Project VGC Teambuilding Competition - Week 15 (almost here) - Building (undetermined)

:Calyrex-shadow: :Suicune: :Mienshao: :Incineroar: :Nihilego: :Rillaboom: General idea of this team is Suicune and Calyrex-S. Having Suicune, Incineroar, and Rillaboom on the team means its decently bulky and should be better equipped to handle Trick Room than some other Calyrex-S teams.

:Calyrex-shadow: :Life Orb:
Broken Onion ghost horse. I chose Psychock for an OHKO onto Nihilego, and I chose Substitute as Calyrex-S's massive threat level can often lure the opponent into playing passively.

:Suicune: :Sitrus berry:
The general idea of the team is Suicune and Calyrex-S, as Suicune is a Tailwind setter that can chip Incineroar and isn't deathly afraid of Calyrex-S two Pokemon that Calyrex-S can struggle with. I chose Helping Hand to help Calyrex-S get kills as it can often come short of KOs versus bulkier Pokemon. Roar is to try and help versus Xerneas, although Suicune doesn't have Safety Goggles but it can still help.

:Mienshao: :Focus Sash:
Mienshao is great alongside Calyrex-S as it almost always has been with its Close Combat to thwart troublesome Dark-types. Knock Off is chosen to try and help versus opposing Calyrex-S. Feint Can punish passive play which is good considering the massive threat level of Calyrex-S + Mienshao can often cause your opponent to play passively.

:Nihilego: :Power herb:
Nihilego is important here to thwart Yveltal, Xerneas, and Mandibuzz, which are problematic for this team.

:Incineroar: :Safety Goggles:
Incineroar with Safety Goggles is able to absorb Spore, and just helps with checking a lot of other stuff like Rillaboom, Zacian-C, and opposing Calyrex-S. I chose Throat Chop on Incineroar so that it can OHKO Calyrex-S.

:Rillaboom: :Assault Vest:
I wanted something to help in the Kyogre matchup what better way to do that then use Assault Vest Rillaboom, which also gives this team a Regieleki switch-in. I chose a fast EV spread for faster Fake Out, and Wood Hammer still destroys Kyogre.

:calyrex-shadow: :sylveon: :araquanid: :incineroar: :rillaboom: :regieleki:
https://pokepast.es/921b43e0adf06c6a
One of my favorite Calyrex-Shadow teams I've made in s10, and a few fun pokemon.

Not much to explain here, Calyrex is a fast offensive attacker with a somewhat standard set. The only difference I've made to the set is adding Round onto the set which I'll explain in a second.

Like I was saying previously, Round is on Calyrex because of Sylveon goes immediately after that move when it's using Round. In addition, Sylveon's ability changes Round's typing to fairy which also gets doubled due to the second Round. This move gets increased by 1.2x due to the abiltity. Since Round is a sound attack it bypasses sub and boosts Sylveon's special attack by one stage.

I was looking for a water type and my first idea was Urshifu-rs, but I would get destroyed by Kyogre and Rillaboom. I was scrolling down and noticed that Araquanid is the best viable option. Water Bubble makes it poweful in addition to Mystic Water which increases Araquanid's power even further. Leech Life is stab and Wide Guard is a great method to shield against pokemon such as Kyogre.

I just slapped these pokemon on because they work well with the current team I'm building. Regieleki is speed control, Rillaboom is the terrain setter, and Incineroar is the team's Intimidate user.

I'm actually proud of what I built today and I hope you enjoy the team!

glory to lando-t
In a moment of nostalgia I had the desire to make good old physical scarf lando-t work good again.

Physical scarf lando-t, the OG. Not used very much this season out of a real lack of good flying/levitating mons that synergise well with it, pelipper being an exception. Often deals a real large amount of damage just by spamming EQ and rock slide. U-turn chunks moltres-g and other darks which are a pain in the butt for caly-s teams while pivoting intimidate, and brutal swing is there to surprise other caly-s teams. Jolly to outspeed max speed caly-s.

