move (especially Surging strikes obviously), while not losing momentum by needing to click on Slack off thanks to Regenerator and Teleport. Single strike is much more threatening.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Would a Stall Breaker set be effective in the current meta, Taunt, Surging Strike, Close Combat, Coverage Move.
I've been looking into this mon's potential as a stallbreaker actually! The set I've been using takes a different tack to yours, however:

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Metronome
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Surging Strikes
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

I believe somebody in the metagame discussion thread brought this idea up - Metronome as an item has been largely left behind since the big mechanic change that removed a lot of its viability, however Urshifu has the unique ability to sidestep the item's nerf by bypassing protection with Unseen Fist. Between this and this Urshifu form's resistance to Scald (the main thing distinguishing it imo), it's possible to turn Toxapex and other bulky waters such as Quagsire and Slowbro into setup bait and start wearing them down with Thunder Punch. The moves are chosen for reliability: Zen Headbutt would be slightly more powerful, but it carries with it the risk of missing and resetting your Metronome boosts. Rocky Helmet is this set's worst enemy, so a partner with Knock Off is required imo; Magnezone is also great for removing Corviknight, as Urshifu is punished pretty hard by Pressure against stall even with T-Punch; lastly, Wish is a good pairing as you can't rely on the opponent leaving Chansey in to gift you all your health back (Drain Punch is superior to CC here due to higher PP, no defense drops and synergy with Lefties-less Substitute). I'm not a good player by any means, and my brief ladder climb (which brought me to the dizzying heights of the 1400s) didn't yield any conclusive replays, but maybe a better player than me can improve on this idea :)

I've been looking into this mon's potential as a stallbreaker actually! The set I've been using takes a different tack to yours, however:

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Metronome
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Surging Strikes
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

I believe somebody in the metagame discussion thread brought this idea up - Metronome as an item has been largely left behind since the big mechanic change that removed a lot of its viability, however Urshifu has the unique ability to sidestep the item's nerf by bypassing protection with Unseen Fist. Between this and this Urshifu form's resistance to Scald (the main thing distinguishing it imo), it's possible to turn Toxapex and other bulky waters such as Quagsire and Slowbro into setup bait and start wearing them down with Thunder Punch. The moves are chosen for reliability: Zen Headbutt would be slightly more powerful, but it carries with it the risk of missing and resetting your Metronome boosts. Rocky Helmet is this set's worst enemy, so a partner with Knock Off is required imo; Magnezone is also great for removing Corviknight, as Urshifu is punished pretty hard by Pressure against stall even with T-Punch; lastly, Wish is a good pairing as you can't rely on the opponent leaving Chansey in to gift you all your health back (Drain Punch is superior to CC here due to higher PP, no defense drops and synergy with Lefties-less Substitute). I'm not a good player by any means, and my brief ladder climb (which brought me to the dizzying heights of the 1400s) didn't yield any conclusive replays, but maybe a better player than me can improve on this idea :)
On a Metronome set, Urshifu should be using Liquidation or Waterfall, as these moves have more PP to abuse the Metronome boosts. You also don’t want to lose most of your health to Ferrothorn, Rocky Helmet, or both.
It should also be worth noting that Urshifu has enough HP to have 101 HP subs if you have maximum investment too, so Seismic Toss doesn’t screw you over.

On a Metronome set, Urshifu should be using Liquidation or Waterfall, as these moves have more PP to abuse the Metronome boosts. You also don’t want to lose most of your health to Ferrothorn, Rocky Helmet, or both.
It should also be worth noting that Urshifu has enough HP to have 101 HP subs if you have maximum investment too, so Seismic Toss doesn’t screw you over.
Surging Strikes has (effectively) 112 base power. If you successfully run out of PP by spamming Metronome boosted SS you probably already won.

Don't worry about Seismic Toss. Only Chansey runs that and Close Combat cracks it like an... uhh... egg. Speed is far more important.

Surging Strikes has (effectively) 112 base power. If you successfully run out of PP by spamming Metronome boosted SS you probably already won.
Surging Strikes is also resisted by a lot of thicc Pokemon, including Pokemon who can threaten you with decently strong STAB like Tangrowth and Slowbro. If you run out of Surging Strikes, it's likely because you kept using it once as they switched in, and then either broke the chain by either switching to a non-resisted move or switching out. Even if you decide to stay in and spam Surging Strikes against a sturdy but non-threatening wall, by the time you've built up enough Metronome power to outdamage their healing, you've only got like three uses left. Finally, not only do Waterfall and Liquidation have much more PP, but their secondary effects aid in muscling past walls with repeated blows.

Don't worry about Seismic Toss. Only Chansey runs that and Close Combat cracks it like an... uhh... egg. Speed is far more important.
Sure Surging Strikes has an effective 112 BP, but your opponent having Tox, Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Ferrothorn (especially Ferrothorn) can really screw you over. It’s pretty bad to have a 2 or 3 streak of Surge Strikes be lost to a strong resistance and only have 6-5 PP left to use. And if by chance you do get to a max Metronome boost, you will only have 3 PP to use it at most.
Liquidation and Waterfall also have chances to drop Def on a target or flinch walls, which become more likely the more you spam them.
Also, since you’re running Drain Punch, you just barely 2HKO Chansey.
252+ Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 356-422 (50.6 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This gives Chansey a chance to remove your Substitute, where you then must decide to either keep drain punching Chansey or get your Sub back up so you are not vulnerable to Status like Paralysis or Toxic.
Max HP also helps keep Sub on Ferrothorn (A Pokemon that naturally does 3/8ths to Urshifu using Surge Strikes) lacking Power Whip (at least on low rolls, which is better than no rolls), Corviknight (A Pokemon that can drain your Surge Strikes PP) lacking Brave Bird, and Hippowdon using Scorching Sand instead of Earthquake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)