Project USM OU Teambuilding Workshop [On Hiatus]

We're currently Closed!

banner by: Ssensenh (ty for the art!)builders: Anish Eternam Finchinator Hayburner LL lyd sedertz Ske Mask The Slump God Snowy

op adapted from: false (ty for the op!)
approved by the ou moderating team[/B]​

Introduction & Rules
Welcome to the USM OU Teambuilding Workshop! Here, we'll take requested starting points or cores of 1-2 Pokemon and produce a team based around it, post it here, and include a description of our teambuilding process to hopefully help others improve their building toolkit. There's still a couple of rules you should follow:

• To request a core, simply post the sets and have a brief description providing an overview of how the core works/what it does.
  • Limit your cores to a maximum of 2 Pokemon.
  • Any Pokemon ranked below B+ on the Viability Rankings may not be included in a full core—this means that if you wanted to request something with a B or lower Pokemon, you must request that Pokemon alone.
  • You may only request one core at a time. Once your core team request has been finished, you are free to make another request.
  • Do not post a request if the thread is marked: [Closed]
  • Do not delete or significantly edit your post once you've posted.
  • Do not PM or VM builders to build quickly.
  • Do not ask us to rate or modify an already fully constructed or nearly fully constructed teams.
  • If your request is deemed unworkable or impractical it won't add it to the list of requests. A core is also likely to be removed if left unclaimed for an extended period of time.

Request Post Template
Here is a template for request posts. Note that this is not required but is recommended.
Code:
(Sprites here)
[hide=Importable][/hide]
(Description text here)
If you would like to include sprites or models in your post, here are a couple of suggestions:

Current Requests

:blobthinking:

Last edited:
Requesting a team around Dual Dance Fairium Magearna

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt
Shift Gear Magearna is a sorely overlooked threat that deserves way more love. Its versatility and ability to pick its counters is astounding, and makes for a potent endgame sweeper that doesn't require nearly as much careful support as something like Volcarona or Zard-X.

This cool set can rip though the dualdance boltbeam set's checks courtesy of a brutal 195 bp fairy STAB backed by calm mind boosts.
The lack of variety in poison type pokemon that are relevant help this set thrive, with only Toxapex, Venusaur-M, and Amoonguss coming to mind (the latter two of which are falling off in usage).

The EV's and final coverage move can be freely changed if it suits the team better. I'd really appreciate if the pokemon was built around in an offensive manner of any sort (basically, no semi/hard stall please). Happy building!

Last edited:

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile

Recent revamp of Mega Heracross in OU C&C sparked my interest in this Pokemon itself and I always wanted to make it pull a good work from when I started 'playing' OU back in ORAS, but my attempts didn't go well. After introduction of threatening Pokemon like Zygarde and departure of checks like Talonflame in SM, I feel like Mega Heracross is significantly more viable choice of Mega Evolution in teams that need a strong wallbreaker.

Nature and the last move may change depending on the team structure (e.g. Adamant -> Jolly, Pin Missile -> Substitute / Bullet Seed). Thanks in advance.

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

So I recently became interested in this bad boy right here since it has the special defense and movepool to take on many common threats in ou. Mons such as rotom-w, ferrothorn, scizor, serperior, zard y, volcarona, ash gren, zapdos, tapu koko (who runs gleam anymore? lol), and heatran are among the mons that goodra can switch in to and hit very hard with its coverage. It also switches in to grass moves i.e. spore and leech seed so it can take on amoonguss as well as cele if predicted correctly. I think this mon could be a real asset to the right team, especially with some form of wish support. Happy building :]

