Project VGC Teambuilding Competition - Week 15 (almost here) - Building (undetermined)

Cowmoo Zacian-C
:Zacian-crowned: :Kommo-o: :Rillaboom: :incineroar: :Landorus: :Volcarona:
Click on the sprites for the team

:Zacian-crowned: :rusted Sword: Not much to explain here Zacian-C is broke!

:Kommo-o: :Leftovers: Cowmoo can be a pretty threatening win condition with Iron Defense and its STAB Body Press. it matches up well into Urshifu-R, Incineroar, and Regieleki which Zacian-C appreciates. Rock Tomb can help provide speed control for Zacian-C and hit Volcarona. Max Special attack Modest Water Spout never 2HKOs.

:Rillaboom: :Assault Vest: Rillaboom is pretty self explanatory helps in the Kyogre matchup a ton, and is just good Pokemon.

:Incineroar: :Iapapa Berry: Cowmoo's Overcoat gives me more leniency in terms of not running Safety Goggles onto Incineroar, allowing me to run a berry on it. Incineroar is Incineroar and is useful in almost if not any matchup but is particularly useful in the Zacian-C ditto and vs Calyrex-Shadow.

:Landorus: :Life Orb: Landorus has a Ground-typing to provide an immunity to Regieleki and it has rock coverage to slam Volcarona which is something I was concerned about.

:Volcarona: :Sitrus berry: Volcarona acts as a redirector and Zacian-c check it can redirect and help Cowmoo, Landorus, or Zacian-C set up I chose Quiver Dance in order to have improve my matchup in the Zacian-C ditto.

Last edited:
:zacian-crowned::landorus::rillaboom::mienshao::tapu_koko::tornadus:
this team is built around zacian + koko clicking natures madness and strong attacks to remove key targets. feint mienshao also lets the offensive mons on my team deal damage by ignoring protect. tornadus serves as a dedicated taunt and speed control option for the team. prankster tailwind giving my team huge advantages to push their offence. goggles lets me taunt or tailwind without fear of spore and rage powder. rillaboom also acts as a kyogre check and av koko lets you identify if kyogre is scarf or not through ability priority, while surviving scarf spout and even specs after an electroweb.

https://pokepast.es/a88170352d2beb52 chansey zacian cause why not, i went through 7 variatians of this team and honestly this might be the end of all those teams so i hope ya'll like it, aight time for the team report i guess (sorry if this isnt formal enough its friggin chansey)

:chansey:
chansey is the first mon on this team and the core of it all, its a standard chansey set thats bulky and can just do things with seismic toss the onyl problem is that its walled by ghost types but there is a solution to that i will get to later.

:blissey:
probably the most recent addition to this team, blissey acts as a secondary wall if chansey is to ever die on the field its just chansey but with a bit less bulk and leftovers.

:shuckle:
its shuckle like what am i supposed to say it just does the funny thing with guard split and quick claw theres nothing to it, its a standard set with infestation for trapping and chip damage.

:shedinja:
now this is where stuff gets interesting if you havent noticed i'm not sash i'm ring target shedinja which just tricks the ring target onto a ghost type or something and then now chansey can hit the ghost type takes some setup but when it happens its cool and relieving

:tapu_lele:
tapu lele is here for coverage with stab fairy moves and shadow ball as well as providing taunts onto other taunters it also sets psychic terrain which allows for priority taunt from mons like tornadus to just not happen

:zacian:
imprison zacian is back and its here because sacred sword ignores minimized so by imprisoning that opposing zacians can do basically nothing which is sogood for chansey since it eliminates the biggest threat on any team

and that was the team report pls vote for me but its okay if you dont cause this is chansye and i know you hate it

Zacian-C and Mandibuzz
I've decided to use Mandibuzz for this week's teambuilding competition so, lets get started:​

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/ac1a8eba618dd9a5

Teambuilding Process
:zacian-crowned: As the main pokemon on the team, Zacian-Crowned is a great pokemon due to its huge power and speed with above average bulk supporting it. My set focuses more on bulk which can live attacks from numerous pokemon and still have the potential to ohko notable pokemon.

:mandibuzz: Mandibuzz is a great dark type but, due to Yveltal's return in Series 10, Mandibuzz has a hard time competing with it. I made use of the advantages Mandibuzz has over Yveltal with one of them being not using up a restricted slot. This can be achieved by using Zacian-C's common partner RiIllaboom to get a defense boost by Grassy Seed. Tailwind can help the team by getting a jump on your openents.

