VGC 17 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alolan Muk is looking very strong. Its typing and coverage make it a big presence on the battlefield. It can Minimize to set up a sweep, and it receives support from numerous teammates. Persian can Fake Out, Thunder Wave, and Taunt mons that would otherwise negatively effect Alolan Muk. The Tapus all provide it various supportive passive effects that can make it even more threatening. It can receive Trick Room from mons that have it, as well as Wide Guard support from the likes of Celesteela and Guzzlord. Overall, I think it's going to be a force to be reckoned with. Thoughts?

Alolan Muk is looking very strong. Its typing and coverage make it a big presence on the battlefield. It can Minimize to set up a sweep, and it receives support from numerous teammates. Persian can Fake Out, Thunder Wave, and Taunt mons that would otherwise negatively effect Alolan Muk. The Tapus all provide it various supportive passive effects that can make it even more threatening. It can receive Trick Room from mons that have it, as well as Wide Guard support from the likes of Celesteela and Guzzlord. Overall, I think it's going to be a force to be reckoned with. Thoughts?
Practically only one weakness from it's typing, incredibly effective against Fairy types, which imo are going to have a prominent rise in this generation, especially with all the Tapu's. Appreciates Tapu Bulu's grassy terrain, and can use Grassy Seed to further boost defences. I hope people won't be scummy and use Minimise strategies but then again you can't control the meta, only try to adapt towards it. I think the best strategy against Alolan Muk would either be to try and stall it out with Salazzle and Toxic, or focus onto it before it can set up Minimise.

Is anyone stalling with Salazzle? I was under the impression it was extremely frail.

Minimise strategy could be strong with Follow Me support.

Is anyone stalling with Salazzle? I was under the impression it was extremely frail.

Minimise strategy could be strong with Follow Me support.
You are right, Salazzle is incredibly frail, but Corrosion allows it to Badly Poison Muk. In a favourable matchup, theoretically Salazzle outspeeds, Toxic's Muk before it can Minimise. after that Muk is very much outstalled, despite minimise

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
K after playing a few ladder matches and building a few teams, i have basically concluded that Celesteela is king of the format due to its amazing bulk and movepool in combination with Beast Boost that allows it to keep getting defensive boosts each time it nets a KO. Tapu KoKo and Alolan Raichu also forme a very deadly core when used together that is very difficult to stop and Oranguru + Ribombee is very deadly as well when Instructing Quiver Dances.

Really interested to see how format will develop this year.

I'm super excited about this format, seeing buffs to weather and terrain, with new setters and abusers. A lot more balanced and forgiving than 2016 too lol. My first project is definitely going to be trying to make hail work, no matter how difficult it may be.

I'm super stoked about pelipper getting drizzle. That paired with raichu and Tapu Koko is the dream team right there.

Sucks that we still don't know which special pokemon can and can't be used yet, I can't wait to start building teams.

If you watch the Japanese trailer uploaded yesterday, you'll see that Mega Kangaskhan's 2nd hit does surprisingly less damage and Serebii confirmed that it got nerfed by 25%
I would rather have seen them just limit the secondary effects of moves to only be calculated once. Power up punch is straight up broken on mega khan

I'm super excited about this format, seeing buffs to weather and terrain, with new setters and abusers. A lot more balanced and forgiving than 2016 too lol. My first project is definitely going to be trying to make hail work, no matter how difficult it may be.

I'm super stoked about pelipper getting drizzle. That paired with raichu and Tapu Koko is the dream team right there.

Sucks that we still don't know which special pokemon can and can't be used yet, I can't wait to start building teams.
vgc 2016 had it's positives, me and my friend built a troll gimmick team and had decent success running it. sadly we both got busy and the season ended. rain is looking very strong this vgc season. drizzle + electric terrain + raichu = dead things. also volt tackle is a move tutor

[5:18 PM] blarajan: get the fuck active you losers

Just some general thoughts I guess lol

For the tapus i think lele > koko > bulu > fini is pretty accurate, lele hits like a truck and blocks fake out which is really really nice. koko is also strong with electric + ice coverage. bulu smashes everything lol but low speed, grass not being the best offensive typing, and no play rough leaves it low. finally, fini is meh since its terrain only weakens dragon moves of grounded opps and gets no offensive boost.

celesteela works wonders heavyslam / leechseed / wide guard or sub / protect i think is really good. heavy slam is free 120 bp (180 w/ stab) and subseed is annoying to face especially with a nice typing. wg can also be used for support. also the only good fires are like aloha marowak and arcanine so thats pretty nice. celesteela + chomp i find effective since it hits both electrics and fires for se damage and can eq next to celesteela easily.

zmoves on unltrabeasts looks nice as you get a kill hopefully and then +1 to your respective attacking stat.

What do you guys think of Ash-Greninja? Since there's no megas this season, I've been trying to make it work. I've paired him with a powerful teammate like pheromossa and then let him pick off the opponent with shuriken for a free transformation.

What do you guys think of Ash-Greninja? Since there's no megas this season, I've been trying to make it work. I've paired him with a powerful teammate like pheromossa and then let him pick off the opponent with shuriken for a free transformation.
can be tricksy to try and secure the kill necessary for transformation, and while its raw stats are impressive for offence, its defences are still poor; as a fast af mon in a slow meta game of base 60's and base 43's, it loses momentum slightly on faster u-turns, and is guaranteed to go last in TR, which I think has the potential as well as Terrains, to be a key theme for this Generation. It also loses the guaranteed STAB of Protean with its coverage moves, as well as the rather trippy defensive typing changes that go with it.