Standard life orb caly-s. Nothing too special but I put haze on it to deal with things like cosmic power eternatus and the occasional chansey, since that third moveslot wasn't really doing anything anyway.

Whimsicott + caly-s is a classic combo that works quite well vs unprepared teams, especially a lot of those blind tornogre leads. Grass knot > moonblast because it kills water ursh better and chunks kyogre really hard. I don't bring whims as much since I realised pelipper can also set tailwind and has wide guard.

Pelipper is really good this season. It's stats aren't anything amazing but it surprisingly hits pretty hard. It's a water type that isn't deathly scared of rilla, it has tailwind and wide guard, it kills incin, and it's a real solid groudon counter. It synergises real good with lando-t and having them both on the field doesn't leave many gaps in typing.

Tapu Fini was put in to reset grassy terrain so that lando can spam eq better, and to deal with urshifu-dark and moltres-g. It does the job admirably.

This slot used to be amoonguss, as a sort of blanket answer to xern and trick room in one. However I don't really see much xern anymore, not enough to justify a whole slot, and incin improves the rillaboom matchup while still being an answer to trick room with roar. However this leaves the team without a fairy resist which makes me rather uncomfortable. It also makes regieleki just that bit more annoying. I've considered entei for this slot, or swapping out whimsicott for amoong again, or both, but those still need playtesting. Please reply if you have anything to say on this.

Importable

Yes I am using a Hail team! It's actually pretty good: I hit 1400+ with it on ladder earlier though I got knocked down by some hax and bad predictions. Anywho, let's get down to business.

The star of my team, Calyrex can serve two purposes. One: to smash some holes in the opponents team, or to clean late game. Standard SubProtect set, nothing new here other than the item. Safety Goggles gives me immunity to my own Hail, as well as letting me dodge Spore and Rage Powder. My hot take: this thing is not an A+ Rank Pokemon. If your opponent has any Dark type, it's dead. And what Pokemon's on 3/4rs of all teams (including mine)?

The Hail setter of my team, it also sets Aurora Veil, making my Pokemon deceptively bulky. Blizzard is a nice reliable STAB move that hits surprisingly hard. Moonblast is a reliable STAB that hits Dark types hard. Even if I don't have Arctozolt, I can still run Ninetales as a lead paired with either of my Fake Out users to guarantee Aurora Veil goes up. It's not very bulky anyway so I just run max Speed max SpA. Light Clay gives me more screen time.

The Pokemon designed to abuse the Hail, it's the abomination Arctozolt! While base 100 Attack is nothing special, if Talonflame taught me anything it's that powerful STABs hurt, even if your Attack stat isn't too high. Bolt Beak has a massive 255 power factoring in STAB, and cleaves through anything that doesn't resist it. It OHKOes bulkless Zacian and, if it can avoid Intimidate, specially defensive Incineroar after some chip. The reason I went with Arctozolt over Arctovish is A: it's a little bit stronger and B: it made my team weaker to both Rillaboom and Regieleki. EVs focus on power and Speed. Life Orb gives me more power. A Jolly nature lets it outrun Calyrex-Shadow at +2.

Now, Incineroar was a big problem for my team, so I searched for a solution. Enter Mienshao, which provides both an Incineroar counter and a great check to opposing Calyrex-S as it can Wide Guard to stop it firing off Astral Barrages. Feint lets it break through opposing Protects.

I needed Tailwind support, and originally I had Whimsicott but that made me even weaker to Incineroar. So I swapped it out for Suicune and never looked back. It also beats the tiger so long as it's not running Snarl. Tailwind and Icy Wind both serve as vital speed control, while Snarl lets me debuff opposing special attackers. The EVs let it outrun Regieleki after Tailwind, while a Wacan Berry takes care of its Electric weakness.