:rillaboom: This was obvious because it was stated above that Rillaboom was a common partner for Zacian-C. Nothing different to explain here because it offers priority and good support for the team.

:incineroar: You probably seen this coming but this isn't the usual set, Assualt Vest offers greater longevity to Incineroar which allows it to get switches more accurately. Throat Chop is to prevent Incineroar from using Parting Shot and the EVs allow Incineroar to survive from pokemon it wouldn't usually live from.

:urshifu-rapid strike: Urshifu-rs is a great mon to the team because of the only two weaknesses of Zacian-C get hit super-effectively by its water type attacks. Urshifu-rs can also abuse Mandibuzz's Tailwind to get the jump on pokemon like Regieleki, Zacian-C, Calyrex-S, and less notable pokemon.

:landorus: This gives me and option for a special attacker and a ground immunity which I was looking for. Sheer Force and Life Orb is gives it a huge multiplier on its attacks. Just like Urshifu-rs, Landorus-I can also abuse Tailwind.

This is probably my favorite Zacian-C build right now and I hope you can have a good experience with it.​

ManooPanoo

Underratedness is overrated
The fuck did u expect? Unique shit? I'm not nearly smart enough for that!

:zacian-crowned: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :rillaboom: :incineroar: :regieleki: :landorus:

Let's start with the core I built around first

:sm/urshifu-rapid-strike: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/Incineroar:

The FWG core of some of the best mons in the game. This core covers a lot of stuff and is very easy to slot in on teams. Enough said. Although this struggles a lot with Xern which is addressed with

:ss/zacian-crowned:
Zacian-Crowned @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Intrepid Sword
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Behemoth Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Play Rough
- Protect

This pokemon almost always forces xern out/for it to stay in the back and hide. And it's also fucking busted and appreciates it's checks and counters being removed by the fwg core.

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Focus Sash
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Electroweb
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Regieleki was added here for my Tornogre matchup and speed control which helps out a lot with this team. And is still a stellar pokemon even without max. It too, appreciates the FWG core.

:ss/Landorus:
Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Landorus has a few good MUs here like Volcarona and a Zac killer that doesn't have base 50 def and doesn't get sworded. Ok I legit forgot why Lando is here sorry for my gross incompetence

Just a basic Zac C team. Not surprised if this doesn't win.

Feels good to be back, I took a break from VGC for quite awhile and man did I miss it.
https://pokepast.es/dbc6d76419d74b4e

:zacian-crowned: :politoed: :ludicolo: :gothitelle: :landorus-therian: :incineroar:

:zacian-crowned: - Zacian is one of my favorite restricted mons to use at the moment. It's typing is my favorite part about it holding the same type combination as one of my all time favorite mega evolution in Mega-Mawile. If any of you have played VGC 2018 or even 2014 and 15 you've seen the combination of gothitelle and mawile being paired together to the trap the opponent in with shadow tag and unleash powerful attacks with Mawile. Same could be said about this duo with zacian being even stronger and faster than mega mawile. I had a tough time choosing between substitute and Wild Charge as a final move, I ended up deciding on Wild Charge to better help with the match up into mons like yveltal and kyogre

:politoed: :ludicolo: - The next 2 team members I chose were politoed and luicolo, in past formats these 2 were often paired with mega mawile to threaten mons like landorus and incineroar while reducing fire type attacks into mawile. Ludicolo applys fake out pressure while also having an amazing offensive type combination in water and grass. Politoed sets the rain for both zacian and ludicolo and also packs quite a punch with rain boosted scalds

:gothitelle: - Gothitelles ability in shadow tag makes it quite a pain for opponents, being trapped in with a mon as fast and powerful as zacian is never fun for the opponent. Gothitelle is another fake out user and can even put opponents to sleep with its hypnosis attack (which hits way more often then any other 60% accuare move)

:Landorus-Therian: :Incineroar: - The last 2 team members are the basic incin lando combination, I chose this combo soley because of a 2018 team that had the same 6 but with mega mawile over zacian. which was my inspiration for this entire team. Incin and landorus are great mons for slowing opponents down like calyrex shadow and opposing zacian with either their intimidate ability or just their great natural bulk.

