UU Warstory, the Best I've Written

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Before diving straight forward into the warstory, I would like to give some background. To be completely honest, when it comes to actual experience in battle I’d have to call it menial at best. I played for a few weeks on and off like months back, (at the time where I wrote my archived warstory) and started battling more aggressively again for the last month or so. Before which I focused a lot more on breeding.

When it comes to UU, it’s always been a metagame I had a lot of interest in, but I always wanted to wait for it actually “exist,” that is be more firmly established before delving in. Recently though, I’ve realized that won’t happen until more people start playing it. So I decided to pick it up. This is a UU warstory, and while I think it is good (because while my battling might be bad, my writing is something I have confidence in), my inexperience at UU in particular will probably be showing through.

This battle is against Astrohawke, who I’m sure many of the UU battlers know because he is really good. Better than me by a long shot. That being said this is pokemon, and worse players can beat more skilled players. Does not happen frequently, but it happens, and smart play can go a long ways to make up for a lack of experience. I believe this to have been a very good battle.

My Team:

Astrohawke’s Team:

The reason I am going out of my way to post sprites for both teams is because I want non-UU playing readers to get a better feel for the pokemon in UU and in this battle in particular. People are visual after all. With that, let the battle begin.

Like always, I will be removing recurrent parts of the log after they are first revealed.

One more thing: I HATE SCREWY COLORS!!! Seriously people they hurt the eyes. >.>

Rules: Evasion Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Timed Battle
Astrohawke sent out Venomoth (lvl 100 Venomoth ?).
Fujihara sent out Luxray (lvl 100 Luxray ?).
Luxray's intimidate cut Venomoth's attack!

The battle starts off with Luxray versus Venomoth. I always start the battle off with Luxray, as intimidate is simply invaluable on a lead pokemon. When two leads are drawn, it’s the one moment in pokemon most like rock-paper-scizzors, where either side is liable to be forced into a treat on luck alone. If one is forced to retreat, it is so much better for the retreat to be after your ability has already activated and helped your strategy move forward. Moreover, pokemon who force Luxray out are usually doing it with earthquake, allowing nice switches to Scyther or Swellow.

In this case, Venomoth came out, and really doesn’t mind taking intimidate. Then again, Luxray does not mind taking venomoth either. Mine is equipped with Thunderwave and Lightscreen, so it is obvious that 1 on 1, I know I would beat Venomoth. There is no threat here.

Astrohawke switched in Meganium (lvl 100 Meganium ?).
Luxray used Thunder Wave.
Meganium is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Astrohawke and I have battled before, and obviously he remembers my Luxray strategy, quickly switching to Meg with her aromatherapy. Inversely, I don’t remember much about Astrow’s team at this point, embarrassing to say. In any case, I don’t like to make assumptions based on previous battles where possible since the opponent could easily have changed his team and movesets since then. In any case, he’s going to aromatherapy so I decide to take the turn to set up light screen. In any case, the last thing I want to do is switch in a one of my flying type sweepers into a potential status move.

---
Luxray used Light Screen.
A barrier was formed!
Meganium used Leech Seed.
Luxray was seeded!
Luxray's health was sapped by leech seed!
Luxray lost 12% of its health.
Meganium regained health!

Luxray: 88%

Luxray does not mind getting hit by leech seed for a turn, and seeing as meg hasn’t taken any damage yet, this turn does not bother me at all. I am now confident that a) Meg has got her set up game going, so I’m unlikely to see a status move (if it had stun spore, she would go to that first) and b) my pokemon have little to fear in the way of straight out damage.
---
Fujihara switched in Swellow (lvl 100 Swellow ?).
Meganium is paralysed! It can't move!
Swellow was badly poisoned!

My paralysis strategy is paying off nicely, and astro pays for not going to aromatherapy right away. Swellow is in, with Toxic Orb activated so I know it can absorb status for the rest of the early half of the battle. From here I am going to U-Turn, a move that can both hurt Meg a lot and allow me to scout improve my momentum even more.

For those wondering why Toxic Orb, it does 6% less damage than burn orb on the 1st turn. This may be disadvantageous if one stays in for a long period, but it works very well with U-Turn, as switching out will reset the poison damage each time.
---
Astrohawke switched in Relicanth (lvl 100 Relicanth ?).
Swellow used U-turn.
Relicanth lost 16% of its health.
Fujihara switched in Luxray (lvl 100 Luxray ?).
Luxray's intimidate cut Relicanth's attack!
Luxray's leftovers restored its health a little!
Luxray restored 6% of its health.
Relicanth's leftovers restored its health a little!
Relicanth restored 6% of its health.

