Project VGC Teambuilding Competition - Week 15 (almost here) - Building (undetermined)

Eterna-trap

This was a theory craft I did with some friends a while ago, with Eternatus and Gothitelle as a main core. I did some modifications on what we had for the original plan. Without furder ado, let's jump into it:

:eternatus:

:gothitelle:

The main idea was to trap opponents that didn't have a good matchup onto Eternatus naturally, or didn't have means to stop Cosmic Power from going up. Both sets are standard. With a Poison-type and a Pyschic-type, I needed means to deal with Calyrex-S.

:aegislash:

The idea of Aegislash is to basically threaten the Shadow Horse with Shadow Sneak, while also offering Wide Guard support. Tsareena is not much used on Calyrex-S teams, and I have Rillaboom for Indeedee's terrain. Aegislash also was great on my Xerneas matchup. I opted for a more physical set, of course, because of Shadow Sneak.

:rillaboom:

:incineroar:

:urshifu-rapid-strike:

The boys here balance the team out and provide the remain support needed. Rillaboom and Urshifu-R can threaten Landorus-I with priority, Incineroar abuses Intimidate against Zacian-C, and the 3 provide pivoting for positioning Eternatus safely onto the field.

Watch the team in action!:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series10-1391030960-aistcvr55f7y1rxhevmbgivegw5pvn7pw https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series10-1391031316-rtboiwgwyo1jmaeyeiugtkmh4bqgzfcpw https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series10-1391031487-5r9zfkdff5gfl4bfd6geifl32sm59abpw
(as mentioned earlier, this was still a WIP so some movesets might differ)

Last edited:
Announcement:
I did not know how to react about the last submission resembling a previous team, sorry for that. I'll start to warn next those subs. from now on, so I hope y'all understand it. Anyway, back to Eternatus!

Instructor's Dragon
(yes it's a dramatic name)​
eternatus.png
oranguru.png
ninetales-alolan.png
tornadus-incarnate.png
rillaboom-1.png
galvantula.png

This is my first time making a post like this (hence the flying galvantula) but I thought why not. I've been wanting to try and make a team of my own and this challenge seemed fun so yeah :D

Eternatus isn't a pokemon I know very well or use, but I think I made a pretty fun team here. To introduce this team, Oranguru here knows Instruct. And can have the ability Telepathy which prevents itself from being damaged by adjacent moves like Earthquake, or Sludge Wave. Sludge Wave can be learnt by Eternatus, so if Oranguru does Instruct on Eternatus, it will do Sludge Wave twice. Inflicting double damage on opponents and even having a chance to poison them. And with Life Orb, the damage Eternatus deals will be greater.

(Btw, Dynamax Cannon doesn't work with Instruct. Please be wary of that ehe)

Oh, and Ally Switch is a god send. Just imagine the opponent tries to kill Eternatus with Earth Power, but nope, it's on Oranguru instead. Mindgames are great.

Of course, this isn't easy to pull off. For one, Life Orb will trigger twice if the combo happens. which will cause Eternatus to lose at least 20% HP, which is more than wanted. And two, there's pokemon with Taunt (I am Looking at you Whimsicott) who might Taunt Oranguru and prevent them from using Instruct. And they don't have attack moves either. Mental Herb is on Oranguru to at least cancel the Taunt and give Eternatus or any of the teammates to kill the Taunter. But it's still tricky to pull off.

Just for more coverage, Eternatus has Dynamax Cannon as usual and Flamethrower for the pesky steel types. More importantly, against Zacian. But wait, Zacian might be faster. It might kill Eternatus first. So I will introduce to you the supporting cast.

Tornadus and Galvantula are here to control the speed. You might ask why I didn't choose Regieleki instead, and it's solely because of Sticky Web. Which lowers the speed of grounded pokemon that enter the field by a stage. Icy Wind and Electroweb won't help me forever because they might just switch out. And Tailwind isn't permanent either. So at least Sticky Web can slow them down a bit, unless they have Rapid Spin, for whatever reason.

Still, Tornadus is a great supporter with it's Prankster ability. Tailwind and Icy Wind are there for speed, while Hurricane and Sludge Bomb are just in case he has to go into attack mode for at least a bit of chip damage. Bug Buzz and Thunder on Galvantula is also great. Especially when facing against a Kyogre team. Also don't ask why Wide Lens is on Galvantula. It's personal preference and experience (haha, screw those Thunders.)

