Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor / Ice Beam
- Roost / Psyshock

The workings of this core is simple. Mega Altaria and Latias both love having Steel-Types removed. Latias can do this with it's Electrium Z set, as well as annoy Amoongus and other Poison types that would switch into Mega Altaria's fairy STAB. In return, Mega Altaria checks Dark types like Krookidile and Hydreigon for Latias.

+

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind / Toxic
- Block

Fat Steel + Fat Water cores are pretty common across all tiers, whether it be RU's infamous Registeel+Milotic, or Uber's Necrozma Dusk Mane+Kyogre, the typings just go quite well together. This core is the same, but more of an offensive take on it. Mega Aggron functions as a Curse wincon in this instance, and Slowbro can trap Aggron's answers with Block. Slowbro checks the majority of Fighting, Ground, and Fire Types for Mega Aggron, and Mega Aggron checks a good amount of Slowbro's answers in Grass, Dark, and Bug, as well as somewhat Ghost and Electric types.

That's all for this post, will probably add more later. Have a good day all!

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
1557524629019.png1557524646270.png
Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock / Earthquake

Swampert (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Facade / Toxic / Superpower
These two are seriously good at smashing teams, CB pert can lure in pokemon like Choice Scarf Hydreigon, Latias, and Celebi and give Terrakion more air to ya know break shit. Together they put a lot of pressure on BO/Balance teams relying on mons like Amoonguss, Malt, etc too. Overall just a fun core to break stuff with given that you have other options for mons lured by Ice Punch Pert. Pert's fourth move slot is pretty flexible with Toxic to wear down switchins like Hydreigon intially before chunking with Ice Punch while keeping the facade (ha) of a Defensive Pert. Superpower lets you OHKO Hydreigon and can potentially be used against like a Shuca Berry mon. Terrakion can also run the Choice Band set.

1557524941943.png1557524906166.png1557524926579.png
Mienshao @ Assault Vest
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Pursuit

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
Used this core twice in UUPL with good results thus far-- these three are strong support with Aero trapping stuff with the pressure of Toxic Spikes + Fake Out from Nidoqueen and Mienshao respectively. Not running Pursuit is probably rather risky on Aero given how Lati can exploit the other two members, but at the end of the day Aero really only needs Stone Edge imho so you can tailor the rest to fit your team. Nidoqueen can also run the Defensive set as well. Replay Replay

1557525613111.png1557525638528.png
Roserade @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
Two mons that have started to get more relevant-- Roserade and Scarf Scizor! Roserade is a rather intididating breaker with the option to sleep counterplay already but Choice Scarf Scizor compliments it really well by removing the faster Psychic-types like Celebi and Latias as well as picking off threats like Aero and Rak as usual.

View attachment 174638View attachment 174639
Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock / Earthquake

Swampert (F) @ Choice Band
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Facade / Toxic / Superpower
These two are seriously good at smashing teams, CB pert can lure in pokemon like Choice Scarf Hydreigon, Latias, and Celebi and give Terrakion more air to ya know break shit. Together they put a lot of pressure on BO/Balance teams relying on mons like Amoonguss, Malt, etc too. Overall just a fun core to break stuff with given that you have other options for mons lured by Ice Punch Pert. Pert's fourth move slot is pretty flexible with Toxic to wear down switchins like Hydreigon intially before chunking with Ice Punch while keeping the facade (ha) of a Defensive Pert. Superpower lets you OHKO Hydreigon and can potentially be used against like a Shuca Berry mon. Terrakion can also run the Choice Band set.

View attachment 174642View attachment 174640View attachment 174641
Mienshao @ Assault Vest
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Pursuit

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
Used this core twice in UUPL with good results thus far-- these three are strong support with Aero trapping stuff with the pressure of Toxic Spikes + Fake Out from Nidoqueen and Mienshao respectively. Not running Pursuit is probably rather risky on Aero given how Lati can exploit the other two members, but at the end of the day Aero really only needs Stone Edge imho so you can tailor the rest to fit your team. Nidoqueen can also run the Defensive set as well. Replay Replay

View attachment 174643View attachment 174644
Roserade @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
Two mons that have started to get more relevant-- Roserade and Scarf Scizor! Roserade is a rather intididating breaker with the option to sleep counterplay already but Choice Scarf Scizor compliments it really well by removing the faster Psychic-types like Celebi and Latias as well as picking off threats like Aero and Rak as usual.
stop revealing our heat smfh, we need this shit for uupl smh

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Right, time to revive this thread. Since Mega Sableye has been banished to UUBL, can't think of a more perfect time to revive this thread so we have some up to date cores before we suspect scizor or USUM UU comes to a close.

Updates:
Moved the clanger cores to outdated cores (RIP his beautiful soul).

Also added Scizorphobic and Sickist's cores. Always going to be grateful for any sorts of contributions.

On another note - was going to move Aurorus + Sandslash to outdated, but that shit's still C rank on the VR and ict had to go and use it in UUPL week 4 and win with it. But that's literally the only usage I've seen of it in forever - so not opposed to moving it to the outdated section if I get enough responses saying it should be moved.

Anyways, thanks to everyone that's contributed to these threads. I look forward to seeing more cores. Also replays are greatly appreciated. It's always good - especially for people who are newer to the tier - to see teams with these cores and to see them in action.

Since we're trying to put this thread back up I'll come in with another balanced core I've really liked using lately

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald

Scizor @ Buginium Z
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Suicune helps Scizor by giving it a solid switch for fire moves and scalds that it despises, using most of those waters and fires like Tentacruel, Volcanion, etc. as setup fodder or PP stalling them until they can't threaten Scizor. Scizor on the other side of the coin can lure Amoonguss to make it less obnoxious to Suicune using it's Bug Z. Bulky Sciz also handles Celebi and Latias, two major nuisances to Suicune as well as doing well against Altaria, who can also use Suicune as setup fodder if it's refresh or facade.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Since we're trying to revive the thread I'll also put up a balance core I've been fond of recently,

+
+

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Nihilego helps scizor and hippo by giving it a solid moltres swap in, and backup against things such as babiri togekiss. When coupled with sand from hippo, it is able to raise it's already decent spdef to massive levels. With protect tech, it is able to scout moves from things such as choice scarf krookodile, and together hippowdon and scizor offer a perfect set of switch ins to the pursuit trapprers such as krook, bisharp and aero due to scizor's z-crystal allowing it to act as a knock off sponge.

Scizor in turn helps to lure in and remove amoongus thanks to it's buginium tech, which both hippowdon and nihilego greatly appreciate. It also acts a way of dealing with latias's that try to come to come in on the other 2, and also non-hp fire celebis which are lured in by hippo. Nihilego can also help against celebi's thanks to sand since it outspeeds, though it should watch out for swapping directly on a z-psychic.

