USUM UU Viability Ranking Thread V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ranking Update
Thanks for all of this week's thought-provoking discussion! Lots of good, well backed up nominations being made lately. Mega Houndoom will for now be added to a 'New Pokemon' rank, so feel free to discuss where you think it should come in at! Buzzwole and Breloom still won't be ranked, as both are still in BL for the time being. Anyways, here's what changed:

Rises
B+ -> A-
B+ -> A-
B- -> B
B- -> B
UR -> C
UR -> C-
UR -> C-

Drops
S -> A+
S -> A+
A -> A-
B -> B-
B- -> C+
C+ -> C
C -> C-

C+ -> UR
C -> UR
C- -> UR
C- -> UR

Gengar's preliminary B+ ranking quickly proved to be selling it short, as its placement in A- is totally justified considering its insane versatility between multiple great sets. While nothing has necessarily changed for it since its introduction, the combined viability of Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Taunt, and its several other sets are simply too notable to keep it outside of the As.

Mega Pidgeot lost one of the main things holding it back in Rotom-W, which despite the still troubling Mega Manectric weakness, heavily improves its offense matchup. It’s also proving its worth as a stallbreaker thanks to the rise of stall and its strength against the play style with Work Up and Refresh. Overall a very solid pick that has responded well to recent trends.

I was honestly skeptical of putting this one through, though the increased usage of Mega Altaria on stall makes for a good reason to use Lucario over its main competition as a Nasty Plot user in Infernape. It still does face considerable competition, which is why rising further isn’t a likely possibility, though placement in B is fine for now due to its slightly stronger stall matchup than Infernape.

Salazzle has been picking up steam both in tournaments and on the ladder as a true anti-meta threat. It can find plentiful opportunities to set up Nasty Plot thanks to its good matchups against several large presences in the tier, while its Speed tier is also increasingly convenient. Overall a very real threat that is better represented up in B than with Pokemon like Florges and Snorlax.

With the addition of Strength Sap to its movepool Vileplume has been able to carve a very relevant niche for itself as a reliable check to multiple defining threats, some including Azumarill, Mega Altaria, and Mega Manectric. It’s still generally outdone by Amoonguss, but it now has a clear niche and definitely deserves placement in the rankings.

Cresselia is the best dedicated Trick Room setter available thanks to Lunar Dance and its bulk providing several setup opportunities. Due to the current popularity of Trick Room builds, this justifies a rank, though being pretty bad outside of this niche explains the low placement.

It supplies teams with a fantastic offensive check to Scizor in addition to providing Defog and Volt Switch support. The general usefulness of its typing and the good offensive presence it has with Firium Z allow the Heat to distinguish itself enough for at least a C- ranking.
Serperior may be among the tier’s most offensively threatening forces, though that doesn’t prevent it from not being as necessarily defining as what else is in S. Its lacking defensive utility and poor matchups against a lot of commonly used threats can make it awkward to comfortably fit onto a team, and neither of these fairly notable flaws really allow it to maintain the same influence as Gliscor or Scizor.

Latias is still one of the absolute best Pokemon in UU, though its influence simply isn’t up to snuff with that of Scizor’s or Gliscor’s. It’s certainly proven to be an adaptable Pokemon, though its utility sets suffer increased competition from Hydreigon since the release of Defog tutors, while overall it just doesn’t generally hold the meta together in the way that Gliscor and Scizor do.

Sharpedo can’t keep up with the metagame as well when Azumarill, Mega Manectric, Hydreigon, and Mega Altaria are all as dominant as they are. Its struggles against common Choice Scarfers like Infernape and Latias also cut into its viability, which overall makes it harder to work towards a late-game sweep than before.

Mega Absol is a bit of an underwhelming pick, especially considering its opportunity cost in comparison to the other Megas in B. While still very potent, it struggles to keep up with the increased usage of most Fairy-types, while also disliking the popularity of Choice Scarf users like Infernape and Hydreigon, which it really can’t combat outside of just switching out.

The nerfed utility of Sacred Fire fails to keep Entei very distinguishable when Infernape, Darmanitan, and Alolan Marowak all pose threats as Fire-type breakers with either better movepools, power, or overall utility. It’s just very underwhelming and could possibly drop further in the future.

Given that Drought is now banned, Ninetales and Venusaur are unable to carve niches for themselves that aren’t already possessed by better Pokemon of similar types. Venusaur may have potential as a moderately fast defensive Pokemon, though unless this is further explored going unranked is warranted.

Smeargle was the only one between these two to be brought up for a drop, but webs is a very hard playstyle to adequately use currently, largely due to Serperior’s presence and the current viability of TR and Aurora Veil. This makes both lowering in rank justifiable.

