Project VGC Teambuilding Competition - Week 15 (almost here) - Building (undetermined)

Hello there, throwing my hat into the ring because Wynaut, here is a sand team that uses Spectrier. Man I love having a meta where Ttar is viable again.

Importable

Breakdown

Spectrier provides fast support for my team in the form of Taunt and Will-O-Wisp. On this team it's a better choice than Dragapult as it doesn't stack weaknesses with Tyranitar and Dracozolt. The EVs are pretty straightforward, max Speed max HP. Shadow Ball is a decently strong attack. Bulldoze lets Tyranitar proc its Weakness Policy, and since it's very fast and immune to Fake Out, it will nearly always go first. It also gets around redirection. Safety Goggles is used as Mienshao is holding the Focus Sash and it takes away the damage from Sandstorm.

Pretty standard Ttar set, nothing to write home about. Rock Slide is a great spammable STAB. Lash Out lets me take advantage of Bulldoze's Speed drops and opposing Snarls. Superpower has fantastic coverage with Ttar's STABs, and gives me Max Knuckle when dynamaxed. Tyranitar's job on this team is both to hit really hard and provide Sandstorm support for Dracozolt. Great bulk and lots of weaknesses make Tyranitar a fantastic Weakness Policy abuser. The only weird thing on my Ttar is the EVs, but there is method in my madness. Jolly with 152 EVs outruns Urshifu at +1 and Dragapult at +2, so if they have an Urshifu I can dynamax Dracozolt, use Max Airstream and then pummel it with Superpower (note doesn't work on Urshifu-R).

I chose Dracozolt over Dracovish as it has much better synergy with Tyranitar in my opinion. It resists the Steel, Water and Grass moves Tyranitar is weak to, and it can Dynamax without cutting off the Sand. It also checks Venusaur that lack Earth Power, as it resists G Max Vine Lash and can set up Electric Terrain to block Sleep Powder. Bolt Beak is the main Attack, hitting like a truck if it goes first, which in Sand it usually will be as it outruns Timid Regieleki at +2. Dragon Claw hits the Dragon types that resist Bolt Beak hard. Protect is standard in VGC, while Pluck lets me steal opposing Berries. It also gives me a Speed boost with Max Airstream, so I'm not as reliant on Sand and Tailwind support.

So with 2 Pokemon weak to both Fairy types and Landorus-T, I needed another sweeper that can deal with both of those Pokemon. Enter Celesteela. This is running an offensive spread, as defensive Celesteela is much too passive for this heavily offensive team. Meteor Beam lets Celesteela boost its Special Attack without Beast Boost, and when Dynamaxed it lets me reset Sandstorm. Air Slash is a reasonably strong STAB that also gives me Max Airstream when maxed. Lastly, Fire Blast lets me scorch opposing Steel types. EVs are simple, max Seed max Special Attack. Power Herb means I don't have to charge Meteor Beam. I didn't run Autotomize as I have Tailwind support and can boost with Max Airstream. Spectrier can also slow faster mons down with Bulldoze.

Standard support Whimsicott, the only difference is it's running a Coba Berry which lets it live a Max Airstream from non Life Orb Thundurus (Life Orb has a 43.8% chance to OHKO) with the given EVs). Tailwind gives Dracozolt a nice Speed boost outside Sand, letting it get the most from Bolt Beak. Protect blocks Fake Out. Moonblast is there in case Whimsicott gets Taunted; it can also trigger Tyranitar's Weakness Policy. Charm is used to subdue physical attackers, mainly the Ground types that Tyranitar and Dracozolt are weak to like Garchomp and Landorus-T. Max Speed and max HP give Whimsicott the most opportunities to fire off Tailwind and Charm.

Last but not least, Mienshao provides a great answer to Incineroar and opposing Tyranitar. Great Speed + Fake Out immunity means it can nearly always get a Coaching off, making Dracozolt and Tyranitar absolute monsters. For reference at +1 Def, Dynamaxed Tyranitar comfortably lives a Strong Jaw boosted Fishious Rend from Scarf Dracovish ( 252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. +1 104 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Tyranitar: 210-248 (55.8 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Fake Out lets me pressure opponents and get off some free damage. Close Combat wallops Incineroar and opposing Tyranitar. Coaching lets it power up Dracozolt and Tyranitar - even Celesteela appreciated the Defence boost. U-turn lets it safely bring in a teammate - it can also trigger Tyranitar's Weakness Policy.

https://pokepast.es/44ee5c3a3b515f82 :spectrier: :rillaboom: :rotom-heat: :moltres-galar: :mamoswine: :clefairy: grassy seed spectrier. I made the team with Yourwelcomthank.
At first we had spectrier and rillaboom.Rillaboom deals with rain, gives us priority, and pops seed for spectrier also its just a nice hard hitter for the team. Rillaboom activates Spectrier's Grassy Seed and with Assault Vest gives us a great answer to rain and regieleki.

Spectrier is the main pokemon, with clefairy it can nasty plot and possibly pull off a sweep and its the pokemon we're building around. Grassy seed is useful because it helps a wide variety of physical threats not even being 2hkod by Life Orb Glastrier max hailstorm for example The bulk granted by Grassy Seed gives moltres-galar an easier time setting up its Nasty Plot. There are other physical threats it helps with too, for example regirock,garchomp, kartana, thundurus, stakataka, and mamoswine.

Rotom-heat is a glastrier check for the team. Rotom-Heat is also a venukoal check with safety goggles.

Moltres-Galar is an opposing spectrier/ clef spectrier check since at this time we lost to opposing clef spectrier and it supports the team with speed boosts from max airstream and just another nice hitter for the team.

Next we have Mamoswine, mamoswine serves as a check to landorus-therian, regieleki, and more.

Next we have clefairy. Clefairy is a redirector for the team, also clef spectrier seemed nice, follow me nasty plot then sweep. And with Helping Hand it can boost an attack for its allies and make its ally hit really hard.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/667f885341a6768b

The Pokemon that was given was Spectrier, so I started looking around for interesting ideas. The first one was Bulldoze + WP + Clear Body shenanigans, but that was really only viable on Metagross, and I didn't want to stack up 2 ghost/dark weaknesses right off the bat. Registeel/Regirock looked promising, but they were too slow and needed TR. I settled on a Life Orb Nasty Plot set that I was quite happy with, given the instant power of not needing to Nasty Plot up first (unlike Rotom-H or Rotom-W.)
I then looked around for redirection in case Spectrier needed to get a Nasty Plot or just needed a free turn. Since Spectrier was really weak to things like Dragapult and Urshifu-Single-Strike, I liked the idea of a Fairy-Type redirection Pokemon and debated over Clefairy and Togekiss. Clefairy was the better choice as A) Clefairy has Friend Guard, which reduces damage from moves like Fiery Wrath, Earthquake, and Heat Wave, and B) has access to the single-target fairy move Moonblast, which avoids activating unnecessary Weakness Policy.
After getting the Spectrier + Clefairy core, I looked around for an offensive fire type that WASN'T RELIANT ON SUN OR TRICK ROOM. This was important so that the rest of my team wouldn't end up being TR-centric (because Spectrier doesn't like Trick Room) and Sun needs Torkoal, Venusaur, and sometimes Charizard, which stacks a lot of weaknesses and wasn't ideal. Incineroar may have been a better choice (but it's speed is so slow, and it's more supportive anyways,) so I landed on Cinderace. A STAB 160 BP move upon Gigantamaxing, and it had White Herb to stop Intimidate (at least once.)
A good steel type looked good after Spectrier / Clefairy / Cinderace, but Excadrill needed Sand, Registeel as mentioned before was too slow and had lacking offensive power, so I picked Weakness Policy Celesteela. It only has a meager 61 base speed, but can quickly be raised through Max Airstream. Giga Drain was chosen over Flamethrower to hit Tapu Fini harder, and I already had Cinderace. The spread garuntees a 2HKO from Timid 252 SpA Magnet Regieleki's Max Lightning when Dynamaxed. But I needed a Weakness Policy activator, and a mon that handled the Moltres-Galar matchup well. It took a while, but I settled on Safety Goggles Raichu. The spread lives a 252 SpA (non-Life Orb) Venusaur-Gmax Max Quake, and Volt Switch activates Weakness Policy. Fake Out because it's Fake Out, and Eerie Impulse to stop Moltres-Galar, Charizard (I have enough speed to outspeed Zard by 1 point) and other Special Attackers.
At this point, I wanted some Intimidate (that WASN'T INCINEROAR) so I picked Landorus-T because that was the next obvious choice. AV made it decently specially bulky and could serve as a Tapu Fini check (EQ does a lot to Fini 1v1) and was just a good pokemon in general. The spread was just nabbed off of Pikalytics, so I don't exactly know what it does.
Anyways, here's some quick calcs for the team:
SPECTRIER:
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Metagross: 374-445 (100 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Spe Spectrier at -1 (120) vs 172 Spe Metagross (112) - still faster after Bulldoze.
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 220 HP / 28 SpD Rillaboom-Gmax: 220-259 (108.3 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Helping Hand Max Phantasm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dynamax Glastrier: 469-554 (113.2 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Nasty Plot when TR goes up, then Helping Hand. Spectrier doesn't die to a Max Hailstorm if it's Dynamaxed.)
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Helping Hand Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 132+ SpD Incineroar: 250-296 (123.7 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 28 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Dragapult: 437-515 (130.8 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I guess it could Phantom Force, but...
CLEFAIRY:
(This mon actually has ONE offensive use...)
0 SpA Clefairy Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Urshifu: 132-160 (75.4 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
VERSUS
0 SpA Clefairy Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Urshifu: 216-256 (123.4 - 146.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And that's why Clefairy has Moonblast over Dazzling Gleam. Otherwise, max Defense is just to live physical hits from *ahem* Urshifu-S
CINDERACE-GMAX:
212 Atk Cinderace-Gmax G-Max Fire Ball vs. 220 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 266-314 (131 - 154.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212 Atk Libero Cinderace-Gmax High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Incineroar: 188-224 (93 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
(White Herb mitigates Intimidate)
212 Atk Cinderace-Gmax Helping Hand G-Max Fire Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Landorus-Therian: 201-237 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 Atk Cinderace-Gmax Helping Hand G-Max Fire Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Thundurus: 246-289 (79.3 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 Atk Libero Cinderace-Gmax Max Knuckle vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 130-154 (70.2 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Nihilego Meteor Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Cinderace-Gmax: 95-112 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- 54.2% chance to 3HKO [after Libero-Fighting]
CELESTEELA:
+2 252+ SpA Celesteela Max Steelspike vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Moltres-Galar: 177-208 (53.3 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(And I can Eerie Impulse)
+2 252+ SpA Celesteela Max Overgrowth vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Tapu Fini: 188-222 (106.2 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(No Calm Mind)
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Max Lightning vs. 20 HP / 124 SpD Dynamax Celesteela: 244-291 (69.7 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magnet Transistor Regieleki Max Lightning vs. 20 HP / 124 SpD Dynamax Celesteela: 294-348 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Max Lightning vs. 20 HP / 12 Def Dynamax Celesteela: 257-304 (73.4 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
RAICHU:
0 SpA Raichu Volt Switch vs. 20 HP / 124 SpD Dynamax Celesteela: 66-78 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Venusaur-Gmax Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Raichu: 136-162 (81.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Venusaur-Gmax G-Max Vine Lash vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Raichu: 109-130 (65.2 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Vine Lash damage
LANDORUS-THERIAN:
No calcs. The spread was just nabbed off Pikalytics, as mentioned above.
ENDING THOUGHTS: Holy crap, I wrote waaaaay too much for this team report. I hope I make it into the top 5! =D
- Snom

EDIT: Cinderace has 12 HP EVs.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/aa717b8b4098f77e - The team
I wanted to build a dual horses team, so I started with the mons clefairy, spectrier, and glastrier. I knew it was weak to shuca incin, so I was thinking of water types. I originally had urshifu-ss, but as the kanto starters g-max move residual damage is broken, I changed it to blastoise(thanks to frogtypebeat for the inspiration). It also had the advantage of not losing to landorus-t that had a previous airstream boost or fake out pressure with its partner. I wanted a ground switch in, so I added Moltres-galar which also helps in the spectrier clefairy mirror. I knew I didn't have many ways to hit tapu fini, leading me to add rillaboom as the 6th mon.
:spectrier:
Spectrier was here for obvious reasons, being that is was the center of this weeks teambuilding competition. The set is generic, with Jean Pual VGC's spread, but with hyper beam over dark pulse for max strike.
:clefairy:
The 2nd part to the infamous specclef core, the spread and set are generic.
:glastrier:
This pokemon is a beast, and covers a lot of mons that check spectrier like moltres galar. It is a mon commonly paired with spectrier and clefairy. The ev's are generic, and swords dance is used to counter intimidate.
:blastoise-gmax:
While this mon may lack in damage output, its g-max move's residual damage is amazing. It also has support out of max with fake out, ice beam is there over blizzard for consistency. The speed ev's are to outspeed base 100's that are at -1 or if blastoise is a +1 speed.
:moltres-galar:
Moltres helps with opposing spectrier, while also being a solid mon in general. I gave it grassy seed because I didn' know what else to give it and it helps getting a nasty plot off. Its speed is to outspeed regieleki after 2 airstreams and also outspeeds base 130's after an airstream boost.
:rillaboom-gmax:
Rillaboom is here to check tapu fini and other water types this team has problem hitting for good damage. It also provides fake out pressure and chunks even nutral hits with grassy glide.

252+ SpA Life Orb Blastoise Max Geyser vs. 244 HP / 188+ SpD Incineroar: 226-268 (112.4 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 244 HP / 4 Def Tapu Fini in Grassy Terrain: 176-210 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Moltres-Galar Helping Hand Max Airstream vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Venusaur: 306-362 (98 - 116%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

My submission for Week 2 will be this team:
https://pokepast.es/98e392c4bbc5d049

When building a Spectrier team, a few things I had in mind, was that I wanted to find a mon that was able to heavily capitalize on defense drops while retaining the option to just go for the standard SpecClef stuff. With this in mind, I created that abomination of a team.

So here are some of the teambuilding notes:
  1. Dracovish to abuse Defense drops from Max Phantasm
  2. Clefairy to aid Spectrier for early SpecClef shenanigans
  3. Incineroar and Glastrier to aid in the SunRoom matchup
  4. Tapu Lele for help against Dark Types, and for terrain changing (aiding the Rillaboom matchup)
So these were the primary things that I had in mind while building the team. So about the sets:

Dracovish:
Adamant 196 Speed to just underspeed Spectrier at 180 Speed. For the moves, most of the time Fishious Rend is the move of choice, and it most likely will not click anything else, apart from the occasional Ice Fang and Dragon Rush.

Clefairy and Spectrier:
The standard tried and true combo. Spectrier is able to safely Nasty Plot behind Clefairy, and then unload massive amounts of damage with it's Max moves. Also the primary dynamaxer of the team. Spectrier spread also allows it to survive one Wicked Blow from a Focus Sash variant in Dynamax.

Incineroar:
Primarily here for Intimidate. The team itself is very weak to mons such as Garchomp and Rillaboom otherwise, and will need the Intimidate support to aid in these matchups.

Glastrier:
The secondary dynamaxing option. It is primarily here in order to beat everything that Spectrier cannot beat. With a Swords Dance boost, it is able to one shot nearly everything with a Max move.

Tapu Lele:
At this point, Tapu Lele's job here is quite simple. Help against the pesky Dark Types, and to set up a Terrain. Resetting Rillaboom's terrain is huge for Spectrier, Clefairy and Dracovish against Rillaboom, while it is able to deal large amounts of damage with Psychic-terrain boosted Psychic, or with Moonblasts/Dazzling Gleams.