Relicanth: 90%
Luxray: 94%

Note: From here out, Luxray and Relicanth’s Leftovers will be removed from the log.

I’m impressed U-Turn did 16% damage to Relicanth. In any case, I am improving my momentum here more and more. Relicanth is intimidated, and faces the scare of STAB electric attacks. It has to switch out, so I will get another free turn to attack here.
---
Luxray used Hidden Power.
Meganium lost 21% of its health.
Meganium's leftovers restored its health a little!
Meganium restored 6% of its health.

Meganium: 85%
Luxray: 100%

Note: Meganium’s Leftovers will be removed from here out.

At this point, I am starting to realize what a problem meganium poses with its aromatherapy. While Luxray’s Intimidate+Support game is certainly pushing the pressure and building momentum, as long as Meg can sit with its fat ass on the field, we will not be getting much leeway here. The way I’ve built Lux up, he’s incredibly flexible and can react to a number of situations, but the offensive moves I’ve chosen, Crunch + Hidden Power (Fighting in this battle, but Ground works aruguably better) are meant to hit specific targets rather than break through neutral walls. In other words, Meg will regain the momentum before Lux can do any real damage to it. Astro knows this too, which is why he brought meg back in.

I have to take the initiative here and go for a harder hit. While Lux has great offensive stats that scare the opponent (particularly with ice fang in this case) Astro now knows I can’t hurt him. I have to take the initiative, and do so confidently thinking he will now take the chance to heal meg’s paralysis.
---
Fujihara switched in Nidoking (lvl 100 Nidoking ?).

Meganium: 91%

Luxray’s early thunderwave is obviously paying me back more and more, and I managed to bring Nidoking in safely—not that Nidoking is afraid of meg, but it’s nice not to be seeded on the switch in. From here, I am going to ice beam. Ice beam is Nidoking’s strongest attack that does not face enemy immunities. It also hits Meg very well. In addition I know ice beam often catches nice hits in the early game when people expect physical nidoking.
---
Astrohawke switched in Venomoth (lvl 100 Venomoth ?).
Nidoking used Ice Beam.
Venomoth lost 59% of its health.
Nidoking lost 10% of its health.
Nidoking's light screen wore off!

Note: Nidoking’s Life Orb Damage will be removed from here out.

Venomoth: 41%
Nidoking: 90%

Not the greatest time for light screen to take off, but Nidoking is still smiling smugly at managing to shred off a nice chunk of Venomoth’s health. This is how an all-offensive team should work—members like Luxray scaring enemies with the threat of huge offenses while instead messing with them to build up momentum for real heavy hitters like Nidoking. My offensive game is working smoothly, and here’s another free switch, as likely Venomoth will be going to sleep powder.

---
Venomoth used Sleep Powder.
Venomoth's attack missed!
Swellow is hurt by poison!
Swellow lost 6% of its health.

Swellow: 94%

Swellow is in, and I have another free attack. In the early game, when you have an opportunity to attack with a pokemon like swellow, you should pick 1 of 2 routes:

a) Play a conservative support move (in Swellow’s case U-Turn) to deal with whatever switches in.
b) Smack them as hard as you can with your most generically powerful move possible.

The second of these strategies is what I had just done with Nidoking’s ice beam, and it paid off well. In the early game, the opposing team is largely unknown and healthy, so even as you build momentum you are unlikely to make a really big hit. Executing 1 of these 2 strategies is the best way you make sure you get some profit out of the momentum you build. I decide to go with the second strategy again, and attack with Swellow’s Façade.
---
Swellow used Facade.
It's not very effective...
Relicanth lost 22% of its health.
Swellow is hurt by poison!
Swellow lost 12% of its health.

Relicanth: 74%
Swellow: 82%

And here is where my inexperience is starting to show itself. Swellow did some respectable damage to relicanth, but not enough to really threaten it. It’s still really early in the game, and I would have been much better off playing the more conservative U-Turn.
---
Relicanth used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

At this point, my heart sank a bit, and I am really starting to feel my lack of experience and Astrohawke’s more developed skill kicking me in the rear. Stealth Rock is really bad news for me, as half my team (scyther) is weak to it, and it will be a serious issue from here out.

