Resource USM OU Sample Teams v2 (up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the current SD Bulu team, I feel like wish Clef balances like that are a bit outdated in the current meta. I think something like Ske's mega Hera BO (also featuring SD Bulu like the current Ske sample) is a better representation of what's effective in the current meta and could replace the current SD Bulu team in the samples.

Also, do you guys feel rain is prevalent/effective enough to be added to the samples?

This thread should really have a Double Dance Magearna sample because it's pretty common on ladder and in tour play currently. I'd like to post a team just to give an example of what teams with Double Dance Magearna look like, but, feel free to use any other team since this is just an example.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 64 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 132 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog

I'll just quote myself on how this team was built if people want to bother reading that.
Jordy said:
I built this team to support Mega Alakazam + Magearna, which is one of the best offensive cores available right now, in my opinion at least. Mega Alakazam easily takes advantage of Toxapex, which is the only common Pokemon that reliably walls FleurFocus Magearna. It also wears down Celesteela, which is an awkward match up for Magearna if Celesteela is not weakened. Toxapex was added for its Toxic Spikes support, it also reliably checks Pokemon like Volcarona, Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, Magearna, and Greninja. Heatran sets Stealth Rock for the team, checks Tornadus-T, Celesteela, and Clefable, and can also burn Toxapex for Magearna. Magma Storm could be run to help with stall, but Lava Plume is generally more reliable, and the added burns are nice. Protect is chosen to scout Choice-locked Kartana, but Taunt could also be run in tandem with Magma Storm. Tapu Bulu checks Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Koko, Zygarde, and Tapu Lele reliably. 96 Speed EVs are run to outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt. Protect is chosen to scout out Choice-locked Kartana once again. Landorus-T provides mandatory Defog support, it also provides pivoting support and blocks Volt Switch.
Another Double Dance Magearna team that I could see as a sample would be ABR's team, which is structured very similarly to this one.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
figured I'd post about it since so many ppl are asking: there won't be an update until after the suspect is over for obvious reasons, the original update we planned was delayed due to stour playoffs and then we decided against doing it due to a possible suspect. sorry this is taking so long to everyone and expect a major update not too long after the suspect test regardless of the result tho of course it will take some time for the meta to settle if Zygarde gets banned. that's all, I won't be too active in the next couple days so merry christmas in advance :psysly:

Fran

formerly Frania
is a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
bulldoze seems suboptimal on a team with 2 steels weak to mag and a zam to trap it
e: thanks for a detailed response

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
bulldoze seems suboptimal on a team with 2 steels weak to mag and a zam to trap it
I disagree with this and I will explain the direct synergetic value and purpose of Bulldoze on Ferrothorn considering how important I find it to be on this team as the builder and most common pilot. Before I do so, I will say that your logic makes does not check out to me personally. You are entitled to your opinion and to changing the team if you elect to use it yourself, however, so feel free to do so. Regardless of that, having Bulldoze on Ferrothorn makes more sense when paired with other Steel types, not less as your post seems to indicator, simply given that it hits Magnezone and Heatran, which oftentimes are problematic to opposing Steel types in a general sense.

The first and most important thing to remember is that Bulldoze from Ferrothorn into Flamethrower from Celesteela always kills Magnezone. This makes it so that getting two kills is an impossibility unless it is the Z set, which is admittedly a problematic match-up to any team with Ferrothorn+Celesteela (or either of the two + Mega Mawile/Mega Scizor). This is important because Alakazam is not always mega evolved earlier in games and it is possible that they Volt Switch out of Celesteela earlier on in some scenarios. The second thing worth noting is that Bulldoze oftentimes puts Magnezone in Shadow Ball range from Mega Alakazam; if Magnezone has taken Stealth Rock or any other chip damage, then this is always the case, too. This means that you avoid the sequence where your attempted counter-trap of a Specs or Z Magnezone (or even Scarf if Mega Alakazam is chipped) is thwarted by a Focus Blast miss, which can spell doom for this team in most cases. Another pro of Bulldoze is that it lets you chip Heatran; this means that Focus Blast from Mega Alakazam or Hydro Pump from Greninja can always kill without doubt afterwards, which is nice considering that Heatran normally lives both from full. In addition, it makes opposing Heatran at least hesitate from repeatedly coming in, which can prove to be annoying to Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex. Finally, the last thing to note is that Bulldoze is an out against specific Reuniclus set; if you can Bulldoze, then no matter how much speed they creep, Toxapex will be able to get off a faster Haze before you scout out the set and determine what the appropriate counterplay is in the long-term. This team often has to feel out that scenario, especially when I go with Explosion over Punishment on Landorus-Therian like the current import has and I used in my SPL game with it, so you want to get as much leverage in the game and knowledge of the set as possible before proceeding. Bulldoze is most definitely justified on this team on the Ferrothorn.