:landorus-therian::spectrier::stakataka::indeedee-f::torkoal::venusaur:
https://pokepast.es/bf2ea2d75799ab71
THE SUSPECTRIER SUNROOM

I'm going to be honest and say I was feeling completely lost while building a team using Spectrier, I didn't want to use an offensive build and have my team fall into the hyper offense pit, but I also didn't want to run a support set since I'd always end up with some messy bulldoze stuff. But then, after scrolling through its movepool for a bit, I saw two colorful options that inspired this entire team...

:ss/Landorus-Therian: :ss/Spectrier:

On a surface level, these two don't seem to work together all that well, they don't have any anti synergy, but neither of them have options that really cover each other's weaknesses. However, Spectrier has access to haze, an incredible speed tier and an immunity to fake out. This is perfect for something like life orb Landorus-T, a complete powerhouse that needed no boosts to deal damage but is often crippled by intimidate. Being able to haze away intimidate drops reverts Landorus back to the nuclear weapon we all know and love. Lando's power is further increased by tail whip, a move that drops the defense of both opponents by 1 stage, allowing Lando to hit even harder. Lando is often punished on lead by Thundurus as well, giving it +1 to its attack because of defiant, Spectrier can easily haze away these boosts away, hindering Thundurus' offensive presence. Landorus set is standard, nothing to see there, Spectrier acts as both support and offense, decked out with nasty plot and a stab move in shadow ball for some of that good old Spectrier fun next to one of the next two members, Indeedee!

:ss/Stakataka: :ss/Indeedee-F:

I think we all know what these two do, Indeedee keeps Stakataka safe while it sets up trick room, then Stak steals the show and starts its killing spree. There is something suspicious about this Stak set though, wouldn't you say? A lonely nature with a 17 defense IV makes it so that Stak will get an attack boost instead of a defense boost when it gets a kill, for most Stakatakas boosting attack isn't that important, since defense boosts will help set up for body press spam late-game. Its a cool set, but I just don't like it, having to wait for dynamax to expire to deal significant damage after dynamax runs out just feels awkward in a lot of scenarios, and being able to snowball with beast boost while maxed seemed a lot more appealing. Since I had given my Indeedee a focus sash to help against Regigigas, it would not be able to defend its teammates from the deadly Amoonguss' spores. This led me to give Stak heat crash over body press, since I was no longer getting defense boosts from beast boost and was lowering my own defense with the lonely nature and IVs, I opted for heat crash to hit Amoonguss which could otherwise survive a hit and fire back with a spore. Heat crash is also boosted by the sun, which is a nice transition to the final pair.

:ss/Torkoal: :ss/Venusaur:

I noticed the team had a big water weakness and lack of Pokemon who could abuse TR, so of course I added the dynamic duo. Venusaur is an incredible answer to the many water types in the meta right now, and Torkoal is able to weaken water moves with its drought ability. The sun would boost Stakataka's heat crash/max flare to essentially give it a stab multiplier, giving me a good answer to Venusaur in mirrors, and any Amoonguss trying to click spore. Instead of the usual charcoal or sitrus berry, I gave my Torkoal an iron ball to halve its speed. This would allow it to underspeed Stakataka and activate its weakness policy with bulldoze, or click its monstrous fire stabs and chip things for Stakataka to get the KO and a beast boost. The Venusaur set is standard for the most part, the spread outspeeds base 100s at +1 in the sun. One thing that sticks out however, is the awful item choice i'm known for. Room service allowed Venusaur to operate both in and out of TR, letting it put things to sleep that would otherwise be threatening or just thrash things with its stabs. Still debating on whether it should have weather ball or earth power, but that decision is yours to make.

A couple replays (most of these will just be the TR mode bc its broken)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329917794
Stak sweeps through most of the team, Room service lets Venu underspeeds a Heatran that could've KO'd stak because of room service
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329920180
Another Stak sweep where Venukoal cleans up
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329915290
Landorus shows its worth and blows through an entire team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329774542-0ovf19axzeul5oc2k8sqrgaaflns3r0pw
t h e r e a r e n o r e s i s t s
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329771602-5efodgt6jy01s72acfz78ajj5zml3nopw
its getting old but here's another Stak sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329896472-mx0v34fse7vqb393udn0gq5u0xqw612pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329893540-v5h5h8i7v0y4x7u157oh38rnhl3wpqwpw
while i'm here i might as well just group these two together

Anyways hope you enjoy seeing the mess that is my thought process while teambuilding. Sorry I couldn't get any good replays showing off the Spec Lando lead, I played a game where Lando baited an Incineroar on lead and proceeded to sweep the whole team but forgot to save the replay ;-; Also the TR mode is just cracked lol

Last edited:
Rules
1. The team you first submit is FINAL, so be careful about what you submit.
2. Teams will be built with the current ruleset of VGC (at the moment, Series 9 rules).
3. Please keep one-liners and other fluff such as teambuilding advice and "oh this team is cool!" out of the thread. If you have a question PM me or zeefable.
4. This should be common sense, but no plagiarism, you will be warned and potentially infracted.
Made some set rules for the comp. Please follow them accordingly :blobthumbsup:

Week two submission:
https://pokepast.es/6f9d72d067641838
:spectrier: :metagross: :torkoal: :politoed: :venusaur: :porygon2:

After playing around with some ideas that I stole from Gfazzos week one submission, and regretting I didn't submit a team for week one, I decided to create a dual weather team with things that enjoy Spectriers great support presence.

Spectrier:
Spectrier's role here is pretty simple, which is enabling other mons on the team as a support option. It activates Metagross's Weakness Policy via Bulldoze, while also providing much needed damage reduction for my team. Porygon2 appreciates Spectriers Snarl and Will-o-Wisp, which give it a better chance to set up Trick Room, which can be a good win condition for this team in endgames.

Metagross:
Metagross is the main abuser of Trick Room on this team. It's bulkiness is greatly valued for the mode, as well as its ability to attack without being hindered by intimidate, thanks to Clear Body. Spectrier is its other main partner, as it can not only activate its Weakness Policy via Bulldoze, it can also improve its already great defensive ability when Dynamaxed. The moveset is very standard, with Ice Punch to take out flying types that give my team trouble.

Venusaur/Torkoal:
These two have been the face of Gen8 VGC for a long time. They are up to their usual shenanigans on this team, such as abusing Vine Lash's 1/6 chip and a fast Sleep Powder. Torkoal also gives Venusaur access to Max Flare via Weather Ball. Torkoal also has weather ball, which hits fire types much harder than Earth Power does, and also gives it a 100% accurate STAB move that doesn't require it to be healthy. Expert Belt allows me to pick up KO's on fire types that I couldn't with something like Charcoal.

Politoed:
Politoed may seem like a strange pick, but it gives the team a ton of pressure on a turn to turn basis. It is ironically the scariest when it is off the field, as you constantly pressure a surprise water move from Venusaur or Torkoal, or making the fire type damage you plan to do to Metagross or Venusaur much less threatening. Its a standard set that appreciates Spectrier's damage reduction as a way to win endgames via Perish Song.

Porygon2
Porygon2 is probably the bulkiest Trick Room setter in the format, and as such appreciates when its teammates can do big damage, and on this team, they certainly can. It also can set up Trick Room Easier because of Spectrier.

-1 252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres-Galar Max Darkness vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dynamax Metagross: 195-229 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Metagross Max Hailstorm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Moltres-Galar: 364-430 (110.3 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb burned Landorus-Therian Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Metagross: 138-164 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

164+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat in Rain: 234-276 (149 - 175.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

164+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 108+ SpD Incineroar in Rain: 221-260 (109.4 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Torkoal Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat in Rain: 161-190 (102.5 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed in Grassy Terrain: 144-170 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

https://pokepast.es/f98729f57561dc05
I love Spectrier. It has so much offensive pressure and has the potential to just steamroll the opponent. I wanted to make Spectrier's job as easy as possible so I decided the next member of the team should be a redirector. Both Clefairy and Togekiss have their pros and cons, but I chose to use Clefairy to give the team some general bulk and because Clefairy is not weak to Electric and Rock-type moves. Incineroar joins the team next to create a defensive backbone with Clefairy to allow my team to slow down the game and reposition easily. At this point the team lacks an answer to bulkier pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Celesteela. Rillaboom gives the team a ground resist while Regieleki is a good cleanup mon and provides speed control. Finally, I wanted a secondary dynamax candidate and a water type to complete the FWG core. Blastoise fulfills these roles and works well with Clefairy.

Individual members:
I chose a relatively standard moveset and item for spectrier. Max phantasm makes it easy for rillaboom to clean up. Max Strike cancels out airstream boosts and Max Quake is good coverage for fire types. The SPDEF boost is always nice too. Nasty Plot can win me the game turn 1 sometimes. It really punishes passive play. The EV spread lets Spectrier outspeed Thundurus by 2 points with a little bulk and the rest dumped into Special Attack. I chose a modest nature because the damage output is insane and a timid nature will just let you outspeed some garbage pokemon. Speed tying other spectrier isn't a concern because I have clefairy's help and if I ever have to risk the tie, I probably deserve to lose.

Spectrier's partner in crime. Helping Hand, Follow Me, and Protect are Clefairy's bread and butter. Sing is here because I hate myself, and it punishes passive play. The spread is just really physically defensive to withstand hits from threats like Glastrier.

:Blastoise-Gmax:
Blastoise plays pretty similar to Spectrier. It wants to get a boost from shell smash and then sweep. Clefairy does a great job of enabling it. Water Spout provides a 150 BP Gmax Cannonade, which when paired with the residual damage, can be devastating. Water Spout is also a perfectly ok move to click as well. Blizzard is nice coverage to deal with pesky grass types. Once Max Hailstorm sets the hail, I can spam Blizzard and be able to hax my opponents with freeze. Shell Smash makes Blastoise a much more potent threat. I felt that Protect was not needed since I will max Blastoise often and I can just click Max Guard. So I chose Dark Pulse so that Spectrier and Regieleki can finish off the endgame. Flinches are pretty funny too
Expert Belt because life orb is taken and this is probably the next best item.

Rillaboom is exclusively here to deal with bulky waters. Grassy Glide is an incredible endgame tool. The set is pretty standard.
:Incineroar:
Incineroar is also pretty standard. Helps to give me a good defensive core and makes the positioning game easier. Flare Blitz has respectable damage, while Fake Out enables my other mons. Parting Shot is a great disruptive move and can shut down opposing Dynamax. Taunt is here to help my otherwise tricky Amoonguss and hard trick room matchup. I used Wolfe's spread and I honestly don't know what it does but it's been working.
:Regieleki:
The final member of the team is here to just provide some fast immediate damage. It checks Thundurus decently well and electroweb spam can be really useful when paired with Blastoise.

This team isn't incredibly innovative but I think it does a good job highlight Spectrier. Its goal is to make Spectrier's life as easy as possible in order to bulldoze through my opponent.

Last edited:
So, I was not feeling real inspired to make a "good" team or a "smart" team or a "well-balanced" team, so I made a "barley usable" team (misspelling intentional). I wanted to use the two new horses on a team, but I realized why stop at only two, why not use all the horses I can? (Additionally, the Kentucky Derby is this Saturday, so why not make it horse themed).

:spectrier: :glastrier: :Mudsdale: :Rapidash-Galar: :tapu fini: :Incineroar:
https://pokepast.es/a3bcde9d064b950c

For an brief overview, the team utilizes Spectrier as it's special breaker, Glastrier and Mudsdale as it's physical breaker, Rapidash-G as an Trick Room and support, Tapu Fini to prevent status, and Incineroar as an pivot. Unfourtunatley, I could not fit more horses on this team, since the other two in the game are unusable on this team (Rapidash-K because it has the same National Dex Number as Rapidash-G, and Keldeo because it is a mythical and unusable). Without further ado, lets dive into the sets:

Spectrier @ Life Orb
Ability: Grim Neigh
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam
- Protect
- Double Kick
A very spooky set, intended to do damage. As the only special attacker here, it has a lot of weight to pull for the team, but it's Spectrier, the thing it does best is damage. Shadow Ball serves as the move to click 80% of the time. Hyper Beam gives Spectrier some speed control while maxed and does insane damage. Protect is to protect this horse when not Dynamaxed, and Double Kick is there to trigger a Weakness Policy on the next horse. Life Orb lets Spectrier stomp on it's opponents through sheer damage. EV's are the finest 252/252/4 available, maximizing Spectrier's Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature to outspeed most threats. Overall, the intention is to do damage first and foremost with this Spectirer, utilizing it's base 145 Special Attack to the fullest extent. The rest of the team is structured to take advantage of Spectrier breaking through what the physical horses can not. Like I mentioned before, Double Kick is there to pop the next pokemon's weakness policy, giving it a small supporting role. However, Spectrier is the star of this show, a Thoroughbred angling to take the Triple Crown in its own hooves.

Glastrier @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 14 Spe
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
The next horse on the field, Glastrier provides the part of the physical muscle behind this team. This icy horse is bred to take hits and deal out massive damage in return. Again, only the best 252/252/4 Ev spread was allowed, maximizing HP and attack with a Brave nature because unlike its brethren Spectrier, it's not out to win any speed races like the Kentucky Derby. The IV's are important however, 14 leaves Spectrier at a nice 37 speed stat with its Brave nature. This underspeeds Mudsdale in Trick Room by 1, allowing Mudsdale to activate Glastrier's Weakness Policy. There are not many speed targets that Glastrier is missing that I think is too important by not going 0 speed IV's especially when it wants to take a hit to activate it's Weakness policy anyways. The most relevant target is a minus Speed Torkoal with 31 speed IV's in Trick Room (minus Speed 31 IV Torkoal hits 36 speed), but that's pretty minor all things considered. Most of the other Pokemon in the 30 Base speed tier are not really threats to Glastrier, and I prefer opposing Glastrier to go first in Trick Room for the opportunity to activate the Weakness Policy. Moveset is standard, Ice move for STAB, Fighting move to boost Attack when Maxed, Steel move for Defense boosts, and Protect move to protect. When it comes, it usually would prefer to Dynamax, but is fine not doing so.

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Smack Down
Now is where this team of horses gets interesting. This Clydesdale horse, while slow, can pull it's own weight. High Horsepower because it is a horse (and because single target ground STAB not weakened by Grassy Terrain). Iron Head gives it Max Steelspike when Dynamaxed, and a Steel move when not dynamaxed to hit dynamaxed targets. Since Heavy Slam can not damage Dynamaxed opponents, this gives a way for the team to have a option to hit those few Steel weak Dynamax pokemon without resorting to your own Dynamax from Glastrier. Close Combat gives this horse a fighting chance. Smack Down fills the last slot here, and I selected it for three reasons. 1. When Dynamaxed, there is only a 30 base power difference versus Rock Slide. 2. Smack Down activates Glastrier's Weakness Policy without potentially causing any side effects (Rock Smash has a 50 percent chance to lower the Defense of Glastrier. 3. Smack Down grounds Flying-types and Levitate Pokemon, something pretty unexpected for those pokemon to face. sure, Zapdos and Celesteela may be feeling safe, but after a Smack Down their tune will change pretty quickly. Assault Vest gives Mudsdale more special bulk, and Stamina gives it more physical bulk when it is hit. Own Tempo was a consideration to be immune to intimidate, but I preferred the bulk overall. EV's are again a 252/252/4 with a Brave nature, maximizing Attack and HP, with the remainder thrown into Special Defense to make the Assault Vest put in a little more work. This set outspeeds Glastrier by 1, so it can support the team in other ways, but Mudsdale does not always need to be brought to battle.

