Victim Of The Week [VoTW #27 - Zygarde / Zygarde-Complete]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solerme's Rotom-W

Immune to Fissure and EQ and can switch in pretty freely against Mamoswine, while Mamoswine has little to none options of beating Rotom-W safely which usually results in a switch that Rotom-W can get momentum off of due to Volt Switch. Also a viable pick in the metagame in as well.

Solerme's Rotom-W

As per GateCreeper, but also, Mamo doesn't learn a single Grass-type move to take on this Rotom variant (Apart from the unused HP Grass). Mamo's only chance really is a combo of AncientPower boosts on the switch followed by Freeze-Dry, but this requires significant Sp.Atk investment and lots of luck to pull this off.

I just wanted to point out that Rotom-W has to watch out for some variants which it doesn't beat as easy as you make it out to be. (That's what i referred to when mentioning LO Freeze-Dry calcs) Life Orb is the second most used Item on Mamoswine, and even if Freeze-Dry doesn't get the usage it deserves, it still threatens especially Rotom-W:

0 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 73-88 (47 - 56.7%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO
0- SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 65-81 (41.9 - 52.2%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So, if Rotom attempts to get momentum off of a 'forced' switch, the player must at least know if you are facing a LO variant IMO before making the Volt Switch play, otherwise you might get 2HKO'd by a mixed LO Mamo without doing anything against it. Same for a switchin: if the Mamoswine user is using the right set and predicts the switchin, suddenly your Rotom is forced out by the pokemon it is supposed to beat.
I know the usage of this is pretty low and mixed nature sets currently only make up about 1%, you still should at least keep that in mind when choosing Rotom-W that there are variants that can beat you on switchin or a predict that suddenly turns out bad.

tl;dr: use Freeze-Dry Mamo more often so it gets the usage it deserves

Solerme's Rotom-W

Solerme's Rotom-W

Immune to Fissure and EQ and can switch in pretty freely against Mamoswine, while Mamoswine has little to none options of beating Rotom-W safely which usually results in a switch that Rotom-W can get momentum off of due to Volt Switch. Also a viable pick in the metagame in as well.
Same opinion :)
I just wanted to point out that Rotom-W has to watch out for some variants which it doesn't beat as easy as you make it out to be. (That's what i referred to when mentioning LO Freeze-Dry calcs) Life Orb is the second most used Item on Mamoswine, and even if Freeze-Dry doesn't get the usage it deserves, it still threatens especially Rotom-W:

0 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 73-88 (47 - 56.7%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO
0- SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 65-81 (41.9 - 52.2%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So, if Rotom attempts to get momentum off of a 'forced' switch, the player must at least know if you are facing a LO variant IMO before making the Volt Switch play, otherwise you might get 2HKO'd by a mixed LO Mamo without doing anything against it. Same for a switchin: if the Mamoswine user is using the right set and predicts the switchin, suddenly your Rotom is forced out by the pokemon it is supposed to beat.
I know the usage of this is pretty low and mixed nature sets currently only make up about 1%, you still should at least keep that in mind when choosing Rotom-W that there are variants that can beat you on switchin or a predict that suddenly turns out bad.

tl;dr: use Freeze-Dry Mamo more often so it gets the usage it deserves
Also true, but I can never fit in all the moves I want on Mamoswine.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So for me, I felt like in order to be the best Mamoswine counter, you need a Ground immunity, because the Assault Vest set is a huge bastard with Fissure that makes switching in other bulky stuff a big problem imo. Now of course I get one vote, so I gotta whittle stuff down!

I gotta kick Gyarados and Vikavolt out because Mamoswine running Rock moves isn't totally out there in this day and age, so I come down to Cresselia, Rotom-W, Celesteela, and Skarmory. This is where things get really tough!

I knock Rotom-W out because while its uncommon, Freeze Dry Mamoswine is a nasty surprise while actually being a legitimate lure in its own right.

Weezing gets the boot because... I don't think it's really that good of a Pokemon sadly, and Pain Split isn't very good recovery.

Cresselia is really good, but I've been seeing a few Toxic Mamoswines on cart, so I guess I'll reluctantly knock that out.

So... it comes down to Skarmory vs Celesteela. This is really tough and I kept going back and forth between the two... but I've settled for cant say 's Skarmory.