Hope you guys enjoyed the team! I know I had a lot of fun making it.

Last edited:
:sm/zacian-crowned: :sm/rillaboom: :sm/clawitzer: :sm/incineroar: :sm/tapu koko: :sm/altaria:
Evelyn's Terrain Madness (click Sprites for the team)
You guys didn't think I would participate, right? Well, y'all wrong! Today I wanted to bring you guys a fun team with 2 unique Pokémon that could catch people off-guard. My ideas were to use Zacian together with a Dragon-type to form a balanced core, play a pivoting game controlling the pace of the game with Intimidates and Fake Out. I also, for fun, wanted to use some Pokémon I like to photograph in Pokémon Snap because I am addicted to that game. Anyways, onto the team:

1628861242430.png

Zacian set is pretty much standard. I just stole my Series 8 spread, because I was not feeling doing another one.

1628861314038.png

Rillaboom gave me Grassy Terrain, while also being part of my pivoting core and giving me Fake Out pressure. I stole the spread from my SPL teammate AuraRayquaza (shoutouts to him). Survives Zacian's Behemoth Blade.

1628861431501.png

Clawitzer is the first weird choice. I wanted a Water-type, so I considered Urshifu-R, Swampert, but I ended up with Clawitzer. What makes me want to use Clawitzer was its super powerful Terrain Pulse, plus it had some cool moves, such as Flip Turn and Icy Wind. I considered first time to put Heal Pulse, but I didn't want to give up the Assault Vest, so I just played a defensive AV. Survives +2 Xerneas Moonblast and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide.

1628861706872.png

Incineroar.

1628861587655.png

I wanted a fast and hard-hitting Pokémon. I considered Pheromosa and Regieleki, but, considering I was running Terrain Pulse Clawitzer, I decided to put Tapu Koko to offer Clawitzer more coverage. Tapu Koko outspeeds Regieleki by 3 points with its bump in Speed, max SpA and the remaining I put in bulk

1628861723108.png

Here is my last choice. Altaria offered me a bulky Tailwind, and Cloud Nine was great for the Groudon and Kyogre matchups I was struggling with. Last but not least, it offered me Ground-type immunity I was needing and it wasn't weak to Regieleki. This spread survives a Modest Choice Specs Regieleki's Thunderbolt and a Zacian's Play Rough with the Grassy Seed. Feather Dance to lower the opponent's Attack (I considered Breaking Swipe, but Zacian was immune to it)

See the team in action!:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series10-1395797047

1628862023229.png
1628862037055.png

Last edited:

yone

Herv the One.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
:Zacian: :Torkoal: :Regieleki: :Aegislash: :Venusaur: :Landorus:
(Click on sprites to open the pokepast)

So I wanted to make a sun based team.
In the build of this team, I tried to respond positively to most of the matchups that we face in the current metagame. I made sure to take into account the rain matchup, the calyrex-shadow/psyspam matchup (Lele+Calyrex) and the Trick Room matchup. These are the 3 matchups that I used to build the team.
No need to explain Zacian's role in the team, except that he is totally offensive here.
Then, Torkoal, our sun setter, with no investment in speed in case we have to deal with a Trick Room, the addition of Clear Smog allows us to come in and bother Xerneas once he is boosted.
Regieleki serves as a pivot and at the same time as a special big tapper for all matchups, indispensable in this team.
Aegislash and its access to Wide Guard avoids us to be 6-0 by Calyrex-Ice and without investment in speed it allows us to better manage the matchup Trick Room also, it is also a good answer to Urshifu-R in particular if there is the sun on the ground.
Venusaur is the breaker who will benefit the most from the sun, facilitated by the access to Weather Ball and the speed boost, in moveset 4atk it passes in almost all the matchups and that makes it very effective.
Landorus comes to fill the holes and weaknesses of the team, serving as an elec immunity and counter to Volcarona with Rock Slide, he puts a huge additional offensive pressure with his access to Substitute.

Last edited:
1629203145809.png
1629203193546.png
1629203223320.png
1629203244195.png
1629203264990.png
1629203282010.png

Presenting Zac MewMew
This is my take on zacian + suicune with Sheer Cold.