These Pokemon were both unranked due to their lack of valuable niches in the metagame. Aerodactyl struggles to maintain its niche as a suicide lead when Azelf, Kabutops, and even Lycanroc-Dusk generally outperform it for various reasons, while Slowking just can’t keep up with the constant metagame trends that go against it, which include Scizor’s continued dominance, the increased viability of Hydreigon, and the steady usage of Ghost-types like Alolan Marowak and Gengar.
Cobalion remains A
Despite my personal interest in seeing this change go through, Cobalion’s A ranking is currently rationalized through the popularity of Gliscor, which is a huge pain for it to deal with. While certainly one of the better Pokemon in its current subrank, it simply doesn’t maintain the same influence that Azumarill, Latias, and Mega Manectric do on account of its more apparent struggle to combat some other metagame trends as well.

Infernape remains A
It may be one of the better Pokemon in its current subrank, though its struggles in the metagame are apparent enough to warrant staying in said rank. It’s an amazing Scarfer, wallbreaker, and stallbreaker/sweeper, though all of its sets have increased competition recently (i.e. Lucario surging in usage as an NP user) and it generally just doesn’t warp the metagame around it in the way everything else in A+ does.

Crobat remains B+
Crobat’s vulnerability to Steels isn’t an insurmountable obstacle given its good synergy with several checks to them, like Infernape and Heracross. It’s also just a very valuable teambuilding tool, due to the increased usage of various Substitute users, which include Serperior, Suicune, and Kommo-O.

Jellicent remains B
Jellicent remains consistent as a defensive pivot due to the several switch-ins it can find, such as to Scizor, Cobalion, Infernape, and the increasingly viable Suicune. Taunt is an extremely valuable tool it has over its bulky Water-type competitors, and with the combination of Will-O-Wisp and Colbur Berry it often has ways around most of its paper offensive checks.

Kommo-O remains B-
Kommo-O has certainly emerged as a threat since the addition of some vital moves to its arsenal, and if running Bulletproof it can check Stakataka quite adequately. However, it struggles to choose an ability, doesn’t appreciate the increased use of Dragon-type Choice Scarf users, and struggles to keep up with the dominance of Mega Altaria. Its flaws utlimately rationalize staying in B-, despite arguably being one of the better Pokemon of its rank.

Mega Ampharos remains unranked
Despite its ability to strengthen Trick Room teams’ matchup against bulky Water-types, it also exacerbates the archetype’s already apparent weakness to defensive Grounds. Because of this, Mega Abomasnow is generally the better option as far as your Mega Evolution choice for Trick Room, which isn’t even a requirement.
Not every nomination that ultimately didn't go through was covered here, so feel free to PM me or post on my wall if you have questions about some other things that didn't end up happening. Anyways, it's time for our discussion slate, which is pretty huge this time, meaning we have plenty of things to talk about while we wait out this suspect test ;) Enjoy!

Current Discussion Slate

Azumarill A+ to S - It was initially dropped due to its lesser influence in comparison to the rest of S, though the community deserves to weigh in on the decision more than they did when it was initially made. Azumarill's versatility between three very viable sets could easily push it up to the highest ranking possible, though the metagame has clearly adapted to it in the forms of the increased usage of Amoonguss and fast Water resists, and threats like Latias more frequently running Thunderbolt. Whether or not this is enough to keep in A+ is worth talking about more in depth.

Starmie A- to B+ - although it is still an offensive menace, Starmie hasn't appreciated the increased usage and viability of Alolan Muk. Very dominant threats in Mega Manectric and Scarf Hydreigon also cut into its usability, which can be seen as grounds for a drop.

Moltres B+ to A- - While still not a wildly popular threat, Moltres continues to pull its weight in the metagame thanks to the strength of both its offensive and defensive sets. Beating the majority of Stealth Rock setters in addition to countering some really important presences may be enough for it to rise, though the Stealth Rock weakness and Mega Aerodactyl’s presence could definitely suggest otherwise.

Nihilego B+ to B - Gengar's reintroduction to the tier has hurt Nihilego in that it now has a lot more competition as a Poison-type special attacker. It has more of a limited niche now due to this, only really being able to pull off offensive Rocks/TSpikes sets without facing stiff competition. Regardless, the increased viability of Mega Pidgeot, which it can provide teams with a stellar check to, is something to consider in addition to the fact that it can also take on special attackers like Mega Sceptile and Mega Manectric fairly comfortably.

Celebi B to B- - Celebi rose on the basis of being generally better than what it was ranked with in B-. It also currently enjoys the recent surge in usage of Amoonguss, and has a few distinguishable niches over Serperior, such as its ability to take on the likes of Mega Altaria and with Groundium Z, Alolan Muk more reliably. Regardless, the competition it faces is still severe, especially considering how awkward it can be to fit on teams, which brings a drop into question.