Finally the Pokemon that is on nearly every team. My team tended to struggle with Zacian, opposing Calyrex-S and Rillaboom. What checks all three? Why Incineroar of course? Fake Out, Flare Blitz and Parting Shot are on all Incineroar, I went with Throat Chop so I could always OHKO opposing Calyrex-S. The HP and Defence EVs let it always live Mienshao's Close Combat, with the rest placed in SpD for more mixed bulk.

:calyrex-shadow: :sylveon: :araquanid: :incineroar: :rillaboom: :regieleki:
https://pokepast.es/921b43e0adf06c6a
One of my favorite Calyrex-Shadow teams I've made in s10, and a few fun pokemon.

Not much to explain here, Calyrex is a fast offensive attacker with a somewhat standard set. The only difference I've made to the set is adding Round onto the set which I'll explain in a second.

Like I was saying previously, Round is on Calyrex because of Sylveon goes immediately after that move when it's using Round. In addition, Sylveon's ability changes Round's typing to fairy which also gets doubled due to the second Round. This move gets increased by 1.2x due to the abiltity. Since Round is a sound attack it bypasses sub and boosts Sylveon's special attack by one stage.

I was looking for a water type and my first idea was Urshifu-rs, but I would get destroyed by Kyogre and Rillaboom. I was scrolling down and noticed that Araquanid is the best viable option. Water Bubble makes it poweful in addition to Mystic Water which increases Araquanid's power even further. Leech Life is stab and Wide Guard is a great method to shield against pokemon such as Kyogre.

I just slapped these pokemon on because they work well with the current team I'm building. Regieleki is speed control, Rillaboom is the terrain setter, and Incineroar is the team's Intimidate user.

I'm actually proud of what I built today and I hope you enjoy the team!
give some credit to Raineko

ToastNoButter

is a Forum Moderator
https://pokepast.es/a8b3ce386c9bd955

Howdy y'all, I decided to finally submit a team for this competition again since Calyrex-Shadow is probably my favorite restricted to use. Standard mons were used besides Tyranitar, but the team is fun to pilot and satisfying to win with.

Teambuilding Process:

:calyrex-shadow: :tapu fini:
First is these two. After seeing a lot of hyper offensive Caly teams, I wanted to try my hand at a more defensive, slow-paced team. I decided on pairing the horse with Tapu Fini, as I liked the idea of using Nature's Madness to chip down would-be checks such as Incineroar and Assault Vest Rillaboom, as well as generally anything that would be able to take an Astral Barrage from Caly. I chose Life Orb to have stronger attacks while still being able to use Protect, and I didn't mind the recoil because I only want Caly to take one or two hits max. Protect, Astral Barrage, and eventually Psyshock for getting around Assault Vest and specially defensive mons were good moves. Then there's Calm Mind. This move is definitely the one that I'm the least sure about, but it helps against Snarl spam as well as things such as Calm Mind Kyogre, and with the support of Incineroar and Amoonguss it isn't super hard to get a boost, which can give the boost needed to KO chipped targets earlier and start snowballing. The biggest thing that I wanted Calm Mind to do was to tank a Dazzling Gleam from boosted Xerneas, which is the team's worst matchup, so that I could get a Psyshock off into Xerneas while next to Amoonguss. Not the most solid plan, but it helped more than Taunt did in practice.

For Tapu Fini, Nature's Madness was a given for me, and I wanted Icy Wind and Moonblast for speed control and more chip damage, especially on dark types. I initially had FIni's last move as Heal Pulse, which helped out occasionally, but I decided that I wasn't clicking it enough and decided to try Light Screen instead. This was definitely the right choice, as it made the Kyogre and Yveltal matchups better, while sometimes being useful in other situations such as against opposing Tapu Fini.

