UU Analyses Discussion Thread

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^ Okay, but let's write it up separately and add it later, since Zapdos has already gotten a GP check.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel it's worth noting on Empoleon just how bad of a move Hydro Pump is on the set. It does give it more room against Pokemon like Bronzong and Snorlax, but you can't ever rely on a 1 in 5 miss rate if your goal is to completely sweep a weakened team. It's too critical to hit reliably for Hydro Pump to work. Same as it was in OU last gen.

Also, Megahorn is really worth a slash on the Tank Rhyperior set over Dragon Tail.

Hey! I just wanted to ask if Heracross's SubSalac set from the ADV and DPP eras doesn't deserve more than an AC mention in the last set of the analysis. After all, with Moxie, it doens't have to worry about losing coverage on Flying-types to boost its Attack stat, and it functions very similarly to the Scarf set lategame – while not having to worry about Sableye once it's behind a Substitute. The ability to switch moves also makes it have an easier path to clean, since it doesn't have to worry so much about breaking through defensive cores. The Substitute also aids it against priority from Azumarill and Arcanine (it also protects it from Intimidate)

The set in question would be
Heracross @ Salac Berry
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Stone Edge
ability: Moxie
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

It can just be slashed with Leftovers with a mention of how it can perform, but I feel it warrants more than an AC mention...

What do you think?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Salac Berry definitely works on Heracross, thanks to its usable Speed and Moxie boost, but I think it's AC / OO material. Salac Berry is a viable alternative not only for Sub + 3 Atks, but Swords Dance, too.

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'll edit a heavier mention of Salac into its analysis when I get a chance (or if Pocket wants to do it, he's welcome to), because it does work.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been doing a ton of Porygon-Z calculations lately, and I've found an nitpick level inaccuracy in the analysis. According to the page, "Tri Attack hits harder with Adaptability [over Download]" on the Choice Specs analysis. However:
+1 Modest Specs Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs Resttalk Snorlax: 46%-54%
Adaptability Specs Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs Resttalk Snorlax: 41%-48%

Not a big deal, and Adaptability should still be the first ability, but I think Download deserves a little bigger mention as it does things like sure up the 2HKO on Snorlax and Umbreon, as well as getting a OHKO on Cofagrigus with Dark Pulse, opening up a 2HKO on Sp Def Rhyperior with Tri Attack and Spikes, a possible OHKO with Dark Pulse and SR on Slowking. I can do the editing if needed, as long as someone caches/approves it.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Mienshao is one of the best late game sweepers and revenge killers in the meta and used by good players a lot more than All Out Attacker (current first set). Should it be switched, or should we just leave it?

kokoloko

Yeah Scarf should probably be the first set.

I'm surprised more people aren't using SubPass cause that thing is like the best shit ever made but oh well.

I was just looking into Druddigon's UU analysis because I was amazed with the wallbreaking power of its CB set, and I found this in C&C:

Steel-types are good counters to Druddigon in general, but against the Choice Band set you definitely have to be wary of Earthquake. The Choice Band set can be predicted around though, as Outrage has the side effect of being locked into it and Earthquake can be sponged by a Levitating Pokemon.
I can't really remember when it was last updated, but Levitating Pokemon aren't really safe either. 252/252+ Bronzong is 2HKOed by Earthquake, and although others (except for Rotom-H) fare better, they shouldn't be switching into it expecting an Earthquake either way. Now if this was written before Mold Breaker came out, and then the sets were updated via SCMS with BW2, then it's ok, but that sentence is really misleading. It should be Flying-type Pokemon, and people need to be warned that CB Outrage hits them all really hard, so you need to predict carefully around it.

Also, I already said this to kokoloko but he's been busy so I can understand that this hasn't been corrected, but Slowbro only needs 12 SpA EVs to OHKO 252/0 Roserade after SR, so that could be changed in the analysis (I was the one to write it, but I based it off the previous one and didn't bother to do the calcs myself—sorry about that).
Code:
12 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 284-336 (87.65 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I brought this up in SCMS but I might as well post it here. This is in Mienshao's second set, and the issue is that some of the calculations are wrong regarding what Mienshao KOs. I think these forgot to factor in the all important Life Orb.