On the sets provided Nihilego runs a cleaner set with 3 attacks and 176 SpA EVs allowing it to gain speed boosts, but it can also run 252 SpA EVs with STABs + Rocks, allowing Hippowdon to run toxic instead for rotom-heat, or Tspikes, but the combination of grass knot and thunderbolt on the provided set allows it to hurt would be swap ins such as pursuit trappers and empoleon/tentacruel.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roost
I'm surprised this wasn't already posted-- the basic Sand Balance backbone. With Stealth Rocks support from Hippowdon, Sylveon's cleric and wishing capabilities, and Aerodactyl's general utility there are multiple cores that can function with it. Hence the like 3 Sand Balance RMTs posted recently lol. Sylveon EVs let it beat CM Latias without resorting to running Return/Frustration. s/o faded love

Terrakion @ Rockium / Life Orb / Babiri Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Earthquake / Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Will-O-Wisp / Destiny Bond
Pretty much just attempting to fill the void of Clanger, Terrakion works well with Froslass. Double Taunt support can be handy for Pokemon like Talonflame, but Terrakion has other options in that slot. With HO Teams utilizing this core, you'll liking be leading with Froslass and making sure hazards get up and stay up. Terrakion being able to OHKO Rotom-H is cool too. Terrakion’s item is rather flexible for the rest of the team, most notably Rockium lets Terrakion OHKO Gligar at +2.

Also, I wanted to advocate for keeping the veil core as someone who still uses it a fair amount when laddering/built icts team. I personally don't see it as that much different than like Sticky Web setter + Spinblocker/Defiant, or a Froslass core tbh. Just getting the remaining members in a good place to break stuff. And more importantly they're still on the VR.

Last edited:

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Future Sight
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Toxic

I'm astonished that Future Sight Celebi + any fighting type hasn't been posted on this thread. I've been using this core recently and it's very hard to switch into. Celebi is a WAY better setter for me instead of Slowbro. You can also sub Terrakion with just regular SD. The point of this core is that it abuses the fuck out of fighting + future sight.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Fire Fang

Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

This core is pretty explanatory, Hippo has sand stream and Mandibuzz and Aerodactyl abuse the hell out of it. Aero gets the SpD boost while Mandibuzz can be a sleep switch-in and not get affected by Hail and Sand aswell. Mandibuzz can run Defog> Toxic/ Taunt. Aerodactyl was ice fang for Gligar and such and Hippo is fire fang for SD zor, which explains why it's Max Defense + Rocky Helmet. I think that's all I need to explain about this core. The core can also just be Hippo + Mandi, while you can run other things for Aero, but Aerodactyl is the best option though.

Last edited:
Glad to see you taking over the thread Stoward. Here are a few cores I think are pretty good and have had success with. I don't have replays which you mentioned would be nice, but maybe if I have time I'll try add some later. Apoligies if any of these cores have already been posted, I am simply going off the archive when making this post. Hope you enjoy and some of these are useful to you ^_^

Gengar @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Pretty standard core revolved around Sub Gengar getting opportunities to start breaking with the help of Hydreigon pivoting around. Hydra invites in every fairy type which is just a free Sub for Gengar to start tearing through teams that lack a solid answer to it. Hydra appreciates Gengar removing these fairy types while in return it can check threats like Krookodile which pose an issue to it. Both these Pokemon have issues with SpD Pokemon like Blissey so support is required for them to handle things like this.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

This is a very common core to find on VoltTurn teams. Mega Manectric pressures bulky waters (Suicune, Tentacruel, Emp etc.) with its stabs that would give Scizor a hard time while pressuring bulky Steels via Overheat. Scizor helps with removing threats like Latias with Pursuit which is a hard stop to Mega Mane. It also threatens out Pokemon like Mega Altaria which can use Mega Mane as a set-up opportunity. It can slowly get chip against bulky grounds with U-turn to put them into range for a Manec HP [Ice]. While I won't add it in the import, you can also use Bug Z Scizor to break bulky grounds like Hippo for Manectric etc.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch / Focus Punch

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 164 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psyshock

I was experimenting with this recently and the two work nicely together. Slowbro running dual stabs needs a few requirements met for it to be able to clean most teams. It needs offensive ghost types like Gengar and Chandelure removed as well as more common nuisances like Celebi and Latias out of the way. Muk deals with all of these and doesn't fail to trap and remove them. It can also spread Toxic around thanks to Poison Touch which is rly nice for a CM setter. In return Slowbro deals with the fighting types that take advantage of Muk and can beat most if not all ground types thanks to its bulk.

Hoopa @ Fightinium Z / Ghostium Z
Ability: Magician
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Psyshock
- Substitute

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

I honestly think Hoopa is a pretty cool and underrated Pokemon, so I felt like submitting a core for it. Klefki works well with Hoopa thanks to it providing a lot of support it appreciates. Thunder Wave helps Hoopa out a lot, especially with how slow it is and being forced to run a Modest nature. It allows it to outspeed most threats and handle them. Spikes is also greatly appreciated for breaking through balance and stall a lot easier. Klefki also helps against Hydreigon and Krookodile which give Hoopa issues. I mainly have more experience with Fight Z, but Ghost Z also works fine here. This core can be susceptible to Scizor if Hoopa isn't behind a Sub, so adding a check to that is recommended and / or using Foul Play Klefki to help with it.

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Toxic

Scarf Ape isn't as popular as it used to be, but it works pretty nicely with Celebi. It lures in a lot of bulky water and ground types which Celebi loves to take advantage of and use as a set up opportunity. It also pressures the steel types in the tier that give Celebi a lot of issues such as Scizor, Doublade, Bisharp etc. While both don't like Latias, Ape can still chip it down with U-turn or Toxic it (Toxic is just an option I've been liking in the final slot, you can use standard coverage options like Gunk Shot). If you run this core, you'll still want to add something to better handle Latias (E.g. Pursuit support) as well as adding a flying resist w/e you choose it to be.​

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Alright, update time:

1. Crocune + Scizor by Smallsmallrose - accept. Synergy is nice.

1. Hippo + Scizor + Nihilego by Estarossa - Reject. This was only rejected because we have multiple balance core submissions of hippo + rock type and I found that Hippo + Sylveon + Maero would be easier for newer builders who wish to use a balance core to utilize. I may reconsider this one later and re-add. idk.

2. Hippo + Sylveon + Mega Aerodactyl by Scizorphobic - accept. I'm always a fan of Hippo + Rock type. This seemed like the best of the 3 posted. As you mentioned - there's been like 3 sand balance RMTs lately. Perhaps it's my love of BW, but I'm a sucker for sand balance. I hope we get to see more of it.

