UU Uxie

Surgeon

venice bitch
is a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Uxie is a fairly one-dimensional Pokemon, yet it finds itself a place in the UU metagame as a reliable Trick Room setter thanks to its ability to compress roles, its access to many different utility moves like Stealth Rock and Memento that allow it to support its team in various ways, and its great bulk, which allows it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl as well as super effective hits such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse and Krookodile and Alolan Muk's Knock Off. However, Uxie is almost entirely restricted to Trick Room teams due to being outclassed both offensively and defensively by other Psychic-types, such as Latias, Bronzong, and Necrozma, as it's unable to perform any other roles as effectively as them. Uxie is also very passive, as it can't do much damage to most Pokemon, meaning it's dead weight in most scenarios outside of performing its role. Substitute users like Nidoking and Kyurem, for example, can take advantage of it, as they're capable of blocking Memento. Furthermore, Uxie faces competition from other Trick Room setters such as Cresselia, which has access to Lunar Dance and reliable recovery, and Bronzong, which benefits from its Steel typing and has access to Explosion. They are usually better picks for a Trick Room setter, but this is only the case on Trick Room teams that are only using one dedicated setter.

[SET]
name: Trick Room Setter
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Memento / U-turn
move 4: Magic Coat / Psychic
item: Mental Herb / Colbur Berry
ability: Levitate
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room grants Uxie and its teammates a form of speed control and a way of punishing offensive teams by making slower Pokemon move before faster ones. Stealth Rock is a necessity on every team, punishing switches by damaging foes. Memento allows Uxie to sacrifice itself to gain momentum and open up opportunities for one of its teammates to safely come in and potentially set up or pressure the opposing team. U-turn is another way to keep up momentum without having to sacrifice Uxie. Magic Coat is used to bounce back Spikes and Toxic Spikes from Pokemon like Klefki and Nihilego as well as Taunt, which is especially useful if Uxie is not carrying Mental Herb. Psychic can be used instead of Magic Coat in the last slot, allowing Uxie to hit Pokemon like Infernape for super effective damage, decreasing its passivity. However, without Magic Coat, Uxie becomes powerless against the aforementioned Spikes and Toxic Spikes setters.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread and nature maximize Uxie's defensive capabilities, allowing it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl more easily. Additionally, a Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs make Uxie the fastest it can be under the effect of Trick Room. Levitate is Uxie's only ability and grants it a valuable Ground-type immunity. Mental Herb is used as a way to escape Taunt once. Colbur Berry is also an option, providing Uxie the ability to endure Dark-type attacks such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse and Mega Sharpedo's Crunch, which could otherwise prevent it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Uxie is generally used as a lead; if the opposing team has a Pokemon that could take advantage of it, such as a setup sweeper like Swords Dance Scizor, it's reasonable to choose not to lead with it as to not be put into a bad position from the start. Depending on the scenario, Uxie should try to set up Trick Room or Stealth Rock once it's brought out; it should prioritize setting up Stealth Rock first most of the time in order to preserve Trick Room turns. However, if faced against a foe such as Hydreigon or Choice Band Scizor that can 2HKO Uxie, Trick Room is the preferred play so that it can also set up Stealth Rock. Magic Coat should be used against Taunt users like Gliscor to prevent them from shutting down Uxie and to bounce back Spikes and Toxic Spikes from Pokemon like Klefki and Nihilego. It shouldn't be used to bounce back Stealth Rock, though, as Stealth Rock has more PP than Magic Coat, so Uxie will never prevent it from going up. Magic Coat also has less PP than Spikes and Toxic Spikes, but it's still beneficial to bounce those back to cripple the opposing team. Uxie doesn't usually provide much more utility after setting up Stealth Rock and Trick Room, so it's safe to use Memento to bring one of its teammates in safely in those situations. U-turn can be used similarly to Memento to bring one of Uxie's teammates in after Stealth Rock and Trick Room have been set. Be careful around Substitute users such as Chandelure and Kyurem, as once they're behind a Substitute, they're not affected by Memento and are only going to waste Trick Room turns.

Team Options
========

Uxie only fits on dedicated Trick Room teams, so slower Pokemon that can take advantage of and pressure the opposing team are mandatory partners. Slower setup sweepers that usually take advantage of the support Memento can provide like Swords Dance Crawdaunt and Alolan Marowak and wallbreakers such as Bewear, Mega Abomasnow, and Mega Camerupt are examples of such Pokemon. Other slower Pokemon that also benefit from the effect of Trick Room like Stakataka are also good teammates. Other Trick Room setters, such as Cresselia and the aforementioned Stakataka, are also valuable partners, as Uxie is often not capable of keeping up Trick Room by itself for an entire match. Cresselia is a particularly good teammate, as it can set up Trick Room on a lot of Pokemon, provide Lunar Dance support, and offer similar defensive utility, which Uxie and most of the teams it's found on would appreciate. Fairy-type Trick Room setters such as Aromatisse also pair well with Uxie, since they can check Dark-types like Hydreigon and Crawdaunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Uxie doesn't have many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Offensive sets are outclassed by Latias, and Pokemon like Bronzong and Necrozma are usually better options as defensive Psychic-type Stealth Rock setters. Red Card could be used over Mental Herb, as it's a way to keep up momentum by forcing out an opposing Pokemon that hits Uxie. It's also a way of cancelling U-turn and Volt Switch's switching effect, bringing out a random Pokemon instead. However, without Mental Herb, Uxie can be easily shut down by common Taunt users. Darkinium Z is an option when using Memento, as it allows Uxie to take less damage from Knock Off and fully heal one of its teammates while keeping up momentum. However, using it would mean that none of Uxie's teammates could run a Z-Move. Skill Swap could be used to remove Magic Bounce from Pokemon like Mega Absol, allowing Uxie to set up Stealth Rock against it. However, there's not room for it most of the time. Hidden Power Fire allows Uxie to 2HKO offensive variants of Scizor, but it's usually not worth using, as it doesn't offer any other additional utility and it fails to do any significant damage to bulkier Scizor sets. Toxic can be used to cripple Pokemon that might try to take advantage of Uxie's passivity, such as Swampert and Hippowdon, but it's hard to fit onto the set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Strong Wallbreakers**: Pokemon like Choice Specs Gengar and Chandelure could potentially OHKO Uxie and prevent it from setting up Trick Room and Stealth Rock. Other strong wallbreakers that are able to 2HKO it, such as Hydreigon and Primarina, are also threatening for the same reason.

**Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon like Swords Dance Scizor, Swords Dance Crawdaunt, and Calm Mind Suicune are able to take advantage of Uxie's passive nature and can set up on it with ease. Additionally, the Pokemon listed can also threaten most Trick Room teams due to either their access to priority or their ability to stall out Trick Room turns, which makes them especially threatening.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Mega Sharpedo are immune to Uxie's only attacking move and can threaten to 2HKO it with their super effective STAB moves, thus preventing it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock. Hydreigon can also potentially cause it to flinch with Dark Pulse.

**Taunt**: After it has used its Mental Herb, Uxie can be easily shut down by Taunt users like Gliscor and Krookodile.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
hey, amcheck here, feel free to wait for QC input before implementing anything.

Overview
- When talking about Uxie's ability to take hits, mention some super effective ones too, since that's what people generally lead with vs Trick Room teams expecting the Uxie lead. (204+ Atk Muk-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 174-206 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO and 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 232-274 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). It can set up Trick Room on the turn it gets hit, then either use Stealth Rock, Memento, or U-turn next.
- I wouldn't say that Uxie competes with Cresselia because on a lot of Trick Room teams they are used together, as often, one setter isn't enough. You could mention Reuniclus here due to its lower Speed and better offenses at the cost of bulk.

Set
- Your set says ivs: 0 instead of ivs: 0 Spe, which I assume is a mistake.
- Expand on your point about Stealth Rock, saying it punishes switches, which are common against Trick Room teams when trying to stall out turns, and allowing Uxie's offensive partners to get KOs more easily.
- I would talk about Magic Coat. Since Uxie is mainly used as a lead, Magic Coat allows it to block entry hazards from other common leads such as Gliscor and bounce them back, which is useful especially against offensive teams where Uxie is unlikely to be able to take two hits to set up both Trick Room and Stealth Rock.
- Mention Colbur Berry, allowing Uxie to curcumvent its main weakness (Dark-type moves are more comon than Ghost-type ones) and it also makes Knock Off less of an issue too, as it eats the Berry the first time and takes less damage due to lackig an item the next time. However, say that fast Taunt teads become a lot more of a problem.

Usage Tips
- Reorder the points so it talks about Uxie's value as a lead first, as it's the first thing in a match, before saying when to set up Trick Room.
- Specify setup sweepers when talking about Pokemon that take advantage of Uxie's passivity.
- U-turn is slashed on the set so mention when to use it and say it can be used similarly to Memento but allows Uxie to come back in and set up Trick Room, which is more useful against defensive teams that can stall out Trick Room turns.
- Add to the last point by saying that Psychic lacks power andkeeping momentum is generally preferred unless Psychic can hit something hard or super effectively.

Team Options
- Add Mega Camerupt to parners; it's a lot more common on Trick Room than Mega Abomasnow.
- When mentioning partners, elaborate on them a little even if it's just saying Belly Drum Azumarill, Swords Dance Crawdaunt etc and say what they can break past that Uxie cannot.
- When talking about Cresselia, mention its similar defensive utility and ability to set up Trick Room on a lot of the tier as well as providing Lunar Dance suuport.

Other Options
- I would mention Darkinium Z. Using it means that Uxie takes less from Knock Off (204+ Atk Muk-Alola Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 116-140 (32.7 - 39.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO vs 204+ Atk Muk-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 174-206 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO). I've also found Z-Memento useful especially vs bulker teams that I can pivot Uxie in and out of instead of using Memento turn 2. I would also mention its downsides: it stops offensive partners like Stakataka from using a Z-Move.

Checks and Counters
- Add Dark-types; Knock Off can be really annoying when running Mental Herb, and they're also immune to Uxie#s only attacking move, meaning that can take advantage of it pretty easily.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Echoing the statement from marthaa that Magic Coat should be an obligatory slash on this set. You can basically autolose to opposing hazards in the first 5 turns without being able to spam it to bounce them back and punish your opponent for trying to set them. Otherwise, something like tspikes nihilego can be a huge nuisance for you.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I'll also be going through marthaa's stuff. Anything that I hadn't mentioned to not be implemented from her check can be considered ok'd by me and has to be implemented into the analysis. Apologies if some of this overlaps with what you've already implemented 1Surgeon but it makes my work a lot easier if I just go through everything she's done.