While Regenerator helps it stay alive for a very long time, Reckless does some cool things, such as pushing 0/0 Flygon from a 2HKO to an OHKO and 252/0 Swampert from a 3HKO to a 2HKO (both after Stealth Rock damage).
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs 0 HP/0 Def Flygon: 107.64% - 126.58% (Guaranteed OHKO)
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs 252 HP/0 Def Swampert: 72.77% - 85.64% (2 hits to KO)
Reckless and Stealth Rock: 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs 252 HP/0 Def Swampert: 87.13% - 102.48% (18.75% chance to OHKO)

What could Reckless do for Mienshao on the set then other than just boost Hi Jump Kick? Are there any notable OHKOs it gets only with Reckless? These were all the "such as"es...

kokoloko

the problem is that the pert calc is supposed to say 252/252+ and that the flygon calc is supposed to be for the scarf set (as in, no LO). i'll fix it.

I wanted to ask about Regirock's viability in this tier. I am not an experienced UU player, but I made a team to test Regirock there, and it went well. I use the exact same set I use with it in NU, the Tank set, but as I have a different SR supporter, I use Thunder Wave. Regirock gets a lot of KOs, thanks to its STAB Stone Edge, and it is a great answer to Snorlax (which can help Regirock heal because of Drain Punch). I don't know, I think it's quite viable, even though it is NU, what do you think?

On a side note, I wanted to add here that in the few time I've played UU, i've swept many, many teams with Cinccino. I think people forget about it when building a team, it's quite an underrated threat.

Hello there,

I wonder if you also see Gothorita viable for UU. At the moment it is completely missing an analysis.

So here a short input, so that you can decide, if you like it and want more or not. :)

How came I'm using Gothorita?

I was searching for a Special Wall in UU with additional powers. And after checking all of the existing UU to NU Pokémon with potential I finally discovered Gothorita as a missing link for some tasks.

This goth-punk-mon is amazing and I'm able to hunt some of UU's top threats with it. I have never found such an underestimated Pokémon since playing UU. (Also check out the UU stats for March, where I played some battles with it.)

[OVERVIEW]
• Trapper with massive special defense based on eviolite.
• Even defense is acceptable with eviolite.
• Counters lots of UU threats.

[SET]
Name: Goth ya!
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Psyshock
Move 3: Toxic
Move 4: Rest
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Att

This gives Gothorita a whooping 590 SpD with 324 HP. Just to give you a quick impression:

252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 115-136 (35.49 - 41.97%)

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 99-118 (30.55 - 36.41%)

0 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 63-75 (19.44 - 23.14%)

0 SpA Froslass Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 46-55 (14.19 - 16.97%)

The plan is as easy as useful. Switch-in, use Calm Mind and then Toxic or Rest. Wake-up Shock or more Calm Mind. A lot of opponents can't win even with a Crit in between.

Even more effective you are as revenge killer.

0 Attack is for Foulplay and Psyshock for Calm Mind duels.

Main-objective is to get rid of Spikers (Roserade, Froslass) and Spinners (Hitmontop, Blastoise). (Even when Blastoise will force you out you can still Toxic it and start it slowly going down.)

Sub-objective is hunting Non-super-effective Specialattackers.

And so you got lots of targets to switch in:
Roserade, Froslass, Blastoise, Hitmontop, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Slowbro, Porygon2, Togekiss,...

And even more in addition to revenge kill, if they feel to strong to switch in:
Raikou, Zapdos, Kingdra, Scarfed Chandelure (not using Shadowball), Scarfed Close-combat Heracross,...

Support from Wish and/or Healbell is very welcome to be able to do more switch-ins.

Revenge-kill via Pursuit is the biggest threat. But most strong physical attackers will win.