3. Terrakion + Frosslass by Scizorphobic - reject. Terrakion + Frosslass is cool. I feel like there's better ways to do Double Sash HOs. If this were Rocks+SD+Z move Terrakion then I'd have probably accepted it.

4. Terrakion + Celebi by DubFreaknakeeb - reject. Fighting + Psychic core is always nice on paper. I feel like there are better ways to do this. I have seen Future Sight Slowbro put in work - if I saw replays of this I'd probably be more inclined to accept it. But I feel like this would be difficult to build.

5. Hippowdon + Aerodactyl + Mandibuzz by DubFreaknakeeb - reject. The third Sand Core here. I'm a big fan of these sand cores. I don't see Mandibuzz really working in a starting core though. It seems like more of a niche pick rather than anything and not something that I'd recommend new builders use.

6. Substitute Gengar + Choice Scarf Hydreigon by Twilight - Accept. This is a really classic core. Not much to say here that you haven't already covered in your post.

7. Mega Manectric + Choice Band Scizor by Twilight - Accept. Honestly surprised this hasn't already been posted. I swear just about every single VoltTurn team has these 2 featured. (Or sometimes Rotom-H, but yeah, this has been pretty standard for ages. Examples can be seen in Aim's and Pokeisfun's old sample teams).

8. Alolan Muk + Calm Mind Mega Slowbro by Twilight - Accept. Psychics + Support to trap stuff is always cool

9. Hoopa + Klefki by Twilight - Reject. Not too sure about this one. I haven't really seen T-wave spam be a thing (Other than that 1 time I played RBY OU and that was horrible) I feel like Trick room would be easier for newer builders/players to execute than ParaSpam.

8. Psychium-Z Celebi + Choice Scarf Infernape by Twilight - Accept. Classic Fire + Grass and Psychic + Fighting. Also similar to Mega Sceptile + Infernape which was pretty solid in like 2017.

I feel like I should also add that just because your core doesn't get accepted, that doesn't necessarily mean that your core is a bad core. Ideally the goal of this thread is to attract new builders and give them ideas of Pokemon to build around. So more niche picks or Pokemon that are considered harder to build around because of additional support that would be required in order for them to function are unlikely to make it to the OP. Naturally if they see tournament success, or are cores that become featured in Metagame staples, I'll have to include them. I also can't stress enough that posting replays and/or examples of teams will always make me more inclined to accept your core.

Oh yeah, and I haven't forgotten about the cores that haven't been added from Page 2. I'm still in the process of reviewing/discussing those, and will either make a new post or edit this one when I've finished reviewing them. I'm super grateful for all the submissions. Keep up the great work guys :)

Last edited:

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Finally gotten round to updating the cores from early 2019. I'd love to do what I did last time and give feedback for all the cores that were submitted, but I wasn't host at the time, so I can't really post my opinion on why these cores got accepted or rejected as I had no input on the verdict here.

+ Mega Pidgeot + Seismitoad by Smallsmallrose
+ +Mega Aggron + Sylveon + Hydreigon by Twilight
+Nasty Plot infernape + Choice Scarf Krookodile by Twilight
+ Mega Aerodactyl + Nasty Plot or Choice Band Infernape by Twilight
+ Refresh Mega Blastoise + Cleric Sylveon by Scizorphobic
+ Mega Aerodacytl + Moltres by Scizorphobic
+ Rhyperior + Mantine by Scizorphobic
+Bulky Primarina + Mega Steelix by itsjustdrew

Oh and I'm a man of my word, now that Terrakion has been changed from Sash to Rockium-Z
, this core also got added:
+ Rockium Z Terrakion + Sash Lead Frosslass by Scizorphobic

Last edited:
back with some more cores:

+
/

Latias (F) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power / Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Magneton @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Basically, a different take on Drag-Mag. Can't remember where I pulled the Latias set, all I know is that it isn't mine. Basically, Flame Orb prevents Toxic, which alongside Stored Power, allows Latias to function as a really scary stallbreaker. Magneton complements this by removing steel types such as Empoleon for Latias, letting it clean later on and not fear being walled by Steels. Psyshock is also an option over Stored Power if you feel Latias is dead weight in the majority of games, but this kinda hinders your stallbreaking abilities.

+

Reuniclus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Colbur Reuniclus is one of my personal favorite sets, although you miss out on sponging physical attacks as well, you lure Dark types, specifically Krookidile. That plays in the factor here as you partner it with Alolan Muk to trap psychics, as well as annoy other darks such as Hydreigon with PJab+Poison. Pretty brainless to use in my opinion, you just trap psychics early game then win w/ Reuniclus.

+

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Psywave

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Relaxed Nature
- Body Slam
- Defog
- Roost
- Flamethrower

Interesting Stall core I'm surprised wasn't on here. Bronzong+Malt forms a hazard core that checks a plethora of threats by themselves due to Bronzong's ability and typing taking on Fairy, Ice, Steel, and Poison Types, and Altaria taking on Dark and Fire types. Overall, a very interesting Stall core that is simple to use. Also the defensive cores are lacking as a whole, so I'd thought i'd add some.

+

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

This is slightly more difficult core to pull off due to Slowbro Mega being weird with not Mega Evolving right away, but it is a solid core. Cobalion sets up Stealth Rocks and can remove fat things like Alomomola and Dark types, as well as Scizor, all of which annoy Mega Slowbro. Mega Slowbro can then come in and Calm Mind up. Bro defensively checks Fire, Ground, and Fighting types for Cobalion, and Cobalion in return checks Grasses, Darks, and Scizor for Bro.

That's all for now. I'll probably submit more cores later, so expect more subpar formatting. Until then, enjoy!

Last edited:
Double post but back with some more cores after goofing off in the teambuilder. Also threw in a couple cores that weren't there for some reason, but are very common and effective cores. And one of these cores belongs to Amane Misa, so hats off to them for being innovative. Big ole update: added 8 more cores for you all to enjoy.

+

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect / Knock Off / Roar

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn / Toxic / Knock Off

This core is basically Hippo+Emp but better. It's been more popular and generally more consistent due to Gligar's Toxic and Ground immunity making the backbone harder to break. Still same simple workings of the Hippo-Emp core. As Datsplashtho mentioned, Hippo+Emp still has it's merits, but overall, Gligar+Emp is still a valuable addition to the cores.