Rapidash-Galar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Trick Room
I'll be honest, I wanted to use Rapidash-K instead. I could have done so much fun stuff with Fire / Flying / Electric moves, but I actually wanted the team to work so I needed a horse to support the rest. Rapidash-G galloped in, giving the team an much needed Trick Room user. Once again, I was not that creative I selected only the finest 252/252/4 EV's on the market to outfit this fine horse. Maximized HP and Speed with a Jolly Nature, with the 4 extra dumped into Attack. Play Rough lets Rapidash-G not completely get shut down by Taunt. Swords Dance lets that Play Rough deal more damage if need be, or lets it pass it to another user. Trick Room sets the Trick Room for the slow horses. Baton Pass lets Rapidash-G pass a SD boost to Glastrier or Mudsdale, or after Trick Room is set lets it more safely get those two onto the field due to it's relatively quick speed. Focus Sash lets it take a hit which it will be doing a lot. Anticipation was selected because it is the only ability worth using. Run Away is literally useless here, and Poison is not a concern. At the very least, when you are facing a Dragapult and Rapidash-G shudders, you gain valuable information that it has a Ghost move. Overall, it sets up Trick Room and pivots to the others to deal damage, if it goes down then that's fine as well, means the slow horses get in safely.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 180 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect
So, I ran out of horses. At this point though, the team looked surprisingly.... ok? I recognized that Will-O-Wisp would decimate my poor, slow horses so Misty Terrain was a must. I took this Tapu Fini set from way back on my PC3 qualifier team, it was solid there and should be solid here. I don't remember the Calc's exactly, but it lived some hits from Zapdos that I wanted it to take. The only change I made was substituting Calm Mind over Icy Wind, this team does not need the speed support and CM Fini can clean up a surprising amount of 2v1's. Misty Terrain is the main reason I selected it, and Tapu Fini is a pretty solid pokemon in it's own right so it fit nicely on this team.
Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 124 Def / 52 SpD / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
Think of this like the cat that hangs around the race track. The team needed an Intimidate user, so and Incineroar fit the bill. Ev's are weird, I liked the rolls versus Urshifu's Close Combat but it is not optimized well. EV'ing Incineroar well is an art that I do not have, but this does the job that I want it to do enough. Fake Out lets this cat protect Rapidash for it to set up Trick Room, with an arbitrary amount of speed to outspeed some Incineroar. Flare Blitz is here to hit Grass types, Parting Shot is used to pivot, and Snarl is there to make Special Attackers useless. I originally had Taunt, but Snarl fit better and I felt like I would be clicking it more, especially since I was fine with things like Trick Room going up.

Closing Thoughts:

Genuinely, I like this team more than I should. Focusing on Spectrier, the rest of the team handles physical side of the spectrum, leaving Spectrier to take the spotlight on the special side. With Incineroar and Mudsdale, almost all special threats can be dealt with, either KO'ed or effectively neutralized. I wish Rapidash-G got better moves, but I'll go with the slow Baton Pass user to get the rest of the horses in safely. The potential Swords Dance passing is insanely funny of an idea and I could not pass it up, even for the more useful Ally Switch. Physically, I like the synergy between Glastrier and Mudsdale, overwhelming with slow but powerful offensive pressure. While I literally could not put more than four horses on this team, I think the two non-horses make the team far better than if I could include something like Zebstrika. Tapu Fini and Incineroar protects the horses, letting them put in the work.

In the end, Spectrier is the star of this team, gunning to outpace all other opponents. It's not completely above supporting the team, but when the race begins Spectrier is in it to win it all.

:Terrakion: :Spectrier: :Whimsicott: :Rotom-heat: :Kartana: :Mamoswine: Terrakion + Spectrier. This team was made with Gfazzo
https://pokepast.es/f6eee7acdcfd1ff2 EDIT: if your going to use this team give Whimscott a Timid nature lol

:Terrakion: :Lum berry: :Spectrier: :Weakness Policy:
Terrakion and Spectrier have strong offensive synergy. Terrakion is able to deal with Moltres-galar, Urshifu, Incineroar, and other dark types for Spectrier. Spectrier in return is able to threaten Metagross, Kartana, and Cresselia. Its more so what Terrakion does for Spectrier but Spectrier helps Terrakion out a bit too. Spectrier also has a Weakness Policy which can be activated from Whimsicott Beat up.

:Whimsicott: :Coba berry:
Whimsicott has Beat up to enable Terrakion and Tailwind which alot of the pokemon on the team appreciate especailly Mamoswine, Terrakion, and Spectrier, Protect is very needed on Beat up teams. Whimsicott itself is very useful offensively being able to check Urshifu who slams the rest of the team very hard so this is very important.

:Rotom-Heat: :Safety Goggles:
This is our check to Glastrier, Sun, and Kartana. Terrakion and Mamoswine Threataning Rock-types is helpful for Rotom-heat. Rotom-Heat being able to threaten Water-types is useful for Mamoswine, and Terrakion

:Kartana: :Focus sash:
Checks Tapu Fini and other Water-types. Kartana is also a Steel Type with a good Garchomp Matchup which is valuble for this team. Katana appreciates Terrakion checking Urshifu and fire types for Kartana. Kartana is able to threaten pokemon like Grimmsnarl and Clefairy who are annoying for this team.

:Mamoswine: :Assault Vest:
With Assault Vest and Max Quake Specail defense boosts Mamswine is capable of checking Spectrier along with many other Special Attackers. Mamoswine's primary role is to check Landorus-T and Garchomp who are otherwise problematic for Terrakion and Spectrier.

EDIT The reason Mamoswine is AV and not Kartana is to best handle spec clef as that strategie is so dangerous. Offensive spectrier in general is very thretening to this team having no ghost resists.
stop using seribi images lol.
EDIT: Thank you for changing them :)

Last edited:
Budget Coalossal team!
https://pokepast.es/0df66fd9a2a1868f
I used Coalossal in Series 6 and 7 quite a lot, as it had an easy playstyle that (at the time) new-to-VGC me was able to pick up. With Series 9, I wanted to try something similar, but also different. The teambuilding competition gave me just the inspiration I needed. I originally wanted to proc a WP with Bulldoze, but that has been done before, so I turned to its other low-damage physical move, Double Kick. Double Kick can be used to both proc the WP on Omastar and give it a Coalossal-esque speed boost by activating Weak Armor twice. I used the Rillaboom and Incineroar spreads from my previous team (4 speed is to outspeed other min speed Rillabooms/Incins for a faster Fake Out.) Urshifu-R was originally a pick to help check Urshifu-S with its Close Combat, but I decided to go with Sirfetch'd instead, because of its ability, Scrappy, which makes it immune to Intimidate and gives it a chance to hit Ghost types like Dragapault and Spectrier with its STAB CC. It also has a neat synergy with Rillaboom, because with the pivoting ability of both Rilla and Incin, it can allow Sirfetch'd to get on the field and take advantage of Grassy Terrain. Finally, I added Clefairy because most Spectrier teams use Clefairy, but also because its Follow Me allowed me to run Swords Dance Incin (a favorite of mine) and Shell Smash Omastar with more ease. Overall, this team is amazingly fun, and a great counter to both Coal teams and Sun teams, which are very common.
Some Calcs: +2 252+ SpA Omastar Max Hailstorm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Venusaur: 296-350 (190.9 - 225.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Omastar Max Geyser vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Coalossal: 1048-1236 (566.4 - 668.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO. I thought I broke the Showdown damage calculator, but nope! Omastar is just that good.

Last edited:
Week 2 Submission:
https://pokepast.es/181ead8fb4b4167c
:Spectrier: :Regirock: :Grimmsnarl: :Torkoal: :Venusaur: :Porygon2:
The idea for this team was to use offensive support Spectrier to enable Weakness Policy Regirock. I added screens support Grimmsnarl and put Taunt to try and block any opposing Will-o-wisp’s coming my way. After that I figured I needed a backup mode if Regirock would have to facedown any of its counters like Metagross or Lapras, so I added NailsOU’s sun mode from his Players Cup 2 team. Lastly I added Porygon2 to work as a Trick Room mode should the team require it.
Overall this team looks pretty good, potentially weak to Urshifu as its only real check is Grimmsnarl, however it can definitely be played around using the tools available.

Not much more to say about this team, as I haven’t tested it due to this being a teambuilding competition and it was built at work so I don’t exactly have the time to test it anyways lol, but feel free to use it or edit to your liking!

:rillaboom: :naganadel: :spectrier: :regirock: :grimmsnarl: :gyarados:

Lots of offensive and supportive spectrier sets so far, but unless I missed one, I don't think i've seen any obnoxious sets yet.

Spectrier, like good ol gen 5 gengar, has an incredibly obnoxious sub disable set it can utilize, even in a format with dynamax removing disable upon their max. Having an urshifu suddenly be unable to wicked blow, a torkoal unable to eruption, or a porygon2 unable to recover or attack is hilariously effective. Knowing that I wanted to build around that, I needed both interruption, and buckets of upfront damage presence. The final result is a team that plays off each individual member incredibly well, with multiple game strategies available. Most importantly: Its also really fun.

:rillaboom: :naganadel:
Rillaboom Naganadel pairing is one of my favorite pairings of the year so far. The two work off each other remarkably well, and rilla helps to push damage to get naganadel special attack boosts thanks to its ev spread, as well as providing Fake Out utility. Its grassy terrain helps to sustain naganadel and spectrier, and the three Pokemon provide a good offensive and obnoxious lead regardless of which i send out.
A basically standard ev spread, with the classic obnoxious subdisable moveset. This set is able to function both as a non-max sweeper, and a hair-tearing utility belt all in one. Subsititute is able to dumpster things that Protect simply cant: Urshifu of immediate note. This set is so much fun, and you'll enjoy it too. It is important, however, to play with the fact in mind that you can't touch porygon2 offensively: just neuter some manner of its functionality.
:regirock:
Regirock is a goated mon: this thing is actually insane. Its mere existence deals with dragapult, glastrier and thundurus, and it provides both a fantastic max and endgame option. While I don't particularly mind Landorus-T, Ice Punch is an option if you find yourself struggling with the matchup.
:grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl provides a good pult switch in, as well as a means of hitting dark types like urshifu and moltres hard. Basic Spirit Break + Screens set, with Fake Tears to further enable the two big special hitters on this team.
:gyarados:
Gyarados provides a decent sun check, with intimidate for utility and good water / fly stab. The rest of the team has options to deal with eleki and thundurus, as well as helping out the glastrier matchup. so as long as you can position the board well, those pesky electric types aren't usually an issue.

Of note: This particular version of the team doesn't have a great deal of speed control, mostly relying on base speeds and priority. If consistent speed control is wanted, Scary Face on Grimm or Twave is an acceptable replacement: I just don't prefer it.

https://pokepast.es/46bfd1d6e83fabe9
I know I posted a team already but I wanted to share another team me and Yourwelcomthank came up with for this week. Hope you guys like it!

:spectrier: :mienshao:
Spectrier is the main dmax target on the team being able to snowball so fast after a nasty plot or picking up a KO and getting a boost from its grim neigh ability. Spectrier also picks up defense drops with max phantasm allowing mienshao to deal massage amounts of damage with close combat. Mienshao is a big part of the team boosting garchomp and p2s attack and defense while also dealing big damage with its 125 base attack stat. Mienshao helps beat those pesky dark types that spectrier hates like incineroar, urshifu-single-strike and others. I think this combo is pretty underrated as it stops most forms of trick room with spectrier being able to OHKO dusclops and with a defense drop from max phantasm mienshao can OHKO porygon2. I heavily encourage u guys try it out!

:garchomp:
I wanted a mon who can benefit from mienshaos coaching and came up with garchomp. Garchomp is a really good mon in the meta currently due to its good base defenses and its hard hitting max moves. Garchomp also beats Coalossal which is very hard to stop once it gets going. Chomps great attack stat and natural defenses make it a beast of a dmax user with powerful max moves such as max quake and max rockfall. This garchomp is holding the assault vest letting it survive special attacks like porygon2 ice beam which on most occasions would knock it out

:porygon2:
Now let me explain my thought process, for what I had so far landorus was a major issue to come up against, In fact it almost made me change garchomp to mamoswine. I ended up not going that route, instead I chose porygon2. I remember watching one of aarons videos where he used dmax physical analytic p2. I thought "hey p2 gets ice beam, that oughta scare landorus" And then I took it a step further, I figured I could have p2 dmax next to mienshao and have it benefit from coaching. I was right, the amount of damage porygon2 does with the analytic boost at plus 1 is insane.

:tapu koko:
So basically, I wanted a fairy type as another check to urshifu and immidiately fell in love with Tapu Koko as It also check Galarian Moltres. Tapu Koko also helps with speed control having electroweb and outspeeding most of the meta.

:volcarona:
And finally we have Volcarona. My thought process for this pick was I don't like sun and I wanted a redirector. Volcarona fit the spot perfectly being able to hold the safety goggles and OHKO gmax venusaur in sun while also being able to annoy opponents with wil-o-wisp. Volcaronas base 100 speed stat allows it to outspeed mons like landorus and urshifu allowing volcarona to get a wil-o-wisp off and burn them.It also has the ability to use rage powder and redirect attacks away from my dmax mon or allow spectrier to set up a nasty plot

Hope you guys like the team! And yes I know my first team will be used in the voting but this team was way too cool not to share. Big thanks to Yourwelcomthank again for helping me with the team.

Well my good Spec team is bad with Spec so instead I'm bringing trash
Spectrier
Spectrier has basically 2 jobs. It uses Bulldoze, it debuffs enemies, then it dies. *hit send*

G-Max Garbodor
Okay I said I was bringing and I meant it literally. Moves are Gunk Shot (Main STAB), Rock Blast (for smacking things like Charizard), and Explosion because it's funny to go boom. Weakness Policy means after Bulldoze you have +2 attack and +1 speed. The speed investment means you hit 180 after Bulldoze to outspeed Thundurus-I by 1 point. The bulk was basically just to be a little more tanky. No real reason to invest in defense since you drop after Bulldoze.

Thundurus-I
Well here we go. Nothing too special about this. The main part about this set is that it has Foul Play to hit Metagross. Other than that it's just basical dual STAB + Protect with Life Orb for maximum damage

G-Max Urshifu-S
I decided to give Urshifu a choice band. With Thundurus able to buff speed I slapped a band on it and just go unga-bunga. Choice Band really helps pick up kills that you would miss otherwise.

Kartana
Next we come to Kartana. Not a lot to say here either. Just a normal AV set. 244 in special defense gives you an even spread. Max speed. The remaining 12 were spread across HP, Attack, and Defense to balance it out.

Rotom-H
Because sun is annoying and makes me want to scream sometimes, I added Rotom-H. It outspeeds Adamant 252 Metagross, maximum special attack for damage. Invested into HP then 4 and 4 in the defense for tiny bit of bulk stuff. Goggles means Venusaur can't sleep me so HA

Last edited:
Hello all! I have finally gotten my team prepared for this week, and I really like it. I decided to make a google doc with my building process, EV explanation, and other things. If you do not wish to read it, which I understand, there is a quick overview if you scroll to the bottom of it. I had a lot of fun building this team and it is definitely the most effort I have put into a team.

GUWS
(G(lastrier), U(rshifu) W(ater), S(pectrier))

:spectrier: :glastrier: :urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax::togekiss: :talonflame: :garchomp:

https://pokepast.es/fc803dc7d7fe4eff

Last edited:
Welcome again to the not very good VGC series Voldy Builds Teams! This week, we were all tasked with building a Spectrier team, and upon looking at its moveset, I noticed a move that had a lot of potential: Hex. I liked it because Spectrier by itself can be taken out quite easily, but when its opponents have a lot of nasty status effects that either drop their speed, lower their attack or render them useless, it can really shine and sweep quickly. And as they say, the rest is history.