Overview

- When talking about Uxie's ability to take hits, mention some super effective ones too, since that's what people generally lead with vs Trick Room teams expecting the Uxie lead. (204+ Atk Muk-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 174-206 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO and 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 232-274 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). It can set up Trick Room on the turn it gets hit, then either use Stealth Rock, Memento, or U-turn next.
  • The above is pretty good to implement in the analysis actually, it gives users a better idea of what they're able to set up TR against for the most part.
* Outside of Trick Room, Uxie is outclassed by other Psychic-types like Latias, Bronzong, and Necrozma, as it's unable to perform any other roles effectively.
* This is mostly due to its passivity, as it can't do much damage to most Pokemon, meaning its dead weight in most scenarios and is forced to sacrifice itself and use Memento to gain momentum.
  • While I'm quite sure these two are supposed to be connected, I don't feel like they make much sense when together, which makes me think they're not supposed to be connected lol. Irregardless, the first point should be reworded to "roles as effectively" because it's not like Uxie cant do it well, it's just outclassed. Now, onto the conundrum; if you're trying to explain why it cannot perform other roles as effectively, that's no need as you already said it's just outclassed. If the second point is explaining this, the latter part of it doesn't make much sense considering its overall passivity and Memento are two different exclusives, with the former talking about it overall as the Pokemon and the latter being only exclusive to this set, as Memento isn't going to be a complete staple on other sets. Otherwise, if you let me know what the second of the points I quoted above means I could probably suggest a decent type of rewording, but rn, it's clunky.
Trick Room Setter
  • Make Magic Coat the first slash on the fourth slot with Psychic after that.
  • Colbur Berry slashed after Mental Herb.
Moves
  • Be sure to talk about Magic Coat before Psychic.
Set Details
  • Be sure to mention Colbur Berry.
Team Options
  • This section is super barren. While this is not unexpected considering only TR mons would be here, since it is so small a lot more explanation and emphasis on certain Pokemon should be given priority after the general explanation of the type of Pokemon is given. marthaa's suggestions here definitely help.
  • I'd definitely separate just regular breakers like mixed Aboma, Mega Camel, and perhaps Bewear that aren't going to setup but instead just nuke, and setup sweepers like Crawdaunt and Alolan Marowak. The former doesnt care about Memento as much so they could probably be brought in without it a lot more easily to do their jobs. The latter really appreciates Memento.
1/3

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hi, am qc; better wait for a QC member to go over this

[Overview]
* Outside of Trick Room teams, Uxie is outclassed by other Psychic-types like Latias, Bronzong, and Necrozma, as it's unable to perform any other roles as effectively as them.
I would rephrase it to something like: "Uxie is mostly restricted to Trick Room teams, due to being outclassed both offensively and defensively by other Psychic-types, such as...".
* Uxie is also very passive, as it can't do much damage to most Pokemon, meaning its dead weight in most scenarios.
How is it passive? Describe how Substitute users can pretty much get a free Substitute on it due to how Substitute blocks Memento, and give examples.

[Set Comments]
Moves
* Magic Coat is used to bounce back entry hazards, that opposing Pokemon might try to set.
I do not entirely agree with this sentence because Stealth Rock has more PP than Magic Coat, which means the opponent most likely will get Stealth Rock up, despite the Magic Coat. However, describe how important Magic Coat is because it bounces back Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and most importantly, Taunt; especially if Uxie's item is Colbur Berry and not Mental Herb.

I would also mention Toxic here because it allows Uxie to catch the kinds of Swampert and Hippowdon that take advantage of Uxie's passivity to set up their own hazards, as Trick Room staples like Alolan Marowak and Stakataka somewhat struggle to beat them.

Set Details
* Mental Herb is used as a way to escape Taunt once.
Mental Herb can also be useful for Encore users that may prevent Uxie from doing its job properly, so I'd add that.

Usage Tips

I would elaborate on when to use Magic Coat and when not. You shouldn't use Magic Coat on Stealth Rock setters because Stealth Rock has more PP than Magic Coat and Uxie can just set up Stealth Rock itself. However, it can be used against Spikes and Toxic Spikes users, and most obviously - against Taunt users.

Team Options
* Uxie only fits on dedicated Trick Room teams. As such, slower Pokemon that can abuse and pressure the opposing team are mandatory partners. Slower setup sweepers that usually take advantage of the support Memento can provide, such as Swords Dance Crawdaunt and Alolan Marowak, and wallbreakers like Bewear, Mega Abomasnow, and Mega Camerupt are examples of such Pokemon. Other slower Pokemon that also benefit from the effect of Trick Room, like Stakataka, are also good teammates.
While Stakataka is pretty much one of its best teammates, Mega Camerupt is unranked in Viability Ranking. I would remove the Mega Camerupt mention and replace it with Stakataka. I would mention Dark-resists, such as Aromatisse (in sweepers) and Primarina (in wallbreakers) for obvious reasons.

[Strategy Comments]
Other Options

Skill Swap is a cool tech to bypass Magic Bounce users, such as Xatu and Mega Absol. Usually doesn't worth the moveslot, though because they aren't as common.

Dazzling Gleam helps against Hydreigon, which Trick Room staples, such as Crawdaunt and Alolan Marowak hate. This is very situational and inconsistent though.

Checks and Counters
**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Mega Sharpedo are immune to Uxie's only attacking move, and can threaten to OHKO or 2HKO it with their super effective STAB moves, thus preventing it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock.
Uxie is designed to avoid the OHKO from both, so I would just say that they 2HKO it. Also, it's worth mentioning that Hydreigon can flinch Uxie with Dark Pulse.

I would also mention Magic Bounce users, such as Mega Absol and Xatu. Despite not being as common, they pretty much shut down Uxie in most aspects, unless running Skill Swap.

