Project UU Next Best Thing Crown Tundra Edition: Week 52: Slowking | Voting Phase

romanji

/ᐠ - ˕ -マ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
SUB POWER-UP PUNCH
:gs/azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Power-Up Punch
- Liquidation
- Play Rough

Azumarill takes advantage of its good defensive typing and high HP to force out in switch-ins such as Amoonguss and block status, while getting Attack boosts. Aqua Jet benefits from the Attack boosts, being able to revenge kill faster Pokemon such as Nihilego and Krookodile without breaking the Substitute.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Play Rough
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This set allows you to boost using curse and azumarill and due to investing in sp. def it can take special hits from things such as moltres-g, rest talk primarina, and salamence. Curse allows it to set up and not fear pokemon like zarude, tapu bulu, and tangrowth being in its path due to sap sipper absorbing all grass type moves. Rest talk is to keep it healthy and not to be dead weight while asleep.

Tankish Azumarill

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Amnesia
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

General idea
Here we have a SpDefensive Azumarill instead of an offensive one and I'm going to elaborate why.
Azumarill is one of the most bulky Fairies all around and it comes with a good defensive typing to begin with.

Seismic Toss is perfect to deal solid damage bypassing burn and Intimidates, while Rest gets rid of annoying status such as poison while recharging all its health in the process. One attacking move is mandatory to have a way to circumvent Taunt to some extent.
Sleep Talk complements Rest very well and Amnesia allows Azumarill to gain a lot of staying power.

I like to use a SpD set inclined because I think that cover the SpD is more useful considering all the resistances and weaknesses.

Few defensive calcs:
  • 0 SpA Tentacruel Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Azumarill: 134-162 (33.1 - 40%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
Even Tentacruel can be used as a set-up bait despite the supereffective attack.
  • 252 SpA Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Azumarill: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This is not bad because Azumarill deals solid damage in return and, after an Amnesia (totally unexpected), it might barely take another -2 Leaf Storm at +2 SpD.
  • Thick Fat is picked over Sap Sipper because it allows us to use a pokèmon resistant 4x to both Fire and Ice, which is usually pretty rare, maybe unique.

Team(mate) support
Hazards control is always good because Azumarill is hit by all hazards.
Wish support and/or Screens support makes the set-up a lot more easy.

Last edited:

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Now that the voting phase has ended, its time to announce our winner! Week 25's winner is Perishpool by Monky25 Congratulations and thank you all for participating! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly!​
This week's Next Best Thing is...

Week 26: Tangrowth

:ss/Tangrowth:

With access to Regenerator, good bulk and decent Defensive typing, Tangrowth has been able to run both a physically defensive and specially defensive set, which is quite a feat in and of itself. It has a wide movepool that allows it to put foes asleep, remove their items, and more. However, it is held back by the presence of Steel- and Poison-types such as Scizor and Amoongus. This week how will you explore Tangrowth's hidden power?

Banned Sets
:Rocky-Helmet: :Assault-Vest:
(click me)

You have until (Thursday, July 2nd) to submit your set!

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Sun Sweeper Tangrowth
:ss/tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb / Rock Slide

I originally thought about nominating Specs Tangrowth (has been used in OU tournaments a few times), but since Choice items are banned I figured ChloroTang was the next best thing. Despite Tangrowth's low base speed, it can still afford a Special Attack-boosting nature (with Rash chosen over Mild because Tangrowth can't take special hits at all anyway) and outspeed everything unboosted in the tier in sun. Growth allows Tangrowth to boost its already fairly solid offenses, Giga Drain is a good STAB move that provides some recovery, Earthquake hits Steel-types supereffectively, and the last slot is team dependent: Sludge Bomb hits Zarude, opposing Tangrowth, and the occasional Tapu Bulu harder, while Rock Slide does more damage to Flying-types like Salamence and Moltres.