+

Scizor @ Choice Band / Leftovers / Bugium Z / Fightinium Z / Life Orb
EVs:
- Bullet Punch
- filler
- filler
- anything but defog

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Defog / Pain Split
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

Another core I was surprised to not see in the list. Scizor+Heatom is a well known core among many players. Workings of a simple VoltTurn core, but its more than that. Scizor appreciates Rotom handling Moltres, one of Scizor's biggest answers, and Scizor checks Rock types like MAero and Terrakion, as well as Mega Altaria and Latias. Scizor also enjoys hazards being removed. Also Heatom works with basically any Scizor set, except Defog Scizor on stall because Heatom isnt a good mon on stall.

+

Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

This is Amane Misa's core of Xatu+Feraligatr. Xatu itself is unranked at the moment, but the general idea is that it sets screens for Feraligatr, who has been picking up steam as of the recent Scizor suspect test. Gatr is a nasty mon, even at +1/+1 due to Life Orb boosted Sheer Force attacks, which hit a good majority of the meta for good damage. Xatu / any other screen setter sets screens for Gatr to have a much easier time setting up and sweeping.

+

Infernape @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave

Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Pursuit

Similar to Lucario+Aero, but Infernape acts more as a condition then a wall-breaker in this case. Aero traps psychics with Pursuit as well as checking Moltres, and Infernape abuses fat steels and grounds that wall Aerodactyl. Simple core, but Infernape seems to be slightly more favorable then Lucario these days, so I decided to drop the core here.

+

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Fighting mon+Pursuit is pretty common and I think this is a good example of it. Krookidile checks fast psychic types such as Latias, Celebi, and Starmie that Heracross can't outspeed and KO. Heracross can come in on Grass, Bug, and Fighting moves aimed at Krookidile and also appreciates Krookidile checking Mega Aerodactyl.

+
+

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

A pretty standard defensive core, yet quite effective. Alomomola and Aggron take on Latias, Fire and Flying types (respectively), as well as Aggron setting rocks. Amoongus checks Primarina as well as helping Aggron check Scizor and Mega Altaria. Finally, Alomomola soft checks Terrakion provides key Wish Support to add more longevity to the core.

+

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

A very fun, underrated, offensive core. Nihilego sets up Rocks and lures in steel types with Z Thunderbolt, as well as checking Fairy types for Latias. In return, Latias can muscle past Blissey due to CM+Psyshock, as well as capitalize on ground and physical fighting types that would take advantage of Nihilego's poor physical bulk. Latias especially appreciates Nihilego being able to lure and KO Scizor.

+
+

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Moonblast

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Defog

A more interesting approach to Dragon-Fairy-Steel cores. Diancie checks Latias, Hydreigon, Moltres, sets rocks, and provides Heal Bell support. Doublade checks Latias, Scizor, Cobalion and Terrakion, as well as gives the core an offensive presence, as well as priority to pick off things weakened by Diancie or Hydreigon. Finally, Hydreigon checks Crawdaunt and Ground types (Bar Mamoswine), as well as Defogs and helps check Celebi alongside Doublade.

+

Tentacruel @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam

A very unexplored core imo. Celebi can use Ground, Psychic, and Electric types aimed at Tentacruel as fodder to use Nasty Plot. Celebi also lures in Hydreigon w/ Colbur and decimates it with Dazzling Gleam. Tentacruel benefits Celebi by removing hazards via Rapid Spin, checking Togekiss w/ Sludge Bomb, as well as checking Scizor for Celebi.

+

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze

This core is a little bit older, but I still think it's effective. Mantine+Staka functions as a Stall/Semistall hazards core, which is also annoying to most wallbreakers in the tier, barring Terrakion. Stakataka sets rocks as well as checks things like Latias and switches into Rock type attacks aimed at Mantine, whereas Mantine checks Grounds and Fighting types, as well as Defogs and checks Scizor and Co.

+

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

Last core of this post, I promise. Moltres appreciates Krookidile checking rock types, such as Nihilego and Mega Aerodactyl, as well as Pursuit trapping Latias. Krookidile appreciates Moltres checking Fighting types and Scizor, as well as Grass types. Quite a simple core, but very scary to fight vs.

NOW, That's all for this post. May even triple post if I feel up to it. Before I go, however, I'd like to give a Shoutout to Stoward for being really productive with this project even after taking it over a few weeks ago, so good job w/ that! Thanks to all for reading this massive post. Toodles!

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Double post but back with some more cores after goofing off in the teambuilder. Also threw in a couple cores that weren't there for some reason, but are very common and effective cores. And one of these cores belongs to Amane Misa, so hats off to them for being innovative. Big ole update: added 8 more cores for you all to enjoy.

+

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect / Knock Off / Roar

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn / Toxic / Knock Off

This core is basically Hippo+Emp but better. It's been more popular and generally more consistent due to Gligar's Toxic and Ground immunity making the backbone harder to break. Still same simple workings of the Hippo-Emp core.

+

Scizor @ Choice Band / Leftovers / Bugium Z / Fightinium Z / Life Orb
EVs:
- Bullet Punch
- filler
- filler
- anything but defog

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Defog / Pain Split
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

Another core I was surprised to not see in the list. Scizor+Heatom is a well known core among many players. Workings of a simple VoltTurn core, but its more than that. Scizor appreciates Rotom handling Moltres, one of Scizor's biggest answers, and Scizor checks Rock types like MAero and Terrakion, as well as Mega Altaria and Latias. Scizor also enjoys hazards being removed. Also Heatom works with basically any Scizor set, except Defog Scizor on stall because Heatom isnt a good mon on stall.

+

Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

This is Amane Misa's core of Xatu+Feraligatr. Xatu itself is unranked at the moment, but the general idea is that it sets screens for Feraligatr, who has been picking up steam as of the recent Scizor suspect test. Gatr is a nasty mon, even at +1/+1 due to Life Orb boosted Sheer Force attacks, which hit a good majority of the meta for good damage. Xatu / any other screen setter sets screens for Gatr to have a much easier time setting up and sweeping.

+

Infernape @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Pursuit

Similar to Lucario+Aero, but Infernape acts more as a condition then a wall-breaker in this case. Aero traps psychics with Pursuit as well as checking Moltres, and Infernape abuses fat steels and grounds that wall Aerodactyl. Simple core, but Infernape seems to be slightly more favorable then Lucario these days, so I decided to drop the core here.

+

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Fighting mon+Pursuit is pretty common and I think this is a good example of it. Krookidile checks fast psychic types such as Latias, Celebi, and Starmie that Heracross can't outspeed and KO. Heracross can come in on Grass, Bug, and Fighting moves aimed at Krookidile and also appreciates Krookidile checking Mega Aerodactyl.