Mega Abomasnow B- to B - It has a lot of worth on the tier's newly viable Trick Room teams as an outstanding offensive check to defensive Water- and Ground-types, which are known struggles of archetype staples like Alolan Marowak and Stakataka. It does struggle a lot due to its horrid defensive utility, however, which makes staying in B- plausible.

Lycanroc-Dusk C to C+ - while not a lot has changed for it since its introduction, Lycanroc-Dusk has proven to be more worth using than most players assumed. Swords Dance + Tough Claws Accelerock is an excellent niche that it has going for it, which despite its awful defensive utility, allows it to carve a niche quite comfortably, which could warrant a slight bump in viability.

Slowbro Unranked - it was once among the tier's most potent defensive Pokemon. However, it has continued to respond horribly to metagame trends for months, and can't keep up with a metagame full of Pokemon that heavily threaten it, including Hydreigon, Scizor, Serperior, and more. The main argument for staying ranked is its ability to check/counter Cobalion and Infernape, which is still an extremely valuable quality.

Aromatisse Ranked - Aromatisse is defensively eclipsed by Sylveon, though a ranking on the basis of its OTR set is definitely something worth discussing. Nasty Plot + Trick Room + Fairium Z is a fine niche Aromatisse can use to distinguish itself as an offensive setter for Trick Room teams, due to being surprisingly really hard to deal with once set up. It most certainly has a niche, which justifies discussion for a ranking.

Uxie Ranked - Uxie has a lot of use on Trick Room teams as a solid secondary dedicated setter. The main reason it was kept from a ranking this time was due to being generally worse at its role than Cresselia, which is something worth noting when Trick Room teams often don't require more than one dedicated setter (offensive setters aren't uncommon or unviable). However, it could still definitely be worth placement in the ranks due to its unique set of tools (which includes Memento, Stealth Rock, etc.), though this would also result in a Cresselia rise.

Mega Houndoom is also technically a discussion point due to currently being too new to rank somewhere, so by all means talk about that as well! With that, this update is concluded. Thanks for reading, and happy posting! :)
I can sort of undestand why so many people want Slowbro Unranked, but I have to strongly disagree with this discussion point. Losing Rotom-W helped a lot and is still a great check to many threats like Mega Aerodactyl, Infernape, Cobalion, Mamoswine and Terrakion. It also works pretty well on TR, getting calm minds up much easier and giving it a chance to sweep. Still a decent defensive mon and although the meta is very unkind to it, it certainly has it's merits. Keep it at C-.

Two mons I think that should rise to A- are Terrakion and Hippowdon. Terrakion is a lot more threatening lately with Flying types being everywhere, it often gets free setup as the flying types usually switch out fearing it's Stone edge, making it a lot scarier. Destroys almost anything in its path at +2 thanks to it's excellent offensive typing, and is a really strong threat right now. Hippowdon should rise imo because of its ability to check so many prevelant mons right now like Infernape, Cobalion, Mega Steelix, mega Aggron, Alolan Muk, Gengar, and more. A great 112 attack stat prevents it from being passive and steong ground stab lets it hit hard against what it needs to check. Excellent bulk and access to reliable recovery make Hippowdon a really solid defensive pokemon that people are usually arent prepared for.

Azumarill A+ -> S rank Agreed. It has quite a few viable sets that make huge splashes in this meta. Azumarill is a mon that always puts in work every game with it's banded set and it's belly drum set. Azumarill checks most threats in the S & A ranks with all 3 sets too. It's a huge threat to HO, Balance, & stall with all 3 sets as well; moreover the banded set. Azu is extremely versatile in this meta. Most teams run 2 checks for Azu due to it's versatility. Azu is definitely on Scizor's and Gliscor's level.

Mega Abomasnow B- -> B rank Agreed. Definitely a strong mon in the tier with a really great STAB priority. It mostly fits on trick room but, it's pretty strong on other teams like hazard stack offense/balance. It's slow speed tier is pretty annoying to deal with when using it (outside of trick room), especially with such a bad defensive typing. It's not a splashable mon but, it does put in a lot of work in the teams it does fit in.

Alolan Muk A -> A+ rank ? There has been a rise of special attackers that put a lot of work in this meta, and we've all seen A-muk slowly become centralizing in the meta. Now, I know it's hard to get the right EV spread on it sometimes, easy to get chipped on, and has a slight 4MSS in choosing shadow sneak or fire punch but, it does check so many threats in this meta and it doesn't give as many free turns as it used to before USUM. You have to be careful with how many special attackers you're putting on your team because of A-muk, some mons dropped in viability and usage because of A-muk, and A-muk is pretty splashable on a lot of teams. Not to mention, poison touch + whatever move you go for is annoying for most mons to deal with (gliscor says "yummy" but whatever). I can understand if this gets denied, though.