The team: https://pokepast.es/94e244267b1d829b

:ss/spectrier: :ss/grimmsnarl: :ss/torkoal: :ss/venusaur: :ss/garchomp: :ss/regieleki:

Spectrier really hates Pokemon like Urshifu-S and Moltres-G, and my team has a variety of ways to deal with them. For Urshifu-S, Spectrier can Burn Urshifu(and even if it can't, it's EV'd to just barely live Urshifu), and even 0 Atk Grimmsnarl can kill it with Spirit Break, assuming no sash. Grimmsnarl is also EV'd to outspeed Urshifu at +1 after a Max Airstream from Regieleki. The Sun portion of my team also matches up nicely into Urshifu, even with maxed Thundurus support, because Venusaur can set up Vine Lash, and if Thundurus goes for either Airstream or Knuckle, Torkoal is guaranteed a burn on Thundy and a kill on Urshifu because of Burning Jealousy, reducing Thundurus' damage output for the rest of the game and making it even easier for pokemon like Garchomp or Spectrier to kill it. Moltres-G isn't a problem either - even if they run Raichu Lightning Rod to try and prevent Regieleki from damaging Moltres-G with super-effective Electric-type attacks, Regieleki has a move called Screech, and Garchomp really, really, really likes the Screech drop. Against things like WP Dragapult and Follow Me redirection, I can lead Torkoal + Venu -> I can put Clefairy to sleep and burn Dragapult, because if Dragapult goes for Dragon Dance, it's burned, and if it goes for Airstream, it's burned, greatly reducing its damage output. Then, I can either Hex with Spectrier or Max Wyrmwind with Garchomp, with either Grimmsnarl or Regieleki as support options. Also, I have Taunt Spectrier, which shuts down Clef Follow Me on turn one, and of course the aforementioned Burning Jealousy not only disrupts the enemy team but gives Spectrier free ammunition for a superpowered Hex.

For most other teams, it will most likely look like a combo of Sun/Garchomp + Eleki for the lead, and the Horse in the Back to capitalise on the multitudes of statuses plaguing the opposing team, or if it's follow me + set up, I can run Spectrier + Torkoal, with Grimmsnarl in the back to seal the fates of anyone who decides to keep their statused pokemon in the field, thus giving Spectrier the opportunity to snowball.

This team also packs a few somewhat underused sets for pokemon, like WP Venusaur(to punish opponents that simply just want to Max Airstream into it, while also turning Venusaur into a possible serious offensive threat), and Physical Regieleki(to give it an option of boosting its own speed in max, while also being able to capitalize on its Screech drops).

Team EVs:
  • Spectrier's EVs allow it to outspeed opposing Spectrier that are EV'd to outspeed the Genies, ensuring that either my Spectrier will move last(agianst a 252/252 spread) or move first(against a Spectrier that is EV'd to outspeed Genies or Garchomp or Zard or Entei or Urshifu-S) consistently. It also allows Spectrier to live a non-banded Urshifu Wicked Blow.
  • Venusaur is EV'd to, again, outspeed opposing Venusaur that are EV'd to outspeed Regieleki in Sun, again guaranteeing that either Venusaur will move last, or it will move first, and not rely on a speed tie, which is fickle, random, and could end up screwing up entire games.
  • Grimmsnarl is EV'd to outspeed Urshifu-S at +1, in endgames where I'm facing Urshifu-S with maxed Regieleki and Grimmsnarl, ensuring that I can pick up the KO.
  • Regieleki's EVs serve its purpose: go as fast as possible, spread as much paralysis as possible/max and deal the most damage possible/lower as much defense as possible for the rest of my team.
  • Torkoal and Garchomp were the two main pokemon I was really worried about in terms of EVs, because there were a lot of strategies that I had in mind that involved one or the other with the other pokemon on my team, and they usually needed to be kept alive for more than one turn, while still dealing ample amounts of damage. So I did a lot of calcs to ensure that they covered all of the bases I needed them to cover.
4+ SpA Charcoal Torkoal Burning Jealousy vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Kartana in Sun: 268-324 (80.7 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torkoal: 61-72 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Torkoal on a critical hit: 79-94 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 27.7% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Torkoal on a critical hit: 76-91 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO(same EV amount as 252 HP / 0 Def but the chance of being 2HKOed is much smaller)
252 Atk Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 240 HP / 12 Def Torkoal on a critical hit: 76-91 (43.4 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO(same EV amount as 248 HP / 4 Def, but the chance of being 2HKOed is essentially the same)
196+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 12 Def Torkoal: 146-174 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Torkoal: 150-176 (85.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO(As you can see however, Tork has a chance of being OHKOed by Lando-T with 248 HP / 4 Def, whereas that possibility is null with 240 HP / 12 Def)
252+ SpA Coalossal-Gmax Max Overgrowth vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Garchomp: 73-87 (19.9 - 23.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ SpA Coalossal-Gmax G-Max Volcalith vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Garchomp: 54-65 (14.7 - 17.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Volcalith damage
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Max Quake vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Dynamax Coalossal-Gmax: 208-252 (48.1 - 58.3%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO(-1 After Dragapult or Intim drops)
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Max Wyrmwind vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 88-105 (47.5 - 56.7%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO(similar thing as the calc above)
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Garchomp: 286-343 (78.1 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(After Wyrmwind, Mamo's attack is at -1)
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Max Wyrmwind vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Landorus-Therian: 81-96 (24.6 - 29.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO(after Intimidate, and with the Screech drops this turns into an almost-guaranteed 2HKO)
-1 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Max Airstream vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Garchomp: 84-99 (22.9 - 27%) -- 41.7% chance to 4HKO(After Wyrmwind)
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Landorus-Therian Max Airstream vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Garchomp: 109-129 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 14.6% chance to 3HKO(Also after Wyrmwind)

In hindsight, I may have wrote too much, but I genuinely hope you guys find this team interesting and fun to play!

Last edited:
:ss/spectrier: :ss/incineroar: :ss/clefairy: :ss/glastrier: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/gastrodon:

Welcome again to my VGC team building competition team! I am here to showcase my new team of offensive AV Incineroar+, and I hope you enjoy using team!

Team:Double Horse+ Offensive AV Incineroar

Spectrier, the main star of the team really just gets a boost up or immediately just try's to get a koes. This spread is an adaptation of Jean Paul's Spectrier set. Spectrier really abuses the support from Spectrier or Incineroar.

Spectrier and Clefairy is an amazing duo which just allows Spectrier to abuse Friend Guard, Follow Me, and Helping Hand. Clefairy does really deal with Urshifu too with Moonblast. The support coming out of Clefairy is very valuable.

This is the Incineroar spread I am very proud of this spread because it really does interesting things. Not only that it hits for great damage, it tricks players into thinking the set is standard defensive Incineroar. This also allows my set to beat opposing Incineroars in a 1v1 situation. That's really all the set does.

The Rilaboom is made to deal with most of Incineroar's weaknesses which make them synergize very nicely. It also puts a lot of more pressure to an opponent's team. Rillaboom is also a very strong offensive lead for my team to abuse a possible end-game Glastrier/Spectrier.

Glastrier gives me a much better matchup against Venusaur which we want as well as resisting Ice and, beating Flying types. Double horse in series 7/9 is pretty good so, making this team is fun. At least when not from my opponents side.

Gastrodon was on the team to cover our weaknesses and, I was kind of desperate for a last Pokemon slot while this fits perfectly. I have a much better Incineroar matchup and, get to beat Politoed Kingdra leads while still destroying Regieleki and a proper Incineroar check. Gastrodon is honestly very under looked right now because of Rillaboom, but with the right team support you could make it work especially with it's ability Storm Drain.

Calculations/Notes: Spectrier's HP investment is for optimizing for Vinelash / Wildfire/ cannonade damage.

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Single Strike Wicked Blow vs. 60 HP / 156 Def Dynamax Spectrier on a critical hit with Friend Guard: 279-330 (76.2 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm (130 BP) vs. 60 HP / 44 SpD Dynamax Spectrier with Friend Guard: 292-345 (79.7 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Glastrier Max Hailstorm (130 BP) vs. 60 HP / 156 Def Dynamax Spectrier with Friend Guard: 308-364 (84.1 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Zapdos Max Airstream (140 BP) vs. -2 60 HP / 44 SpD Dynamax Spectrier with Friend Guard: 281-331 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Regigigas Max Darkness (130 BP) vs. 60 HP / 156 Def Dynamax Spectrier: 270-320 (73.7 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Clefairy: 252+ Atk Life Orb Glastrier Max Hailstorm (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 140-165 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Made to survive at full HP with the addition of hail chip)

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 126-150 (71.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Dragapult Max Phantasm (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 110-133 (62.1 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Incineroar: Optimized hp for sand/hail chip 252 SpA Life Orb Kingdra Muddy Water vs. 244 HP / 92+ SpD Assault Vest Incineroar in Rain: 109-127 (54.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+3 252 SpA Moltres-Galar Max Airstream (130 BP) vs. 244 HP / 92+ SpD Assault Vest Incineroar: 139-165 (69.1 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Urshifu-Single Strike Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Incineroar: 146-174 (72.6 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

148+ Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. -1 252 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Glastrier: 230-272 (55.5 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rillaboom: Optimized for hail/sand chip
Made to outpower jolly rillabooms by 1 point

Gastrodon: Also optimized for chip damage
252 Atk Life Orb Glastrier Max Hailstorm (130 BP) vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Gastrodon: 165-196 (76 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Gastrodon: 165-196 (76 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Single Strike Wicked Blow vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Gastrodon on a critical hit: 165-195 (76 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Dynamax Gastrodon with Friend Guard: 315-372 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is all, I hope you enjoy using this team!

Last edited:

jonas

put your hands to the constellations
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
Team hours before sub deadline
https://pokepast.es/162930f852aa90f1
A team I built based on one made by my friend baars which he used to win the Hexa Cup
AV Thundurus is very strong against sun, but ally switch is very hard to beat
Clef Spec Dominates every neutral matchup and even beats a lot of glastrier tr
urshifu and band rillaboom Are very good for cleanup
Incineroar helps beat amoongus and is a very solid lead against grimm p2

I used this team to topcut the zelda tour, and get more topcuts at some smaller tours, like mount silver

Sorry for this im really low energy haha

Jesus, wow that was a turnout if I have ever seen one. We got a whopping 26 TEAMS. That's insane guys! Anyways, this week we have a new voting system, sorta. Instead of just voting for your top 5 favorite teams, you can now vote for a MINIMUM of 5 teams and vote for a MAXIMUM of 10 teams. These numbers will change if we get less of a turnout, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes there. Anyhow, let's get voting!

Team A by Raineko
:ss/Spectrier: :ss/Sylveon: :ss/Amoonguss: :ss/Regieleki: :ss/Tyranitar: :ss/Landorus-Therian:
https://pokepast.es/3b54ddac2062bbb7

Gather Round everybody!

I mean literally, Round. Spectrier is punished by a couple forces of nature that go by the names "Urshifu" and "Galarian Moltres", so I wished to address this matter immediately! So I went shopping in the "Usually Useless Moves" section, and saw just the move: Round. This brings in the Pokemon that would crush these Dark-types, once and for all - Sylveon. I fell in love with the idea the second I saw it, as we had just been talking about ranking the ribbon-y creature on the VR. Quick Attack is a great tool to solo-pressure Urshifu-S, as well as being used as a tool for self-proc'ing Weakness Policy. Amoonguss comes in to be an annoying mon, redirecting for Spectrier to stay alive and setup and spreading sleep nobody else. Regieleki serves as an additional check to Moltres-G, while also being a pest to Tapu Fini. Physical is an unexpected set for most people, as Max Airstream and Wild Charge can help overcome the likes of Venusaur, Moltres-G and so on. Landorus-T is here to be one of the checks for Incineroar and Heatran that can otherwise be annoying for me. The Tyranitar slot was initially my own Moltres-G as a QA self-proc idea, but Netherious reminded me that Glastrier exists. So I added Tyranitar as a measure for this, as well as being a pest to some of the aforementioned threats and giving me the opportunity to control the weather to my heart's desire.

Random spread information:
252 Atk Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 44 HP / 124 Def Spectrier: 152-180 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Critical in ensuring that I can get a Round into that slot if needs be.
The Speed is such that I outspeed the genies (hits 180, their max is 179)

252+ Atk Metagross Iron Head vs. 188 HP / 212 Def Sylveon: 168-198 (86.5 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 188 HP / 212 Def Sylveon: 144-170 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 188 HP / 212 Def Sylveon: 168-198 (86.5 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 188 HP / 212 Def Sylveon: 146-174 (75.2 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Ooze vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 148-174 (76.2 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Coalossal-Gmax G-Max Volcalith vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 153-180 (78.8 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Volcalith damage

Okay this is a bunch of stuff it can live, there probably exists more. I could invest more to always live x things, but really, it's not 100% worth it considering I can't duel really any of these. It's just nice to be able to live stuff so that I can, say, achieve a self-proc or kill the partner.

Landorus-T outspeeds Modest Heatran, as well as having great bulk into things like Tapu Fini and opposing Spectrier.

36+ Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Tyranitar: 78-92 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO

Can be used as an alternate means of activating Tyranitar's Weakness Policy

Amoonguss is super standard, and HP is optimised for Regenerator.
Tyranitar is Max Max, but it's an 81.3% chance to OHKO Glastrier with a +2 Rockfall, only increased if they don't replace my sand.

I am double tagging but Netherious thanks for dealing with my PMs in building this, you were super helpful in helping me realise an issue with something I was otherwise enamoured with.
Team B by Nexonus
https://pokepast.es/19a983a49fca4472 I was always annoyed with how spectriers stab max move didnt benifit them in any way. So i changed that with physical wp spec. Ferromosa to out speed the spec and self foul play and coaching . Fini helps verse urishfu and potential burns if my opponet where to catch on that im not special , and eleki is there to slow things down and screech away. The fini set is meant to distract and annoy your opponent because of how its going to be constantly healing. The funny mushroom is to mess with potential tr teams. The incin is pretty normal, and
Team C by Bluepanther512
https://pokepast.es/37c0ec504b399818
Spectreir- It's the builder so its here
Diggersby- It nicely checks dark types
Clefairy & Urshifu- They good
Arcanine and Blacephelon- What if you got a 150 BP move 3 times? What if it also powered up your other pokemon?
Team D by CreeperClash
Here i am again, last time i posted a really really bad aggron team, today im gonna try and be a bit more straight, but still be a bit unique and today our special guest is cinderace

:ss/spectrier: :ss/tapu lele: :ss/landorus therian: :ss/cinderace: :ss/zapdos: :ss/urshifu-rapid-strike:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
PASTE: https://pokepast.es/b983a7c7ca2ce22c
:ss/spectrier:
the star of this competition, it's a standard nasty plot set, shadow ball is strong stab that helps hit ghosts for tapu lele, mud shot hits those elekis for urshifu, hyper beam is... hyper beam and thats all you need to know nothing special sadly

:ss/tapu lele:
it's common knowledge that if your running spectrier you need a dark type counter, lele fits this perfectly, scarf allows it to outspeed a lot of things, and then go for the kill, also shadow sneak to spectrier is like a....*slap*...that. a common lead is spectier and tapu lele, nasty plot is set up more easily with psychic terrain and overall lele can do some damage

:ss/landorus therian:
lando is easy to explain, it covers poison and steel weaknesses for lele and has great synergy with urshifu and zapdos (i'll get to them later) now why do i have a choice band well when making lando i couldn't decide what item would be, so i went with choice band since another good lead of this team is lando and zapdos, u turn is just there as a pivot, although i might suggest and optional focus sash with u turn being replaced for any optional filler moves, but thats just if you want to

:ss/cinderace:
this is where things get interesting, i bet you think cinderace helps lando and kills ice and has high jump kick for rock types, well yes, but no, cinderace is here as an (almost) anti meta pick, being able to hit metagross, glastrier, and sun, it also helps check incineraor with high jump kick (if it hits) and also with white herb, cinderace is also just really powerful, having stab on every move it has with libero, water types and flying types are stil a problem, thats where our next mon comes in

