Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heracross is being talked about all wrong. Unlike normal Cross, whose main goal was to get in unscathed and hit hard (it wasn't sweeping with 85 speed), MegaCross actually seems like it'll be able to function as a decent tank.

I believe Arm Thrust was confirmed from move Relearner, which means Rock Blast / Pin Missile / Rock Blast / Filler can dish out decent hits. Heracross' typing gives it resistances to Bug, Ground, and Fighting, all common physical attacking types that can be difficult to cover at once otherwise.

If it does get Arm Thrust, that seals it. My only concern with Megacross was that it couldn't benefit from Close Combat anymore, but if what you say is true then he'll be excellent.

What about Mega Banette? Do we already know its stats? Because Prankster with all those tools sound really cool imo.
I can't find anything on him either. Everyone's obsessed with obviously good ones like Gengar that the others don't have any solid stats or any threads yet.

If it does get Arm Thrust, that seals it. My only concern with Megacross was that it couldn't benefit from Close Combat anymore, but if what you say is true then he'll be excellent.
Arm thrust get the same 25 attack boost that pin missle got?
If so, double 125 stab attacks!

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For those of you complaining about the lack of new spinners,I can see Mega Blastoise as a really viable tanky spinner. Especially if Hydro Pump gets the boost from Mega Launcher (honestly it would seem silly if it didnt). He keeps his pure Water typing, which remains quite solid, and gets boosts to already usable defenses.

With the buffs to his offense, he probably wont need any investment to blast spinblockers into oblivion with Dark Pulse and anything else with Water STAB.
Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse are just icing on the cake in terms of movepool.

The only negatives I see is that he will cost you your only Mega slot, which can limit further team building and he wont be able to use Leftovers. He also gets heavy competition from Starmie(much faster and gets Recover), Tentacruel(faster,better typing and better utility moves) and to a lesser extent, Forretress(far superior utility). None of which take a Mega slot.

Which brings up another point about Mega Blastoise that hasnt been covered and may differentiate it from existing spinners. Can he fill in the role of a wallbreaker as well as a spinner with his incredible offensive buffs? A rain-boosted Mega Launcher Water Stab coming off of a meaty 135(ish, not totally sure that's the right number) SAtk hurts a lot, plus he got great improvements to his offensive movepool for coverage that benefit from his ability. He even got a buff to his Attack stat, opening up the possibility of a mixed set.

One question before I close out this post, assuming Hydro Pump doesnt get a boost from Mega Launcher, does Water Pulse outdamage it with the boost?

Arm thrust get the same 25 attack boost that pin missle got?
If so, double 125 stab attacks!
And both that can break Subs. Yeah, if it gets dualSTAB that uses Skill link than it will be better, of course, no one's debating that, we were running off the theory that Fury Attack was its only Skill Link using move.

EDIT: In terms of a Wallbreaking Spinner, Excadrill is still probably better. Honestly, Mega Blastoise is probably one of those pokemon that will slip through the cracks - to good for UU but to... outclassed for OU.

Arm Thrust isn't a very good option on Heracross. 75 BP from 5 hits of Arm Thrust vs 120 BP from Close Combat... I'd definitely take Close Combat over that. The downsides of Close Combat are fairly negligible compared to the HUGE power drop you get from using Arm Thrust.

It's nice to know that Heracross actually gets moves to take advantage of Skill Link in Rock Blast and Pin Missile, though. Maybe Bullet Seed could be somewhat viable too, but I can't find any significant use for it off the top of my head.

edit: arm thrust is only 15 bp. i have a hariyama ingame and checked.

Heracross is being talked about all wrong. Unlike normal Cross, whose main goal was to get in unscathed and hit hard (it wasn't sweeping with 85 speed), MegaCross actually seems like it'll be able to function as a decent tank.

I believe Arm Thrust was confirmed from move Relearner, which means Rock Blast / Pin Missile / Rock Blast / Filler can dish out decent hits. Heracross' typing gives it resistances to Bug, Ground, and Fighting, all common physical attacking types that can be difficult to cover at once otherwise.
Agreed, with that ability and attack boost, 3 out his 4 moves are practically set in stone (Rock blast, arm thrust, and pin missle).

Arm Thrust isn't a very good option on Heracross. 75 BP from 5 hits of Arm Thrust vs 120 BP from Close Combat... I'd definitely take Close Combat over that. The downsides of Close Combat are fairly negligible compared to the HUGE power drop you get from using Arm Thrust.

It's nice to know that Heracross actually gets moves to take advantage of Skill Link in Rock Blast and Pin Missile, though. Maybe Bullet Seed could be somewhat viable too, but I can't find any significant use for it off the top of my head.

edit: arm thrust is only 15 bp. i have a hariyama ingame and checked.
Bullet Seed for... uh, Jellicent, and other Bulky waters. And Arm Thrust could be used on more defensive sets, which I'm sure will exist.