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* Replace your Azumarill example in the first line.
* I'd use a different example of a Substitute user than Serperior, since Serperior would actually benefit from being hit with Uxie's Memento. Nidoking works as an example instead.
* Instead of mentioning that it suffers from competition with Bronzong, I'd focus on Cresselia, which is Uxie's main competitor. Be sure to specify that due to recovery, access to moves like Ice Beam and Moonblast, and especially access to Lunar Dance, Cresselia can often prove to be the more optimal pick. However, you should also note that this is only the case on Trick Room teams that are using only one dedicated setter.

Usage Tips
* Consider giving some examples of Spikes and Toxic Spikes setters when you talk about Magic Coat.

Team Options
* Kreme vetoed it but I'm still not sure that Mega Camerupt really needs to be mentioned in Team Options, as it's really pretty bad even on Trick Room builds. I'll talk to QC about what to do here, but in the meantime just keep the example. If I let you to know that it should be changed Reuniclus is a good replacement.

Other Options
* I'd consider mentioning Hidden Power Fire here as a way of getting some respectable damage on Scizor. Say that its main drawback is the lack of additional utility and the fact that only offensive Scizor sets are even 2HKOed.

Checks and Counters
* Change the Belly Drum Azumarill example to either Swords Dance Breloom or Nasty Plot Infernape, as this would maintain the accuracy of the following wording in the setup sweepers line regarding sweepers with priority.
* I feel like there are a few too many Hydreigon examples in this section, so I'd replace the Hydreigon example in the Taunt line with Krookodile.
* I'd go ahead and just remove the Magic Bounce section altogether. Mega Absol is barely viable anymore and Xatu was unranked recently.

Great work! When this is implemented give yourself 2/3. Sorry that it took so long for this to get checked!

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC here, this is pretty good overall, just a couple Trick Room specific tips / niches you missed.

Overview
Mention Hydreigon as another Dark-type it can take Super effective hits from, as Hydreigon has a great matchup with Trick Room and in general will be anti leading the Uxie. Would change "mostly" to "almost entirely", Uxie is severely outclassed by other Psychic types in any other role and should be worded strongly as such. I would also mention that Uxie has great role compression compared to its competition Cresselia and Bronzong, being the only one with access to Trick Room, Stealth Rock, and a Momentum move (Bronzong has Explosion but Memento/U-turn are far more useful.)

Moves
Mention examples of spike setters that might try and use Uxie as bait such as Klefki and Nihilego. Mention that Psychic opens up Uxie to be setup on by the aforementioned Klefki. I would move Toxic to other options, especially since you don't even list it on the set. It's really hard to justify on a Trick Room set when other moves have more direct benefit for your breakers.

Usage Tips
Consider mentioning that Uxie can give up free turns to Substitute users like Chandelure and Kyurem, and to make sure you have proper checks to deal with offensive threats behind a substitute, or write about possibly not leaving Uxie in to give these threats free setup.

Other Options
Add the aforementioned line about Toxic here.

Team Options
I would consider adding Uxie's synergy with Fairy-type trick room setters, mainly Aromatisse and Mega Audino. The fairy typing is crucial so that mons like Hydreigon and opposing Crawdaunt don't completely blow through Trick Room teams, and Aromatisse can try and sweep similar to Cofagrigus, while Mega Audino has Healing Wish comparable to Cresselia. While these mons are unranked, Trick Room is so niche of an archetype that they warrant mentiong due to them vastly improving the consistency of an inconsistent playstyle.

Nice job on this, implement for 3/3.

Surgeon

venice bitch
is a Contributor Alumnus
did. moved the role compression part to the first sentence bc it seemed less awkward.

ready for gp.

Red = deletion, (RC) = remove comma, Blue = addition, (AC) = add comma, Green = comment/explanation
[OVERVIEW]

Uxie is a fairly one-dimensional Pokemon. However, ,(AC) yet it finds itself a place in the UU metagame as a reliable Trick Room setter,(RC) thanks to its ability to compress roles, its access to many different utility moves,(RC) such as like Stealth Rock and Memento,(RC) that allow it to support its team in various ways, and its great bulk, which allows it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl, and even as well as super effective ones hits such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse or Krookodile's and Alolan Muk's Knock Off. (I opted to combine the first two sentences as it helped to create a better flow of ideas, especially since the introductory sentence starts off the entire analysis. I removed some commas as they were not needed, and removing them helps to improve overall readability as there's already a comma separated list, which, in tandem with the previous commas, created a lot of breaks in the sentence. )Additionally, Uxie is almost entirely restricted to Trick Room teams,(RC) due to being outclassed both offensively and defensively by other Psychic-types, such as Latias, Bronzong, and Necrozma, as it's unable to perform any other roles as effectively as them. Uxie is also very passive,(RC) as it can't do much damage to most Pokemon, meaning its it's dead weight in most scenarios. (You don't need a comma before "due" and "as" as the focus of both parts are the same. Also, you need the contraction form of its as "it is dead weight".) Substitute users, for example, like Nidoking and Kyurem can take advantage of it this as they're capable of blocking Memento. Furthermore, Uxie faces competition from other Trick Room setters such as Cresselia, which has access to Lunar Dance and reliable recovery, and Bronzong, which benefits from the Steel typing and has access to Explosion. They are usually better picks for a Trick Room setter, but this is only the case on Trick Room teams that are only using one dedicated setter.

