UU Simple Questions Thread

Nah, tangrowth is terrible on sun offense. Even with a chlorophyll boost its still really damn slow. I'd go with stuff like chandelure, darmanitan, entei, etc. maybe a prankster weather setter like sableye (I've used it before, not even half bad)
Sableye is pretty obvious as one of the only priority Sunny Day users (whimsicott really shouldnt use it). Abuser wise, darm and chandy stand out as the best wallbreakers. victreebel as well. It has access to Weatherball (150bp fire move), Power Whip, Sludge Bomb and Sleep Powder. Max speed gives it 524 which is just past scarf ape, but itd be easier to run chandy instead.

Another asunny day setter could be Mega Doom in theory..

Rain offence can be effective, but you need to have a very well-built team to bust through a lot of its checks. This tier is jam-packed with stuff that can easily beat or shut down rain teams (thinking Blissey, Suicune, Toxicroak, etc.) so you'd need to run a team capable of breaking all of these checks while still providing yourself an opportunity to win.

Personally, I think running Sun offence might be more effective, as Fire-type STAB is still very spammable in this metagame, and having Chlorophyll users to beat down Suicune and company make it an untapped threat.
I guess I'll have to try Sun Offense at some point. However, Superpower Torn-I and Mega Amphy break a lot of common rain answers including the ones you listed. Thanks for answering my question.

There is no Blastoise thread in the UU forums so I'm asking this question here. Would running max speed on Blastoise be worthwhile? Max speed Blastoise has enough speed to outspeed neutral base 90s.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There is no Blastoise thread in the UU forums so I'm asking this question here. Would running max speed on Blastoise be worthwhile? Max speed Blastoise has enough speed to outspeed neutral base 90s.
The most I would personally put is enough for 243 speed which does 3 things:
1) outspeed and survives Honchkrow sucker punch
2) outspeed 242 creepers
3) outspeed all base 115s after sticky web support.

Further, when running this much speed, water spout is a FUN move to use.

What would be good Pokemon to pair up with SD Virizion? I am planning on testing Virizion on a new team I have.
Probably something like Mega-Amp.

Mega-amp can give Virizion a slow volt-switch in. Mega-Amp also beats a lot of would be counters, such as Crobat and Chesnaught, with the combination of Volt Switch and Dragon Pulse. It also allows allows Virizion to not be so easily revenged by the likes of Scarfed Darm etc

The only issue is making sure Mega-amp can get the mega off.

I know he's not the best Pokemon, but any ideas on what to use in a defensive core with specially defensive Cradily? This is the set I've been using:
Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
I've been trying physically defensive moltres (sounds weird but having will-o-wisp and solid bulk catch a lot of people off-guard) but so far have had mixed results due to his horrible stealth rock weakness.

I know he's not the best Pokemon, but any ideas on what to use in a defensive core with specially defensive Cradily?
Well generally if you're trying to build a defensive core, you want your Pokemon to cover each others' weaknesses. So you probably want a physically defensive fighting resist since Cradily is weak to fighting and has poor physical bulk, and maybe some other Pokemon that can take advantage of Cradily being able to deal with threats like Blastoise and etc.

Why are Drizzle and Drought still banned in tiers after OU even after the famous weather nerf?
Drought and Drizzle were banned because they were deemed to be overpowered. Both are up for a possible re-test after several other re-tests are done.

Here's some more info: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-uu-council-tiering-system-info-bl-retest-record.3502698/

Why are Drizzle and Drought still banned in tiers after OU even after the famous weather nerf?
Drizzle and Drought completely flipped the meta on its head when we were in Beta Stage. 5-8 Turns is still more than enough time to sweep a team pretty easily. A typical XY UU Beta Drizzle team consisted of Politoed/Keldeo/Kyurem-B/Torn-T/Swift Swim Abuser 1/Swift Swim (or Rain abuser, think Thunder, Hurricanes, etc..) Abuser 2.

If you didn't several counters or the opposing weather, you were at a significant disadvantage, even if that disadvantage was only 5-8 turns. It was a pain to be in that beta stage, but the tier is almost entirely balanced now. They could retest Drizzle/Drought in the future, but the power level of so many abusers would force the same situations requiring you to use several counters, or opposing weather. Trust me on this one, weather wars seem fun, but they completely overcentralize the meta, if not completely breaking it in half.

But, Zygarde should be coming soon on the retest! That should be fun! :-)

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Drizzle and Drought completely flipped the meta on its head when we were in Beta Stage. 5-8 Turns is still more than enough time to sweep a team pretty easily. A typical XY UU Beta Drizzle team consisted of Politoed/Keldeo/Kyurem-B/Torn-T/Swift Swim Abuser 1/Swift Swim (or Rain abuser, think Thunder, Hurricanes, etc..) Abuser 2.

If you didn't several counters or the opposing weather, you were at a significant disadvantage, even if that disadvantage was only 5-8 turns. It was a pain to be in that beta stage, but the tier is almost entirely balanced now. They could retest Drizzle/Drought in the future, but the power level of so many abusers would force the same situations requiring you to use several counters, or opposing weather. Trust me on this one, weather wars seem fun, but they completely overcentralize the meta, if not completely breaking it in half.

But, Zygarde should be coming soon on the retest! That should be fun! :-)
Wow that seems like a really threatening team, especially given that keldeo cube and torn are all gone from the tier, lol

drizzle and drought might not be overpowered in the traditional sense, the problem and the hesitation has more to do with the fact that it's two completely different playstyles that need to be adapted to that would limit teambuilding a fair amount. it just adds a lot more of variables in the tier. current sun and rain teams are already like this, just less effective, which means they very rarely see play.

