UU Cores: Community Article

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Introduction

Hey UUers! The only UU Core thread is not maintained, ancient, and sees only spotty activity. Instead of replacing it with another thread that would probably only see spotty activity, I've decided to start a project that will create a lasting product. This is a community project that culminate in an article that details a few of the most effective cores. Users will sign up with a fresh alt and list the core(s) they are using. The ladder competition is pretty simple; users will be ranked in order by their ACRE, and the top 3 will get an entry in the Hall of Fame for their rank. However, that isn't the focus of the project. Users are encouraged to post detailed descriptions of how their cores operate and what makes them good. The UU mods and I will decide which cores to implement into the article based on a combination of effectiveness and description, but any core with a weak description will not be included.

Rules
  • All laddering must be done on a fresh Pokemon Showdown alt
  • Multiple cores can be laddered on the same team, and you may switch members of your team and core
  • Cores must consist of 2 or 3 Pokemon
  • If you want your core to be featured, it must have strong and well explained synergy
  • Put the core descriptions in your registration post to they are easy to find
  • It is recommended that you test your core before posting your description
  • Fill out a different registration form for every core, but keep all registration information for the same alt in the same post
  • VM or PM me if you have any questions!

Registration

Pokemon Showdown Alt:
Core type (Offensive, Defensive, Support):
Pokemon details:
Pokemon @ Item
Nature:
EVs:
IVs (if necessary):
-Move 1
-Move 2
-Move 3
-Move 4

Core description.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm kind of confused as to how the battling aspect has anything to do with the composition of the article. Do only the Hall of Famers get their cores in the guide? What benefit does adding a battling barrier to entry give the thread? More quality control?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown Alt: Judah Maccabee
Core type (Offensive, Defensive, Support): Defensive, Support
Pokemon details: Defensive Cresselia, Defensive Nasty Plot/Heal Bell Togekiss
Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Heal Bell

CressKiss works great because not only is each outrageously difficult to kill individually, each strongly supports the other. Cresselia spreads paralysis and walls an incredible number of Pokemon; its greatest bane is Toxic. Togekiss can Heal Bell away statuses for Cresselia, and outright destroys paralyzed Pokemon. A strong defensive nucleus for virtually any team build; just add an Electric counter, a Chandelure check, and something to deal with Swords Dance Heracross and you're ready for anything.

Ace Emerald

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm kind of confused as to how the battling aspect has anything to do with the composition of the article. Do only the Hall of Famers get their cores in the guide? What benefit does adding a battling barrier to entry give the thread? More quality control?
No, there is no set barrier. I won't prevent entry because a core didn't reach a certain mark, but there is a simple quality control aspect. Cores that don't do too well won't be entered. There are only 3 Hall of Famers, and thats just to provide a basic competitive aspect to the challenge.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, count me in this.

Pokemon Showdown Alt: Mighty Mesprit
Core type: Offensive
Pokemon details: Taunt+DD Scrafty, SubCM Cresselia
Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Taunt

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Def / 80 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

Scrafty and Cresselia have pretty good synergy both offensively and somewhat defensively. The Scrafty set plays as both a sweeper and a stallbreaker that can prevent stall teams from doing anything, and also shuts down Cofag+Umbreon cores and the likes. Shed Skin adds to the flavor too, since Scrafty is very often hindered by status and this somewhat mitigates that. Cresselia, on the other hand, is a strong bulky sweeper who uses her titanic bulk to get boosts really easily while lasting really long. Cresselia, however, has a lot of trouble with Dark-types such as Bisharp and Umbreon, so Scrafty pretty much handles the troublesome Dark and Ghost-types that Cresselia despises. Cresselia can use Scarf Mienshaos and Heracross's that try and smash Scrafty with their Fighting STAB and start setting up. Oh, and Scrafty can use bulky Psychic-types such as Slowbro as bait in case they try and stop Cress from pulling off shit. A pretty strong bulky offense core that works pretty well on bulkier kinds of teams.

NINJA EDIT: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/showthread.php?13048-Cool-Stuff-to-use-in-UU Credit taken from this PO thread I lurked (and posted in twice)

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Alt: Downpour
Core Type: Offense
Pokemon Details: Rain Dance Tornadus, Choice Specs Kingdra, Standard Sharpedo

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Waterfall

I will update the description a little later.

Are we trying to do unorthodox/interesting cores here? If that is not necessarily the goal, then some really good cores to cover for those newer to the UU metagame would be some of the simple ones
i.e. shaymin/rhyperior (and crobat too for good measure in most cases), snorlax/cofagrigus, snorlax/slowbro (nidoqueen too... Anna Molly ^^)

Anyway, I want to do a fun utlitity/annoyance core that works rather well from my experience.