[SET]
move 3: Memento / U-Turn

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room grants Uxie and its teammates a form of speed control and a way of punishing offensive teams by making slower Pokemon move before faster ones. Stealth Rock is a necessity on every team, punishing switches by damaging foes. Memento allows Uxie to gain momentum and open up opportunities for one of its teammates to safely come in and potentially set up or pressure the opposing team by sacrificing itself. Alternatively, U-Turn is another way to keep up momentum,(RC) without having to sacrifice Uxie. (You may want to state why Memento would be better than U-Turn here or vice-versa.) Magic Coat is used to bounce back Spikes and Toxic Spikes,(RC) that Pokemon like Klefki or Nihilego might try to set,(RC) or Taunt, which is especially useful is if Uxie is not carrying Mental Herb. Psychic can be used instead of Magic Coat in the last slot, allowing Uxie to hit Pokemon like Breloom and Infernape for super effective damage, decreasing its passivity. However, without Magic Coat, Uxie becomes powerless against the aforementioned Spikes and Toxic Spikes setters.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread and nature maximize Uxie's defensive capabilities, allowing it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl more easily. Additionally, a Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs make Uxie the fastest it can be under the effect of Trick Room. Levitate is Uxie's only ability,(RC) and grants it a valuable Ground-type immunity. Mental Herb is used as a way to escape Taunt once. Colbur Berry is also an option, providing Uxie the ability to endure Dark-type attacks, such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse or Mega Sharpedo's Crunch, which could prevent it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Uxie is generally used as a lead. However, if ; if the opposing team has a Pokemon that could take advantage of it, however,(AC) such as setup sweepers like Swords Dance Scizor, it's reasonable to choose not to lead with it,(RC) as to not be put into a bad position from the start. (I combined the two sentences here as the first one is very short, helping to make the writing not sound choppy.) Depending on the scenario, once it's brought out, Uxie should try to set up Trick Room or Stealth Rock once it's brought out; it should prioritize setting up Stealth Rock first most of the time,(RC) as that would preserve Trick Room turns, but . If the opposing Pokemon can 2HKO Uxie, like Choice Band Scizor or Hydreigon, however,(AC) Trick Room is the preferred play,(RC) so that it can also set up Stealth Rock. (I felt it's best to split up this sentence into two sentences as it's already connected with another sentence by a semicolon. The sentence was getting rather large and wordy, and that can negatively affect readability. Also, two subordinate clauses ("depending on the scenario" and "once it's brought out") should not follow each other, so I moved the second one to the end.) Magic Coat should be used against Taunt users like Gliscor,(RC) to prevent them from shutting down Uxie,(RC) and to bounce back Spikes or Toxic Spikes from Pokemon like Klefki and Nihilego. However, it It shouldn't be used to bounce back Stealth Rock though,(RC) as Stealth Rock has more PP than Magic Coat, so it will never prevent them from going up. ("However" has been used a lot in this paragraph, so I decided to change the wording here a bit to vary dialogue.) Uxie doesn't usually provide much more utility after setting up Stealth Rock and Trick Room, so it's safe to use Memento to bring one of its teammates in safely on those situations. U-Turn can be used similarly to Memento,(RC) and bring one of Uxie's teammates in after Stealth Rock and Trick Room have been set. Be careful around Substitute users such as Chandelure and Kyurem,(RC) as,(AC) once they're behind a Substitute, they're not affected by Memento and are only going to waste Trick Room turns. (The comma should be directly before a subordinate clause mid-sentence.) As such, they shouldn't be given an opportunity to set up, so making predictions accordingly is advised.

Team Options
========

Uxie only fits on dedicated Trick Room teams. As such, ,so slower Pokemon that can abuse and pressure the opposing team are mandatory partners. Slower setup sweepers that usually take advantage of the support Memento can provide, such as like Swords Dance Crawdaunt and Alolan Marowak,(RC) and wallbreakers like ,(AC) such as Bewear, Mega Abomasnow, and Mega Camerupt,(AC) are examples of such Pokemon. (Having the "such as" at the beginning mandates a comma, and having the comma be there when there's two separate sections of pokemon to talk about is rather confusing. I switched the location of the words to alleviate this.) Other slower Pokemon that also benefit from the effect of Trick Room,(RC) like Stakataka,(RC) are also good teammates. Other Trick Room setters, such as Cresselia and the aforementioned Stakataka, are also valuable partners,(RC) as Uxie is often not capable of keeping up Trick Room by itself for an entire match. Cresselia is a particularly good teammate as it can set up Trick Room on a lot of Pokemon,(RC) and also provide Lunar Dance support and similar defensive utility, which Uxie and most of the teams it's found at would appreciate. Fairy-type Trick Room setters such as Aromatisse also pair well with Uxie since they can check Dark-types like Hydreigon and Crawdaunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Uxie doesn't have many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Offensive sets are outclassed by Latias, and Pokemon like Bronzong and Necrozma are usually better options as defensive Psychic-type Stealth Rock setters. Red Card could be used over Mental Herb,(RC) as it's a way to keep up momentum by phasing out an opposing Pokemon that hits Uxie. It's ; it's also a way of cancelling U-Turn and Volt Switch's effect, bringing out a random Pokemon. (I decided to combine these two sentences together by a semicolon as the ideas are very similar and would benefit from being talked about in the same sentence.) However, without Mental Herb, Uxie can be easily shut down by common Taunt users. Darkinium Z is an option when using Memento,(RC) as it allows Uxie to take less damage from Knock Off and fully heal one of its teammates on top of keeping up momentum. However, ,(AC) but there is a large opportunity cost when using it since that would mean that none of Uxie's teammates could benefit from a Z-Move. Skill Swap could be used to remove Magic Bounce from Xatu and Mega Absol, allowing Uxie to set up Stealth Rock against them. However, ,(AC) although there's not room for it most of the time. (A lot of the sentences have a sentence beginning with "However," immediately after it, so I made these changes to vary up the dialogue.) Hidden Power Fire allows Uxie to 2HKO offensive variants of Scizor. However, it's usually not worth using as it doesn't offer any other additional utility and it fails to do any significant damage to bulkier Scizor sets. Toxic can also be used to cripple Pokemon that might try to take advantage of Uxie's passivity, such as Swampert and Hippowdon, but it's hard to fit onto the set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Strong Wallbreakers**: Pokemon like Choice Specs Gengar and Chandelure could potentially OHKO Uxie,(RC) and prevent it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock. Other strong wallbreakers that are able to 2HKO it, such as Hydreigon and Primarina, are also threatening for the same reason.

**Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon like Swords Dance Scizor, Breloom, and Calm Mind Suicune, are able to take advantage of Uxie's passive nature, and can set up on it with ease. Additionally, the Pokemon listed can also threaten most Trick Room teams due to access to priority or by stalling out Trick Room turns, which makes them especially threatening. Breloom can be threatened by Psychic, however.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Mega Sharpedo are immune to Uxie's only attacking move,(RC) and can threaten to 2HKO it with their super effective STAB moves, thus preventing it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock. Hydreigon can also potentially flinch it with Dark Pulse.

**Taunt**: After it has used its Mental Herb, Uxie can be easily shut down by Taunt users like Gliscor and Krookodile.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Surgeon

venice bitch
is a Contributor Alumnus
implemented most of it. kept the commas before 'as' tho bc im using it as a conjunction rather than an adverb so i don't think it's grammatically incorrect to put a comma before it. not entirely sure though, so ill just leave it for gp. thanks anyhow.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Uxie is a fairly one-dimensional Pokemon, yet it finds itself a place in the UU metagame as a reliable Trick Room setter thanks to its ability to compress roles, its access to many different utility moves like Stealth Rock and Memento that allow it to support its team in various ways, and its great bulk, which allows it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl as well as super effective hits such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse or and Krookodile and Alolan Muk's Knock Off. Additionally, Uxie is almost entirely restricted to Trick Room teams due to being outclassed both offensively and defensively by other Psychic-types, such as Latias, Bronzong, and Necrozma, as it's unable to perform any other roles as effectively as them. Uxie is also very passive, as it can't do much damage to most Pokemon, meaning it's dead weight in most scenarios outside of performing its role. Substitute users like Nidoking and Kyurem, for example, like Nidoking and Kyurem can take advantage of it, (AC) as they're capable of blocking Memento. Furthermore, Uxie faces competition from other Trick Room setters such as Cresselia, which has access to Lunar Dance and reliable recovery, and Bronzong, which benefits from the its Steel typing and has access to Explosion. They are usually better picks for a Trick Room setter, but this is only the case on Trick Room teams that are only using one dedicated setter.

[SET]
move 3: Memento / U-Turn U-turn

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room grants Uxie and its teammates a form of speed control and a way of punishing offensive teams by making slower Pokemon move before faster ones. Stealth Rock is a necessity on every team, punishing switches by damaging foes. Memento allows Uxie to sacrifice itself to gain momentum and open up opportunities for one of its teammates to safely come in and potentially set up or pressure the opposing team by sacrificing itself. Alternatively, U-Turn U-turn is another way to keep up momentum without having to sacrifice Uxie. Magic Coat is used to bounce back Spikes and Toxic Spikes that from Pokemon like Klefki or and Nihilego might try to set or as well as Taunt, which is especially useful if Uxie is not carrying Mental Herb. Psychic can be used instead of Magic Coat in the last slot, allowing Uxie to hit Pokemon like Infernape for super effective damage, decreasing its passivity. However, without Magic Coat, Uxie becomes powerless against the aforementioned Spikes and Toxic Spikes setters.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread and nature maximize Uxie's defensive capabilities, allowing it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl more easily. Additionally, a Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs make Uxie the fastest it can be under the effect of Trick Room. Levitate is Uxie's only ability and grants it a valuable Ground-type immunity. Mental Herb is used as a way to escape Taunt once. Colbur Berry is also an option, providing Uxie the ability to endure Dark-type attacks, such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse or and Mega Sharpedo's Crunch, which could otherwise prevent it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Uxie is generally used as a lead; if the opposing team has a Pokemon that could take advantage of it, such as a setup sweepers sweeper like Swords Dance Scizor, it's reasonable to choose not to lead with it, as to not be put into a bad position from the start. Depending on the scenario, (AC) Uxie should try to set up Trick Room or Stealth Rock once it's brought out; it should prioritize setting up Stealth Rock first most of the time, as that would preserve Trick Room turns. If the opposing Pokemon can 2HKO Uxie, however, like Choice Band Scizor or Hydreigon However, if faced against a foe such as Hydreigon or Choice Band Scizor that can 2HKO Uxie, Trick Room is the preferred play, (RC) so that it can also set up Stealth Rock. Magic Coat should be used against Taunt users like Gliscor to prevent them from shutting down Uxie and to bounce back Spikes or and Toxic Spikes from Pokemon like Klefki and Nihilego. It shouldn't be used to bounce back Stealth Rock though, as Stealth Rock has more PP than Magic Coat, so it will never prevent them from going up. (Worth noting that magic coat also has less PP than spikes and tspikes, but it's beneficial to have said hazards that wouldn't be set otherwise set on the opposing side of the field. Consider appending a clause or two to this sentence that states that Uxie can set stealth rock on its own, making bouncing back opposing stealth rock pretty pointless?) Uxie doesn't usually provide much more utility after setting up Stealth Rock and Trick Room, so it's safe to use Memento to bring one of its teammates in safely on in those situations. U-Turn U-turn can be used similarly to Memento and to bring one of Uxie's teammates in after Stealth Rock and Trick Room have been set. Be careful around Substitute users such as Chandelure and Kyurem, as once they're behind a Substitute, they're not affected by Memento and are only going to waste Trick Room turns. As such, they shouldn't be given an opportunity to set up, so making predictions accordingly is advised.