You're probably wondering why you would use this over Venusaur on sun, and the answer is you don't: it's meant to be used alongside Venusaur to overwhelm its usual checks.

Last edited:
Dual Status

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rock Slide

Old Gen players are quaking in their boots upon seeing this set. The premise is simple: sleep whatever switches into you and immediately paralyze the next mon that tries to switch into you. Works best with mons that appreciate stuff like Mence & Molt asleep/paralyzed.

Last edited:
:ss/Tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

I think some of y'all forgot tangrowth got a nice base attack, meaning it can utilize a swords dance set pretty well. The 3 moves I chose are basic coverage for fires and electrics as well as STAB. I've tried SD tang is not even that bad lmao

Last edited:
LO Nature Power Tangrowth
Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Nature Power
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

General idea
Here we have an offensive Tangrowth with 4 attacking moves in order to have the best coverage available.
Giga Drain is for recovery and, alongside Life Orb, it reaches a good power.
Sludge Bomb + Earthquake is the dual coverage combination. The first move has a good poison chance that is useful towards targets resistant towards this move, while the latter one is supereffective towards the Steel-type pokèmons immune to Poison.
Nature Power is the hidden gem of the set because, in only one slot, it can be:
(1) Psychic
(2) Moonblast
(3) Thunderbolt
(4) Energy Ball
(5) Tri Attack
These options are all valuable, even Energy Ball due to the higher base power than Giga Drain, for example:
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Tangrowth Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Politoed: 374-439 (97.3 - 114.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Tangrowth Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primarina: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 374-445 (109.3 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Tangrowth Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Conkeldurr: 372-439 (105.9 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Tangrowth Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mantine: 374-442 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The choice between the ability is harsh, but Regenerator is that one that require little-to-no support, so I picked that.

Team(mates) support
Terrain support is invaluable because it let's you have more control of Nature Power instead on wishing for the opponent's terrain setter(s).

Last edited:

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Now that the voting phase has ended, its time to announce our winner! Week 26's winner is Sun Sweeper and Dual Status by TailGlowVM and iceblazer, respectively! Congratulations and thank you all for participating! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly!​
This week's Next Best Thing is...

Week #: Pokémon

:ss/Slowbro-Galar:

With good typing, access to Regenerator, and a wide array of coverage, Slowbro-Galar is one of the best setup sweepers in the tier as it can set up multiple times over the course of a battle, and can frequently catch unprepared eams off guard due to its few common answers. This week its time for you to explore the hidden potential of Slowbro-Galar to possibly make it even more potent.

Banned Sets
:Assault Vest: :Colbur-Berry: / :Shuca-Berry:
(click me)

You have until Thursday, July 8th at 11:59pm EDT to submit your set!

Trick + Black Sludge Slowbro-Galar

Slowbro-Galar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Trick

One big advantage of defensive Poison-type Pokémons is the possibility to effectively run Black Sludge over Leftovers.
Trick is what makes this item deadly because it puts a timer onto the opponent's threat that stacks with other effects (i.e. burn, poison).
Just be wary of Choice Band and you will be fine.
Black Sludge + Psyshock is the dual STAB combination, whereas Flamethrower is here to have more coverage while spreading annoying status if that 10% chance occurs.

You have to drop Slack Off, but without investment into Def/SpD I think it is less reliable because you miss bulk to take less than 50% damage.

88 Spe EVs are here to outspeed Rhyperior in order to use Trick before beng hit.

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Curse Sweeper Slowbro-Galar
:ss/slowbro_galar:
Slowbro-Galar @ Shuca / Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Shell Side Arm
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

This set focuses on Galarian Slowbro's usually neglected base 100 Attack, and that Curse can also boost its already solid physical bulk. Using Curse means you can run a specially defensive spread giving it better mixed bulk, and Poison and Ground moves provide near perfect neutral coverage, threatening stuff that might attempt to check Calm Mind sets like Chansey, specially defensive Aegislash, and Nihilego.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)