Pokemon Showdown Alt: v3tehax
Core type (Offensive, Defensive, Support): More support (utility)/defensive oriented
Cobalion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 232 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Basically, cobalion is really good in this metagame, as it has the potential to serve so many roles depending on the team. To list off its uses, it has high speed (beats mienshao!), SR, switches in on Snorlax and sets up, checks status boosters (curse snorlax, I'm looking at you ^^), scouts, and paralyzes dangerous threats. When the rest of my team has trouble beating a threat, cobalion switches in and gets off a fast paralysis. Shaymin deals with water/ground types that like to switch into cobalion, and can deal a lot of damage, especially with paralysis support for faster things and free substitutes (full paralysis is great...)! Finally, slowbro provides a strong switch-in to physical fire types, which both pokemon in the rest of the core attract. It also tanks U-turns like a boss with Regenerator (name me something that actually will do much U-turn damage after lefties/regenerator...), which Shaymin attracts so often with its substitutes.

The basic concept of the core is provide a whole bunch of utility, spread paralysis, and get around passive damage (SR/leech seed does so much of the damage in my battles) while taking little in return. Cobalion is played sacrificially after it gets SR up, unless it will be really good against the opposing team (i.e. hail). In general, getting SR up or paralysis on their Zapdos/Chandelure is worth taking 70%, as it makes it a lot easier for the rest of the team to deal with those threats. Volt switch and substitute/leech seed keep the opponent on the back foot, as I don't have to predict much and they have to think ahead to stop me from gaining momentum.

Problem pokemon that the rest of the team should deal with: Roserade, Chandelure, Zapdos. Therefore, a scarf fire type (victini or darmanitan) work well as they can u-turn out of chandelure, 100% ohko zapdos (with SR), and u-turn/ohko roserade.

Ace Emerald

Are we trying to do unorthodox/interesting cores here? If that is not necessarily the goal, then some really good cores to cover for those newer to the UU metagame would be some of the simple ones
i.e. shaymin/rhyperior (and crobat too for good measure in most cases), snorlax/cofagrigus, snorlax/slowbro (nidoqueen too... Anna Molly ^^)
I'm not going for anything in particular, I'm just going for effective cores. It can be simple, complex, standard, unorthodox, I just want a pool of really effective cores to put in an article to help users teambuild.

Pokemon Showdown Alt: As A Friend
Core type (Offensive, Defensive, Support): Offensive
Pokemon details:

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Return

Crobat @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

I was looking for inspiration in the UU Core Collection thread and found a interesting core that I liked. It was Choice Band Snorlax, Choice Specs Slowbro and Crobat. (thanks Cim) The former two pokemon are generally more defensive orientated, this is where opponent makes a huge mistake thinking they'll tank a weak Body Slam or Scald they'll actually be a CB Return or CS Surf. Crobat is used to deal with Fighting-types that rule UU. Crobat helps me especially against dangerous threats suck as SD Heracross and DD / BU Scrafty etc. Also taking a offensive route with Defensive pokemon they can still tank powerful moves that fly around in UU.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Pokemon Showdown Alt: Groudon Ramsay
Core type (Offensive, Defensive, Support): Defensive / Support
Pokemon:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Inner Focus / Infiltrator
EVs: 168 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SpD / 144 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- U-turn

First thing I should note is that I'd never use defensive Suicune without Heal Bell support, and neither should you. Otherwise you should be using any other bulky water. The idea is that between Suicune and Umbreon you cover a huge portion of the metagame; pretty much everything save Fighting-types and Shaymin, which is where Crobat comes in.

Suicune doubles as a sweeper, obviously. Most of the time you'll find that Suicune's presence is so nonthreatening that your opponent will just use the turns it comes in to set up on it (be it Spikes, screens, or his/her own boosting sweeper). That's the beauty of the set. If they choose to set up, you just set up right alongside them and either start wrecking at +3 or +4 or Roar them out at around +2/+3 and now they have to deal with a nigh-unbreakable tank. 52 Speed is for -1 CB Victini.

Umbreon is there to beat nearly everything Suicune has trouble with and wake it up/support the team. I used to be of the mindset that Umbreon was ass, then about 3 months ago I had my CB Snorlax nearly OHKOd by Foul Play and realized that it was the gem it was missing this whole time. Even with most people catching on and making all their Special Attackers' Attack IVs 0, Foul Play does enough to them, on top of deterring switches from physical attackers (did you know it cleanly 2HKOs Mienshao?).