Azumarill A+ -> S Rank Disagree

Tentacruel cancels Azumarill's Belly Drum buff with Haze, fearing only Azumarill Knock Banded or getting caught up in the exchange with Azumarill Max Attack, Latias gets under pressure in Azumarill with the set of Electrium Z and does not take OHKO from Max Attack Aqua Jet, Amoonguss he fears almost nothing except +6 Knock Off, I admit that Azumarill is a very versatile man who enters well in most teams, however, I do not think he has the necessary qualities for Rank S due to his Tier Checks. Keep it at A+

Last edited:
How is being checked by Tentacruel and Latias a good reason to not rise? I'm not even saying I necessarily agree or disagree with the nomination but this doesn't make much sense because neither can switch in so you're literally sacking at least one Pokemon if it gets the setup. Also, the Electrium Z set is quite rare (Electrium Z only gets 2.363% of Latias sets according to this so basically you're saying less than 3% of Latias are able to beat Azumaril 1v1 after a sack), scarf is the most common set by far. Even if they did hard check Azumarill, that on its own isn't a good enough point to even mention because S rank Pokemon aren't supposed to be invincible and have zero checks, everything is obviously going to have its checks.
I agree with you and I admit that what I said about the checks does not make sense, I think the only thing I can say is that due to the threats on Tier as Serperior, Scizor practically prevents Azumarill from performing his function.

I agree with you and I admit that what I said about the checks does not make sense, I think the only thing I can say is that due to the threats on Tier as Serperior, Scizor practically prevents Azumarill from performing his function.
Choice Band Liquidation 2HKOs all Scizor variants, and Azumarill tanks Bullet Punches fairly well, it's really not near an Azumarill counter or much of a check either. The best checks to Azumarill would be things like Amoonguss and Empoleon, but Azumarill has ways around them too, with things like the trapper set or +6 Knock Off. Serperior also gets walled by the trapping set and can't switch into Play Rough. So these threats really can't safely fight Azumarill, as well as.....the rest of the tier, pretty much, which in very short words is why it should go up to S.

1517343474487.png

On another note, I think Mega Houndoom should go to B. Like Cake said it shreds fat teams in half once things like Quag are eliminated with NP/Taunt and even its checks to its stabs ain't safe like Prima/Mega Alt due to Sludge Bomb. the speed lets it outspeed things like serp, cobalion, and gengar at the same time which makes it great against offense as well, and also gives it some nice setup opportunities against these mons. what distinguishes it from the two other fire np sweepers, infernape and salazzle, is the ability to 1v1 threats like latias and gengar even unboosted and having the moveslot to run taunt to break fat teams even more. sorry if this was an echo of cake's words but put doom in b for now

A+ → S
I definitively agree with the rise of Azumarill. This Pokemon is basically perfect whatever it's doing. Choice Band hits super hard almost everything in Underused and Azumarill can even choose its check (Knock Off bother non Icium Z Tentacruel while Ice Punch almost OHKO Amoonguss.. I've seen people even run Facade and it's deadly tbh). On the other hand we have (Z-)Belly Drum which can act like a Late Game Sweeper or Mid-Game breaker. Last but not least, Azumarill can run its Sap Sipper Perish Trapper set which allows it to remove some Pokemon and that can help a lot its teammate while dealing with Pokemon like Serperior or Mega-Sceptile.

B+→ A-
I agree with this nomination too. Since the rise of Rotom-Wash in OU, people have some trouble to find some good Flying Resist and Pokemon like Moltres or Mega-Pidgeot have become much more threatening. Moltres has an incredible typage for UU. Its Fire STAB allows it to punish a lot of Flying Resist like Klefki, Aggron-Mega or Electric Type such as Mega-Manectric and Raikou. It need some support especially to deal with SR but otherwise, it's a real threat !

Ø → B
Mega-Houndoom is a cool Pokemon and I'm very glad that it's again playable. It has a really cool speed tier and hit pretty hard even without a Nasty Plot. It's typage in kinda good too and the Poison coverage is litterally amazing cuz' it allows Mega-Houndoom to hit super effectively Mega-Altaria, Azumarill or Primarina. Taunt is decent too and can be useful vs fat team. Tbh even its Bulk is good for a Sweeper and it can take some hit before dying :

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Houndoom-Mega: 174-206 (59.7 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Houndoom-Mega: 106-126 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Houndoom-Mega: 72-84 (24.7 - 28.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Houndoom-Mega: 88-104 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 34.7% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Houndoom-Mega: 160-189 (54.9 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even if it's weak to Stealth Rock and to faster threat like Mega-Aerodactyl and some Scarf users, it's a decent Pokemon !