In general, I find Celesteela an easier fit for more teams since it's ok offensive presence makes it harder to set up on, but I give Skarmory the edge here because of Roost. As great as Celesteela is, offensive teams can totally wear it down to the point where Mamoswine can snipe it with Icicle Spear. With Skarmory, you're usually using it on a stall team, so if you play your cards right, Skarmory can come in every time and wall the crap out of it. No one uses the old Blizzard Mamoswine from gen 4's past anymore, so Skarmory isn't worried about any kind of crazy wtf surprises. You can't even Toxic Skarmory, so wearing it down is tough compared to other floating Pokemon.

I honestly don't think the Fissure issue is a big one (low usage, inconsitent), unlike Exca where Horn Drill is pretty common. If you can remove Mamo reasonably quickly, you're fine.

Anyway, GateCreeper's Cresselia is my pick. Defensively its application is broad, making it a clean fit onto a fair number of teams.

Voting for cant say's Skarmory. This thing laughs at whatever Mamo throws at it and can beat it easily. I also like how it can heal off any damage Mamo does.

Solerme's Rotom-W

Mamo is not as simple to handle as we can think. No doubt it has no counters but only checks. Wash Mamo little mon.

This was a very tough decision for me, between Skarmory and Rotom-W. Since Freeze Dry has < 1% usage now, I have to give it up for Solerme's Rotom-W . I really like the offense that it brings, along with being a safe switch in for Mamo.

Solerme's Rotom-W

Nothing else I can add here. It's just really good.

I'm going to go for Can't Say's Skarmory because Mamo is hopelessly walled by skarmory. Not to mention the fact that Skarmory is made of metal and as we all know scissors ARE made of metal...

Congratulations to Solerme for winning VoTW 14 (Mamoswine) with your submission of Rotom-Wash! Your post will be logged into the archive.

Victim Of The Week #15: Mega-Charizard X

Next up as the Victim we have Mega-Charizard X! Let's be real; you've always struggled to cover for this thing. Dragon Dance makes Zard-X one of the most threatening sweepers in the metagame, hitting extremely hard after only one boost and able to outspeed a lot of common choice scarf Pokemon at +2. Zard's ability, tough claws, works perfectly given that vast majority of its movepool are contact based. Notable moves for this include Outrage, Dragon Claw, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Fire Punch and Thunder Punch. While not contact, Zard can also run Earthquake to hit heatran and deal with Grounded steel-types without having to worry about recoil damage from Flare Blitz. Bulky sets also exist, with Zard capable of running both Will-O-Wisp to cripple opposing physical threats in conjunction with Roost. Roost is also a great option on Dragon Dance sets, providing longevity and caring less about recoil damage. Swords Dance, while uncommon, is also a solid option if the situation you're in requires raw power over speed. A threatening sweeper indeed; one which the metagame can struggle to adapt to. So, how do you deal with Mega-Charizard X?
Submissions are open and will be closed in four days from now. Best of luck everyone!

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
upload_2017-5-13_0-42-6.png

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Ice / Fire
- Thunderbolt

Really cool anti-meta mon. Outspeeds +1 Zard and OHKOes with Power Gem unless it's running a lot of HP. While it can't switch in Zard-X, Nihilego can check both of the megas in only one slot.

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Yawn
- Whirlwind / Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

This is the classic Rocky Helmet wall set. Slack Off is reliable recovery, Yawn is the first move that should be used on a healthy XZard, and it could eventually sleep more than one Pokemon on the opposing team. Whirlwind washes away XZard's boosts, while Stealth Rock damages XZard upon switching in. Earthquake is the only attacking move on the set, dealing super-effective damage and making it the perfect move to damage weakened XZard. Sand Stream eliminates the possibility of Solar Beam surprise KOing it.

+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz/Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 171-202 (79.5 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 116-138 (75.8 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Even a Swords Dance XZard can't OHKO Don, while Don can use Yawn to cripple either it or one of your switch ins (unless it's a Ghost-type).

Last edited:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Again ScarfChomp is a good check to common boosting threats. Zard X needs to set up a Flame Charge to outspeed Garchomp and retaliate. At +1 Zard X can't outspeed ScarfChomp and will die from a second Earthquake.