Team Options
========

Uxie only fits on dedicated Trick Room teams, so slower Pokemon that can abuse take advantage of and pressure the opposing team are mandatory partners. Slower setup sweepers that usually take advantage of the support Memento can provide like Swords Dance Crawdaunt and Alolan Marowak and wallbreakers, (RC) such as Bewear, Mega Abomasnow, and Mega Camerupt, (RC) are examples of such Pokemon. Other slower Pokemon that also benefit from the effect of Trick Room like Stakataka are also good teammates. Other Trick Room setters, such as Cresselia and the aforementioned Stakataka, are also valuable partners, as Uxie is often not capable of keeping up Trick Room by itself for an entire match. Cresselia is a particularly good teammate, as it can set up Trick Room on a lot of Pokemon, provide Lunar Dance support, and offer similar defensive utility, which Uxie and most of the teams it's found at on would appreciate. Fairy-type Trick Room setters such as Aromatisse also pair well with Uxie, (AC) since they can check Dark-types like Hydreigon and Crawdaunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Uxie doesn't have many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Offensive sets are outclassed by Latias, and Pokemon like Bronzong and Necrozma are usually better options as defensive Psychic-type Stealth Rock setters. Red Card could be used over Mental Herb, as it's a way to keep up momentum by phasing forcing out an opposing Pokemon that hits Uxie. It's also a way of cancelling U-Turn U-turn and Volt Switch's switching effect, bringing out a random Pokemon instead. However, without Mental Herb, Uxie can be easily shut down by common Taunt users. Darkinium Z is an option when using Memento, as it allows Uxie to take less damage from Knock Off and fully heal one of its teammates on top of while keeping up momentum. However, there is a large opportunity cost when using it, (AC) since that would mean that none of Uxie's teammates could benefit from using a Z-Move. Skill Swap could be used to remove Magic Bounce from Xatu (Xatu has been unranked; might want to check with QC to see if that's still fine to include) and Mega Absol, allowing Uxie to set up Stealth Rock against them. However, there's not room for it most of the time. Hidden Power Fire allows Uxie to 2HKO offensive variants of Scizor. (RP) However, (keep comma) but it's usually not worth using, (AC) as it doesn't offer any other additional utility and it fails to do any significant damage to bulkier Scizor sets. Toxic can also be used to cripple Pokemon that might try to take advantage of Uxie's passivity, such as Swampert and Hippowdon, but it's hard to fit onto the set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Strong Wallbreakers**: Pokemon like Choice Specs Gengar and Chandelure (is specs also important for chand? if not, put chand before gar) could potentially OHKO Uxie and prevent it from setting up Trick Room or and Stealth Rock. Other strong wallbreakers that are able to 2HKO it, such as Hydreigon and Primarina, are also threatening for the same reason.

**Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon like Swords Dance Scizor, Swords Dance Crawdaunt, and Calm Mind Suicune, (RC) are able to take advantage of Uxie's passive nature, (RC) and can set up on it with ease. Additionally, the Pokemon listed can also threaten most Trick Room teams due to either their access to priority or by stalling their ability to stall out Trick Room turns, which makes them especially threatening.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Mega Sharpedo are immune to Uxie's only attacking move and can threaten to 2HKO it with their super effective STAB moves, thus preventing it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock. Hydreigon can also potentially cause it to flinch it with Dark Pulse.

**Taunt**: After it has used its Mental Herb, Uxie can be easily shut down by Taunt users like Gliscor and Krookodile.

1/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Uxie is a fairly one-dimensional Pokemon, yet it finds itself a place in the UU metagame as a reliable Trick Room setter thanks to its ability to compress roles, its access to many different utility moves like Stealth Rock and Memento that allow it to support its team in various ways, and its great bulk, which allows it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl as well as super effective hits such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse and Krookodile and Alolan Muk's Knock Off. Additionally However, Uxie is almost entirely restricted to Trick Room teams due to being outclassed both offensively and defensively by other Psychic-types, such as Latias, Bronzong, and Necrozma, as it's unable to perform any other roles as effectively as them. Uxie is also very passive, as it can't do much damage to most Pokemon, meaning it's dead weight in most scenarios outside of performing its role. Substitute users like Nidoking and Kyurem, for example, can take advantage of it, as they're capable of blocking Memento. Furthermore, Uxie faces competition from other Trick Room setters such as Cresselia, which has access to Lunar Dance and reliable recovery, and Bronzong, which benefits from its Steel typing and has access to Explosion. They are usually better picks for a Trick Room setter, but this is only the case on Trick Room teams that are only using one dedicated setter.