Choice Band Liquidation 2HKOs all Scizor variants, and Azumarill tanks Bullet Punches fairly well, it's really not near an Azumarill counter or much of a check either. The best checks to Azumarill would be things like Amoonguss and Empoleon, but Azumarill has ways around them too, with things like the trapper set or +6 Knock Off. Serperior also gets walled by the trapping set and can't switch into Play Rough. So these threats really can't safely fight Azumarill, as well as.....the rest of the tier, pretty much, which in very short words is why it should go up to S.

View attachment 99864
On another note, I think Mega Houndoom should go to B. Like Cake said it shreds fat teams in half once things like Quag are eliminated with NP/Taunt and even its checks to its stabs ain't safe like Prima/Mega Alt due to Sludge Bomb. the speed lets it outspeed things like serp, cobalion, and gengar at the same time which makes it great against offense as well, and also gives it some nice setup opportunities against these mons. what distinguishes it from the two other fire np sweepers, infernape and salazzle, is the ability to 1v1 threats like latias and gengar even unboosted and having the moveslot to run taunt to break fat teams even more. sorry if this was an echo of cake's words but put doom in b for now
I feel based off your reasoning in your post. Mega Houndoom might fit better in B+ because it lacks a lot of negatives to it as it can threaten some of the top threats. It should start in B+ and it may rise in the future (if Rotom-Wash doesn't drop)

Regarding MDoom:
What.
I got "It's not as good as other megas" vibes out of that, which might be true. Except you're ignoring it's a special fire type with Nasty Plot and enough speed to hassle just about every balance staple, with the secondary dark typing letting it beat a few of the water-types that would like to wall it. Add in Sludge Wave, and MAlt isn't safe either. And you want to put it in C+?

Dude, if this thing is anywhere below B it's a crime.
I think B- is fine IMO. Using M-Doom requires you to give up on some really crucial Mega Pokemon that are really crucial to offense (Altaria, Aerodactyl, Manectric). It's only real niche is really as a Nasty Plot sweeper with little to no team utility. It's almost comparable to Mega-Absol in that aspect. Furthermore, it faces serious competition from Salazzle as a Fire-type balance breaker. Salazzle has a better speed tier, access to Z-crystals that makes it better at wallbreaking without sacrificing a mega slot, and a typing that isn't as easily revenge-killed by Priority (mostly Mach Punch). It should be noted that most that M-Alts are moving more toward the defensive build or the Specially Attacking build which, with proper scouting for EQ, means that Salazzle can set up on Mega-Altarias more easily.

At this moment, Salazzle is B, and I personally think that Mega Houndoom is worse than Salazzle in most cases. B- is fitting, but C+ is too much.

I think B- is fine IMO. Using M-Doom requires you to give up on some really crucial Mega Pokemon that are really crucial to offense (Altaria, Aerodactyl, Manectric). It's only real niche is really as a Nasty Plot sweeper with little to no team utility. It's almost comparable to Mega-Absol in that aspect. Furthermore, it faces serious competition from Salazzle as a Fire-type balance breaker. Salazzle has a better speed tier, access to Z-crystals that makes it better at wallbreaking without sacrificing a mega slot, and a typing that isn't as easily revenge-killed by Priority (mostly Mach Punch). It should be noted that most that M-Alts are moving more toward the defensive build or the Specially Attacking build which, with proper scouting for EQ, means that Salazzle can set up on Mega-Altarias more easily.

At this moment, Salazzle is B, and I personally think that Mega Houndoom is worse than Salazzle in most cases. B- is fitting, but C+ is too much.
Houndoom naturally hits harder than Salazzle as Salazzle usually runs Nasty Plot to break walls. And their Speed stats don't affect much in the end as they're both still outspeeding anything below them and there aren't any other UU Pokémon with a Speed stat between 115-117

Houndoom naturally hits harder than Salazzle as Salazzle usually runs Nasty Plot to break walls. And their Speed stats don't affect much in the end as they're both still outspeeding anything below them and there aren't any other UU Pokémon with a Speed stat between 115-117
So does Mega Houndoom. No one would really run 4-Attack Houndoom, if that's what you're implying. I think their Speed stat kind of matters, especially since outspeeding the 115 bracket is infinitely better than speed-tying the bracket (Starmie, Raikou, etc.). Besides, Salazzle has good utility moves like Encore to guarantee set-up opportunities (i.e. Encore a Altaria into Hyper Voice).

As you brought up, M-Houndoom is naturally stronger than Salazzle, but is that extra 30 Base Special Attack worth giving up a mega slot for? The cost outweighs the benefits, in my opinion.

So does Mega Houndoom. No one would really run 4-Attack Houndoom, if that's what you're implying. I think their Speed stat kind of matters, especially since outspeeding the 115 bracket is infinitely better than speed-tying the bracket (Starmie, Raikou, etc.). Besides, Salazzle has good utility moves like Encore to guarantee set-up opportunities (i.e. Encore a Altaria into Hyper Voice).