+
+

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

A pretty standard defensive core, yet quite effective. Alomomola and Aggron take on Latias, Fire and Flying types (respectively), as well as Aggron setting rocks. Amoongus checks Primarina as well as helping Aggron check Scizor and Mega Altaria. Finally, Alomomola soft checks Terrakion provides key Wish Support to add more longevity to the core.

+

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

A very fun, underrated, offensive core. Nihilego sets up Rocks and lures in steel types with Z Thunderbolt, as well as checking Fairy types for Latias. In return, Latias can muscle past Blissey due to CM+Psyshock, as well as capitalize on ground and physical fighting types that would take advantage of Nihilego's poor physical bulk. Latias especially appreciates Nihilego being able to lure and KO Scizor.

+
+

Diancie @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Moonblast

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Defog

A more interesting approach to Dragon-Fairy-Steel cores. Diancie checks Latias, Hydreigon, Moltres, sets rocks, and provides Heal Bell support. Doublade checks Latias, Scizor, Cobalion and Terrakion, as well as gives the core an offensive presence, as well as priority to pick off things weakened by Diancie or Hydreigon. Finally, Hydreigon checks Crawdaunt and Ground types (Bar Mamoswine), as well as Defogs and helps check Celebi alongside Doublade.

+

Tentacruel @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam

A very unexplored core imo. Celebi can use Ground, Psychic, and Electric types aimed at Tentacruel as fodder to use Nasty Plot. Celebi also lures in Hydreigon w/ Colbur and decimates it with Dazzling Gleam. Tentacruel benefits Celebi by removing hazards via Rapid Spin, checking Togekiss w/ Sludge Bomb, as well as checking Scizor for Celebi.

+

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Mantine @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze

This core is a little bit older, but I still think it's effective. Mantine+Staka functions as a Stall/Semistall hazards core, which is also annoying to most wallbreakers in the tier, barring Terrakion. Stakataka sets rocks as well as checks things like Latias and switches into Rock type attacks aimed at Mantine, whereas Mantine checks Grounds and Fighting types, as well as Defogs and checks Scizor and Co.

+

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

Last core of this post, I promise. Moltres appreciates Krookidile checking rock types, such as Nihilego and Mega Aerodactyl, as well as Pursuit trapping Latias. Krookidile appreciates Moltres checking Fighting types and Scizor, as well as Grass types. Quite a simple core, but very scarf to fight vs.

NOW, That's all for this post. May even triple post if I feel up to it. Before I go, however, I'd like to give a Shoutout to Stoward for being really productive with this project even after taking it over a few weeks ago, so good job w/ that! Thanks to all for reading this massive post. Toodles!
Imo Gligar is a bit worse than Hippo as a ground due to that oofing quad weakness to HP ice, pretty much 2hKOing it., while hippo has less than a 50% chance to be 3HKO'd.

Also, you said scarf instead of scary in your last core. Just pointing that out.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Imo Gligar is a bit worse than Hippo as a ground due to that oofing quad weakness to HP ice, pretty much 2hKOing it., while hippo has less than a 50% chance to be 3HKO'd.

Also, you said scarf instead of scary in your last core. Just pointing that out.
hippo cant check terrakion and its not immune to toxic, theres benefits to them both but gligar is more splashable right now w uturn, knock, and fog utility allowing u to put rocks on empoleon which is really nice since it has a good matchup vs most removers

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Right update time: Literally all the submissions are from Sickist who submitted 14 cores. What a madlad. As always though, I appreciate the submissions. Keep it up!

1. Flame Orb Latias + Scarf or Specs Magneton. - Reject. Sorry, it was fire when Bro Kappa used it, but I'm not about to recommend new builders to use it. Maybe could submit it in Creative and Underrated Sets but can't approve that one here, sorry.

2. Colbur Reuniclus + Alolan-Muk. - Reject. On paper it seems alright, but I feel like it needs a 3rd mon to not be irritated by other dark types /pursuit mons. Probably something like Coba?

3. Mega Altaria + Bronzong - Accept. I feel like Dragon Dance Malt would be better here and I was almost tempted to reject purely because of that reason, but I'm sure Defensive would be okay.

4. CM Mega Bro + Coballion - Reject. You kinda said it yourself. This one's weird and hard to pull off.

5. Empoleon + Gligar - Reject. Nice Balance core. This core is annoying af. Both of these mons never die.
EDIT: Eyan submitted Empoleon + Gligar + Chesnaught earlier so gonna have to reject, sorry :(

6. Xatu + Gatr - Reject. Who? + Who? Never seen this core before. Who's Amane Misa and what's a pokeaim? If I see this team on the ladder again imma flip shit.

7. Infernape + Aerodactyl - Reject. Similar to Maero + Lucario but Infernape is a more viable pick I guess. Personally hate facing both of these if I'm using stall though.
EDIT: Twilight already submitted this, so unfortunately this has to be rejected now.

8. Guts Heracross + Scarf Krook - Reject. I love Heracross but I feel like there are better examples on here of Fight + Pursuit. I like the core but it's not quite resource standard.

9. Amoonguss + Alomomomomola + Maggron - Reject. I mean Regen is nice. Maggron + Wish Support is nice, and I did lose to this team twice because his stall had a regen core and mine didn't. But at the same time, that team is kinda whack with a lot of techs that I don't really recommend newer builders use. I feel like with just a regen core such as amoonguss + bro or a core with just Maggron + Wish?

10. Electrium-Z Nihilego + Calm Mind Latias - Reject. I feel like this core would be a pain to build with. Electrium-Z Nihilego kinda lures steels for Lati and the Ground immunity is nice for Nihilego, so I can see why it's nice on paper, but there are better steel-type lures out there for Lati and better Ground immunities for Nihilego.

11. Diancie + Doublade + Hydreigon - Accept. Doublade is pretty nice and having Doublade as a steel means that you're bothered by lati, so Diancie is pretty nice for that.

12. Mantine + Stakataka - Reject. I can't really imagine these together on a team ever. Sorry.

13. Scarf Krook + Moltres - Accept. Pressures everything that Moltres dislikes other than like heattom. I guess the ground immunity is nice for that too, cos it can't volt for free.

On another note. I'd love to see some more stall cores on here, cos I feel like the ones we've got could be a lot better. Looking at you pokeisfun.

Last edited:
I'll come in with a few more cores I like and I think are very easy to build around, gotta keep those newer players in mind.