SG Fairium Magearna + Mega Latios

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shift Gear

Latios-Mega (M) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Pretty standard stuff right here. Mega Latios takes care of Heatran, Lando, (Unboosted) Zygarde, Toxapex, Gastrodon and Gliscor, among other 'mons that maybe put an roadblock to Thicc Gearz (A.K.A Magearna), who is able to sweep pretty easily once it's checks are gone. This core can work on Bulky Offense and Balance teams, since both M-Latios and Magearna have decent bulk and good matchups against some top threats such as the aforementioned 'mons, non Dazzling Gleam Tapu Koko, non Fire Punch/Knock Off Zeraora, Mega Medicham, etc.
However, none of both have access to Stealth Rock, Defog or Spikes. Magearna doesn't have enough bulk to check Ash Gren, Lele, Z-move variants of Koko, etc, Chansey walls any sweeping attempt, and VoltTurn support is also needed.
Anyway, these both only need a good backbone and entry hazard support to really shine. Thanks you for reading this and for your help.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DMDW

I wanted to make a team around Bullet Seed SD Hera + Bulu a while ago because the set completely dismantles stall teams and I was facing a well known stall lord in a tour. I understand that the team's slow as shit, but it has plenty of room to outplay faster threats and doesn't really lose to any of the mons that are traditionally troublesome for slower teams like Protean Greninja and QD Volcarona. The first thing I realized when using this set was that it gets walled by Mega Latios and can't net the OHKO on Reuniclus, so I immediately threw CB Weavile onto the team to pressure these psychics and formed a potent offensive core with the starting point of Mega Hera + Bulu. At this point, I realized that the team got blasted by Mega Scizor as well as Fairy-types in general, so I added on an SR Heatran to get a little bit of role compression as well as help deal with these sets. After putting on these first 4, I realized that this team got fucked up by opposing Heatran and desperately needed Defog because Spikes were autolosses at that point. To finish off the team, I needed a fat water that could blanket check a lot of the faster threats that traditionally pressured these builds because at this point I had realized that no Scarfer would be able to finish off this team while still dealing with all the issues that it had, so I added on a Toxapex to make the team foolproof against Volcarona and lure in threats like Tapu Lele and Mega Medicham that would be annoying as hell to deal with otherwise. This team's main issue is Mega Pinsir and while is is a fucking horrible matchup, is is not unwinnable if you play very well. If Heatran can get up SR and keep it up, then Mega Pinsir will be in CB Weavile's Ice Shard Range after a round of SR in its mega form or SR + minimal chip in its regular form. Mega Pinsir being a threat is the main reason why I ran AV Edge Bulu over the more modern SD sets, on top of the team's complete hatred for Mega Alakazam outside of it and the extra special bulk being very appreciated in general here.

+
or

Fireless Volcarona + Magnet Pull, or as I like to call it, "Cold Heat", is something that I think could be good but am too bad a building to really test out. The idea is that by forgoing Fire STAB, you can hit both Heatran and Toxapex in the same set. Of course, Steels wall you without Fire, and that's where the Magnet Pull support comes in.

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground] / [Ice]
- Psychic

(HP Ice is for if Alolem is used)

Requesting a team around Roost+3 Attacks Mega-Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang/Earthquake/Fire Fang/Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace/Earthquake/Fire Fang

Mega-Aerodactyl can be switch on Heatran(without flash cannon), Torn-T, Gliscor(without ice fang), which are dominating the meta. It outspeeds modest M-Zam, koko, M-Lopunny, and its movepool helps it easily 2HKO Torn-T, M-Latios, Lando-T, Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Zygarde and Zapdos (most are OHKO's after rocks).
The EV's and final coverage move can be changed (actually I have problems on choosing the third and fourth moves to make a better coverage ).

Requesting a Shuca Koko team.

tapukoko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

Shuca Koko has risen in usage following a rise in ground types such as Zygarde. It will be able to beat ground types that switch in and use a STAB ground move. And with those dominating the meta Shuca Koko has risen to the top set.
BOP

And Some Lemonade Please

Last edited:
requesting team around Mamoswine

Mamoswine @ Metronome
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Substitute/Knock Off

Ground/Ice STAB combination will always be threatening in Pokemon and the prominence of Balance in the meta sets Mamo in a great spot. I thought Sub+Metronome can be a cool tech but can use whichever set

Heart Doom

Banned deucer.
CB kartana

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

band is kartana is a set very fun to use and very strong, so I want a team with her

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP 252 Att 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Swords Dance

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA 4 SpD 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Dark Pulse
-Hydro Pump
-Spikes
-Water Shuriken

I've been testing this core for some time and it's something I like. This M-Scizor is geared towards being a very offensive sweeper with adamant+max attack+swords dance. Specs Ash-Gren is here to threaten Heatran and physical walls, which in theory can screw Scizor over if I make a mistake, and to set up spikes.

