Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So CP would have been earned in the November International Challenge? That was much more fun than Sun series was!
It would've, but only if:
- you have a Play! Pokémon ID registered and linked to your global link account
- you placed high enough (I think only the top 256 get CP?)

Keep in mind that CP only does two things:
- lets you participate in the world championships if you get enough of it
- sometimes gives you free flights/hotels to the next internationals, if you're one of the top players in the region

Here's some more info about CP: https://www.pokemon.com/uk/play-pok...emon-tournaments/earn-championship-points-vg/

Thanks for the info. CP then has no importance for me! - no aspirations of greatness here, I'm just hoping to achieve mediocrity and hold around 1500.

Why are the following Pokemon ranked:

• Talonflame
  • Salazzle (dont get me wrong i love salazzle! Im just surprised and curious)
  • Bronzong
  • Ditto
  • Araquanid
  • Arcanine
  • Togedemaru
  • Lurantis
  • Shiftry
  • Victreebel (im honestly surprised)
  • Lumineon

Why are the following Pokemon ranked:

• Talonflame
  • Salazzle (dont get me wrong i love salazzle! Im just surprised and curious)
  • Bronzong
  • Ditto
  • Araquanid
  • Arcanine
  • Togedemaru
  • Lurantis
  • Shiftry
  • Victreebel (im honestly surprised)
  • Lumineon
Talonflame is guaranteed to set up Tailwind, and on Groudon teams it can eliminate venusaur leads with priority brave bird. It also has a large array of support moves like Taunt and Quick Guard.

Salazzle is a fast fake out. It 4x resists fairy so despite its frailness it can come in a threaten Xerneas. Fire/poison is really good coverage.

Bronzong hasn't seen a ton of usage recently but (Z) TR+ hypnosis is cool and it also counters Xern to some extent. Also it gets gravity.

Ditto is something of a Xerneas counter since it has red card. It can become a boosted Xerneas, get hit by an attack, force the Xerneas out, and keep it's boosts and sweep. It's not a great counter since it's easy enough to play around but it's something.

Araquanid resists ground and water, has wide guard, and had bug bite which was really good in sun series due to all the berries around. It's not great but has a small niche.

Arcanine is meh but has tools incineroar doesn't like burn up, wild charge, and close combat, to go with roar. Can safely switch into Kartana.

Togedemaru is a lightningrod pokemon with fake out. Most people would rather use Raichu but the steel typing can be really good on some teams.

Lurantis is probably the best Dusk Mane partner since the best way to deal with DM is intimidate cycling, and Kyogre gets rid of it's fire weakness.

Shiftry? I have no idea. It has clorophyll but seems bad.

Victreebel is Venusaur, but slightly slower. It has access to weather ball, encore, and clear smog, and that's what differentiates it.

Lumineon cut Memphis regionals. It has soak, tailwind, and swift swim. That's really it.

Talonflame is guaranteed to set up Tailwind, and on Groudon teams it can eliminate venusaur leads with priority brave bird. It also has a large array of support moves like Taunt and Quick Guard.

Salazzle is a fast fake out. It 4x resists fairy so despite its frailness it can come in a threaten Xerneas. Fire/poison is really good coverage.

Bronzong hasn't seen a ton of usage recently but (Z) TR+ hypnosis is cool and it also counters Xern to some extent. Also it gets gravity.

Ditto is something of a Xerneas counter since it has red card. It can become a boosted Xerneas, get hit by an attack, force the Xerneas out, and keep it's boosts and sweep. It's not a great counter since it's easy enough to play around but it's something.

Araquanid resists ground and water, has wide guard, and had bug bite which was really good in sun series due to all the berries around. It's not great but has a small niche.

Arcanine is meh but has tools incineroar doesn't like burn up, wild charge, and close combat, to go with roar. Can safely switch into Kartana.

Togedemaru is a lightningrod pokemon with fake out. Most people would rather use Raichu but the steel typing can be really good on some teams.