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z/Shuca Berry/Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock/Rock Polish

Hydreigon @ Life Orb/Dread Plate/Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Very strong offensive core with a few variations that can be easy to build around, Taunt Hydregion does well against most common Cobalion answers like Palossand, Doublade, Gligar, Both Slowbros, Jellicent, Tentacruel, and many answers in that vein. It also provides it a decent switch for obvious fire moves, ground moves, and scalds. Cobalion on the flip side can threaten many fairies that bring Hydreigon turmoil like Florges, Sylveon, Some Mega Altaria, and so on. It also provides a switch-in for enemy Hydra's Draco Meteors and can soak up U-turns that Hydra despises. It can also act as an offensive answer to various steels that can bother Hydra, as well as all around special walls like Blissey and Umbreon that can prove decent nuisances to Hydra. As a last little footnote, You can also use Swords Dance Terrakion for a more brutal, double-breaker approach to this core, but I find the Cobalion version of this core easier to build around and carries more overall synergy.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

Really oldschool fat core that can still hold up. Can be used by itself on a passive balance or a semi-stall. It can also be used as one part of a dedicated full stall. Registeel acts as an immovable special wall that can deal with many grasses, dragons, and general special attackers that Alomomola doesn't like to take on, while Alomomola acts as it's physical wall counterpart that can deal with various grounds, fires, and weaker fightings. Alomomola also provides wish-passing to keep Registeel up throughout a game beyond it's Leftovers recovery.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Scizor @ Buginium Z/Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Super nice bread and butter balance core that's obscenely easy to build around. There's little to say here, both can swap in on moves of the other's sole quad weakness (Seismitoad on fire and Scizor on Grass) and they can handle the other's checks well. Seismitoad notably can handle some super common Scizor measures like Rotom-H, Manectric, Tentacruel, and Volcanion. Bulky Scizor on the other hand can perform well against some mons that take advantage of Seismitoad like Celebi, Altaria-Mega, Non-HP fire Rotom-Mow, and Latias. It also can't be understated that Seismitoad is vital against the fires, not just for it's resistance, but for the fact it can keep rocks up. This is especially important against Scizor checks like Rotom-H, Moltres, and Volcanion that can struggle to last as long as the Scizor they're checking with all the stealth rock chip. Scizor can use Buginium Z to give it a more offensive edge against Amoonguss that can be a nuisance to Seismitoad, as well as absorb knock off so that Seismitoad can hold on to it's Leftovers, but its not mandatory and the core still works with leftovers Scizor if you need the Z-move on something else. This core also works with something like Swampert or Gastrodon just as easy, but Seismitoad probably covers the most ground in regard to Scizor's checks with both the scald immunity and stealth rock while Gastrodon and Swampert only have one of these traits respectively.

I hope you like the cores and that at least a couple of them are accepted! I tried to cover all grounds here, doing one offensive core, one defensive core, and one balanced core.

Last edited:
Back with another 10 core dump. Here we go:

+

Roserade @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Pursuit

A fun offensive core featuring Roserade and Mega Aero. The premise of this core is that Roserade breaks fat grasses and waters as well as sniping Scizor w/ Hidden Power Fire, as well as put Gligar to sleep and wear it down with repeated attacks. Meanwhile, Mega Aero pursuit traps/deals with most of the tier's fire types, as well as being able to trap Latias and Celebi, which Roserade cannot outspeed.

+
+

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Block
- Spite
- Toxic
- Recover

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Counter
- Earthquake
- Recover

Impish Nature
- Defog
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Heal Bell

This isn't my core, this is pokeisfun's. Anyways, spdef pyuku takes on stallbreakers like nasty plot infernape, nasty plot lucario, chandy, etc. while quag takes on stuff like SD rak (somewhat), SD coba, so on and so fourth. Altaria handles electric/grass types and provides Heal Bell support, as well as defog support so hazards don't wear pyuk+quag down. Altaria can also help the Haxorus matchup as well. Interesting stall core, and once again s/o to pokeisfun for the core, as it is his.

+
+

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
EVs: 20 Def / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Defog

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Haze
- Recover

Here's a stall core that I actually somewhat came up with. pokeisfun's Nihilego stall gave me some inspiration and I threw this together. Basically Nihilego takes on Moltres/Togekiss/Np Ape as well as Articuno and can revenge stuff like NP celebi for the team, as well as setting tspikes. Moltres handles most Ground types, as well as steel types such as Scizor, Lucario, and Cobalion for Nihilego, and provides defog. Finally, Quagsire provides more anti-stallbreaker to the core, as well as checking ground types with rock coverage for Moltres, which in return checks grasses for Quagsire.

+

Celebi @ Groundium Z
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

A nasty psyspam core that is bound to annoy the living daylights out of 1 steel teams. Groundium Celebi lures steels, as well as Muk, for Latias, letting it CM up more efficiently and win. Both of them can relentlessly pound any variant of Scizor, forcing it out or forcing roost variants to roost, or just outright overwhelming it. Overall, its a very fun core that shouldn't be underestimated.

+

EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Arguably the most busted core to grace the current meta. Mega Altaria has the tools, in this case Fire Blast, to eventually worm it's way through the majority of it's steel type answers. However, one thing it fails to break the majority of the time is Amoongus, which is where Scizor comes in. SD Buginium Scizor can muscle through Amoongus, as well as check Fairies that would want to moonblast Altaria to death. This core is mega effective, and I can actually provide a tour scene example of this core in action. It's my UU open game, the only game I'll ever brag about because I'm bad. The game showcases this core in action against Moltres+Tentacruel+Steelix, and just how stupid effective and almost broken the pair is together.

UU open round 1 game 1: Sickist vs Serene Grace - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-929601776

+

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Air Slash

A fun offensive core featuring what I think to be Togekiss' best set, offensive nasty plot. Terrakion can break rock and other steel types with Fighting STAB as well as pummel Moltres and Rotom Heat for Togekiss. Meanwhile, Togekiss can lure Scizor and Doublade with babiri+Flamethrower, as well as punish most of Terrakion's traditional answers, such as Gligar and Slowbro, with a boosted Air Slash hitting their poorer special defense stat.

+

Chandelure @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Tsareena @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Fun offensive core featuring a mon that's gotten more light shown it's way recently, being Chandy. Calm mind Chandy is a nice stallbreaker that really only fears hazards, Water, Rock, and Dark types. Tsareena provides spin, and powerful CB boosted attacks to neuter these threats to Chandelure. Tsareena can also majorly chip Muk with a CB High Jump Kick for a good 72%-85% of it's health.

+
+

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Pursuit

Not quite sure what to call this? A balance core? I'm personally not too sure, lol. Anyways, Cobalion takes on SD Bugium, Knock off variants of Scizor, Banded except for Superpower, while Tentacruel can Superpower Banded, handle offensive SD variants of Scizor. Tenta also handles Primarina/Ape/Lucario somewhat for Cobalion, while Cobalion can check steel types that render Tentacruel useless. Finally, Mega Aero appreciates the 2 checking Scizor, and can trap lati and check Moltres in return.