Zacian: This is an interesting Zacian spread because of its slow and bulky nature the speed allows you to outspeed mienshao outside of tw which felt like the only benchmark worth acheiving the atk investment hits a bump and the hp allows max terrain recovery.The rest is dumped into spdef which allows for a 3hko by calyrex shadow in grassy terrain as well as comfortably taking xern hits.

Suicune:The glue of this team Suicune is just amazing the spread takes two +2 xern moonblasts if u snarl once as well as comfortably taking multiple zacian hits.Scald ,snarl and tailwind are pretty standard and help slow down multiple threats to zacian while chipping most Fire types.That being said the most interesting part of this set is sheer cold.Sheer cold allows you to slaughter CP eternatus which can be tough for zacian to handle as well as covering for suicunes natural passivity by threatening ko'es. (This came up in my recent Mt.Silver run where I was able to cheese an unwinnable matchup by hitting a sheer cold)

Incineroar:Incineroar is pretty standard set which optimises terrain recovery and survives moonblasts. Chople allows you to take zacian hits much more comfortably.

Landorus-Incarnate:This month was added mostly to have something to take advantage suicune's speed control and provides a general hyper offensive mons as the rest of the team is pretty passive. Rock slide also gives you ways to destroy volcarona and ho-oh.

Amoonguss:Amoonguss is a phenomenal way to guarantee tw and cheese bad matchups by making them guess between spore and protect.It also provides another defensive switchin to urshifu rs .The combination of pollen puff, rocky helmet and regenerator gives the team some insane bulk to fall back on.One interesting part of this set is 27 speed is wich allow you to underspeed caly s while outspeeding most Incineroars in tw which allows it to function both fast spores and slow tr spores.

Rillaboom:Rillaboom gives them a much needed answer to bulky waters and eleki.It also is a good check into kyogre once tsareena goes down. Grassy terrain provides overall bulk to the team.The spreads are pretty standard other than the speed which allows you to out speed most rillabooms and all Incineroars allowing it to always have the fastest fake out .

Last edited:
Last edited:
Team 9 by Tyhpoeus
Team 6 by Gfazzo
Team 8 by Hervalt
Mew Mew is very epik Tyhpoeus EDIT I realized it has Sheer Cold 0_0
Rain Zacian-C sounds pretty good with rain threatening many of its usual checks.
Sun + Zacian-c that sounds alright

Last edited:
And the winner is...
Grandmas Cookin! With their Tapu Koko team!

Congratulations to all participants! Your week 9 Pokémon is the landlord himself, Groudon!

You have untill 03/09, 23:59 GMT -3 to submit your teams. Good luck!

Last edited:
:Groudon: :Weavile: :Entei: :Rillaboom: :Nihilego: :Mandibuzz:
Groudon Weavile

The idea of this team is that Weavile is able to thwart some of Groudon's threats such as Rillaboom, Landorus, and Yveltal, in return Groudon can slam Steels like Zacian-c and Stakataka that Weavile does not like.

:Groudon: :Life Orb:
Life Orb is chosen to make Groudon more threatening given the offensive nature of this team.

:Weavile: :Wide lens:
Wide lens is chosen as the item so that Triple Axel is much more consistent. Feint and Fake Out can put immense pressure onto the opponent forcing potential mindgames alongside other fearsome offensive threats on this team such as Nihilego and Groudon.

:Entei: :Choice Scarf:
A Choice Scarf Entei is chosen because how potentially fearsome it is alongside Weavile for its ability to outspeed and OHKO Zacian-c in sun, Weavile in return is able to deal with Landorus.

:Rillaboom: :Assault Vest:
Assault Vest Rillaboom is the best answer to Kyogre thus finding an easy spot on this Groudon team. It also provides the team with much appreciated pivoting.

:Nihilego: :Power herb:
Great Xerneas check and check to offensive Fire-types that might abuse Groudon's sun and become problematic, especially Quiver Dance Volcarona.

:Mandibuzz: :grassy seed:
Mandibuzz is a great check to Calyrex-S and it also provides this team with much appreciated speed control on Tailwind and this team happens to have Rillaboom so it can run Grassy Seed well.

Crazy Sun
:sm/groudon: :sm/coalossal: :sm/blacephalon: :sm/gardevoir: :sm/tsareena: :sm/zapdos:

Yes I know this team looks like a total shitpost, but it's midnight and my brain doesn't work anymore. At least I am having bunch of fun with it in the ladder, so let me introduce you to the team:

1630122220128.png
1630122736889.png

Groudon is the main star, of course. Not much to talk about it, its just a bulky physical sweeper.