Offensive calcs

VS Offensive Zard X
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 158-188 (103.2 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 188-224 (122.8 - 146.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Defensive Zard X
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 164 HP / 116 Def Mega Charizard X: 140-168 (80.4 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 164 HP / 116 Def Mega Charizard X: 168-200 (96.5 - 114.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Defensive calcs

VS Offensive Zard X
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 306-362 (166.3 - 196.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 32-38 (17.3 - 20.6%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 204-242 (110.8 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Defensive Zard X
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 24-29 (13 - 15.7%)
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 230-272 (125 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 152-182 (82.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Search and Destroy Rhyperior

Rhyperior(Rocky Helmet)
Ability : Solid Rock
EVs : 164 HP / 94 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature

Earthquake
Rock Blast
Metal Burst/Stealth Rock
Roar/Dragon Tail/Ice Punch

The only thing that Rhyperior fears is a +1/+2 Outrage from Adamant Zard-X on the switch-in(very rare scenario) which 2HKOs Rhyperior, anything else is no problem. From its side Rhyperior has a 75% chance to OHKO Zard-X not counting in the rocky helmet damage from moves like Flame Charge , Outrage , Flare Blitz etc whom make the OHKO secure.
Calcs below :
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 164 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 177-208 (83.8 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 164 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 88-105 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
94 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 150-176 (98 - 115%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

The last two moveslots can be arranged in order to fit better your team.
Rhyperior gives a lot of trouble to pokemon like Mega-Mence, Mimikyu , Blaziken , Volcarona etc

Tyranitar @ Sitrus Berry / Chople Berry / Rocky Helmet / Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb / Foul Play
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast / Taunt / Pursuit

Tried to do something that covers both Zard variants, since one of the biggest things that makes Charizard such a threat is the possibility of both mega's, which each require a different way of playing against them; the Y variant is also a bit more common at the moment, so it doesn't hurt to have an answer to that in the same slot.
Tyranitar is really bulky and beats most Charizard X while resetting ZardY's Drought, though it has to be a bit careful around Adamant SD CharX - but Rock Tomb is a safe 2HKO and Foul Play KO's if you click it the turn your opponent uses SD - it's more of a check to that variant (14% SD usage). Stealth Rocks are amazing against both Charizards though, and given that you could capitalize on Tyranitar's Sand Stream (besides the SpD-boost for Ttar itself) to revenge both Zards with Excadrill under Sand, it is definitely a cool pick here.
Tyranitar can make use of a variety of items to suit your needs: Sitrus prevents a bunch of 2HKO's, if you are afraid of Focus Blast ZardY, Chople is the one for you. Rocky Helmet provides chip damage against the physical Attackers that Ttar can switch into, while Smooth Rock can be used in Sand cores to give Excadrill a better shot at sweeping entire teams. The moveset is just as customizable; both STAB options are great, Foul Play stops physical setuppers in a blink and beats Aegislash, but Rock Tomb is better if you want to cover ZardY too, while also stopping foes from setting up speed boosts/slowing opponents down to the point where another pokemon can revenge. Fire Blast severely damages Ferrothorn and other steel types, which are common switchins; Taunt on the switch can also prevent setups on Ttar, as well as crippling more defensive and support Pokémon. Lastly, Pursuit can secure that Tyranitar beats certain pokemon, doing a lot of damage against the Psychic and Ghost types on the switch it is forcing.
12 SpA EVs give Tyranitar a much better shot on KOing Mega Salamence with Ice Beam + Sand damage on the setup; Shuca Berry is an option if you want to be able to revenge +2 Adamant Mence and beat Tectonic Rage Lando-T 1on1, to name one example (on Charizard X, Outrage already hits harder than EQ thanks to Tough Claws).
Relaxed Nature with 31 Spe IVs lets Tyranitar outspeed Mega Mawile and Hippowdon to taunt, while still underspeeding all neutral speed natured Aegislash variants and KOing back if carrying Foul Play; it's also the nature of choice to allow Tyranitar to run both physical and special attacks to their full potential.
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 100-118 (48.3 - 57%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 150-177 (72.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 199-235 (96.1 - 113.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 84-98 (54.9 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
+2 0 Atk Tyranitar Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 163-193 (106.5 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Chople Berry: covering all Charizard-Y variants
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar: 158-188 (76.3 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar: 176-208 (85 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 216-256 (141.1 - 167.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Other calcs:
252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 92-110 (44.4 - 53.1%) -- 24.2% chance to 2HKO
12 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 148-176 (86.5 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Landorus-T Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Shuca Berry Tyranitar: 124-147 (59.9 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
12 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 160-192 (96.9 - 116.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

12 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 144-172 (79.5 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

@ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald / Waterfall
- Curse
- Recover

Jolly Chari's Outrage has 1,6% chances to 2hko with sitrus berry.
After a Curse even Adamant Chari's Outrage will never 2hko.
Earthquake is always a 2hko, having 25% chances to ohko at +1.

He is a good check, but hes unaware of it

Last edited:
Due to almost all defensive checks to X in some manner losing to Y, I prefer to play something offensive for this one. I know it's just for X, but you never know at team preview.