Has potential to do well but IMO it's going to be hampered greatly by TR and an all too common combo of Koko +Raichu-A

Does Silvally have any shot of being decent at VGC? I was thinking making mine Poison type with Multi-Attack, Parting Shot and some coverage, mostly as a Tapu check that can make way for another partner via Parting Shot.

So, I've been using a really strong set lately that's been finding mixed success, and I've been looking as to how to improve it! currently I have two team strats in the same team, first is an all out sweep with oranguru and dragonite, and the second is supposed to be an ability passing strat from celesteela to an alakzam using the power alchemy, alolan muk's hidden ability. The first strat has dragonite use dragon dance first turn, take a super effective hit from multiscale and activate weakness policy, and oranguru use instruct which leaves dragonite with +4 attack and +2 speed, which still won't outspeed alola raichu with electric terrain, but extreme speed helps with that, and it sure aint livin' that. after that oranguru has support in psyshock with calm mind and protect as the other moves, and dragonite has coverage in fire punch and dragon claw for stab. The other set is celesteela with autotimise, heavy slam, seed bomb and earthquake, holding a leftovers, sitting next an alolan muk, which has an assault vest and knows the moves shadow sneak gunk shot, knock off and stone edge for coverage, main idea being after punching some holes, celesteela goes down, passing beast boost, then alakazam comes in and role plays the beast boost into stab + coverage. when muk goes down, there's a dhelise in the back for support. Any thoughts on some improvements? I have a replay here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-482946637

Been playing the main game slowly, and want my first teams in sun and moon to be VGC viable teams as well. With mostly new pokemon as well. though that also meant I am not allowing myself to rebreed the starters since I want them to be the ones I actually got at the start(sentimental reasons) so their natures may not be the best, but everything else should be VGC viable. Here are my 2 teams.

Moon team:

Primarina @ Primarium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Gentle Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Mismagius @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mystical Fire
- Hex
- Thunderbolt
- Power Gem

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Heavy Slam
- Close Combat

Salazzle (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Poison Gas
- Venoshock
- Venom Drench
- Fire Blast

Tsareena (F)
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Adamant Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Play Rough

Oranguru @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 128 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psychic Terrain
- Instruct
- Foul Play
The moon team here I have some nice doubles combos. Salazzle with Poison gas and Venom Drench is one of the core members. Mismagius will almost always getting double damaging hex's thanks to corrosion and Poison gas. With Oranguru, thats a harsh drop for both members. Oranguru himself will be a key member thanks to Psychic terrain and making my teammates double attack a lot. I choose a modest nature because I wanted that psychic to still hit hard if he needed to attack under psychic terrain. Tsareena will remove annoying hazards on the team, not sure on the hold item though. Gentle isn't the best for Primarina, but she becomes a strong special wall with Mudsdale being able to soak up insane physical damage, and even special damage thanks to assault vest.

Sun Team:

Incineroar @ Incinium Z
Ability: Blaze
Lonely Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Leech Life
- Flare Blitz
- Cross Chop

Palossand @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Shore Up
- Shadow Ball

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Venoshock
- Recover
- Surf

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry

Kommo-o @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpA
Rash Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Sky Uppercut
- Poison Jab
- Flamethrower

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake
- Toxic
This one I am very torn on Toxapex. I really want to run the merciless set I listed, since I think with Alolan Ninetails veil up it should never be dieing anyway, so letting it do some serious damage is great for a super tank. I have surf so I can activate weakness policy activate on Palossand easily. But I could also go with a super tanky annoying set with Regenator, Stockpile, Infestation, toxic, and Recover to never die and do constant damage. I can easily replace the Z crystal with Life orb, but love how that move looks haha. My Kommo-o is designed just to be a tanky mixed attack with decent attacking stats. With Veil she will take hits very well and return with some decent mixed damage. Celesteela I can replace toxic with Fire blast/Flamethrower, but wanted extra secruity in setting up Toxapex's mercilless Venoshocks(though if I got regenerator I will go fire blast). Plus toxic and leech seed is a evil combo. With her weight even things resisting heavy slam will take some impressive damage.

WHat do you guys think? I really would like some thoughts, especially on the toxapex. And replacing the natures of the starters is not happening sadly, due to how I want these to be the actual starters I picked at the start, and mass resetting for a female modest Popplio and a female Adamant Litten was not gonna happen and keep me sane

Does the item clause extend to Z-Crystals? For example, is it illegal to have two Pokemon with Normalium-Z?

Someone shared this picture with me on /vp/, it's the most common pokemon on the top 20 teams in showdown as of yesterday. Most of these were kind of predictable, Marowak-A and Muk-A being as popular as they are is a bit surprising though many people identified them as potential anti-meta pokemon after BSTs and movepools came out. Also I'm surprised that Krookodile sees significant use (though I suspect he would fall into the abyss if Incineroar got HA). What really threw me for a loop though was that the #2 and #3 teams both use Decidueye, both are TR teams. Seems that what they use him over Trevenant for are Sucker Punch and Sinister Arrow Raid, his unique Z-move.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)