This greatly due to my inexperience, and thus misconception of Relicanth as a physical sweeper. I’ve never had one set up SR on me before, and always thought of it as head-smashing its way through UU. Its earlier use of leftovers should have tipped me off otherwise, but again lack of knowledge of the potential danger of a support set threw my game off and cost me.

Usually, I rely on the huge offensive threat of my pokemon and smart, aggressive play to keep SR off the field, which is why I don’t rely on a spinner. This strategy works well, and would have continued to work if I had U-Turned with swellow and brought in another pokemon to threaten or kill Relicanth. Nidoking would have been the perfect candidate, with Earthquake, Hidden Power Grass and Ice Beam ready to tear the enemy walls up.

I made the mistake of giving in to my inexperienced lack of patience, and Facading mostly because I was blood-thirsty to finish Venomoth off. It cost me in allowing SR to be set up, which pretty much brings Astro right back into the game despite all the momentum (and damage)I’ve built up until now.
---
Astrohawke switched in Hypno (lvl 100 Hypno ?).
Luxray used Hidden Power.
Hypno lost 7% of its health.
Hypno's leftovers restored its health a little!
Hypno restored 6% of its health.

Note: Hypno’s leftovers will be removed from here out.

Hypno: 99%

Astrohawke switches Hypno in to absorb the hidden power. I’m guessing he thinks I’m a special threat, and thus opted to bring in Hypno to fight me. I’m really not afraid of this though, because Luxray v. Hypno = Luxray’s win. 120 base attack people. I mean seriously. Luxray does what an offensive pokemon does best—attack.
---
Hypno used Seismic Toss.
Luxray lost 28% of its health.
Luxray used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Hypno lost 50% of its health.

Hypno: 55%
Luxray: 78%

And Luxray sheers off a nice 50% damage. Pretty good damage to the best special wall in UU for having only 50 ATK evs on a +sA 252sA pokemon. This is the power of having a 120 base offensive stat, which people seem to forget about Luxray just because of thunderfang’s terrible base power. Hey, a Heracross’ base attack stat in UU is scary no matter how limited your move pool is, and not to be disrespected. Why the opponent has switched a special wall into such a powerful atk pokemon, hell if I know but I’m pretty happy about it.
---
Hypno used Protect.
Hypno protected itself!
Luxray used Crunch.
Hypno protected itself!
Hypno's leftovers restored its health a little!

Hypno: 61%
Luxray: 84%

Hypno’s defenses are not to be disrespected either of course. Luxray can’t 2hko, and while this was a definite misplay on Astro’s part, it is a misplay that won’t cost him too much (no where near as much as my allowing SR will cost me). Hypno protects to pick up leftovers recover, while I crunch simply to keep the pressure on. Frankly though, I could care less about this turn though, seeing as I know I can’t 2hko, and I am happy to pick up my own leftovers recovery.

---
Luxray used Crunch.
Meganium lost 15% of its health.

Meganium: 82%
Luxray: 90%

It was wonderful seeing Hypno switch in, only to be forced back out again by the same pokemon. On another note, I now know Luxray deals more damage to meganium with hidden power than with crunch.

---
Pointed stones dug into Nidoking.
Nidoking lost 6% of its health.

Nidoking: 84%

That paralysis is really paying off for me. :D

As a result, I once again have Nidoking back in play, and ready to finish Meganium off with ice beam— or will I? I know that in time, SR is going to bite me back, but in the mean time it basically acted as a null turn on the opposing side, which allowed me to gain back some more momentum. This momentum transferred to Luxray and tore off a nice 40% from Hypno, who was then forced out allowing the momentum to flow even more. That momentum is now at its very pinnacle, flowing through nidoking’s veins and making it glow like a super saiyan . . .

. . . I can’t let such momentum be wasted by playing the same move I played earlier.
---
Astrohawke switched in Lanturn (lvl 100 Lanturn ?).
Nidoking used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Lanturn lost 100% of its health.
Astrohawke's Lanturn fainted.

Lanturn: >.<
Nidoking: 74%

6 – 5 me

And bam, Lanturn goes down, falling to critical STAB earthquake (not that the crit was needed of course). This is the power of an offensive team. Just like the momentum erupted into a nice strike on venomoth, Nidoking’s showed his might again as the heavy batter of my early-mid game, by taking the first kill of the match. <3 Nidoking.