Last edited:
Edit: Requesting a team around Mega Houndoom. I know it's not listed on the VR, but good base Special Attack + Solar Power + Nasty Plot makes this a pretty strong wallbreaker.

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb/Taunt

Thanks

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heart Doom

Here's a solid example of CB Kart + Zone that handles most of the metagame pretty well that's a slight edit of a team made by our very own Eternam. Zone + Kart being the steels makes this team a tad shaky on the defensive end, but otherwise it's pretty solid. CB Kart breaks for CM Zam/Scarf Land to clean late game if need be and Bulu/Pex creates a strong defensive backbone to fall back on in mus where you're constantly pressured like facing HO and stuff. I really like this team atm because it's basically an autowin against rain teams + Tspikes dismantles most of the other cheese running around ladder.

MysitclaHaze JuanchoTacorta

Both of your requests pair together fairly nicely so I decided to combine them into one team. This team basically uses Koko to bait in grasses and pivot out to Mamoswine so that it can break through the opposing team. I know basically no one uses Draco Lati atm, but I made it Draco on this team specifically because this team hates letting megazam in, so being able to blast it w draco is really nice and on top of that its just a nice nuke move that people don't expect most of the time, with Ice Beam and HP Fire both being unneeded on this team. This gets blasted by Lele usually, so I decided to run Payapa Poison Jab because I'm clinically insane and need something to chip it into range of one of my revenge killers. This team is gonna find Psychium Volc very annoying if you aren't careful and has a couple of other odd annoying matchups, but it's pretty solid overall.

Last edited:
I'm new to smogon so sorry if I did this wrong but I'd like a team built around Chaney but I'd want it to be Chaney offence not stall. Im too lazy to add a picture and everyone knows what Chaney looks like. I don't care about the set

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Stun Spore / Quiver Dance

I think Bee is the best Sticky Web user in the tier because of its tremendous speed and access to utility and boosting. I've messed around with it before, but hoping to see a build that capitalizes on the momentum Queen Bee can create.

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Requesting a team around Roost+3 Attacks Mega-Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang/Earthquake/Fire Fang/Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace/Earthquake/Fire Fang

Mega-Aerodactyl can be switch on Heatran(without flash cannon), Torn-T, Gliscor(without ice fang), which are dominating the meta. It outspeeds modest M-Zam, koko, M-Lopunny, and its movepool helps it easily 2HKO Torn-T, M-Latios, Lando-T, Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Zygarde and Zapdos (most are OHKO's after rocks).
The EV's and final coverage move can be changed (actually I have problems on choosing the third and fourth moves to make a better coverage ).

This team supports Aerodactyl with Zygarde, which comes in on the Steels Aero dislikes and can sometimes get boosts on them, as well as paralyze Clefable, trying to open holes in the opposing team so that Aero can clean it up. Heatran complements them by pressuring Clefable/grasses, and is the main out for this team vs fatter teams, and Tornadus-T also helps vs grasses, since both Zygarde and Aerodactyl aren't great vs them. Ferrothorn provides some good Spikes support and Clefable provides Wish for Tran/Zyg and also Rocks, helping with the Zygarde matchup. Torn set might look a little wack but its pretty decent in practice, since aside from helping as a secondary check to SD Gliscor/Scizor, which I kind of need since Aerodactyl/ Tran can get worn down, its also pretty effective in dealing with many rockers such as Ferrothorn or Gliscor, and if you get a para off vs Clefable you can come in to that and later pivot Heatran and stuff, and is kinda similar to some AV Torn sets in ORAS which lacked both Knock and U-Turn

