Tournament UU Premier League X - Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
OU Forum Leader
ZUWCVV4.png

Shout-outs to Violet for the banner and Ticken for the Records Spreadsheet.

Announcements
Season Schedule
Records Spreadsheet

Tournament Rules and General Guidelines
- Baton Pass is banned ADV UU.
- All standard tournament rules apply
- Best of 3 tiers include SS UU, SM UU and ORAS UU. Both players can decide what tier to play first, and if they can't agree, then the first tier will default to SS UU. Loser picks the tier after that.

Matchups

LCpVgKq.png
20x7twd.png
GXSAU2z.png

Cinnabar Arcade Stars (5) vs. (5) Iki Town Idols

SS: TSR vs. umbry
SS: ProDigeZz vs. Lyss
SS: ez vs. Specs
SM: Corazan vs. Santu
ORAS: Killintime vs. Bouff
BW: Amukamara vs. Finchinator
DPP: Raichy vs. innovamania
ADV: Plas vs. Hyogafodex
GSC: Torchic vs. gorgie
Bo3: pdt vs. Lily

mAdd32A.png
20x7twd.png
wETcJQl.png

Camphrier Town Ladies (5) vs. (5) Moomoo Farm Mysterious Sisters

SS: freezai vs. Highways
SS: Raptor vs. beatiful
SS: Moutemoute vs. Sage
SM: ramolost vs. avarice
ORAS: Accel vs. Spl4sh
BW: snaga vs. dingbat
DPP: Thiago Nunes vs. Heysup
ADV: Roseybear vs. crayon pop
GSC: Estarossa vs. HSA
Bo3: Adaam vs. mncmt

1QEW1ef.png
20x7twd.png
GISI5iV.png

Friend Safari Pokemon Trainers (7) vs. (3) Snowpoint Temple Commanders

SS: TJ vs. xujing691691
SS: Meru vs. Punny
SS: Mimilucha vs. Askov
SM: odr vs. Xiri
ORAS: Chaitanya vs. Scalescale
BW: Lunala vs. Mr.378
DPP: LpZ vs. MrAldo
ADV: fatty vs. A Hero's Destiny
GSC: Holly vs. vani
Bo3: pokemonisfun vs. EternalSnowman

KJvXqzv.png
20x7twd.png
0RwXziv.gif

Safari Zone Smashers (6) vs. (4) Mikan Island Monsters

SS: dunoks vs. Indigo Plateau
SS: 64 Squares vs. KSt3ve
SS: DonSalvatore vs. jeza.p
SM: Gondra vs. Leo
ORAS: Pak vs. Ark
BW: Bushtush vs. Eternal Spirit
DPP: Void vs. Pearl
ADV: Shiba vs. bruno
GSC: Inder vs. Garay oak
Bo3: robjr vs. Star

Cinnabar Arcade Stars ( ) vs. ( ) Iki Town Idols

Camphrier Town Ladies ( ) vs. ( ) Moomoo Farm Mysterious Sisters

SS: Moutemoute vs. sage
ADV: Roseybear vs. osgoode

Friend Safari Pokemon Trainers ( ) vs. ( ) Snowpoint Temple Commanders

ORAS: Chaitanya vs. Scalescale

Safari Zone Smashers ( ) vs. ( ) Mikan Island Monsters

SS: DonSalvatore vs. Jeza.p

The deadline for Week 2 is: Sunday, March 13th @ 11:59PM EST (GMT-5)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cinnabar Arcade Stars (4) vs. (6) Iki Town Idols

Camphrier Town Ladies (3) vs. (7) Moomoo Farm Mysterious Sisters

SS: Moutemoute vs. sage

Safari Zone Smashers (4) vs. (6) Mikan Island Monsters

SS: DonSalvatore vs. Jeza.p

Week1: 15/30, call her a brazilian

Since there is no UUPL discussion room I am going to post this here. My week 1 recap post of GSC UU. It's long af.