EDIT:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk

We all know how it works.
Sleep Talk in 4th, so you can literaly sleep on it and still win.

Take two:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 236 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Can lock in to Stone Edge agiainst un-mega'd Charizard and ohko either.
236 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 156-186 (101.9 - 121.5%)
And can switch in on a Jolly Outrage if it has to
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 4 HP / 28 Def Terrakion: 141-166 (84.4 - 99.4%)

Not the submission 'cause it's unreleased
But can we just appreciate this beaut's ability to defensively take on both X and Y

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpA / 124 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Toxic
- Cotton Guard

Last edited:
Submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions. A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on the 20/5 at 12:30pm GMT+11 (8:30pm EST 19/5), where the next Vitim Of The Week will also be announced
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory
Best of luck everybody!

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Ice / Fire
- Thunderbolt

Really cool anti-meta mon. Outspeeds +1 Zard and OHKOes with Power Gem unless it's running a lot of HP. While it can't switch in Zard-X, Nihilego can check both of the megas in only one slot.
Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Yawn
- Whirlwind / Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

This is the classic Rocky Helmet wall set. Slack Off is reliable recovery, Yawn is the first move that should be used on a healthy XZard, and it could eventually sleep more than one Pokemon on the opposing team. Whirlwind washes away XZard's boosts, while Stealth Rock damages XZard upon switching in. Earthquake is the only attacking move on the set, dealing super-effective damage and making it the perfect move to damage weakened XZard. Sand Stream eliminates the possibility of Solar Beam surprise KOing it.

+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz/Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 171-202 (79.5 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 116-138 (75.8 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Even a Swords Dance XZard can't OHKO Don, while Don can use Yawn to cripple either it or one of your switch ins (unless it's a Ghost-type).

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Again ScarfChomp is a good check to common boosting threats. Zard X needs to set up a Flame Charge to outspeed Garchomp and retaliate. At +1 Zard X can't outspeed ScarfChomp and will die from a second Earthquake.

Offensive calcs
VS Offensive Zard X
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 158-188 (103.2 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 188-224 (122.8 - 146.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Defensive Zard X
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 164 HP / 116 Def Mega Charizard X: 140-168 (80.4 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 164 HP / 116 Def Mega Charizard X: 168-200 (96.5 - 114.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Defensive calcs

VS Offensive Zard X

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 306-362 (166.3 - 196.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 32-38 (17.3 - 20.6%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 204-242 (110.8 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Defensive Zard X
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 24-29 (13 - 15.7%)
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 230-272 (125 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 152-182 (82.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Search and Destroy Rhyperior

Rhyperior(Rocky Helmet)
Ability : Solid Rock
EVs : 164 HP / 94 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature

Earthquake
Rock Blast
Metal Burst/Stealth Rock
Roar/Dragon Tail/Ice Punch

The only thing that Rhyperior fears is a +1/+2 Outrage from Adamant Zard-X on the switch-in(very rare scenario) which 2HKOs Rhyperior, anything else is no problem. From its side Rhyperior has a 75% chance to OHKO Zard-X not counting in the rocky helmet damage from moves like Flame Charge , Outrage , Flare Blitz etc whom make the OHKO secure.
Calcs below :
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 164 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 177-208 (83.8 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 164 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 88-105 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
94 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 150-176 (98 - 115%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

The last two moveslots can be arranged in order to fit better your team.
Rhyperior gives a lot of trouble to pokemon like Mega-Mence, Mimikyu , Blaziken , Volcarona etc