[SET]
move 3: Memento / U-turn

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room grants Uxie and its teammates a form of speed control and a way of punishing offensive teams by making slower Pokemon move before faster ones. Stealth Rock is a necessity on every team, punishing switches by damaging foes. Memento allows Uxie to sacrifice itself to gain momentum and open up opportunities for one of its teammates to safely come in and potentially set up or pressure the opposing team. Alternatively, U-turn is another way to keep up momentum without having to sacrifice Uxie. Magic Coat is used to bounce back Spikes and Toxic Spikes from Pokemon like Klefki and Nihilego as well as Taunt, which is especially useful if Uxie is not carrying Mental Herb. Psychic can be used instead of Magic Coat in the last slot, allowing Uxie to hit Pokemon like Infernape for super effective damage, decreasing its passivity. However, without Magic Coat, Uxie becomes powerless against the aforementioned Spikes and Toxic Spikes setters.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread and nature maximize Uxie's defensive capabilities, allowing it to sponge hits from Pokemon like Cobalion and Mega Aerodactyl more easily. Additionally, a Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs make Uxie the fastest it can be under the effect of Trick Room. Levitate is Uxie's only ability and grants it a valuable Ground-type immunity. Mental Herb is used as a way to escape Taunt once. Colbur Berry is also an option, providing Uxie the ability to endure Dark-type attacks (RC) such as Hydreigon's Dark Pulse and Mega Sharpedo's Crunch, which could otherwise prevent it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Uxie is generally used as a lead; if the opposing team has a Pokemon that could take advantage of it, such as a setup sweeper like Swords Dance Scizor, it's reasonable to choose not to lead with it (RC) as to not be put into a bad position from the start. Depending on the scenario, Uxie should try to set up Trick Room or Stealth Rock once it's brought out; it should prioritize setting up Stealth Rock first most of the time (RC) as that would in order to preserve Trick Room turns. However, if faced against a foe such as Hydreigon or Choice Band Scizor that can 2HKO Uxie, Trick Room is the preferred play so that it can also set up Stealth Rock. Magic Coat should be used against Taunt users like Gliscor to prevent them from shutting down Uxie and to bounce back Spikes and Toxic Spikes from Pokemon like Klefki and Nihilego. It shouldn't be used to bounce back Stealth Rock, (AC) though, as Stealth Rock has more PP than Magic Coat, so it Uxie will never prevent them it from going up. Magic Coat also has less PP than Spikes and Toxic Spikes, but it's still beneficial to bounce them those back to cripple the opposing team. Uxie doesn't usually provide much more utility after setting up Stealth Rock and Trick Room, so it's safe to use Memento to bring one of its teammates in safely in those situations. U-turn can be used similarly to Memento to bring one of Uxie's teammates in after Stealth Rock and Trick Room have been set. Be careful around Substitute users such as Chandelure and Kyurem, as once they're behind a Substitute, they're not affected by Memento and are only going to waste Trick Room turns. As such, they shouldn't be given an opportunity to set up, so making predictions accordingly is advised.

Team Options
========

Uxie only fits on dedicated Trick Room teams, so slower Pokemon that can take advantage of and pressure the opposing team are mandatory partners. Slower setup sweepers that usually take advantage of the support Memento can provide like Swords Dance Crawdaunt and Alolan Marowak and wallbreakers such as Bewear, Mega Abomasnow, and Mega Camerupt are examples of such Pokemon. Other slower Pokemon that also benefit from the effect of Trick Room like Stakataka are also good teammates. Other Trick Room setters, such as Cresselia and the aforementioned Stakataka, are also valuable partners, as Uxie is often not capable of keeping up Trick Room by itself for an entire match. Cresselia is a particularly good teammate, as it can set up Trick Room on a lot of Pokemon, provide Lunar Dance support, and offer similar defensive utility, which Uxie and most of the teams it's found on would appreciate. Fairy-type Trick Room setters such as Aromatisse also pair well with Uxie, since they can check Dark-types like Hydreigon and Crawdaunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Uxie doesn't have many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Offensive sets are outclassed by Latias, and Pokemon like Bronzong and Necrozma are usually better options as defensive Psychic-type Stealth Rock setters. Red Card could be used over Mental Herb, as it's a way to keep up momentum by forcing out an opposing Pokemon that hits Uxie. It's also a way of cancelling U-turn and Volt Switch's switching effect, bringing out a random Pokemon instead. However, without Mental Herb, Uxie can be easily shut down by common Taunt users. Darkinium Z is an option when using Memento, as it allows Uxie to take less damage from Knock Off and fully heal one of its teammates while keeping up momentum. However, there is a large opportunity cost when using it, since that would mean that none of Uxie's teammates could benefit from using run a Z-Move. Skill Swap could be used to remove Magic Bounce from Pokemon like Mega Absol, allowing Uxie to set up Stealth Rock against it. However, there's not room for it most of the time. Hidden Power Fire allows Uxie to 2HKO offensive variants of Scizor, but it's usually not worth using, as it doesn't offer any other additional utility and it fails to do any significant damage to bulkier Scizor sets. Toxic can be used to cripple Pokemon that might try to take advantage of Uxie's passivity, such as Swampert and Hippowdon, but it's hard to fit onto the set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Strong Wallbreakers**: Pokemon like Choice Specs Gengar and Chandelure could potentially OHKO Uxie and prevent it from setting up Trick Room and Stealth Rock. Other strong wallbreakers that are able to 2HKO it, such as Hydreigon and Primarina, are also threatening for the same reason.

**Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon like Swords Dance Scizor, Swords Dance Crawdaunt, and Calm Mind Suicune are able to take advantage of Uxie's passive nature and can set up on it with ease. Additionally, the Pokemon listed can also threaten most Trick Room teams due to either their access to priority or their ability to stall out Trick Room turns, which makes them especially threatening.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Mega Sharpedo are immune to Uxie's only attacking move and can threaten to 2HKO it with their super effective STAB moves, thus preventing it from setting up Trick Room or Stealth Rock. Hydreigon can also potentially cause it to flinch with Dark Pulse.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)