VGC '12 Southeast Regional - Athens, GA - Won by Crow350!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes!!! man, to think i couldve had travel pay if that heat wave didn't miss :///

oh well, good to meet all dem pplz fulla SWAG

also FUCK i couldve sworn i saw evan but he's not even in athens!! weird

congrats to crow n my boy mantyke!!

Ttar is easier to get for casual players, but most of the serious competitive players will figure out a way to get a hold of anything they can't get themselves. Expect lots of rain.
only saw 2 people with rain actually, which may be a blessing because i hate ludicolo!!

oh hey and id like to thank fishy for posting the directions!! we totally forgot our directions print out so we had to use this topic for the address (pokemon.com probs wouldn't load on a phone)

It was a blast!

Only a few people (5?) went 7-1, with Crow350 aka Harrison taking top prize at 8-0 and literally dominating the competition. Lots (~30) of people went 6-2, including most of us from Smogon that I had the pleasure to talk with.

I was actually in the so-called "loser's bracket" after starting 2-2, but I played a LOT of fantastic people with the same record on my climb to 6-2. Every single one was a veritable nail-biter, and those are the most exciting ones to play!

Fun meeting a bunch of you guys, and if anyone was there I didn't talk to I was the guy with the shades (#swag) and black lightning bolt shirt!

Well my first tournament, I came out 3-5...so not too great, but I had a lot of fun lol. I know I don't know any of you guys, really...but if anyone saw me I was the brown-haired dude in the Lion King shirt :P

Had an awesome day, and my friend (Squirtle sprite-bead necklace, Tepig backpack) approached somebody with a prinny hat wondering where he got such an awesome hat.
I want to guess that it was you, Everstone?

I was the guy with the Turtwig hat and blue bag, and later bought a Munchlax plush from someone (I probably earned them a profit of at least 4 dollars. D:)
Anyways, my friend and I were a little disappointed by the lack of vendors, but we met a lot of people. When we first got there I was commenting on how classy some people were dressed (i.e. The guy with the white fedora!)

I actually didn't participate this year, but I definitely plan to do so next time. Had a lot of fun regardless!

Went 4-3 Seniors, lol I totally got hax'd. If you want to mention this my little brother "demoExpert" on Smogon got First Place in Juniors.

i finished 7th in masters (7-1) . . . my son finished 2nd in juniors (was 1st in orlando) and my daughter finished 5th in juniors (4th in orlando) -- both were 4-1 today . . .

. . . a very good day!

Oh yeah, and I think I met lucariojr for a short moment. Were you the guy with the lucario plush that was bit by a vicious female trying to get it back? D:

Hey, my name is Ryan and I had a great time playing against you guys today in Masters. I was wearing the brown Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows shirt and ended up 6-2 in 23rd place. I told myself last year I was gonna quit playing VGC because it wasn't fun for me anymore, but the new Swiss format made it worth the trip.

So this was an absolute blast and I can't believe I got as far as I did. It was awesome meeting so many people for the first time and seeing how many Pokemon nerds we have lurking the state of Georgia. I was absolutely shocked and humbled by how many people recognized me and how many ended up taking my stuff with them along the way (to the point where I was defeated by the hands of my own Tyranitar round 4). Thank you all for such a fantastic day!

I'll try chalking up a warstory, but for now, I'll leave you with a teaser image of a few smogoners together!

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Had an awesome day, and my friend (Squirtle sprite-bead necklace, Tepig backpack) approached somebody with a prinny hat wondering where he got such an awesome hat.
I want to guess that it was you, Everstone?

I was the guy with the Turtwig hat and blue bag, and later bought a Munchlax plush from someone (I probably earned them a profit of at least 4 dollars. D:)
Anyways, my friend and I were a little disappointed by the lack of vendors, but we met a lot of people. When we first got there I was commenting on how classy some people were dressed (i.e. The guy with the white fedora!)

I actually didn't participate this year, but I definitely plan to do so next time. Had a lot of fun regardless!
Yes I think I remember you. I believe your friend had a prinny shirt on (doods of war)? His necklace was distracting compared to the shirt and I didn't realize it even had a prinny until much later. Forgot to ask you guys for a pic, oh well. FYI hat's here.

Overall, this was a MUCH better VGC than Orlando since the atmosphere was livelier. I really wish more users had presented themselves but hanging out with you four was enough.

Considering I had fought 0 people between this VGC and Orlando's VGC and picked all members the night before I'd say I can't be too upset. Losses were to the winner and the guy who finished fourth, the latter which I could have won at the end if I hadn't misplayed. I'll probably post a story whenever time permits and if I can remember what Pokemon my opponents used.