Its just a really solid core all around. It has trouble with Togekiss, though, so you'll need something to take care of that.

Here is my core.

Alt for testing: EpicZoom
Core type: Offensive (bulky offense if it needs to be more specific)
Pokemon Details:
Rhyperior (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP/80 Atk/176 SpD
Nature: Careful
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn
-Avalanche

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Focus Blast
-Bounce

Chandelure (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Fire Blast
-Flame Charge
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball

Description: While not a FWG core, this core's synergy is very good. In many cases either Chandelure or Virizion will be my win condition, while Rhyperior punches holes in anything with its fantastic coverage and titanic attack stat. No weakness is shared by all three Pokemon, and any weakness that two of the three Pokemon share is resisted by the third. Virizion switches into Water and Grass moves, Chandelure switches into Fighting and Fire type moves, Rhyperior switches into Electric and Flying type moves, etc.

So anyway, onto the moves. Rhyperior's two STABs give it EdgeQuake, and were too powerful to pass up. Megahorn is useful for a handful of Pokemon, such as Umbreon, Slowbro/Slowking, etc. Really anything that doesn't resist it will get blasted by it. Finally, Avalanche was chosen over Ice Punch since Rhyperior is really slow anyway, and thus usually moves last in a turn, so the 120 BP is much appreciated over 75. Avalanche hits Grass and Flying-types who switch-in expecting Earthquake, most notably Yanmega, who destroys this core if sufficiently weakened (though my plan of attack depends whether it has HP Ground or Giga Drain). It is also more reliable to hit Flying-types with than Stone Edge due to the 100% accuracy.

Mixed Virizion has shocked opponents very often. The base 128 Special Defense and Base 108 Speed let Virizion set up Calm Minds easily when it switches in on something that it forces out (e.g. Swampert, Rhyperior, Umbreon, etc.). Giga Drain is the main STAB, letting Virizion recover good chunks of health on some opponents, and it helps to cancel out LO recoil. Focus Blast was chosen for a lack of a better alternative, and while unreliable, it hits many UU Pokemon for a lot of damage, especially Umbreon and Registeel. Bounce is where the surprise comes into play, capitalizing on the abundance of Fighting-types in UU. It easily OHKOs Heracross (unless it has a Choice Scarf), and lets Virizion force non-Scarfed Mienshao out, because Virizion outspeeds it by 3 base points. When Mienshao comes in, Virizion Bounces as Mienshao crashes with Hi Jump Kick, and then must switch out. The switch in then runs the risk of getting paralyzed.

Chandelure is most often my cleaner, with an Air Balloon equipped to ensure same switch-ins to Earthquake, as well as Yanmega's HP Ground. Flame Charge lets it get the sweep rolling, either on a switch-in or a Pokemon with very little health with that it naturally outspeeds. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are the nukes, doing heavy damage off a base 145 SpA stat, and having decent coverage in general. Energy Ball hits a number of other Pokemon, most notably Swampert, for heavy damage. Thick Fat Snorlax and Trace Porygon2 must be removed before attempting a Chandelure clean.

Now for some words on the EVs: Virizion and Chandelure's EVs are perfectly straightforward, maximizing speed and their main attacking stat to optimize damage output. Rhyperior's EVs are a bit wacky, though. The EVs are designed to survive one Giga Drain from LO 252 SpA Yanmega with a modest nature at full health and OHKO with Stone Edge or Avalanche. Really, this is very shaky with SR everywhere, but it sometimes helps anyway.

Laddering: ---- wavering around the 1700 mark, solid by my standards.

Replays:
Enjoy the show!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-34207195
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-32932214
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-30621040
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-30333806
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-30262837
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-30168058
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-21074957
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-20945302
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-20804172
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-20803477
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-20755138

Let's see if we can get some spark in this thing. First of all, don't listen to koko, he's bad at Maths. Only 52 Spe EVs are needed to beat positive natured non-Scarf Tini. That gives you 216 Def, which with a Bold nature earns you a total of two points over koko's given spread :P

I've been using this core for quite a while now, and to good success on the ladder at least—I lost against reach using a variation of the team in UUPL. Now, since the ladder reset, I can probably put this thing to work once again.

