Video Game Music

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red Rescue Team was what introduced me to Pokemon at a young age and I too would just sit around and listen to the music. Blue was one of my first video games, buying it from a car boot sale because there was an insane deal of like 3 games for £10, and although my memory never ceases to fail me in other aspects the music always puts me right back into the shoes of my younger self.

One of my favorite games of this year has one of the best video game soundtracks of all time, in my opinion: Paper Mario: The Origami King. The game not only covers a wide array of genres, it's also an adaptive soundtrack (which is the sign of a truly great soundtrack, imo). Every battle theme has a thinking version, as the battle system requires you to line up your opponents before attacking them. The songs also completely immerse you in the environments. Almost all of the boss music is also amazing, and it helps what can be a slightly sluggish battle system at times. I wholeheartedly hope they release this soundtrack in an uncompressed format! I'll link some of my favorite songs in the game, but only from around the beginning. Please give the whole soundtrack a listen! There's SO MANY BANGERS

Reactions: nui

16bit

What does your soul look like?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Mentioning two of my favorite soundtracks of all-time even if you were to go outside the realm of video games, both Silent Hill 2 and VA-11 HALL-A have soundtracks that are constantly in my music rotation. Both of them are definitely reasons I'm as interested in ambient music as I am. They also both happen to be two of my favorite games of all-time, so that definitely contributes to my attachment towards them.

That does sound amazing! Do you know who remastered it?
He's called "Zame" and he does tons of remasters, a few remixes and even some original content. He has two remasters for Hugh's Battle theme (from Black and White 2) that I think are amazing as well. He doesn't miss tbh.

He's called "Zame" and he does tons of remasters, a few remixes and even some original content. He has two remasters for Hugh's Battle theme (from Black and White 2) that I think are amazing as well. He doesn't miss tbh.
I'd actually like to highlight a friend of Zame who falls completely under the radar it seems. He has amazing remasters and remixes. Here's a few:

I hope y'all give him some attention, his channel is so small yet there's so much potential there! I'm also gonna link some of my favorite Zame songs

Havi

three of swords
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator

yea i know this is quite a lot it's fr hard to pick like a few favorites, they're so good:psycry:
i'd throw in the whole soundtrack of chrono trigger as well

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Non-Pokemon stuff
Sonic Adventure 2 has some bangers. Everyone loves City Escape but I think these are way better:

Castlevania has some really good ones that I often listen to when battling:

These are just some really nostalgic bangers:

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
cave story OST. that's it. that's the post.

(literal 16 years old game go listen to the tracks they aged like a fine wine)

I've been listening to and really appreciating the original Spyro The Dragon OST recently. For those of you who don't know, the soundtrack was composed by Stewart Copeland, the former drummer of The Police.

I just wanna drop one of the best Pokemon themes ever from Super Mystery Dungeon. It's the final boss theme, so if you want the final boss to have that PUNCH and you haven't played it before, I recommend not listening to it. It's literally so epic.

I know VA-11 HALL-A was already mentioned here but the soundtrack is so good that it deserves more attention.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
since we are just listing favorites here are some of my top picks. in no particular order....

rocket jump waltz (tf2)
wine wars (witcher 3)
strider battle + garage combine (half life alyx)
wind guide you (skyrim)
vs champion (frlg)
wind scene (chrono trigger)
in temeria (witcher 2)
-
unreasonable behavior + a minuit a fond la caisse (off)

off in particular (an older french rpgmaker game) has a very interesting original soundtrack that mixes good melodies with a general feeling of unease. the sense of dread in question makes more sense when you play the game and is more evident in other tracks... i just like those two and the boss fight, japhet/valerie, that it overlays. i enjoy off a lot and its general aesthetic. i usually wouldnt recommend a game like this but you may like it if you played undertale but wished it was more evil, or something.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Been a bit since I posted here, so I'll post a few, mostly from games I've been playing lately

Sunset (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor) - Putting this first because it's by far my fav of this batch. It's a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I think Devil Survivor 1 has a weaker OST than the sequel. That being said, this song is absolutely gorgeous (especially when the overdrive guitar kicks in); it plays at the end of each of the game's chapters and it's a wonderfully bittersweet way to cap off several hours of tense gameplay and story

Dire Dire Docks (Super Mario 64) - I'm partial to most Mario music to be honest (save for Galaxy), but I was really surprised to find myself subconsciously humming this song while playing lol

Another Winter (Stage 1) (Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game) - Never got around to playing this when it was on XBLA, so I'm pretty excited to play the upcoming port :D I've known this song is amazing for a while though, shoutouts to Anamanaguchi

Crimson Dragon's Theme (Final Boss) (Mega Man Starforce 3) - I already loved this song before I played Starforce 3, but I only love it even more after playing it. The nebulous intensity of the first half contrasts perfectly with the much more heroic, albeit bittersweet (this game is the finale for the series after all), and fittingly more easily hummable second half, love it love it loooove it. Would also quickly like to shoutout Rivals Unite (officially known as Shot & Slash) because it's awesome

Golden Silver's Theme (Final Boss) (Gunstar Heroes) - Golden Silver's theme is a completely different beast from Crimson Dragon, in that it's straight up TERRIFYING. For a bit of context, Golden Silver is an invincible space god of destruction who was awoken from slumber and is completely out of control and bent on wiping out the universe. And god damn, does this song reflect that. Those opening two notes hit hard as hell, the strange way the siren and horns desync, those insane chords in the second leg of the song, and then those wailing sirens that make it seem like it's building up to something only to end the loop in an abrupt it's just...such a cool boss theme but I might be looking into it too much. It's like if Giygas's theme was coherent

The Battle Was Just To Continue That Future (Stage 5) (Dodonpachi Resurrection) - I bought this game recently thanks to Steam Sale (I've been meaning to for years now actually) and goooood this game is so much fun and I wish I played it sooner. The game's OST is absolutely incredible (shoutouts to Manabu Namiki), so go check it out in full if you can, but this is probably the best and most iconic track. There's even a completely different, EDM-heavy OST for the game's Black Label update so check that out as well (feature an awesome song by Azusa Chiba, one of the composers for Pokemon Typing Adventure lol). If that wasn't enough the game's also got a remix OST for the game Ketsui, with all of the remixes done by...Jake Kaufman of all people LOL. Point is, go listen to any Dodonpachi music or any music from a CAVE game, it's all amazing. And play this game too, it actually has some great "Easy" modes for bullet hell noobs like me (it's not weeb shit I swear)

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Been binging on a lot of Blazblue music recently and remembering how much I looooooved the OSTs of those games when I was in high school (and how often they get taken down from Youtube and how a lot of the remaining uploads aren't of high quality.-.). So here's just a few of my many favs. If you're a big fan of battle themes I highly recommend you check these OSTs out

And what are straight-up two of my favorite battle themes ever:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)