Alolan Ninetails can control the weather with Hail, has access to Aurora Veil with Light Clay, and can destroy opponent's pokemon with Moonblast or Blizzard. Icy Wind is also there to, you guessed it, speed control. Can't bring Galvantula and Tornadus all the time yk.

Yes, Rillaboom with Terrain Extender. Solely because I need that healing on Eternatus. I swear the amount of times Eternatus died because of Life Orb made me insane. But that's not the only benefit, as you can tell by Grassy Glide. Oh and Earthquake, well, you can imagine it with Oranguru :]

And yeah, that's basically it. This team definitely has its weaknesses, even with the best efforts to cover it. But when the ball gets rolling, it'll definitely pay off. After playing a lot, I mean a lot, of games with it, it's very fun. Hopefully this team is a tad bit interesting to you maybe >:Db

Last edited:
:eternatus: :grimmsnarl: :regieleki: :rillaboom: :incineroar: :urshifu-rapid strike:
Team: https://pokepast.es/8547dd58326ac1a9
This team probably tops the list as one of my favorite s10 teams, I was expecting Eternatus as this week.

As the spotlight of the team, I chose Eternatus to act as a Meteor Beam sweeper which works well against a majority of the metagame. I chose a more bulky approach to Eternatus bc of Zacian-Crowned. Flamethrower is to hit back at Zacian.

The synergy between Eternatus and Grimmsnarl is immense, Eternatus is has a bulky ev spread so I added a screener to make Eternatus last longer. Thunder Wave is to secure speed control.

Regieleki is for speed control, Rillaboom's grassy terrain heals and deal with Groudon and offers Fake Out, Incineroar gives the team
Intimidate, and Urshifu-rs deals with Lando-I and Lando-t, i.e.

Sorry if this post was shorter than b4, I am proud of making this team too. I hope you enjoy!

The team
I spent about 30 minutes making an explanation for everything just for my cat to turn my chromebook off.

Quick rundown of everything:

:Eternatus: :Life-orb:
Eternatus has very good matchups into a lot of the restricteds, so I could focus on the mathcups it was bad with a little better. 145 special attack, and 130 speed is really good.

:Rillaboom: :Assault-vest: :Crawdaunt: :Lum-berry:
Eternatus was weak to a few things, 2 big ones being the Caly twins. The way I chose to deal with these is Rillaboom, and Crawdaunt. Rillaboom gains terrain control so that Expanding Force won't always KO, and it's min speed so that it can get control over most Indeedee. Crawdaunt resists all of the Calyrex's STAB attacks and can deal big damage to a lot of things with Adaptability.

:Entei: :Safety-goggles: :Stakataka: :Chople-berry:
Eternatus couldn't always 1v1 Xerneas so I needed a way to deal with that. I chose Entei and Stakataka because of Roar, and Gyro ball, as well as them both resisting Fairy type attacks. Originally I had Whirlwind Volcarona instead of Entei, but quickly found out Entei was better. Stakataka can survive a Close Combat from max attack Zacian with Chople.

:Weavile: :Choice-scarf:
The team still wasn't very good into Calyrex-Shadow because I was relying on a 55 special defense. I think Weavile is nice because it also takes care of another big problem being Landorus.

:Eternatus: :Lucario: :INdeedee-f: :Suicune: :INcineroar: :Rillaboom:

This team is built around specs Eternatus and yes it has Eternabeam.

:Eternatus: :Choice Specs:
Space dragon go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And a Modest nature cause I wanted to.

:Lucario: :Focus sash:
Lucario is a Steel-type with Helping Hand meaning it can boost Eternatus's Sludge Wave and not die. It also has Inner Focus and Close Combat which is good combo. Feint is to break protect and try to make Eternatus more threatening and Meteor Mash means that Lucario is not walled by Xerneas.

:INdeedee-f: :Expert belt:
Redirector that checks Calyrex-S with Shadow Ball, I'm pretty sure even with Expert Belt and a modest nature Shadow Ball ain't a guaranteed KO but it should hurt it.

:Suicune: :Sitrus Berry:
Suicune is a Tailwind setter that doesn't instantly die to Zacian-C, sounds good to me.

:Incineroar: :Safety Goggles: :Rillaboom: :Assault vest:
Incineroar is Incineroar and Rillaboom is Rillaboom.