:ss/zapdos:
okay i bet your first question is "why not eleki" 1. i hate amoonguss 2. zapdos also helps with the meta 3. zapdos is bulky pog 4. eleki is overrated zapdos hits fighting types for urhsifu, water types for cinderace and lando, technically hits ice types with heat wave, and heals with roost getting rid of its flying type, and making it so that way ice types and rock types cant hit it anymore which is amazing, zapdos is one of the key parts of this team

:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike:
i didn't know who else i could put at this point, so looking through my options i saw urshifu rapid strike was my best choice, it helps zapdos and lando and also is another dark type hitter for spectrier, i didn't know what item to put so i thought since we're using urshifu for coverage expert belt would be nice you can also take the sash of spectrier and put it on urshifu and then put a life orb on spectrier, and that concludes the report!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

this team is one of the more developed teams i've made and im pretty proud of it, i hope i can get more votes this time in the competition but good luck to everyone else!
Team E by Gfazzo
https://pokepast.es/11626903c2a8f0b6
I've brought u guys some double horse +mienshao gaming today
:ss/spectrier:
So first up we have the star of the week Spectrier, I've seen a lot of success with this mon, It hits hard and after picking up just 1 ko its almost impossible to stop. I stole this spread from Jean Paul who managed to get top 4 in PC2 with it, its very bulky from what you can see but spectrier needs barely any spatk investment to hit hard. The spread is calced for things like banded urshifu wicked blow, non banded and even max atk life orb dragapult max phantasms paired next to clefairy

:ss/mienshao:
Next up is a mon who doesn't get enough love and one of my personal favorites to use . Mienshao has a relatively fast speed stat and a high attack stat. It has access to moves like fake out, helping hand, coaching, knock off, taunt and a lot more. Mienshao I would say is a big part of the team, from the way I play at least. It has the ability inner focus, meaning it is not effected by intimidate and cannot flinch. Against tr leads like dusclops+incin I lead spectrier+mienshao and either taunt it with mienshao and max quake the incin or max phantasm the dusclops normally picking up the ko and cc the incin. It also provides coaching so I could lead it with glastrier and give my glastrier Atk and Def boosts. I think mienshaos an amazing mon and can ramble on about it for hours, now lets move on

:ss/glastrier:
Next we have pretty standard Glastrier max hp max atk, This glastrier has swords dance to help punish switches along with clefairys follow me I can basically get one up for free. At first this slot was mamoswine but it was too frail, Glastrier provides me with a trick room answer along with an answer to Garchomp and Landorus

:ss/clefairy:
Another one of my favorites this series is clefairy, the friend guard ability comes in so handy for living hits. Clefairy also gives another response to urshifu, redirecting atks from our dynamax pokemon is also super helpful along with the potential to set up with nasty plot/swords dance with our other mons. Clefairy is just the overall perfect support mon and helps benefit the team in so many ways

:ss/regieleki:
Next up is regieleki I wanted a mon who could help me gain speed control and no one does that better than regieleki. Also holding the magnet allowing it to do even more damage with STAB thunderbolts and even max lightnings.

:ss/Moltres-galar:
In testing I found facing mons like indeedee dragapult and opposing spectrier hard due to having any resists to their attacks, So adding Moltres-g helped me out a lot with that as it beats all 3 of them in the 1v1. The spread is pretty simple I ran enough speed to outspeed regieleki at plus 2, max special attack, and threw the rest into hp. Giving moltres the safety goggles made it a primary candidate to use vs sun teams being immune to venusaurs sleep powder and resisting its atks.

I love spectrier and think its by far one of the best pokemon in the format as of right now with its unbelievable raw power, I wanted to shed sum light onto mienshao as well just because I think its a very cool pokemon and pairs insanely well with spectrier and glastrier.

Calcs: 252 Atk Life Orb Dragapult Max Phantasm vs. 44 HP / 212 Def Dynamax Spectrier: 307-361 (84.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 44 HP / 212 Def Dynamax Spectrier with an ally's Friend Guard on a critical hit: 258-306 (71.2 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mienshao Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Incineroar: 192-228 (95 - 112.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mienshao Close Combat vs. -1 252 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 194-230 (101 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mienshao Close Combat vs. -1 252 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Glastrier: 240-284 (57.9 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(double up of phantasm n cc ko if not av)
Team F by smogon account
https://pokepast.es/119553d157e790a0
:spectrier: :tapu_lele: :moltres-galar: :klinklang: :garchomp: :incineroar:

first order of business
bulldoze set to proc weakness policy on klinklang; tentacruel is the only pokemon faster than it that synergizes with bulldoze, but tentacruel probably can't kill things even with +2.
:klinklang:
Its physical movepool is hot garbage so I almost went back to tentacruel, but this should be fine... right?
:tapu_lele:
same old same old
they're a package deal
:garchomp:
I wanted a dragon to complete a fantasy core within lele/klinklang/third and garchomp seems good so I threw that on
:incineroar:
furry tax
Team G by AaPokemon
Teambuilding competetion - Spectrier Silvally (pokepast.es)
The general strategy is to lead Whimsicott Silvally. Silvally goes for turn 1 Explosion bringing opponents down to KO range of Spectrier's Shadow Ball/ Max Phantasm. If the opponent double protects turn 1 I get Whimsicott to Endeavor range and free Tailwind. In either one of these scenarios, I get Tailwind up and Spectrier a chance to come in and sweep. Also sorry if this post was poorly written, I'm bad at writing forum posts.
Team H by ChrystalFalchion
Hello there, throwing my hat into the ring because Wynaut, here is a sand team that uses Spectrier. Man I love having a meta where Ttar is viable again.

Importable

Breakdown

Spectrier provides fast support for my team in the form of Taunt and Will-O-Wisp. On this team it's a better choice than Dragapult as it doesn't stack weaknesses with Tyranitar and Dracozolt. The EVs are pretty straightforward, max Speed max HP. Shadow Ball is a decently strong attack. Bulldoze lets Tyranitar proc its Weakness Policy, and since it's very fast and immune to Fake Out, it will nearly always go first. It also gets around redirection. Safety Goggles is used as Mienshao is holding the Focus Sash and it takes away the damage from Sandstorm.

Pretty standard Ttar set, nothing to write home about. Rock Slide is a great spammable STAB. Lash Out lets me take advantage of Bulldoze's Speed drops and opposing Snarls. Superpower has fantastic coverage with Ttar's STABs, and gives me Max Knuckle when dynamaxed. Tyranitar's job on this team is both to hit really hard and provide Sandstorm support for Dracozolt. Great bulk and lots of weaknesses make Tyranitar a fantastic Weakness Policy abuser. The only weird thing on my Ttar is the EVs, but there is method in my madness. Jolly with 152 EVs outruns Urshifu at +1 and Dragapult at +2, so if they have an Urshifu I can dynamax Dracozolt, use Max Airstream and then pummel it with Superpower (note doesn't work on Urshifu-R).

I chose Dracozolt over Dracovish as it has much better synergy with Tyranitar in my opinion. It resists the Steel, Water and Grass moves Tyranitar is weak to, and it can Dynamax without cutting off the Sand. It also checks Venusaur that lack Earth Power, as it resists G Max Vine Lash and can set up Electric Terrain to block Sleep Powder. Bolt Beak is the main Attack, hitting like a truck if it goes first, which in Sand it usually will be as it outruns Timid Regieleki at +2. Dragon Claw hits the Dragon types that resist Bolt Beak hard. Protect is standard in VGC, while Pluck lets me steal opposing Berries. It also gives me a Speed boost with Max Airstream, so I'm not as reliant on Sand and Tailwind support.

So with 2 Pokemon weak to both Fairy types and Landorus-T, I needed another sweeper that can deal with both of those Pokemon. Enter Celesteela. This is running an offensive spread, as defensive Celesteela is much too passive for this heavily offensive team. Meteor Beam lets Celesteela boost its Special Attack without Beast Boost, and when Dynamaxed it lets me reset Sandstorm. Air Slash is a reasonably strong STAB that also gives me Max Airstream when maxed. Lastly, Fire Blast lets me scorch opposing Steel types. EVs are simple, max Seed max Special Attack. Power Herb means I don't have to charge Meteor Beam. I didn't run Autotomize as I have Tailwind support and can boost with Max Airstream. Spectrier can also slow faster mons down with Bulldoze.

Standard support Whimsicott, the only difference is it's running a Coba Berry which lets it live a Max Airstream from non Life Orb Thundurus (Life Orb has a 43.8% chance to OHKO) with the given EVs). Tailwind gives Dracozolt a nice Speed boost outside Sand, letting it get the most from Bolt Beak. Protect blocks Fake Out. Moonblast is there in case Whimsicott gets Taunted; it can also trigger Tyranitar's Weakness Policy. Charm is used to subdue physical attackers, mainly the Ground types that Tyranitar and Dracozolt are weak to like Garchomp and Landorus-T. Max Speed and max HP give Whimsicott the most opportunities to fire off Tailwind and Charm.

Last but not least, Mienshao provides a great answer to Incineroar and opposing Tyranitar. Great Speed + Fake Out immunity means it can nearly always get a Coaching off, making Dracozolt and Tyranitar absolute monsters. For reference at +1 Def, Dynamaxed Tyranitar comfortably lives a Strong Jaw boosted Fishious Rend from Scarf Dracovish ( 252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. +1 104 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Tyranitar: 210-248 (55.8 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Fake Out lets me pressure opponents and get off some free damage. Close Combat wallops Incineroar and opposing Tyranitar. Coaching lets it power up Dracozolt and Tyranitar - even Celesteela appreciated the Defence boost. U-turn lets it safely bring in a teammate - it can also trigger Tyranitar's Weakness Policy.
Team I (i) by misticMd
https://pokepast.es/44ee5c3a3b515f82 :spectrier: :rillaboom: :rotom-heat: :moltres-galar: :mamoswine: :clefairy: grassy seed spectrier. I made the team with Yourwelcomthank.
At first we had spectrier and rillaboom.Rillaboom deals with rain, gives us priority, and pops seed for spectrier also its just a nice hard hitter for the team. Rillaboom activates Spectrier's Grassy Seed and with Assault Vest gives us a great answer to rain and regieleki.

Spectrier is the main pokemon, with clefairy it can nasty plot and possibly pull off a sweep and its the pokemon we're building around. Grassy seed is useful because it helps a wide variety of physical threats not even being 2hkod by Life Orb Glastrier max hailstorm for example The bulk granted by Grassy Seed gives moltres-galar an easier time setting up its Nasty Plot. There are other physical threats it helps with too, for example regirock,garchomp, kartana, thundurus, stakataka, and mamoswine.

Rotom-heat is a glastrier check for the team. Rotom-Heat is also a venukoal check with safety goggles.

Moltres-Galar is an opposing spectrier/ clef spectrier check since at this time we lost to opposing clef spectrier and it supports the team with speed boosts from max airstream and just another nice hitter for the team.

Next we have Mamoswine, mamoswine serves as a check to landorus-therian, regieleki, and more.

Next we have clefairy. Clefairy is a redirector for the team, also clef spectrier seemed nice, follow me nasty plot then sweep. And with Helping Hand it can boost an attack for its allies and make its ally hit really hard.
Team J by SizzleySnom
https://pokepast.es/667f885341a6768b

The Pokemon that was given was Spectrier, so I started looking around for interesting ideas. The first one was Bulldoze + WP + Clear Body shenanigans, but that was really only viable on Metagross, and I didn't want to stack up 2 ghost/dark weaknesses right off the bat. Registeel/Regirock looked promising, but they were too slow and needed TR. I settled on a Life Orb Nasty Plot set that I was quite happy with, given the instant power of not needing to Nasty Plot up first (unlike Rotom-H or Rotom-W.)
I then looked around for redirection in case Spectrier needed to get a Nasty Plot or just needed a free turn. Since Spectrier was really weak to things like Dragapult and Urshifu-Single-Strike, I liked the idea of a Fairy-Type redirection Pokemon and debated over Clefairy and Togekiss. Clefairy was the better choice as A) Clefairy has Friend Guard, which reduces damage from moves like Fiery Wrath, Earthquake, and Heat Wave, and B) has access to the single-target fairy move Moonblast, which avoids activating unnecessary Weakness Policy.
After getting the Spectrier + Clefairy core, I looked around for an offensive fire type that WASN'T RELIANT ON SUN OR TRICK ROOM. This was important so that the rest of my team wouldn't end up being TR-centric (because Spectrier doesn't like Trick Room) and Sun needs Torkoal, Venusaur, and sometimes Charizard, which stacks a lot of weaknesses and wasn't ideal. Incineroar may have been a better choice (but it's speed is so slow, and it's more supportive anyways,) so I landed on Cinderace. A STAB 160 BP move upon Gigantamaxing, and it had White Herb to stop Intimidate (at least once.)
A good steel type looked good after Spectrier / Clefairy / Cinderace, but Excadrill needed Sand, Registeel as mentioned before was too slow and had lacking offensive power, so I picked Weakness Policy Celesteela. It only has a meager 61 base speed, but can quickly be raised through Max Airstream. Giga Drain was chosen over Flamethrower to hit Tapu Fini harder, and I already had Cinderace. The spread garuntees a 2HKO from Timid 252 SpA Magnet Regieleki's Max Lightning when Dynamaxed. But I needed a Weakness Policy activator, and a mon that handled the Moltres-Galar matchup well. It took a while, but I settled on Safety Goggles Raichu. The spread lives a 252 SpA (non-Life Orb) Venusaur-Gmax Max Quake, and Volt Switch activates Weakness Policy. Fake Out because it's Fake Out, and Eerie Impulse to stop Moltres-Galar, Charizard (I have enough speed to outspeed Zard by 1 point) and other Special Attackers.
At this point, I wanted some Intimidate (that WASN'T INCINEROAR) so I picked Landorus-T because that was the next obvious choice. AV made it decently specially bulky and could serve as a Tapu Fini check (EQ does a lot to Fini 1v1) and was just a good pokemon in general. The spread was just nabbed off of Pikalytics, so I don't exactly know what it does.
Anyways, here's some quick calcs for the team:</p><p>SPECTRIER:
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Metagross: 374-445 (100 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Spe Spectrier at -1 (120) vs 172 Spe Metagross (112) - still faster after Bulldoze.
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 220 HP / 28 SpD Rillaboom-Gmax: 220-259 (108.3 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Helping Hand Max Phantasm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dynamax Glastrier: 469-554 (113.2 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Nasty Plot when TR goes up, then Helping Hand. Spectrier doesn't die to a Max Hailstorm if it's Dynamaxed.)
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Helping Hand Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 132+ SpD Incineroar: 250-296 (123.7 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 28 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Dragapult: 437-515 (130.8 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I guess it could Phantom Force, but...
CLEFAIRY:
(This mon actually has ONE offensive use...)
0 SpA Clefairy Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Urshifu: 132-160 (75.4 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
VERSUS
0 SpA Clefairy Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Urshifu: 216-256 (123.4 - 146.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And that's why Clefairy has Moonblast over Dazzling Gleam. Otherwise, max Defense is just to live physical hits from *ahem* Urshifu-S
CINDERACE-GMAX:
212 Atk Cinderace-Gmax G-Max Fire Ball vs. 220 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 266-314 (131 - 154.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212 Atk Libero Cinderace-Gmax High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Incineroar: 188-224 (93 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
(White Herb mitigates Intimidate)
212 Atk Cinderace-Gmax Helping Hand G-Max Fire Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Landorus-Therian: 201-237 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 Atk Cinderace-Gmax Helping Hand G-Max Fire Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Thundurus: 246-289 (79.3 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 Atk Libero Cinderace-Gmax Max Knuckle vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 130-154 (70.2 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Nihilego Meteor Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Cinderace-Gmax: 95-112 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- 54.2% chance to 3HKO [after Libero-Fighting]
CELESTEELA:
+2 252+ SpA Celesteela Max Steelspike vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Moltres-Galar: 177-208 (53.3 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(And I can Eerie Impulse)
+2 252+ SpA Celesteela Max Overgrowth vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Tapu Fini: 188-222 (106.2 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(No Calm Mind)
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Max Lightning vs. 20 HP / 124 SpD Dynamax Celesteela: 244-291 (69.7 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magnet Transistor Regieleki Max Lightning vs. 20 HP / 124 SpD Dynamax Celesteela: 294-348 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Max Lightning vs. 20 HP / 12 Def Dynamax Celesteela: 257-304 (73.4 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
RAICHU:
0 SpA Raichu Volt Switch vs. 20 HP / 124 SpD Dynamax Celesteela: 66-78 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Venusaur-Gmax Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Raichu: 136-162 (81.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Venusaur-Gmax G-Max Vine Lash vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Raichu: 109-130 (65.2 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Vine Lash damage
LANDORUS-THERIAN:
No calcs. The spread was just nabbed off Pikalytics, as mentioned above.
ENDING THOUGHTS: Holy crap, I wrote waaaaay too much for this team report. I hope I make it into the top 5! =D
- Snom

