UUber Moves (Won by Wings of Night)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweep couldnt play this weekend so he is giving me the win

talking about the meta a bit, Boomburst Heliolisk has proved to be really dumb even with recover walls being everywhere lol
Slack Off Swampert is one of the most reliable walls in this thing
Metagross is probably the best setup sweeper
and I still haven't seen Sableye coming thru tbh

wish I could see Chesnaught more, Rapid Spin is a really cool move in this mon

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Got a little more to add b/c i actually like this meta :]

Specs lisk > LO lisk, and for good reason. In my battle vs Pearl, I used LO lisk and found out that I was unable to break p2 with Boomburst, because it was still unable to break 50%. With specs, it at least had a chance to break 50, depending on if ppl ran max defense or not.

I feel like Tornadus is a dark horse wallbreaker in this meta. With Aeroblast, Heat Wave, and Focus Blast/Superpower, along with a speed tier that edges out shit like Espeon and HELIOLISK, players oughta . Also, I'd be surprised if someone ran a Bulk Up + Taunt Tornadus just to fuck with me, because I really like to use Sableye lol.

I have not really seen much of Rapid Spin Chester or Jellicent, probably because Heliolisk and Mega Aerodactyl are literally everywhere. As nice as these two spinners are with instant recovery, there just isn't much breathing room for them right now.

CB Darmanitan has a slight chance of OHKOing Suicune with Volt Tackle without hazards, holy fucking shit. And yes, volt tackle gets the sheer force boost. As per usual, Tailwind support makes Darmanitan a monstrous wallbreaker; too bad Swampert still fully walls it.

Topsy Turvy is definitely a huge upgrade, although it has given Sableye 4mss, to a mild extent. The reason why I haven't been seeing shit like Geomancy Florges or Mega Blastoise as often as I would have thought is because Sableye is just that great of a deterrent. However, with Topsy Turvy, either Will o Wisp or Taunt needs to be sacrificed, and for the time being, I think wisp has a slight edge over taunt.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately have to call for activity win as there had been no response from my opponent after I VM'd him.

Anyhow since everyone else is pitching in more about the metagame I guess I'll give more thoughts. In a tier where everything seems broken, only one Pokemon stands above the rest. Haxorus. Literally fuck that thing, it's actually extremely hard to account for since it plays like how Crawdaunt does in the sense it's an amazingly strong wallbreaker with access to priority and SD to boost attack if need be but it's got a lot more Speed to boast and +2 priority is way better than +1. Haxorus also gets past a lot of potential decent checks due to ESpeed being rly strong and, as previously mentioned, +2 prio. Haxorus having Mold Breaker also prevents Bronzong from being close to an actual counter, and same goes slightly for Mega Aggron. Honestly, this thing just dumpsters everything. Best way of dealing with this is just trying to give it as little space as possible, maybe some lures here and there and always have some kind of Pokemon that's faster + resists ESpeed, but yeah this thing is tough.

Next thing on my list, Swampert. Arguably the best wall in this metagame since it's actually the only decent bulky Water-type now due to every Fire-type being able to use Electric coverage and already nuking hard with STAB as is. Due to the abundance of Rock setters in the tier Swampert can still have Roar in its arsenal or opt for Toxic among other things as it has quite a few options with bulky Mega also being available at its disposal. If you're running some form of balance or stall, Swampert should really be high on your list of teammates, counters Entei / Darmanitan which can be really hard to prepare for here.

More on Sableye, while Topsy Turvy does give it something to soft check a lot of setup sweepers, the problem I find with it is there are a LOT of cases Sableye can just be a bit too scared to directly switch-in on these Pokemon, giving them the opportunity to at least gain a potential kill whenever the opportunity arises. I find it can be better to just traditionally check Pokemon with actual checks / counters as opposed to relying on Sableye due to its tendency to not want to come in directly and rely on the opponent actually setting up to do anything.

I previously talked a bit about Crawdaunt, well it turns out it's not the best since no one wants to run a Pokemon that's going to need some kind of amazing setup opportunity due to just how frail it actually is. Honestly, it wouldn't be that bad if it had no stops after setting up, but it turns out it has quite a few such as the omnipresent Haxorus, Whimsicott, Sableye, Chesnaught, etc.