Admittedly, this is partly due to my credit in “predicting well,” but mostly it was thanks to Nidoking’s power and the built up momentum given to it by its team mates. IE, I credit the kill 80% to my team and Nidoking, and 20% to myself for realizing, “Ah duh, I probably should not ice beam again.” And picking Nidoking’s second most generally-effective move.
---

When in doubt, switch to Luxray. That’s my motto. All I know is this thing is NOT going to sleep powder again, so swellow is NOT an option, especially with SR. We see SR is already hampering my movements.

Luxray's intimidate cut Venomoth's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Luxray.
Luxray lost 12% of its health.
Venomoth used Psychic.
Luxray lost 31% of its health.

Luxray: 53%

Luxray takes the hit well enough, and all I know at this point is that I got to try to rebuild the momentum somehow. I also notice, only half-way though, that Venomoth is not specs’d, which I figured though at this point due to it carrying sleep powder. I go to thunderwave as my most generic situation move.
---
Astrohawke switched in Hitmonlee (lvl 100 Hitmonlee ?).
Luxray used Thunder Wave.
Luxray's leftovers restored its health a little!

. . . not good. At this point though, there’s not much I can do, and letting Luxray take the incoming close-combat in order to weaken hitmonlee is my best option. Besides, the early game is obviously over, and Lux’s use is just about up. Good job this battle Luxray.
---
Hitmonlee used Close Combat.
Luxray lost 59% of its health.
Fujihara's Luxray fainted.
Hitmonlee's defence was lowered.
Hitmonlee's special defence was lowered.

Luxray: Xo

5-5

As a pokemon goes down though, one gets a free switch in, which I can now start taking advantage of. Well, best as I can with SR screwing my ass.

---
Pointed stones dug into Nidoking.
Nidoking lost 6% of its health.
Nidoking used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Meganium lost 69% of its health.

Nidoking: 58%
Meganium: 19%

Even Nidoking is starting to feel the pressure, taking 16% everytime it switches in and attacks. People who say SR is bad, are wrong. Playing ultra offensive to keep it off the field works, but only if you don’t misplay it like I did.

In any case, I’m still in the game, and once again I go with “strategy 2” of an unknown situation where I’m forcing a switch. With Lanturn taken out, likely the bulky tank of the opposing team, I feel especially justified in Ice Beaming on the weakened Hitmonlee, and it pays off for me again.

---
Nidoking used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Meganium lost 25% of its health.
Astrohawke's Meganium fainted.

Meg: xP
Nidoking: 48%

5 – 4 me

Meg came in to absorb earthquake I guess, but it’s toast. All game it’s been coming in and out, but it’s done now. Good job? Bad job? You’ll have to Astro for your opinion there.

Meg did alright imo by forcing me to make risky switches to nidoking or swellow because its bulk was too much for luxray. If it had stun spored those switch ins, that would have worked out well—but as it is, meg failed to heal itself of paralysis quickly, and ended up allowing me to build momentum time and again and deal massive damage to its teammates. Though, if it hadn’t been there they would have been the target of getting screwed by Luxray’s crippling support/offensive game. Hard to say. Well, the least it can do is become a sacrifice for them, giving them a nice switchin to nidoking.
---
Fujihara switched in Lapras (lvl 100 Lapras ?).
Pointed stones dug into Lapras.
Lapras lost 25% of its health.
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Lapras lost 32% of its health.
Lapras's leftovers restored its health a little!
Lapras restored 6% of its health.

Note: Lapras’ leftovers will be removed from here out.

Lapras: 49%

. . . OUCH!!! That SR is really starting to pay off now, as is venomoth’s offensive. Still, it’s clear here that Lapras at least has the power to finish it off, so I attack.

---
Lapras used Ice Beam.
Relicanth lost 26% of its health.
---
Lapras used Hidden Power.
Hypno lost 12% of its health.

Relicanth: 54%
Hypno: 55%
Lapras: 61%

And in 2 turns, show off my noobishness with making completely predictable attacks that end up giving the opponent back the momentum. All I can say is, Lapras’ ability to do anything to his remaining defenses is looking bad.

---
Hypno used Wish.
Hypno made a wish!
Lapras used Hydro Pump.
Hypno lost 30% of its health.