Week 1 Games

Holly vs Gorgie

Holly brought a standard team that has been copied into the builder of numerous players, but she pioneered it. It’s a team of 3 relatively bulky sleep talkers in Pilo, Toise and Lanturn followed by Qwilfish, Haunter and Jumpluff. This is can be a good choice vs an opponent you might not be familiar with/or is probably not as experienced with the tier since it comes with many surprise factors (Jumpluff proved her worth here), solid spikes control in Blastoise and the unexpectedly bulky Lanturn, which is a good answer vs Psychics. I can’t wrap my head around Gorgie’s team. It seems like it has the structure of a HO team with the lead HP bug Scyther lead and the lack of spikes, however it falls short of one since an off-Hypno with Curse and Psychic takes Qwillfish’s place. It could have worked out against Holly’s lack of Psychic resists, but unfortunately it lost to a crit. Gorgie’s Bellossom would have worked wonders if it had Stun Spore instead of sleep powder, letting in too many switchins. His Nidoqueen would have been granted the luxury of being able to use Lovely Kiss over Moonlight, since its role as Electric answer isn’t as taxing on it with the presence of a Grass type on the team.

Breakdown
With an early crit on Lanturn and a sleep on Holly’s Qwillfish, Gorgie was set up to go in two different ways with a sweep. From the position of turn 7 he could have switched to Scyther and gotten a lot of initial momentum (forcing Holly to go to Jumpluff). Spamming Leech Seed cued Holly to go to Haunter and steal Leftovers, targeting an incoming Hypno. Holly played it safe, using Piloswine as a blanket check that allowed few entries and let the spikes and intermittent Leech seeds be her method of always providing damage to Gorgie’s team. Gorgie’s Hypno was put in an awkward position and was forced to Rest early, not allowing it to put as much pressure as he might have intended it to. This is too bad because the Hypno had Curse to sweep with Body Slam and Psychic to spam the hell out of. Really potent if only given the correct support. Perhaps in a moment of hesitation, Gorgie bp’s to Haunter instead of Granbull. I can only assume out of fear of Haunter (also assuming that the Bull is not Hidden Power Ground). With Jumpluff out of the way Hypno looks like it’s ready to setup and take out at least 2 pokes in Holly’s tea, opening her up to the likes of Nido and Bull, but it ends up dying to a crit.
The lack of spikes allowed Holly to shift the gears and apply ungodly amounts of pressure with Haunter. Unfortunately the Off-Hypno may have proven too costly to afford on this type of team, especially with a Bellossom that wasn’t really able to pull her weight after the first hurdle.

Inder vs Hsa

The Light Screen, the dry pass, the wall breaker, the double bug, the explosion. HSA’s team screams badass offense. Hyper offense teams in gsc uu have a tendency to be a little bit telegraphed so good on him to mix things up a lot. The pinsir lead has a good matchup vs Psychics and can force opponents to scramble immediately to their hazer only to take loads of damage, thus enabling your REAL setup sweeper(s) in the back. He also has a Mr.mime that serves the purpose of setting a light screen before baton passing to something else. The choice to differentiate between screen users rather than relegating Light Screen and Reflect makes Electrode and the rest of the team even more unpredictable. Curse Lovely kiss granbull lures in checks that bug types like Pinsir tend to have in common with it and puts them to sleep, and finally Double Edge is incompatible with Scyther’s BP, so it’s usually 3 attacks for maximum sweeping abilities in the late game. Inder’s team is a run of the mill Granbull Scyther Nido offense team with Spikes, Haunter and Light Screen Hypno. Unfortunately Light screen won’t come in handy against a team that focuses on physical offense.

Breakdown
HSA maintained control for nearly the whole game. He immediately gets momentum by forcing a switch out T1. I am not sure I agree with going to Qwilfish turn 1 on Inder’s side, as it can end up taking too much damage, without being able to use Haze in time due to speed ties. Scouting with any means necessary could be more effective, either switching in Haunter or straight up attacking with Hypno (one of the only Psychics that is not put within an inch of its life by unboosted Pinsir HP Bug). Damaging Pinsir would help you find out whether it has HP Ground (lowered bulk) or HP Bug (perfect bulk). Although Inder does initially manage to stop the onslaught of Pinsir, he makes a preemptive Explosion with his Haunter, costing him his Normal immune mon. Not much else to say there beside that a Magneton or an Omastar or even Shuckle may have fared better against HSA’s team rather than Haunter.

Torchic vs The Show (Estarossa)

There are games where crits, full paras and freezes don’t matter too much, and those that turn a game around. Unfortunately for Torchic, this was just a situation where RNG put him in a terrible spot from the get go against an already amazing player.