That's why I was so interested. No more relying on Stone Miss and Megamiss, which is definitely a plus. And the power drop from Guts isn't really that big.

Sure it's a horrible downside, but the drop in power (around 35%) is so huge that you kind of have to use Close Combat.

You can say Mega Heracross is "supposed" to be a tank, but I doubt its effectiveness as a tank. Its typing really isn't that great defensively; the only notable thing it does is do very well vs EdgeQuake. Other than that, it's not as impressive, and to make matters even worse, Heracross lacks Drain Punch (the low BP on this works because of the heal). "Tanky" Fighting-types work well because of how great Drain Punch is, but since Heracross lacks that, I really doubt Mega Heracross will be a particularly good tank.

It's not a typical tank, true. No, I didn't say defensive Mega Heracross would be SMART, I said people would run it.

Heracross in general needs Drain Punch, though. It would help it in far to many ways.

Mega Heracross could be a pretty good wallbreaker. Adamant +2 Close Combat/Pin Missile/Rock Blast 2HKOs literally everything but Aegislash and OHKOs most things. Too bad it's so slow.

Srn

The Monstrous Bird of New England
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
It would've been nice if arm thrust was increased to 25 bp, atleast pin missle got the boost. However, any flying STAB will dispatch our friendly bug in a heartbeat, and most users of flying STAB have way more speed than mega hera. It's also weak to fairy, which is another downside, and on top of lack of leftovers, I don't really think this thing will be worth investing bulk in.

EDIT: Also, according to serebii, pin missle is 95 accuracy, not 100. Close enough but meh.

Last edited:
No, Mega Alakazam gains a lot. You still aren't as vulnerable to entry hazards (the first switch in will have Magic Guard still, remember), you're now BLINDINGLY fast without being stuck on one move, and the power increase is comparable to a Life Orb Zam.
Scizor, and Aegislash w/ Shadow Sneak still wrecks it.

Not to mention the fact that Alakazam loses Focus Sash if it wants to Mega Evolve. Mega Alakazam is useless imo.

The fact that Arm Thrust didn't get boosted is just all-round tragic. Unless you're against a sub user its useless, even with skill link. Brick Break offers the same power while busting down pesky screens, and Close Combat is way, waaaay more powerful.
Even if it was buffed to 20 would make it worthwhile. 100bp vs 120 with defense lowering? Now the choice is a little tougher.

After thinking about it, I'm curious how viable Mega Houndoom could be. The loss in life is an awful side effect, but under the sun, it's gonna hit ridiculously hard with Fire Blast.

I'm thinking along the lines of:
Houndoom @ Houndoomite
4 Atk/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd
Nature: Timid/Modest
Fire Blast
SolarBeam
Dark Pulse
HP Fairy

Also sad to see Garchomp nerfed with his mega. A regular Garchomp with choice scarf/outrage seems much more viable for competitive play.
Correct me if wrong, but can't Mega-Garchomp like practically 2OHKO every Pokemon in the game? If by less viable you mean he's now probably the best wall-breaker in the entire game then...yeah I guess that's a way to view it.

Why are a lot of people saying Life orb is better than Mega-evo? Pokemon like Lucario and Mewtwo now have about the same power as life orb + better bulk + usually faster + no recoil? I see a Pokemon with a mega evo using a life orb being somewhat pointless unless you already have a mega. Lucario, Mewtwo, Blaziken, Garchomp, some Alakazam sets, some Abomasnow sets, houndoom, Manectric, etc all seem to be better using the mega over life orb. Am I missing something? The only issue I see is the speed tier not changing first turn, but that is what protect is for.

So am i delusional or is it just people not wanting to admit Life Orb is semi-pointless on some pokemon after seeing 2 gens worth of use on them.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why are a lot of people saying Life orb is better than Mega-evo? Pokemon like Lucario and Mewtwo now have about the same power as life orb + better bulk + usually faster + no recoil? I see a Pokemon with a mega evo using a life orb being somewhat pointless unless you already have a mega. Lucario, Mewtwo, Blaziken, Garchomp, some Alakazam sets, some Abomasnow sets, houndoom, Manectric, etc all seem to be better using the mega over life orb. Am I missing something? The only issue I see is the speed tier not changing first turn, but that is what protect is for.

So am i delusional or is it just people not wanting to admit Life Orb is semi-pointless on some pokemon after seeing 2 gens worth of use on them.
Mewtwo Y gains nothing important and it's literally just mewtwo without LO recoil. Not a big deal
Mewtwo X is amazing on paper and probably excellent in practice but too soon to tell.
Blaze is still fucked by gira (they'll probably see less usage but still)
Mega chomp is slow..... 92 speed is horrendous by ou standards
Mega Luca is scary
Kazam loses to priority of all kinds now.

Rest I have no clue/care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)