VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best ability for an (Mega) Abomasnow? Snow Warning let's me change the weather twice, once by switching in and once by mega-evolving. Soundproof, on the other hand, let's me switch in Hyper Voice or the rarer Snarl and ignore Perish Song.
snow Warning. the ability to remove sashes and reset weather has much more utility than being immune to a playstyle it should be able to overpower (Perish Trap) and Sylveon (of which there are much better answers).

Who's a reliable Trick Room setter outside of Cresselia (Crescent Island refuses to show up) I was thinking Cofagrigus for Mummy to annoy Khan and Bisharp.

If you really wanted Cress, Uxie could substitute pretty well. Other than that, there are a few options. The most innovative I've seen are Gallade + Gardevoir, though.

Who's a reliable Trick Room setter outside of Cresselia (Crescent Island refuses to show up) I was thinking Cofagrigus for Mummy to annoy Khan and Bisharp.
babiri berry aromatisse is fairly reliable. oblivious blocks taunt, and given her natural bulk, you'll almost assuredly set a room up, even if your opponent leads bisharp to try and pick up the kill
jellicent is fairly sturdy but has to watch out for bisharp and doesn't like to have the coba berry because once TR is up it really appreciates having high HP to water spout with
gothitelle is, of course, good
japanese players have been rocking m-gallade because it's immune to flinching, also gets access to wow and a ridic strong close combat

How many speed EVs does a Modest Scarf Hydreigon need?
204 EVs are enough to outspeed Adamant Landog, I think just running 252 maybe worthwhile unless you can find a specific need for 52 EVs. The benefit to running 252 is that you will speedtie with opposing Choice Scarf Hydreigons running Modest 252.

Reactions: Xen
204 EVs are enough to outspeed Adamant Landog, I think just running 252 maybe worthwhile unless you can find a specific need for 52 EVs. The benefit to running 252 is that you will speedtie with opposing Choice Scarf Hydreigons running Modest 252.
52 HP reduces the odds of Mega TTar's Low Kick KOing Hydreigon, that's all I could really find.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 148-176 (85 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 148-176 (88 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Hydreigon: 140-166 (83.8 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Of course, that's utterly irrelevant considering Sand damage and the fact that Modest Scarf Hydreigon does absolutely nothing in return to Mega TTar. So I'd do 252 Sp. Atk/Speed if only to tie mirror sets and get the jump on anything trying to outrun Adamant Scarf Landorus-T with Tailwind support or something.

you mean aroma veil

it also blocks stuff like encore and disable so your average whimsicott can't do shit to it

and of course its partner gets all these effects as well
my b you're right

oblivious blocks taunts as well so keeping slowbro as a regular pokemon for one turn works similarly, but oblivious doesn't protect your partner

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
52 HP reduces the odds of Mega TTar's Low Kick KOing Hydreigon, that's all I could really find.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 148-176 (85 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 148-176 (88 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Hydreigon: 140-166 (83.8 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Of course, that's utterly irrelevant considering Sand damage and the fact that Modest Scarf Hydreigon does absolutely nothing in return to Mega TTar. So I'd do 252 Sp. Atk/Speed if only to tie mirror sets and get the jump on anything trying to outrun Adamant Scarf Landorus-T with Tailwind support or something.
Thanks! Speaking of Landorus, I just now noticed running Scarf Hydra conflicts with the item clause (already running Scarf Lando). :/

Are non-scarf Landorus sets viable? I remember experimenting with Yache Berry at the start of the season, but quickly found it, more often than not, being a waste of an item slot.

Thanks! Speaking of Landorus, I just now noticed running Scarf Hydra conflicts with the item clause (already running Scarf Lando). :/

Are non-scarf Landorus sets viable? I remember experimenting with Yache Berry at the start of the season, but quickly found it, more often than not, being a waste of an item slot.
Indeed. your next best bet is probably Choice Band, but you could easily check the Pokemon Global Link.

Wouldn't bother with Yache, better off just running <insert Water type here>. Assault Vest would net you good, mixed bulk on neutral attacks, Choice Band off of 145 Atk would probably sting quite bad with minimal regard to how bad prediction is, and I guess Soft Sand/Expert Belt could bluff a Choice set. Might get away with Normal Gem Explosion shenanigans too. Actually, fuck all that, use an Air Balloon.

As for Hydreigon, I adore my old Mixed one (RIP, fairy happened) and you could do a lot with Hydreigon as well. Tailwind, T-Wave, Specs, Mixed might still be viable if you have a Fairy murder machine.

I have been running Cybertron's EV spread on Sylveon for a while (Specs, Jolly Khan can't OHKO with Return) but I've been running into Double-Edge more often than Return. I came up with an EV spread so Sylveon can take Jolly Khan's Double-Edge (92 HP/ 252 Def/ 164 SpA). Sylveon takes 84-99.4% from 252 Atk Jolly Double-Edge and I have a few questions about the spread.

1. Are there any important OHKO or 2HKO's I'm missing out on?
2. Is there a more efficient EV spread to achieve the same results?
3. Or is it pointless to make a spread for this?

I have been running Cybertron's EV spread on Sylveon for a while (Specs, Jolly Khan can't OHKO with Return) but I've been running into Double-Edge more often than Return. I came up with an EV spread so Sylveon can take Jolly Khan's Double-Edge (92 HP/ 252 Def/ 164 SpA). Sylveon takes 84-99.4% from 252 Atk Jolly Double-Edge and I have a few questions about the spread.