And the winner is... me?
Thanks everyone, did not expect this result XD

Well, the special week is...

A Free S10 week!
With S10 nearing its end, we are going to close off this cycle of the TBC with a free week! Did you miss a week? Your favorite restricted wasn't featured? Feel free to show them here!​

Additional rules:
- The team should be original
- The team must be build around a restricted Pokémon and be unique
- If the team is too similar to an already existing one, it'll be desqualified
- You CANNOT re-submit teams from previous weeks
- Cosmog and Cosmoem are banned to avoid trolls.
- As mentioned, S10.

Submissions go untill Halloween! (Oct 31)
Good Luck!​

Last edited:
This is my favorite team I made in s10: a Hyper Offense Calyrex-Shadow team
This team has done fairly well for me allowing me to peak at 1800 on the s10 and winning a decent amount of sets during the fall scramble.
(Click on team for the paste)
:calyrex-shadow::whimsicott::urshifu::nihilego::Tapu Lele::Entei:

Breakdown:
:calyrex-shadow::life orb:
Calyrex-Shadow is an amazing mon on HO teams, it’s teammates can weaken the opposing team to clear the way for an endgame sweep or caly-s can punch holes early game so it’s teammates can cleanup. Fairly standard set, I opted for double ghost move because wide guard was annoying and Lele can cover psychic moves. The spread allows it to always live a waterspout in rain from scarf kyogre.
:whimsicott::focus sash:
Whimsicott is the speed control on this team with prankster tailwind. It can also support the team by chunking dark types with moonblast and using helping hand to boost damage. Encore is a nice move on whims, especially on HO because it punishes most attempts at stalling out tailwind like substitute,protect, and fake out. Encore is also nice safety net against TR.
:urshifu::choice band:
Urshifu-Single-Strike is usually overlooked due to its water type brethren being at the forefront of the metagame. But this team values Urshifu’s highly spammable dark stab which hits key targets like amoonguss and suicune without having to worry about intimidate. Urshifu can also dispatch incineroar with Choice Band Close Combat which can clear the way for calyrex. U-Turn is the 4th move of choice to allow the team to reposition if necessary.
:nihilego::power herb:
The designated Xerneas counter on this team. Nihilego does incredibly well into most Xerneas teams while also being able to dispatch incineroar and rillaboom to clear the way for calyrex. The EVs allow it to live a grassy glide from the rare miracle seed rillaboom, the EVs in spatk and speed barely allow nihilego to get the jump on Landorus-I while still boosting spatk with beast boost. The rest of the EVs are dumped into spdef to lower the chances of Xerneas 2hkoing with +2 moonblast.
:Tapu Lele::choice scarf:
Tapu Lele provides psychic terrain protecting the team from priority while also being able to override opposing terrain if necessary. Scarf Lele was chosen here for its ability to check popular scarfers like urshifu and kyogre. It can hit assault vest mons hard with psyshock while moonblast chunks dark types that would attempt to counter calyrex. Dazzling gleam is a nice option for spread damage if needed. Natures madness allows it to weaken opposing mons for its teammates to finish it off. For example, natures madness into astral barrage on Zacian picks up the KO where otherwise calyrex would have to rely on Zacian already being chipped significantly or being unable to kill Zacian itself which means it wouldn’t get the boost from its ability. The EVs allow it to always live wicked blow from focus sash urshifu.
:Entei::assault vest:
Entei is one of the most valuable mons on this team being able to check incineroar, rillaboom, and zacian. Entei generally has a good matchup into most Zacian teams if you can remove the water type on the team as it can tank most hits and fire back with super effective moves. Assault vest gives it the added benefit of checking opposing calyrex-shadow. Entei’s spread allows it to always avoid the 2hko form jolly zacian’s behemoth blade.
I had a lot of fun with this team throughout the series and I’m sad I didn’t get to showcase it that much in fall scramble top cut. Results aside, I’m still happy that I got the opportunity to share this team that I enjoyed so much before the series ended.

:ss/Groudon: :ss/tapu lele: :ss/mandibuzz: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/Incineroar: :ss/Nihilego: You can click on the models for the paste
Specs lele sun

What is one of the biggest threats to sun? :Kommo-o: Cowmoo how to destroy Cowmoo, with strong Specs Fairy Moonblast.