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 180 Def Tapu Fini in Grassy Terrain: 152-180 (85.8 - 101.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mystic Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 20+ SpD Tapu Fini in Rain: 69-81 (38.9 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:incineroar: :amoonguss:
These two are really good at their jobs, which are disrupting and allowing Caly to get on the field and get Astral Barrage off and Tapu Fini to get Nature's Madness off. Both of these are pretty standard sets. Incineroar has the usual Flare Blitz, Fake Out, and pivot move as Parting Shot, and I have Snarl over Throat Chop or Darkest Lariat because I liked being able to get around redirection with opposing Caly-s and have more utility against mons like Landorus-Incarnate and Regieleki, although I'd be willing to test Throat Chop. Amoonguss went through a few moveset changes before I landed on the moves it has now. Rage Powder redirection and Spore during terrain wars with Rillaboom and against Trick Room were great, Protect is good for positioning purposes, and Sludge Bomb chips grasses and Xerneas. Rocky Helmet gave me chip on Urshifu-Rapid-Strike that I needed for finishing it with Astral Barrage from Caly, and it also helped chip mons like Incineroar, Rillaboom, and Zacian-Crowned into Caly's range.

252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 236 HP / 116 Def Incineroar: 54-65 (27 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. 236 HP / 116 Def Incineroar: 178-210 (89 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 236 HP / 116 Def Incineroar: 156-187 (78 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 236 HP / 60+ SpD Incineroar: 55-65 (27.5 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Mystic Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 148 HP / 220 Def Amoonguss on a critical hit: 66-81 (31.7 - 38.9%) -- approx. 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mystic Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 148 HP / 140+ SpD Amoonguss in Rain: 89-105 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

:landorus-therian:
With the four I had, I thought I looked weak to Regieleki, Zacian-Crowned, and Groudon, so Lando was great here. Scarf allowed me to threaten Zacian before it moved, pivot in and out on things like Groudon and Rillaboom, and gave me some more speed control. Essentially used Briganti's spread that he used for World Cup Open but with Rock Tomb over Bulldoze because I didn't have any Bulldoze immunities.

-1 252+ Atk Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 36 HP / 140 Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 52-63 (30.7 - 37.2%) -- 74.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 36 HP / 140 Def Landorus-Therian: 108-127 (63.9 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. 36 HP / 140 Def Landorus-Therian: 43-51 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

:tyranitar:
And to end it, the oddball choice. I initially had Urshifu-Single-Strike as a separate hard hitter that would benefit from the team's support while acting as a "check" to opposing Caly-S, in quotes because it didn't do that very well at that, especially with Choice Scarf taken by. I also noted that the team had a hard time switching into flying type moves, which while not common would definitely hurt in matchups like TornOgre, but I was more worried about Yveltal, naturally Caly's biggest restricted counter. So I tried Tyranitar. Protect and Rock and Dark STABs are all standard, or at least were standard before it fell out of the meta. For the last move I wanted to try something weird: Whirlpool. With sand and Binding Band boosted Whirlpool eating away at an opposing mon, after landing (hopefully; 85% accuracy can only do so much) and a Protect the next turn, the opposing mon would have taken 44%. This was amazing chip damage, but I also liked the trapping ability. Yveltal is usually on teams that can have easy switch ins into Tyranitar's rock move such as Stakataka or physically defensive Landorus-Therian or Amoonguss in a pinch, but Whirlpool would both keep Yveltal trapped and punish a defensive switch the opponent made. Tyranitar's sand would also come in handy in breaking potential sash on opposing Calyrex-Shadow and Mienshao, and even broke Lunala's Shadow Shield after a turn, something I hadn't even considered when trying the mon out. Tyranitar also has potential to help in weather wars against Kyogre and Groudon, although this would be more likely in a best of 3 situation as a secondary mode. I was initially skeptical of Whirlpool and was open to changing it, but it ended up pulling its weight when it needed to, and I wasn't finding myself missing items other than Binding Band. One final note, I gave Tyranitar 29 speed ivs to make it as fast as possible while underspeeding min speed Indeedee-F so Payback would hit harder consistently.