So that's the short version. If you like it and can see the potential, let me know and I will start an analysis thread for quality check.

Thx,

Hey so, yesterday's discussion about updating Suicune's analysis—either via SCMS or as a full update—mainly to include the CM + Roar monoattacking set, got me thinking and I looked for Raikou's analysis. Why is there no mention of CM + Roar there? I'm not sure if it warrants a full set since I don't have much experience with it, but if you consider that, much like Zapdos, most of its common switch-ins are grounded, Raikou would make a great Spikes shuffler for more offensively-inclined balanced teams...
Has anyone tried that out in BW2 to see how it does? The set in question would be Tbolt / HP Ice / CM / Roar, with I'm guessing max Spa / max Spe, though it could also invest more in HP, I'm not sure....

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Right now, I think Sleep Talk should be slashed with Return in Escavalier's CB set, since it's actually a pretty good option. Escavalier checks Offensive Roserade pretty well and Sleep Talk allows it to take advantage of Sleep Powder and smash shit even while it is asleep. From my experience using Escavalier, Return has been rarely needed, since he's spamming Megahorn more than half the time, so Sleep Talk imo should get a slash because it's a good option.

Also it mentions Moltres, which is pretty irrelevant. Probably replace that with something else.

kokoloko

RE: Regirock -- I'll talk about it with some QCers tonight. QC sweep Topic

RE: Gothorita -- ^ + it could probably use an analysis tbh. QC sweep Topic

RE: CM Roar Suicune / possible update -- I'll check it out, but yeah there should definitely be a CM Roar set, and I'll be writing it myself.

RE: CM Roar Raikou -- Sounds pretty legit actually, I'll add that to OO. DONE

RE: Sleep Talk on CB Escavalier -- Okay, I'll add that to AC. DONE

Haven't actively UUed in a while, but I've seen various players talking about Piloswine lately in the tier as some people's Ground-type of choice. With an Eviolite, it is pretty bulky, and with Thick Fat it takes on HP Ice Electric-types. It is kinda similar to Rhyperior and Swampert (although I think it is worse than both), but it has an interesting niche with its Ice STAB attacks (including the rather valuable Ice Shard) and it has one of the highest relative weights in UU, sitting at around 0.82 iirc. I think it might be analysis worthy due to its niche, as it has some uses over the other two Ground-types (not having a 4x weakness to Grass is certainly notable)

Also, I find it a bit awkward Ninjask has an OU, RU, and NU analysis but not an UU one when it is arguably just as viable here as it is in other tiers, because it basically does the same thing in all the tiers. Any reason why it was deleted/does not exist?

kokoloko

RE: Piloswine -- We'll talk about it when we do a QC sweep in the next couple of weeks.

RE: Ninjask -- It has an OU analysis because Baton Pass is actually a thing there. It has an NU analysis because its a viable NU Pokemon. It has an RU analysis because its a semi-viable niche thing there (kinda like Piloswine is in UU). It does not have a UU analysis because none of those things are true in UU.

Haven't actively UUed in a while, but I've seen various players talking about Piloswine lately in the tier as some people's Ground-type of choice. With an Eviolite, it is pretty bulky, and with Thick Fat it takes on HP Ice Electric-types. It is kinda similar to Rhyperior and Swampert (although I think it is worse than both), but it has an interesting niche with its Ice STAB attacks (including the rather valuable Ice Shard) and it has one of the highest relative weights in UU, sitting at around 0.82 iirc. I think it might be analysis worthy due to its niche, as it has some uses over the other two Ground-types (not having a 4x weakness to Grass is certainly notable)

Also, I find it a bit awkward Ninjask has an OU, RU, and NU analysis but not an UU one when it is arguably just as viable here as it is in other tiers, because it basically does the same thing in all the tiers. Any reason why it was deleted/does not exist?
They also spoke of Electivire, though koko appears to be very adamant of giving it an analysis.

EDIT: Uxie needs to be updated very badly. It is mentioning threats like Charizard and Rotom that are not viable anymore

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)