Hypno: 31%
Lapras: 67%

Ok, obviously Lapras is not breaking through hypno, but there is no point in switching on the wish. I have to at least be smart enough to get the timing of moves right and switch in on the protect.
---
Pointed stones dug into Swellow.
Swellow lost 25% of its health.
Hypno used Protect.
Hypno protected itself!
The wish came true!
Hypno restored 50% of its health.

Hypno: 87%
Swellow: 51%

Swellow: Ow! Wtf? How the hell did you let SR get up stupid?
Me: I’m sorry . . . >.>

Swellow is not happy to be switching in, but at least I have a chance here to attack. Swellow will be forcing Hypno out, which will give me some chance to take back the flow of battle.
---
Swellow used U-turn.
Relicanth lost 15% of its health.

Nidoking: 42%
Relicanth: 45%

Was not about to make the same mistake as before. Besides, Hypno is weak to U-turn. The important thing is that I predicted correctly, and was able to bring Nidoking back in again, knowing he can kill all the remaining enemies with Earthquake.

---
Nidoking used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Relicanth lost 51% of its health.
Astrohawke's Relicanth fainted.

Relicanth: xO (finally)
Nidoking: 32%

5-3 Me

I’m happy to see relicanth down, but not happy knowing that Nidoking’s days are now numbered.
---
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Nidoking lost 33% of its health.
Fujihara's Nidoking fainted.

4-3 Me

Knowing damn well that all my remaining members are screwed by Venomoth, I can only let Nidoking be wiped out in return.

However, this is where it ends. Good game Astro, but Swellow outspeeds all your remaining pokemon and wipes them out with stabbed Façade and Bravebird. While you may be able to stall out swellow’s death, it’ll be at least take down 2 of your pokemon, leaving it at 3-1, and eventually gg.
---
Pointed stones dug into Swellow.
Swellow lost 25% of its health.
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Swellow lost 26% of its health.
Fujihara's Swellow fainted.

Swellow: >.<

3-3

It was only then, when it was made plain obvious to me, that it hit me. Venomoth was scarfed. Thinking back, I knew it, somewhere in my head, I knew it. The lack of leftovers recovery, the way-to-weak hits it did against luxray and the like, even the fact that it carried sleep powder and switched out immediately the one time it used it. It all fit together, and I should have known—but I did not. This came down to 2 failings on my part:

1) First a lack of experience, either looking at venomoth analysis/sets, or facing them in battle.
2) Secondly, a failing on my part to listen to my instincts and own subconscious in order to put the facts together. In other words, my letting my logic alone pull so much throw as to not pay attention to my instinct.

I had 2 methods of knowing Venomoth was scarfed, and I failed at both—and it eventually cost me my swellow, unfortunate because swellow would have been able to handle both hitmonlee and hypno with ease.

Suddenly I am starting to wonder if the rest of my team can actually take a scarf venomoth down at all, and I find that I really don’t know.
---
Fujihara switched in Aggron (lvl 100 Aggron ?).
Pointed stones dug into Aggron.
Aggron lost 6% of its health.
Aggron used Thunder Wave.
Aggron's leftovers restored its health a little!
Aggron restored 6% of its health.

Note: Aggron’s leftovers will be removed from here out.

Aggron: 100%

You know you’re in a bad situation when you are bringing aggron in against the STAB special attack of one of the best special attackers in the game. As fucked as I was, Astrohawke shined here, showing off his superior experience (and skill really) again, by completely reading my thunderwave and bringing in Hitmonlee. Yeah, we’re FUCKED.
---
Fujihara switched in Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
Pointed stones dug into Scyther.
Scyther lost 50% of its health.
Scyther lost 24% of its health.
Scyther's leftovers restored its health a little!
Scyther restored 6% of its health.

Note: Scyther’s leftovers will be removed from here on.

Scyther: 32%

And finally, SR is showing just how badly it hurts my team. In retrospect here, sacrificing Lapras would probably be a better decision, but my head was not exactly screwed on right. Rather, I was not planning my strategy around the barriers SR put around me, getting me into a worse situation.

---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Hypno lost 50% of its health.

Of course bringing scyther in means something is going down, and astrohawke sacrifices the member that is of least use. Of course, it is a sacrifice well played.
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Hypno lost 44% of its health.
Astrohawke's Hypno fainted.

3-2 Me

Hypno goes down, but it’s not much of a concession. At this point, I quietly realize it’s over. Scyther is the only thing that can take Hitmonlee down, and it is going to fall right now to venomoth. Moreover, the other two members are going to die to CC. I can switch out, but SR will kill scyther as it comes in next time.