The type offence-defense synergy in Esta’s teams shows its true colours. Slowbro is more susceptible to Nidoqueen, hence the presence of Piloswine and Granbull (both are also really threatening to BP teams as well which are commonly used by newer players). If used carefully, the latter mon can get a setup opportunity on many occasions that opposing Nidoqueen is in. Bro also poses a huge challenge to teams that over rely on their own Psychics to handle opposing Psychic types thanks to Surf STAB. Then a Spiker-Hazer in Qwilfish with a Thief Haunter to stop many physical attackers and also nullify Leftovers recovery and finally a Scyther for Speed control and to BP to the physical attackers. Torchic has a Slowbro as well, which functions as a budget Granbull check. Interesting week 1 choice by bringing Electabuzz lead, paired with Granbull (could Buzz have Pursuit?). The only problem is that the team stacks a few weaknesses together, notably Psychic Bolt and Quake Beam.

Breakdown

Esta does a much better job of respecting Torchic’s various mons, never switching anything he doesn’t have to. He does get a freeze on a first attempt of Ice Beam. With his Slowbro frozen, he does a good attempt to come back by using a Light Screen Scyther but it is to no avail due to the Granbull coming in. I personally might have tried Granbull first, since luring in a Normal resist has a likely chance of it being Magneton or Omastar, a Nidoqueen and Slowbro entry point, respectively. Sacking Slowbro may also have proven less wreckless than letting Qwillfish get weakened without knowing Esta’s last two pokemon in the back. Turn 39 I might have tried with the little opportunity that was left, to bring in Nidoqueen and attempt to land Fire Blast (or bluff) since Granbull + Buzz are the only outs Torchic had left against Esta’s Granbull. All in all I think Torchic fought well but it was not enough to come back from that and he couldn’t keep up with Esta’s calculated play in this match.

Garay Oak vs Vani

Perhaps the matchup I was the least certain about.
Vani does the exact opposite of Gorgie in the other match and brings Qwilfish over Hypno on a stall team that looks a lot like this sample. It’s your run of the mill stall team with Spikes control. I agree with the Qwillfish choice as Spikes can be a much more reliable asset against another player if you know that you can maintain the pace. That said, his Shuckle has Rest and Sleep Talk, which is really awkward since it is reduced to a literal Granbull wall, rather than a Granbull wall that also annoys some pokemon sometimes and causes Nidoqueen to use up her PP and Water types not named Qwilfish have to switch in uncomfortably only to get toxic’d. I also think that something like Jumpluff could have fit in over Crobat to avoid redundancy of Poison types and expand on the utility. Judging by the lack of a need for Heal Bell his Chansey might have had something else but who knows. Both players brought Thief Buzz lead, which is pretty funny (LOL got your lefties, nope I got yours, can I have that back? Thanks).
Garay Oak brought a really strong offence team with lots of outs vs Stall. The aforementioned Electabuzz, Gyarados (STAB water and mixed offenses), Nidoqueen, Haunter (probably boom) and curse Qwilfish too, the bane of Blastoise, so this wasn’t going to be easy for Vani.

Breakdown

I really like how Garay Oak handled the early game, especially since it came out of a bewildering first few turns in a Buzz ditto. He gets a lot of value by doing few key moves by first Thiefing Chansey, switching in Nido, doubling into Qwillfish and capitalizing by setting up Curse after Spikes are on the ground. After being forced to scrap with Garay for some breathing room, Vani’s Chansey is put out of commission with an EQ into para, leaving him with no special wall and the need of a miracle for his Blastoise. Though the miracle does look like it comes and he valiantly attempts to repel Garay’s onslaught (with an advantage in numbers), Vani’s team looks like it can’t hold up much longer. 4 of his pokes were either paralysed or vitally wounded and couldn’t fight back against Curse Qwilfish, Nidoqueen and Buzz.

The Teams
week 1 UUPL gsc uu.JPG

Fun facts

• 6 Haunter, 1 shuckle, 6 Spikes, 1 spinner, 4 electric leads (3 Thief buzz, 1 Lanturn), only 6 Psychics (3 Hypno, 2 Bro, 1 Mime).
  • Physical offense prevailed on Balance and run-of-the-mill Nido-Scy-Bull teams.
  • Extremely high Haunter with a very high win rate to boot. Very few Psychic types this week, which also led to Haunter being very difficult to respect. Qwillfish is strong as ever. Qwilfish is also a fairly strong reason for Haunter being chosen over Omastar which is a strong entry point.
  • Hidden Power Ground Pinsir is a new asset that has only been glossed over in this meta until quite recently.