A lot of people have talked about Heliolisk, me included previously, and it's extremely good due to how strong Normal-type's neutral coverage is. Electric as secondary STAB means you can just pivot out on anything that takes a Boomburst anyhow. The only fault with Heliolisk is that people are going to prioritize priority so it's going to get smacked by that but also Aerodactyl being prevalent can honestly prevent it from doing anything potentially.

i just wanna add that i love how offensive this meta is while at the same time stall can still put in a lot of work. i guess balance suffers but otherwise this is a pretty fun and decently balanced meta :D

Wanted to post some thought on the meta, especially stuff that hasn't been used/mentioned much.
It's kinda weird to think of at first, but this makes it a pretty good check against dragons, especially with Haxorus running around everywhere. A set like Ice Beam/Volt Switch/Rocks/STAB move sounds pretty good, and with shuca berry it can pretty reliably beat Haxorus, though it won't ohko it naturally so if neither of you are using life orb you need to find some other source of residual damage to finish it off. Also beats mence, which is pretty popular, and is good against maero. It can't switch in very well to these, but they won't run through your team very easily if you have cobalion. A CM set probably also has potential, though more so against offensive teams, as it's fairly weak even after a boost.

As a mega, this thing can just deal an absolutely stupid amount of damage, and is pretty tough to wall. Sadly, it dies to +2 espeed if rocks are up or Haxorus has Life Orb, so that's one dragon it can't beat. Boomburst into explosion knocks out almost any mon in the game, it's worth noting. Stuff like registeel/bronzong won't die outright but take 60-70%. Ice shard for mence and freeze dry for swampert make it very potent.

Darmanitan with this sounds pretty cool, but Mienshao is a lot stronger in my opinion. Salamence, Gligar, and Weezing are the only really good switch ins, even bulky stuff like swampert is cleanly 2hko'd by LO HJK, and with regenerator it can get back the massive HP lost by killing things like suicune or alomomola. Scarf is also pretty damn strong, though a bit easier to switch into it outspeeds the entire unboosted meta and can ohko most offensive mons. With volt tackle, reckless isn't necessary to ohko maero either, meaning scarf regen can be used for longevity.

Don't wanna write too much, so I'll leave it at that for specifics. Most mons with psycho boost are insanely powerful, especially Gardevoir as it can 2hko literally anything aside from max sp.def Meloetta.

Some other stuff that looks cool but I haven't really seen: Icicle Crash Kyurem, Seed Flare Abomasnow, Topsy-Turvy Alomomola, DD Krookodile, Gunk Shot Nidoking, and Quiver Dance Yanmega.

A lot of mons such as Gligar or Sableye got great utility moves in encore and topsy, but have a very hard time fitting them into sets that were already full of utility moves. Mence also suffers from this, having to either give up fire blast for steels, draco for consistent power/against dragons, or one of defog/roost in order to fit in Hurricane. This makes teambuilding a lot harder, as you can't just use the standard best 4 moves anymore. I like this a lot, it'd be nice if there were a better way to test though (feel free to message me in the uu room to play or for teams I have a bunch).

As far as the worst moves go, I think SD Sharpedo and Crobat are traps, standard set is better in most cases though they can still work. Seed flare Gourgiest is useless, wish it got something like spore or sleep powder. Infernape could have gotten something like sucker punch or volt switch but he kinda already has everything so it's hard to say. Quiver or shell smash coulda been cool but probably too broken. Iron tail doublade is meh, dynamic punch would have been neat to have instead. Most things that got coil/CM are bad as well. Also, I wish Donphan got Thousand Arrows (The 90 power ground move that hits and grounds flying types), it's still pretty bad even with slack off. Not being able to use Medicham, Shedninja, or Dugtrio properly sucks too. Duggy in particular would have been great for heliolisk.