Lurantis is probably the best Dusk Mane partner since the best way to deal with DM is intimidate cycling, and Kyogre gets rid of it's fire weakness.

Shiftry? I have no idea. It has clorophyll but seems bad.

Victreebel is Venusaur, but slightly slower. It has access to weather ball, encore, and clear smog, and that's what differentiates it.

Lumineon cut Memphis regionals. It has soak, tailwind, and swift swim. That's really it.
I see! Thank you!

How exactly does Lurantis work? Im a bit confused.

Maybe I should use Salazzle, haha!

I was looking at the results from Malaysia Special Event
https://trainertower.com/2019-malaysia-special-event/
and I noticed that two teams with Shedinja made the top8.
Does anybody know their moveset?
It was also in Dallas top32.

I suppose that it's to early to say how viable it is. But it seems to be sorta good anti-meta mon - it's immune to Xerneas, Kyogre, Kartana (w/o Knock off), Koko, Lele, Ludicolo, Tsareena, Solgaleo, Venusaur.
Still weak to Yveltal and worst of all - Incineroar.
Also while immune, it can't do much in return.

I can't speak for all of them, but the typical set is- Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Ally Switch and Protect. Some might have toxic, and I don't think using bug stab is that useful with it though it is another option.

I can't speak for all of them, but the typical set is- Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Ally Switch and Protect. Some might have toxic, and I don't think using bug stab is that useful with it though it is another option.
I can confirm this is the set that the t32 team in Dallas used. You only bring it in MUs where you can isolate the Xern or Ogre in an endgame. He had Palkia and Groudon so eliminating the Incineroar wasn't too difficult, and teched hard for Yveltal.

where can i get specific help on understanding how to play VGC? I have read articles and watched videos while practicing with sample teams, and I keep getting beat down again and again. I'm having a hard time understanding how to play and I can't seem to find someone who will take the time to show me how to play and what to do and not to do in situations. Everytime i play vs someone, my opponent always has a counter for anything i try and i just find it overwhelming and frustrating because i am trying super hard when in a game to win but my best efforts are never enough.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
where can i get specific help on understanding how to play VGC? I have read articles and watched videos while practicing with sample teams, and I keep getting beat down again and again. I'm having a hard time understanding how to play and I can't seem to find someone who will take the time to show me how to play and what to do and not to do in situations. Everytime i play vs someone, my opponent always has a counter for anything i try and i just find it overwhelming and frustrating because i am trying super hard when in a game to win but my best efforts are never enough.
Here's a link to the Tutoring program for the VGC format. If you follow the directions and ask nicely, I'm sure there is a way for you to get a tutor who will be able to assist your learning (they taught me a variety of metas over the years).

Want to improve a team that I used in the international challenge for a premier challenge upcoming. I know there are a few changes I want to make already and I've listed them below. Any other quick thoughts/suggestions?

Kyogre+Ho-oh Team

-I need to add Flare Blitz to Incineroar (was dumb not to have it - going to drop Knock Off for it)
-Ho-oh feels a bit meh (though it is great against Xern)
-I rarely brought Tsareena and when I did it felt difficult to use - Any suggestions for a replacement? (I considered Tapu Lele but didn't like how it got in the way of my own fake out though it does help against Koko by removing terrain).
-Yveltal and Lunala are tough matchups (so is Kyurem-W but I'm less worried about that ha)

I suppose that it's to early to say how viable it is. But it seems to be sorta good anti-meta mon - it's immune to Xerneas, Kyogre, Kartana (w/o Knock off), Koko, Lele, Ludicolo, Tsareena, Solgaleo, Venusaur.
Still weak to Yveltal and worst of all - Incineroar.
Also while immune, it can't do much in return.
One positive thing that I saw when thinking about Shedinja is that it doesn't need to do anything in return if you can isolate 1v1. Due to tiebreaking procedures for VGC you will always win 1v1 (first tiebreaker is HP percentage)

As ck49 pointed out below - it is a percentage of total party pokemon not pokemon remaining. I misread the rules.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Could you post some replays that give examples of things you're frustrated with? VGC is a complex thing to learn, so this will help us pinpoint where exactly it is that you need help

