UU Balanced: Starting a new stage of UU

UU Balanced

Introduction

With Chansey and Donphan banned, we have started a new stage of UU. Now, I was thinking to myself: What sweeper would benefit the most from these changes? With all of the ground types banned, eventually one sweeper came into my mind. Raikou. Now, in this team, I will try to use Rakou to its maximun potential.

At a Glance

@ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge bomb
- Rest

My main special wall. Also sets up hazards to ensure that Raikou sweeps easily. This also my main counter for ground types like Swampert which my Raikou struggles with. Spikes is there for obvious reasons, Giga Drain for STAB and for some recovery, Sludge Bomb for secondary STAb and for coverage, and Rest, due to Natural Cure, works very well because you can fully recover, then you switch out and then Roserade automatically wakes up.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 180 HP / 144 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

This guy is the second third of my F/G/W core and with Intimidate, Morning Sun and Toxic, this functions as a physical wall really well. It also hits pretty hard with its STAB Flare Blitz. ExtremeSpeed is the only priority move on the team and it helps getting rid of weakened threats and faster pokemon. Toxic to weaken walls and bulky waters, and Morning Sun is for some reliable recovery.

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

My spinner. Also the closest thing to a physical sweeper on my team. Hazards are a real problem to my team, especially since Raikou is vulnerable to all hazards, that's why Hitmontop is a valuable asset to my team. Now that Donphan is gone, Hitmontop is the better spinner. Rapid Spin for obvious reasons, Foresight to hit ghosts with Rapid Spin and Close Combat, Close Combat for STAB and Stone Edge for coverage. Also, since both Arcanine and Hitmontop carry intimidate, Physical threats can be easily dealt with.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald

Swampert ends my F/W/G core as it sets up Stealth Rock and this guy also deals with Electric types easily. Stealth Rock for hazard support and to let my Raikou sweep easily. Roar to phaze set up sweepers and to pass hazards around (might change it for Ice Beam, not sure), Earthquake for physical coverage and Scald for special coverage. The burn chance is also awesome.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Substitute

My spinblocker. Also my secondary sweeper if Raikou (somehow) dies. I could replace this with another ghost (Sableye, Dusklops, etc) but for me this is the most solid option for my team. Feel free to criticize me though. Substitute to easily set up, since Mismagius forces a lot of switches, Nasty Plot to increase Mismagius' Special Attack to amazing levels, Shadow Ball for STAB and Hidden Power Fighting for STAB.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The star of the show, this guy is amazing. Easily the MVP. With Donphan and Chansey gone, Raikou can easily sweep in the UU metagame with the appropiate support. Do I really have to say anything else? Substitute to set up easily, Calm Mind to boost its Special Attack and Special Defense to amazing numbers, t-bolt for STAB and Hidden Power Ice for unresisted neutral coverage (except Lanturn).

Importable:

Roserade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

Arcanine (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 144 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald

Mismagius (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Substitute

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rates are much appreciated!

PS: I wanna give some credit to Haunter for being the best UU tutor ever.

Black: Not a threat
Orange: Minor threat
Red: Major threat

By the way, i'm not gonna list Raikou in this Threat List unless it's absolutely necessary.

Offensive

-Aerodactyl: Swampert. Not really that common so w/e.
-Ambipom: Hitmontop, Mismagius, Swampert
-Arcanine: Swampert, Arcanine, Hitmontop
-Azelf: Everybody hates Azelf. Speed ties here we go.
-Azumarill: Swampert, Roserade.
-Bisharp: Swampert, Arcanine, Hitmontop.
-Chandelure: Swampert can check it.
-Cobalion: Hitmontop, Arcanine, Swampert
-Crobat: Arcanine, Swampert
-Darmanitan
-Donphan
-Dugtrio
-Durant
-Eelektross
-Electivire
-Escavalier
-Flygon
-Froslass
-Gallade
-Galvantula
-Golurk
-Gorebyss
-Heracross
-Honchkrow
-Houndoom
-Jolteon
-Kingdra
-Krookodile
-Lilligant
-Machamp
-Mamoswine
-Medicham
-Mew
-Mismagius
-Moltres
-Nidoking
-Ninjask
-Omastar
-Poliwrath
-Porygon-Z
-Raikou
-Rhyperior
-Rotom-C
-Rotom-H
-Sceptile
-Scolipede
-Scyther
-Sharpedo
-Shaymin
-Sigilyph
-Smeargle
-Snorlax
-Stoutland
-Suicune
-Togekiss
-Tornadus
-Venomoth
-Victini
-Weavile
-Yanmega
-Zoroark

Defensive

-Altaria
-Blastoise
-Chansey
-Claydol
-Clefable
-Cresselia
-Cryogonal
-Deoxys-D
-Drapion
-Dusclops
-Dusknoir
-Empoleon
-Ferroseed
-Gligar
-Hippopotas
-Hitmontop
-Milotic
-Nidoqueen
-Porygon2
-Quagsire
-Qwilfish
-Registeel
-Roserade
-Rotom
-Sableye
-Slowbro
-Spiritomb
-Tangrowth
-Umbreon
-Uxie
-Whimsicott
-Xatu
-Zapdos

Pretty good team you've there. Just one thing, is there any advantage to actually running HP Fire over Sludge Bomb on Roserade?