:Groudon: :sitrus berry: Groudon is strong.

:Tapu lele: :Choice specs: I do actually like Tapu Lele beyond the cowmoo matchup its strong Specs attacks are simply threatening, incineroar and Groudon can help cover its weakness to the formats common Steel-types.

:mandibuzz: :grassy seed: One of the very worst matchups for Groudon teams can be Calyrex-S, Mandibuzz makes Calyrex-S one of if not this teams best relevant matchup with how good it is into it alongside the other Pokemon on this team. Mandibuzz can also provide Tailwind for this fairly fast team and this Mandibuzz has Grassy Seed to take advantage of Rillaboom's Grassy terrain this can help it use roost to win in the end game.

:Incineroar: :safety Goggles: I had another team similar too this with Entei, however the potential sucky ladder Calyrex-Ice teams can dumpster this otherwise. Safety Goggles allows Incineroar to swap into Spore from Amoonguss and Sleep Powder from Venusaur

:Rillaboom: :assault vest: Being a Groudon team this team of course is vulenrable to Kyogre Rillaboom helps in that matchup significantly. I run a speedy bulky Rillaboom as to have bulk and to not be outspeed by Tsareena.

:Nihilego: :power herb: Xerneas weak team? Introducing Nihilego which is probably the best Xerneas check asides Stakataka and Zacian-C. It could destroy potentially problematic Fire-types to the team such as Incineroar and Entei.

i originally didn't want to post a team for this one, but at the last second i said "yea ykw frick it." so here's the team i've been using for the longest time in vgc10 (which isn't long because i only started playing vgc for like, a month or so?)

Since i've been trying to use pics but they ended up being wonky, i'll just use funky words to make the post at least a bit interesting.

The Guy Who Would Probably Have Lost Against Kyogre 1v1 if Rayquaza Didn't Step In
yea theres not rly much to say about groudon. except it has wide lens because i hate, i hate that imperfect accuracy. i'd rather be a bit weaker than miss my moves 1729282928 times.

Yall, I think it cuts useless objects cut useless object
Kartana actually brings a lot to the table despite being better in singles. Thanks to it's already good speed against most pokemons, i thought it'd be better to have its crit rate heightened up instead of having it choice locked and all. Leaf blade and night slash go brrr

That Butt Tho.
Naganadel has great speed, boosted by its ability as well, but pitiful-ish spatk imo. I didn't want it choice locked either because I AM NOT CAPABLE so i gave it a life orb. It can at least 2hko or even ohko the two calyrexs with dark pulse depending on the set.. if it manages to outspeed and survive.

Monke. Monke go boom boom on drum.
do i really have to explain rillaboom. do i.

Oh god those legs are comin
I honestly was surprised at how useful grimmsnarl was in this team. The double screens, para, and even spirit break that manages to knock out other pokemon in one hit (somehow, i still dont know how like i only gave it 4 atk evs). Those legs do be working

Intimidate me. I Dare You.
You might be wondering, why does milotic have no recover or coil. well. not only am i still bad at vgc, but every time milotic is first, they ALWAYS target it. Like, cmon man. also haze is for xerneas because its so easy to predict it sometimes. Sometimes.

and thats it! i'm still learning how to vgc properly, and i'm even considering to see if i can join the winter league (which i highly doubt it) to test my skills. but this team is close to my heart, even though its kinda jank :Db

Standard Zacian Team
I had fun making this team, and that's what matters :)

:Zacian-crowned: :Rusted-sword:
Imprison Is funny, max speed to tie, or just outspeed other Zacian. It also locks down Protect.

:Incineroar: :Life-orb:
I'm tired of seeing the same exact 5 moves on Incin, so I added Fire Blast and Dark Pulse.

:Rillaboom: (:Amoonguss:):Sitrus-berry:
I wanted to use some form of setting up, and Bulk Up Rillaboom was looking kinda cool. I used the Evs that I use for my Amoonguss sets.

:Urshifu-rapid-strike: :Leftovers:
Sub-Punch has always been interesting to me, so I put it on this team.

:Landorus: :Choice-band:
Fissure >:)

:Whimsicott: :Mental-herb:
This one is actually pretty standard, I'm sorry :(

This is the best team anybody could use for series 10.
EDIT: I got explosion mixed up with self-destruct on lando.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)