Tyranitar @ Sitrus Berry / Chople Berry / Rocky Helmet / Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb / Foul Play
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast / Taunt / Pursuit
Tried to do something that covers both Zard variants, since one of the biggest things that makes Charizard such a threat is the possibility of both mega's, which each require a different way of playing against them; the Y variant is also a bit more common at the moment, so it doesn't hurt to have an answer to that in the same slot.
Tyranitar is really bulky and beats most Charizard X while resetting ZardY's Drought, though it has to be a bit careful around Adamant SD CharX - but Rock Tomb is a safe 2HKO and Foul Play KO's if you click it the turn your opponent uses SD - it's more of a check to that variant (14% SD usage). Stealth Rocks are amazing against both Charizards though, and given that you could capitalize on Tyranitar's Sand Stream (besides the SpD-boost for Ttar itself) to revenge both Zards with Excadrill under Sand, it is definitely a cool pick here.
Tyranitar can make use of a variety of items to suit your needs: Sitrus prevents a bunch of 2HKO's, if you are afraid of Focus Blast ZardY, Chople is the one for you. Rocky Helmet provides chip damage against the physical Attackers that Ttar can switch into, while Smooth Rock can be used in Sand cores to give Excadrill a better shot at sweeping entire teams. The moveset is just as customizable; both STAB options are great, Foul Play stops physical setuppers in a blink and beats Aegislash, but Rock Tomb is better if you want to cover ZardY too, while also stopping foes from setting up speed boosts/slowing opponents down to the point where another pokemon can revenge. Fire Blast severely damages Ferrothorn and other steel types, which are common switchins; Taunt on the switch can also prevent setups on Ttar, as well as crippling more defensive and support Pokémon. Lastly, Pursuit can secure that Tyranitar beats certain pokemon, doing a lot of damage against the Psychic and Ghost types on the switch it is forcing.
12 SpA EVs give Tyranitar a much better shot on KOing Mega Salamence with Ice Beam + Sand damage on the setup; Shuca Berry is an option if you want to be able to revenge +2 Adamant Mence and beat Tectonic Rage Lando-T 1on1, to name one example (on Charizard X, Outrage already hits harder than EQ thanks to Tough Claws).
Relaxed Nature with 31 Spe IVs lets Tyranitar outspeed Mega Mawile and Hippowdon to taunt, while still underspeeding all neutral speed natured Aegislash variants and KOing back if carrying Foul Play; it's also the nature of choice to allow Tyranitar to run both physical and special attacks to their full potential.
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 100-118 (48.3 - 57%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 150-177 (72.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 199-235 (96.1 - 113.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 84-98 (54.9 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
+2 0 Atk Tyranitar Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 163-193 (106.5 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Chople Berry: covering all Charizard-Y variants
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar: 158-188 (76.3 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar: 176-208 (85 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 216-256 (141.1 - 167.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Other calcs:
252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Tyranitar: 92-110 (44.4 - 53.1%) -- 24.2% chance to 2HKO
12 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 148-176 (86.5 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Landorus-T Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Shuca Berry Tyranitar: 124-147 (59.9 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
12 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 160-192 (96.9 - 116.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

12 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 144-172 (79.5 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald / Waterfall
- Curse
- Recover

Jolly Chari's Outrage has 1,6% chances to 2hko with sitrus berry.
After a Curse even Adamant Chari's Outrage will never 2hko.
Earthquake is always a 2hko, having 25% chances to ohko at +1.

He is a good check, but hes unaware of it

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 236 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Can lock in to Stone Edge agiainst un-mega'd Charizard and ohko either.
236 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 156-186 (101.9 - 121.5%)
And can switch in on a Jolly Outrage if it has to
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 4 HP / 28 Def Terrakion: 141-166 (84.4 - 99.4%)

Not the submission 'cause it's unreleased
But can we just appreciate this beaut's ability to defensively take on both X and Y
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpA / 124 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Toxic
- Cotton Guard

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well first let me say: Dragon Dance is bad don't use it ok, Flame Charge Swords Dance for life

At first I thought I will just always vote for Nihilego at this point haha. It is such a solid choice for everything. And unlike some of the other sets it's not too unusual. All of the other choices are more niche or fail for some reason or another. I really dislike Quagsire as a Charizard check because Outrage does like 60% or more while Adamant, although Curse is interesting it can't switch in.

Still, I think I will vote for Fischgrat's Tyranitar because A: it is my favorite Pokemon and B: I really like how customizable it is. Rock Tomb and Foul Play are great ways to punish Charizard for setting up. I think most importantly it gives it insurance if it's not able to beat Charizard on its own. After that damage, Excadrill can come in and revenge kill Charizard with its +2 speed, thanks to Rock Tomb lowering Charizard's speed (if you let Charizard get to +3 Speed I really just don't know what to say to you man).

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know this is about Mega Charizard X, but in a realistic situation, you don't know what kind of Charizard you'll be facing, so I think the best checks are going to be the Pokemon that can deal with both Charizards.

Since Mega Altaria isn't released (which is a shame, I feel like that thing might be better than it was last gen lol), that leaves us with the 3 Scarfers: Nihilego, Garchomp, and Terrakion!

Honestly I think all 3 are good choices... I think I'll vote for ThickFatAzumarill's Nihilego just because I appreciate that it's a scarfer that can straight up clean up teams with Beast Boost, has a 100% accurate move, and it doesn't have to worry about the rare Will-O-Wisp. Terrakion may be a bit better in other ways however, because I like how it deals with those Ferrothorn switch-ins that plague the other two, and nailing Porygon2 is mad cool for a scarfer as well. Really, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)