As you brought up, M-Houndoom is naturally stronger than Salazzle, but is that extra 30 Base Special Attack worth giving up a mega slot for? The cost outweighs the benefits, in my opinion.
Modest 140 Special Attack can change a battle compared to Modest 111 Special Attack

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Except you wouldn’t really run Modest on them, like ever? The points raised to how Salazzle competes with Mega Doom are absolutely correct, and should be factored into where it gets placed. Me personally I would probably use Salazzle over Doom and another mega most of the time but Doom definitely has individual characteristics that means there’s times when you’d use it, so B- seems fair. Although Encore or any other utility move Salazzle is not an argument lol, you can’t deviate from the standard Fire Poison HP Grass NP set as if you drop Grass Quagsire just gonna eat you and you lose all effectiveness vs full stall, hopefully it’s obvious why you wouldn’t drop any of the three other moves.

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd argue that M-Doom and Salazzle are on equal footing. Mega and Z-Move have basically equal opportunity cost for offense and Dark STAB + immediate power + Flame Charge + not caring about Pursuit are big enough of a niche imo to put them in the same rank. People are lauding Sludge Bomb for Doom but if you're running Doom > Salazzle I'd just run Fairy checks / lures and clean up with Flame Charge (my favorite Doom offense so far has Mix Nape, which is a fucking beast rn btw, for that reason) cause invalidating Scarfers late-game is awesome.

Last edited:
Yeah well I decided to hop into the Mdoom topic and actually search for whats that extra 3029 SPa doing with some calcs:
1st: Salazzle has poison STAB. Therefore Sludge bomb coverage might not be enough as we can see on some key matchups.
248 SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 248-294 (66.3 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 184-218 (49.1 - 58.2%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO
248 SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 266-314 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 200-236 (68.7 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
248 SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 336-396 (92.3 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 250-296 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
248 SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 218-260 (55.3 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
neither OHKO primarina.

2nd: Fire STAB for both, cool.
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 238-280 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
248 SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 202-238 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (enough)
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Celebi: 378-446 (110.8 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248 SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Celebi: 320-378 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
248 SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 116 SpD Gliscor: 177-208 (50.2 - 59%) -- 21.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 196 SpD Gliscor: 192-226 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 201-237 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
248 SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 169-201 (40.2 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mamoswine: 288-338 (79.7 - 93.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manectric-Mega: 228-268 (81.1 - 95.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

3rd: dark pulse hits what?
OHKOs: Gengar, Chandelure, A-wak.
2HKOs: Latias

4th: this one is fun
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Houndoom-Mega: 124-147 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
K so based on those calcs the extra SPa guarantees Celebi OHKO, improves the chance for a gliscor 2HKO, has a slight chance for a hippo 2hko, mamo and manectic-M OHKOs become possible after rocks (its a roll), while not being enough to remove the main fairies. Also its a Chandelure + Sharpedo (ROFL) offensive check.
Mega-doom has also access to sucker punch which is not running wild a lot but its a fair move.
115 speed bracket contains Starmie, Azelf, Raikou and doom itself. Starmie and Azelf are both weak to dark moves, while Raikou can only run aura sphere with a rash nature meaning it would be slower. Timid Raikou Tbolt is a 2hko so its a very specific 50/50 situation.

That said, I believe unless youre desperate for a flash fire/priority user or has a specific weakness to Chandelure, A-Wak and Mega-shark that can be solved offensively, the mega slot is not worthy to waste outside of drought, unless i see proof that manual sun is viable. Otherwise poison STAB is preferable since the higher damage on fire stab is not guaranteeing enough and justifiable KOs. And hp grass also nails some things making Salazzle perform overall better than Mega-doom.

Considering all the above I believe M-doom has its own niche, being indeed an interesting pokemon. However, due to the fact of wasting a mega slot, it is harder to fit on teams than a regular pokemon would be, and therefore B- is fair with respects to the pokemon it is. Tho C+ could become its place with no exaggerations once the VRs settle a bit more and Buzzwole is not running wild.

Hi. I'd like to make a small case for Galvantula to C-.

Recently, I've been messing with it, and it's actually kind of annoying. It doesn't have the best SpA or anything, but it does have a REALLY annoying coverage that lets it hit about 90% of the tier neutrally, and does batter a few of the Rocks/Hazard setters. Yeah, webs aren't really THAT good in the meta, but a setter that actually has offensive presence and can actually do something besides webs instead of being immediate dead weight against a majority of the teams out there feels like it warrants a C- ranking.

Nominating Zygarde-10% for C+, maybe C.