Last edited:
Great job with the samples, just have a question about suapah's Mega Zam + SG Mag BO. What's the role of Gliscor on this team? Its main role defensively is to be a check to Heatran, but this is already covered by Mega Zam, making it seem a bit redundant. This is especially confusing to me because the team seems to get cleanly 6-0'd by certain sweepers like Volcarona and Hawlucha, so does it really have the luxury to run another Heatran check when it's already covered by a teammate? I understand Gliscor gives the team a rocker, but wouldn't something like tank Chomp fit better since it gives you rocks, toxic support, and can actually check Hawlucha and non-Z bug buzz Volc? I guess Gliscor does help the team check Mawile, but it doesn't even have the defense EV's to avoid being KOed by play rough into sucker. If someone could help me understand the nuances of this team, I'd really appreciate it

Great job with the samples, just have a question about suapah's Mega Zam + SG Mag BO. What's the role of Gliscor on this team? Its main role defensively is to be a check to Heatran, but this is already covered by Mega Zam, making it seem a bit redundant. This is especially confusing to me because the team seems to get cleanly 6-0'd by certain sweepers like Volcarona and Hawlucha, so does it really have the luxury to run another Heatran check when it's already covered by a teammate? I understand Gliscor gives the team a rocker, but wouldn't something like tank Chomp fit better since it gives you rocks, toxic support, and can actually check Hawlucha and non-Z bug buzz Volc? I guess Gliscor does help the team check Mawile, but it doesn't even have the defense EV's to avoid being KOed by play rough into sucker. If someone could help me understand the nuances of this team, I'd really appreciate it
Zam is the team's only Heatran defense, otherwise it falls apart. If Zam's not Mega'd, Heatran can it bop it for up to 80% or so on the switch in, or outright KO any Zam, mega'd or not, with a Z-Move. Gliscor checks lots of Heatran variants, though it may die to Steel or Fire Z. While Garchomp might also check a number of Heatran sets, the trade off on Chomp is that it can't check Lando-T or status stall at all, while Gliscor has reliable recovery and eats Toxic for breakfast. Every team has trade offs: this one struggles against Volca and Lucha but whoever made it figured checking them was less important than checking Heatran (which makes sense, because Heatran's a beast now that Zyg's gone).

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Looks good, but just questioning why Zapdos isn't 248 HP instead of 252. Most everything on that team (even Aggron) is optimized for SR besides unaware clef, but for clef that inefficiency's reasonable.
Zapdos running 252 HP is optimal. ABR figured this out during WCOP through a series of calculations with Leftovers/Stealth Rock/etc. and it’s very much intentional. I can elaborate later when not on mobile if need be.

The alomomola spread is another question mark for me; I know the alo spread is taken from the analysis, but I feel like it needs way more HP . Just off the top of my head I know that the analysis spread is guaranteed 2hko from Jolly Band Hoopa, whereas max/max def Alo has low chance of 2hko (lefties is 3hko). Yes there's a mega-aggron, but if there are safer mons to scout with (mons that can self-heal) then I'd rather use those in the immediate. I've just never been sold on the analysis spread esp for this team since there's a SpD Mew paired with Chansey, but if there are sound arguments for the spread as is then I'm open to having my mind changed.
Band Hoopa I find to be very uncommon and I normally use Alomomola to pivot, but then go to Clefable or Mega Aggron. Seeing as this team lacks an Electric resist, I like having the substantial investment in SDef so that Alomomola can at least minimize the momentum gains from Rotom-Wash and AV Magearna if necessary, but using near Max HP is fine if you don’t find this to be troublesome — it merely comes down to preference and I prefer as I have it after testing out both. It is worth noting that the difference in Wish recovery isn’t a big deal either way to me; it still let’s other Pokemon recover sufficient amounts either way.