7th Senior division

Played in the Senior division and got 7th place. (5/2) win ratio. I lost to the first and second place people in the tourament... Well it was only my second tourament so I'm good with it! I'll do better next year!

I almost made Top 4, but I lost 2 of my matches. One because of HP Grass Rotom and my own hastiness and another because of the most inopportune hax in the last round of VGCs. His Cloyster used Icicle Spear on my Hippowdon, who would've survived thanks to Sitrus if it wasn't for the 2 CRITICAL HITS that happened. On that same turn, I set up a Trick Room that worked against me. Then I send Excadrill out and Icicle Spear manages to get a key critical hit on him too. All I was left with was a Zapdos and Trick Room was still up. I still had a few good matches, though. There was one guy that used a FEAR Aron set pretty well, but I managed to beat him by clockout. I also figured out that Gastrodon is relatively useless and I'm now trying to replace him. Now I need to find some way to get to Nationals in Indy since I'm getting no financial help from the VGC people (I came in 10th and I got to see Crow. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WIN, CROW350!).

I found the Spring VGC tourney in Athens to be a much more well organized event than the Fall VGC Regional in Orlando, and I'm not just saying that because I happen to live in Athens. (While it was nice not to have to travel this weekend, travel can also be nice if you fit in Disney with the kids.) My son and I play both cards and video; my daughter plays video alone. During the card tourney in Orlando, when my wife tried to take a picture of the back of my head from a distance, a judge/organzer shooshed her away, which was understandable and fine. The next day, though, it was mass chaos while the kids were playing the video game, with other kids and parents hanging over the shoulders of the competitors and no judge/organizer to shoosh anyone away. I don't mean to disparage the good people and volunteers who helped in Florida; they're great people and were only learning the importance of buffer zones around the young competitors. The competitor area was much better controlled in Athens, which I think is really the result of the TGC staff (now both TGC & VGC) becoming more familiar with the VGC needs. What I mean is that it's not so much that Orlando wasn't as organized as it should have been (VGC-wise) as it is nice to see that there's learning going on and that the Spring tourney was better than the Fall. I expect there to be continued improvement in the new organizational pattern. Maybe we'll get a VGC Regionals knock-out stage after a top cut next year!

The people I met in Athens while playing were all super nice, with the exception of one individual who asked me how I breed during a match, seemingly wanting to have a friendly conversation about techniques. After our match, he then called a judge over for a hack check, claiming that my in-game breeding methods were illegal. That was not a pleasant experience, as I, like many on this board, have spent 100s of hours capturing/breeding/training legitimate competitive Pokemon. The person was not nice about the challenge either, even after a judge told him that my Pokemon were perfectly fine. I expect others on this board have experienced similar challenges. My family (me in particular) have benefitted greatly from the information shared on the Smogon site, though as is clear to the left, I haven't posted messages. We catch/breed/train all of our Pokemon. I was fortunate enough to stand in line next to Alaka at a Georgia Regional a couple years ago, and he told me about the Smogon site. I suspect there are many, like me, who appreciate what the Smogon community offers to encourage participation in Pokemon gaming. I started as a PokeDad, just having fun with my kids in the card and video game. Of course, I remain a PokeDad, with a fun hobby I share with the kids. We're a little better at the game now! Thank you!

Thanks for all the congrats everyone!

I had a really great time seeing everyone! Great games to all my competitors! I know I played Mantyke, Everstone, the FSPL guy who got 2nd, and one of Epic's friends; if I missed anyone else from here speak up! I look forward to seeing everyone at Nats!

Congrats to the rest of the top 8! Great job you guys!

Thanks for all the congrats everyone!

I had a really great time seeing everyone! Great games to all my competitors! I know I played Mantyke, Everstone, the FSPL guy who got 2nd, and one of Epic's friends; if I missed anyone else from here speak up! I look forward to seeing everyone at Nats!

Congrats to the rest of the top 8! Great job you guys!
You saw me when we were getting ready for the last round that I got terribly haxed in. I was the guy in the Mario shirt at table 2.

why does Lucariojr look like he's super high lol
I think we took another picture before this (lost it) and some of us were blinking in recoil.
I almost made Top 4, but I lost 2 of my matches. One because of HP Grass Rotom and my own hastiness and another because of the most inopportune hax in the last round of VGCs. His Cloyster used Icicle Spear on my Hippowdon, who would've survived thanks to Sitrus if it wasn't for the 2 CRITICAL HITS that happened. On that same turn, I set up a Trick Room that worked against me. Then I send Excadrill out and Icicle Spear manages to get a key critical hit on him too. All I was left with was a Zapdos and Trick Room was still up.
That was me :pirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)