With stall becoming more common(and the Alolomola, Quagsire, Blissey core) and Mega Manectric rising in usage, Zygarde fails to find a high place where it truly shines. However, the whole reason Zygarde is ranked in the first place is because of its signature move: Thousand Arrows. However, band Zydog still struggles against the stall situation, and bulky offense:

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 40 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 204-241 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 444-523 (62.1 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 255-301 (83.6 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Hippowdon: 180-213 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

It can also struggle against faster mons who get a free switch from a slow pivot and can OHKO or threaten it, due to its mediocore 54/71/85 bulk. Honorable mentions to Mega Man, Flyinium Z Crobat, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Beedrill after chip damage:

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zygarde-10%: 226-266 (90.7 - 106.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Thus, making its situation against offense mixed as well.

Oh yeah. Dont use DD, please. VERY outclassed by basically every other Dragon-type DDer ever.

Tl;dr drop Zygarde-10% to C+ or C due to its frailty, meh coverage, and its difficulty to get in to attack without a pivot.

Btw, my first post here!

I will re nom Cloyster from c- to c/c+
Cloyster may be seemingly outclassed as a water type booster bc of bd azu but shell smash in combo with a white herb is way better than sacrificing half of ur hp to deal major damage.
Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Explosion
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
Cloyster also has a better chance of getting the oppurtunity to set up its smash. It can use passive mons such as hippo and even gliscor and also physical attackers due its great defense stat. Now for a wall of calcs.
0 Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 58-69 (24 - 28.6%) -- 98.1% chance to 4HKO
SD Facade Gliscor is pure setup bait for cloyster and is also a common set
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 97-115 (40.2 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
A choice-locked Scizor is also setup bait but Cloyster does fear only superpower
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 162-192 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Stakataka can also be setup on if tr isnt up
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 115-136 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
Choice Band Azu also can be setup bait
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 100-118 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Alolawak is also setup bait
Cloyster can also be used for role compression if u need it with rapid spin but that isnt a good idea. Cloyster also has many flaws such as the inability to tank special hits, Mega Manectric being the most common mega and always destroying cloyster as its setting up, among many other flaws that can be patched up with teammates such as AV Muk and Specs Hydreigon. Cloyster has many flaws that will prevent it from going higher.

I disagree with Cloyster rising.
I will re nom Cloyster from c- to c/c+
Cloyster may be seemingly outclassed as a water type booster bc of bd azu but shell smash in combo with a white herb is way better than sacrificing half of ur hp to deal major damage.
Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Explosion
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
Yeah, so first off Cloyster should never run White Herb, giving up Normalium Z is way too big cuz without ur basically setting up to sacrifice urself vs a bulky water like Alomomola or Suicune, which is dumb considering that Cloyster is supposed to lure them with Normalium Z. If ur not going to use Explosion Cloyster still shouldn't run White Herb as Life Orb does a lot more.
Cloyster also has a better chance of getting the oppurtunity to set up its smash. It can use passive mons such as hippo and even gliscor and also physical attackers due its great defense stat. Now for a wall of calcs.
Hippowdon basically phazes u cuz it'll probs expect u to set up lol. Gliscor is still commonly run as a toxic spreader, which heavily cripples Cloyster.
SD Facade Gliscor is pure setup bait for cloyster and is also a common set
SD Gliscor is not bad but it is not as common as u seem to think it is.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 97-115 (40.2 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
A choice-locked Scizor is also setup bait but Cloyster does fear only superpower
I wouldn't consider this set up bait because after rocks ur getting 2HKOd.
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 162-192 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Stakataka isnt attacking anything if TR isn't up. Besides, if Stakataka is on a TR team they'll most likely have Bewear, which means Cloyster basically gets KOd right after it's claimed a kill vs Stakataka, which is kind of questionable cuz.
252+ Atk Stakataka Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cloyster: 390-458 (161.8 - 190%) -- guaranteed OHKO
L.
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 100-118 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Alolawak is also setup bait
Basically same thing as Stakataka, if TR is up Bewear just prevents it from doing anything.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 115-136 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
Choice Band Azu also can be setup bait
Man, imagine rocks being up, switching in and getting 2HKOd by Knock Off... wait.

Cloyster can also be used for role compression if u need it with rapid spin but that isnt a good idea.
No, it can't be used for role compression with Rapid Spin because, as u said, it isnt a good idea as Starmie is a lot better in that regard.
Cloyster also has many flaws such as the inability to tank special hits, Mega Manectric being the most common mega and always destroying cloyster as its setting up, among many other flaws that can be patched up with teammates such as AV Muk and Specs Hydreigon. Cloyster has many flaws that will prevent it from going higher.
I agree, Cloyster has many flaws which prevent it from going any higher then C-. Also, Alolan Muk and Choice Specs Hydreigon really arent that good of teammates, Alolan Muk doesn't provide much for it at all, if anything. And Choice Specs Hydreigon is kinda meh rn.

Idk man, this just seems like a nom for the sake of nomming something, not because it should actually rise.