252+ SpA Mystic Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 174-206 (84 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Tyranitar: 174-205 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 168-200 (81.1 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Tyranitar in Sand through Light Screen: 180-212 (86.9 - 102.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mystic Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Tyranitar on a critical hit: 180-216 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO

Despite taking a long time to build teams usually, I'm happy with how this team turned out, and I hope you enjoyed reading the report and maybe even enjoy using it.

Hello VGC ! Today I finally got a good idea for the teambuilding comp ! Wish me luck ! I mean who doesn’t like a Gamer Panda ?

Presenting ...

1633218065395.png1633218003933.png
1633218155759.png
1633218003933.png1633218065395.pngBulky Pangoro Offense !1633218065395.png1633218003933.png1633218155759.png1633218003933.png1633218065395.png

Teambuilding Process -

Current Team :
1633201786891.png
+ 1633218003933.png

This Idea is very simple Caly-S is weak to dark types which Pangoro demolishes. But why Pangoro ? Well its simple its the best (sorry mienshao) fighting type for a Vest and can still wield Scrappy/Inner Focus. Panda gets a few nice moves like snarl and Rock Tomb while it obliterates Calyrexs with its Foul Plays. But still Right at this moment I need a Yvetal Check 0_0.

Current Team : 1633201786891.png + 1633218003933.png +
1633201823022.png

Zapdos is pretty self explanatory, it kills yvetal without giving it to much hp from Oblivion Wing. Zapdos is what made me commit to bulky offense. (If it was eleki this would look like Ho but with panda over dark shifu). The next days were a bunch of scrambling. I tried so many different variations (these were some) Panda + Caly + Nihi + Lando(t) + P2 + Rilla, or (First 2) + Rilla + Zapdos + Poli + Tapu Lele. After all of that I was still committed to bulky offense.

Current Team : 1633201786891.png + 1633218003933.png + 1633201823022.png +
1633201853047.png
+
1633201925498.png

Still experimenting I decided Amoon or Rilla always had to be there one providing offense and the other one defense. I was really weak to Caly-I at the time (and still am) so refusing the Incin card I decided to go with Entei. This got me a Xern check if I equipped it with Goggles. Amoonguss was pretty much always on here at the time so that meant I definitely wasn't scared of Xern. Around here is when I decided to have Wisp on Caly-S.

Current Team : 1633201786891.png +1633218003933.png + 1633201823022.png + 1633201853047.png + 1633201925498.png +
1633215695736.png

Milotic or Politoed was my struggle at the moment, Milo gave yet another Incin check (and more bulk) but poli offered a more offensive approach which pretty much sold my team to offense. I decided Expert Belt Milotic was what I wanted since it killed Lando-I with only 20 and Modest.

Calcs -

+1 252 Atk burned Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 12 HP / 180 Def Calyrex-Shadow: 76-90 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 12 HP / 180 Def Calyrex-Shadow in Grassy Terrain: 82-97 (46.3 - 54.8%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 12 HP / 4 SpD Calyrex-Shadow: 148-175 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Lunala Moonblast vs. 196 HP / 228 SpD Assault Vest Pangoro: 152-180 (77.9 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mystic Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 196 HP / 228 SpD Assault Vest Pangoro in Rain: 127-150 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

60+ Atk Pangoro Close Combat vs. 236 HP / 32 Def Incineroar: 200-236 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

60 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rillaboom: 210-248 (101.4 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 44 HP / 100 Def Zapdos: 80-94 (46.7 - 54.9%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 44 HP / 252 SpD Zapdos: 127-150 (74.2 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 132+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Milotic: 178-210 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

28+ SpA Expert Belt Milotic Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 166-197 (101.2 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 244 HP / 204 SpD Amoonguss: 114-136 (51.8 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mystic Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 204 SpD Amoonguss in Rain: 91-108 (41.3 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 244 HP / 204 SpD Amoonguss: 113-133 (51.3 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 76 HP / 108 SpD Entei: 131-154 (65.5 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Sacred Sword vs. 76 HP / 244 Def Entei: 83-98 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Hope you had fun using this team !

Cya :psyglad: !

Stall is good unless its Chansey

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)