Data Usage-Based Tier Update for August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like how these monthly tier shifts are creating a snow ball effect for the lower tiers right now. With the new toy syndrome not being able to wear off during such a short time, it's inevitable that great pokemon drop tiers for no reason at all. UU dropped a lot of top tier/great pokemon that should not have found their way to RU like Reuniclus, Bronzong, Rhyperior and Seismitoad. We will see the same thing in RU next month.

While the monthly shifts with the higher required cutoff might be the only way we can deal with the upcoming DLC, it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and I would love to see the return of tier shifts every 3 months and the previous 3,41% cutoff eventually when the second DLC has dropped.

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Sorry, Mamoswine dropping to RU is a mistake. Mamoswine only "dropped" to UU halfway through the month, so it's unfair to judge it the same way as everything else that had the entire month to be used. I'll update the FAQ in the discussion thread later to reflect this.

Araquanid moved from UU to RU
Blastoise moved from UU to RU
Clawitzer moved from UU to RU
Klefki moved from UU to RU
Lucario moved from UU to RU
Reuniclus moved from UU to RU
Sharpedo moved from UU to RU
Sirfetch’d moved from UU to RU
Slowbro-Galar moved from UU to RU
Umbreon moved from UU to RU
Zoroark moved from UU to RU
Lurantis moved from RU to NU
Magneton moved from RU to NU
Flapple moved from NU to PU
Morpeko moved from NU to PU
Bellossom moved from PU to ZU
Leafeon moved from PU to ZU
Stoutland moved from PU to ZU
Swoobat moved from PU to ZU

Literally every other Pokémon in the Lower Tiers:

Last edited:
I really don't like how these monthly tier shifts are creating a snow ball effect for the lower tiers right now. With the new toy syndrome not being able to wear off during such a short time, it's inevitable that great pokemon drop tiers for no reason at all. UU dropped a lot of top tier/great pokemon that should not have found their way to RU like Reuniclus, Bronzong, Rhyperior and Seismitoad. We will see the same thing in RU next month.

While the monthly shifts with the higher required cutoff might be the only way we can deal with the upcoming DLC, it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and I would love to see the return of tier shifts every 3 months and the previous 3,41% cutoff eventually when the second DLC has dropped.
The alternative is to ban so many Pokemon that BLs become larger than the actual tiers. Do you really want a repeat of Gen 7?

This isn't new toy syndrome. This is the consequence of 100 new Pokemon being released mid-generation. Obviously it's going to drastically change the game. Shortly after the wave of drops reaches ZU, we'll be looking at a metagame that is both alien and stable.

With the new toy syndrome not being able to wear off during such a short time, it's inevitable that great pokemon drop tiers for no reason at all. UU dropped a lot of top tier/great pokemon that should not have found their way to RU like Reuniclus, Bronzong, Rhyperior and Seismitoad. We will see the same thing in RU next month.
While I cannot speak for future drops, the drops to from UU to RU are reasonable drops. For this, Ill just look at the ones you mentioned. Reuni faced stiff competition from Slowking who also had regen, but had teleport on top of that. It also had a great secondary defensive typing in water on top of that. The typing allows it to counter Keldeo which Reuni could not really do. Bronzong also faces competition from Jirachi and 9/10 times it is a better idea to run Sp def Jirachi over zong. Rhyperior and Seismitoad also faced competition from Pallossand who does not have a 4 times weakness and a bonus fighting resist (probably the best type in UU ATM). On top of that, Sand has the best recovery move in the game in shore up while rhyperior has nothing and seismitoad has water absorb. sure rhyperior and seismitoad fit better on BO, but its not impossible to put Sand on BO.

Most, if not all, of the drops were relics of pre DLC UU. And I think anyone that played DLC UU and Pre DLC UU have noticed the change from one to another. These drops just reflect the "power creep" that DLC UU got.

The alternative is to ban so many Pokemon that BLs become larger than the actual tiers. Do you really want a repeat of Gen 7?

This isn't new toy syndrome. This is the consequence of 100 new Pokemon being released mid-generation. Obviously it's going to drastically change the game. Shortly after the wave of drops reaches ZU, we'll be looking at a metagame that is both alien and stable.
Lol won't the Crown Tundra come before that happens?

Release date is "Fall 2020", so October at the latest.

NU gets ruined at the end of August

PU gets ruined at the end of September

ZU gets rekt at the end of October... Right as Crown Tundra comes out and we start all over again.

Perhaps tiers could start shifting twice a month to help mitigating this?

Something like PU was ruined two times tranks to the DLC...
I think the change in the drop is a good thing to acelerate the drop of trash mon..
top tier mon doesnt drop in one month of usage.. (mamo and diggerby was a special case tranks to UU council politics)

Perhaps tiers could start shifting twice a month to help mitigating this?
That would double the time that tiers are taking to stabilize. If this was already in effect since the DLC launch, the July drops that wrecked UU would be fallling now to it then RU would get wrecked in October instead of this month, so long and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)