->C+
->B
->A-
->S
->B/B-
->C-
->C

B+ -> B Agree
Like Cake said, it's not unviable. The drop of Gengar gives it competition as a specs/scarf special poison type. Nidoking also gets the job done as a stealth rocks user. Nidoking also has much better coverage, allowing it to hit its checks (Gliscor, Scizor, etc). It could still see some usage as flying types such as Crobat and M-Pidgeot are starting to rise. Also being weak to common priority in the tier is not fun.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think Salazzle holds a slight edge over Mega Houndoom if only on the basis of opportunity cost and a slight offensive edge vs better defensive utility (which wasn’t great to begin with tbh) and a better variety of movesets. That being said, I don’t particularly care if doom was to be placed in the same rank or a subrank under as it’s relatively unexplored in this meta.

in hindsight idk what i was thinking regarding that nidoking nom i made haha, but ye nihilego definitely does not fit in b+ atm. edit: specs is still pretty fire tho

prima could probably drop to a-, it faces stiff competition with azumarill as a wallbreaker (yes it absolutely does) and imho cb azu breaks through stall better than prima does

gatr is borderline unviable because of azu, drop it to c- or ur idc

stak could drop to a- since players are generally more prepared for it now than when it dropped and i’ve seen less trick room lately but i’ve still lost my gliscor to it a couple of times so i’m still shook...

also stall is really good right now, something to consider w/ sunfish and blissey but i’ll wait a bit and see where the meta goes in a week or so

Last edited:
ambi is the devil itself

anyway, time to tackle some of the discussion slate while i'm here as well as some other noms. just my two cents

1517770607115.png
to S --> Agree

this thing is a complete monster. from trapping set to cb to bd this thing is so versatile that no team can ever properly prepare for it as there's always the fear that it can be the set that walls your supposed "azu check". trapper is a great team supporter that can easily deceive all of cb/bd's switchins like amoon or serp, and is just a really effective stop to an abundancy of defensive mons that helps sweepers and other mons alike. cb and bd both shatter offensive playstyles and severely dent teams for azu to break for itself or its teammates, and priority really helps with chipping or straight up killing a lot of good offensive mons. rise

1517770856546.png
to B+ --> Disagree

rapid spin alone gives starmie a huge boon in this meta, but with the offensive prowess it has its far and away the best one in the tier and a top hazard remover. its coverage is fantastic letting it hit mons hard in general with things like hydro and even its resists such as latias, prima, and more. being a great offensive check to mons such as infernape is a huge plus as well, and with analytic it hits really hard upon most of the things that can come in and with its offenses its not hard to force things out either. don't drop

1517771141423.png
to A- --> Agree

moltres is incredible, both offensively and defensively. offensively fire/flying coverage packs a real punch, especially aided by flynium z, killing common checks to fires and beating down teams in general for other members to clean. roost is a huge plus for an offensive pokemon like moltres, making it so it can actually sustain itself throughout the match and keep hitting hard (also makes it one of the best offensive scizor checks we have). defensively it can deal with a lot of problems for bulky teams like serp and even things like perish trap azu with roar, which is great for stall as they generally lack checks to these kinds of mons. rise

and a nom that i agree with but was never really addressed:

1517772107602.png
--> A+

alomuk is bar none the best special blanket mon we have in this tier. it counters or checks so many top threats and stops them from tearing teams apart like serp, latias, primarina, gengar, the list goes on. pursuit is incredible now, punishing many mons that alomuk can come in on safely and force out because they simply can't do much to it. having offensive capabilities is great for this mon too as it can actually hurt the things it comes in on with things like poison stab or knock. it also performs a lot of unique things you wouldn't expect it to do, such as being able to beat things like scizor 1v1 and its just a great blanket in general. rise?

this was probably way too long but thanks for reading and feel free to dispute!

Attachments

Hi. I'd like to make a small case for Galvantula to C-.

Recently, I've been messing with it, and it's actually kind of annoying. It doesn't have the best SpA or anything, but it does have a REALLY annoying coverage that lets it hit about 90% of the tier neutrally, and does batter a few of the Rocks/Hazard setters. Yeah, webs aren't really THAT good in the meta, but a setter that actually has offensive presence and can actually do something besides webs instead of being immediate dead weight against a majority of the teams out there feels like it warrants a C- ranking.
About this nom. There are only two webs users' on the tier right now: Araquanid (that is C rank) and Galvantula. Galvantula offers more to a team than the latter on the aspect that, with a decent coverage, it can beat every defogger on the tier, whilst Araquanid loses to stuff like Crobat with taunt. Not only that, but lo on galv is actually viable, working as a cleaner that outspeeds everything that doesn't have scarf/is immune to ground. Since it's a better webs user than araquanid, i don't see a reason to why it shouldn't be on C or C-.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)