Resource VGC 16: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the VGC 16 edition of VGC SQSA! If you are looking for the VGC 16 rules you can find them here.

If you are looking to have a question answered that can be done in a single post, please put it here instead of starting a new thread. This should be for VGC 16 questions only. General questions about Smogon should go in the Global SQSA thread.

Rules
  1. DO NOT ASK ABOUT HACK CHECKS OR ROMS or any other forms of cheating
  2. Your question should include at least a brief explanation
  3. Please quote the question you are answering, otherwise it can get confusing
  4. Please do a Google search before asking the question
  5. This goes without saying, but please follow all Smogon rules and be respectful to others
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is VGC?
A: VGC stands for the Video Game Championships, and is Nintendo's official Pokemon video game tournament series. The matches are all double battles with Pokemon autoleveled to 50 if over 50, and left the same if below 50. It is played on the DS at events ranging from local Premier challenges, larger Regional tournaments, National tournaments, and culminating in the World Championship..

Q: Where can I get free VGC Pokemon?
A: People will occasionally post giveaways here.

Q: How do I find events to participate in?
A: You can use the Pokemon.com event finder to local tournaments in your area.

What are sets for Xerneas?
Moonblast or Dazzling Gleam?
HP Ground, HP Fire or none?
Xerneas right now either use both Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast (Because of the sheer power they both do after a +2 regardless even to resisting mons) or opt for either one of HP Ground or Fire depending on what's the bigger threat. Can't forget Geomancy and Protect as well along with a Power Herb!

A question I have for myself; How are the smogon vgc tournaments going to be run once we enter the new format since we'd have to use normal rules in order to use the new legendaries?

It does, you're probably thinking of stats in which you don't invest any EVs as that's the only time reducing IVs from 31 to 30 will have no effect. Check for yourself in the Showdown Teambuilder in a stat with 252 EVs.
I was wrong, lol.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not. The first set is at least 90% of Xerneas on the Showdown ladder right now, with occasionally a filler move (like Grass Knot) over Moonblast. And I already mentioned bulk EVs.

Well, the set I'm usually seeing from my local scene is:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpA
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Geomancy

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It does, you're probably thinking of stats in which you don't invest any EVs as that's the only time reducing IVs from 31 to 30 will have no effect. Check for yourself in the Showdown Teambuilder in a stat with 252 EVs.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not. The first set is at least 90% of Xerneas on the Showdown ladder right now, with occasionally a filler move (like Grass Knot) over Moonblast. And I already mentioned bulk EVs.
You're definitely wrong lol.

Geoxern is common but the set you listed is wrong on many levels, I'm unsure if you're just trying to mislead players or outright ignorant so I won't comment on that. But in general xern sets are similar to

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 108 Def / 204 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam / hp ground
- Geomancy
- Protect

if not that spread they're running 188spe/252+modest/116 def, or god forbid the fucking ladder king set of 252+spe/252spa xerneas. Regardless there is zero reason to run max/max on geoxern since it leads to a huge inefficient use of ev's xd.

Specs xern just isn't used............. lol And even if it was used then it certainly won't be running a horrendously inefficienct spread of max/max. If you want reasons why choice locked xern is god awful, feel free to post in the viability rankings and I'll be sure to rip it to shreds. overall, both sets you listed aren't used whatsoever and you youself admitted it by saying things like "i feel choice xern will pick up later in the metagme" which in itself implies they're not popular zzzz

Usage =/= Viability at all. I also don't think I've read/listened to a single analysis from high level players about Xerneas that haven't mentioned the fact that its Geomancy set is likely to drop in usage later on in the season. It's a great set, and is likely to by far remain it's most popular option until the end, but Xerneas isn't a one-trick Pokemon and I believe it's worth highlighting alternatives.
While I can see the meta changing to where people will use Specs or even Scarf Xerneas, I don't see it catching on too much unless someone wins a Regional/Nats. The reason for this, imo, is because Geomancy is just that good of a buff. Between Fake Out and Quick Guard, Xerneas should have some cover while it sets up, and Geomancy's +2 to Sp. Attack and Speed means once it gets that one boost under its belt, it'll be hard to stop.