+

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Crawdaunt @ Waterium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

A core you really don't want to be seeing at team preview. Crawdaunt is a fearsome breaker on it's own, but fails to break things like Altaria on stall. CB Scizor can provide Bullet Punch to remove Altaria, as well as U-turn support to get Crawdaunt in vs the likes of Moltres, Rotom Heat, Doublade, etc. Meanwhile, Crawdaunt can threaten basically every Scizor answer with either Aqua Jet, the hammer, or Knock Off.

+

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Scizor @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 48 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Roost / Knock Off

We all know the majority of the best Latias answers are Steel types. That or things like Diancie or Muk. Well SD Scizor just happens to threaten every one of them with this set, being able to pummel them (literally) with a Boosted Superpower/ Z move. Latias in return checks Moltres, Rotom Heat, can use Coba as fodder, as well as beat Amoonguss for Scizor. Choice between Knock Off and Roost is a matter of team composition, so choose according to what your team benefits from the most.

Alright, that should be all I have for this post, hope you all enjoy the cores :] Also Stoward you're welcome for finally adding Stall cores ;]

Last edited:

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Looks like it's update time again. Thanks Smallsmallrose and Sickist for the submissions. Regardless of whether I accept them or not, I really enjoy reading them and appreciate all the work that people go to when submitting these cores.

1. SD Cobalion + Taunt Hydreigon - Accept. Honestly I would've accepted choice Scarf Hydreigon here or just about any viable combination of Cobalion + Hydreigon as the two have great synergy together and I find both of these mons ridiculously easy to slap onto teams together

2. Registeel + Alomomola - Reject. Appreciate the submission, especially since I asked for stall cores, however I don't think I've seen Regimola in SM UU as Registeel is outclassed by so many steel-types. The superior version of this is definitely something like Alomomola + Mega Aggron, which I would've accepted, but Regimola can stay in ORAS RU

3. Bulky Seismitoad + Bulky SD Scizor - Accept. I've honestly never used Seismitoad, but vivalospride seemed okay with it so it's made it on the list.

4. Roserade + Pursuit Mega Aerodactyl - Accept. I haven't used Roserade too much, but it's something that I've always had fun with and I hope to see it get some use in UU open. I think the actual post itself does a reasonable enough job of explaining why I should accept it.

5. SpD Pyukumuku + Quagsire + Mega Altaria - Accept. I'll be honest, I was a little pessimistic about this one. I personally would find it annoying to build a stall with a Double Unaware core as I'd struggle to find the other 3 mons that would have answers to the entire tier. While Mega Altaria provides nice role compression for this team with defog + heal bell etc, I feel like it's not really a glue mon for this core and could be done with another cleric and using Aggron>Scizor and then using something like Florges or Sylveon as you're then able to keep your cleric and have Wish Support. Pif has a sample with it though so it made me more inclined to accept it

6. Nihilego + Moltres + Quagsire - Accept. Honestly you could've just submitted Nihilego + Moltres and then depending on whether you submitted a third mon or not, it could've gone to Offense or Balance, but adding Quag to it definitely works and you can't have Quag anywhere but in stall.

7. Groundium Z Celebi + CM Latias - Reject. I can't say I've seen psyspam in UU, I feel like it's been an eternity since I've seen Groundium-Z Celebi. I don't think Alolan-Muk is in a brilliant place right now, I guess that lure is better for Bisharp now. But Hydreigon, Mega Aerodactyl, Krookodile and Bisharp are in a great place right now, Hydreigon and Krookodile often run a Choice Scarf and Mega Aerodactyl outspeeds Latias naturally. I can't see this core putting in work.

8. Facade + Fire Blast Mega Altaria + Swords Dance Buginium Z Scizor - Accept. Honestly you could've submitted Dragon Dance Mega Altaria with just about any Scizor set and I would've accepted it. Both of these mons are ridiculously splashable and have great synergy, it's no surprise that two S rank mons would pair well together. That said, I've hyped replays since I've taken over this thread and I really appreciate the fact that you shared one for this core. Thanks for that :)

9. Swords Dance Terrakion + Flamethrower Babiri Berry Togekiss - Accept. This core seems like a lure and a half with Babiri Berry flamethrower Togekiss. Seems super cool though.

10. Calm Mind Chandelure + Choice Band Tsareena - Reject. I honestly don't feel like I see Chandelure get much love. I don't think it has a good place in the meta right now for similar reasons to the psyspam core. I'm also not that high on Tsareena. Despite its place in the meta right now. I don't think I've seen Chandelure and Tsareena on the same team ever.

11. Cobalion + Tentacruel + Mega Aerodactyl - Accept. I find myself pairing Mega Aerodactyl and Cobalion together on my teams regardless of whether I intended to build around them or not and I most likely would've accepted this core without Tentacruel. Tentacruel does however do a nice job of dealing with threats to this core such as Scizor and being able to switch into some fighting type moves. The fact that it can provide teams with hazard removal is also very nice.

12. Banded Scizor + SD Crawdaunt - Accept. Viv and I would personally rather use Choice Band Crawdaunt + Swords Dance Scizor and I was going to reject this and make you change it to that, but there's nothing wrong with Choice Band Scizor + Swords Dance Crawdaunt so I'll accept it.

13. CM Latias + SD Fightinium-Z Scizor - Accept. Like the Scizor + Mega Altaria core. If you slap two S Rank mons, it's most likely going to work. I've removed the CM + SD part to the core as I don't think this is a necessity to make the core function.

I've moved SD Bewear + Special Mega Altaria and Ghostium Z Raikou + Life Orb Nihilego + Dread Plate Hydreigon to outdated cores. I'm not that high on Special Mega Altaria and not really a fan of pairing it with Bewear and if I was running the thread at the time, I would've rejected it. Raikou has fallen to an unranked state on the Viability ranks and the mon isn't even UU in usage so safe to say this core is outdated.

On a couple of side notes. I thought I'd make it public that a little challenge I've set myself is to build a team around every core submitted. So regardless of whether I accept your core or not, I will build a team around the core you submit. I may dump them in another thread after UU Open (Or at least after I either drop out or get eliminated because scheduling when you work full time and live in Australia is the worst) if people want.