EDIT: Cinderace has 12 HP EVs.
Team K by tqew
https://pokepast.es/aa717b8b4098f77e - The team
I wanted to build a dual horses team, so I started with the mons clefairy, spectrier, and glastrier. I knew it was weak to shuca incin, so I was thinking of water types. I originally had urshifu-ss, but as the kanto starters g-max move residual damage is broken, I changed it to blastoise(thanks to frogtypebeat for the inspiration). It also had the advantage of not losing to landorus-t that had a previous airstream boost or fake out pressure with its partner. I wanted a ground switch in, so I added Moltres-galar which also helps in the spectrier clefairy mirror. I knew I didn't have many ways to hit tapu fini, leading me to add rillaboom as the 6th mon.
Spectrier was here for obvious reasons, being that is was the center of this weeks teambuilding competition. The set is generic, with Jean Pual VGC's spread, but with hyper beam over dark pulse for max strike.
The 2nd part to the infamous specclef core, the spread and set are generic.
:glastrier:
This pokemon is a beast, and covers a lot of mons that check spectrier like moltres galar. It is a mon commonly paired with spectrier and clefairy. The ev's are generic, and swords dance is used to counter intimidate.
:blastoise-gmax:
While this mon may lack in damage output, its g-max move's residual damage is amazing. It also has support out of max with fake out, ice beam is there over blizzard for consistency. The speed ev's are to outspeed base 100's that are at -1 or if blastoise is a +1 speed.
Moltres helps with opposing spectrier, while also being a solid mon in general. I gave it grassy seed because I didn' know what else to give it and it helps getting a nasty plot off. Its speed is to outspeed regieleki after 2 airstreams and also outspeeds base 130's after an airstream boost.
Rillaboom is here to check tapu fini and other water types this team has problem hitting for good damage. It also provides fake out pressure and chunks even nutral hits with grassy glide.

252+ SpA Life Orb Blastoise Max Geyser vs. 244 HP / 188+ SpD Incineroar: 226-268 (112.4 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 244 HP / 4 Def Tapu Fini in Grassy Terrain: 176-210 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Moltres-Galar Helping Hand Max Airstream vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Venusaur: 306-362 (98 - 116%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Team K2 by Helios of Sun
My submission for Week 2 will be this team:
https://pokepast.es/98e392c4bbc5d049

When building a Spectrier team, a few things I had in mind, was that I wanted to find a mon that was able to heavily capitalize on defense drops while retaining the option to just go for the standard SpecClef stuff. With this in mind, I created that abomination of a team.

So here are some of the teambuilding notes:
  1. Dracovish to abuse Defense drops from Max Phantasm
  2. Clefairy to aid Spectrier for early SpecClef shenanigans
  3. Incineroar and Glastrier to aid in the SunRoom matchup
  4. Tapu Lele for help against Dark Types, and for terrain changing (aiding the Rillaboom matchup)
So these were the primary things that I had in mind while building the team. So about the sets:

Dracovish:
Adamant 196 Speed to just underspeed Spectrier at 180 Speed. For the moves, most of the time Fishious Rend is the move of choice, and it most likely will not click anything else, apart from the occasional Ice Fang and Dragon Rush.

Clefairy and Spectrier:
The standard tried and true combo. Spectrier is able to safely Nasty Plot behind Clefairy, and then unload massive amounts of damage with it's Max moves. Also the primary dynamaxer of the team. Spectrier spread also allows it to survive one Wicked Blow from a Focus Sash variant in Dynamax.

Incineroar:
Primarily here for Intimidate. The team itself is very weak to mons such as Garchomp and Rillaboom otherwise, and will need the Intimidate support to aid in these matchups.

Glastrier:
The secondary dynamaxing option. It is primarily here in order to beat everything that Spectrier cannot beat. With a Swords Dance boost, it is able to one shot nearly everything with a Max move.

Tapu Lele:
At this point, Tapu Lele's job here is quite simple. Help against the pesky Dark Types, and to set up a Terrain. Resetting Rillaboom's terrain is huge for Spectrier, Clefairy and Dracovish against Rillaboom, while it is able to deal large amounts of damage with Psychic-terrain boosted Psychic, or with Moonblasts/Dazzling Gleams.
Team L by Microwave Raccoon
:landorus-therian::spectrier::stakataka::indeedee-f::torkoal::venusaur:
https://pokepast.es/bf2ea2d75799ab71
THE SUSPECTRIER SUNROOM

I'm going to be honest and say I was feeling completely lost while building a team using Spectrier, I didn't want to use an offensive build and have my team fall into the hyper offense pit, but I also didn't want to run a support set since I'd always end up with some messy bulldoze stuff. But then, after scrolling through its movepool for a bit, I saw two colorful options that inspired this entire team...

:ss/Landorus-Therian: :ss/Spectrier:

On a surface level, these two don't seem to work together all that well, they don't have any anti synergy, but neither of them have options that really cover each other's weaknesses. However, Spectrier has access to haze, an incredible speed tier and an immunity to fake out. This is perfect for something like life orb Landorus-T, a complete powerhouse that needed no boosts to deal damage but is often crippled by intimidate. Being able to haze away intimidate drops reverts Landorus back to the nuclear weapon we all know and love. Lando's power is further increased by tail whip, a move that drops the defense of both opponents by 1 stage, allowing Lando to hit even harder. Lando is often punished on lead by Thundurus as well, giving it +1 to its attack because of defiant, Spectrier can easily haze away these boosts away, hindering Thundurus' offensive presence. Landorus set is standard, nothing to see there, Spectrier acts as both support and offense, decked out with nasty plot and a stab move in shadow ball for some of that good old Spectrier fun next to one of the next two members, Indeedee!

:ss/Stakataka: :ss/Indeedee-F:

I think we all know what these two do, Indeedee keeps Stakataka safe while it sets up trick room, then Stak steals the show and starts its killing spree. There is something suspicious about this Stak set though, wouldn't you say? A lonely nature with a 17 defense IV makes it so that Stak will get an attack boost instead of a defense boost when it gets a kill, for most Stakatakas boosting attack isn't that important, since defense boosts will help set up for body press spam late-game. Its a cool set, but I just don't like it, having to wait for dynamax to expire to deal significant damage after dynamax runs out just feels awkward in a lot of scenarios, and being able to snowball with beast boost while maxed seemed a lot more appealing. Since I had given my Indeedee a focus sash to help against Regigigas, it would not be able to defend its teammates from the deadly Amoonguss' spores. This led me to give Stak heat crash over body press, since I was no longer getting defense boosts from beast boost and was lowering my own defense with the lonely nature and IVs, I opted for heat crash to hit Amoonguss which could otherwise survive a hit and fire back with a spore. Heat crash is also boosted by the sun, which is a nice transition to the final pair.

:ss/Torkoal: :ss/Venusaur:

I noticed the team had a big water weakness and lack of Pokemon who could abuse TR, so of course I added the dynamic duo. Venusaur is an incredible answer to the many water types in the meta right now, and Torkoal is able to weaken water moves with its drought ability. The sun would boost Stakataka's heat crash/max flare to essentially give it a stab multiplier, giving me a good answer to Venusaur in mirrors, and any Amoonguss trying to click spore. Instead of the usual charcoal or sitrus berry, I gave my Torkoal an iron ball to halve its speed. This would allow it to underspeed Stakataka and activate its weakness policy with bulldoze, or click its monstrous fire stabs and chip things for Stakataka to get the KO and a beast boost. The Venusaur set is standard for the most part, the spread outspeeds base 100s at +1 in the sun. One thing that sticks out however, is the awful item choice i'm known for. Room service allowed Venusaur to operate both in and out of TR, letting it put things to sleep that would otherwise be threatening or just thrash things with its stabs. Still debating on whether it should have weather ball or earth power, but that decision is yours to make.

A couple replays (most of these will just be the TR mode bc its broken)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329917794
Stak sweeps through most of the team, Room service lets Venu underspeeds a Heatran that could've KO'd stak because of room service
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329920180
Another Stak sweep where Venukoal cleans up
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329915290
Landorus shows its worth and blows through an entire team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329774542-0ovf19axzeul5oc2k8sqrgaaflns3r0pw
t h e r e a r e n o r e s i s t s
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329771602-5efodgt6jy01s72acfz78ajj5zml3nopw
its getting old but here's another Stak sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329896472-mx0v34fse7vqb393udn0gq5u0xqw612pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series9-1329893540-v5h5h8i7v0y4x7u157oh38rnhl3wpqwpw
while i'm here i might as well just group these two together

Anyways hope you enjoy seeing the mess that is my thought process while teambuilding. Sorry I couldn't get any good replays showing off the Spec Lando lead, I played a game where Lando baited an Incineroar on lead and proceeded to sweep the whole team but forgot to save the replay ;-; Also the TR mode is just cracked lol
Team M by pLOpy13
https://pokepast.es/803310b3cc6043c6 SpecLax Simple. U can either lead snorlax plus clef or spec + clef and its amazing. then with grimmsnarl in back it gives so much viablitity as u can be super tanky then u have incin to deal with sun and other threats. very epik team in my opinion loving snorlax

:ss/snorlax: :ss/spectrier: :ss/clefairy: :ss/grimmsnarl: :ss/incineroar: :ss/kartana:

Last edited:
Team N by Walrain
Week two submission:
https://pokepast.es/6f9d72d067641838
:spectrier: :metagross: :torkoal: :politoed: :venusaur: :porygon2:

After playing around with some ideas that I stole from Gfazzos week one submission, and regretting I didn't submit a team for week one, I decided to create a dual weather team with things that enjoy Spectriers great support presence.

Spectrier:
Spectrier's role here is pretty simple, which is enabling other mons on the team as a support option. It activates Metagross's Weakness Policy via Bulldoze, while also providing much needed damage reduction for my team. Porygon2 appreciates Spectriers Snarl and Will-o-Wisp, which give it a better chance to set up Trick Room, which can be a good win condition for this team in endgames.

Metagross:
Metagross is the main abuser of Trick Room on this team. It's bulkiness is greatly valued for the mode, as well as its ability to attack without being hindered by intimidate, thanks to Clear Body. Spectrier is its other main partner, as it can not only activate its Weakness Policy via Bulldoze, it can also improve its already great defensive ability when Dynamaxed. The moveset is very standard, with Ice Punch to take out flying types that give my team trouble.

Venusaur/Torkoal:
These two have been the face of Gen8 VGC for a long time. They are up to their usual shenanigans on this team, such as abusing Vine Lash's 1/6 chip and a fast Sleep Powder. Torkoal also gives Venusaur access to Max Flare via Weather Ball. Torkoal also has weather ball, which hits fire types much harder than Earth Power does, and also gives it a 100% accurate STAB move that doesn't require it to be healthy. Expert Belt allows me to pick up KO's on fire types that I couldn't with something like Charcoal.

Politoed:
Politoed may seem like a strange pick, but it gives the team a ton of pressure on a turn to turn basis. It is ironically the scariest when it is off the field, as you constantly pressure a surprise water move from Venusaur or Torkoal, or making the fire type damage you plan to do to Metagross or Venusaur much less threatening. Its a standard set that appreciates Spectrier's damage reduction as a way to win endgames via Perish Song.

Porygon2
Porygon2 is probably the bulkiest Trick Room setter in the format, and as such appreciates when its teammates can do big damage, and on this team, they certainly can. It also can set up Trick Room Easier because of Spectrier.

-1 252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres-Galar Max Darkness vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dynamax Metagross: 195-229 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Metagross Max Hailstorm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Moltres-Galar: 364-430 (110.3 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb burned Landorus-Therian Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Metagross: 138-164 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

164+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat in Rain: 234-276 (149 - 175.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

164+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 108+ SpD Incineroar in Rain: 221-260 (109.4 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Torkoal Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat in Rain: 161-190 (102.5 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed in Grassy Terrain: 144-170 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Team O by DomarpVGC
https://pokepast.es/f98729f57561dc05
I love Spectrier. It has so much offensive pressure and has the potential to just steamroll the opponent. I wanted to make Spectrier's job as easy as possible so I decided the next member of the team should be a redirector. Both Clefairy and Togekiss have their pros and cons, but I chose to use Clefairy to give the team some general bulk and because Clefairy is not weak to Electric and Rock-type moves. Incineroar joins the team next to create a defensive backbone with Clefairy to allow my team to slow down the game and reposition easily. At this point the team lacks an answer to bulkier pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Celesteela. Rillaboom gives the team a ground resist while Regieleki is a good cleanup mon and provides speed control. Finally, I wanted a secondary dynamax candidate and a water type to complete the FWG core. Blastoise fulfills these roles and works well with Clefairy.

Individual members:
I chose a relatively standard moveset and item for spectrier. Max phantasm makes it easy for rillaboom to clean up. Max Strike cancels out airstream boosts and Max Quake is good coverage for fire types. The SPDEF boost is always nice too. Nasty Plot can win me the game turn 1 sometimes. It really punishes passive play. The EV spread lets Spectrier outspeed Thundurus by 2 points with a little bulk and the rest dumped into Special Attack. I chose a modest nature because the damage output is insane and a timid nature will just let you outspeed some garbage pokemon. Speed tying other spectrier isn't a concern because I have clefairy's help and if I ever have to risk the tie, I probably deserve to lose.

Spectrier's partner in crime. Helping Hand, Follow Me, and Protect are Clefairy's bread and butter. Sing is here because I hate myself, and it punishes passive play. The spread is just really physically defensive to withstand hits from threats like Glastrier.

:Blastoise-Gmax:
Blastoise plays pretty similar to Spectrier. It wants to get a boost from shell smash and then sweep. Clefairy does a great job of enabling it. Water Spout provides a 150 BP Gmax Cannonade, which when paired with the residual damage, can be devastating. Water Spout is also a perfectly ok move to click as well. Blizzard is nice coverage to deal with pesky grass types. Once Max Hailstorm sets the hail, I can spam Blizzard and be able to hax my opponents with freeze. Shell Smash makes Blastoise a much more potent threat. I felt that Protect was not needed since I will max Blastoise often and I can just click Max Guard. So I chose Dark Pulse so that Spectrier and Regieleki can finish off the endgame. Flinches are pretty funny too
Expert Belt because life orb is taken and this is probably the next best item.

Rillaboom is exclusively here to deal with bulky waters. Grassy Glide is an incredible endgame tool. The set is pretty standard.
:Incineroar:
Incineroar is also pretty standard. Helps to give me a good defensive core and makes the positioning game easier. Flare Blitz has respectable damage, while Fake Out enables my other mons. Parting Shot is a great disruptive move and can shut down opposing Dynamax. Taunt is here to help my otherwise tricky Amoonguss and hard trick room matchup. I used Wolfe's spread and I honestly don't know what it does but it's been working.
:Regieleki:
The final member of the team is here to just provide some fast immediate damage. It checks Thundurus decently well and electroweb spam can be really useful when paired with Blastoise.