What are some uncommon techs currently being used to beat the most offensive threats in viability?
I used 252 Atk Jolly Volt Tackle Raichu as an offensive tech against Kyogre. It is a guaranteed OHKO on an offensive variant (i.e. anything with max speed/special attack) - its kinda counter-intuitive to use a recoil move on a sash pokemon but picking up a kill is a surprise to opponents and the sash allows a trade against even scarf Kyogre if they aren't bulk invested. You can also abuse Koko's electric terrain to power it up even more to heavily damage Yveltal who needs max HP and at least 76 Def EVs to survive in electric terrain (it is always a 2HKO outside of terrain). It's pretty gimmicky but I have really enjoyed the set so far.

One positive thing that I saw when thinking about Shedinja is that it doesn't need to do anything in return if you can isolate 1v1. Due to tiebreaking procedures for VGC you will always win 1v1 (first tiebreaker is HP percentage).
This is false. The tiebreaker is percentage of team HP reamining, so you will always lose. You will have 1 out of the sum of HP stats on your team, your opponent will have more than 1 most likely.

However, games rarely go to time and the things that carry recovery tend to be the things shedinja doesn't wall. And shedinja can do damage to stuff with shadow claw so games rarely actually go to time even with it.

Best nature for a Venusaur on a Groudon team in moon series: Timid or Modest?
Just not sure if it misses out on crucial KO’s versus crucial outspeeds?

Does anyone have a viable/competitive shedinja team for VGC?
Always been one of my favourites and I’ve messed with a couple of team compositions but struggle to make it work

Netherious

some call me papa neth
is a Community Leader Alumnus
What are the best counters to Primal Kyogre, Primal Groudon, and Mega Rayquaza?
I'd say your best counters to each of those three is...

All three. Rayquaza is by far the most consistent to beat all three, however. Kyogre can check opposing Groudon, Groudon can check opposing Kyogre. Rayquaza checks all three. Unfortunately there really isnt a surefire answer to all three. The closest would be something like Ultra Necrozma, who can OHKO any of them. Hope this helps.

Does anyone have a viable/competitive shedinja team for VGC?
Always been one of my favourites and I’ve messed with a couple of team compositions but struggle to make it work
Shedinja has been in some top teams in recent tournaments, for example:
https://trainertower.com/2019-malaysia-special-event/3rd Kyogre Yveltal Fini Inci Ferrothorn Shedinja
5th Kyogre Xerneas Fini Inci Ferrothorn Shedinja

https://trainertower.com/2019-cannes-france-special-event/
1st Groudon Kyogre Ditto Ludicolo Shedinja Venusaur

https://victoryroad.es/en/2019/01/21/dallas-regs-2019/
26th Groudon Palkia Koko Whimsicott Stakataka Shedinja

I don't know their movesets. Shedinja usually uses Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Ally Switch and Protect. Toxic is also viable.

This article talks a bit more about the top team from Cannes.
https://trainertower.com/state-of-the-metagame-february/

Hi, where would be the best place to ask for Ultra Series team building help/direction. Sun series was my first VGC series and I predictably did terribly at 1397 rating, but after a very rocky start in Moon managed 1510, still not great or anything but a nice improvement. I'd like to get out of the gates a little faster this time and not go 5W-15L

Hi, where would be the best place to ask for Ultra Series team building help/direction. Sun series was my first VGC series and I predictably did terribly at 1397 rating, but after a very rocky start in Moon managed 1510, still not great or anything but a nice improvement. I'd like to get out of the gates a little faster this time and not go 5W-15L
There's some stuff in the works, keep an eye out for it. Teambuilding is hard because we don't really know what the meta looks like yet, it'll be easier after we see the top teams from Berlin Internats. If you're looking for usage stats and sample teams, this is a good site to check out (although it's in Spanish). I'd suggest starting with one of those teams and adjusting it as you get comfortable with it and the meta, and then maybe start building once we have a more concrete idea of what to look for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)