---
Fujihara switched in Lapras (lvl 100 Lapras ?).
Pointed stones dug into Lapras.
Lapras lost 25% of its health.
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Lapras lost 33% of its health.
---
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Lapras lost 16% of its health.
Fujihara's Lapras fainted.

2-2

Lapras falls to Venomoth’s Bug Buzz, but the conclusion is really inevitable.
---
Fujihara switched in Aggron (lvl 100 Aggron ?).
Pointed stones dug into Aggron.
Aggron lost 6% of its health.
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Aggron lost 56% of its health.
Aggron's special defence was lowered.
Aggron used Substitute.
Aggron lost 25% of its health.
Aggron made a substitute!
---
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
The substitute took damage for Aggron!
Aggron's substitute faded!
Aggron used Stone Edge.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Venomoth lost 41% of its health.
Astrohawke's Venomoth fainted.

2 – 1 me

I play through the game, hoping that astro will make the mistake of switching venomoth out so I can substitute and that try and focus punch hitmonlee, but of course that doesn’t happen. Astro coolly sacrifices Venomoth to ensure that won’t happen.
---
It's super effective!
Aggron lost 25% of its health.
Fujihara's Aggron fainted.
---
Fujihara switched in Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
Pointed stones dug into Scyther.
Scyther lost 44% of its health.
Fujihara's Scyther fainted.

Scyther races in, claws outstretched, ready to strike the game-finishing blow, and Hitmonlee freezes in terror, as scyther’s claws inch closer and closer but the floating rocks rip it to pieces, and it falls to hitmonlee’s feat.

Astrohawke wins!
Astrohawke: gg
Fujihara: gg

Good game astrohawke! I did my best, and believe I played well, but you deserved to win that one. I made the critical mistakes that cost me it. I only wish Scyther could have taken that one last turn to finish you off. If it had been anime, and I had been Ash, it just might have happened. :P

My Game

Overall, I played very well this game.

In the early game, I trusted Luxray and its power to set up bad situations for my opponent and build the momentum with its crippling abilities, and the threat of attacks off of 120/95 base stats. People underestimate the defensive value of high offenses—that powerful offenses, just having them potentially, forces switches which is itself a powerful defense. Luxray played very well to this role, and repeatedly created situations in my favor, situations that struck 3 big hits for me—Nidoking’s 60% hit on Venomoth, Nidoking’s Lanturn kill, and Nidoking’s Meganium kill. Nidoking, nidoking, nidoking. Nidoking stole the show really, by really putting the pounding in the early game (in part thanks to my limited prediction), and even taking Relicanth later on. However, it can’t be underlined enough that while Nidoking made the show, Luxray set the stage. Beautifully. Early game is all about feeling out the opponent, which Luxray accomplished to great effect. edit: for a tiny bit of promotion-- which is why I bred this Luxray: Quiet/Intimidate/HP Ground Luxray! xD

Early game ended with Meganium going down (finally) and SR going up. While Facading blindly with swellow is actually a pretty conservative strategy, not U-turning to scout more in the early game cost me the mistake that ended up finishing me off. This underlines the importance of feeling-it-out in the early game, and just a tiny bit of non-conservatism ended up costing me the whole thing.

Mid game, my pokemon did their best to fight past the SR, and did fairly well. They kept their offensive game going—Luxray managed to screw with Hypno a little bit more (and ultimately letting Nidoking kill Meganium) before being taken down by Hitmonlee. From there, the momentum pretty much changed sides. Bad decisions, particularly with Lapras use hampered me more, and became clear that with Luxray out of the game (my one real innovation really), my opponent’s greater experience began to show through. Fighting under SR, my team just couldn’t handle venomoth, a sign shown when it took down swellow and forced Aggron, who NEVER comes in against special attackers, to be its opponent. Mid-game pretty much ended when swellow fell, and I realized it was over.

The end game was pretty much clean up. I fought desperately, and took Astro to his very last pokemon (even setting a melo-dramatic stage with scyther wishing he could get that 1 more attack in), but to no avail. I regret letting SR get up, because while I probably would have won this game even more handly if I hadn’t, it’s so clear that scyther could have really ripped things up (probably finish it), had it not been screwed by SR.

edit: More show of inexperience! I did not even know Meg doesn't learn stun spore until AFTER writing this!! lol

Astrohawke’s Game

As expected, I can’t say as much about my opponent’s game as much as my own. What I can say can be summed up like this:

-I was impressed by your ability to hold up to my constant offensive, you really kept your cool even under the heat.