This team isn't incredibly innovative but I think it does a good job highlight Spectrier. Its goal is to make Spectrier's life as easy as possible in order to bulldoze through my opponent.
Team P by ttr
So, I was not feeling real inspired to make a "good" team or a "smart" team or a "well-balanced" team, so I made a "barley usable" team (misspelling intentional). I wanted to use the two new horses on a team, but I realized why stop at only two, why not use all the horses I can? (Additionally, the Kentucky Derby is this Saturday, so why not make it horse themed).

:spectrier: :glastrier: :Mudsdale: :Rapidash-Galar: :tapu fini: :Incineroar:
https://pokepast.es/a3bcde9d064b950c

For an brief overview, the team utilizes Spectrier as it's special breaker, Glastrier and Mudsdale as it's physical breaker, Rapidash-G as an Trick Room and support, Tapu Fini to prevent status, and Incineroar as an pivot. Unfourtunatley, I could not fit more horses on this team, since the other two in the game are unusable on this team (Rapidash-K because it has the same National Dex Number as Rapidash-G, and Keldeo because it is a mythical and unusable). Without further ado, lets dive into the sets:

Spectrier @ Life Orb
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam
- Protect
- Double Kick
A very spooky set, intended to do damage. As the only special attacker here, it has a lot of weight to pull for the team, but it's Spectrier, the thing it does best is damage. Shadow Ball serves as the move to click 80% of the time. Hyper Beam gives Spectrier some speed control while maxed and does insane damage. Protect is to protect this horse when not Dynamaxed, and Double Kick is there to trigger a Weakness Policy on the next horse. Life Orb lets Spectrier stomp on it's opponents through sheer damage. EV's are the finest 252/252/4 available, maximizing Spectrier's Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature to outspeed most threats. Overall, the intention is to do damage first and foremost with this Spectirer, utilizing it's base 145 Special Attack to the fullest extent. The rest of the team is structured to take advantage of Spectrier breaking through what the physical horses can not. Like I mentioned before, Double Kick is there to pop the next pokemon's weakness policy, giving it a small supporting role. However, Spectrier is the star of this show, a Thoroughbred angling to take the Triple Crown in its own hooves.

Glastrier @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Chilling Neigh
Brave Nature
IVs: 14 Spe
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
The next horse on the field, Glastrier provides the part of the physical muscle behind this team. This icy horse is bred to take hits and deal out massive damage in return. Again, only the best 252/252/4 Ev spread was allowed, maximizing HP and attack with a Brave nature because unlike its brethren Spectrier, it's not out to win any speed races like the Kentucky Derby. The IV's are important however, 14 leaves Spectrier at a nice 37 speed stat with its Brave nature. This underspeeds Mudsdale in Trick Room by 1, allowing Mudsdale to activate Glastrier's Weakness Policy. There are not many speed targets that Glastrier is missing that I think is too important by not going 0 speed IV's especially when it wants to take a hit to activate it's Weakness policy anyways. The most relevant target is a minus Speed Torkoal with 31 speed IV's in Trick Room (minus Speed 31 IV Torkoal hits 36 speed), but that's pretty minor all things considered. Most of the other Pokemon in the 30 Base speed tier are not really threats to Glastrier, and I prefer opposing Glastrier to go first in Trick Room for the opportunity to activate the Weakness Policy. Moveset is standard, Ice move for STAB, Fighting move to boost Attack when Maxed, Steel move for Defense boosts, and Protect move to protect. When it comes, it usually would prefer to Dynamax, but is fine not doing so.

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Smack Down
Now is where this team of horses gets interesting. This Clydesdale horse, while slow, can pull it's own weight. High Horsepower because it is a horse (and because single target ground STAB not weakened by Grassy Terrain). Iron Head gives it Max Steelspike when Dynamaxed, and a Steel move when not dynamaxed to hit dynamaxed targets. Since Heavy Slam can not damage Dynamaxed opponents, this gives a way for the team to have a option to hit those few Steel weak Dynamax pokemon without resorting to your own Dynamax from Glastrier. Close Combat gives this horse a fighting chance. Smack Down fills the last slot here, and I selected it for three reasons. 1. When Dynamaxed, there is only a 30 base power difference versus Rock Slide. 2. Smack Down activates Glastrier's Weakness Policy without potentially causing any side effects (Rock Smash has a 50 percent chance to lower the Defense of Glastrier. 3. Smack Down grounds Flying-types and Levitate Pokemon, something pretty unexpected for those pokemon to face. sure, Zapdos and Celesteela may be feeling safe, but after a Smack Down their tune will change pretty quickly. Assault Vest gives Mudsdale more special bulk, and Stamina gives it more physical bulk when it is hit. Own Tempo was a consideration to be immune to intimidate, but I preferred the bulk overall. EV's are again a 252/252/4 with a Brave nature, maximizing Attack and HP, with the remainder thrown into Special Defense to make the Assault Vest put in a little more work. This set outspeeds Glastrier by 1, so it can support the team in other ways, but Mudsdale does not always need to be brought to battle.

Rapidash-Galar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Trick Room
I'll be honest, I wanted to use Rapidash-K instead. I could have done so much fun stuff with Fire / Flying / Electric moves, but I actually wanted the team to work so I needed a horse to support the rest. Rapidash-G galloped in, giving the team an much needed Trick Room user. Once again, I was not that creative I selected only the finest 252/252/4 EV's on the market to outfit this fine horse. Maximized HP and Speed with a Jolly Nature, with the 4 extra dumped into Attack. Play Rough lets Rapidash-G not completely get shut down by Taunt. Swords Dance lets that Play Rough deal more damage if need be, or lets it pass it to another user. Trick Room sets the Trick Room for the slow horses. Baton Pass lets Rapidash-G pass a SD boost to Glastrier or Mudsdale, or after Trick Room is set lets it more safely get those two onto the field due to it's relatively quick speed. Focus Sash lets it take a hit which it will be doing a lot. Anticipation was selected because it is the only ability worth using. Run Away is literally useless here, and Poison is not a concern. At the very least, when you are facing a Dragapult and Rapidash-G shudders, you gain valuable information that it has a Ghost move. Overall, it sets up Trick Room and pivots to the others to deal damage, if it goes down then that's fine as well, means the slow horses get in safely.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 180 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect
So, I ran out of horses. At this point though, the team looked surprisingly.... ok? I recognized that Will-O-Wisp would decimate my poor, slow horses so Misty Terrain was a must. I took this Tapu Fini set from way back on my PC3 qualifier team, it was solid there and should be solid here. I don't remember the Calc's exactly, but it lived some hits from Zapdos that I wanted it to take. The only change I made was substituting Calm Mind over Icy Wind, this team does not need the speed support and CM Fini can clean up a surprising amount of 2v1's. Misty Terrain is the main reason I selected it, and Tapu Fini is a pretty solid pokemon in it's own right so it fit nicely on this team.
Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 124 Def / 52 SpD / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
Think of this like the cat that hangs around the race track. The team needed an Intimidate user, so and Incineroar fit the bill. Ev's are weird, I liked the rolls versus Urshifu's Close Combat but it is not optimized well. EV'ing Incineroar well is an art that I do not have, but this does the job that I want it to do enough. Fake Out lets this cat protect Rapidash for it to set up Trick Room, with an arbitrary amount of speed to outspeed some Incineroar. Flare Blitz is here to hit Grass types, Parting Shot is used to pivot, and Snarl is there to make Special Attackers useless. I originally had Taunt, but Snarl fit better and I felt like I would be clicking it more, especially since I was fine with things like Trick Room going up.

Closing Thoughts:

Genuinely, I like this team more than I should. Focusing on Spectrier, the rest of the team handles physical side of the spectrum, leaving Spectrier to take the spotlight on the special side. With Incineroar and Mudsdale, almost all special threats can be dealt with, either KO'ed or effectively neutralized. I wish Rapidash-G got better moves, but I'll go with the slow Baton Pass user to get the rest of the horses in safely. The potential Swords Dance passing is insanely funny of an idea and I could not pass it up, even for the more useful Ally Switch. Physically, I like the synergy between Glastrier and Mudsdale, overwhelming with slow but powerful offensive pressure. While I literally could not put more than four horses on this team, I think the two non-horses make the team far better than if I could include something like Zebstrika. Tapu Fini and Incineroar protects the horses, letting them put in the work.

In the end, Spectrier is the star of this team, gunning to outpace all other opponents. It's not completely above supporting the team, but when the race begins Spectrier is in it to win it all.
Team Q by Yourwelcomthank
:Terrakion: :Spectrier: :Whimsicott: :Rotom-heat: :Kartana: :Mamoswine: Terrakion + Spectrier. This team was made with Gfazzo
https://pokepast.es/f6eee7acdcfd1ff2

:Terrakion: :Lum berry: :Spectrier: :Weakness Policy:
Terrakion and Spectrier have strong offensive synergy. Terrakion is able to deal with Moltres-galar, Urshifu, Incineroar, and other dark types for Spectrier. Spectrier in return is able to threaten Metagross, Kartana, and Cresselia. Its more so what Terrakion does for Spectrier but Spectrier helps Terrakion out a bit too. Spectrier also has a Weakness Policy which can be activated from Whimsicott Beat up.

:Whimsicott: :Coba berry:
Whimsicott has Beat up to enable Terrakion and Tailwind which alot of the pokemon on the team appreciate especailly Mamoswine, Terrakion, and Spectrier, Protect is very needed on Beat up teams. Whimsicott itself is very useful offensively being able to check Urshifu who slams the rest of the team very hard so this is very important.

:Rotom-Heat: :Safety Goggles:
This is our check to Glastrier, Sun, and Kartana. Terrakion and Mamoswine Threataning Rock-types is helpful for Rotom-heat. Rotom-Heat being able to threaten Water-types is useful for Mamoswine, and Terrakion

:Kartana: :Focus sash:
Checks Tapu Fini and other Water-types. Kartana is also a Steel Type with a good Garchomp Matchup which is valuble for this team. Katana appreciates Terrakion checking Urshifu and fire types for Kartana. Kartana is able to threaten pokemon like Grimmsnarl and Clefairy who are annoying for this team.

:Mamoswine: :Assault Vest:
With Assault Vest and Max Quake Specail defense boosts Mamswine is capable of checking Spectrier along with many other Special Attackers. Mamoswine's primary role is to check Landorus-T and Garchomp who are otherwise problematic for Terrakion and Spectrier.

EDIT: Thank you for changing them :)
Team R by I'mKindaTrashTho
Budget Coalossal team!
https://pokepast.es/0df66fd9a2a1868f
I used Coalossal in Series 6 and 7 quite a lot, as it had an easy playstyle that (at the time) new-to-VGC me was able to pick up. With Series 9, I wanted to try something similar, but also different. The teambuilding competition gave me just the inspiration I needed. I originally wanted to proc a WP with Bulldoze, but that has been done before, so I turned to its other low-damage physical move, Double Kick. Double Kick can be used to both proc the WP on Omastar and give it a Coalossal-esque speed boost by activating Weak Armor twice. I used the Rillaboom and Incineroar spreads from my previous team (4 speed is to outspeed other min speed Rillabooms/Incins for a faster Fake Out.) Urshifu-R was originally a pick to help check Urshifu-S with its Close Combat, but I decided to go with Sirfetch'd instead, because of its ability, Scrappy, which makes it immune to Intimidate and gives it a chance to hit Ghost types like Dragapault and Spectrier with its STAB CC. It also has a neat synergy with Rillaboom, because with the pivoting ability of both Rilla and Incin, it can allow Sirfetch'd to get on the field and take advantage of Grassy Terrain. Finally, I added Clefairy because most Spectrier teams use Clefairy, but also because its Follow Me allowed me to run Swords Dance Incin (a favorite of mine) and Shell Smash Omastar with more ease. Overall, this team is amazingly fun, and a great counter to both Coal teams and Sun teams, which are very common.
Some Calcs: +2 252+ SpA Omastar Max Hailstorm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Venusaur: 296-350 (190.9 - 225.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Omastar Max Geyser vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Coalossal: 1048-1236 (566.4 - 668.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO. I thought I broke the Showdown damage calculator, but nope! Omastar is just that good.
Team S by Grandmas Cookin
Week 2 Submission:
https://pokepast.es/181ead8fb4b4167c
:Spectrier: :Regirock: :Grimmsnarl: :Torkoal: :Venusaur: :Porygon2:
The idea for this team was to use offensive support Spectrier to enable Weakness Policy Regirock. I added screens support Grimmsnarl and put Taunt to try and block any opposing Will-o-wisp’s coming my way. After that I figured I needed a backup mode if Regirock would have to facedown any of its counters like Metagross or Lapras, so I added NailsOU’s sun mode from his Players Cup 2 team. Lastly I added Porygon2 to work as a Trick Room mode should the team require it.
Overall this team looks pretty good, potentially weak to Urshifu as its only real check is Grimmsnarl, however it can definitely be played around using the tools available.

Not much more to say about this team, as I haven’t tested it due to this being a teambuilding competition and it was built at work so I don’t exactly have the time to test it anyways lol, but feel free to use it or edit to your liking!
Team T by CrystalNinetales
:rillaboom: :naganadel: :spectrier: :regirock: :grimmsnarl: :gyarados:

Lots of offensive and supportive spectrier sets so far, but unless I missed one, I don't think i've seen any obnoxious sets yet.

Spectrier, like good ol gen 5 gengar, has an incredibly obnoxious sub disable set it can utilize, even in a format with dynamax removing disable upon their max. Having an urshifu suddenly be unable to wicked blow, a torkoal unable to eruption, or a porygon2 unable to recover or attack is hilariously effective. Knowing that I wanted to build around that, I needed both interruption, and buckets of upfront damage presence. The final result is a team that plays off each individual member incredibly well, with multiple game strategies available. Most importantly: Its also really fun.

:rillaboom: :naganadel:
Rillaboom Naganadel pairing is one of my favorite pairings of the year so far. The two work off each other remarkably well, and rilla helps to push damage to get naganadel special attack boosts thanks to its ev spread, as well as providing Fake Out utility. Its grassy terrain helps to sustain naganadel and spectrier, and the three Pokemon provide a good offensive and obnoxious lead regardless of which i send out.
A basically standard ev spread, with the classic obnoxious subdisable moveset. This set is able to function both as a non-max sweeper, and a hair-tearing utility belt all in one. Subsititute is able to dumpster things that Protect simply cant: Urshifu of immediate note. This set is so much fun, and you'll enjoy it too. It is important, however, to play with the fact in mind that you can't touch porygon2 offensively: just neuter some manner of its functionality.
:regirock:
Regirock is a goated mon: this thing is actually insane. Its mere existence deals with dragapult, glastrier and thundurus, and it provides both a fantastic max and endgame option. While I don't particularly mind Landorus-T, Ice Punch is an option if you find yourself struggling with the matchup.
:grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl provides a good pult switch in, as well as a means of hitting dark types like urshifu and moltres hard. Basic Spirit Break + Screens set, with Fake Tears to further enable the two big special hitters on this team.
:gyarados:
Gyarados provides a decent sun check, with intimidate for utility and good water / fly stab. The rest of the team has options to deal with eleki and thundurus, as well as helping out the glastrier matchup. so as long as you can position the board well, those pesky electric types aren't usually an issue.