But as is, the analysis argument reads off the same as the old 4/252/252 Chansey nonsense.
While you raise points worth discussing overall, this is a poor comparison. The Alomomola spread on site is more than justified. As said before, it helps taking weaker Volt Switches comfortably. On top of that, you also have more of an ability to pivot into Rocky Helmet Tornadus-Therian consistently and Tape Lele once if ever absolutely needed. You still have sufficient PDef to check Mega Charizard X, which is otherwise quite problematic to this team, too. There are other viable spreads for Alomomola, much like various other Pokemon, but the on-site one is certainly fine.

OK so i have a team that i have tested out for around a week and i only lost two games

quick dwebbus (Jolteon) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Discharge
- Quick Attack
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Swift

nutsack head (Garchomp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Tailwind
- Defog
- Heat Wave
- Quick Attack

big ***** (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
- Toxic

not contrary btw (Serperior) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 116 SpA / 140 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Dragon Pulse

********** (Gengar) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Icy Wind

Now it may not look like its an amazing team but it honestly is
serperior and kyrem-black are offencive / defencive monsters, if you have a feeling something bad is going to happen switch into one of these two and its a ok,
everyone else here is mostly offencive, balloons on both gengar and jolt are amazing touching so they dont get instantly ohko
assvest is good on garchomp because every sp attack that would ohko him is now a 2hko
i mostly start off with talon flame to get a tailwind then switch in onto garchomp or gengar, id switch roost for maybe u-turn
on jolt you can switch quick attack to something else like a shadow ball or a better stab

Sorry if i didnt give a good description of this team, im kinda new to this, but please use this team and point out any weaknesses because so far i havent really found any

Last edited by a moderator:

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Think something like this belongs more in rate my team or tutoring for more constructive advice and direction. We are more open to teams that are proven on the higher end of the ladder or tournaments currently. Feel free to PM and if you have any questions, but we won’t be accepting this team for a number of reasons.

Think something like this belongs more in rate my team or tutoring for more constructive advice and direction. We are more open to teams that are proven on the higher end of the ladder or tournaments currently. Feel free to PM and if you have any questions, but we won’t be accepting this team for a number of reasons.
can you help me by giving me the link please im kinda new to smogon so i dont really know anything

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hello people! I have come to show an offensive team with Mega Diancie! I noticed all the sample teams didn't have a mega Diancie. I thought I might post a team since Mega Diancie is a really good pokemon.

diancie-mega.gif
1524264626116.gif
Sprslm787.gif
tumblr_inline_oynyogaBmt1swxvdg_250.gif
rotom-w.gif
landorus-therian.gif

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Firium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello people! I have come to show an offensive team with Mega Diancie! I noticed all the sample teams didn't have a mega Diancie. I thought I might post a team since Mega Diancie is a really good pokemon.

View attachment 157925View attachment 157926View attachment 157927View attachment 157928View attachment 157934View attachment 157935
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Firium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
Hello Datsplashtho. While your submission is greatly appreciated and hope that Leo considers a Mega Diancie team in the future, I would like to make a mention of this part of his post:
Moreover, I will not be opening this thread for submissions at the moment as I have in the past, but this may change in the future. Thank you for understanding, I hope this resource is of great use, and if there are any questions, please PM me on here or Discord!
Feel free to reach out to him if you have any questions.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hello Datsplashtho. While your submission is greatly appreciated and hope that Leo considers a Mega Diancie team in the future, I would like to make a mention of this part of his post:

Feel free to reach out to him if you have any questions.
Oh, ok! I didn’t see that part! Thanks for clearing that up.

ithrowrocksatkids

Banned deucer.
https://pokepast.es/cef46d26aa666c75Pretty self explanatory medi is an amazing breaker right now and loves spikes from ash gren and it breaks shit for ash gren. The cool thing about the team is ps mage which breaks stall very well and pressures out stuff like msab. Aside from that some of its checks and counters consist of stuff like gliscor, heatran, ferro etc all that die to medicham along with spikes. Think this would be cool for samples because it doesn’t showcase a very good newer set in ps mage and stuff like tankchomp.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
What's all that bulk on Magearna for?
It's worth noting that the "standard" Calm Mind + Pain Split Magearna spread does not pump fully into SAtk and hardly uses any speed. Hell, there really is no standard spread, but they oftentimes double as a check to Psychic types and Tornadus-Therian, thus explaining HP and potential Defense investment. You will never really see it EV'd the same way as Shift Gear variants, but it also will never go as far into the defensive investments as Assault Vest variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)