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team. I have a few suggestions for you.

First of all, I think you're right when you say that it's Raikou's time to shine, seeing as Chansey and Alakazam are gone. Although, with Swampert down in OU, I think you should swap Hidden Power Ice for Hidden Power Grass. Without Hidden Power Grass, Swampert will just switch in as you sub up, and phaze you out. HP Grass will let you destroy it. Of course, now, you won't be getting past things like Roserade, but you can set up on them after a Calm Mind or two, and Arcanine and Roserade cover them well, too.

Not only is it Raikou's time to shine, but it's Kingdra's too. It can set up on most members of your team, and nothing can really take it down. Swampert can phaze it, but not without taking over 50% damage from Outrage. I suggest swapping it for something that can tank hits from Kingdra, like Empoleon.

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Empoleon is pretty much the only Pokemon that can tank Kingdra, and the rest of your team could use that, seeing as it's a little weak to it. Like Swampert, it still sets up Stealth Rock, and can phaze, but its typing is just a little different. Try it out and see if Kingdra is still a threat.

Good luck with the team, I hope I helped.

Hey, nice team. I have a few suggestions for you.

First of all, I think you're right when you say that it's Raikou's time to shine, seeing as Chansey and Alakazam are gone. Although, with Swampert down in OU, I think you should swap Hidden Power Ice for Hidden Power Grass. Without Hidden Power Grass, Swampert will just switch in as you sub up, and phaze you out. HP Grass will let you destroy it. Of course, now, you won't be getting past things like Roserade, but you can set up on them after a Calm Mind or two, and Arcanine and Roserade cover them well, too.

Not only is it Raikou's time to shine, but it's Kingdra's too. It can set up on most members of your team, and nothing can really take it down. Swampert can phaze it, but not without taking over 50% damage from Outrage. I suggest swapping it for something that can tank hits from Kingdra, like Empoleon.

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Empoleon is pretty much the only Pokemon that can tank Kingdra, and the rest of your team could use that, seeing as it's a little weak to it. Like Swampert, it still sets up Stealth Rock, and can phaze, but its typing is just a little different. Try it out and see if Kingdra is still a threat.

Good luck with the team, I hope I helped.
ok, will test.

but, that EV spread or the specially defensive spread?

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, the only one that's been on site so far is the specially defensive one, but I think it'd be worth testing for the purpose of walling Kingdra. If it doesn't do too well outside of that, you should probably go with specially defensive EVs

Ok, here's my verdict:

Now, let me start off at remembering what this team is supposed to do: let Raikou sweep. Now, when you think about pokemon that can easily stop it, you usually take a look at its one weakness: ground. For that reason, my team has to easily deal with ground types to let Raikou sweep easily. With Empoleon on my team, I didn't do that. I've been testing and, yeah, Kingdra will we a problem, but Roserade can deal with Special Variants and for the physical variants i'll just have to predict well. But for me a whole type (which is also a great offensive type) is more important than a pokemon. And yes, I know that Mismagius is immune to ground, but it's incredibly frail to take any other hit.

That is why i'm keeping Swampert.

also, Toxic < Roar on Swampert.

By the way, I really need more special defensive walls on my team, but I really don't want Empoleon, cause he gives me another ground weakness. Any suggestions?

Hey

You said that in your latest post that you need more special walls. I suggest using a RestTalk WW Snorlax. Snorlax is a great special wall and with Roserade it can rack up damage with entry hazards making a sweep from Raikou even easier. While Snorlax doesnt resist Ground it still is bulky as hell and can be very hard to beat if the enemy team lacks some very strong psychical attacks.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 208 HP / 124 Def / 178 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind

Also your team looks like it is a little CB Swampert weak. While it is over threatening to your team I still think that a simple change in Roserade's ev spread will let it effectivly handle it. If you run at least 18 Speed EV's you will outspeed all Adamant Swamperts and can OHKO with Giga Drain. Late game outspeeded Swampert could be very important so that you are not taking another EQ and maybe losing the game. I suggest just taking these evs from special defense because of Roserade's fantastic Special Defense.

Summary
-Snorlax over whoever you want. I can't really decide who you should replace
-Move 18 Special Defense evs into Speed on Roserade to outrun Adamant CB Swampert.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)