Cool breakdown of the games and teams, was a good read. Thought i'd take the opportunity to comment on something you actually predicted a little wrong about my team here, I was actually also a Light Screen SD Scyther on this team, not BP!

This assumption on your end about BPing into Pilo/Bull was definitely partly what the team was actually going for in essence to potentially try and force stuff like Slowbro / Pilowine to attept to 1v1 it due to the solid BP matchup they posess and end up potentially turning matchups on their head, and in general its just a cool option that can really break through a lot of these things like slowbro / nidoqueen / omastar that could otherwise try and 1v1 it fine.

In this matchup itd have been particularly interesting since Slowbro was Torchic's main way of dealing with Granbull too, and if he tried going that first it would prevent Electabuzz from even attempting to speed tie and revenge it if LS was up, while Torchic's Granbull was not Rest as confirmed after the game so would have struggled to deal with it as well as mine did his. But yea the early freeze kinda rendered that moot anyway (although i'd have had a decent chance at firing off quite a few of these ice beams over the game imo, piloswine had a nice matchup vs him).

Cinnabar Arcade Stars (6) vs. (4 ) Iki Town Idols

SS: TSR vs. umbry - 3 letter name
SS: ProDigeZz vs. Lyss - prodigezz is a new superstar and I believe Lyss should have won last week
SM: Corazan vs. Santu - cora lost to ramo, I think Santu went 6-3 in one of the hardest gen7uu pools ever in UUSD
ORAS: Killintime vs. Bouff - bouff: bouff but KT is in the uu disc and bouff isn't
BW: Amukamara vs. Finchinator - liam is nicer than finch imo
DPP: Raichy vs. innovamania - people with mons nicknames > all
ADV: Plas vs. Hyogafodex - 4 letter names are often weaker?
GSC: Torchic vs. gorgie - i am forever in torchic's debt for his rby uu help in uusd
Bo3: pdt vs. Lily - i just beat pdt in a ladder game 10 minutes ago lily is strong

Camphrier Town Ladies (5 ) vs. ( 5) Moomoo Farm Mysterious Sisters

SS: freezai vs. Highways - youtuber with 100000 fans vs highways? root for the underdog. i hope highways is doing well post hs, their friendship was very cute
SS: Raptor vs. beatiful - i like raptor a lot
SS: Moutemoute vs. sage - sage is a generational talent, moute is 42k however
SM: ramolost vs. avarice - my best friend vs not my best friend, who do you think i'm bolding
ORAS: Accel vs. Spl4sh - spl4sh is in pia but accel is in pia and watched me stream
BW: snaga vs. dingbat - dingbat still here?
DPP: Thiago Nunes vs. Heysup - heysup still here?
ADV: Roseybear vs. osgoode - there are no good bears in adv but osgoode is goode as his username proves
GSC: Estarossa vs. HSA - putting extra pressure on esta to win because he didn't reply to me when he said he'd bo3 me in classic tiers
Bo3: Adaam vs. mncmt - adaam is god, mncmt has no vowels

Safari Zone Smashers (8)
vs. ( 2) Mikan Island Monsters

SS: dunoks vs. Indigo Plateau - dunoks has impressed me more than IP over the past few months
SS: 64 Squares vs. KSt3ve - i like chess references but ksteve wins if he brings darm or registeel
SS: DonSalvatore vs. Jeza.p - both gotten far in masters, ds is impressive though
SM: Gondra vs. Leo - 3 letter name vs tour player
ORAS: Pak vs. Ark - if you predict pak and he wins nobody cares, if you predict the upset nobody cares still but i can talk about it at least
BW: Bushtush vs. Eternal Spirit - ES called me a shithead or something once when i was in a UULT tournament game (i won that tournament), bushtush pretends to be mean but is actually nice
DPP: Void vs. Pearl - idk much about void but annoyed at pearl and others for insisting about cancelling gen7uu quagsire vote and not bothering to reply at all for the revote
ADV: Shiba vs. bruno - Shiba is nicer, bruno was a villain in the pokemon manga I think
GSC: Inder vs. Garay oak - idk much about either player but 1 word names > 2 word names
Bo3: robjr vs. Star - i do look up to rob, i look up to see stars but i live in an area with light pollution

DREW'S FIRE TOP 10 MU'S [Week 2]
(opinion based, not objective & I know so little about old gens)

Yeah so this is 11 again but it's pretty tough to get down to 10 without just being uncultured and knocking off an oldgen because I don't care. Let's get started:

SS: ProDigeZz vs. Lyss - I am unironically a big fan of Lyss. As a player especially in current gen they don't need any support and showed an abundance of skill in a really close game with meru last week. ProD is another great cg player cleanly winning last week. I'd say that this is the second best SS game of the weak and give edge to Lyss.