Last edited:
Glow - Mega Latios Shift Gear Magearna Balance

NotInMyChristianServer this is the squad I've built for your request. Mega Latios and Magearna do have great synergy and I feel like they fit very well with the rest of the team, providing a consistent Balance team. Swords Dance Careful Tapu Bulu is quite an effective breaker that could also provide defensive merit, so I felt like it fitted pretty well on this type of Magearna Balance archetype. Next Up is Heatran, making an outstanding core with Tapu Bulu, not only defensively but also offensively, nonethless, Ive opted for the Specially Defensive set to better take on Tapu Lele and other special attackers while still pressuring Stall and threats like Celesteela and Ferrothorn. Clefable provides Stealth Rock and a blanket check to several physical attackers, the Calm nature and SpD EVs lets it take on opposing Mega Latios which would be a massive threat otherwise, the team already has plenty of Zygarde switch ins anyways so its not that big of a deal. Finally, to round things off is Scarf Landorus-T, the EV spread may seem a bit odd, but it outruns Modest Mega Alakazam instead of Timid variants in trade off higher Attack letting it pressure the opposing team more effectively, Of course this squad is by no means perfect. The likes of Kartana, Greninja, Volcarona, and Hydreigon can be big threats but the Magearna archetype is somewhat limiting so I feel like you can't do too much about them unfor tunately, and nonetheless all of them can be played around to some extent. I hope you liked the finished product as much as I did, thanks for reading and have fun with it :)

Glow - Mega Latios Shift Gear Magearna Balance

NotInMyChristianServer this is the squad I've built for your request. Mega Latios and Magearna do have great synergy and I feel like they fit very well with the rest of the team, providing a consistent Balance team. Swords Dance Careful Tapu Bulu is quite an effective breaker that could also provide defensive merit, so I felt like it fitted pretty well on this type of Magearna Balance archetype. Next Up is Heatran, making an outstanding core with Tapu Bulu, not only defensively but also offensively, nonethless, Ive opted for the Specially Defensive set to better take on Tapu Lele and other special attackers while still pressuring Stall and threats like Celesteela and Ferrothorn. Clefable provides Stealth Rock and a blanket check to several physical attackers, the Calm nature and SpD EVs lets it take on opposing Mega Latios which would be a massive threat otherwise, the team already has plenty of Zygarde switch ins anyways so its not that big of a deal. Finally, to round things off is Scarf Landorus-T, the EV spread may seem a bit odd, but it outruns Modest Mega Alakazam instead of Timid variants in trade off higher Attack letting it pressure the opposing team more effectively, Of course this squad is by no means perfect. The likes of Kartana, Greninja, Volcarona, and Hydreigon can be big threats but the Magearna archetype is somewhat limiting so I feel like you can't do too much about them unfor tunately, and nonetheless all of them can be played around to some extent. I hope you liked the finished product as much as I did, thanks for reading and have fun with it :)
Hello, I want to thanks you for building the team for me, it's pretty good (at least, it did give me good result on ladder, if it says something). The only things that bugs me, really, is the Shiny Mega Latios (it's awful AF) and losing momentum scouting which set the opposing Greninja/Volcarona is running.
Again, ty, and have a nice day/night/whatever :psyglad:
EDIT: here are some replies of the team in action, if someone want to see them
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-788940208
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-788941181
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-788943350

ayedan

5 am in Toronto
hey! I dont know how viable this will be but, I was looking through teambuilder and saw this.
Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Stored Power/Ice Beam/whatever attack works

If there is anyway of building with this set, that would be cool! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Requesting a team around Mega Pinsir and Zygarde

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Glare/ Toxic
Believe this core could have some potential when the metagame reverts to being balance heavy, with Pinsir breaking walls that Zygarde usually fails to dent. Zygarde set could also be set-up, it's really up to you

Last edited:
Hey,

I love bulky offensive. Guts boosted conkeldurr with drain punch is my core. I did not manage to build a decent team around it yet and in view of his viability ranking which I checked now, it does make more sense now as the ranking does not exist. However, I really love the guts drain punch bulky offensive combination and would love to see this mon putting in the work that it is very well capable of.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)