1630122264170.png
1630122761184.png

When I was thinking which Pokémon I would choose to abuse Groudon's Sun, I decided to go with Blacephalon. Blacephalon with the Choice Scarf outspeeds pretty much everything in the format, except Regieleki that does not want to go against Groudon. Mind Blown does stupid damage in Sun, and has some coverage moves in Shadow Ball and Solar Beam

1630122368537.png
1630122774042.png

Then, I started looking for a Flash Fire/Telepathy Pokémon so I could be less punished while I use Mind Blown, so I chose Coalossal as mostly a joke, but after messing around with it and with Steam Engine, I realized that +1 Coalossal's Heat Wave can deal massive damage to many threats on the format, so I decided on that. The Speed investement allows it to outspeed Regieleki at +6.

1630122470105.png
1630122785930.png

I was having issues regarding Urshifu-S, Urshifu-R and Rillaboom, and Fake Out could give me some problems as well, so I decided on Tsareena as my Grass-type, as it also has a good Kyogre matchup.

1630122536219.png
1630122798253.png

Gardevoir was a pick that I messed around with a bit and I really liked it, actually. What she is doing here is first of all, being the Telepathy Pokémon, alongside Helping Hand to further boost Blacephalon's damage, although it can also set Trick Room so Coalossal and Groudon can play slowly with their lacking Speed tiers. I closed off with Shadow Sneak to break Focus Sashes that could get in the way.

1630122638515.png
1630122813729.png

Last but not least, Zapdos job here is helping me with loose ties of the team, such as Zacian's matchup and also Kyogre's. Pretty standard set, outspeeds Urshifu by 1 point.

Watch this chaotic team in battle!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series10-1405325093

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Groudon Hard Trick Room
:groudon: :tapu fini: :tsareena: :incineroar: :stakataka: :porygon2:
https://pokepast.es/6172b69c7fe84ee2

I laddered this team up to a personal best of #20 on the Showdown ladder. Its able to consistently set Trick Room against most Hyper Offense teams (notable exceptions are teams with Taunt Tsareena which is very good), and it applies a good amount of pressure to balance teams to maximize TR turns.

:groudon: :white herb:
White herb to reset an Intimidate drop, and because Life Orb is already spoken for on this team. Groudon's crazy powerful Fire/Ground coverage allow this team to put a lot of pressure on balanced teams, which a lot of Trick Room teams struggle to do.

:tapu fini: :leftovers:
Essential for the Amoonguss and Xerneas matchups. Can help break down bulky Pokemon with Nature's Madness, setting Groudon up for 2HKOs. Also pressures Urshifu with Moonblast, which allows Stakataka and Groudon to break through FWG cores easier.

:tsareena: :sitrus berry:
Went for a more supportive set here with Taunt. Stops Incineroar and Rillaboom from wasting your TR turns with Fake Out, Taunt stops Parting Shot positioning. Also stops priority Taunt/Encore, which is a lot of the Taunt/Encore you'll see. Running Sweet Scent as a tech move to guarantee Pblades turns, but you could also run more standard coverage.

:incineroar: :safety goggles:
Item can be played with, I like Safety Goggles for extra positioning help vs Amoonguss. Here for the excellent support, Fake Out + Intimidate is classic TR synergy. Flare Blitz actually does heavy damage in the Sun, though it obviously invites opposing Incineroar to switch in and reduce damage.

:stakataka: :life orb:
My weirdest set, this is not normal 252 Atk Stak. This has a Relaxed nature and heavy Defense investment. It can OHKO Incineroar that don't invest in Defense with Body Press, 2HKO even bulky Urshifu-R as well. It still OHKOs Xern with Gyro Ball after Intimidate, and 2HKOs bulky Zacian without a drop (or 2HKOs with Body Press after Beast boost). The other source of offense on the team, between Groudon and Stak pretty much everything can be broken down.

:porygon2: :eviolite:
Bulky offense P2 to set Trick Room against Rain and Calyrex. A powerful wincon if you can remove strong Fighting-type moves from your opponent's team. If it grabs a Download boost, it becomes a viable offensive threat as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)