P.S: You can use Granbull as a Haxorus counter, since no one runs pjab anymore it switches into anything and beats Haxorus pretty handily. It's very consistent due to getting access to Slack Off as well.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 99-117 (25.7 - 30.4%) -- 1.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 221-261 (57.5 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 248-294 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wanted to post some thought on the meta, especially stuff that hasn't been used/mentioned much.
It's kinda weird to think of at first, but this makes it a pretty good check against dragons, especially with Haxorus running around everywhere. A set like Ice Beam/Volt Switch/Rocks/STAB move sounds pretty good, and with shuca berry it can pretty reliably beat Haxorus, though it won't ohko it naturally so if neither of you are using life orb you need to find some other source of residual damage to finish it off. Also beats mence, which is pretty popular, and is good against maero. It can't switch in very well to these, but they won't run through your team very easily if you have cobalion. A CM set probably also has potential, though more so against offensive teams, as it's fairly weak even after a boost.

As a mega, this thing can just deal an absolutely stupid amount of damage, and is pretty tough to wall. Sadly, it dies to +2 espeed if rocks are up or Haxorus has Life Orb, so that's one dragon it can't beat. Boomburst into explosion knocks out almost any mon in the game, it's worth noting. Stuff like registeel/bronzong won't die outright but take 60-70%. Ice shard for mence and freeze dry for swampert make it very potent.

Darmanitan with this sounds pretty cool, but Mienshao is a lot stronger in my opinion. Salamence, Gligar, and Weezing are the only really good switch ins, even bulky stuff like swampert is cleanly 2hko'd by LO HJK, and with regenerator it can get back the massive HP lost by killing things like suicune or alomomola. Scarf is also pretty damn strong, though a bit easier to switch into it outspeeds the entire unboosted meta and can ohko most offensive mons. With volt tackle, reckless isn't necessary to ohko maero either, meaning scarf regen can be used for longevity.

Don't wanna write too much, so I'll leave it at that for specifics. Most mons with psycho boost are insanely powerful, especially Gardevoir as it can 2hko literally anything aside from max sp.def Meloetta.

Some other stuff that looks cool but I haven't really seen: Icicle Crash Kyurem, Seed Flare Abomasnow, Topsy-Turvy Alomomola, DD Krookodile, Gunk Shot Nidoking, and Quiver Dance Yanmega.

A lot of mons such as Gligar or Sableye got great utility moves in encore and topsy, but have a very hard time fitting them into sets that were already full of utility moves. Mence also suffers from this, having to either give up fire blast for steels, draco for consistent power/against dragons, or one of defog/roost in order to fit in Hurricane. This makes teambuilding a lot harder, as you can't just use the standard best 4 moves anymore. I like this a lot, it'd be nice if there were a better way to test though (feel free to message me in the uu room to play or for teams I have a bunch).

As far as the worst moves go, I think SD Sharpedo and Crobat are traps, standard set is better in most cases though they can still work. Seed flare Gourgiest is useless, wish it got something like spore or sleep powder. Infernape could have gotten something like sucker punch or volt switch but he kinda already has everything so it's hard to say. Quiver or shell smash coulda been cool but probably too broken. Iron tail doublade is meh, dynamic punch would have been neat to have instead. Most things that got coil/CM are bad as well. Also, I wish Donphan got Thousand Arrows (The 90 power ground move that hits and grounds flying types), it's still pretty bad even with slack off. Not being able to use Medicham, Shedninja, or Dugtrio properly sucks too. Duggy in particular would have been great for heliolisk.

P.S: You can use Granbull as a Haxorus counter, since no one runs pjab anymore it switches into anything and beats Haxorus pretty handily. It's very consistent due to getting access to Slack Off as well.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 99-117 (25.7 - 30.4%) -- 1.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 221-261 (57.5 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 248-294 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Yeah you can use Granbull to counter Haxorus, but then your Fairy-type is prone to about every other Dragon (Salamence, Hydreigon) due to really low SpD, which honestly sucks a lot. It's, probably, why we haven't seen much of any Granbull throughout the tour thus far, although I guess it could be good when paired with Blissey or something.

I guess claiming activity. Was online all Sunday/Monday. Opponent said hed let me know when he was on but never did. But if we can get the battle done still, will edit this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)