Wow that seems like a really threatening team, especially given that keldeo cube and torn are all gone from the tier, lol

drizzle and drought might not be overpowered in the traditional sense, the problem and the hesitation has more to do with the fact that it's two completely different playstyles that need to be adapted to that would limit teambuilding a fair amount. it just adds a lot more of variables in the tier. current sun and rain teams are already like this, just less effective, which means they very rarely see play.
I mentioned XY UU Beta......

I used to run a Offensive Defog Moxie Honchkrow (Brave Bird, Sucker Punch, Defog, Roost like this). 2 months ago I found it illegal on PS, and with a bit of Bulbapedia it was actually illegal in the first place. I'm looking for a good substitute, and so far Flygon, RIP Togekiss, and Crobat have been decent. One thing about Flygon and Crobat though is that they have an Alakazam weakness (Dazzling Gleam Alakazam for Flygon and Mega Alakazam in Crobat's case), that stacks with the rest of my team (not the one in the replay though). I've considered Scarfing both of them, but scarf Defog isn't exactly ideal. What are some different sets for them, or even other mons suitable for the job?

Last edited:

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
I used to run a Offensive Defog Moxie Honchkrow (Brave Bird, Sucker Punch, Defog, Roost like this). 2 months ago I found it illegal on PS, and with a bit of Bulbapedia it was actually illegal in the first place. I'm looking for a good substitute, and so far Flygon, RIP Togekiss, and Crobat have been decent. One thing about Flygon and Crobat though is that they have an Alakazam weakness (Dazzling Gleam Alakazam for Flygon and Mega Alakazam in Crobat's case), that stacks with the rest of my team (not the one in the replay though). I've considered Scarfing both of them, but scarf Defog isn't exactly ideal. What are some different sets for them, or even other mons suitable for the job?
I guess you could try Mega Aerodactyl as it is faster than Alakazam and can OHKO it with Stone Edge/Crunch/Aerial Ace/Aqua Tail actually any move lmao

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aqua Tail vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 252-297 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Empoleon can defog has well but and can take a focus blast if spdef i guess altho you dont want to take it.

Spdef Gligar is a very underrated but very good defogger:

252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 96-114 (28.8 - 34.2%) -- 2% chance to 3HKO

Mega Aerodactyl, Empoleon, Gligar
Only Mega Aero can provide the offensive presence and speed to deter Zam/Megazam from getting a free switch-in on the predicted Defog. Versus LO Zam with Psyshock, Dazzling Gleam, Focus Blast, and Hidden Power Ice, Gligar and Alakazam 2HKO each other but the latter is faster. With Empoleon, it would be a battle of hit or miss as Hydro Pump is the only option (Scald fails to OHKO). If everything hits, Zam still wins.

Simply switching out to a scarfer seems OK, but Hydreigon is killed instantly on the switch. Letting the defogger die is fine as long as the enemy hazard setter is dead, but for the most part of the match, I'm essentially spinblocked until Zam dies.

Mega Aerodactyl with Pursuit looks awesome, but that simply means I throw out Mega Ampharos and build a new team instead.

CM Mega Zam is a whole different problem, I'm not really sure how to deal with it at the moment. Specially Defensive Mega Ampharos is 2HKOd at +1/+1 and can't even fight back.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
Only Mega Aero can provide the offensive presence and speed to deter Zam/Megazam from getting a free switch-in on the predicted Defog. Versus LO Zam with Psyshock, Dazzling Gleam, Focus Blast, and Hidden Power Ice, Gligar and Alakazam 2HKO each other but the latter is faster. With Empoleon, it would be a battle of hit or miss as Hydro Pump is the only option (Scald fails to OHKO). If everything hits, Zam still wins.

Simply switching out to a scarfer seems OK, but Hydreigon is killed instantly on the switch. Letting the defogger die is fine as long as the enemy hazard setter is dead, but for the most part of the match, I'm essentially spinblocked until Zam dies.

Mega Aerodactyl with Pursuit looks awesome, but that simply means I throw out Mega Ampharos and build a new team instead.

CM Mega Zam is a whole different problem, I'm not really sure how to deal with it at the moment. Specially Defensive Mega Ampharos is 2HKOd at +1/+1 and can't even fight back.
wtf are you talking about,,, first of all, Alakazam doesnt run HP ice, thats awful, and Alakazite is banned so dont bring up megazam lol

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
Isn't Alakazite currently being tested? Also, if something works, then why is it bad?
If you're talking about HP ice, it doesn't have any use besides hitting Gligar. Other coverage moves like Shadow Ball Dazzling Gleam Focus Blast Energy Ball are much more useful.

I'm leaning on the opinions I've seen so far saying Alakazite should stay. IDK why HP Ice; it seems like the safest move to use when the enemy has multiple Zam counters: U-Turn teams featuring Hydreigon and Crobat for example (not the best example).

I'm not exactly sure what Shadow Ball is supposed to hit nowadays. RIP Victini, other Zams, Azelf? Jirachi and Chandelure are frequently using Choice Scarf, while Metagross has Bullet Punch and survives the OHKO from Shadow Ball. The best target I can think of is Starmie. Granted, HP Ice doesn't hit them either, but none of the other options work anyway.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
shadow ball hits jirachi and the odd metagross/bronzong, as well as celebi, starmie, and opposing zammer.

the ideal megazam moveset atm imo is: psychic / dazzling gleam / protect / shadow ball. taunt and calm mind are the next best options in the protect slot if you're more concerned about stall than offense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)