Also if people are running out of ideas for cores to submit. The following mons, despite being B+ - B in the Viability ranks have had no cores submitted for them, so if you're feeling creative. I'd recommend trying to find cores to build around these:
- Mega Houndoom
- Florges
- Volcanion

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
RoAPL Champion
212.png

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Scizor beats Mega Altaria, Nihilego, Mega Aerodactyl, etc. and can U-turn Houndoom into bulky Steel-types, Amoonguss, and other fat threats Scizor can't beat.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Curse

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
Pretty much the same thing as Aggron + Sylveon, but Florges's Special Defense allows to be more reliable wish support for Steelix in particular. These two cover the metagame defensively well. Steelix's Ground typing lets the core play mind gamers against Volt Switch users too.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Rotom-Mow @ Iapapa Berry
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog / Thunder Wave
Volcanion clicks buttons while Rotom-Mow gets it in through volt switch support. Rotom Mow also can provide hazard removal or Twave support, which is especially helpful against the dragon-types that can stop the core. And of course Rotom-Mow is great for stopping the bulky water types that get in Volcanion's way.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain/Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Foul Play
- Sludge Bomb/Clear Smog

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect/Swords Dance/Megahorn/Toxic
Amoonguss and Rhyperior cover each other pretty well defensively, only mainly dropping to Infernape and certain Scizor variants. Amoonguss messes with most Water-types, all the Fairy-types, and it generally a fat mon. Rhyperior covers Fire-types and Flying-types in return. With Protect it can scout against pokemon like Primarina and prevent Amoonguss from taking a strong Psychic.

Last edited:

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam

M-Houndoom beats annoying steels for celebi like scizor,doublade,etc.
Celebi pressure and switch on the bulky water and ground types for Houndoom.
Celebi can also lure scarf hydreigon with dazzing gleam for the dog.

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt/Sludge bomb

Latias @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Same idea than the first core, Houndoom pair well with psychic types.
Latias can switch on priorities who trouble Houndoom like infernape’s vacuum wave or crawdaunt’s aqua jet.
Houndoom cover latias’s weaknesses to ice and ghost when Latias can cover the water,ground and fighting weaknesses of Houndoom.
Electrium z Latias breaks the annoying fat waters for the dog like empoleon and primarina.
It can allow for Houndoom to play taunt instead of sludge bomb thanks to latias luring in primarina to improve the blissey match up.

EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Refresh/Earthquake
- Roost

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire blast
- Earth power/Hp electric
- Sludge Bomb
A fire mon is always good with malt like the well known cores : malt + moltres or even malt + rotom h.
Volcanion breaks steels for malt and it’s the best scizor revenge killer.
Dragons like Hydreigon and Latias are commons switch in, so Malt can take advantage of them.
Malt is also able to remove sr if u play defog.

I hope u enjoys the cores, i will post others later and sorry for my english.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Right, just finished my Mega Altaria reqs, while I don't believe it's going to be banned, just in case all the people who are posting in the NP thread change their mind, I thought I should get this thread updated just in case it gets banned - also before Mimikyu gets tested/released. Really cool to see submissions based off the mons I suggested.

1. Mega Houndoom + Scizor by Scizorphobic - Accept. Nice type synergy
2. Mega Steelix + Florges by Scizorphobic - Accept. Nice variant of Wish + Fat steel. Steels + Fairies always tend to pair nicely together too
3. Volcanion + Rotom-C by Scizorphobic - Accept. Also worth noting for Rotom-C provides the team with a ground immunity and an electric resist. Basically these two just have brilliant type synergy
4. Amoonguss + Rhyperior by Scizorphobic - Accept. The post explains why this is good enough by itself.
5. Mega Houndoom + Celebi by DonSavlatore - Accept.
6. Mega Houndoom + Electrium-Z Latias - Reject. Electrium-Z Latias is primarily for dealing with Steel-types. Mega Houndoom doesn't need to worry about that
7. Volcanion + Mega Altaria - Accept. Post explains it well enough.

We back with more cores, I'm gonna go with my usual format of trying to post at least one core of each kind (Defensive, Offensive, and Balanced)

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell/Stealth Rock

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

This honestly works with most Blissey and Mega Slowbro sets. Unopposed special wall meets unopposed physical wall is a recipe you can rarely go bad with, especially when the physical wall resists the special wall's sole weakness. Works on stalls as well as the rare Blissey Balances. You can vary up the core as you wish too since it works just that well at face value, for example using a wish bliss, and/or a Blockbro, maybe CM Bro plus a Stealth Rock Blissey, etc. The synergy will always remain. Blissey beats the various special attackers of the tier that can punch holes in Bro, while Bro returns the favor by taking on various fightings and harsh physical attackers that can put the pain on Blissey.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Pursuit/Toxic Spikes/Knock Off

Crawdaunt @ Waterium Z/Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

The only thing that surprises me more than the fact this particular core hasn't been posted yet is how few Crawdaunt cores we have in general. This extremely synergistic offensive core speaks for itself. Beedrill-Mega messes with pretty much all of Crawdaunt's best checks (Non-Scarf Hydra, Altaria-Mega, Primarina, and Chesnaught) by threatening them with it's STABs and allows Crawdaunt to come in far easier with it's U-turns, it also goes a long way by luring in various ground pokemon like Palossand and Gligar that hard wall it but are extremely threatened by Crawdaunt if it comes in from Bee U-turning against them. Pursuit can be nice for picking off Latias and Celebi (Two mons that can revenge Crawdaunt with their aqua jet resistance) but the other moveslots can be used as well. Crawdaunt, as briefly nodded to before, is extremely threatening to bulky grounds, a common enemy of Mega Bee. It's access to a strong priority water move in Aqua Jet lets it threaten pokemon like Aerodactyl Mega and Scarf Krook that can also bring Megabee heartache by outrunning it, threatening it, and having pursuit on top. Crawdaunt is also one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the tier, letting it break a number of pokemon that might just wall Megabee through immense physical defense. Meanwhile, Beedrill returns the compliment by adding a lightning fast cleaner for tormenting faster builds that might try to put offensive pressure on the slow Crawdaunt.

1562222511194.png

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Facade/Return
- Recycle
- Fire Punch/Earthquake

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return/Facade/Double-Edge
- Earthquake/Refresh/Fire Blast
- Roost

Some people used to tell me this core was borderline mandatory on any team wanting to work Snorlax. And its not hard to see why. Something that pops out immediately is Altaria-Mega's resistance to various fightings like Infernape and resilience to knock off, which is super threatening to any berry holding Snorlax. Facade or Refresh Altaria can even act as a status absorber for Lax if it itself doesn't want to run facade. It also provides an alternative wincon that can help break teams alongside Lax, wearing down their common walls like Mega Steels or providing an immediately threatening presence that can soften up the team for a lategame Lax, or Lax doing vice versa for a lategame Altaria. Lax also provides defensive utility to Altaria by being an immovable special wall, a trait particularly helpful against mons like Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Primarina, Gengar, Roserade, etc. that can threaten Alt in the early game. It also provides an early game Draco Meteor switch in, putting less pressure on Altaria to mega early in the game and letting it take it's time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)