That said, Specs/Scarf sets could see usage due to the surprise factor of Xerneas outspeeding or dealing a bit more damage than normal, but the fact that it locks Xerneas into a move may make it a little problematic for the Rainbow Stag, since most of the threats to Xerneas tends to not care as much for its +2 attacks anyways. (+2 Moonblast is a 2HKO on a bulky Crobat, for example) Plus switching out to reset a choice lock may not be entirely optimal in this format, since the high power level means a switch-in could take high damage. Plus there is the obvious fact that Specs/Scarf Xerneas just won't be as fast or hit as hard as a Geomancy'd one. It will be a bit easier to stop since it isn't dealing crazy amounts of damage and threatening OHKOs on a lot of things.

Tl;Dr version: I can see Specs/Scarf Xerneas being viable, I just think that it is flawed enough to not become popular.

Last edited:
Speaking more generally: it's impossible for 252/252 to be "inefficient" on an offensive Pokemon when maximising both of those stats is allowing it to do it's job better: outspeeding and KOing as many foes as possible. Exact EVs are always going to be team specific, which often means it's better to adapt as few bulk EVs as possible to begin with and then add them as you find you need them in testing. Simple spreads just often make for a better foundation when teambuilding for that reason. Bear in mind there was zero team context given for the original query.
Well at +2 what are you needing 252+ Spe for? You don't need to max it to continue outspeeding everything relevant, meaning there are EVs (and that nature probably isn't best) going to waste, making the spread inefficient. Honestly I think it'd be a better example to grab the ubers Geomancy set as a base, it already has speed tiering accounted for in the most part considering the big threats in VGC are in ubers too, the restricted list plus the likes of Mega-Kangaskhan and Mega-Gengar etc.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If you're forced to rely on xern after a geomancy to beat another xern after a geomancy, you're doing something very wrong in the first place. This is different than say bat/mence lead mirrors where it's pretty much unavoidable but 252+ spe for winning ties with xern is absurd lol and only shitty players on ladder use 252+ xern (for that reason at least)

One point literally does not make a big enough difference between how much damage something does over the other to argue over. Only by the slightest of margins does 31/4 do more damage than 30/4.

204 SpA Xerneas Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 73-86 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

204 SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 74-88 (42 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Also IT DOES hit just as hard as Grass knot

What natures are viable for Giratina-O?
It definitely depends on set and on what do you want to do. I like Calm, Adamant and Timid and each of those perform rather differently. Calm Giratina-O allows you to beat any kind of Primal Groudon, even Eruption special variants. Adamant Giratina-O abuses Shadow Force, a move capable of breaking Protect which supports other heavy attackers like Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre which have almost no switch-ins. Remember that for this to happen, Giratina-O's partner must be slower than it. Timid hits ridiculously hard with STAB boosted Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball while also having Tailwind and Will-O-Wisp. All up to personal preference!

So I just reset a flawless impish arceus...the only set that seems to use it in ubers is poison, to counter xerneas...anyone have any ideas if it may be useful this year?

So I just reset a flawless impish arceus...the only set that seems to use it in ubers is poison, to counter xerneas...anyone have any ideas if it may be useful this year?
  • All discovered Pokémon will be allowed except the following Mythical Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa.
No.

Does battle spot doubles have the same rules as VGC 2016 at the moment? I tested a team on showdown and I want to see how it fairs on cartridge.

Does battle spot doubles have the same rules as VGC 2016 at the moment? I tested a team on showdown and I want to see how it fairs on cartridge.
No, it does not. If you want to use a team on cartridge you will need to find people willing to battle you.

Nope. It's VGC15 ruleset. VGC Forum has gone fully to '16.
Battlespot forum has exactly 0 support / info on BS Doubles too.
And appearently no one wants me to fix that problem. Anyway. If you want a cartridge battle, PM me. I'm the dying breath of the metagame.

Nope. It's VGC15 ruleset. VGC Forum has gone fully to '16.
Battlespot forum has exactly 0 support / info on BS Doubles too.
And appearently no one wants me to fix that problem. Anyway. If you want a cartridge battle, PM me. I'm the dying breath of the metagame.
I think he was asking if the actual battle spot was using VGC 2016 rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)