-I was not too impressed with the switches and some of the decisions you made that let me gain more momentum. Bringing Hypno into a pokemon with physical offenses as impressive as Luxray was odd, and there was some poor prediction in the turns where Nidoking basically cleaned your clock with minimal prediction on my part, no offense.

-I was completely humbled by your experience. I think that in part let your game stay cool, and tight while mine started to fall apart as I lost momentum. It was also obvious that you had a lot easier time reading through my sets outside of Luxray, while lack of my knowledge regarding yours (first support Relicanth and later Scarf Venomoth) ended up costing me the game. Props dude, I got to get more battles in.

Overall, I was very happy to get in such a great battle against an opponent who is, really, much better than myself. I mean, it is pokemon, and I have beaten better players before, and lost to players worse than myself. In all that you laugh, you cry, but when you have a really intense battle like this against an opponent like Astro, it makes all of it worth while.

Good Game!

I've recently been getting into UU so when I saw this warstory I thought "cool I can look at some UU battles to help improve my game". Then I realized it was one of my own battles >.< Anyway, I'll try to give some of my thoughts at various stages of the game. If you want you can add them to the warstory where appropriate.

All I can say is that you completely outplayed me at the start there. I made some really bad moves I admit. I remembered playing you before only because of that luxray and it was actually the only thing I remember from your team because I mistakenly switched in my steelix and got OHKOed by a crit hp fighting. So rest assured my memory is as bad as yours. Incidently, my knowledge or lack thereof of your luxray was what prompted me to make the move of switching hypno into it. I had seen HP fighting and twave the last time we played and now I had seen light screen so I stupidly assumed it was some kind of special variant using support moves and bulky EVs with the last move being some sort of STAB attack probably thunderbolt. Looking back, I probably should have just slept it at the start. I usually don't like to sleep pokemon that can threaten me at the start if I can help it though. Firstly because I always miss for some reason so I prefer to sleep something I know will switch to minimize the risk of having venomoth lose a chunk of its HP. Secondly, you never know when you need a scarf sleeper later on to shut down something that's somehow set up 6 calm minds on you. It's never happened before but I'd imagine it would suck if something else is already asleep. I try to sleep the biggest threats to me if I can. But for this game...well it failed to sleep anything so probably taking that 75% chance on turn one could have saved me a lot of trouble (meganium being paralyzed for the most part).

I have to agree that letting me set up the rocks was probably your biggest mistake considering you have scyther and swellow. It really restricts the number of times they can just come in especially with relicanth there to promptly force them out. A bulky relicanth was my replacement for steelix after our first battle. I hate steelix but I needed a scyther and swellow counter and relicanth has proved itself very useful with its defenses and decent damage with head smash. 100 HP 130 DEF is nothing to be laughed at when EVed defensively. Most physical attacks bounce off it just as much as steelix. I suppose we both had our own innovative pokemon with bulky luxray and bulky relicanth lol.

Nidoking was probably the biggest threat to me from the start as I have no real way of dealing with it. But considering the mixed set 2HKOs everything in UU, that's not a surprise. My usual method is to bring meganium in on an anything not called ice beam, then synthesis stall it as it kills itself with life orb. But considering I was paralyzed I really couldn't risk it and it was the best switch I had for luxray. Failing that, I tried to switch around to make it take LO damage but obviously that didn't work out so well with the loss of lanturn. So that cost me a lot. Nidoking was definitely your MVP. Although to be fair, nidoking came in so many times on leech seed/energy ball but I got fully paralyzed 3 times. I was really annoyed and you could probably tell (ty for cutting out the log lol). Meganium could definitely have been more useful that game. Like you said, it would probably have been better to aromatherapy the only turn it actually got a chance to move lol.

As a side note, my hitmonlee was scarfed as well. Two scarfers because I'm really paranoid about scyther sweeping me if relicanth misses its head smash on it. They also clean up so many teams late game it's not funny. This team has been doing very well actually despite my lack of prediction skills (as demonstrated). My teams are generally solid enough to pull me through with minimal prediction so I'm thankful for that. Obviously it's changed slightly now because wish hypno no longer exists :(

Anyway that was definitely one of the best matches I've played in UU against a very skilled battler. GG ChouToshio.