Of note: This particular version of the team doesn't have a great deal of speed control, mostly relying on base speeds and priority. If consistent speed control is wanted, Scary Face on Grimm or Twave is an acceptable replacement: I just don't prefer it.
Team U by PinkiePat
Well my good Spec team is bad with Spec so instead I'm bringing trash
Spectrier
Spectrier has basically 2 jobs. It uses Bulldoze, it debuffs enemies, then it dies. *hit send*

G-Max Garbodor
Okay I said I was bringing and I meant it literally. Moves are Gunk Shot (Main STAB), Rock Blast (for smacking things like Charizard), and Explosion because it's funny to go boom. Weakness Policy means after Bulldoze you have +2 attack and +1 speed. The speed investment means you hit 180 after Bulldoze to outspeed Thundurus-I by 1 point. The bulk was basically just to be a little more tanky. No real reason to invest in defense since you drop after Bulldoze.

Thundurus-I
Well here we go. Nothing too special about this. The main part about this set is that it has Foul Play to hit Metagross. Other than that it's just basical dual STAB + Protect with Life Orb for maximum damage

G-Max Urshifu-S
I decided to give Urshifu a choice band. With Thundurus able to buff speed I slapped a band on it and just go unga-bunga. Choice Band really helps pick up kills that you would miss otherwise.

Kartana
Next we come to Kartana. Not a lot to say here either. Just a normal AV set. 244 in special defense gives you an even spread. Max speed. The remaining 12 were spread across HP, Attack, and Defense to balance it out.

Rotom-H
Because sun is annoying and makes me want to scream sometimes, I added Rotom-H. It outspeeds Adamant 252 Metagross, maximum special attack for damage. Invested into HP then 4 and 4 in the defense for tiny bit of bulk stuff. Goggles means Venusaur can't sleep me so HA
Team V by Bananers7
Hello all! I have finally gotten my team prepared for this week, and I really like it. I decided to make a google doc with my building process, EV explanation, and other things. If you do not wish to read it, which I understand, there is a quick overview if you scroll to the bottom of it. I had a lot of fun building this team and it is definitely the most effort I have put into a team.

GUWS
(G(lastrier), U(rshifu) W(ater), S(pectrier))

:spectrier: :glastrier: :urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax::togekiss: :talonflame: :garchomp:

https://pokepast.es/fc803dc7d7fe4eff
Team W by He-who-is-not-to-be-named
Welcome again to the not very good VGC series Voldy Builds Teams! This week, we were all tasked with building a Spectrier team, and upon looking at its moveset, I noticed a move that had a lot of potential: Hex. I liked it because Spectrier by itself can be taken out quite easily, but when its opponents have a lot of nasty status effects that either drop their speed, lower their attack or render them useless, it can really shine and sweep quickly. And as they say, the rest is history.

The team: https://pokepast.es/94e244267b1d829b

:ss/spectrier: :ss/grimmsnarl: :ss/torkoal: :ss/venusaur: :ss/garchomp: :ss/regieleki:

Spectrier really hates Pokemon like Urshifu-S and Moltres-G, and my team has a variety of ways to deal with them. For Urshifu-S, Spectrier can Burn Urshifu(and even if it can't, it's EV'd to just barely live Urshifu), and even 0 Atk Grimmsnarl can kill it with Spirit Break, assuming no sash. Grimmsnarl is also EV'd to outspeed Urshifu at +1 after a Max Airstream from Regieleki. The Sun portion of my team also matches up nicely into Urshifu, even with maxed Thundurus support, because Venusaur can set up Vine Lash, and if Thundurus goes for either Airstream or Knuckle, Torkoal is guaranteed a burn on Thundy and a kill on Urshifu because of Burning Jealousy, reducing Thundurus' damage output for the rest of the game and making it even easier for pokemon like Garchomp or Spectrier to kill it. Moltres-G isn't a problem either - even if they run Raichu Lightning Rod to try and prevent Regieleki from damaging Moltres-G with super-effective Electric-type attacks, Regieleki has a move called Screech, and Garchomp really, really, really likes the Screech drop. Against things like WP Dragapult and Follow Me redirection, I can lead Torkoal + Venu -> I can put Clefairy to sleep and burn Dragapult, because if Dragapult goes for Dragon Dance, it's burned, and if it goes for Airstream, it's burned, greatly reducing its damage output. Then, I can either Hex with Spectrier or Max Wyrmwind with Garchomp, with either Grimmsnarl or Regieleki as support options. Also, I have Taunt Spectrier, which shuts down Clef Follow Me on turn one, and of course the aforementioned Burning Jealousy not only disrupts the enemy team but gives Spectrier free ammunition for a superpowered Hex.

For most other teams, it will most likely look like a combo of Sun/Garchomp + Eleki for the lead, and the Horse in the Back to capitalise on the multitudes of statuses plaguing the opposing team, or if it's follow me + set up, I can run Spectrier + Torkoal, with Grimmsnarl in the back to seal the fates of anyone who decides to keep their statused pokemon in the field, thus giving Spectrier the opportunity to snowball.

This team also packs a few somewhat underused sets for pokemon, like WP Venusaur(to punish opponents that simply just want to Max Airstream into it, while also turning Venusaur into a possible serious offensive threat), and Physical Regieleki(to give it an option of boosting its own speed in max, while also being able to capitalize on its Screech drops).

Team EVs:
  • Spectrier's EVs allow it to outspeed opposing Spectrier that are EV'd to outspeed the Genies, ensuring that either my Spectrier will move last(agianst a 252/252 spread) or move first(against a Spectrier that is EV'd to outspeed Genies or Garchomp or Zard or Entei or Urshifu-S) consistently. It also allows Spectrier to live a non-banded Urshifu Wicked Blow.
  • Venusaur is EV'd to, again, outspeed opposing Venusaur that are EV'd to outspeed Regieleki in Sun, again guaranteeing that either Venusaur will move last, or it will move first, and not rely on a speed tie, which is fickle, random, and could end up screwing up entire games.
  • Grimmsnarl is EV'd to outspeed Urshifu-S at +1, in endgames where I'm facing Urshifu-S with maxed Regieleki and Grimmsnarl, ensuring that I can pick up the KO.
  • Regieleki's EVs serve its purpose: go as fast as possible, spread as much paralysis as possible/max and deal the most damage possible/lower as much defense as possible for the rest of my team.
  • Torkoal and Garchomp were the two main pokemon I was really worried about in terms of EVs, because there were a lot of strategies that I had in mind that involved one or the other with the other pokemon on my team, and they usually needed to be kept alive for more than one turn, while still dealing ample amounts of damage. So I did a lot of calcs to ensure that they covered all of the bases I needed them to cover.
4+ SpA Charcoal Torkoal Burning Jealousy vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Kartana in Sun: 268-324 (80.7 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torkoal: 61-72 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Torkoal on a critical hit: 79-94 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 27.7% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Torkoal on a critical hit: 76-91 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO(same EV amount as 252 HP / 0 Def but the chance of being 2HKOed is much smaller)
252 Atk Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 240 HP / 12 Def Torkoal on a critical hit: 76-91 (43.4 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO(same EV amount as 248 HP / 4 Def, but the chance of being 2HKOed is essentially the same)
196+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 12 Def Torkoal: 146-174 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Torkoal: 150-176 (85.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO(As you can see however, Tork has a chance of being OHKOed by Lando-T with 248 HP / 4 Def, whereas that possibility is null with 240 HP / 12 Def)
252+ SpA Coalossal-Gmax Max Overgrowth vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Garchomp: 73-87 (19.9 - 23.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ SpA Coalossal-Gmax G-Max Volcalith vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Garchomp: 54-65 (14.7 - 17.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Volcalith damage
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Max Quake vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Dynamax Coalossal-Gmax: 208-252 (48.1 - 58.3%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO(-1 After Dragapult or Intim drops)
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Max Wyrmwind vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 88-105 (47.5 - 56.7%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO(similar thing as the calc above)
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Garchomp: 286-343 (78.1 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(After Wyrmwind, Mamo's attack is at -1)
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Max Wyrmwind vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Landorus-Therian: 81-96 (24.6 - 29.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO(after Intimidate, and with the Screech drops this turns into an almost-guaranteed 2HKO)
-1 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Max Airstream vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Garchomp: 84-99 (22.9 - 27%) -- 41.7% chance to 4HKO(After Wyrmwind)
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Landorus-Therian Max Airstream vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Garchomp: 109-129 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 14.6% chance to 3HKO(Also after Wyrmwind)

In hindsight, I may have wrote too much, but I genuinely hope you guys find this team interesting and fun to play!
Team X by KachiVGC
:ss/spectrier: :ss/incineroar: :ss/clefairy: :ss/glastrier: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/gastrodon:

Welcome again to my VGC team building competition team! I am here to showcase my new team of offensive AV Incineroar+, and I hope you enjoy using team!

Team:Double Horse+ Offensive AV Incineroar

Spectrier, the main star of the team really just gets a boost up or immediately just try's to get a koes. This spread is an adaptation of Jean Paul's Spectrier set. Spectrier really abuses the support from Spectrier or Incineroar.

Spectrier and Clefairy is an amazing duo which just allows Spectrier to abuse Friend Guard, Follow Me, and Helping Hand. Clefairy does really deal with Urshifu too with Moonblast. The support coming out of Clefairy is very valuable.

This is the Incineroar spread I am very proud of this spread because it really does interesting things. Not only that it hits for great damage, it tricks players into thinking the set is standard defensive Incineroar. This also allows my set to beat opposing Incineroars in a 1v1 situation. That's really all the set does.

The Rilaboom is made to deal with most of Incineroar's weaknesses which make them synergize very nicely. It also puts a lot of more pressure to an opponent's team. Rillaboom is also a very strong offensive lead for my team to abuse a possible end-game Glastrier/Spectrier.

Glastrier gives me a much better matchup against Venusaur which we want as well as resisting Ice and, beating Flying types. Double horse in series 7/9 is pretty good so, making this team is fun. At least when not from my opponents side.

Gastrodon was on the team to cover our weaknesses and, I was kind of desperate for a last Pokemon slot while this fits perfectly. I have a much better Incineroar matchup and, get to beat Politoed Kingdra leads while still destroying Regieleki and a proper Incineroar check. Gastrodon is honestly very under looked right now because of Rillaboom, but with the right team support you could make it work especially with it's ability Storm Drain.

Calculations/Notes: Spectrier's HP investment is for optimizing for Vinelash / Wildfire/ cannonade damage.

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Single Strike Wicked Blow vs. 60 HP / 156 Def Dynamax Spectrier on a critical hit with Friend Guard: 279-330 (76.2 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm (130 BP) vs. 60 HP / 44 SpD Dynamax Spectrier with Friend Guard: 292-345 (79.7 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Glastrier Max Hailstorm (130 BP) vs. 60 HP / 156 Def Dynamax Spectrier with Friend Guard: 308-364 (84.1 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Zapdos Max Airstream (140 BP) vs. -2 60 HP / 44 SpD Dynamax Spectrier with Friend Guard: 281-331 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Regigigas Max Darkness (130 BP) vs. 60 HP / 156 Def Dynamax Spectrier: 270-320 (73.7 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Clefairy: 252+ Atk Life Orb Glastrier Max Hailstorm (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 140-165 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Made to survive at full HP with the addition of hail chip)

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 126-150 (71.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Dragapult Max Phantasm (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 110-133 (62.1 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Incineroar: Optimized hp for sand/hail chip 252 SpA Life Orb Kingdra Muddy Water vs. 244 HP / 92+ SpD Assault Vest Incineroar in Rain: 109-127 (54.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+3 252 SpA Moltres-Galar Max Airstream (130 BP) vs. 244 HP / 92+ SpD Assault Vest Incineroar: 139-165 (69.1 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Urshifu-Single Strike Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Incineroar: 146-174 (72.6 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

148+ Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. -1 252 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Glastrier: 230-272 (55.5 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rillaboom: Optimized for hail/sand chip
Made to outpower jolly rillabooms by 1 point

Gastrodon: Also optimized for chip damage
252 Atk Life Orb Glastrier Max Hailstorm (130 BP) vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Gastrodon: 165-196 (76 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Gastrodon: 165-196 (76 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Single Strike Wicked Blow vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Gastrodon on a critical hit: 165-195 (76 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 244 HP / 196 Def Dynamax Gastrodon with Friend Guard: 315-372 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is all, I hope you enjoy using this team!
Team Y by Jomatoes
Team hours before sub deadline
https://pokepast.es/162930f852aa90f1
A team I built based on one made by my friend baars which he used to win the Hexa Cup
AV Thundurus is very strong against sun, but ally switch is very hard to beat
Clef Spec Dominates every neutral matchup and even beats a lot of glastrier tr
urshifu and band rillaboom Are very good for cleanup
Incineroar helps beat amoongus and is a very solid lead against grimm p2

I used this team to topcut the zelda tour, and get more topcuts at some smaller tours, like mount silver

Sorry for this im really low energy haha
Team Z by zeefable
:ss/spectrier: CRACKED - AN UNSTOPPABLE OFFENSE :ss/spectrier:
:spectrier: :mienshao: :entei: :whimsicott: :regieleki: :urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax:

When building offense in VGC, my favorite kind is one that builds to cover all of the things typically considered roadblocks to offense. In this case, I wanted to build a team capable of disrupting all of Fake Out, Intimidate, Screens, Trick Room, Redirection, and Max Airstream; I genuinely believe this is something the team does quite well.

This team also brings me back to some of my ultra series days, and I really appreciate it for doing so.
View attachment 337175

As a shock to literally no one, I started at Spectrier. I actually built my NPA week 8 team around (but later dropped) Nasty Plot Spectrier with Clefairy support, but I figured there would be multiple versions of this so I decided to brainstorm for something different. I settled on a 3 Attacks + Protect set because I feel like that's the one that will allow Spectrier to find effective Dynamaxes on a team without redirection. I think having Protect is super important because there are definitely times where it can get pinned by speed control and a max move and you really just need to get a partner in to nab a fake out or answer back with some speed control of your own.

:mienshao:
Mienshao has excellent synergy with Spectrier. Fighting and Ghost is unresisted coverage, neither one of the two can be affected by Fake Out, and Mienshao can capitalize off of the Defense drops from Max Phantasm. Taunt and Helping Hand ensure it has adequate utility for slowing down the likes of Porygon2 and Helping Hand for securing KOs that Spectrier would otherwise fall just short of. Not being afflicted by Intimidate is excellent for bopping Incineroar

:entei:
Entei rounds out my core of Pokemon that really get the offense train going. I liked the idea of having a WP abuser on offense and it's also a great alternative Dynamax option, really my best when it comes to physical attackers. Fire coverage is useful for stuff like Amoonguss and Glastrier that threaten HO a bit. The other moves are really nice with the EdgeQuake + speed control option, never felt like I needed Protect when I'm not disrupted by Fake Out anyway.

:whimsicott:
At this point I've set my mind on ridiculous HO and as such need to use the Pokemon that enables ridiculous HO. I elected for Coba Berry because I knew I'd need the sash for Urshifu. Helping Hand lets Whimsicott get some mileage before getting hit with Fake Out and supports my physical attackers which is groovy. Not really a ton else to say about it. This is offense and I have a Whimsicott, who saw that coming.

:regieleki:
I think every team needs an Electric these days or they'll just get ruined by Tapu Fini. I decided to go with Regieleki because it's a great balance of not too reliant on Dynamax and being quite aggressive still. Fast Electroweb is cool for shutting down things that are attempting to Max Airstream through you. 3 Electric moves just makes the most sense, don't really need Hyper Beam on something I'm not intending on maxing often and I think special sets are still the most bang for your buck currently.

:urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax:
Pretty much the glue mon on this team. Surging Strikes lets it warp through Reflect and chunk Incin/Heatran/Lando, Aqua Jet is good but also activates my Entei's Weakness Policy which is even more good. Two fighting types just seemed like an excellent idea for rounding out a team like this as well, I think it keeps the team really flexible and ultimately rounds out an already multi-layered offense.

If someone steals my thunder as the lastpost I will be upset.
And that's all folks, remember that you can vote for up to 10 teams and a minimum of 5. May the best team win, and let's get voting!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)