1. Are there any important OHKO or 2HKO's I'm missing out on?
2. Is there a more efficient EV spread to achieve the same results?
3. Or is it pointless to make a spread for this?
Well, using a spread like that gives it some more longevity that can be used to buy partners turns or for it to continue the onslaught. If it lives a Double-Edge from Jolly Kang, chances are that it lives other moves as well. For example, it might make it take Stone Edge Terrakion or Lando EQs easier, which makes its life easier.

However, the power difference may be noticeable on more bulky pokemon, such as Rotom-W. Specs and Hyper Voice is already a broken combo, so.

Is it possible to put attention on another pokemon? Say Poké A uses X move on Poké B, Poké B becomes the center of attention!

Is it possible to put attention on another pokemon? Say Poké A uses X move on Poké B, Poké B becomes the center of attention!
Like follow me or rage powder? I can't think of anything, but I also can't think of a use, since normally the point if redirection is so the pokemon not getting attacked has a free turn.

Hey! I'm stuck on a good EV spread for a Bulky DD Mega Salamence. I've come across this EV Spread that I worked on: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 80 Def / 100 Spe

What it does:
  • Outspeeds Max 252 Neutrel Base 100 Speed Mons'
  • Survives 252 Atk LO Stone Edge from Terrakoin, +252 Atk Stone Edge from Lando-T, +252 Atk LO Ice Shard from Mamoswine, 252 Atk Dragon Claw from Garchomp
  • Survives -1 +252 Atk Play Rough from Mega Mawile, Survives -1 252 Atk Choice Band Play Rough from Azumarill
  • 2HKO's 252 HP / +252 Def Cresselia Return at +1 80 Atk w/ Double Edge
  • 93.8% to OHKO 252 HP Mega Kangaskhan at +1 80 Atk w/ Double Edge
Is this an effective EV spread or is there a better one out there? Advice/help/thoughts are appreciated since I'm very new to the VGC metagame ! :]

Hey! I'm stuck on a good EV spread for a Bulky DD Mega Salamence. I've come across this EV Spread that I worked on: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 80 Def / 100 Spe

What it does:
  • Outspeeds Max 252 Neutrel Base 100 Speed Mons'
  • Survives 252 Atk LO Stone Edge from Terrakoin, +252 Atk Stone Edge from Lando-T, +252 Atk LO Ice Shard from Mamoswine, 252 Atk Dragon Claw from Garchomp
  • Survives -1 +252 Atk Play Rough from Mega Mawile, Survives -1 252 Atk Choice Band Play Rough from Azumarill
  • 2HKO's 252 HP / +252 Def Cresselia Return at +1 80 Atk w/ Double Edge
  • 93.8% to OHKO 252 HP Mega Kangaskhan at +1 80 Atk w/ Double Edge
Is this an effective EV spread or is there a better one out there? Advice/help/thoughts are appreciated since I'm very new to the VGC metagame ! :]
I think its better to outspeed the Latis and Keldeo + Co. before a boost, making you a shitload more versatile and being able to destroy it before it destroys you. They'll already assume you outspeed; but, if they find out mid-game that something outspeeds you, chances are you'll be dead before the boost. Although the boost alleviates this, you can't be for certain that you won't be killed before the boost.

172 with a Jolly Nature outspeeds them; plan accordingly.

Like follow me or rage powder? I can't think of anything, but I also can't think of a use, since normally the point if redirection is so the pokemon not getting attacked has a free turn.
Thank you, the use was gonna be put all attention on wobbufett and deal out a powerful counter or mirror coat

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I think its better to outspeed the Latis and Keldeo + Co. before a boost, making you a shitload more versatile and being able to destroy it before it destroys you. They'll already assume you outspeed; but, if they find out mid-game that something outspeeds you, chances are you'll be dead before the boost. Although the boost alleviates this, you can't be for certain that you won't be killed before the boost.

172 with a Jolly Nature outspeeds them; plan accordingly.
Keldeo isn't allowed in VGC.

Edit: I swear this will be my last question for a while. I'm thinking about adding Ludicolo to my team since my current setup is weak to Rain (and Ludicolo is just plain cool). Should an AV Ludicolo run a defensive nature, or Modest? And what would the most optimal EV spread be?

Last edited:
Keldeo isn't allowed in VGC.

Edit: I swear this will be my last question for a while. I'm thinking about adding Ludicolo to my team since my current setup is weak to Rain (and Ludicolo is just plain cool). Should an AV Ludicolo run a defensive nature, or Modest? And what would the most optimal EV spread be?
From looking at nugget bridge most people seem to think that with AV ludi is better off running modest nature. I'm not sure on what ev's would be best though and with things like m-mence it's probably something you want to avoid as even with a +def nature and 252/252 hp def spread you just die to 252 adamant m-mence return.
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP/252+ Def Leftovers Swift Swim Ludicolo in Rain: 242 - 288 (129.4 - 154%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers

Is Mega Gallade viable at all? I got a shiny Jolly 5IV Ralts as a gift and don't know yet what to do with it...
Yeah, to some extent. I know some people use it as a TR starter because it can't be flinched, but then you can't use Camerupt or Mawile under TR.

When running speed EVs on a speed boosting nature Talonflame, exactly how many EVs would be optimal for outspeeding the most relevant VGC threats? I know the threats depend on the team, but I just want to know in general, based on standard sets and other priority users like Whimsicott and Thundurus, who I'm also not sure about how many speed EVs they run generally.

I've been trying 185 speed on Talonflame to outspeed the fastest Whimsicott, but I don't know if I'm just wasting EVs by doing that when I could invest in bulk or SpAtk.

If it helps, I have Mega Sceptile, Mega Gyarados, Aegislash, Togekiss, and Bisharp alongside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)