I really felt like I was inside your head, that I was actually you, and even though sometimes that can be a bad thing ;D, this time it wasn't. I loved the writing

I really enjoyed this warstory and I always like a good UU battle.

A great, engaging warstory Chou! Made even better by the fact that your opponent provided a good, substantive comment. Thanks.

I so <3 UU.

A little heads up, Meganium's only status options are Toxic and Grasswhistle, and neither are used much. You were pretty safe bringing in Swellow before the Toxic Orb activated (the worst he could do is Hidden Power Ice, which more people ought to use).

This was a pretty nice warstory. It kept my attention the whole way through, and you wrote it very well. Good job both of you for the battle, and good job with the warstory.

Very nice warstory, I enjoyed reading the paragraphs in which you thought the situation through, instead of writing the standard, 'o noes! grachomp dieded!', that's in most warstories. Good battle on both sides, and I always like reading UU warstories. :D

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm not going to say anything outside of "I loved it, 5 stars."
Does anything else really need to be said?

Perhaps; excellent job.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great warstory. It did both things that a warstory should do.
1) Entertain.
2) teach the reader something.
Many Warstories today seemed to the the first one very well, but the way that you broke down each move made the latter very well executed.

Also, just saying that the are 2 points in the warstory that you did and forgot the /. Just thought I would let you know.

Wow, what an incredible warstory! Such insightful commentary that had me hooked from start to finish. Definitely up there with the very best.

Also nice to see that Luxray in action, although I still think you'd be better off with Discharge in the long run for Electric STAB. At least then you could have done some decent damage to that Hitmonlee.

Once again, congrats on the amazing warstory. I look forward to battling you sometime in the near future.

Been quite a while since I've seen a well written story with a good battle. (Usually one or the other).

Deadlocks usually are what make these kind of matches tense with your only option being to pile on pressure. Luck really makes or breaks everything and too many underestimate that.

You're a really good writer Chou, you grabbed my attention well...and I kinda feel like I learned a bit from reading it, so 5 stars congrats

Really great story and UU too. You both played really well, despite your self-critique.

You might want to consider investing in a spinner with so many SR weak pokes. While UU lacks spinners overall, Hitmontop,Blastoise,Claydol, and Sandslash are acceptable choices. And antispinners are unlikely due to the poor defenses of Froslass and Rotom and lol Sableye.

While UU lacks spinners overall, Hitmontop,Blastoise,Claydol, and Sandslash are acceptable choices. And antispinners are unlikely due to the poor defenses of Froslass and Rotom and lol Sableye.
I wouldn't say that UU spinners are uncommon. In addition to the four you mentioned, Torkoal and Cloyster work well. Dirfblim is fairly sturdy and is a good choice for anti-spinning.

I always like reading Chou's Warstories and I especially like those with UUs or Ubers. The commentary was very nice as being a newb at UU, I actually learnt a bit about the pace and style of the metagame.

Also, props for Warstorying a battle you lost and for playing up your opponent as a skilled battler. I really hate those Warstories where it's more of a gloating log than anything else.

5 Stars!

EDIT: There WAS a rule that stated that you were only allowed to Warstory lost battles but that eventually went away along with Warstory approval. It's a win-lose sort of thing, cos there have been a lot of great battles where the writer has been the winner.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I always like reading Chou's Warstories and I especially like those with UUs or Ubers. The commentary was very nice as being a newb at UU, I actually learnt a bit about the pace and style of the metagame.

Also, props for Warstorying a battle you lost and for playing up your opponent as a skilled battler. I really hate those Warstories where it's more of a gloating log than anything else.

5 Stars!
Wasn't there a rule that you were only supposed to Warstory battles you lost?

The excesive use of the word momentum killed the warstory for me, special in that one paragraph where you say it 4 times repeatedly, but aside from that, it was an awesome battle to read about.

That was really enjoyable and well written! I'm just getting into UU myself so I can sympathize with not knowing what to expect sometimes.

It's nice to see an UU warstory, too.

Excellent warstory.

Also, you missed a / in your bolding:
And here is where my inexperience is starting to show itself. Swellow did some respectable damage to relicanth, but not enough to really threaten it. It’s still really early in the game, and I would have been much better off playing the more conservative U-Turn.
---
Relicanth used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)