Alt for testing:
Core type: Defensive / Supportive
Pokemon Details:

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Roserade (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 216 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Roar

Nothing out of the ordinary really, since it's three of the top UU Pokemon. It's a hazard stacking core with Zapdos being the key member. Rhyperior is one of the most solid Pokemon in the game, serving as a phenomenal check to non-HP Grass Legends, Snorlax, Togekiss, and physical Fire-types all in one. It also sets up SR and is a near free switch for Hitmontop and Blastoise, both of which getting set up on by Roserade. It also gives switches to bulky Water-types, all but two not being able to harm Roserade at all, and Shaymin, who can't hope to beat the other two combined. Rhyperior can also help against Crobat and Honchkrow, which like to switch into Rose, although Zapdos is usually better at beating them due to packing recovery. Dragon Tail deals over 50% to Flygon that thinks it can get a free switch. Roserade forfeits recovery to become a bigger utility mon in the form of Aromatherapy, although I guess you could run HP Fire to deal some damage to Steels (especially Bronzong, which can't get worn down by hazards). 28 SpA EVs guarantee that I break Raikou's +1 Subs, so that it can't use it as setup bait, while 16 EVs outspeeds Modest Empoleon.
Zapdos, which is arguably the best Pokemon in the game (some might argue Snorlax is) rounds out the core. It's one of the best Spikes abusers with Roar, simply because most of its switchins are grounded—think Snorlax, Rhyperior, Nidoqueen, Swampert, Umbreon, Raikou, Porygon2 the ubiquitous SpD Mew—so Roar becomes an amazing fourth move. Discharge is mainly for Raikou that try to get naughty, but it can also help against SpD T-Wave Kiss, which could be an issue if Rhyperior is in no position to fight back. Biggest issue is that you are more likely to get screwed over by an Umbreon switch, which is why Thunderbolt is a viable alternative. HP Flying goes with the EV spread to outspeed and KO non-Scarf Adamant Hera, which can be a major concern to any team.

Problems to this core are SD Weavile (what a shock, right?), NP or double dance Porygon-Z, Jolly SD Heracross (nonexistant), and most Chandelure. Oh, and MixTini, I suppose. You have three slots to cover, I'm sure you can come up with something.

Ace Emerald

Is there a deadline for laddering?
The laddering was never the focus of the project, I really just want an article crafted by the community that gives future generations an idea of what BW2 UU was like. So no specific deadline.

I'm not going to list an alt, because it seems like that's not really important for this project. This is a pretty cool core. The first 2/3 of it is mostly copied from ladderer lol1z's team, though I made one change. :

Core Type: Defensive / Supportive

Core:
Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Psychic / Night Shade
- Grass Knot
- U-turn
- Roost

Gligar @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spd
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Toxic / Foul Play

This core is meant for VoltTurn teams, as you can see. The idea is to give a VoltTurn a solid defensive backbone, then pair that with a powerful offensive core (plenty of choices for this) that can break through pesky walls like Umbreon. Xatu provides the entry hazard support that is invaluable for a VoltTurn team, while helping Gligar check a lot of dangerous physical threats. U-Turn and Roost are obvious, Rocky Helmet is quite useful, and Grass Knot helps Xatu against Rhyperior, a notable Stealth Rock setter Xatu normally struggles with. Psychic helps you with Crobat, and to some extent Nidoqueen (though you still don't do too well against those), while Night Shade lets you beat Bronzong. The Gligar set is standard, setting up hazards to make your VoltTurn even more annoying, while walling most physical threats. Umbreon gives you a check to almost every special threat, supports the team with Wishes and uses Baton Pass to retain momentum. Protect is a really crucial move here, as it lets you scout some of the powerful Choiced mons that can be really devastating to this archetype if they predict correctly. I wish you could have both Toxic and Foul Play, but you'll have to choose one, and it's a difficult choice. Speed IVs are tweaked so these Pokemon move slower in a mirror match. Defensive Pokemon really want a slow U-turn, and honestly you could lower these IVs more or even give them -Spe natures if you find certain things you want to underspeed.

This core definitely has its weaknesses, and you'll want good offensive ways to deal with them in your other three Pokemon. As with many defensive cores, Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega walks all over these guys, so you'll want at least two, and possibly all, of your other teammates to outpace it. Following this logic, Speed Boost Yanmega might be difficult to deal with for the whole team, so try to keep the core healthy so you can stall it out. Really any Special Attacker that has a way of breaking Umbreon does well against these guys. Darmanitan and Choice Scarf Hidden Power Ice Mienshao are huge problems. The former just beats stuff up, while the latter has the coverage to succeed against all of your mons. It's one of the reasons Protect is so good on Umbreon here.

This core is pretty strong, but it does have it's weaknesses, and some won't be easy to cobble even with your offense. Just like any other team, the team you base this core around will encounter a couple of Pokemon that can run through the team provided smart play from your opponent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)