BW: Amukamara vs. Finchinator - This is a classic instance of two tournament players who could really play anything with success who have historically played BW. Finch comes out of the shadow realm for UUPL every year but Liam is the more consistent player of the tier and so they have my edge.

ADV: Plas vs. Hyogafodex - I know fuck all about ADV but these are two of the more expensive players and Hyoga's team gave Shiba a seizure last week so this seems like something to add. Siri, pick a number between 1 and 2.

SS: Moutemoute vs. sage - Sage hasn't done a lot of losing... in anything... across tiers even... like not a lot at all. I'm going to perhaps cautiously predict a near undefeated christo type run here for sage this tour. Moute is another one of the better cg players of the pool so they aren't doomed for defeat. It'll be a good game but sage should win.

GSC: Estarossa vs. HSA - The Show vs the better of the GSC players in the pool every year. Cherryb0ng can drone on about this so I'm just going to say Esta wins for moral support.

Bo3: Adaam vs. mncmt - The theme of last week seemed to be everyone clowning mncmt for being bad and then they went on not only to 2-0 Rob but to win the week. Mncmt used counter and handed out L's like Oprah hands out cars. Adaam is one of the friendliest of the high status players and subsequently is very good. I say this goes to three and kinda want to see mncmt win again.

SS: Meru vs. Punny - Best SS game of the week without question. This one is a flip of a coin and goes to the better prep. Both of these players remain among the best of the pool so it's anyones game.

SM: odr vs. Xiri - Xiri has good tours and bad tours like any player but consistently plays SM and plays it well. I wasn't expecting odr to SM this tour but has the experience to make this match tight. Although I reckon Xiri wins.

ADV: fatty vs. A Hero's Destiny - You'd think that AHD in ADV is a free win. You'd think AHD plays ORAS and SM, there's no way they could play ADV well and win games. You've successfully thought wrong. Fatty is easily the best of the pool but AHD is personally the player I'd choose for an upset because they're truly saucy enough to win here, with ease. That being said Fatty is hard to beat in this tier.

SS: DonSalvatore vs. Jeza.p - Two smaller fish, but fish who have gone far in Masters and had victories and fantastic series vs very big names. I put this as the 3rd best SS game of the week which may be a little controversial but I'm excited. Jeza.pushinp wins.

ORAS: Pak vs. Ark - Two old men with three letter names lead by the most veteran of all managers. In a world... justice... where's rachel?! WHERE IS SHE?!?! Yeah I don't know, this is a cool matchup. Pak is top of the pool coming off of a loss. Ark is good. Should be interesting.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

We're back again with another UUPL X coverage vid, many thanks to Adaam, Indigo Plateau, LNumbers, KM, pdt, and Wanka for joining up. Enjoy the vid!

Cinnabar Arcade Stars (4) vs. (6) Iki Town Idols

SS: ez vs. Specs (already happened good job specs)
ORAS: Killintime vs. Bouff (close one)
BW: Amukamara vs. Finchinator (best bw uu player hello, awards never lie)
Bo3: pdt vs. Lily (call bias)

Camphrier Town Ladies (5) vs. (5) Moomoo Farm Mysterious Sisters

SS: Moutemoute vs. Sage
ORAS: Accel vs. Spl4sh (call bias where wtf)
Bo3: Adaam vs. mncmt (adaam never knew how to use his mic)

Friend Safari Pokemon Trainers (6) vs. (4) Snowpoint Temple Commanders

ORAS: Chaitanya vs. Scalescale (bot buff)

Safari Zone Smashers (5) vs. (5) Mikan Island Monsters

SS: dunoks vs. Indigo Plateau (call bias + eyes buff)
SS: DonSalvatore vs. Jeza.p (cool name buff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back